Video: ‘Honor Flight’ trailer

posted at 3:31 pm on November 12, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

We’ve covered this moving movie project before. In August, it set the record for biggest audience for a movie screening, playing to a crowd of 28,000 at Miller Field in Milwaukee.

Now, you can get it to a theater near you. But, as with most documentaries, filmmaker Dan Hayes must rely on us to build buzz and audience for this incredible story.

First, watch the new trailer.

After you’ve stopped wiping your eyes, pass it along to your friends and family who’d like it.

Then, go to HonorFlighttheMovie.com and pledge to see the movie. This will help Dan get the story of so many of the Greatest Generation into theaters, and maybe even in the Oscar running for documentaries.

My grandmother was a Navy WAVE during World War II. She served in intelligence in Washington, D.C. before marrying my granddad when he came home from his time in the European theater as a bombardier. I never got to meet him, but one of my favorite memories is when my family got to take my grandmother to the World War II Memorial, where she could see the nation’s tribute to them both. This film is the story of our citizens trying to do the same for every World War II veteran.

Take a few moments this Veterans Day to pass this trailer along and give a lift to those efforts.

Visit HonorFlight.org if you’d like to find and support an Honor Flight chapter in your state.

Comments

My grandmother was a Navy WAVE during World War II

wow. My grandma was a Navy nurse in WWII.

ted c on November 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

To the Greatest Generation and all the Vets…

… THANK YOU!!!

Seven Percent Solution on November 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Sad to say, but I think that America died on November 6, 2012.

outOfElement on November 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

My grandmother was a flapper!

Akzed on November 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I am so glad that my father (WWII,navy,pacific)did not make it to see this past election. The greatest generation sacrificed so much for us and this is how we repay them. God Bless them all. God bless the country that was the United States of America.

HoustonRight on November 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I rubbed elbows with a large group of honor flight guys ~2yrs ago at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Nat’l Cemetary. It was really neat to watch the changing of the guard along with them. Great bunch of gentlemen and women.

ted c on November 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Seriously?!? I just tried to share the website on Facebook and it is flagged as “abusive or spammy”.

donkichi on November 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

A giant hat tip to all, from 1775 to 2012.

(to say that I had to tell the Geico ad to go back downunder)

Limerick on November 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I have had the privilege of being in the presence of an Honor Flight on two occasions. The first was inadvertent. I was coming into Chicago Midway Airport from a business trip. I was made aware when I came into the terminal where there was a massive crowd to welcome home the WWII vets from their journey to Washington DC.

The second time was as one who welcomed home my wife’s uncle from his flight. My Uncle by marriage served in the Pacific Theater. He is quite unwilling to speak of his service, so by indirect questioning, we’ve come to the conclusion that his job in the service was to set-up telephone service on newly captured islands. He and his buddies would work in seemingly intolerable conditions of heat, humidity and danger from the Japanese soldiers and marines who hadn’t either been killed or hadn’t given up.

He did his job without any glory or much of a reward. I believe he received a small portion of the appreciation when we welcomed him and the rest of the honorees. I have never shaken so many hands in such a short time. Bless him and everyone who has served our country! It was my honor to see him there.

CiLH1 on November 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

My Irish immigrant father slogged through North Africa, Sicily and Italy as an ordnanceman. 36 months. Veteran of Monte Cassino, liberated Rome. He was actually reported KIA not once, but twice. He never, ever would talk about it.

I remember the day that Nixon resigned and watching it on TV with him. I looked back at him and he sat there softly crying. If he was alive today, he’d be sobbing at what the country he loved so much has become.

He always told me and my siblings that we didn’t appreciate how great America is. I’m not so sure he’d say that now.

NavyMustang on November 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Thanks Uncle Harry. 2/27/16 – 7/1/44

Rixon on November 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Colonel Ken Pond, one of the main fund raisers and organizers of the memorial is a personal friend and neighbor…what a great story he has of his life.
He represents the finest…

right2bright on November 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

We owe it to the Greatest Generation to stay in the fight, to never give up, and to win this country back. They may be passing on, all too quickly, but their cause endures, the cause for freedom, and it is our sacred duty to see that their sacrifices were not in vain.

As a descendant of men who fought in every major war, from the Revolutionary War through World War II, I often wonder what they would do or would’ve done if faced with the enemy we face today, and afterward I feel even more inspired and dedicated to their cause, our cause now, than I did a week ago.

Thanks to all the veterans everywhere for what you did and what you do for our beloved country. *Salutes*

TXUS on November 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’ve had the pleasure of volunteering for Honor Flight in my neck of the woods. We have a group of such dedicated volunteers. We have a waiting list of those willing to lend their time to make sure these heroes are able to see their memorial.

If you’re a teacher, get your students involved. The one thing the veterans love is “Mail Call” while on the plane. They receive mail from local students and when they return they have the opportunity to meet them. It closes the generation gap and keeps their stories alive with this generation.

If you’re able to, please donate a few bucks. It goes a long way and is so appreciated.

I have a ton of photos I took of veterans returning from their trip but don’t know what to do with them. Any ideas?

NYconservative on November 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I can’t believe I forgot this…thank you KH for posting this!! Amazing!

NYconservative on November 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I love flying in and out of National Airport. When they announce the arrival of a honor flight the terminal comes alive. It is awesome the way these Vets are greeted by utter strangers.

And for scoffers who question why it matters- WWII Vets truly did get home without any sort of welcome. I think mostly because people were war-wearly and ready to get back to normal. Vets included. They didn’t want to dwell on what they did or what they saw in warfare but, rather, they wanted to get back to their lives.

There was a WWI monument in DC within months of the end of the “great war” but it took 60 years for the same to be true of the second great war. Vietnam and Korean war vets got recognized before them. That is just sad.

Happy Nomad on November 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

NYconservative on November 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Contact the organization behind honor flights and ask if they are archiving the experience? Seriously. I know there is pleny of images of the Vets while they are here in DC but I wonder how much material they have from the return.

Happy Nomad on November 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Thanks Happy Nomad. I think I’ll do that. I post them to our fb page but that’s as far as it goes. Hate to think of that as the end of their road.

You know, there isn’t much to match that feeling when they walk up to the terminal and hundreds are there to greet them!!

NYconservative on November 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Hi All – I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I feel that I “know” many of you.

A good friend of ours has written this e-book and is donating all royalties to the Wounded Warrior Project. His wife recently was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a mastectomy last week, and is facing months of chemo and radiation. He is currently working/flying in Africa and is only home a few weeks every couple months.

Please consider purchasing this book, for yourself/as a Christmas gift/etc. and/or sharing the information, posting it on your Facebook page, etc. It would really help Pat’s spirits during this difficult time to know his efforts in writing this book are being rewarded, in addition to helping our wounded warriors.

Flying the Lifeline: Marine Helicopter Pilot by Patrick Shaub

PS: If you don’t have a Kindle, you can still get the book

TX_HCG on November 13, 2012 at 6:18 AM