Gingrich: Yeah, we have to get immigration off the table

posted at 12:11 pm on November 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Most readers seem to disagree with my perspective on the necessity of resolving the immigration-reform issue while we still have a say in how it gets implemented. Newt Gingrich, however, sees the same problem that I do, which is that the issue is an albatross around the neck of the GOP as it tries to reach out to non-white voters. “You can’t say to someone, ‘I’d really like to get your vote over jobs,’” Gingrich tells the Morning Joe panel, “‘and by the way, we’re kicking your grandmother out.’ It doesn’t work.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Jennifer Rubin notes that the immigration problem isn’t just a policy issue, and its damage isn’t limited to Hispanics, either:

Opponents of immigration reform say that the “Asian problem” can’t be because of the party’s stance on illegal immigration because that’s an issue primarily related to Hispanic immigrants from our hemisphere. Wrong.

The party’s position on immigration is off-putting to many ethnic and racial groups because it reflects, they believe, a GOP that doesn’t want them and doesn’t want a diverse society.

David Goldman offers some insight on the subject:

Asian-Americans, like any other immigrant group, come here with the hope of bringing family members with them. Tough enforcement of immigration laws makes life as hard for them as it does for any other immigrant group, and frustrates their hope of reuniting families in America. The result of our present immigration laws is that we fail to keep out the illegals we don’t want, and make it harder to absorb the skilled and energetic immigrants we do want. There will be endless discussion during the next few months of [Mitt] Romney’s mistake in moving to the right of Rick Perry on immigration during the Republican primaries, and I will leave the detailed parsing to the professionals. I hope the professionals talk to Asian-Americans first.

Asians now outnumber Hispanics among new immigrants. As Goldman puts it, “If we Republicans can’t persuade our most successful, entrepreneurial, family-oriented citizens to support us, we won’t be in business much longer.”

It’s that perceived hostility to diversity that will lock the GOP out of urban centers, where Democrats enjoyed a big turnout, even with a better economic message and policy.  Note that the GOP share of the Asian vote declined by an even greater degree in 2012 than the decline in the Hispanic demographic.  The Republican Party has to improve its standing among these demographics — not by pandering, but by offering conservative solutions that improve their lives.  But in order to make the argument, we need to improve the perception of our agenda, and immigration reform is a big obstacle to that goal.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The reason for this, is because after 2-3 generations, they’re culturally more American than anything else.

And this is where everyones arguments completely fall apart.

We have every indication in the world that Hispanic Americans are going through the exact same melting pot every other immigrant group went through. Yet, somehow, people keep insisting that they are somehow in some way different.

Do you need to examine the legislative history of immigration laws?

This is serious business and I can give you examples of populations and cultures being overrun, conquered and destroyed. This has happened even when the new folks were benign. And I have talked to illegals at length.

Ask the folks in Palestine about or the Indians who remember the Brits.

I am picking up that they don’t respect the Anglo tradition and they hate us. They want the whole enchilada.

We need Frank Lutz or Gallop on this.

Aside from the guys hanging around, I spoke of earlier, I had a date with a beautiful Latino lady who was from Cali. and previously married to a successful, white Medical Doctor from UCLA or someplace like that.

Since I can put the lowlight in six or so sentences, I shall.

Specifically, she told me about rotten things she did to wreck his career and most of his life.

I said, you got money, he respected you more than the Latino guy you were cheating on him with, he is dedicated to the kids and etc. So why be so rotten for no reason?

She said “Four Hundred years is why!” I was confused and showed it.

“I should have been married to a handsome, successful Latino man!”

OMG. It must have been dark in there.

IlikedAUH2O on November 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

sentinelrules on November 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Again, the American Hispanic population is quickly trending middle class, this is a fact. It is also a fact that the American Hispanic population becomes more culturally American every generation, and that we need to do better among these groups if we’re going to survive in the future.

You know what else is a fact, the fact that its harder to win somebodies vote when you call them a moocher!

Sorry, I’m just stating the fact. I thought you were all about the facts, right? 9_9;

PS: Are you implying that only white people can be racist?

WolvenOne on November 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Ah, the Rev. Wright theory, only white people can be racist. Yes, racism against non-whites used to be true during segregation, etc. in the 20th century. With all of the affirmative action and PC, reverse racism is the primary racism these days.

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Yes, because I am the biggest Rev. Wright fan out there./s

sentinelrules on November 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Oh, Ed. Proof you’re delusional and just too nice of a guy.
oryguncon on November 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I fear Ed may be losing his edge after dropping the OOTD. I actually agreed with his logic at the time, but don’t like this kinder, gentler, conciliatory Ed.

Bring back the Obamateurisms!

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

PS: Are you implying that only white people can be racist?

WolvenOne on November 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Most Hispanics continue to be poor and are welfare queens. FACT. The US Census says so, so are they racist?

Hey genius, why didn’t Reagan’s Amnesty in 1986 bring Hispanics into the GOP fold?

Let me guess, Reagan was a racist.

sentinelrules on November 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Because they vote.
And they will continue to vote against you, especially if you kick their grandmother out.

connertown on November 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

So, you want to reward illegal behaviour or be held hostage to lawbreakers?

I swear, if I had known you guys were so easy, I’d never had obeyed the laws. I’d have just overstayed my visa and let Democrats and ERs throw rose petals at my feet while jockeying for my future vote./

How is it that the United States has become a country that rewards and beatifies lawbreakers while considering those that obey the law as “mean, greedy, selfish, racist, and hateful”?

I actually know people who are patiently and legally waiting to come to the US and/or become American citizens. Too many Democrats and Republicans would rather reward the lawbreakers than those who are playing by the rules. Obama is always whining that everyone deserves a “fair shot, a fair share and should play by the same rules”…except when they shouldn’t, in his estimation evidently.

What’s next? The children of the middle class telling the GOP that they will never vote Republican unless they get free college educations, jobs for life with a minimum starting salary of $100,000 per year, free housing, free healthcare, free European vacations, free pot, free yachts, free beach houses, etc, etc, etc?

The GOP will never be able to out-pander and out-Santa Claus the Democrats.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Path to citizenship:
1) Any of the illegal aliens allowed to stay must apply for green card and wait until five years after they receive the green card to apply for citizenship just like those who followed the rules.
2) They are placed at the end of the same line as those who have followed the law.
3) The end of the line is determined by the date they applied, not the date the entered illegally.
4) No special categories will be added to accelerate the process for them.
5) No applications for green cards from illegal aliens will be accepted until after the wall is completed and e-Verify is uniformly enforced.

agmartin on November 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

So you are for Amnesty 100%.

Sick.

They should have to go home and start the waiting.

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’m staying home. I’m done with the party of stupid. I’ve voted in every single election, school board, primaries, etc for the past 16 years. But the party of stupid wants to be leftist-light so they can count me out. Anyone know a nice, quiet part of the country where I can get a job to make ends meat and live with like-minded conservatives?

njrob on November 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Um, you do know that sentinelrules is on your side, don’t you?

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

njrob on November 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Exactly

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

We are all just “Readers” now.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Let me guess…They’re white Europeans, right? You see, rules and limitations are for white “oppressors” only.

I’ve met plenty of Europeans in California who want to become citizens but have a hell of a time managing to stay here legally. I’ve also known many Guatemalans, Mexicans, and other “latinos” who have been here illegally for 20 years.

The GOP will never be able to out-pander and out-Santa Claus the Democrats.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Exactly right.

Django on November 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Got your Pandering Pampers on?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

njrob on November 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Exactly

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I can just see the news reports after another Republican loss in 2016. “Why did white Republicans not come out to vote? That’s a question Republican leadership is asking itself today after another crushing loss in national elections….”

The GOP can’t even understand what’s wrong, nevermind understanding the solution. Expect more speeches from Lindsay Graham & Co. gleefully damning “angry old white men.”

Django on November 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Amnesty would be catastrophic for the Republican party. Passing amnesty did nothing for Reagan, and being known as the big amnesty guy did nothing for McCain. This is not a surprise, as passing the Civil Rights act (as they should have) in a greater percentage than Democrats did not deliver the black vote to Republicans. Heather McDonald’s research shows that Hispanics aren’t voting on immigration policy anyway (some surveys show a majority of Hispanics are against amnesty, by the way). Rather, Hispanics have simply been caught up in identity politics and are voting for government goodies – just like the black vote. And the last thing the Republican party needs is a second “black vote” to deal with. Our only hope as a party is to educate Hispanics about the damage that the welfare state inflicts on a community before they go as far down the identity road as the black vote has gone.

Amnesty would not get Republicans Hispanic votes and it would only result in bringing tens of millions of new votes to Democrats. If winning elections is their goal, passing amnesty is the last thing Republicans should do – it would be slitting the throat of the party forever. It is fool’s gold. Communicating the truths of conservatism is the only option.

daviddunn on November 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Um, you do know that sentinelrules is on your side, don’t you?

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Not particularly, no. But don’t mind criticizing my own side if that’s true, so doesn’t really matter which side he’s on.

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Django on November 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

When you’re right you’re right.

njrob on November 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

When are the politicians going to put the needs and wants of the citizens and legal immigrants of this country ahead of the demands of the illegals who only want a hand out? So tired of our politicians acting like the demands of law breakers need to be given top priority and rewarded without consequence, but citizens and those who obeyed the law entering don’t matter.

Sunspots on November 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

The short answer is: never.

Here’s the reason:

The GOP will never be able to out-pander and out-Santa Claus the Democrats.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Do you need to examine the legislative history of immigration laws?

Ask the folks in Palestine about or the Indians who remember the Brits.

We need Frank Lutz or Gallop on this.

Since I can put the lowlight in six or so sentences, I shall.

She said “Four Hundred years is why!” I was confused and showed it.

“I should have been married to a handsome, successful Latino man!”

OMG. It must have been dark in there.

IlikedAUH2O on November 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

All true and on point and the GOP will never acknowledge it. Even before this last election, they have wanted to avoid the truth and get people who hate them (for ugly reasons) to “like” them. It won’t happen. The GOP is doomed and so, unfortunately, is the US.

Django on November 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

njrob on November 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The other scary part is that the last nations visited by the ancestors of the guys coming from our south were the Incas, Mayans, Andians and etc.

That process had its (Ahem!) issues.

They have people down there in hiding who are “no contact” and they seem to keep some kind of a culture going.

Sometimes extreme retreat is not a good way to grow and develop over time.

IlikedAUH2O on November 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Now I know why R’s lost the election–they are all stupid. Reagan took immigration off the table yet here it is again and always will be here again and again and again because the idiots running both Parties refuse to put a real stop to immigration by protecting our borders.

aposematic on November 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Yep…and Asians. The two “ethnic groups/races” (for lack of a better description) that have, historically, been more successful and done so at a much more rapid pace. For example, look how quickly the “Vietnamese boat people” (ridiculous name) acclimated themselves, assimilated and became successful. Asian culture has always been harshly self-disciplined, family-oriented, self/family-reliant, strident on education and personal advancement. The Vietnamese were always going to become successful in America, along with those from Japan, South Korea, China, etc. It was a given.

I think the US government allocates visas and grants citizenship with some sense of collective, white guilt and an attempt to apologise for the sins of colonialism, slavery, etc, as though it was never a colony itself, was the only superpower ever, only sinner, and other races didn’t (some still do) participate in the scourge of slavery. Yet, the country shouldn’t base its immigration policy on some sort of reparation system. We need brains, not drains. If you want to see what happens when mass immigration is adopted without a care to the impact on budgets, culture, and survival, look no further than Europe.

Europeans couldn’t be bothered to have enough children to pay for their lavish welfare states so they imported “their children,” who were all supposed to work and pay the taxes. Unfortunately for the native Europeans, the immigrants (mainly from Northern African, the Middle East, and Pakistan…and Muslim) found that they liked the lavish welfare state, too. So, not only do the countries have many, many more on the dole, fewer taxpayers, unsustainable welfare systems which the people refuse to give up, but they also have radical second and third generation Muslims, who have become radicalised. The Islamists have begun to dictate to Secular Europe because nature abhors a vacuum. Islamism filled that void.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Newt Gingrich
Stop talking and spend some time thinking

Oh well…

the_nile on November 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It’s simple: understand that the rest of the world cannot comprehend why a society would insist that wealthy people deserve better education and health care. You can be as socially conservative as you want, but you can’t go on defending a system that puts the wealthy first.

ernesto on November 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

The entire rest of the world?

Even the part that kills girls who want to go to school?

Or this part?

Or this part?

Gelsomina on November 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

OK, I’ll play.

Care to point out just when and how blacks became “democrats”?

riddick on November 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Blacks aren’t democrats. Individual members of the black community may be democrats.

What two things to do Herman Cain, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams and Mia Love have in common? Associating political ideology and race is what the left does.

HarryBackside on November 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Here’s where I’m coming from on this: Some people have to obey laws but others don’t. I’m a law-abider and always will be because, as Jessica Rabbit would say, that’s just how I’m drawn. But that makes me a fool, and at a disadvantage compared to those who don’t have to obey laws.

Why should anyone bother to follow laws when others don’t have to? Seems to me that without rule of law applying to everyone, only a fool bothers to pay attention to the rules when others are busy getting the most for themselves, and gettting rewarded for it.

I’ll always be the way I am, but if younger people want to operate outside the legal confines, I’m no longer going to lecture against it. Any system where laws are to be respected by one group, but don’t apply to another group, is a corrupt system in the first place, and deserves no respect or honor.

This applies to much more than just illegal immigration. Those like me who played by the rules and hurt no one, and who taught our children to be good people and good citizens, are vilified now. So I say, to hell with it.

Alana on November 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

So you are for Amnesty 100%.

Sick.

They should have to go home and start the waiting.

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Not in favor of it, just see it as inevitable.
Since they are unlikely to be sent back I want to minimize what they gain from skipping the line.

agmartin on November 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

In America, rich old white men are going the way of the bison and the GOP sees it.

The tax and economic policies are erasing the “rich” part and the fact that the money is invested seems to be lost on the MTV gang.

The “old” problem has no cure and the end is being accelerated with their medical programs are apparently being looted.

And “white” will be gone if we keep our immigration policies, lack of support for talented, ambitious white couples, and the media’s caricature of Nordics as stupid and ugly.

The last time I looked, they subsidized, encouraged and supported the young people to have kids in the successful areas of Europe.

I wonder where the future grandmas who are bank vice presidents and raise the kids who are dumped by people with better things to do are going to come from?

IlikedAUH2O on November 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Newt is sane about taxes.

But insane about immigration.

Why not take his own advice on Immigration?

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

HarryBackside on November 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Too clever by half on that one. Herman Cain associates political ideology and race because knows all about the Democrat plantation. It’s not raaaacist to point out blacks are democrats. 95% voted for The One

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

ernesto on November 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It’s called EARNING. You get what you EARN. You deserve exactly three things: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. After that, it’s up to you.

Do some people have it made by birth? Yup! AND SO DO YOU IF YOU’RE BORN IN AMERICA! You want equality? Trade your position with someone from Uganda. I’m pretty sure they’ll be okay with it.

But you don’t get ahead by taking from the rich. You get ahead by making yourself wealthy. You do that by working.

AJsDaddie on November 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Hey, how about if you have an illegal in the country, you get your butt bumped out too. don’t want to split up those families!

rgranger on November 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Exactly

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Django on November 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Angell is a nutter.

Glenn Beck only sees Romney’s religion is blind to anything Romney did in his life except join Becks Church.

Sorry I am a Conservative and Romney is a Communist he actually was taught it by the master Saul Alinsky.

Steveangell on October 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Yes! Romney the “vulture capitalist,” “inventor of outsourcing,” “Swiss and Cayman Islands’ bank accounts holder,” “likes-to-fire-people guy,” “corporations are people, too, my friend,” etc, etc, etc is Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels, Josef Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Ho Chi Minh, Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro all rolled into one.

except join Becks Church.

Romney joined Beck’s Church? That’s what Stevie’s tinfoil hat and double-secret decoder ring told him. Never mind that Romney was born into a longtime LDS family and Beck converted to Mormonism in October of 1999. Romney joined Beck’s Church!!! That’s Stevie’s story and he’s sticking to it!!!

Obama will lose the next debate.

Ryan won the debate this week. In the end Biden came off as a Jackass as did the moderator/friend of Obama.

Unlikely Crowley will want to come off badly. If Obama attempts to interrupt Romney three times every minute as Biden/Raddax did to Biden Romney will handle it like the pro that he is.

Ryan got through to the American people. But it is quite possible that Obama will go in there with the primary objective of making people change the channel or turn off the TV. Biden achieved that quite well but the independents that did so also blamed Biden. Doubt Obama wants that for himself. Will be interesting to see how Obama achieves this. Wag the Dog is a possibility.

But you people are assuming Obama wants to win this election. At this point I am thinking he is not that into winning. Of course for me that is consistent. My worst fear has always been that Romney was preferred by Obama as our next President. Setting up Obama for 2016 and complete control again.

Steveangell on October 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

“Your brain on bath salts.”

- This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy and Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowske

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Not in favor of it, just see it as inevitable.

agmartin on November 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Don’t really need to send them back. Make it impossible for them to get a job or any benefits remove their children’s citizenship (anchor babies) they will go back home.

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Why not take his own advice on Immigration?

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

We will…after he builds the border fence on his Moon colony.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

People can give Ed a hard time all they want, but if they keep the same approach…what makes them things will change?

Democrats have managed to demagogue this issue in such a way that Asians and hispanics believe that the GOP is the old white man party.

It is good to have people like Jindal and Condi Rice out there, but that is not enough. They need to make policy compromises that demonstrate a real desire to bring more people into the party and the country.

Or they can doing the same thing the same way and hope for a different outcome.

Terrye on November 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

“Your brain on bath salts.”

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hey Troll.

Saul Alinsky would be so proud of you.

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Let me guess, Reagan was a racist.

sentinelrules on November 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Just to set the record straight…Reagan’s plan was not an “Amnesty” plan, but a plan for legal entry, and to citizenship…the criteria he set was not “amnesty”, but rules and regulations that would control immigration, and identify productive immigrants in the U.S., as well as identity and remove non-productive illegal immigrants.

No where in his bill will you see the words “amnesty”…

right2bright on November 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I do not blame Romney for going to the right on immigration…it was what the base wanted. That is the problem. I thought Gingrich made a huge mistake on immigration in the Republican debate, now I wonder if that is true.

Terrye on November 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hey Troll.

Saul Alinsky would be so proud of you.

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Hey, loon! Alex Jones IS proud of you.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Terrye on November 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

How does the 2016 candidate keep those base votes by moving to left? In 2010, immigration was a winning issue. There were strong conservative voices who were not ashamed, like Sarah Palin and Jan Brewer. In 2012, a moderate ignored full spectrum conservatism and called for a truce on all other issues to talk about the economy.

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Hey Troll.

Saul Alinsky would be so proud of you.

Steveangell on November 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Hey, loon! Alex Jones IS proud of you.

Resist We Much on November 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Aw, don’t be mad. I AM proud of you. Good trolling. You can go back to Koz now.

–Saul D. Alinsky

sauldalinsky on November 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

As so many others have stated, explicitly or implicitly, this is a setup. There is no way to logically countenance such treason in any other way. Any who agree with Gingrich or his sort are equally traitorous.

This whole waltz has grown quite monotonous over the years….

DrScottMD on November 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Instead of quoting Gingrich and Rubin, how about we look at some data:

More Hispanic Voting Myths
Why the media’s emphasis on race and ethnicity is wrong

john.frank on November 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM

LOL!

Ed and everyone here drank the KoolAid 47, a disastrous mixture of Romnestupid and Obozo pisses!

IMMIGRATION YOU SAY? IMPLEMENT THE LAW! STREAMLINE THE PROCESS! REMOVE RED TAPE IN PROCESSING PETITIONS! REMOVE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS WHO USE THEIR POSITION AGAINST THE APPLICANTS!

Yes, it’s the corrupt Immigration Officers (mostly demoncrats) who take advantage of their position (the allegations are so many but no one cares to investigate them) and make the rest of American people bad before the eyes of the Hispanics!

Obozo promised nothing at all except “WORDS”.

TheAlamos on November 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I am physically sickened by these so called conservative leaders who are so willing to cede the moral high ground for political expediency.Look, lets just cut to the chase.These illegal aliens(yes,that is what they should be called)are here illegally.Nothing about which is difficult to understand.If you are here illegally,and I don’t care for how freaking long,or if you are a kid or a grandmother,you should be rounded up and sent home.And don’t give me this bulls**t about that not being feasible.Since Obama loves his czars,let him name Sherrif Joe Arpaio the Czar of Rounding UP Illegals And Sending Them Home.Hell,if he thinks we need a new Secretary of Business,he ought to buy into this,right?If all the troops and National Guard coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq are put to the task I have faith that the greatest military in the world could get the job done!And we could easily pay for all of this by applying the savings to the vast network of social services currently being utilized by these illegals,illegally by the way.And why should we do this,when all these so called conservative leaders of the GOP are crying out for amnesty with their lips puckered to kiss some Hispanic butt?Because it is the morally right thing to do,period!Nobody should be able to break the laws of this nation and feed at the national trough while bankrupting the states of our union.As for the GOP,don’t ever again ask me for a dime,my time,or my vote.I just joined the other 8 million white voters who didn’t show up to support you unprincipled political opportunists.

redware on November 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

If the immigration issue is so important how come it didn’t hurt obama since he voted against comprehensive immigration reform as a senator under bush?

philrat on November 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Terrye

And that is all anyone needs to know about you. Yes, appealing to the base is the problem. Our candidates should appeal to the democrat base instead. How did that work out for him? You people are so freakin’ stupid. Do you think Romney lost the Hispanic vote because of something he said in April? Did Obama lose the Hispanic vote by bragging about being the biggest deporter of illegals ever? Did millions of white voters sit home because Romney was against amnesty?

Or they can doing the same thing the same way and hope for a different outcome.

Terrye

Ironically, thatis exactly what you’re recommending….yet ANOTHER amnesty plan. Why don’t we really try something different for a change like….oh, I don’t know, upholding the rule of law maybe? If we’re going lose, and that’s no longer in doubt at this point, why not lose while doing the right thing instead of losing by caving to blackmail?

No where in his bill will you see the words “amnesty”…

right2bright

Reagan’s plan was amnesty, whether he called it that or not. Anyone claiming otherwise isn’t being intellectually honset.

xblade on November 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Ed, you’re shaming yourself. Rush Limbaugh’s already blown this demographic theory out of the water. Many hispanics voted for Obama not because of race, but because they’re POOR and Obama promised them things. Stop echoing the other side’s talking points, please.

R. Waher on November 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

R. Waher on November 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Exactly.

The only way the Republican party can win this debate is by educating the voters. Try telling people how much an illegal family costs them by all the subsidies the government provides and you’ll see voters reconsider they stance.

On the flip side of the coin, tell each illegal family that wants to become citizens that their children will be responsible for the uncontrolled debt and will owe the government $250,000 and counting….oh, and welcome to America!

moonsbreath on November 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Somehow I don’t think Republicans will need to try too hard in persuading Asians that they should be voting Republican after the tax hikes and Obamacare kick in. After all, most Asians are small business owners.

moonsbreath on November 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM