Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on November 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

“He doesn’t have to play to get reelected anymore, which is huge,” said Chicago supporter Jim Slama, who first met Obama in 2001. “It frees him to be who he is.”…

“I’m hopeful,” said Slama. “He’ll try to play to the middle, but he’s got the Tea Party to deal with, and he can take out his baseball bat and wail away and he won’t have to worry about the implications of reelection.”

***

“Millions of American evangelicals are absolutely shocked by not just the presidential election, but by the entire avalanche of results that came in,” R. Albert Mohler Jr., president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Louisville, Ky., said in an interview. “It’s not that our message — we think abortion is wrong, we think same-sex marriage is wrong — didn’t get out. It did get out.

“It’s that the entire moral landscape has changed,” he said. “An increasingly secularized America understands our positions, and has rejected them.”…

The evangelical share of the population is both declining and graying, studies show. Large churches like the Southern Baptist Convention and the Assemblies of God, which have provided an organizing base for the Christian right, are losing members.

“In the long run, this means that the Republican constituency is going to be shrinking on the religious end as well as the ethnic end,” said James L. Guth, a professor of political science at Furman University in Greenville, S.C.

***

This year Democrats’ arguments on values were heard. This was a “values” election as strident as the ones from culture wars past in which Christians marched against subsidies for Mapplethorpe, creationists vied for seats on Kansas school boards, and William Bennett demanded to know where the outrage was. What was different about this year’s culture war is that Republicans lost it

Obama has made a lot of mistakes, but running the country as a business is not one of them. Like Bush before him, he is always stressing how America is the only place where membership in the nation derives not from race, ethnicity, or religion but from belief in an idea.

The bright side of that vision is a beautiful thing, but there is a dark side to it, too. If America is an idea, you can belong to it regardless of your ethnic background. But you cannot belong to it regardless of your beliefs. A tendency to lecture the American public on what they are supposed to believe has become a constant in the president’s oratory. “That’s who we are,” he said in his victory speech on Tuesday. He was talking about the need to help an 8-year-old girl with leukemia, a fairly uncontroversial proposition. But he uses this trope even when talking about the tiniest velleities, usually expanding it to “that’s not who we are as a people.” If there is one disturbing truth that Obama has always understood, it is that a winning American campaign is always about values, is never lukewarm, and is generally a bit scary-looking to foreigners and losers.

***

In my own state, where the Democrats ran the board on election night, the “Live Free or Die” license plates look very nice when you see them all lined up in the parking lot of the Social Security office. But, in their view of the state and its largesse, there’s nothing very exceptional about Americans, except that they’re the last to get with the program. Barack Obama ran well to the left of Bill Clinton and John Kerry, and has been rewarded for it both by his party’s victory and by the reflex urgings of the usual GOP experts that the Republican party needs to “moderate” its brand.

I have no interest in the traditional straw clutching — oh, it was the weak candidate . . . hard to knock off an incumbent . . . next time we’ll have a better GOTV operation in Colorado . . . I’m always struck, if one chances to be with a GOP insider when a new poll rolls off the wire, that their first reaction is to query whether it’s of “likely” voters or merely “registered” voters. As the consultant class knows, registered voters skew more Democrat than likely voters, and polls of “all adults” skew more Democrat still. Hence the preoccupation with turnout models. In other words, if America had compulsory voting as Australia does, the Republicans would lose every time. In Oz, there’s no turnout model, because everyone turns out. The turnout-model obsession is an implicit acknowledgment of an awkward truth — that, outside the voting booth, the default setting of American society is ever more liberal and statist.

***

In future, our elections will be like those in Britain or New York. We will be presented with a choice between a statist liberal and an out-there uber-liberal. And with the uber-liberal enjoying the full backing of the media and Hollywood, it’ll by no means be an easy win for the ordinary Mike Bloomberg or David Cameron-style liberal, who will be portrayed as a heartless plutocrat if he happens to come from money, or as a hopeless rube if he happens to come from nowhere…

The school choice movement will be killed off as “draining resources from public education,” which really means it harms a core Democratic interest group, the teachers’ unions. The simple matter of requiring voters to supply I.D. will be forbidden, not because it doesn’t make sense, the voters don’t want it or because it’s unconstitutional, but because it harms Democratic party interests. The two parties will fall all over each other in their efforts to mollify illegal immigrants. The new health-care entitlement will become increasingly onerous and costly, with all discussion limited to how best to “save” it, until one day employers’ efforts to work around it cause a frustrated government to convert it to a full-on single-payer Socialist scheme.

I didn’t expect this would ever happen to my country, and certainly not so fast, but we are now a decadent European social welfare state, sure to be accompanied by European levels of economic stagnation, taxation, welfare rolls, unemployment and perpetually misallocated resources such as subsidies to favored companies. Military irrelevance will soon follow as the staggering costs of the cradle-to-grave socialist state grow exponentially. Iran will soon have nuclear capability, to be followed in short order by its Middle Eastern neighbors, folllowed shortly by widespread proliferation of nuclear arms to terrorist groups.

***

If we are to lose America as it has been, could we not ask that it be lost to something better than this? Our president, a Narcissus masquerading as a Demosthenes, makes big speeches packed full of little ideas, and he is applauded wildly for it. His, says Marco Rubio, “are tired and old big-government ideas. Ideas that people come to America to get away from. Ideas that threaten to make America more like the rest of the world, instead of helping the world become more like America.” I will vouch for the verity of these words. I have watched how these sorry ideas play out in the real world, and it is not pretty: They make people’s lives worse, and yet simultaneously convince them that any reform will kill them — a fatal combination. Americans should avoid this path sedulously, for that way lies decline…

And yet, he has now won twice. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to elect such a man once may be regarded as a misfortune, but to elect him twice looks like carelessness. (Or, rather, criminal negligence.) This year, certainly, was not the perfect storm of 2008. Then, novelty and redemption played a role; this time, an insipid bore ran on an openly statist platform and won the day in a country that is supposed to be “center right.” Maybe it no longer is. In 1980, when faced with a set of policies that demonstrably hadn’t worked and a president who wanted to take America leftward, America chose a different path; in 2012, it doubled down. That says a lot about a people. The central problem, then, is not that Obama will be president for the next few years, but that the American people — knowing him — chose to reelect him. Even if this is put down to a failure of Romney’s turnout operation or Hurricane Sandy or Obama’s brilliant targeting, it does not say much for their commitment to classical liberalism that a significant group of Americans stayed away from the fight because they didn’t like Mitt Romney. That this was not a clear-cut repudiation of the president should sound the alarm.

***

Obama is taking us toward the European way at very the moment that model is collapsing. This may mean total decline, but it may also mean a painful process of cultural reconstitution.

The West was already headed for demographic-economic Armageddon. Even a Romney victory wouldn’t have changed that. The real test will be what happens when the crisis truly hits, sometime in the next decade. Fighting for conservative/classically-liberal solutions until that moment will make all the difference in how America weathers the storm. The Western welfare state as currently constituted cannot survive. It will shortly move from inevitable to impossible.

***

Thinking about the present day, if conservatives are right and what Walter Russell Mead has called the “blue state model” is indeed collapsing, then the GOP might not be that far away from another moment. At the least, the fact that it did not come in 2012 does not mean it is not coming.

And conservatives should be ready for it. For starters, they should ignore the triumphalists on the left espousing a permanent shift leftward. Nonsense! Yes, conservatives must do a better job of reaching out to Hispanics, but some perspective is necessary. The incumbent president is set to take in millions of fewer votes than he won in 2008. He limped across the finish line by dint of vicious demagoguery, which lowered turnout among white voters who have voted Republican in the past. Put simply, the GOP is still very much in this ballgame.

***

Now we need a majority in Congress to listen – and they should start by making sure taxes don’t go up on the 98% of Americans making under $250,000 a year starting January 1. This is something we all agree on. Even as we negotiate a broader deficit reduction package, Congress should extend middle-class tax cuts right now. It’s a step that would give millions of families and 97% of small businesses the peace of mind that will lead to new jobs and faster growth. There’s no reason to wait.

We know there will be differences and disagreements in the months to come. That’s part of what makes our political system work. But on Tuesday, you said loud and clear that you won’t tolerate dysfunction, or politicians who see compromise as a dirty word.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

It is Sunday afternoon here on my tiny island in the Pacific and rainy at that so chasing threads and working on my 1/48 scale F4F is about the extent of my day today. Cigar later this evening, have been doing that since Iraq in 05, I was near Abraham’s oasis. The kids I had with me asked me what it was like in 91 I had to tell them we weren’t allowed to get that far, of course most were still in grade school watching it on CNN when we went in 91, being the old guy in 05 and the older guy now does tend to get a bit old. One word, I can’t get promoted and can’t get demoted, well unless I commit a felon, that ain’t happening, btw, there is a bursting bomb in the middle of my chevron, I know you’ll figure it out.

MarshFox on November 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Great ideas!

Can do the most of it, we have to unite as one entity and pursue it to the end…

As one, we choose someone and let loose on them.

We would need a website?

Make it No. 1 on google search so everyone can see it!

Like it…

One stop ‘shop’ for all the news…

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

oh wow 1st on 6?

Is this an omen?

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Get over here !! :-) I am all alone….

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

How am I not “in the real world”? I’m the only one here who accurately called the 2012 election several months in advance back during the primaries. If I’m so out of touch then how come I’m the only one here who was proven right?

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

It is called Breitbart.com. If they are not covering what you think they should be covering, volunteer or suggest. Cover your local politicians. Expose their incompetence. Report their party affiliation.

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hey bazil!! Missed you on 5… good to see you :-)

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

You and OFA minimum wager gumpyandpokey.

congrats…

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM

YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE BOOR.

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Communist!

Solaratov on November 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Before I go full-out KMAGYOYO, just wanted to say Happy 237th Birthday to our Marines. Semper Fi, y’all, Semper Fi! Our nation thanks you for all you do and have done. If only the rest of your countrymen would live by your example and your prayer …

The Marines’ Prayer

Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose in deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold. If I am inclined to doubt; steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. Amen.

With that, KMAGYOYO, until tomorrow.

TXUS on November 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

True so true…

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

‘Nite TXUS!! Thanks for the reminder…

Semper Fi!!

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Good night all, fight the good fight!

We shall live to win another day :-)

God Bless America!!

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Well, along with gumby, of course.

You both must be so proud of yourselves.

Solaratov on November 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

“Awe, man, not pregnant again :( “

cptacek on November 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Wow, the Obama times are sure interesting :)

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

On the other hand, that is disgusting and I’ve bleaching my brain and keyboard even as I type.

I just want America back, not the abomination that it will be or already is under this regime.
sigh
Give them everything that they want. They are obviously going to get it anyway.
And let it burn.

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM

TXUS on November 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Thanks and Semper Fi from me as well.

And now I bid all of you good people a good night, and we’ll talk again tomorrow.

PatriotGal2257 on November 11, 2012 at 12:55 AM

The Marines’ Prayer

With that, KMAGYOYO, until tomorrow.

TXUS on November 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I’ve been watching No Reservations on netflix…Tonight I watched the Beirut episode from season 2. If you have time and netflix, watch it. The last 6 or so minutes left coaster leftist Anthony Bourdain gives a heartfelt thank you to Marines. I say this not to give Tony a break for acknowledging something all conservatives take for granted, but as a hearty OORAH! for our Marines.

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Oh well.
Have to get up early to go to work.
There are moochers to support after all.

Good night.

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Time to call it a night.

Happy Birthday to all Marines – present and past. Y’all do good work.

Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children.

Heh, heh, heh.

Solaratov on November 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

MarshFox on November 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Heh, you make sure that you don’t commit a felony. You commit all the felons that there are :)

You stay safe and out of trouble. You’ve seen/done enough.

Best to you and your wife.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM

TXUS on November 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

A Toast!

To Tun Tavern!

(clink)

novaculus on November 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I just checked the popular vote total again. A-hole’s only got 50.5% of the vote right now. That kind of number doesn’t indicate any kind of electoral realignment to me. I’m not going to panic.

Mark1971 on November 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Jeepers, someone actually read that.
Yes, Scrumpy, that would actually totally work.
Someone would have to be dedicated and have the energy to pull it off.
But I’m certain that it would work.

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Mark1971 on November 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I’m not worried about electoral realignment either. Yet.

I am worried about how much damage the ********** will do to the country in the next four years.

novaculus on November 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I find it interesting that you never say what Johnson’s views are and make a compelling argument as to why he the “answer”. You sound like an Obama cultist but just of the Paul/Johnson stripe. Oh, I can agree the R’s suck too..but it doesn’t mean Johnson is the answer. You dance in a clever circle. It might help if you explain why he is the candidate to support and reasons..but not surprising..you just repeat at nausea that our choices suck so vote Johnson or Paul! It will be utopia! I know his views..he sucks just as much. Just because what we have sucks doesnt mean he is the answer to shite..I aint into open borders and amnesty. You care about fiscal policy? Open borders and illegals is a 180 degrees of that. Makes no sense at all. But it doesn’t have to for you.
I work in an industry that all of this impacts..so yeah I am in the real world. And to Akin and the BS here defended..looooose. Bury your head in the sand. I dont care anymore. What, you were right because Mitt lost? Where was the landslide victory of Johnson? No..your not in reality if you think that was even ever gonna happen. I guess I was proven right and many here. Hold on to that Johnson tight bro-aint ever gonna happen. But it makes you feel good so have at it.

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Thank you to all who have served and all who still serve.

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I’ve noticed the same thing with Romney supporters. It was always about how bad Obama was, rather than about why Romney was a good choice.

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

OMG, I was over at the Parker headline thread and bluegill/cdseven is screetching about Palin again.

What a fluffin nutter. I guess since Mitt lost the bread ball is trying to figure out how to blame it on the object that it hates so intensely.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

OK, maybe it’s not as disgusting as I thought, Scrumpy.
After all, you seem like a good egg, so maybe it is righteous.

Here, let me float it again, and see how I feel:

Beat them at their own game.

Obama has made class warfare acceptable and has planted the seeds in the minds of his disciples.
And his spiritual mentor, the reprobate Alinsky, laid out the rules and techniques of engagement.

Rule #4.“Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.”
Rule #12.“Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

1.Destroy the mainstream media.
Target one CEO and one news anchor. Investigate them. Publicize their wealth and excesses across the internet and at every opportunity elsewhere. Demonize them for it. Organize protests at their home and studio. Isolate them from their peers by making them a pariah of wealth and excess. Ruin them. Others of their ilk will get the message.

2.Destroy the leftist Hollywood elite.
Pick the most egregious hypocrite with wealth and lavish lifestyles. Publicize it for all to see. Demonize them for the very thing that they wish to demonize. Boycott their films. No one will boycott all films, but many will boycott one particular hypocrite’s films. Ruin them. The others will get the message.

3.Destroy a business that supports leftist causes and leftist politicians in the same manner.
See above. Ruin them and the others will see the light.

4.Destroy a leftist politician in the same fashion. Then destroy another one. The others will catch on.

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

It was the ham sammich argument. A ham sammich was supposed to be able to beat Obama.

The GOP must be like a baloney sammich or sumpin.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Hi Scrumpy. :)

Basically, I said I was done here and pretty much am. Had to address floating rock..well-ya know- for old time sake.

What I did feel bad about and came here tonight for was to say-I met many good people here and didnt say any goodbyes. Many great people here
that made me laugh,smile, learn, and hold on.
May God bless all of you and keep you well.

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Evening B9. Was hoping I could rib you about peeing on your liberal neighbor’s palm tree Tuesday but I guess we’re the ones who got a shower. Rough times ahead. I’m worried but not rolling over.

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Good evening..:)

PS..FR is a kook..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Let it burn.
Forty7 % solution…
Lanceman on November 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Light the torch.

jawkneemusic on November 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

The GOP must be like a baloney sammich or sumpin.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

They are keeping the baloney sandwich (Jeb Bush) in reserve for 2016.

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Hi Dire, Hope you are doing fine. My gut is getting better and my black eye is fading.

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Hmmm. Maybe. I know it would work if done big and done right.
I’ll have to sleep on it.
I’ll hum this to myself as I weep myself to sleep:

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that’s free.
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer:

God bless america, land that I love,
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam,
God bless america,
My home sweet home.

– irving berlin

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Well..look me up in the vault.
I said I was voting against 0-nothing more.
I voted for much I wasn’t pleased with and came together to support the Nom.
Not doing it again.

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I said I was voting against 0-nothing more.
I voted for much I wasn’t pleased with and came together to support the Nom.
Not doing it again.

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I think you are not going to be alone in that. A lot of people are disgusted by what’s going on with both sides. For some it was 2008 and for others it was this year.

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

OMG, I was over at the Parker headline thread and bluegill/cdseven is screeching about Palin again.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I just don’t think you realize what a treasure she is to our HA family. She just wants to gloss over her Palin hate and Mitt missteps. Kind of special.

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM

PS..FR is a kook..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

You used to be more civil.

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM

And while God is blessing what was once a great nation, I better go ahead and place that order that I forgot to put in today to Cheaper than Dirt for 5 boxes of Federal 230 grain JHP .45 and 5 boxes of Corbon DPX +P JHP in 9mm.

Good night all.

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM

the institutional left is a monster problem.

here’s rule 1

RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood.

the problem going forward is that if we can win in 16 then we have to unwind things…like the shale oil stuff…and hundreds of other items.

for each of these, the left will shriek and be amplified by the leftist media…the media itself will try to destroy and deligitimize whoever the R candidate/prezy is.

the left, having gained much ground, will not cede it.

it depends on how willing the Rs are to fight on the media’s turf, in their faces, to their audience…it comes down to that. One reason the right has such problems i think is that they are afraid…and not confident. They will be personally vilified and investigated. That is the price they will pay….those are the terms of the deal, be it rubio or whoever

r keller on November 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Mark1971 on November 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

This set of maps puts things in perspective, especially the one that’s morphed for relative population.

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

You used to be more civil.

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I still am..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I still am..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

No you’re not, as quoted above.

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Can’t we all just get along?

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Here, let me float it again, and see how I feel:

Beat them at their own game.

… Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

1.Destroy the mainstream media.

2.Destroy the leftist Hollywood elite.

See above. Ruin them and the others will see the light.

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

justltl on November 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

This actually would be a great strategy, except for a few problems: (1) the media will “report” things so that the important elements (the …) are omitted or misstated and the “attackers” are demonized; (2) the police and DA’s will suddenly discover laws against “harassment” and “assault” and “slander” that were curiously overlooked during any Democrat (leftist, Union, OWS) attacks; (3) the people on the right are generally and genuinely uncomfortable with such tactics (cf. Tea Party rallies compared to OWS, for instance).
But I like your style!

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Call them as I see them..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Can’t we all just get along?

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

If three conservatives get together we’ll end up in a fistfight in the parking lot over whether to have mushrooms or pepperoni on the pizza.

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Dire..hello and I know.

FR- you use to be civil and not so whacked. Now your just another talking point handle-that repeats itself. Old. You don’t sway anyone or change anything..in fact you hurt whatever cause your trying to accomplish. But have at it. If it makes you feel good..by all means keep repeating the same thing day after day.

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

r keller on November 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The consequences of political activism seem so one-sided: Ds can do anything they want no matter how unlawful or violent; Rs can’t get away with anything (historically, of course, that’s flopped back and forth with the control of the police power; but the functionally-monolithic media is kind of new in America).

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Also only saw one person even remotely call it out as something wrong.

Boomer_Sooner on November 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

You know what, a$$hole? It was already gone by the time I got here tonight, and I would not have known what it said except for the fact that you have re-posted it at least four times, and I’m only on page three. I think you should be banned for doing that. You are not outraged by it, you are trying to use it to smear this site. Once again, a$$hole.

Night Owl on November 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

We have survived far worse socialists than Obama like FDR and LBJ… Obama may be the worst President in term of socialist rhetoric but his incompetence has prevented him being anywhere as effective in term of destructive socialism like FDR and LBJ… We have survived two world wars… We have survived much worse than Obama and we have not only survived but we prospered…
mnjg on November 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Some differences between then and now. Back then the government didn’t have all the technology to spy on its citizens like they do now. Back then there was no internet to which unwitting people put out all the specifics and identifiers for the world(and the watchers) to see. Back then people were not so attached to their electronic conveniences-mainly because most did not exist yet-that allow other people to influence them through decades of mental conditioning in television shows, and now internet.

Not saying that we can’t survive this. But we have to factor in those new realities to better combat and reverse the socialistic mindset and manipulation.

Sterling Holobyte on November 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Call them as I see them..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Well if that’s the definition of “civil” then you’re a simple-minded jerk who doesn’t seem to know what :) means, or else you must think that being a jerk is funny. How’s that for civil?

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

FWIW, the Mormons are kind of glad to be out of the spot-light for awhile, since anything Romney did as president would be vilified by the left, especially the policies that necessitated a diminution of the welfare payouts, and everything would then be tied to the LDS Church somehow whether there was any rational connection or not (cf. the reaction to Prop. 8 in CA).

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Whatever..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

sharrukin on November 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

lolz..Very good point..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Arnold..you go to the forest?

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Whatever..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Jerk :)

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day…after day……………………..

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2012 at 1:51 AM

FloatingRock on November 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I’ll take that as a badge of honor..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Why don’t you guys get a room.

LegendHasIt on November 11, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Arnold..you go to the forest?

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I do, but it doesn’t work when I try to post. B-1 knows how to contact me.

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I am most worried about SCOTUS nominations. He could have up to 3 more before 2016, permanently losing America to an activist court of loons.

karenhasfreedom on November 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I do, but it doesn’t work when I try to post. B-1 knows how to contact me.

arnold ziffel on November 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Easy fix to that..your just logging on wrong.
4Grace had the same issue at 1st.
Good to know-I thought you did. B2 is a member but haven’t been in a little while.
Wanted to tie up some loose ends tonight here with some friends.
Your one. :)
I hope to see you around buddy.

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM

bazil9 on November 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Hey! I’ve missed you.

L.I.BKerosene

MontanaMmmm on November 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM

MontanaMmmm on November 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Good evening..:)

PS..Hang in there..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Something fishy about the rush to declare amnesty won, God based faith lost, and the Tea Party not just dead but a cancer in the GOP

From Politico updated 10:20 PM ET,
Obama 61,811,225 Romney 58,580,193
Obama won 51.341886346 percent of the total

Not a landslide. I lined up the states from the politico map, DEM on the left, GOP on the right
Wash mt
CT GA
RI W VA
NJ NC
DEL SC
MD Alaska
DC
Gee, each got half the states. Obama got the electoral, the winner take all in the big blues, and key precincts were obviously gamed in tipover states. DEMs have the dead voter advantage and still the Right got 50 percent

Obama had to give motor voter amnesty to a million Dreamers, killed most voter ID law, had the MSM campaigning openly yet still got only 51.342 percent. Conservatives are feared deeply or they wouldn’t be writing essays on how the GOP can purge the Tea Party

Crash gotta come, considering Boehner but I have at least 50 percent and my side is more ornery

wolverinefan on November 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I saw the same reaction the day after, and a friend in retail said she never saw such a reaction either. This is good not bad. The dog is dangerous when he stops barking

entagor on November 11, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Hey is B9 leaving for a while? Why did B9 say goodbye like that?

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Trying to.

I’ve been so awol lately, looks like I missed some sort of bugging out option ie. (forest) that arnold and b9 are speaking of I know I am no long timer, but if I’m getting the just of it? I feel even sadder…………………………………..:(

MontanaMmmm on November 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM

MontanaMmmm on November 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Something occurred to me in the last few days, thinking about all of the words written on conservatives’ need to “reach out to hispanics.”

If we have to reach out to secure votes for personal responsibility, smaller government, and free market capitalism, aren’t we already done?

In other words, you either believe in these things, or you don’t. Do the religious need to reach out to atheists? Seems to me that it’s the other way around.

Free stuff isn’t really free, and no amount of “targeted ads” is going to convince the ignorant of that fact.

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Hi BMore.

Your abbreviation is B+

since + means more.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Hey is B9 leaving for a while? Why did B9 say goodbye like that?

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I’d hate to see her go. Personally, the same notion has crossed my mind–to stop reading blogs and news.

I think that, if you’re going to get hit in the nogin by a 2×4, perhaps it would hurt slightly less if you didn’t see it coming?

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Axe on November 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Who, me?

Who is John Galt on November 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Burn it to the ground.

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM

How about…

Lol–Try to guess before clicking.

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

i’ve seen these ‘morphed’ maps before…however, what struck me this time is in the map that is proportional to the county percent vote.

what leaps out is the purist of pure blue blobs…nyd, wdc, la, sanfran, detroit, and so on. Pure blue. so literally, people in these, areas like brian williams do not know any conservatives

now this makes sense…large cities have always had patronage machines…and i would guess that most people that go to cities are from small towns (at least somewhere in their lineage)

cities represent ambition, money, fun, excitment, power etc. (think brian williams) these people’s whole world view comes from their experience in hating the small towns..and loving the glory of nyc, dc, etc. And they demand services…transportation, etc.

they don’t want to be left alone…they could have done that in that wretched small town they came from

r keller on November 11, 2012 at 2:22 AM

The GOP must be like a baloney sammich or sumpin.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Not just a ham sandwich, but the “perfect” ham sandwich. Even a “perfect” ham sandwich is still just a ham sandwich. Yeah, the GOP will push some baloney on us next time, for sure. I say we try something a little spicier, like pastrami.

Dongemaharu on November 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM

oh, and the other thing that struck me was that there are hardly any intense red blobs (maybe somewhere in the WY, ID area)

so the rest of us don’t have to go far to talk to a lib. But paulene kael was right….you might be able to smell one in the big cities

r keller on November 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Good Night Dire.

I’ve been trying to come back to say goodbye myself all week but just couln’t bring myself to do it. I really wanted to keep in touch with just the QOTD people I knew. I will not suffer trolls.

Bmore, 4Grace, B9, Arnold if you see this thanks for the Chit chat’s n such… oh s now I’m off…floodgates. I’ll just say good bye for now.

MontanaMmmm on November 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Cliff…sounds good.

Who is John Galt on November 11, 2012 at 2:28 AM

RedCrow,

I was thinking of staying off blogs too. Too much analysis misinformation and the feeling it’s just a game with no meaning.

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I haven’t read very much of this thread.
What the hell is going on?

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:34 AM

RedCrow,

SparkPlug on November 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM

…ditto that!…can’t watch Morris, Rove etc. for one minute since tuesday…feel like I was kicked in the gut and the head!…but where do you go to get the real skinny on things?
The links people supply here help me!…it’s that or the MSM politburo?

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Can Hot Air please use a different photo in place of obama? I am so sick of his ugly mug. A horses hind end would work and would be much more palatable.

Happy Veterans Day to all the veterans!!!

Russ86 on November 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Lol–Try to guess before clicking.

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I lost :(

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM

How does losing an election 51% to 49% panic people?

It couldn’t get any closer.

And the corruption and fraud probably reduce it to a virtual tie that we’ll never know the truth about.

The country is split 50/50. It’s up for grabs to whoever fights the hardest… and dirtiest.

That’s the new normal.

Decency and honesty and standing for your values means less than smearing your opponent more effectively with synthesized crap that enough registered halfwits smugly buy into.

Consider it the “Coast To Coast with George Norry”/American Idol/The View factor.

You have to throw raw meat to the morons.

Obama and his Slime Team were chumming for a year …and a sufficient amount of their faux tripe stuck to Romney to tip the electoral balance.

(And imbeciles like Akin and the other rape-nattering Republican did their part to aid the scare tactic meme.)

profitsbeard on November 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2012 at 2:36 AM

And my feeling after Tuesday was that we either have an electorate that guarantees a “hard crash”, or such a “gamed” election system that…guarantees a “hard crash”.

Wouldn’t obliviousness “feel” better?

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Post what your guess was, if you like. :)

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM

profitsbeard on November 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I fear we’ve become the most sophisticated Banana Republic the world has ever seen.

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM

How about surging conservative or church groups into Coney Island? People over there are scrounging for food, a little helpful outreach might just do something.

Bishop on November 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Because that’s the right thing to do.

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Post what your guess was, if you like. :)

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM

How about…

Lol–Try to guess before clicking.

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM

This :P

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM

In other words, you either believe in these things, or you don’t.

RedCrow on November 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Think “teaching out” instead of “reaching out”; the level of ignorance among the general public regarding American history, form of government, and the values (bolded in your comment) is immense.

How can they believe in something they know nothing about?

AesopFan on November 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM

…seems like a lot of people leaving because of the trolls too.
They would distract you from the pertinent discussions…that YOU USED to have…(you have to have discussions on changing the outlook of almost half the people in the country…not the 10 or 20 azzholes that disrupted things here)… and instead of ignoring them- so they would go away- engaged them…to no avail…except wasting the thread and the good ideas of people who leave frustrated by wasting their time in some kind of romper room.
If people stay…they need to trollcott these people who come to disrupt.

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Get abortion out of the Republican platform. Now.

rickyricardo on November 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM