Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on November 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

[C]ould the Romney campaign have done more to make their guy likable when it counted?

I’ve heard a few theories on this from people who either covered the campaign from the outside or were close with those who ran it from the inside. The most widespread explanation is that the campaign made a deliberate decision to limit the resources spent selling Romney-the-man. The thinking was that they couldn’t beat the president on likability in any event, and were better served by selling Romney, to paraphrase Ramesh Ponnuru, as a robot programmed to create jobs. A second, less obvious but perhaps more intriguing, theory is that leading with an account of Romney’s good deeds would have entailed delving deeply into the weeds of Mormonism (because, for example, much of Romney’s personal kindnesses came in his capacity as a church leader, and much of his charitable donations came in the form of tithing) and that this would have opened a whole new can of invertebrates that the campaign wasn’t eager to deal with.

One or both may well be true, and, combined with Romney’s apparent constitutional incapability to pat himself on the back for being a decent human being, they may have made the cuddlization of Romney a dubious strategy. But it isn’t as if the campaign worked to keep the stories secret. It did what it could, in convention testimonials, in YouTube ads, and in the mouths of surrogates (not least Paul Ryan in the nationally televised VP debate, though his boosterism was lost in the vice president’s Nicholsonesque cackling), to spread the word. But it was not preponderating.

***

The messy aftermath of his failure suggests that Romney, a political amalgam with no natural constituency beyond the business community, is unlikely to play a significant role in rebuilding his party, many Republicans said this week.

“He’s not going to be running for anything in the future,” said Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (R-Idaho), who sharply criticized Romney’s comments about Hispanics. “He’s not our standard-bearer, unfortunately.”

Romney adviser Stuart Stevens strongly disagreed, calling Romney “the most popular Republican on the national scene at the moment,” given the votes he received on Election Day. Views of defeated candidates can change dramatically over time, Stevens added.

“Even those who have been critical of the campaign on our side realize in the end that Governor Romney was resonating with millions of Americans and was running the kind of campaign we could all be proud of,” Stevens said.

***

In the countless hours I spent in Romney’s presence during his first White House run (and mostly from a greater distance during his second bid), I saw a man who was preternaturally upbeat, well-meaning, and kind to just about everyone he encountered, friends and strangers alike.

But I also saw a candidate who seemed by nature almost uniquely ill-equipped to appeal to the young and minority voters who ended up playing a key role in his electoral demise.

Members of the press who traveled with Romney in 2007 and early 2008 began slowly to pick up on what would become an established media narrative by the time Romney was the 2012 front-runner: The former Massachusetts governor didn’t just have a difficult time relating to young and minority voters, he often came across as a walking-talking time warp from the 1950s…

Romney’s overall argument was that he would make the economy better for everyone. But he steadfastly refused to take the next step and make his case on a narrower level, convincing critical demographic groups that he would specifically improve their lives and their communities.

***

Romney is being erased with record speed from his party’s books for three reasons. First, many Republicans backed him because they thought he had a good chance of winning; that appeal, obviously, is gone. Second, Romney had shallow roots, and few friends, in the national Republican Party. And those shallow roots have allowed Republicans to give him a new role: As a sort of bad partisan bank, freighted with all the generational positions and postures that they are looking to dump.

“Romney is now a toxic asset to unload,” the historian Jack Bohrer remarked Saturday. “The only interesting thing left to his story is how they dispose of him.”…

There is an irony that Romney, the moderate, will be forced to carry off Todd Akin’s baggage on reproductive rights; Joe Arpaio’s on immigration; and James Dobson on gay rights. But when he cast popular policies as “gifts” to Obama voters (ignoring both his and Obama’s expensive promises to older voters), his decision to, as Bobby Jindal put it, “insult” the demographic groups who are a larger part of each successive electorate offered the Republicans the pivot they had been looking for toward presenting a younger, more diverse, and more inclusive party.

***

“If we want people to like us, we have to like them first. And you don’t start to like people by insulting them and saying their votes were bought,” Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, chairman of the Republican Governors Association, told the “Fox News Sunday” program…

Jindal said: “We need to make it very clear – we’re not the party trying to protect the rich. They can protect themselves. We are the party that wants growth, pro-growth policies.”

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, vice chairman of the Republican Governors Association, also called for a more inclusive message from Republicans…

“We have to show that we are serious about reaching out and helping everyone, not just a group here, not just a group there,” Walker added.

***

In 2008, Republicans again preached the gospel of Rove and his allies—Ed Gillespie, Dana Perino, and basically everyone tied to American Crossroads. They told us that only John McCain could defeat this amateur, Barack Obama. Obama was too liberal for the electorate, they said. He had too much baggage. The country liked the Bush administration’s approach more than the “biased” polls let on. McCain was a perfect nominee because he was not an ideologue. (At one point after his loss to Bush in 2000, McCain even flirted with being a Democrat.) This guy was back and forth on so many issues that nobody was ever certain where he might land. That made him an ideal candidate to reach out to moderates and independents. Say, any of that sound familiar?

In 2012, these same people came back again, as overconfident and unchastened as ever. This time, they had most of the right-wing media on their side, regurgitating their views and attitudes to the exclusion of all others. Mitt Romney was the perfect candidate to stop Obama—so much so that anyone who got in his way was immediately attacked and marginalized. Rove used his perch as an “analyst” on Fox News to personally attack not only Newt Gingrich (who I worked for), but Herman Cain, and Sarah Palin, and Rick Perry, and Jon Huntsman, and on and on. So what if Mitt Romney once berated the Republican Party, the Reagan administration, pro-lifers, and the religious right—in other words, his own party’s base. Republicans needed him to win…

When I worked with Rove briefly at the White House, I found him to be a smart, energetic, capable man. Maybe more than I even realized. In the past two election cycles, he and his acolytes have personally helped Barack Obama get elected and yet made millions in the process. You tell me who the dummy is—Rove or the people who keep listening to him and funding him. Come to think of it, who really deserves the blame for what’s befallen the GOP?

***

What unites all of these stories is the growing failure of America’s local associations — civic, familial, religious — to foster stability, encourage solidarity and make mobility possible.

This is a crisis that the Republican Party often badly misunderstands, casting Democratic-leaning voters as lazy moochers or spoiled children seeking “gifts” (as a certain former Republican presidential nominee would have it) rather than recognizing the reality of their economic struggles.

But if conservatives don’t acknowledge the crisis’s economic component, liberalism often seems indifferent to its deeper social roots. The progressive bias toward the capital-F Future, the old left-wing suspicion of faith and domesticity, the fact that Democrats have benefited politically from these trends — all of this makes it easy for liberals to just celebrate the emerging America, to minimize the costs of disrupted families and hollowed-out communities, and to treat the places where Americans have traditionally found solidarity outside the state (like the churches threatened by the Obama White House’s contraceptive mandate) as irritants or threats.

This is a great flaw in the liberal vision, because whatever role government plays in prosperity, transfer payments are not a sufficient foundation for middle-class success.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

***

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

. Do you still not like me?

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

No… I don’t.

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

She was sabotaged by the McCain people, and if you followed it as closely as I imagine you did, you know that. Not making excuses for her, just stating facts.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Many of Palin’s problems were created by ditsy Nicolle Wallace, who has become a darling of the left. Wallace was responsible for the $125k wardrobe and the four hour session with Katie Couric.

bw222 on November 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

DARN I hate SoCons.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

meant to say DARN I dislike SoCons some of the time :) Hate is way too strong a word unless referring to the Dog Eating Kenyan.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

That’s where I am now but I’ll get over it. I’ll find something worth fighting for.

Cindy Munford on November 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Let it Burn. And we who rise from the ashes will set the world right. Washington, DC has become the enemy of the people and all this country is supposed to stand for. Let it Burn. Then resurrect it.

What have we to lose?

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

If I say “Let it Burn” — setting aside the fact that someone’s harshed my mellow but good — it’s because I think it’s burning and I don’t have the ability to put it out. But excellent Cindy Munford, it doesn’t mean there’s nothing to fight for. It’s almost the opposite of capitulation; it’s entrenchment. These things are true, best I can tell, those things are false, and I’m through arguing. I’ll live according to these rules, you live according to those. That kind of thing.

Only a great fool would call the new political science diabolic: it has no attributes peculiar to fallen angels … nevertheless one may say of it that it fiddles while Rome burns. It is excused by two facts: it does not know that it fiddles, and it does not know that Rome burns.

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

The Republican Party needs to stop insulting voters

And HotAir needs to stop insulting my intelligence by continuing to beat this dead horse.

Enough already.

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

AAAAAAAAAAmen! Enough already!

Quite frankly, this “likeable” meme turned this whole election into a high school popularity contest. Witness the amount of time that Obysmal spent on shallow entertainment television venues and hip hop radio station interviews. Our media turned the seriousness of this election into bread and circuses, throwing away the only two adults in the room: Romney and Ryan.

onlineanalyst on November 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM

The MSM had to come up with SOMEthing, because he sure couldn’t run on his dismal record. They scraped and scraped and found “likeability” at the bottom of the barrel. Personally, I don’t think he is remotely likeable.

herm2416 on November 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Uh, yeah, that’s what it’s always been. It’s in the nature of, you know, elections. It’s not HR looking over resumes.

As for Romney’s “crime”, it’s that he was a political jellyfish. A gray blur with no real definition.

ddrintn on November 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

LOL- yeah, I’m sure their was much angst within the ranks of the American Idol/Kardashian voter over the policy and foreign policy positions of the two candidates. Mitt shoulda politicized pounded Benghazi, dammit

FlaMurph on November 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

No… I don’t.

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I know you don’t old man! :) I don’t much like former druggies who turn self righteous as soon as they quit.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I have no idea who you are, JPeterman – but this is the most coherent, cogent and perspicacious post on this thread. It also explicitly illustrates why this very post from Allahpundit is the LEAST helpful thing one could do.

Thank you.

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Just a dumb immigrant from the Eastern Bloc who waited in line to become a citizen the legal way.

How foolish of me to wait all those years/

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Wow, a fantasy. Israel (minus the liberals already there) & US conservatives move into Mexico. First thing on the agenda: an impenetrable border. Make sure we have a copy of the Constitution…or just give us the original; the liberals have been trashing it for years.

Belle on November 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

They have some lovely beaches there! I’m game. Ooh, but we’ll need to take out the drug cartels first.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

It wasn’t just social cons. I have a friend who lives in an upper middle class area (north of Detroit). He was shocked that at 4:30 he was able to walk into his lily-white precinct and vote. The people in his area aren’t primarily social cons. They are people with a comfortable standard of living who didn’t take the effort to vote.

bw222 on November 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

If you can, start reading the section that begins on page 130 (in the hardcover) “A New Tribe?”

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I don’t know what book y’all are talking about. I didn’t scroll back up to see. But I just bought one that was recommended by one of the columnists at Townhall (J. Goldberb?).

Anne Applebaum–Iron Curtain, The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to buy it until I saw it at Barnes & Noble yesterday. I thumbed through it and found a couple of very interesting passages on page 316. Passages that make me think of where we’re headed, and passages that JP could likely relate to in a way none of us could possibly do.

“Children and young people offered the most enticing prospects to party propagandists–they were, literally, the party’s future. But party activists also felt they had a special mission to win over blue-collar industrial workers, …

In order to raise the consciousness of the working class, they therefore turned factories and work places into centers for ideological education too, using some of the same techniques–lectures,banners, posters, rallies–as they deployed in schools.”

I’ve got a Flynn novel to finish first, then I’m going to dive into this book headlong.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I don’t much like former druggies who turn self righteous as soon as they quit.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

It probably has something to do with ALL my friends DYING.

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

How foolish of me to wait all those years/

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Especially since it seems you might have arrived just as this party is winding down.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

My Daughter will graduate from College in a Socialist Country..

Far different then the country she grew up in..

Electrongod on November 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

By being compassionate and refusing to secure the border or deport illegals we have pretty much given our country away locked up the vote in perpetuity — the DNC.

bw222 on November 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

bw222 on November 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

yeah, you’re right – but generalization is my favorite fallacy. I’m sure plenty SoCons stayed home though, because of the Mormon thing.

If you think about it, it’s pretty absurd. Joe Smith and his Golden Tablets. Joe’s fourth wife was probably Jane Doe.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

What about Jim DeMint?

Belle on November 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

My Daughter will graduate from College in a Socialist Country..

Far different then the country she grew up in..

Electrongod on November 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Well..

I am unprepared for this..

Are there any books that I can read?

Electrongod on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

It probably has something to do with ALL my friends DYING.

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

ALL my friends didn’t die, just some. The others went to prison. Guess how many died and went to prison for weed? none

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

This would appear to be the reason why.

You didn’t happen to see this and this yesterday, did you?

I posted it originally in the thread about the bible publisher winning a third injunction against Obamacare.

My blood is still boiling over it.

PatriotGal2257 on November 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM

…I missed that…rather upsetting!

KOOLAID2 on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

They recently got a bunch of new rifles, too. You guys ever thought of El Caribe? You just have to deal with the occasional guerrilla there.

Guer, not Go. Huge difference.

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

My intent in supporting “Let it Burn” is strategic. The hand-out crowd will never survive it. The self-sufficient will.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

3 million SoCons didn’t show up to vote, so I think you’re overstating their waning influence.

Across the board conservatives didn’t show up. Because the Republicans ran a liberal.

Run a conservative. Win.

18-1 on November 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I am a soc con. I not only voted for Romney but I even sent him a contribution (something I said I would never do). Like I said earlier, you can’t blame it all on soc cons. There is a sizeable percentage of middle class people who didn’t vote.

I am wondering if the lines of people in cities weren’t comprised of many who voted numeroud times. If you’re not working, it’s easy enough to do in states without voter ID.

bw222 on November 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Guer, not Go. Huge difference.

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hmmmm. Yes, the guerillas could pose a problem…maybe we could teach them sign language and perhaps give them a kitten? That always worked in my Weekly Readers.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You’re right, of course. I was just being a bit snotty.

As much as I admire Sarah, and would love for her to run – and win – I know that the traitorous media would drop everything to try to destroy her. As would the old-line “traditional” GOP.
I doubt that there is any combination of circumstances that would give Sarah the win.
I suppose that the best we could hope for would be that a Republican president would name her to a powerful cabinet post where she could do some good.
Until then, she needs to keep doing what she’s doing now.

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I personally prefer “Crash and Burn!”

better ring to it

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hey, Mexicans took over our country. Maybe they’re on to something.
Us conservatives will soon be taxed out of ours.

Belle on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

The election is over, the talking is done.
‘My’ party lost, your party won.

So let us move on, let arguments pass.
I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss your a*s.

Schadenfreude on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Are you ready for the mess?

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Guess how many people from my small hometown graduated from getting high to being strung out on heroin? Many. Very many.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Until then, she needs to keep doing what she’s doing now.

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Agreed.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Romney is far from toxic. He’s the most decent man I’ve ever seen run for the Presidency.

MrX on November 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Indeed.

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Run a conservative. Win.

18-1 on November 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

absolutely. But a constitutional and fiscal conservative, not a bible thumping con like Santy that spends like a liberal.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

The Republican Party needs to stop insulting voters

Enough already.

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Stroke of Genius – or at least a Masterstroke!! …….and words that some of the “posters” here would do WELL to heed……

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Are you ready for the mess?

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Yep.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

KOOLAID2 on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Here are the links for you: Why the GOP will not do anything about voter fraud and the actual case summary: DNC v. RNC.

Someone else here — sorry, can’t remember who — posted both of these yesterday, so I read them and bookmarked them myself. This really needs to be shouted from the heavens and sent far and wide, and it needs to be dealt with somehow.

PatriotGal2257 on November 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM

….and words that some of the “posters” here would do WELL to heed……

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If they did that, their lives would be empty.

And only three “…”‘s are grammatically correct.

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Run a conservative. Win.

18-1 on November 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

ObamaPhone woman would have never voted for a Conservative..

It would require her to actually lift a finger to do for herself..
Unrealistic.

So the real issue is the squishies..

And they are getting by financially but are lied to by their media..

Electrongod on November 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Yep.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

It ain’t gonna’ be pretty, and there will be lots of changes for many years, if what you are thinkin’ about happens. It would make the patriot Act seem tame.

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Anne Applebaum–Iron Curtain, The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

This one, right?

Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956

Someone sent it to me a few weeks ago and I should be able to get to it in the next few weeks or when I go back home for holiday. It’s getting rave reviews.

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

onlineanalyst on November 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I still don’t know where this “likeability” thing comes from. If I was at a party in a group and this num nut waltzed up with his schtick he would quickly be talking to himself.

arnold ziffel on November 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

…..oh…..you obviously didn’t know many people…..

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

This one, right?

Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That’s the one. I’m going to start it after the one I’m on now, then I’m going to read Gutfeld’s new one.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

The GOP will betray you

True_King on November 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

No, there are a bunch of Paulbots celebrating after having voted for Obama. There’s a ton of them who really really wanted Romney to lose, figuring that the result would prove that the wrong candidate (read that as anyone not Ron Paul) had run.

My guess is that they either stayed home or did what is worse — voted for Romney’s opponent.

Well, there’s the old maxim, America has survived many bad Presidents, and it will survive this one.

But it will not be the better for having done so.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Let it get as nasty as it needs to be. If that is what it takes to make things right–Freedom Isn’t Free.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

….and words that some of the “posters” here would do WELL to heed……

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If they did that, their lives would be empty.

And only three “…”‘s are grammatically correct.

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Oh!….you’re not capable of reading the periods carefully enough to understand them…….sorry for you!….

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

As a libertarian, I agree. Here’s one way people should think about it, IMHO:

From childhood on through as adults, what do most people hate? Being told what they can and cannot do. It is one reason for the visceral reaction to Obamacare.

The Left takes someone like Santorum and says, “He is for Big Govt when he’s in office. The only thing that makes him different is that he will tell you what you can’t do. He wants to be in your bedroom or whatever.” They say this all the while the Progressives are and have always been the Party of the Absolute Shalls. You shall absolutely do this. You shall absolutely not to that. It bears remembering that Prohibition was a Progressive idea. It is the Progressive that wants to ban lightbulbs, SUVs, meat, home-schooling, speech that hurts feelings, guns, books that promote ideas that run counter to their dogma, etc.

I hate to say this, but it is true. The focus on abortion and SSM is one that the Left loves because it permits them to make the Right out to be the rigid, prudish townsfolk from the movie Footloose, who ban dancing amongst other activities.

Resist We Much on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way.
Perhaps we need Communisto 101 Voter Fraud for Dummies.
“It isn’t who votes, it’s who counts the votes”.

Belle on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

i told you guys mitt sucked.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

But it will not be the better for having done so.

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

WINNER!! WINNER!! CHICKEN DINNER!!!…

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

MrX on November 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Indeed.

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Mitt Romney IS 100% genuine. What you see, is what you get.
I don’t believe he has an ounce of ill-will in him.

I also believe the same of Rick Santorum, and Michelle Bachmann.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Is that why he acts like that?

DeathtotheSwiss on November 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

predator on November 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I agree, but it will still be a “new normal”. Just not the one we are heading for now.

sorry for you!….

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Okay then…

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Yep.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

On a practical note, I’m trying to push things forward that I love and want pushed forward. Silver’s grand, and so are water and chocolate candy-bars. But what about a few things John Adams said? Anyway — trying to do my part to move the ball out in the world of bad graphics.

Trying to keep a balance here, but it’s hard not to feel a little freaked out when the storm clouds roll in and go from, excuse-moi, “Huh” to “Wow” to “O, s***!”

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

WINNER!! WINNER!! CHICKEN DINNER!!!…

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I second the motion.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

renalin: “i told you guys mitt sucked”.

Renalin, who & what are you?

Mitt Romney, yes, a liberal republican, but an honorable human being. Much more so that the Dear Leader in the White House.

Belle on November 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Strange, isn’t it…?

… Team Romney is the bad guy, but Obowma couldn’t run on his own record.

Seven Percent Solution on November 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Nope, you should listen to your instincts: be freaked out, be very freaked out.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Then what the heck happened?!

Way down on page four and still no tunes?

Try this, Brothers in Arms

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Actually, Santorum was the most conservative fincon this last election too. Old school Newt was marginally better – but he drank the Globull Warming koolaide at one point.

Still, someone with Santorum’s politics should be on the left end of the Republican primary spectrum – and someone like Romney should be running as a Democrat.

18-1 on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Talk to a medical professional who works with the mentally ill/drug addicted and see how benignly they feel towards marijuana.

Whether that’s enough to ban something or make it illegal YMMV, but never think that it’s nothing. Neither is alcohol and see the chaos that can cause.

kim roy on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

unclesmrgol on November 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

WINNER!! WINNER!! CHICKEN DINNER!!!…

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I second the motion.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Be it resolved … the winning comment!

PatriotGal2257 on November 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

guess how many times I did. Marijuana is not a gateway drug. If it was than the much more addictive Alcohol would be even more of one. Common Sense.

And while I’m at it, Tobacco – another much more addictive drug would be a gateway drug. The whole theory is BS. The only reason people “graduate” to heroin (me included) is because the same illegal dealers sell it along with heroin, crack, coke etc.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

i told you guys mitt sucked.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

You said a lot of things…all of them stupid.

You’re a moron.

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

18-1 on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I’m definitely no Paulbot, but he was certainly the most fiscally conservative of the candidates by far.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Try this, Brothers in Arms

cozmo on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Or, given the direction of the discussion, this.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

kim roy on November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Yep. I was actually just speaking to an acquaintance earlier tonight about her struggle to overcome her heroin addiction. She said people don’t realize that you’re addicted after three days and then you’ll spend the rest of your time trying to get some not so that you can feel ‘high’ but so you won’t feel like you’re dying. She said people think it’s just like marijuana or any other drug and they don’t realize until it’s too late. It’s very cheap now and it’s everywhere.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

i remember you. your one of the biggest of mitts butt sniffers you pathetic slug. how dare you call anyone stupid when it was idiots like you that propped up the rich boy.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

abortion

Resist We Much on November 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

We just don’t make decisions about life and death individually. I don’t get to decide whether I believe in honor killings, whether my son lives or dies — we require a certain ambiguity to put those kinds of decisions into any individual’s hands. Do we keep feeding her? Her mind’s liquified. Up to you. But not oops, baby was accidentally born alive; kill it? Those things we decide corporately, to protect ourselves.

Almost wish I could be a woman for five minutes and understand the idea that mothers can be (casual) arbiters of life and death if they want to be. I clearly don’t understand it.

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Is that why he acts like that?

DeathtotheSwiss on November 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

yes. He’s stuck in the old days when he played whole “stadiums” full of rock fans. Says he did drugs galore. And now believes pot smokers should be locked up and the key lost down a sewer somewhere.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

It’s wonderful to hear the perspective of someone whose obvious love of drugging himself makes him a greater authority than EVERY SINGLE PERSON who works with the millions of drug addicts in this country. Almost all of whom started out getting high. And everyone except Phillip Morris agrees that tobacco is a gateway drug, but look at silly me, trying to reason with a pothead!

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM

our countries future hung in the balance and the rich boy takes his frickin’ jet ski’s out.

you think he would have asked his snooty wife to can the dressage horse. but oh no. not mitt. family more important than country.

nice guy. yeah, some comfort.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I am taking the path of Gopher Girl..

Good night…

See ya tomorrow.

Electrongod on November 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

…..oh…..you obviously didn’t know many people…..

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

what?!?! Try a little more coherence and I’ll give you an answer that’s not a question.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yeah, no, I’m a woman and a mother and I don’t understand it either. Just because we can do something doesn’t mean that we should. Many examples spring to mind. But it’s important to the liberal agenda that the natural bonds of parenthood and family are broken, otherwise how can the State become the center of our lives?!? Not to mention the fact that anything that results in the existence of fewer despicable humans is the right thing to do.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Considering that the medical community is considering trading medical marijuana for opiates and narcotics should give pause with respect to the potency and addictive capabilities.

I’ve had serious flings with pot, cigarettes, pills and alcohol. The most painful are pharmaceuticals and caffeine oddly enough. Probably because I enjoy(ed) them the most.

kim roy on November 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM

nice guy. yeah, some comfort.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I’m sure it’s not intentional but your comments almost make you seem like you have a bizarre obsession with Mitt Romney’s money. I’m pretty sure that’s not why he lost the election.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Interesting – I voted for Romney…..it would EVEN EASIER to cast THIS vote:

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I’ve worked as a drug counselor, have you? Rehabs allow one to drink coffee (sometimes) but they always allow smoking cigarettes. Why is that?

Furthermore the Twelve Steps are for moron followers quite similar to Obamabots.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

kim roy on November 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I’ve never used drugs but I have seen firsthand the damage they do to both the user and the people who love and depend on them. People who advocate for making them easier to obtain make me sick.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Get stuffed, you snot-nosed little punk.

And you’re still a moron.

Solaratov on November 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM

nice guy. yeah, some comfort.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I have both a horse and jet ski and I’m not rich. Ever been to Kentucky? Everyone I ever met while living there had horses, usually more than one.

And there are 20 horses in the stable below me, all being boarded by people who are far from wealthy.

That being said, get lost you sniveling little toad.

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

To this day, I still cannot understand why whenever given the chance to be in front of camera or microphone…

… The GOP didn’t start the conversation off with this:

“At President Clinton’s direction, no fewer than 10 federal agencies issued a chilling ultimatum to banks and mortgage lenders to ease credit for lower-income minorities or face investigations for lending discrimination and suffer the related adverse publicity.”

The Dems do it, especially when it is a lie…

… but this was a major cause in the collapse of our economy, and the truth.

Find out which political elite ruling class RINO said this would be a bad topic drilled into the subconscious of the American psyche and into pop culture…

… and have him skinned.

Seven Percent Solution on November 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

It’s as simple as it is painful. Fear of being called racists.

I base this on the fact that when the Republican Congress actually considered reforming FNMA/FRMC, the Democrats forestalled the reform by bringing out the (loyally Democrat) Congressional Black Caucus to accuse them of wanting to prevent minorities from having their own homes.

And the GOP caved. And there went the reform that could have prevented the whole economic crisis, and prevented a Barack Obama presidency.

The GOP will do almost anything to avoid being called racists. And it’s not like the Democrats don’t know it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Guess how many died and went to prison for weed? none

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

And how many of those who did die or went to prison started off with just a little harmless weed?

SWalker on November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I am unimpressed by your claim to have been a drug counselor since you seem to have no idea what you are talking about, but as I may have intimated earlier, I’m really not going to waste any more time or energy arguing with someone who is voluntarily destroying his brain.

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Personally, I am against abortion, but I also know that, like the poor, it has always been with us and always will be. As I said, the issue is one for the states unless you amend the COTUS. What many people fail to understand is that, if Roe were overturned tomorrow, it would not make abortion illegal in the United States. It would return the matter to the place where it was prior to 1973, which was one that was decided on a state level. Reagan signed an abortion law in California in 1967 or 8. It was legal there 5/6 years before Roe. The situation was similar in other states. An absolute prohibition would require either an amendment or another SCOTUS decision, which I doubt will ever happen.

Also, I think the matter could be better argued based on science rather than cloaking it in religion. It is undeniable that medical advances have changed what viability means since Roe was handed down and young people are actually more open to the idea that a foetus is an unborn child because they can see it. Change the way you argue and change minds.

Resist We Much on November 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Only one phrase comes to mind: “Fat Jackwagon!!!”

While New Jersey Residents Suffer, Governor Christie Goes on Saturday Night Live

williamg on November 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM

But Resist is a decent people, and she’d take it off the table. I mean, she’s not trying to dissolve families. :) I just can’t seem to get the libertarian point of view on abortion.

(I was thinking of women as such because I know a couple who would do the same who are otherwise pretty conservative, and the numbers show a split. I probably should have gone the “libertarian” path.)

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

you’re addicted after three days

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM

no, you’re not. I don’t care who said so. Even if she’s injecting it, it will be a month, two tops. Now shooting Coke – there’s an instant addiction.

I just don’t like it when people with no experience talk about this stuff.

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Resist We Much on November 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

K. I’ll just . . . mull. :) It works if I’m not in a hurry.

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM

i’m just ticked that the gop picked a guy who could so easily serve as a fall guy for obamas class warfare schtick.

he never was able to relate to the common man. but its in the past now. no use crying over spilled milk.

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I’m on the fence. I know the damage they cause not only to the addict, but to society in general.

But. There’s also free will and if someone will be a “responsible” user and not let it control them, then isn’t that their choice? It’s like eating too much transfat, salt and 125 oz pop.

People should be able to choose the method of their destruction. Unfortunately, they aren’t the only ones being destroyed in most cases.

It’s a real tough one. Good discussion, tho.

kim roy on November 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM

JPeterman on November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

another butt sniffer. do i detect an accent?

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Any advertisements or catalogs from a blue state….I trash it.
I’ve got to get a grip here.

Belle on November 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

me! It’s pretty obvious who doesn’t know what they’re talking about! Unless maybe it’s cooking, and I doubt you can best me there either. I’m a culinary school grad.

Don’t you think the best person in a position to grade the 12 Steps is a former counselor and member? (cause you don’t become a counselor without experience or 12 Step Study) There are far more effective programs out there that don’t brainwash you with cliche slogans and cookies and coffee (gateway drug by your def)

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM

cynccook on November 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM

But Resist’ is a decent people, and she’d take it off the table. I mean, she’s not trying to dissolve families. :) I just can’t seem to get the libertarian point of view on abortion.

Axe on November 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Being “pro-choice” is easy, when you’re an atheist.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Being “pro-choice” is easy, when you’re an atheist.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Not all atheists believe in abortion.

Resist We Much on November 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Slade73 on November 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM

What do you know about God, Slade’?

listens2glenn on November 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM