NFL Week 11 open thread

posted at 11:01 am on November 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The bad news: Big Ben Roethlisberger will sit out the big game today against arch-rival Baltimore, thanks to shoulder and rib injuries in last week’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs.  The good news: Pittsburgh gets Rashard Mendenhall back after a month off due to an Achilles tendon injury.  With Byron Leftwich starting as QB, the Steelers will need the running threat against the Ravens’ 26th-ranked rushing defense in tonight’s home game.  Pittsburgh hasn’t lost a home game yet, and a win here would even up the division records and give Pittsburgh the tiebreaker.  I’m going to pick the Steelers in an upset (yes, I know you’re shocked), 21-17.

Last week I went 6-0 for the second straight week to move my record to 44-16.  Let’s see if I can get the hat trick:

• Packers at Lions – Even though Detroit has a sub-.500 record, it’s not easy picking against them.  They’re 2-1 at home and the franchise is slowly lifting its game.  Still, the Packers have been on a tear after a bad start, and they need to keep chasing Chicago to remain in the NFC North hunt.  Aaron Rodgers leads Green Bay past the Lions, 27-20.
  • Chargers at Broncos – San Diego just isn’t firing on all cylinders this season, but Peyton Manning certainly is. He already has 21 TDs; only Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers have more.  Manning led a stunning comeback against the Bolts a couple of weeks ago in Chicago; he won’t need one today.  Denver 31-21 over San Diego.
  • Bears at 49ers – Last week the 49ers earned a rare tie against the Rams, and Chicago lost Jay Cutler for at least this week to a concussion in the loss to the Houston Texans.  San Francisco will face Jason Campbell, but they’ll be at home while doing so.  Campbell should play well enough to keep the Bears in the game, but if Alex Smith gets back behind center for the 49ers, they should win in a close match, 28-24.
  • Colts at Patriots – Andrew Luck has had a very good rookie season, and Indianapolis’ 6-3 record is probably better than most expected.  The Patriots are also 6-3, but playing at home, and having less success this season than their fans expected.  I’d expect New England to teach the rookie a lesson today, 35-24.
  • Eagles at Redskins – Philly is 1-3 on the road, and the ‘Skins are 1-3 at home, and both have 3-6 records.  One of these teams has to win in the division to stay in the hunt.  Andy Reid’s job is likely gone if the Eagles can’t get to a winning record this season, and he’s lost his last five games.  However, two of their three wins came against the Giants and the Ravens, so they can play good football … when they hang onto the ball.  Michael Vick won’t be around to turn it over today, as his concussion a week ago turns out to be serious enough that Vick couldn’t even practice this week.  Nick Foles will start in his place after having taken all the reps this week in practice.  Maybe that will be enough to spark the Eagles; I’ll pick them to win in a lower-scoring game, 20-14.

Comments

All right, who called the 49ers-Rams tie?

Nobody? Ha! That’s what I thought!

aunursa on November 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Tomorrow night is the 49ers-Bears showdown. Please pray for my family that my wife and I will still be on speaking terms after the game.

aunursa on November 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

and the cry of the people grows louder TEBOW!!!! TEBOW!!!!!!

renalin on November 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

No Vikings today – everybody enjoy your games!

gophergirl on November 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Go Steelers!!!

CW on November 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

and Indianapolis’ 6-3 record is probably better than most expected.

Ya think? I’m ecstatic at the Colts success thus far. I doubt they can triumph today, but I’m still pinching myself to see if I’ll wake up from this “Colts actually have a chance to make the playoffs” dream I’m having.

predator on November 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM

aunursa on November 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

…OK I’ll participate in your request…as long as there is no rug involved!

KOOLAID2 on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

All right, who called the 49ers-Rams tie?
Nobody? Ha! That’s what I thought!
aunursa on November 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Before last weeks game I would have said this Bears/Niners game might be a prelude to the NFC Championship. After what the Niners looked like, (pathetic on all facets of the game), against a young 3-5 Rams team, I’m not so certain. The Bears have a proven defense, period. On offense, other than Frank Gore, (sore ribs), the Niners can’t find open receivers or sustain drives, and on defense, Carlos Rogers was eaten alive last week. You could flip a coin to decide which 49er team shows up on Monday night.

(Congrats to Stanford and Baylor in upsetting #’s 1 and 2 in the BCS…….this puts ND in the driver’s seat, against ???? Bama? Georgia? Florida? Who else?)

Rovin on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Vick couldn’t even practice this week.

I’m not wearing a tin foil hat but are the opposition deliberately out to mess Vick up? I know its the National Felons League and all but he’s a dog torturer and mass dog murderer. Maybe in the NFL they are viewed the way pedos are in prison?

CorporatePiggy on November 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Rovin on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The BCS is going to be a disaster.

gophergirl on November 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

well after a couple good weeks 11-3, 10-3-1, at 61% for the year no where near Eds 73% but enough not to be losing money yet ;))

have Bills, GB, Atl, Bucs, Clev, Skins!!(eternal optomist), Rams, Cinn, TX’s, NO, Broncs, Pats, Ravens and 49ers this week.

good luck all

smitty41 on November 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Steelers 17, Ravens 14. Go Steelers!

22044 on November 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Rovin on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I think ND runs the table and beats USC. Before this weekend I thought USC would put the kibosh on that.

22044 on November 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Nick Foles is going to be one of the big stars in the near future. If the Eagles wise up and hire a new coach, he’ll go far. As it is, they leave the QB in danger on almost every play.

Scotty J on November 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

The BCS is going to be a disaster.

gophergirl on November 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Don’t worry gg, ESPN/SEC/NCAA will sort everything out since they all share the same bed.

Rovin on November 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Last week I went 6-0 for the second straight week…

Second look at Ed’s prognosticating?

Rovin on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

All ND has to do is beat USC next weekend.

JetBoy on November 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Steelers finally have their black quarterback dream come true.

Mormontheman on November 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I have no faith in Byron Leftwich and I am angry with the NFL for scheduling the most difficult conference match up practically back to back. Even if Ben hadn’t gotten hurt, the Steelers/Ravens games are so physical that they would be better games if scheduled farther apart.

myrenovations on November 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Steelers finally have their black quarterback dream come true.

Mormontheman on November 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yes because Leftwich, Batch, and Dennis Dixon never started before.

idiot.

CW on November 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

…match up practically back to back. ….
myrenovations on November 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Just the Steelers luck but I don’t hear them bitchin.

CW on November 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

myrenovations on November 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Just the Steelers luck but I don’t hear them b*tchin. This could have easily worked to the Steelers advantage.

CW on November 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Um, Ed, When did Denver and San Diego play a game in Chicago? I must have missed that one….

Ace ODale on November 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Go Ed.
I wish I had your predictive skill and I was a betting man, alas I/am have neither.

D-fusit on November 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Complaining about the schedule?!?

There’s no complaining about the schedule in football!

Jimminy Christmas – the steelers get to play the browns and bengals two times a year! You get 5 bye weeks!

Green_Bay_Packers on November 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My Sam Houston State Bearkats got clobbered yesterday by the #9 Texas A&M Aggies. But my Houston Texans will go to 9-1 after they obliterate Jacksonville today!

cartooner on November 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The Saints are currently the most dangerous team in the NFL, and today’s opponent, Oakland, is reeling. So why do I have a hunch this game could be a trap?

Well, it’s being played in Oakland for starters, and New Orleans has already lost a (home) game this season to another shoddy team from the AFC West, KC.

The Saints are also likely still on a high after their great game against previously unbeaten Atlanta. A dropoff is certainly possible.

As for the Patriots, that should be a great matchup later this afternoon. But it’ll be a short week for us Pats fans as they have to play again Thanksgiving night.

Del Dolemonte on November 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Another must-win for the Who Dats against Oakland.
Win today and it’s 5-5 and a new season.

To have a decent chance, Saints have to win every “should-win” game the rest of the season.

Here’s hoping that Drew Brees’ leadership can pull off a miracle season :-)

cane_loader on November 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Ok – so the steelers have only played 2 teams with a winning record?!? Your complaining about the schedule?

The packers have played the 49ers, bears, texans, colts, and Seattle*

They still have the bears and the Vikings twice along with NYG away.

Three of the teams in our division could make the playoffs this year?

Baltimore has some significant injuries too.. If I remember correctly

(*the Seattle game was a win)

Green_Bay_Packers on November 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

My gut tells me that the Atlanta win further increased N.O.’s confidence, and that Raiders will pay the price and lose by at least 30 points.

Of course, I predicted a Romney blowout, too.

JMO MOO YMMV

cane_loader on November 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

What is wrong with the ticker up top?

The 49ers’ tie is not shown!

cane_loader on November 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Um, you do understand what obliterate means right?

Green_Bay_Packers on November 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Friggin’ Lions better not blow this…

Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

son of a b!tch.

Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM

This Green Bay/Detroit game is highly entertaining.

gophergirl on November 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM

looks like lots of upsets today. thats why they play the games.

LOL

gerrym51 on November 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM

What a pathetic final drive by the Lions.

Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Spot on Packers/Lions prediction, Ed–except for the FG miss by Crosby–and nothing like an interception at 00:00.

stukinIL4now on November 18, 2012 at 4:17 PM

looks like lots of upsets today. thats why they play the games.

LOL

gerrym51 on November 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I’d rather have the upsets than my usual getting upset about Gang Green losing.

My Jetties even won…even with a crappy offense.

JetBoy on November 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Green Bay – Wins 24-20 ….. yay

conservative tarheel on November 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Friggin’ Lions better not blow this…
Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

You do understand how the loins franchise operates don’t you?

They are cannon fodder for the other NFC north teams.

Green_Bay_Packers on November 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

How did the cowboys game end?

CBS switched to Broncos/chargers w/ 10 sec on the clock….?

Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Green_Bay_Packers on November 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

lol…..they’re friggin’ killing me.

Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM

How did the cowboys game end?

CBS switched to Broncos/chargers w/ 10 sec on the clock….?

Tim_CA on November 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Overtime

gophergirl on November 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Of course, I predicted a Romney blowout, too.

JMO MOO YMMV

cane_loader on November 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Well, they’re picking off some passes!

Del Dolemonte on November 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My Cowboys suck, but they won. The Iggles suck and they lost. Life is good for at least four more days.

Garym on November 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Ravens take it tonight! 24/14

Ugly on November 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM

LOL that was an amazing TD by the Steelers.

Ugly on November 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM

The Kansas City Chefs: We’re number 5! We’re number 5!

locomotivebreath1901 on November 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Ravens TD… 10-7

Ugly on November 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Halftime: LOL I may be right; I may be crazy… Ravens FTW

Ugly on November 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Ravens up by 6

Ugly on November 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM

w00t

Ugly on November 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

All I gotta say is as a packer fan, never in my life have I even been this worried when our kicker even kicks the EPA after a touchdown. Wow. Game should not have been this close and being indoors you should have been able to nail a 50 yarder.

watertown on November 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM

My Ravens won a tough game against a good Steelers team. The day the Ravens finally jettison Cam Cameron is the day the Ravens make the next step!

ManWithNoName on November 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Raven fans: Rejoice!

Sherman1864 on November 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM

32-7? I’d call that a statement from the 9ers to the rest of the league. Chicago’s welcome at Candlestick any time.

Rovin on November 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM