Noted Grinch ruining Christmas yet again

posted at 5:01 pm on November 18, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

If you were reading Hot Air over the holidays last year, you may recall seeing this story from Santa Monica, California.

This year, however, atheists have taken over most of the two-block stretch, nearly shutting out and angering a group of churches who contend the atheists have organized against the Christians and gamed a city lottery process allocating the holiday exhibit space…

The atheists are declaring the politically left-leaning seaside town of Santa Monica as their latest battleground in a national movement to assert their rights.

“I’m part of a growing movement in America of atheists standing up for their rights. It’s a very exciting time for us that we’re having more of an impact in our society,” said Damon Vix, the organizer of the atheist group.

Apparently, everything old is new again, because Mr. Vix is back and more unpleasant than ever. Unfortunately, his unrelenting, personal war on Christmas seems to have taken a toll on the city, which has now thrown up their arms in exasperation and cancelled their entire display.

Damon Vix didn’t have to go to court to push Christmas out of the city of Santa Monica. He just joined the festivities.

The atheist’s anti-God message alongside a life-sized nativity display in a park overlooking the beach ignited a debate that burned brighter than any Christmas candle.

Santa Monica officials snuffed the city’s holiday tradition this year rather than referee the religious rumble, prompting churches that have set up a 14-scene Christian diorama for decades to sue over freedom of speech violations. Their attorney will ask a federal judge Monday to resurrect the depiction of Jesus’ birth, while the city aims to eject the case.

This guy and his friends aren’t trying to impart any sort of competing message. They’re just trying to ruin the spirit of the holiday for everyone else. It’s just a shame that someone has to go to these lengths to satisfy their craving for attention and desire to belittle the beliefs of others. This is the fourth straight year that Vix has been up to these shenanigans and, apparently, no amount of public scorn, shame or ire will dissuade him from his little hobby.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Westboro “Baptist Church” is rightfully deamed a hate group because of the signs that they hold up at protests. So why is it that the atheist group here in centra PA that sets up tables at every fair in this area with nothing but bumper stickers that call peopel who believe in a creator a moron/idiot/dumb/etc. and references to Jesus being gay has never been deemed a hate group. I never see that group do anything else beside have the tabel I just described at fairs and march in parades in mocking costumes of religious figures.

DethMetalCookieMonst on November 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Let’s just lay it on the line so there are no misunderstandings.

Atheists are the ULTIMATE HATE GROUP!

They hate God with such an unbridled passion, they will tie up the court systems just so as to try and eradicate Him from society!

So at what point in time is the media going to finally recognize them as a hate group? And when are idiotic things like what they did in California going to finally be deemed hate crimes?

pilamaye on November 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Vix is a small-minded, angry little man. He won’t change my belief system, nor weaken my faith in Christ. I feel sorry for him–he has nothing worthwhile at all to look forward to, in this life or the next one.

zoyclem on November 19, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Hey, let’s not forget the so-called tolerant God-haters in Loudon County (VA) where they thought it perfectly fine to celebrate the holidays with a cruicified Santa Claus.

It’s fine if they do not believe that doesn’t give them the right to offend.

Happy Nomad on November 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I would suspect that in Santa Monica he has lots and lots of fellow God-haters.

Happy Nomad on November 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I’m shocked they have kept the name Santa Monica.

Fuquay Steve on November 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM

It’s fine if they do not believe that doesn’t give them the right to offend.

Happy Nomad on November 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Actually (and I say this as a christian) I support that display in that it is a commentary on how Christmas has been completely commercialized. Don’t get me started on what’s happened to Easter. My wife is pregnant and I don’t know how I”m going to let her know that I don’t want the “Easter Bunny” mentioned to our child. If anything, I’ll refer to it as the Spring Equinox Bunny.

DethMetalCookieMonst on November 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on November 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I’d be right there with you if that were the intent of crucified Santa. It was not. It was a deliberate attempt by the Loudoun County Atheists to insult and mock Chrisitians. Let’s see it for what it was and not some sort of a protest statement against the commericalization of Christmas.

Happy Nomad on November 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

And it would still be in bad taste as a protest against commercialization.

Zomcon JEM on November 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM

There was a time that taste and manners meant something. I have no desire to join them going down the to the cesspool they are heading.

Zomcon JEM on November 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I’m shocked they have kept the name Santa Monica.

Fuquay Steve on November 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM

They have shown themselves to be amateurs, LOL.

Fallon on November 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Vix hates Christmas because he didn’t get the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle he wanted as a kid.

J.H. on November 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I’m waiting for Chris christie to get behind this idea and embrace Vix. That will make the circle complete.

Fuquay Steve on November 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM

My take.

kingsjester on November 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM

J.H. on November 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

“It has a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.”

Akzed on November 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Let’s have a yearly celebration of all the wonderful things that atheism has brought us.

Akzed on November 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

How pathetic this guy is. He challenges the ignorance is bliss theory…he is ignorant but certainly not blissful.

TturnP on November 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Where’s a good jihadi, or that Pakistani cabinet minister, when you need him?

/BUCK FARACK/

Nutstuyu on November 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on November 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM

You do realize that “Easter” is a spring deity celebrated around the time of the vernal equinox? Christianity only borrowed the name to attach its resurrection festival to.

Nutstuyu on November 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Strange that such people are so thin-skinned about their lack of belief that they cannot tolerate the belief of others.

I mean, really, if you are an atheist, then what difference TO YOU does it make if others celebrate Christmas or not?

I mean, beyond the federal holiday bit. Speaking of which, why do atheists take off on holy days that have been turned into holidays? Doesn’t that offend them even more than private speech in the public square?

For all the ‘reason’ put forward by atheists, the lack of logic is astounding.

ajacksonian on November 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

This!! I believe that he and others like him have doubts and are so afraid of being wrong they do this kind of thing to eliminate the threat that might reveal those doubts..or possibly prove them wrong. It’s all about insecurity.

Deanna on November 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Deanna on November 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We eagerly await your empirical evidence.

Dan_Yul on November 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Do you remember Mrs. Clinton as Santa Claus?

In it she is giving Middle class tax cuts as a christmas present and Universal Pre-K. OOH wee.

She also looks about a hundred years younger. I can say that, because i just came from the salon.

Fleuries on November 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

We have nobody to thank for this mess except the SCOTUS liberals, and progressive liberalism itself. Progressive liberalism is a cancer that is eating our country alive. It needs to be stamped out. One way or another.

ultracon on November 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

We eagerly await your empirical evidence.

Dan_Yul on November 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Fractal Geometry

There is an underlying beauty and order to the universe that is not random.
Evidence of a devine creator.

Didn’t see that one coming, did you?

MichaelGabriel on November 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Dan_Yul on November 19, 2012 at 2:45 AM

OK. I stand corrected. So long as this guy stands on public property (say at city hall); he can protest Muslims celebrating Ramadan all he wants with no negative press or repercussions. Riiighttt. My bad.

Who said I was angry? For the record my philosophy is not as you suggest. Further, I do not put fish stickers on cars (mine or otherwise) nor do I have a ‘church’. You can complain about my ‘silliness’ all you want. Really. I am relieved to find out that we can complain about the Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Satanists and “all the others” – as long as they “do their thing” on public property. Whew! For minute there, I thought ‘public property’ was just that.

Thanks.

ghostwalker1 on November 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Ugh. Let’s debate religion on the comment section of a conservative blog! No thanks.

I will say that Jazz is a bit out of line here in saying this is something Vix is doing to try and get attention or purely self serving. Atheists are fighting to have their voice heard, if the tables were turned and the religious had the minority then they’d absolutely be trying to pull the same stunts.

Hopefully in one generation or so we’ll finally have enough people coming to their senses and politely declining to waste their time debating whether Christianity or Pastafarianism is something we should devote our lives to (Hint: You shouldn’t).

Sumeet on November 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM

The First Amendment guarantees Christians the “free exercise of religion” as well as our right to free speech. Yes, those same rights extend to all religions and faiths, but they extend to Christians as well. Somehow a wrong-headed interpretation of the Establishment Clause has taken on such weight that it trumps other First Amendment guarantees. This is unsupportable in law and only works because atheists like Vix are so obnoxious that our governmental entities don’t want to take him on. Christmas is one of two major Christian celebrations that our nation has embraced. That our government will not protect it as such and instead chooses to suppress any form of Christian expression tells us how far we are from values that once made us great. I wonder what Vix had to say about the celebrations of the end of Ramadan in the White House?

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on November 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM