Politico: The GOP’s suffering from “Pauline Kaelism”

posted at 8:40 pm on November 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

My favorite thing about this story, a solemn warning about the perils of cocooning yourself in hyperpartisan media, is that they’re rolling it out 24 hours after the NYT’s splashy piece about the rise of MSNBC. “Many progressives (and conservatives) now view the channel as a megaphone for liberal politicians, ideas and attacks against those who disagree,” notes the Times. According to a recent Pew study, MSNBC’s coverage of Romney this fall was significantly more negative than Fox’s coverage of Obama (which was highly negative in its own right). If you find yourself being lectured this week about Fox News and the ills of epistemic closure, make sure your lecturer wasn’t part of the audience that helped a liberal propaganda outfit win the demo three nights in a row last week for the first time since 2001.

Anyway. It’s a weird news cycle when this is the topic du jour today while the topic du jour yesterday was a conservative pundit calling for tax hikes on the rich on Fox News and the topic du jour a few days before that was Sean Hannity “evolving” on comprehensive immigration reform. But okay. Meme on:

GOP officials have chalked up their electoral thumping to everything from the country’s changing demographics to an ill-timed hurricane and failed voter turn-out system, but a cadre of Republicans under 50 believes the party’s problem is even more fundamental.

The party is suffering from Pauline Kaelism.

Kael was The New Yorker movie critic who famously said in the wake of Richard M. Nixon’s 49-state landslide in 1972 that she knew only one person who voted for Nixon.

Now, many young Republicans worry, they are the ones in the hermetically sealed bubble — except it’s not confined to geography but rather a self-selected media universe in which only their own views are reinforced and an alternate reality is reflected…

In this reassuring conservative pocket universe, Rasmussen polls are gospel, the Benghazi controversy is worse than Watergate, “Fair and Balanced” isn’t just marketing and Dick Morris is a political seer.

Is it true? Are Republicans subsisting exclusively on a diet of Rush, Hannity, and Fox? Well, we do okay traffic-wise and a quick check of our own Headlines section as I’m writing this reveals links to righties like Legal Insurrection, The Right Scoop, and Michael Medved, but also to the Times, Thomas Ricks, lefty political journalist Thomas Edsall and, yes, Politico. Regular readers know that sample isn’t unrepresentative; it’s not unusual to see stuff there from HuffPo, Reason, or TNR either. But forget the anecdotal evidence. What about studies of news consumers? Via Legal Insurrection and our former Greenroom contributor Karl, here’s one:

[T]he core finding is that most Internet users do not stay within their communities. Most people spend a lot of time on a few giant sites with politically integrated audiences, like Yahoo News.

But even when they leave these integrated sites, they often go into areas where most visitors are not like themselves. People who spend a lot of time on Glenn Beck’s Web site are more likely to visit The New York Times’s Web site than average Internet users. People who spend time on the most liberal sites are more likely to go to foxnews.com than average Internet users. Even white supremacists and neo-Nazis travel far and wide across the Web…

This study suggests that Internet users are a bunch of ideological Jack Kerouacs. They’re not burrowing down into comforting nests. They’re cruising far and wide looking for adventure, information, combat and arousal.

Want more? Go look at the graph political scientist John Sides posted on his blog The Monkey Cage back in April. The quick and dirty result:

To summarize, most individuals do not refuse to hear the other side. In fact, most people consume predominately non-partisan local TV newscasts, while tuning out news from partisan sources altogether. Of those who do turn to partisan sources, most Republicans and Democrats have virtually indistinguishable news diets. Contrary to recent claims, there is little evidence that the electorate is self-sorting into “ideologically like-minded information cocoons” at the level being described by scholars and political commentators.

On the graph’s Republican line, you’ll notice a mini-spike on the right side indicating that some subsection of the GOP does consume a lot of conservative media each day. There’s no similar mini-spike on the left for Democrats but bear in mind that the data was compiled in 2006, just as Olbermann was starting to push MSNBC onto the media map. I’d like to see what that graph looks like today. The larger point, though, is that most Republican news consumption is well balanced, not partisan, which is what you’d expect across a huge population like the GOP electorate. Most people don’t follow politics closely day to day; Rush may have an audience of 20 million but McCain got 60 million votes in ’08 and Romney will approach that number this year. That’s how we ended up with the two of them as nominees despite opposition to both from conservative talk radio and grassroots righties. So on the one hand, the prevalence of Republican “cocooning” is overstated. On the other hand, there’s a chicken-and-egg problem. Are people in the mini-spike group cocooned — if they’re cocooned — because they refuse to consume media that exposes them to contrary arguments or is it that they’re ideologues of their own making, with many counterparts on the left, who are supremely confident in their political beliefs and who enjoy media that articulates those beliefs consistently? In other words, is MSNBC turning casual progressives hyper-liberal or do hyper-liberals simply enjoy watching MSNBC because Lawrence O’Donnell can make the case better than they can? It’s not an either/or proposition, but in my experience the passage from the Brooks op-ed quoted above is correct — it’s not that ideologues from either side can’t bear listening to contrary arguments, it’s that they think they’ve found the answer and that their chosen belief system can (more or less) answer every potential policy problem. My odds of convincing a liberal person of faith that he/she should become either conservative or atheist are roughly equal, I’d bet. He/she will happily hear me out, but I’ll get nowhere. That’s just how it is with someone who’s very committed to their ideology.

But anyway. Yes, cocooning is bad; that’s why Thomas Edsall and HuffPo are in Headlines. (In fact, the latest item up there at the moment is a piece from David Frum (gasp!).) Even if a few of our more ideological readers rule them out as not worth engaging, most won’t. That’s what Sides’s graph is all about. Two things, though, to wrap up this topic. One: The basic hook for Politico’s piece, I take it, is the fact that so many conservatives discounted the state polling in October and assumed Romney would win. But … Romney thought he would win too, not because he was listening to talk radio but because his internal pollsters were using a faulty model of the electorate to gauge expected turnout. He had a data problem and an ORCA problem, not a “Rush Limbaugh problem.” There’s no one I can recall offhand arguing that Romney would win simply because the alternative was too terrible to contemplate. The argument was that enthusiasm for Obama had faded too far from 2008 levels to replicate D+7 turnout, and that appeared to be supported by both Gallup’s and Rasmussen’s national polling. They both had Romney ahead by a point on the eve of election. I missed Gallup’s initiation into the vast right-wing cocooning conspiracy. Two: Since we’re talking cocooning, which lefty blogs/news sites routinely feature right-wing op-eds or analyses the way, say, we feature liberal or centrist ones in Headlines? Virtually every critique I read of Democratic pols from grassroots Dems online is from the left. Which liberals are complementing their demand for tax hikes on the rich by pounding the table for deficit reduction and entitlement reform before the cherished welfare state collapses on itself? Does either of these pieces qualify as cocooning or, as usual, is it only a Republican vice? What sort of smart, sober, reality-based analysis on the subject of fiscal reform do you expect from MSNBC over the next four years?

Via Mediaite, the latest from Fox News.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fire the pollsters who got it so wrong…

Drunk Report on November 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Start winning the argument with the people who voted against Romney.

Keep fighting for the souls of the teenagers in high school.

Don’t pander, convince.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I’m so tired of being told what I should do.

I am a conservative period. I will not apologize for it so save your breath liberals.

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ahhh… The Insular Cocoon Meme of the Day.

Ignore the media. (hey, wait isn’t that cocooning?)

faraway on November 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I’m so tired of being told what I should do.

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

THIS^^^

Electrongod on November 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I don’t know about the GOP in general, but the comments here are eerily reminiscent of Democrats circa 2004: How we didn’t REALLY lose, it was all voter fraud, it’s the beginning of an American dictatorship, America is over, half of the nation’s voters are idiots, etc., etc. When you start sounding like Kossacs, it’s time for an intervention.

calbear on November 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

WOW… you seem very offended by yet another lie from the left… Have you seen how idiotic some of the left wing trolls that you tolerate on this site are? These little f***s really believe that communism and socialism is the best thing that can happen to us… Stop being sensitive to the criticism of the left… You notice that they do not give a damn about anything we say about them no matter how true it is… I have learned that the only way to deal with a leftist is to put him/her down and always show them how idiotic their ideas are and what a bunch of hypocrites they are… Never respect a left wing person, never…

mnjg on November 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I am so over the idea that a bunch of commies calling themselves conservative should be paid attention to about what the GOP needs to do.

Happy Nomad on November 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Publicly declare that religion and morale is one’s private business, not that of the government. Get rid of the troglocon wing once and for good, and let them vote Democrats. That is the only thing – short of withholding their precious hi-tech gadgets, of course – that will scare the millenials-plus worse than crappy economy.

Archivarix on November 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The GOP lost because they campaigned on actual important issues.

Little did we know that most of the US cares more about smoking pot, getting free heathcare and birthcontrol, and a supposed war-on-women.

Sad day for America. Its Bread and Circuses time folks.

BVM on November 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Agreed, but that’s my point — they sound like liberals circa 2004. I’m not denying that there are conservative ideologues who are guilty of the cocooning problem, I’m arguing that it’s not a uniquely conservative problem and that it’s not all that prevalent even among conservatives. Again, see Sides’s graph. It’s overrepresented in places like blog comment sections because some people who are very ideological will seek out forums like that to vent. (Which is not to say that those forums are exclusively populated by such people, of course.) But even here, you need to understand that regular commenters are a tiny fraction of the wider, less motivated readership.

Allahpundit on November 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Start winning the argument with the people who voted against Romney.

Keep fighting for the souls of the teenagers in high school.

Don’t pander, convince.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

We can only win the argument with no more than 10 millions people out of the 62 millions who voted for Obama in 2012… We can also win the argument among those 8 millions who voted for him in 2008 but stayed home in 2012… That would be enough to win the next elections… But make no doubt that about 55 million will never ever vote for conservatism and the republican party, so we should not give a f*** about winning these people on our side…

mnjg on November 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I feel like I should be reclined on a leather couch…well, it all started when………

d1carter on November 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I’m so tired of being told what I should do.

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

This.

People should have a right to do and be whatever they want. And i hate how when Republicans lose, the media feels the need to tell me what i should do, what papers to read, and what to watch.

milcus on November 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It takes time to explain conservatism to people. We have four years. Best we get to it.

Mr. D on November 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

*******HotAir Alert**********HotAir Alert***************

ATTN: BasilBeast will be along shortly to tell us all that Mormon Bigotry is why Romney lost.

You can return to your normal commenting.

portlandon on November 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Conservatives and libertarians are bombarded by liberal ideology all day long — from the MSM, the internet, movies, books, doctor’s offices and public servies (showing NBC or CNN). Every time I check my email I see liberal-slanted stories on the sidelines. We go to liberal schools, liberal colleges, and many of us work in liberal-dominated work places. We are NOT/NOT “cacooned.”

On any given day, I can spout off the latest 10 liberal talking points. I doubt any of my co-workers could do the same (in reverse).

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Sad day for America. Its Bread and Circuses time folks.

BVM on November 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

“It’s Chooming time in America”

Electrongod on November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Most excellent post…

mnjg on November 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM

The way I look at it is you do the cut and paste and it saves me and however many of us NOT to click. It’s good to have a general idea, but I refuse to give them traffic.

Starve the beast.

Politico are hacks. If they (or most of the media) were to tell me it’s raining outside not only would I look, but I’d stick my head out to make sure.

Oh, and by any rational definition Kristol is not a conservative. If he were advocating the “let it burn”, perhaps, but he’s just trying to save his relevancy and also keep in the good graces of the echo chamber.

As for the polling, etc, with so much voter fraud going on out there and so many issues that we’re hearing of now (howya doing, Allen West!) who’s to say they were somewhat correct?

Lastly, why refusing to buy into the garbage be it either from the left or the right, cocooning? The ideology of Breitbart (as I understood it initially) was to be a beacon of truth – somewhere we could all go to get The Truth, no bias, no mandate.

Is the new definition of refusing to buy, read or listen to garbage “cocooning” rather than being considered doing the right thing? Or is this just another way for the media and the irrelevant to define us and attempt to keep themselves relevant?

kim roy on November 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

*cocoon.

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Social Media,news media, TV, Movies, the Public education system, its all catered to and benefits the Liberals.

We lost this war a long time ago.

portlandon on November 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

It wasn’t the ultra-conservatives who got it wrong.

It was the moderate wing who refused to believe the polls right in front of them.

This happened to a lesser degree in 2008 when the cheer-leading took on a life of its own, and any contrary voices were too quickly labeled Obamabots, or treasonous.

sharrukin on November 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

It was a close 51 to 49 loss.

Big deal.

The Republicans need to gain two points by 2016.

Not cut their own throats with hysterical silliness and over-reactions (Amnesty! et al).

profitsbeard on November 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The Real Lesson of the Election-Indiana vs. Ohio

redridinghood on November 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

HA! You ever read the comments over at Daily Kos?

Those people know only what Markos, HuffPo, Slate, NY Times, WaPo, NPR and TPM put in front of them.

Anything else is considered part of the “vast right wing conspiracy” and they sure as hell aren’t going to bother reading it.

And yes, that included Gallup when they showed Romney up in the polls.

Flora Duh on November 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What was the death toll on watergate?

The complete media cult around Obama is appalling.

the_nile on November 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Never respect a left wing person, never…

mnjg on November 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

And never, ever trust them. It’s like a parent dealing with a two year old who constantly engages in throwing tantrums. Giving in to their incessant demands is giving up.

They never change because they never grow up. They are perpetual children.

Cody1991 on November 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

True that. I also expect that many also read liberally-biased but specialized forums – InTrade, for one – and use Facebook, which is chock full of raving moonbats.

Being a computer pro, I’m still solidly in the camp of “they stole it”, just because they definitely could – and if they could, why wouldn’t they? I also find Nate Silver’s 50-state match eerily suspicious – never forget that he’s a Dem operative first, and only then a statistician.

Archivarix on November 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I will watching for the liberal cocoons over the next four years as more Americans get more and more dependent on a bankrupt government.

d1carter on November 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

It’s impossible for me to live in a conservative cocoon. Liberal spin is everywhere. I can’t get away from it.

Wigglesworth on November 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

*The Right* is in a cocoon?? I thought we put the nail in this liberal-talking-point coffin a while ago.

Confirmed: Conservatives understand liberal positions better than liberals understand conservative positions

Liberal super-PAC leader: It’s easier to beat Republicans by calling them racist than engaging on policy

“LITTLE BLUE BOOK”: PROGRESSIVES’ STRATEGY IS TO LIE TO THE PUBLIC AND NEVER ENGAGE POLITICAL OPPONENTS’ ARGUMENTS
The Little Blue Book: Quotations from Chairman Lakoff

CanofSand on November 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Archivarix on November 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Considering dropping the Facebook. In all honesty, if I even wanted to “cocoon” myself, it would be pretty hard short of living off the grid in northern Alaska or something…

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I see all of this as nothing more than ball spiking by the left legacy media. Showing us losers how smart they were all along.

d1carter on November 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Starve the beast.

kim roy on November 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Lets you preview links and media without giving them the clicks.

Flora Duh on November 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

dr/tl (didn’t read / too liberal)

/sarc

ShainS on November 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

2004:

Bush: 62,040,610 (50.7%)
Kerry: 59,028,444 (48.3%)
Difference: 3,012,166 (2.4%)

2008:

Obama: 69,456,897 (52.9%)
McCain: 59,934,814 (45.7%)
Difference: 9,522,083 (7.2%)

2012:

Obama: 62,255,298 (51.4%)
Romney: 58,890,300 (48.6%)
Difference: 3,364,998 (2.8%)

I think Politico, along with both Democrats and Republicans, are suffering from Pauline Kaelism. Listening to Democrats, you’d think that Obama won a stunning landslide and historic mandate. The only historic thing about his reelection was that he is now holds the record for being the President to win reelection with less votes than he won his first term and by a slimmer margin than even the previous recordholder, Andrew Jackson, who beat Henry Clay by 56% to 43.6%.

What the politicos aren’t recognising is that the American electorate is FED UP with Washington. The ruling class is living in a bubble and, one day, the people of this country are going to go to DC with pitchforks in hand.

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Conservatives have been tuning out the MSM for close to two decades now. They come to Conservative friendly places like Fox, and outright RNC cheerleader places like NRO,The Weekly Standard, and such. HotAir until last Tuesday was one of the places I thought would call it straight. But Their blinders were on as well. Who can blame them? Most all of the “One Term” triggers had been indicated from past Presidential elections.

I just don’t know anymore.

portlandon on November 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

d1carter on November 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

More justifications from the desperate! The fact is, that all info is disseminated here and in other right leaning sites! The only places you can get banned for having a differing opinion are on the Leftist sites! The unfortunate reality is that the eSTAB repubs have become so similar to the Dems that it’s harder to tell them apart, every day that passes. The eSTAB-Conservatives-in-the-Back Republicans have made their Back Stabbing beds and now they’re going to have to sleep in it… all alone or with Leftists, because the rest of the right are sick and tired of being blamed for their failures, as well as, the Back Stabbing, the Circular Firing Squads and the eating their own! You want to act like Libs go live with the libs! Besides, with the political cover, they’ve given the Traitor-in-chief and the likely collusion, they deserve each other. As far as many on the right are concerned, you eSTAB repubs can take your Party & stuff it where the sun don’t shine! We’ve had enough!
Fight the Obama Enemy media or Kiss the Constitution Goodbye: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on November 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I doubt any of my co-workers could do the same (in reverse).

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I’ve tried it – just offering a different idea – not conservative ideology – simply something to provoke the thought process.

It has always been met with dull stares and slight drooling. You see, if I had discussed Am. Idol or some other, stupid TV show they would have become animated and talkative.

The very idea of personal responsibility or managing the government in a businesslike manner makes their minds shut down.

I have never met a liberal who does not live in a cocoon.

Cody1991 on November 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Flora Duh on November 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Heck just look at some of the threads over at Twitchy. They seriously just spout talking points. Even when they don’t make any sense.

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Lets you preview links and media without giving them the clicks.

Flora Duh on November 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Bookmarked. Thank you VERY much, Flora.

kim roy on November 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Kind of idiotic to continue to think that what happened did not happen; Romney ran on the economic argument and lost (crappy strategy, poor messaging, gotv failure did not help). Population, time and again listed economy and jobs as main concern, not immigration, contraception etc. They had a taste of obamanomics and liked it.

runner on November 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

HotAir rarely if ever links to anything Ron Paul related. The liberty movement has been blacklisted and unfairly smeared by most in the GOP media, Neil Cavuto being an exception. When all the cheating and vote rigging against his supporters was going on during the caucuses and the national convention I don’t recall anything about it here, and if there was a brief mention there was certainly no outcry from the right. Many of the people here thought disenfranchising Ron Paul and his supporters was great!

FloatingRock on November 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Stop with the friggin finger pointing and lets do something to change why Romney lost. Start to fix the GOTV machine NOW! Not in 2014 or 2016. RIGHT NOW!!!

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

We did call it straight. We sincerely didn’t believe Obama could replicate D+7 turnout. I gave you the reasons why. If you’d prefer to believe that this was an insane idea from the deepest part of the fever swamps, proceed.

Allahpundit on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

2008:

Obama: 69,456,897 (52.9%)
McCain: 59,934,814 (45.7%)
Difference: 9,522,083 (7.2%)

2012:

Obama: 62,255,298 (51.4%)
Romney: 58,890,300 (48.6%)
Difference: 3,364,998 (2.8%)

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

The REAL story:

Obama loses over 7 million Democrat votes since 2008!

profitsbeard on November 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Consider me one of the cocoon people, then. Want to know why? Because I’m surrounded by libs in real life where it’s impossible to cocoon them out of existence. It’s not as if most of us don’t get enough of ‘know thy enemy’ in our daily lives anyway, be it family, co-workers, or just watching TV.

Just sayin.

tdpwells on November 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

AMEN!

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

calbear on November 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Yeah, and? Those same Democrats won huge victories in 2006 and 2008.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Could this be part of the reason we were surprised by the results:

Pa. officials plan no probe despite extraordinary turnout, totals for Obama in Philly

On Monday, the Inquirer reported that in 59 of Philadelphia’s “divisions” — these are subsets of wards, wherein fewer than 1,000 people might be registered to vote — GOP nominee Mitt Romney failed to win even a single vote. Collectively, the votes for Obama across these divisions added up to 19,605, to Romney’s zero.

State Rep. Sam Smith, the Republican from the 66th District who serves as speaker of the Pennsylvania House, called the results “questionable.” “In some precincts in Philadelphia, I think you’re going to see, as they finish the official count, places where there are more people voting in a precinct than actually signed in at the poll book,” Smith told Fox News.

Colbyjack on November 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

The GOP lost because they campaigned on actual important issues.

Sad day for America. Its Bread and Circuses time folks.

BVM on November 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

What strikes me is that after losing, Gov. Romney is just fine. The people who got paid to run his losing campaign are fine. Sean Hannity is fine. Rush Limbaugh is fine. Bill O’Reilly is fine. Glen Beck is fine. The folks on The Five are fine. The “analysts” and “strategists” who get paid to hash over party talking points are fine. The pollsters are fine. The bloggers are fine. Sen. McCain is fine. Sarah Palin is fine.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are pretty damn scared about what could happen not too far down the line.

None of these people who control the conversation got hurt one damn bit by yet another loss. But, we’ll support whomever they send our way again next time around. And if that candidate royally sucks, there will be no dearth of posters shouting down the “Eeyores” who will point out his woeful inadequacies as a candidate.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Good piece, is it to much to point out Incumbent Presidents consistently win and this 50-48 loss is less impressive then Bush 2004.

rob verdi on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Allahpundit on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I agree..I never thought they would get a D+7 either..:(

Dire Straits on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well, if the American electorate are fed up, they had a funny way of showing it last Tuesday. The only way you will get people and their pitchforks to Washington D.C., is when our economy finally collapses.

When the masses can no longer send hundreds of text messages a day on their fancy gadgets, when it costs $10 to download a song on iTunes and they can’t afford the simple basics, only then will they pay attention.

Let. It. Burn.

JPeterman on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Love this post, AP. :) Might be my favorite of the year. This bit at the top:

– says enough to pay for the ticket.

Have decided not to touch that. :)

This idea, though, this meme, might be missing the target a little. We can see that we surf different sources, so if “cocooning” is defined as deliberate isolation that way, we aren’t cocooned. But if cocooning means refusing to believe what we’re reading when we’re elsewhere, a lot of us are pretty well sealed up (any political stripe). But who can blame us? Most of the sources we have in front of us are authored by Miss Information.

Axe on November 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Excellent idea..:)

Dire Straits on November 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Not to disparages all of those mentioned and others, but for some in the GOP ‘establishment’ it’s just a job and some don’t seem to care either way – I could tell you stories but I’d rather not.

Chip on November 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Bill Kristol is NOT a conservative, you damned retards. Neither is Krauthammer.

rayra on November 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

And I’m sitting here listening to Hannity giving Dick Morris more talking time to make more excuses as to why he was so wrong. He should be laughed out of existence, instead of getting even more face time. Same goes for Karl Rove.

JPeterman on November 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

what were the next three sentences after that allahpundit?

I said how could you be blamed, as every “one term” trigger had been indicated. Obama broke the model every other president was held to.

Obama is the exception, not the norm

portlandon on November 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

JPeterman on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

They are fed up with both the Republicans and the Democrats. Bush was one of the worst budget busters in the business until Obama showed up. We suck a little bit less than the other guy, just isn’t that inspiring.

sharrukin on November 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I’m so tired of being told what I should do.

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

This. ^^^^

Conservatives and libertarians are bombarded by liberal ideology all day long — from the MSM, the internet, movies, books, doctor’s offices and public servies (showing NBC or CNN). Every time I check my email I see liberal-slanted stories on the sidelines. We go to liberal schools, liberal colleges, and many of us work in liberal-dominated work places. We are NOT/NOT “cocooned.”

Firefly_76 on November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

… and this. ^^^^

Most excellent comments x 100

PatriotGal2257 on November 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Don’t pander, convince.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

That^

Mimzey on November 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

How many of us watch the legacy media TV news outlets, NBC, ABC, CBS? I haven’t watched their news programs in years. I am trying an experiment, watching one of these nets everyday, morning shows, nightly news, any news. If this is all I watch, how would I have voted? So far, my blood pressure is up, and I have a sense of doom. Don’t know how long I can do it….

d1carter on November 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Colbyjack on November 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Yep. That’s my state. The PA GOP is almost as gutless as the national GOP.

Damn them all.

PatriotGal2257 on November 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

JPeterman on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think that a lot of people have become apathetic because they just hate and distrust politicians and politics, in general. It probably happened years ago. I’m haven’t been here long enough nor am I old enough to when it happened, but I would surmise the 1960s/Watergate, etc, probably had something to do with Americans clicking off. To me, as an observer, I find that most Americans don’t care about politics and government. They know more about Snooki than their own governor, mayor, representative, president, etc, except that they know “they’re all corrupt.”

Deep-down, I believe that Americans know that something is deathly wrong, but just like the Greeks and Spaniards did, they are hoping that everything will just somehow work out. It won’t and when that day arrives, Washington DC will look like Athens and Madrid.

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

What was the death toll on watergate?

The complete media cult around Obama is appalling.

the_nile on November 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

My thoughts exactly. The thought that a bunch of thugs breaking into Democrat headquarters is worse than the deaths of 4 Americans shows such breathtaking ignorance that it leads one to believe these people have lost their grip on reality. Reason cannot win if the majority of the media and the electorate are irrational, which that statement strongly suggests.

talkingpoints on November 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I’m back! Did I miss anything?

SouthernGent on November 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Lets you preview links and media without giving them the clicks.

Flora Duh on November 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Another big thank you from me. I can’t download it here at work, but I sure will at home.

Thanks!

PatriotGal2257 on November 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I think Kristol may have something there, if Barry taxes “the rich” it will not save the economy, the revenue source will be miniscule compared to expenditures and obamanomics will collapse. Until now bush tax cuts kept the economy on life support. Time to remove it, no ? Elections have consequences.

Oh, and those stories about a so called conservative cocoon….those who profess this meme must have missed the video where ardent obama supporters are stunned to hear about something called Bengazi.

runner on November 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Yep. I agree.

There’s not much else to say. I’ve been tuning out for the last week and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Cody1991 on November 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Here is a second idea that would help with GOTV. Fix the messaging! The GOP had good ideas this time around and lost to petty garbage. Gay Marriage. Is marriage in the constitution? No. So shut up about in federal elections!
Follow Paul Ryan’s idea and go into the inner cities and explain to them how democrats really hate self empowerment! Make Romney’s point crystal clear that charity and empathy cannot be measured by how many people are added to welfare, but how many you can get off welfare to live their lives. Show them how if some of the poor become less dependent on welfare, liberals lose and will do everything they can to keep the poor down and dependent. Heck maybe even a small targeted stimulus to the inner cities could go a long way.
Explain to blacks that their number 1 killer isn’t heart disease or violence, but abortion. That Obama and the democrats want to let the decline continue. Yes there are terrible circumstances that must be accounted for to allow abortion. But its an act that is killing the black community.
Thats off the top of my head right now.

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

When you win you don’t have to answer these questions.

All those years when Lee Atwater’s Southern Strategy was working for the GOP, did a lot of people sit around and ask, But what does it mean longer term for Republicans, in a country that’s becoming increasingly duskier? No, it was the Dems who did the navel-gazing and said things like, We’ve forgotten how to talk to the American people.

bobs1196 on November 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I’m back! Did I miss anything?

SouthernGent on November 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

we had an election on the 6th, you wouldn’t believe who won !

runner on November 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I’m back! Did I miss anything?

SouthernGent on November 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Obama Fantasy Island: Da Choom! Da Blow! Da Plane!

M2RB: Kalai

She’s Baaaaack: Thanks, Obama

M2RB: Kalai

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM

You are correct, AP. The problem is not one of the conservatives cocooning. By and large, the media are saturated with leftist ideology whether in news, opinion, or entertainment. There are few avenues for conservative or libertarian expression and thought exchange.

The Obysmal campaign dominated with its message until the Republicans held their convention, freeing Romney to fire back. It was up to the surrogates to promote the message until then. Just look how few are represented on the Sunday squawk shows, and too many of them are ineffectual spokesmen for a conservative/libertarian message.

The Republican conservatives have to reach out into the urban areas and rally at colleges or even high schools. Fiscal restraint and small government and economic opportunity have to resonate with these groups, but first they must hear the message repeatedly.

The confluence of photo-op Obysmal in Sandy’s aftermath and that “revenge” rally that he had sent his base to the polls. I wouldn’t discount election site hijinks in select cities either. The Republicans had the enthusiasm to toss out Obysmal, but they had to overcome the message of envy that Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers was pushing.

onlineanalyst on November 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I have no quarrel with AP’s argument that Hot Air posts links to more-than-just conservative sites. No argument there.

But when the overwhelming majority of Hot Air readers pick Romney to win (I think it was 96%), when the vast majority of Hot Air readers predict the Republicans picking up seats in the House (many, many took the “8+” option), and when the vast majority of Hot Air readers predict that the Republicans take over the Senate, then clearly there is cocooning/echo chamber whatever you want to call it.

And for the record, I picked Romney in the poll, but I picked Republicans with 49 or less Senate seats, and the Democrats picking up 8 seats in the House.

asc85 on November 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Right. The difference is that this is a big country, and if Barf gets his way, gas will be @$10/gal, air fairs will be outrageous, and no one will be able to afford to get to the capital to wave their pitchforks and protest.

Yeah, yeah…. I’m pissed off. I’m surrounded by stupidity and complacency which makes me crazy.

Cody1991 on November 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Not to disparage all of those mentioned and others, but for some in the GOP ‘establishment’ it’s just a job and some don’t seem to care either way – I could tell you stories but I’d rather not.

Chip on November 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Yep. And they are all like John Roberts, abandoning their principles the minute it gets the tiniest bit uncomfortable for them in their little social circles.

I’ve long suspected that the establishment GOP really doesn’t want anything to change, even when they’re supposedly ‘out of power.’ I bet a good amount of all the bluster from the Dems toward the GOP is for show. When they’re out of earshot and/or the public eye, and if you were to catch one of them in an unguarded moment, the truth would be that they only care about themselves, their jobs (maybe) and their little power trips and to hell with everyone else.

PatriotGal2257 on November 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM

asc85 on November 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

But those were the ones still remaining, hadn’t been silenced by the rabid cheerleading squads, and wanted to vote in that poll. It’s a self selecting group and the ones who stop caring…well they didn’t care.

sharrukin on November 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Thats off the top of my head right now.

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It is delusional to think that Blacks, a vast majority of them, are going to be convinced that the democrat party is not good for them… They are so much depending on tax payers handouts that there is no way on hell that they will ever vote for the Republican party that tells them to go and work for a living…

On the other hand we can do much better with Hispanics and we need to do it quick before the racist democrats turn them to the financial slavery of the state like they did to blacks since the 1960′s…

mnjg on November 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

‘Toon of the Day: Cult of Obama

M2RB: Living Colour

Resist We Much on November 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

HotAir rarely if ever links to anything Ron Paul related.

FloatingRock on November 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Ron Paul is a racist loon with moronic ideas. If the “liberty movement” wants to be taken seriously they need to hitch their wagon to a legitimate spokesperson not some liar who wants to legalize pot and make America into an isolationist domain. Seriously, you guys have as much credibility as LaRouche back in the day.

Happy Nomad on November 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The GOP media is indeed a cocoon: Blacklisting Ron Paul’s branch of the Republican Party and covering-up cheating and vote rigging by the GOP establishment against him and his supporters during the primaries and national convention is unquestionably a cocoon.

Aggregating Democrat and GOP propaganda together, most of which is based on a fictitious narrative that has little to do with the reality on either side of the isle, only spins the cocoon larger rather than diminish it. Providing a platform for talking points and spin from both sides while blacklisting/covering-up a truth-teller like Ron Paul, a Republican, does not disproof a cocoon.

FloatingRock on November 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I would love it if the only conservatives on MSM tv for the next four years were one or more of the following: young, black, hispanic, gay, east-asian, asian, native American, or another minority. Also, they should be totally smashmouth with the liberals.

Mitsouko on November 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

sharrukin on November 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I was one of those cheerleaders and I won’t apologize. I’m also a Palinista, so you know where my loyalties are.

What I saw was a choice – the choice to vote in Romney, have some breathing room with the status quo to work towards getting better people in office and neutering the LSM as opposed to the chaos and devastation that a second Obama term will cause.

I’m also not going to apologize for my opinion as above, making my case and thinking that people who want to do what we have to do WITH the Obama chaos as being silly.

Now it`s been done. We`ll have to do it the hard way, which is a shame, but maybe in the long run better. Like addicts, perhaps the voter has to hit bottom.

kim roy on November 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Ron Paul is a racist loon with moronic ideas.

Happy Nomad on November 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

You are a liar, there is no evidence that Ron Paul is a racist. It was also a lie when during the primary debates when Bret Baer said that Ron Paul’s foreign policy is liberal. In fact Ron Paul’s foreign policy is conservative and Bret is just another propagandist trapped in the Fox News/GOP propaganda cocoon.

FloatingRock on November 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Allahpundit on November 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Well, there were a lot of us conservatives who weren’t in that particular cocoon and who predicted a Romney loss. Of course, we were personae no gratae.

When you start sounding like Kossacs, it’s time for an intervention.

calbear on November 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Keep in mind though that the Dems didn’t win until the Kossacks in essence took over the Democrat party. Lesson number one from 2012: you don’t win without a fired-up base, and you don’t fire up your base just by urging them to vote against opposition.

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Want a GOTV machine? Nominate a better candidate.

ddrintn on November 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

and of course, no lefty blog has right-leaning troublemakers who are as smart and insightful as the lefties on HA!

sesquipedalian on November 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

* personae non gratae

ddrintn on November 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Thats off the top of my head right now.

Zaggs on November 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

They know and they don’t care. They would rather have their free stuff.

Every liberal I have spoken with can’t think beyond their creature comforts and what they want today.

They truly are happy with their bread and circuses and if that means sacrificing some children to the liberal god of abortion, they do not care.

Jvette on November 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I’m so tired of being told what I should do.

gophergirl on November 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

…you are being nice!…here…let me!
…FLUKE YOU liberals!

KOOLAID2 on November 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My point was not that the right is cocooned as a whole, or any more so than the left, but that many folks are, and those folks are very likely to comment on this site. During the past week, I have felt a lot of 2004 deja vu. Shouldn’t we try to be better than that, and not merely console ourselves in the fact that we aren’t any worse?

calbear on November 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Revenge article.

One of many.

These guys hate taking crap from the right during election season. They want to coddle leftie opinion – not polling – but prespective.

When they get called on it, and have to recalibrate, they get shite from their prog friends/acquaintances for giving in.

It’s the classic prog game of shame.

So now that Barry won, it’s payback.

Even a guy like Halperin, who was pretty fair for the election cycle, has turned into a total A-Hole on twittah. Even Tapper has taken his fair number of shots.

They do not like us, and it’s born from ideology, arrogance, and a crumbling business model.

So, every piece you see like this is an attempt to shame, and make you come back to Politico, NYT, etc…but with the understanding that they’re not going to validate your perspective, again.

budfox on November 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Liberals are basically vicious I am sorry. The right doesn’t swing in and try and destroy the left after they lose. 2010 was only 2 years ago and I don’t remember any taunting then about them going conservative or else. The “crime” of us Republicans is that we couldn’t believe that the 2010 anger had subsided so much as to put the electorate back where it was at D+6 which DIDN’T make sense and Monday morning crowing by the Democrats that they knew it the whole time is just their own bias being accidentally right. The more probable thing that 2010 was real and 2008 was the outlier with an unknown rock star President without a record still stands. The left has NO IDEA how weak their President is sitting with an America that gave him a second chance not a blank check and the coming recession will be a wake-up call like Katrina in 2005 was for us. I personally don’t visit Politico because of this kind of poisonous crap and if Allah thinks we need to expose ourselves to the left-wing hack machine to be “informed” I disagree. I stand by Hot Air and the rest of the right web sites who unlike the left DO DISCUSS the whole spectrum of issues the good and bad not hide stuff like Benghazi from us. Does anyone think ED and AP would hide Benghazi from us like the MSM? You can even see their fear in mentioning that only crazy people think Benghazi is as a bad as Watergate. Let’s be clear if Benghazi gets out the Politico is toast on credibility for not covering it and that is ALL CYA FROM POLITICO!!!

Conan on November 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Allahpundit on November 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

That’s the most troubling thing of all. When you look at the current economic conditions; it just didn’t make sense. The only historical precedent for this is the FDR regime that managed to win four elections despite keeping the US in a depression for 10 solid years. … and confiscating all privately held gold … and initiating socialist policies like WPA … and starting the first socialist entitlement program: Social Security

Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow citizens.

On the bright side, it was only 2.8% more stupid Americans than intelligent ones so we do still have a chance.

AZfederalist on November 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

After all, for each headline from liberal or moderate source X, there’s a good chance that one of the first comments will be, “X? Not going to even click.”

calbear on November 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM