Why not Rubio for RNC chair?

posted at 2:41 pm on November 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Matt Lewis notes that the coming Republican debate over the loss to Barack Obama on Tuesday might end up costing RNC chair Reince Priebus his job.  Priebus turned around a profoundly derailed fundraising machine and put the GOP in position to battle Democrats this year, but only succeeded at maintaining the House majority.  Priebus didn’t help his own cause by issuing triumphal announcements about GOTV efforts before the election that became “a complete and utter embarrassment,” as Matt says, but his success in righting the ship after the Michael Steele term can’t be ignored, either.

It’s a choice between management and leadership, as Matt sees it:

Ultimately, it probably comes down to this: If you believe the RNC post requires a competent administrator, you’re probably still for Priebus. But if you believe that the GOP is in need of a makeover — and that a party absent a de facto leader demands someone with gravitas — then you might want to beg a Jeb Bush or a Haley Barbour to step in.

I have a suggestion that may make more sense, especially if the GOP wants to look to the future.  There seems to be broad agreement that we need to get the next generation of Republican leaders engaged as soon as possible, and few if any of them have the talent and skill of Marco Rubio, especially at the kind of communication and outreach he can deliver.  If the RNC wants to make a change at the top, they have an opportunity to get a big head start on the kind of transformation needed in the Republican approach.

While Rubio is busy being a Senator, he’s still in the minority, where he will have little ability to make an impact on legislation.  Many people think Rubio lacks a track record of executive experience; a two-year term running the RNC will at least give him an immediate opportunity to add significant executive experience to his resumé ahead of a possible presidential run in 2016.  It also gives Rubio even more of a platform to drive the Republican message and brand among voters who haven’t been inclined to listen to the GOP.  That would give us a chance to see what kind of executive Rubio makes — and enough time to look for other prospects if he doesn’t perform to expectations.

Rubio turned down an opportunity to run the NRSC, but the RNC chair would be better suited to his future anyway.  He’s also more a part of the GOP’s future than Jeb Bush and Haley Barbour.  This could be a big opportunity to immediately work on the apparent weaknesses of the GOP, rather than fall back to the establishment of the present and the past.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

People are trying to educate it, but, as with most liberals, math is hard and it’s not listening.

AZfederalist on November 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

One district also had 108% of eligible voters registered.
Population boom?
It’s really a swell neighborhood?

I’m almost more alarmed that I haven’t seen hardly anything on this–not even articles debunking/criticizing it.

I’m not a media professional, but it seems like an interesting story to look into.

RedCrow on November 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

WTH did Rubio ever do to obtain this god-like status in GOP circles? Good grief

gatorboy on November 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

They’re lusting after his skin color.

p0s3r on November 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Romney won young white voters
posted at 12:01 pm on November 9, 2012 by Guy Benson

Green Room Silver Lining Hope.

FlaMurph on November 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

WTH did Rubio ever do to obtain this god-like status in GOP circles? Good grief

gatorboy on November 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

C’mon- He defeated Ocommie hugging Charlie Crist….remember ?
That was worth something in 2010.

and yet, it seems so long ago ………….

FlaMurph on November 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Does not matter to me . Will never vote for a GOP candidate again. If a conservative is not running I am not voting . They lost the last election because they shunned the base and I am joining their ranks. Get serious or get out .

DeweyWins on November 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Terrible idea.

Democrats will be gunning for Rubio as they and many Republicans see him as the 2016 candidate. By putting him out front as the face of the Republican party, he will get branded with any problems that come up. The MSM would have more opportunity to tar and feather him.

hepcat on November 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

DeweyWins on November 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’ve whored my vote out for the last time. I voted for that imbecile, Dubya, and then for that buffoon, McCain, and then for the “grandfather of Obamacare,” simply because of the Commies on the other side. Shit – I didn’t vote FOR them, I voted AGAINST the Commies.

No more. I’m through with having to inject my ballot with penicillin, before I submit it. I’m tired of shitty, infected Republicans.

I’m tired of whoring my vote. I’m just fu$%ing tired.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM

DeweyWins on November 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’m tired of whoring my vote. I’m just fu$%ing tired.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM

The conservatives who cling to the Republican Party need to get a clue.

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

If Mitt Romney really believes in America–and I think he does–he will get together with Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Dennis Miller, et al. and hammer out a solidly conservative platform for a third party.

They could have it done in time for the 2014 House and Senate races; most certainly they can do it by 2016.

Mr. Romney, are you truly conservative? If you would do this, thereby making it clear that you have committed yourself to solidly conservative ideology, I would vote for you again. If you cannot, then stand down and support the person who would lead such a party.

It is time for a third party. A party that has as its leaders strong people who will not capitulate to the leftists whose goal is to destroy America.

Leaders without egos; who can withstand the assault of a media who will attempt to crucify their reputations.

Leaders who will stand up to a ideologically corrupt Supreme Court; passing laws over and over again until the SC understands that the people want a moral society built upon the rule of law: the Constitution of the United State as the framers intended it, not some postmodern fantasia of shifting “fairness.”

Leaders who care not one whit about a body of nations infiltrated by third world dictators and Godless superpowers that think they can dictate to the sovereign United States of America and its citizens how to conduct our affairs.

Where are you leaders who can lead from the front? Who can make America what she needs to be, for her citizens and for the world.

(Faux libertarians need not apply.)

davidk on November 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I would add: Leaders who support and enforce the Tenth Amendment: http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/

davidk on November 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The conservatives who cling to the Republican Party need to get a clue.

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I think that “Conservatives” have been relegated to the trash heap of history.

I think that America is lost. She’s nothing but another Socialist shithole, full of parasites – on their knees and with their hands held out.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Rubio = Mr. Electable II?

There again, the well does seem to be running pretty damn dry.

The Dems on the other hand, have probably already picked their new Leftist prodigy and are grooming him/her for public office…someone we’re not even aware of yet.

At least that’s how they did it with Slick Willy and Dear Leader.

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Rubio should stay in the Senate. Palin might be a good RNC chair. :)

alwaysfiredup on November 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I think that “Conservatives” have been relegated to the trash heap of history.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

That’s why I’ve gone Galt.

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

That’s why I’ve gone Galt.

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

If you find somewhere else to go, let me know. I’ve given up on this country.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Sorry, Hotairheads. Figurehead politics and racial tokenism won’t work with Hispanics either. No one is buying what you’re selling.

I love how you sit around mourning “your” country. It is not yours, and never will be.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

But when Obama does it with any given special interest group, that’s okay.

Lawrence on November 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

You’re dead-on. It’s not our country. It’s the country of the parasites – and the political pigs in perpetuity, who’ve shaken the hands of their friends across the aisles – and who’ve driven this country into the ground.

They are all the same pig. And it’s their country, and has been since the demise of the citizen-legislator.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I felt that Reince Preibus did a fine job as Chairman. He picked up the pieces after Michael Steele left the organization and the treasury in disarry. The role of the RNC is to raise money. The Chairman doesn’t pick candidates. Marco Rubio probably has a solid future in the Senate. To date, he has no legislative achievements to his name, and has no executive experience (for example as a County Administrator or as a Governor). As a separate note, the fact that he is Hispanic should not be taken as an indication that he would be accepted as a spokesperson for Hispanics. In general, Hispances are of Mexican descent, and probably prefer someone of similar lineage. I don’t think of Mr. Rubio either for RNC Chairman or as a Presidential candidate.

Rugged Terrain on November 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Rubio should stay in the Senate. Palin might be a good RNC chair. :)

alwaysfiredup on November 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Rubio is better off staying in the Senate.

I hadn’t thought of Palin for RNC chair but that’s not a bad idea.

Lawrence on November 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

If you find somewhere else to go, let me know. I’ve given up on this country.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

There’s a lot of cheap desert land in the southwest.

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

No, Why not Rubio for Senate Minority Leader?

Fleuries on November 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

As already shown in this thread, many cons will sit the election out again instead of voting for rubio because of his immigration stance. the dems will keep voting progressives in, and cons will keep sitting out. usa is dead.

Jack_Burton on November 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

If you find somewhere else to go, let me know. I’ve given up on this country.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’m strongly considering it.

DFCtomm on November 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’ve said for a while that the left has won, but what you really need to consider right now is how, exactly, you’ll lead. The mob(democracy) is fickle and will turn on you in a moment.

DFCtomm on November 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Ed Morrissey’s desperate flailing for a-not-white-guy is pathetic.

It’s going around the internets right now. Calm down.

And, Palin is great. If you want to lose Mondale-style. Why is it so hard for some people to learn that some people are poison?

When someone is that divisive in their own party, how the hell are they supposed to get other people’s votes?

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I’ve said for a while that the left has won

It’s temporary.

That’s politics.

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Lol, people who got less votes than Palin are complaining about Palin now? lol. You losers sure have some gall.

promachus on November 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Says the Romney sock-puppet…LOL

idesign on November 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Oh.. God Lord. Why don’t we just cancel the primaries and nominate Rubio now? Seriously, giving the power of the RNC will give Rubio a huge and unfair advantage. He’ll be able to fashion everything to his liking. What Rubio needs to do is get accomplishments in the Senate and come up with a governing philosophy.

Illinidiva on November 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Oh, shut the f*** UP already. If anyone should know about Mondale-style losses and electoral poison, it’s squishes like you who sat around pimping some unelectable squish who couldnb’t even inspire his co-religionists to get off their asses and vote for him.

ddrintn on November 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Rubio would be good at the job, but I’m worried that the left would be able to spin that against him if he’s our guy in 2016. Leading a party shows that he only cares about one party, yadda yadda yadda.

Mr. Prodigy on November 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Ed Morrissey’s desperate flailing for a-not-white-guy is pathetic.

It’s going around the internets right now. Calm down.

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Rubio looks pretty white to me.

Dante on November 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

The same people who gave us Romney now want to give us the short Pillsbury Doughboy.

Rubio better hurry up because in two years the hair will be disappearing.

Nothing like a short bald Pillsbury Doughboy.

oldyeller on November 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

The only ones that that think Palin is divisive are the RINOs in the party.

Palin record speaks for itself and that is why you run your mouth when it’s Palin.

oldyeller on November 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Moesart on November 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Very true. Nice to see some sense posted here. A good portion of conservatives, let alone the rest of the country, doesn’t take Sarah Palin seriously. She communicates at a third grade level and is best known for quitting half-way through her first term as governor. Almost anyone would be better than Palin, who hides from tv interview opportunities outside her FNC comfort zone. Heck, I have seen her struggle to speak and articulate views on Hannity, where she is served one softball after another.

For the spokesperson role of the job, I want someone with Sununu’s fighting spirit and effective debating combat skills combined with Rubio’s likability.

bluegill on November 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Rubio should stay in the Senate. Palin might be a good RNC chair. :)
alwaysfiredup on November 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

But that would require Palin putting in the long hours and dealing with hostile media in countless tv appearances, and Sarah has already proven that when the going gets tough, she calls it quits. And when Palin can’t even name a newspaper she reads, name a single founding father without struggling, or name a Supreme Court case she believes was wrongly decided, I think it is clear that we shouldn’t make her the public face of the Republican Party or conservatism. We can do much better than her.

bluegill on November 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Bluegill, she didn’t quit because the going got tough. She quit because her enemies were abusing a system to bankrupt her. Any fair minded individual can understand why she had to quit. The treatment she gets as a result of that is utterly absurd.

However, we might be able to do better than her. How that person will be able to do better than the current guy is another question.

Quartermaster on November 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Why?
Reince did such a great job! I hear Micheal Steele might be available….oh, wait. Tried that trick already.How about Rush…he is supposed to be the smartest man on the planet?

greataunty on November 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM