FLA-18. The count continues

posted at 10:01 am on November 17, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

I’m sure glad that election is finally over, aren’t you? Now we can move on to the pressing issues facing the country. Or… maybe not. In Florida, (yes, the same Florida) the 18th congressional district is still slugging it out as Representative Allen West struggles to hang on to his seat. The initial count had him down by nearly 2,000 votes (more than the .5% which would trigger an automatic recount) but questions remain regarding an accurate count of the early voting ballots in St. Lucie County. An initial request to the courts didn’t end well.

A Florida judge on Friday denied Rep. Allen West’s (R-Fla.) request to recount early votes in St. Lucie County, dealing another setback to the congressman’s effort to overcome an apparent defeat in last Tuesday’s election.

West had requested the recounting of 37,000 ballots from early voting, suggesting that they may have been miscounted.

The judge in the case wasn’t saying there was no reason for a recount, but that the court lacked the authority to give the order. However, they also didn’t say that there couldn’t be a recount either, and late in the day the county board decided to go ahead with a full recount anyway.

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — A county canvassing board on Friday ordered a recount of early-voting ballots in the race between U.S. Rep. Allen West and Democrat Patrick Murphy, hours after a judge declined to do the same.

The St. Lucie County Canvassing Board voted 2-to-1 late Friday in favor of the move in the 18th Congressional District contest, in which Murphy is the unofficial victor. A series of tabulation errors by the county has raised suspicion among West’s campaign and its supporters and appeared to motivate the board’s favorable vote.

The numbers make it clear that this is still a steep hill for West to climb in his recently re-cut district. But given the close margin and the fact that this particular race was under such intense national scrutiny, I see no reason for not letting them take their time and make sure the final totals are correct. There’s still plenty of time for each candidate to be ready for the new Congress in January. I’m also sure that neither man would want to sweep into the next term with a cloud of suspicion over their heads about voting irregularities.

In the meantime, assuming the current results stand, Congressman West doesn’t appear to be interested in an offer from Georgia to relocate his offices to the North.

U.S. Rep. Allen West continues to hold out hope that he can prevail with a recount in his coastal Florida race. But the Republican firebrand has ruled out a return to Georgia should he need to restart his political career…

West wasn’t interested. “No,” the former lieutenant colonel replied. “Look, let me tell you something. I have moved my wife around for 20-some-odd years, being in the military, and she was also the daughter of a career military guy. When I retired, she chose Florida. That’s where my daughter’s in school, in college, my youngest daughter’s in high school. That’s our home. It’s a very nice thing, but I’m not an NFL free agent.”

I’ve interviewed West a couple of times, including during the RNC in Tampa this year. I’m not terribly shocked by that response. Family first for Allen West. Kind of tough to argue with that, no matter how much some of his supporters would like to see him back in the mix.

Comments

BISHOP, official vote counter!

Glenn Jericho on November 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I thought Dems weren’t good at math?

faraway on November 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

West might even be more effective OUTSIDE of Washington…..
He just needs to stay away from the RINO’s.

So if West gets booted out and Greyson gets back in???
What is America becoming?

redguy on November 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Wait… Alan Grayson was re-elected? I thought parties couldn’t win if they had crazies.

You mean the RINOs have been wrong all along? You mean they just aren’t very good at politics?

faraway on November 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I’d like to see West’s team take a couple of the voting machines, and run 500 votes for little Bammie and 500 votes for Governor Romney through it, and then look at what the recorded vote totals are.

slickwillie2001 on November 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Alan West can guest host for Rush on Fridays, Michelle Malkin can guest host for Hannity, Susan Martinez for Levin. Watch and learn, America.

nebraski on November 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The Dems better pray that Col. West doesn’t get this thing overturned in a recount. Otherwise the conspiracy theories regarding the Presidential election being stolen will rival the birther talk for the next 4 years.

Doughboy on November 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

faraway on November 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Yeah, the GOP will destroy a conservative who misspeaks, uses the words “legitimate rape” and apologizes for it but will say nothing to Democrats who call conservatives (that includes our wives and daughters) all Nazis and racists. The GOP establishment is very selective in what they get offended about.

If they at least would lash out with the same emotion at Democrat radicals they way they do some at some Republicans, I would have more respect for them.

JellyToast on November 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

“I’ve learned you can’t change Washington from inside.”–President Barack Obama

West isn’t done……one way or another.

PappyD61 on November 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Alan Grayson, Jerry Brown, Elizabeth Warren, Claire McCaskill, Tammy Baldwin, Dianne Feinstein, Sherrod Brown……

“The time is coming (it’s here Teatermerica)when people won’t listen to wisdom and common sense. Instead, they will look for leaders who will please them by telling them only what they are itching to hear. They will turn from the truth and eagerly listen to senseless talk.”

Right before our very eyes it unfolds.

PappyD61 on November 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

As the saying goes…….”it’s not who votes, it’s who counts the vote”.
*sigh*

tencole on November 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I am starting to dislike the republican party as much as I dislike
the democrats.

Its time to change my “R” to an “I”….but, then I don’t like
them either, too wishy washy for my taste. And I will never vote for a democrap, so that leads me back to “R”.

Round and round I go….

Amjean on November 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

We have now some 14 straight years of razor thin votes, coast to coast. Not even the universe has that much sense of humor. No way in hell this is legit. It’s like flipping 14 quarters and having them all come up heads.

Limerick on November 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Round and round I go….

Amjean on November 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Do what I did, register as a skeptic.

Limerick on November 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

This moving around just to run for political office is ridiculous anyway. Good on West for deciding not to do it.

Dack Thrombosis on November 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Amjean,
We are registering for the Constitution Party.
We will become D’s for the primary so we can pick the scummiest D candidate and then vote for the C candidate in the general.
You have to play to win….the chicago Marxist way.
The Founders were Libertarians….fiscal conservative and social “leave me alone”.

dirtengineer on November 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Doughboy on November 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Now why would I pray a stupid thing like that?

Serious Question here… What if….

SWalker on November 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM

And that idiot Greyson won?

Goes to show how ignorantly stupid the left is, he’ll be MSNBC’s favorite spokesjerk.. and he’ll be talking trash about us, while Obama demands we be civil..

Dems NEVER go after their nutjobs, they embrace them and shield them, and condemn any rational criticism as crazy talk.

Never hoped something bad would happen to somebody as much as I do that scumbag Greyson. It’s not Christian to hope karma visits an evil man, but I’ll take the lumps for it.

Greyson is pure unbridled evil.

mark81150 on November 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM

This is exactly how I think. I am sick of hearing about abortion,
rape, contraception freebies, etc. in a presidential election
which should be about the economy and security of this country.

Amjean on November 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Everyone better learn to play like a Dem, if you want to win again
Also, better learn to fight this culture war, from the inside, not outside, or they’ll never be another Repub win.

di butler on November 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If I see the word “chad” anywhere on this site, I’m deleting all of my Hot Air bookmarks – and possible cutting my Internet cable.

RoadRunner on November 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Alan West can guest host for Rush on Fridays, Michelle Malkin can guest host for replace Hannity, Susan Martinez for Levin. Watch and learn, America.

nebraski on November 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

FTFY

Joe Mama on November 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I wonder if any overseas military votes are in that mess of ballots? Or if any ballots were received for FL?

Good luck West, I hope you come out on top.
L

letget on November 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

RoadRunner on November 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Self fulfilling prophecy?

Enjoy the self-deletion.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM

RoadRunner on November 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Chad Vader.

CorporatePiggy on November 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Now, Ed, that right there is funny. The dems, lacking a functioning conscience, would never let anything like that bother them.

AZfederalist on November 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

slickwillie2001 on November 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

This.

AZfederalist on November 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

faraway on November 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

SparkPlug on November 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I have a simple solution to voter fraud by the left and have been doing it for the last 10-15 years, I live on the Left coast in the Socialist Republic of California.

Just register as a Democrap, it gives them a false sense of security and they will fight to the death to let you vote, plus not look at how you voted. If most Republicans registered as democrats we could really make an impact.

Also if/when polled answer as an entitled (47%) democrat. After one or two cycles polling would be so unreliable no one would bother with it. Thus having a positive effect on voter turn out.

Just a thought.

1791 on November 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

As I see it, with all the suspected voter fraud,it needs to be investig. IF it comes out that it is true then we are at the same point in time that we were when we broke away from England. We broke away because of taxation without representation. We currently have taxation with false representation and that equals no representation. Those people that have been falsely elected then raise vote to raise taxes and the voice of WE THE PEOPLE is not being heard. The system is broken. If the powers that be refuse to fix the system then we will ask to leave peacefully. There is a tyrannical minority in this country that has usurped power via the ballot box by cheating.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”
Abraham Lincoln quotes

ColdWarrior57 on November 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Sore loser!

Salahuddin on November 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Salahuddin on November 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

troll alert. bug out

gracie on November 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

There’s a lot of vote irregularities nationwide, Obama was going to win no matter how much he deserved to lose, but of course any investigation would be handled by Eric Holder, we know where that would lead, right into the 13 file.

Speakup on November 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Sore loser!

Salahuddin on November 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Sore winner.

Speakup on November 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

If West ultimately loses, the GOP needs to immediately get him involved in black outreach.

Why don’t Republicans have an identifiable team for each group that they lost in recent elections?

BuckeyeSam on November 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

If the Right’s PAC’s would put their money into getting “voting rights” and “right to work’ laws where they don’t exist.

Like, Ballot Measures or State Constitution Amendments, requiring photo ID and a fingerprint in addition to the signature currently required when signing in to vote it would go a long way to cleaning up voting,

One more thing. When you vote you get a certified copy of your ballot, with S/N, that at a later time you could demand to see the original and compare with the copy you have and if the state/county/whatever could not produce, .1% of, those demanded for comparing the election would have to be recast.

1791 on November 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

…we need West…only the women seem to have ba11s on our side!

KOOLAID2 on November 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

dirtengineer on November 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

This is exactly how I think. I am sick of hearing about abortion,
rape, contraception freebies, etc. in a presidential election
which should be about the economy and security of this country.

Amjean on November 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

That is not true.

M.E. Bradford in his book Original Intentions: On the Making and Ratification of the United States Constitution has an excellent chapter titled, “Religion and the Framers: The Biographical Evidence”.

To describe the Framers out a larger body of evidence taken from the entire generation to which they belong—of the 150 to 200 principal Founders of the Republic—is to acquire another view of their composite character, especially with reference to the original American tradition concerning liberty, the state, and religion.

As I have come to know through my own work, the concept of the Framers as ordinary Christians, as members in good standing of the various Christian communions found in early America, is supported by the recorded patterns of their lives.

INC on November 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Bradford quotes from various primary source documents to make his case, citing writings and activities of—and this is not an exhaustive list—Patrick Henry, John Jay, George Mason, General William Livingston, Edmund Pendleton, Elias Boudinot, Roger Sherman, Richard Bassett, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Abraham Baldwin, Luther Martin, John Dickinson, Alexander Hamilton, David Brearly, William Samuel Johnson, John Witherspoon and William Few.

Of course, the most unmistakable Christian evidence of orthodoxy comes in references made by the Framers to Jesus Christ as Redeemer and Son of God. These are commonplace in their private papers, correspondence, and public remarks—and in the early records of their lives. As a sample of such piety we should include the ars moriendi as practiced by Patrick Henry and the parting admonitions preserved in the wills of John Jay and George Mason….

Such declarations are so frequent in the papers of the Framers as to belie the now familiar theory that our Republic came into being in a moment of absolute tolerance, or religious neutrality qua indifference or deistic rationalism embraced by most of the leaders of England’s erstwhile colonies in North America. And not all of this evidence is relegated to wills or very private documents…

Other varieties of unmistakable proof of Christian commitment appear in the acts and languages of Framers who do not always speak directly of their Redeemer but who nonetheless behave as no deist would: who in some fashion to the vigor of their orthodoxy, most impressively in decisions that they make without undue calculation. Expressions of Christian hope are commonplace in the papers of the Framers…

The variety of surviving Christian witness in the papers and sayings of the Framers is indeed astonishing

INC on November 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM

On Bradford’s credentials, Russell Kirk (that’s the Russell Kirk) said this in his foreword to another book of Bradford’s Founding Fathers: Brief Lives of the Framers of the United States Constitution:

Bradford’s national reputation is founded upon his painstaking and accurate scholarship—and upon his rhetorical skill as well…In general, American historians have been daunted by the tremendous task of fighting their way through antique printed collections of politicians’ letters and through thousands of holograph letters, uncollected, in dusty archives and private hands, but Mel Bradford was possessed of fortitude and a desire to write real history. He knew that there is no better way to ascertain the much-debated “original intent” of the Framers than to pass beyond the somewhat meager journals of the Convention, and beyond The Federalist Papers, to the labyrinthine treasury of letters the Framers wrote home or to one another.

…More fully than most commentators upon those Framers, Bradford has carefully examined their several religious persuasions or affiliations, discovering few Deists or unchurched.

INC on November 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM

“I’m also sure that neither man would want to sweep into the next term with a cloud of suspicion over their heads about voting irregularities.”

I’m quite sure that Murphy has been, in fact, fighting the recount. He won and he wants to keep it that way. If he were confident in the results and concerned a valid vote you’d think he wouldn’t object but that is not the case.

bertielou on November 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM

From the Dept. of State, believe it or not.

The Continental-Confederation Congress, a legislative body that governed the United States from 1774 to 1789, contained an extraordinary number of deeply religious men. The amount of energy that Congress invested in encouraging the practice of religion in the new nation exceeded that expended by any subsequent American national government. Although the Articles of Confederation did not officially authorize Congress to concern itself with religion, the citizenry did not object to such activities. This lack of objection suggests that both the legislators and the public considered it appropriate for the national government to promote a nondenominational, nonpolemical Christianity.

Congress appointed chaplains for itself and the armed forces, sponsored the publication of a Bible, imposed Christian morality on the armed forces, and granted public lands to promote Christianity among the Indians. National days of thanksgiving and of “humiliation, fasting, and prayer” were proclaimed by Congress at least twice a year throughout the war. Congress was guided by “covenant theology,” a Reformation doctrine especially dear to New England Puritans, which held that God bound himself in an agreement with a nation and its people. This agreement stipulated that they “should be prosperous or afflicted, according as their general Obedience or Disobedience thereto appears.” Wars and revolutions were, accordingly, considered afflictions, as divine punishments for sin, from which a nation could rescue itself by repentance and reformation.

The first national government of the United States, was convinced that the “public prosperity” of a society depended on the vitality of its religion. Nothing less than a “spirit of universal reformation among all ranks and degrees of our citizens,” Congress declared to the American people, would “make us a holy, that so we may be a happy people.”

INC on November 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I wouldn’t be so sure. There are plenty of people out there who would take any kind of win they can get.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The more I know of Allen West, the more I like him. It’s a shame his political career isn’t yet far enough along to run for president.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Good points INC.
I try & read primary sources whenever I can.
Just aobut anything published after 199 regarding the founders & American history I have found to be a lot of garbage.

Badger40 on November 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

RoadRunner on November 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I made myself the exact same promise.

Yikes! Now I need to finish this post before I cut off my inte

Pythagoras on November 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

thanks for all that info, INC!

Sachiko on November 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Chad Vader.

CorporatePiggy on November 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

WAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Are the recounting ONLY votes for West on these ballots or are the entire ballots being recounted for all races on them? Reason I ask is that if the count goes to a recount, they will need to recount all the ballots in all three counties. I am suspecting this will impact votes for Romney/Obama as well.

crosspatch on November 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I meant after the year 1900.
:P

Badger40 on November 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Our local state senator race is a cluster too. Not only are there just a couple of hundred votes between the Repub and the Dem, the Libertarian candidate, with something like 4,800 votes, turned out to be an illegal candidate – never filled out the paperwork, never filed the financial reports, etc. So there’s also in investigation to see how the heck he got on the ballot. There are still thousands of provisional and overseas ballots to count too.

Common Sense on November 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM

nebraski on November 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I’d love to see Michelle Malkin be the permanent replacement for Hannity. How anyone can listen to more than five minutes of that gasbag is beyond me.

bw222 on November 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

If you’ve followed this from pre to post election, there are alot of questionable actions/results. I think that is the only of 3 counties he lost, it has a career county elections supervisor whom is an activist, there were non-counts/mis-counts/re-counts all throughout. Some proportions of the voting is extremely questionable, bordering on improbable.

BTW, the supervisor was up for election….let’s just say it’s good to be king (or queen). Check out hers compared to West.

John Kettlewell on November 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Are the recounting ONLY votes for West on these ballots or are the entire ballots being recounted for all races on them? …I am suspecting this will impact votes for Romney/Obama as well.

crosspatch on November 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The partial recount of early votes didn’t change the outcome, although West had his vote reduced by 20% and Murphy had his vote reduced by 80%. But it did flip the results of a local mayoralty race (i.e. the “winner” was found to have lost and the “loser” was found to have won). So they must be counting other races on the ballot. Presumably this would include the Presidential vote as well.

cornwall on November 18, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Getting support from the likes of Reince Priebus (in a rare show of support for West from the GOPe) and Kurt Browning (former Secretary of State for Florida) probably helped West with the Canvassing Board. Priebus is up for re-election.

cornwall on November 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Florida Division of Elections to investigate St. Lucie’s election practices (separate from the recount); St. Lucie Elections Supervisor in hospital. Not that the two are necessarily related.

cornwall on November 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I like Allen West but isn’t his presence in today’s American government sort of irrelevant?

CrustyB on November 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Recount ended early on Saturday evening; but they promised to finish on Sunday. Sunday they ran out of time to finish counting because of “technical difficulties” (blasted machines again), so some votes are still uncounted. Legally, they claim, they can’t finish counting because the time for counting votes has expired!

When they finished counting Murphy had pulled over 200 votes ahead of his previous margin.

BUT…one of the precincts which has only 7 registered voters and on election night had 6 votes, now has 900 votes attached to it. This is the first solid example (as opposed to speculation) of fraud in this election—or the national one—rather than just incompetence and inability to count. And of course they found a box of “missing” ballots a couple of days ago, which seems to be a feature of U.S. elections.

Unsurprisingly given these developments, West is refusing to concede.

cornwall on November 19, 2012 at 7:10 AM