Graham: I’m “dead set” against promoting anyone involved in Benghazi debacle

posted at 2:06 pm on November 14, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Senators Lindsey Graham (South Carolina), Kelly Ayotte (New Hampshire), and John McCain (Arizona) are making the case for calling together a special joint select committee on the attack on Benghazi that resulted in the deaths of four Americans, the better to get all the information in one place since several Congressional committees can claim jurisdiction over the matter.

“We believe that the complexity and gravity of this matter warrant the establishment of a temporary select committee that can conduct an integrated review of the many national security issues involved, which cut across multiple executive agencies and legislative committees,” he said.

Mr. Graham said it would be more efficient to have one committee hear from State Department, Defense Department and Central Intelligence Agency witnesses, rather than having them appear before intelligence, foreign relations and armed services committees in a scatter-shot fashion.

Sen. Graham got out in front of the all-too-predictable “this certainly does seem extreme and partisan and accusatory, rabble rabble rabble” line of attack, simply pointing out: “Nobody died in Watergate.”

Seeing as how it’s now starting to look “likely” that President Obama will be putting U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice’s name up for a promotion to succeed Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, the senators made it clear that they aren’t exactly keen on the idea of promoting an official that either incompetently or deliberately peddled a false narrative crafted to help save the face of President Obama’s “I decimated al Qaeda” claim. If the Senate GOP wanted to mount a filibuster of her potential appointment, they could.

“I am dead set on making sure we don’t promote anybody who was a player in the Benghazi debacle,” Graham said in reference to Rice’s appearances on the five Sunday shows in which she blamed the Benghazi attack on a anti-Islamic video. …

“She is so disconnected from reality that I don’t trust her,” the South Carolina Republican told reporters.

John McCain, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, offered a straightforward case for why Ambassador Rice is “not qualified” to be Secretary of State during a solo appearance on CBS this morning, too. The anchors try to keep his feet to the fire, but McCain really knows his stuff, and the bottom line is this: “First of all, the casual observer knew that there was no demonstration. There was no demonstration, so, you could’ve known that to start with. Second of all, you should look into it and the additional information three days later. If you’re going to tell the American people something, you better make damn sure that it’s true.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Graham: I’m “dead set” against promoting anyone involved in Benghazi debacle

That’s great, except he thinks BENGHAZI is Mexican for “border fence”.

Bruno Strozek on November 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I wonder what the usual know-nothing CBS viewer took away from that interview, what with the firm language from McCain and the non-protestations from the erstwhile news duo, that I’d almost guarantee those CBS viewers hadn’t seen before?

I wonder if it’s starting to penetrate their conscience that there is something there?

“Watergate?” they’re thinking. “This is …Watergate? But worse?”

Interesting times, much?

davisbr on November 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

We need to support these guys so they don’t go all wobbly.

monalisa on November 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM

These guys were brought up politically when compromise with blue dog democrats was the way politics worked.

Today, they are having to work with or put up with radical marxists. It takes awhile to get up to speed with this crime ridden administration; noone wants to believe this could happen.

These two guys have been around a long time. They know a traitor when they see one. And they are old patriots no matter what else we might disagree with them about.

I say give them a chance….along with Feinstein….who also is
a patriot, no matter her left leaning viewpoints.

One other thing….they are older….they don’t have decades
left to play the game. And when one gets older, one doesn’t have
the patience to deal with fools. That is the beauty of getting
older; one doesn’t care about political correctness.

I was driving with my mother on the tollway over the weekend and
we were at an exit ramp where some guy had his “homeless” sign,
pandering for donations. She knows that I am always a sucker and
usually give them $20.00. She grabbed my arm and said, “don’t you
dare give him any money”. Then she rolled down her window and shouted, “What’s the matter, didn’t Obama return your phone call?”
She turned to look at me and said, “I’ve had it”.

I think many of us, including McCain and Graham “have had it”.

Amjean on November 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Christ, you’re a terrible writer…

tommyhawk on November 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Been reading Dreams From My Father, huh?

CJ on November 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

All I can say is that I’m really, really glad there’s no such thing as media bias, because it sure sounded like these reporters thought it was their duty to defend the president from the nasty Republican.

tom on November 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Susan Rice was merely poll-parroting the WH talking points of misleading (actually wrong) information.

onlineanalyst on November 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I want to know who set up and scripted Susan Rice. I’m betting on Axelrod or Jarrett. Somebody in the WH, probably not anyone from State or Intelligence. Point the big guns on whomever scripted Susan Rice.

I believe Rice knew or had reason to know that the attack was not caused by some obscure YouTube trailer, she knew (like Petraeus) the YouTube thingy was just the party line, but elected to repeat the party line on TV that Sunday to score points with Obama. The bigger guns, though, need to be aimed at the WH person(s) who sucked Rice into fronting and deflecting, and scripted her to put out the party line, when Shillary was no where to be found, probably too politically savvy to fall into this trap.

Rice that Sunday was an opportunist, dishonest patsy. But the one(s) who contrived this lie are an evil threat to the Republic.

Both Kerry and Rice are far lefties. For me the idolology between them is a toss-up. Who’s farther left, or who hate the military more, or maybe even who’s more pro-Palestinian.

For me, the ideological thing is pretty much a wash.

The key, after ideology, is integrity. Rice made a bad mistake by lying to us about Benghazi. Kerry has been lying to us and undermining this country all his life.

petefrt on November 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

From Fox News,earlier…..VIDEO(6:18)

McCain,on Benghazi,and Susan Rice!!

You’re watching…
Petraeus scandal spreads

Top commander in Afghanistan under scrutiny
Duration 6:18

Nov 14 2012
******************

canopfor on November 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Graham has his weaknesses, but as I’ve said before, he has a complex set of values. This administration has insulted almost all of them. He will bulldog this issue until some type of due process is settled.

rwenger43 on November 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Christ, you’re a terrible writer…

tommyhawk on November 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Speaking of which, that’s not the correct use of an ellipsis.

“When you critique someone’s writing, make sure your own sentence structure is not lacking. Otherwise, you look like a dumb ass.”

smoothsailing on November 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Ok here is My take on Petraeus -CIA-Triage. I have No sympathy. He knew the rules, he knew he was breaking them. How many times in his career did he take action against a subordinate for the same action? This goes for General Allen and Ltc Broadwell.
It’s a slander against all the men and woman that serve this country, some giving their lives and played by the rules. Yet these people we want to give a pass solely because they are petty demagogs.
I’ve said it before but keep it in mind. Full Cornel is the highest rank in the Army. General Ranks are Congressional Appointment. Congress gives and Congress can take it away. At any time. Broadwell is an actively participating Ltc in the Army reserves and as such is subject for violations of the UCMJ even if it is outside her position in the Army Reserves.

Again I ask how many careers of people did they end that did the same thing.

jpcpt03 on November 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM