Video: “Warm Bodies” trailer

posted at 10:02 pm on November 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate after a long, slow, post-election news week. I’ve seen featurettes that tackled the zombie genre from the zombie’s point of view — this was excellent — but this is the first full-length feature I’m aware of. Which makes sense: There’s loads of pathos and sympathy to be mined from the zombie predicament, but how do you do it over 90 minutes when your main character can only shuffle and grunt? Here’s one way. Feels like a cross between “Twilight” (this was produced by the same studio) and “Shaun of the Dead.” They copped out by not making the zombies more gruesome, but they’re goofing on the genre. It’s a meet-cute romantic comedy; it’s just that one of the leads is undead.

I’d honestly like to see a drama in this mold. It’d be difficult, but Romero did a decent enough job with the scenes between the scientist and “Bub” in “Day of the Dead.” “The Walking Dead” has had a few nice moments too playing with the lingering bond between survivors and their zombified loved ones. The scene of the Governor brushing his dead little girl’s hair in the last episode was affecting. Although I still can’t figure out why she didn’t bite him.

Comments

Boycott Hollywood.

hawkdriver on November 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Yep. Enjoyed this on Devour yesterday, I think. Looks fun.

TexasDan on November 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Boycott Hollywood.

hawkdriver on November 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Or be discerning on who you give your cash to. Also, there are ways to see things without spending money.

kim roy on November 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

HAHAHA!! Whatever this is–I LOVE IT!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Eh, “Exit Humanity” looks better but I suppose the ladies might like this one.

Bishop on November 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Wow. A movie showcasing the stupid 30-and-under college student Democrat electorate in day-to-day life.

I’ll pass.

Myron Falwell on November 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I take you never saw Aaah! Zombies!!

Very entertaining indy film.

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I’ll pass.

Myron Falwell on November 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

…Oh wait. It’s a ZOMBIE FILM?

Little difference between the two.

Myron Falwell on November 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

As Zombie Films go, Shawn of the Dead is still the laugh riot of all times!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

As Zombie Films go, Shawn of the Dead is still the laugh riot of all times!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It’s my fave for sure. British Indy film + Simon Pegg + comedy + zombies = perfection. (Not to mention the supporting cast – I did British TV, so lots of recognizable folks.)

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

As Zombie Films go, Shawn of the Dead is still the laugh riot of all times!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I agree. That and Galaxy Quest are the only spoofs I have ever really liked much.

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Oh, and speaking of British TV: Nicholas Hoult (the lead in this film) does a really good American accent for a Brit, doesn’t he?

From ABOUT A BOY, to SKINS, to WARM BODIES. Way to trek there, Nick.

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Thanks for the reminder… haven’t seen Galaxy Quest in ages…

*Oh, Netflix??!*

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM

To cleanse the palate after a long, slow, post-election news week.

O_o

Seven Percent Solution on November 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

You have to give the Zombie back some portion of its mind. It stops being a Zombie at that point.

Maybe “democrat” or something.

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Sigh. :-(

Punchenko on November 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I’ll pass.

Myron Falwell on November 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

damn. :) I was too slow.

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Thanks for the reminder… haven’t seen Galaxy Quest in ages…

*Oh, Netflix??!*

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I have it and Shaun Of The Dead on DVD.

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Did I miss Hotair showcasing the World War Z trailer?

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

GOPCOTT TOO

SparkPlug on November 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I have it and Shaun Of The Dead on DVD.

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I have Shaun of the Dead, but not GQ – and shucks, it’s not on Netflix, and not on Amazon Prime for free. :(

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Whoa. I stand in awe of you. My 2nd favorite Christmas tale (after The Ref) is also British. I made Husband watch it last month: Love Actually. Glad I had tissues handy; the old stud’s allergies had him tearing up something awful.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Well I must say,it looks like,extra vigilance will be necessary
to sort out the Progressively Lefty Dead,at the Can/USA Border
Crossings!
(sarc).

canopfor on November 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM

As always they milk a genre to the ultimate end and it needs a few years gap before a reboot and this one, might just do its final push to the last drop of blood.

It will create a whole new sub-genre of zombie loves stories when at the same time ending the gore only zombies for years.

tjexcite on November 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

The GOPe will betray you

Electrongod on November 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM

tjexcite on November 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Um. Yay?

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Did I miss Hotair showcasing the World War Z trailer?

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

sharrukin:Not Exactly:)
=========================

and speaking of Legends,er Zombies!
===================================

Why World War Z scares me — and not in the good way
Saturday, November 10, 2012 – 6:04 PM
*************************************

We might live in an era of globalization, but its is nevertheless true that travel abroad leads to some odd news gaps when one returns. Last year I took a transatlantic flight and while I was incommunicado, Hosni Mubarak stepped down as the President of Egypt. During yesterday’s trip, David Petraeus resigned after… after…. well, insert your own pun involving Petraeus and Paula Broadwell here, but only if you think you can top the New York Post.

Still, I think the biggest shock I encountered upon my return was the new trailer for World War Z, starring Brad Pitt and based on the best zombie novel ever written (by Max Brooks).

I once asked Max — yeah, I know him, I get to call him Max, just f***ing deal with it — how he was handling the movie version of his book, and he told me that his strategy was to simply sign over the rights and then not pay an iota of attention to what happened. Once it became clear that the producers weren’t interested in his input, he figured that it was the only way to stay sane.

After watching the trailer, I think his strategy is sound, because it looks like what they’re doing to World War Z is a travesty:

Now, let me preface my reaction to this trailer with the following caveats:

1) All movies that are inspired by books will deviate from their source material. That doesn’t make the films bad (see my review of Argo, for example).

2) This is a trailer, and very often trailers are designed to misdirect your perceptions of how the film will play out. So maybe the movie will play out differently.

3) Even this trailer has hints of the book I love — there are suggestions of the sweeping global canvas that made the book so great.

All that said, this looks pretty bad.

First off, there’s the fast CGI zombies. One of the great pleasures of World War Z the novel was the way in which the degree of threat slowly creeped up, just like the walkers that Brooks used for his zombies. Switching to the 28 Days Later style of ghouls changes the nature of the threat in ways that undercut one of the central pleasures of Brooks’ novel. The trailer looks like a globalized version of 28 Days Later. Which would be OK if the zombies in the movie version of World War Z were as scary as that movie’s Infected. Which they ain’t. You know a movie’s Big Bad is in trouble when the Dark Seekers from I Am Legend look positively life-like(More….)
==============================

canopfor on November 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

canopfor on November 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Did I miss Hotair showcasing the World War Z trailer?

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Just visit your local welfare office on check day, you will get the same effect as the Z trailer where the zombies are coursing up the wall like ants.

Bishop on November 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM

BISHOPCOTT

SparkPlug on November 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

What the hell? Are you nuts?

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM

canopfor on November 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You should see the interview with the director about why the zombies act the way they do in Z. The filmmakers studied ants and wanted to portray the zombies as instinctual beasts rather than just devolved humans; it’s a pretty interesting take.

Bishop on November 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Bishop on November 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I knew there was something strangely familiar about that movie trailer!

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Reminds me of the joke: “What’s the difference between zombies and liberals? Zombies know they need brains and are out to get them.”
rg

rginco on November 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM

canopfor on November 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Bishop on November 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Bishop:

And a scary as hell take I might add,I think tactical nukes
would be an asset,a vulcan six barrell,and F/A devices,is a must
for inventory,haha,

thanks Bish,I’ll dig up that interview!:)

canopfor on November 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Can I just say women are completely psycho? First, romanticizing vampires and now zombies. Crazy stuff right there.

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Wow, that looks really good!

I assume he untoothed her. Otherwise, he kept a pretty firm grasp on her. She may be a walker, but he’s still a grown man who probably outweighs her by 400%.

Kensington on November 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I think you’d be a heart-breaking vampire, Terry.

Kensington on November 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Give Hollywood your money. So they can give it to the Democrat Party.

hawkdriver on November 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

hey Allah check out Harold’s Going Stiff… think you might dig it.

equanimous on November 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I think you’d be a heart-breaking vampire, Terry.

Kensington on November 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well I just colored my hair black and my skin is quite pale right now. So I do kinda have the vampire look going on! LOL!

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Someone please explain the current cultural zombie fetish? I cannot for the life of of me (no pun intended) to get into it.

Prefer run of the mill killers/killing sprees. American Psycho anyone? Anyone? *sigh*

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM

On a serious note I think these type of movies send negative messages to young girls. I gives women the false hope they can change the bad boys in their lives. No you can’t!

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I suspect it has to do with a loss of faith in society which you can see in the various other apocalyptic movies as well. People feel helpless in the face of modern society and the zombie apocalypse makes everything much simpler.

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM

But……..
bad boys are so fun.

And I cannot shake the idea of the bad boy falling for that one girl, never shaking her. doing anything for her–despite his nature. I love the rough ones. ;)

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM

It’s a highjack, but I can tell you something from a writer’s point of view. I just had this discussion with someone a bit ago.

The modern world, if you don’t want to tell a modern-world story, sort of stinks. It’s completely interconnected, for one thing. How is a character supposed to be isolated when all they have to do is pull the cell phone out and call the police? How is anyone supposed to break-down in the middle of nowhere (and have adventures ensue), when there’s no middle of nowhere — and again, there’s a cell phone in the pocket? These things can be gotten around, but it’s dangerously artificial at times.

Two choices, basically. The past, or a future where a fair bit of this infrastructure is torn down.

Much more to say about this, but that’s one explanation for all the post-apocalyptic writing, generally. You can derive it in other terms too — :)

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM

But……..
bad boys are so fun.

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I am not interested in bad boys. You can’t go into a relationship wanting to change the other person. If they are a bad boy now …..I’m not gonna wait till become a good guy.

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Of course someone still has to buy the book and watch the movie for it to be popular.

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

terryannonline on November 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM

No no…I mean, I wouldn’t WANT to change the bad boy. But the bad boy I’d want would have already proven I were the only one for him…completely smitten. But I’d not want to take the bad boy out of him, no way. :)

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I wouldn’t know about that. :)

I see what you’re saying. There was a book on the psychology of it all; I never actually read it, though, so I can’t comment. I don’t really know what it is. I’ve run into the choice though, recently. I’ve got an outline here and before I finish it, it has to go backward or forward.

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Axe on November 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM

There’s always the third world. They could be used as an alternate setting.

sharrukin on November 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Bee on November 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I guess we might defining differently :-)

Bad boys to me aren’t the “only one” material.

terryannonline on November 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

There’s always the third world. They could be used as an alternate setting.

sharrukin on November 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Then it would have to take place in the third world, though. Language, dress, everything. The location becomes the story, or a big part of it. Assuming the writer knew anything about it.

– SciFi in general — get off the rock altogether. But now it doesn’t feel like America anymore . . .

Parallel Universe (crap). But now the number of people picking it up just got cut to 6 . . .

– more & more.

Just easier to drop a bomb “a little while ago.”

Axe on November 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM

HOLLYWEIRD!

THE TOOL FOR MAINSTREAMING THE INDOCTRINATION OF AMERICA!

TheAlamos on November 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I saw this trailer a few days ago. It’s on my list of films to see eventually. And, like “World War Z” (of which I am currently listening to the audiobook), it’s based on a book.

ScoopPC11 on November 16, 2012 at 5:12 AM

sharrukin on November 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

What? No love for Spaceballs?

They’ve gone into plaid!

Comb the desert.

Yakko77 on November 16, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Hmmmm. Not how I pictured it when I read it.

tomas on November 16, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I take you never saw Aaah! Zombies!!

Very entertaining indy film.

tickleddragon on November 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yes, I caught that one on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommend it.

Esthier on November 16, 2012 at 8:38 AM

This looks like some fun.

CW on November 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

There is a movie called “Colin” that is zombie perspective. It wasn’t bad.

tomas on November 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Is this the young Mitt meets Ann movie? Too soon?

Fallon on November 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM

*clunk*

Fallon on November 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Allah, she didn’t bite him because they yanked all her teeth out.

scrubbiedude on November 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Boycott Hollywood.

Keep your distance from anything the critics love until it is proven harmless.

Laurence on November 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I already saw this movie, when it was called I, Zombie.

CoffeeMan on November 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Vampires are sexy because they are essentially human, but stronger, faster and they tend to be seductive. Werewolves can be sexy in their human form (strong and fast). But zombies have no brains and their flesh is rotting. No way will the zombie romance genre take off.

The reason why zombie movies/tv shows are fascinating to watch is because it represents a breakdown of society and a “how would people act if there were no laws/civiliation” kind of scenario. I love the post-apocolyptic genre in general, but zombies have the added bonus of having an identifiable and killable enemy.

CityFish on November 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Maybe Merle pulled out all her teeth?

Of course, I actually love the show, so maybe that disqualifies my opinions or something.

Cylor on November 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM