Video: Utah coal mine lays off 102 workers over Obama “war on coal”

posted at 11:21 am on November 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

In January 2008, Barack Obama promised that his energy and regulatory policies would “necessarily bankrupt” coal plants. Consider this the next step towards fulfilling his campaign pledge. Over 100 coal miners in Utah got pink slips late yesterday, and the mine’s operator blamed Obama’s re-election and the bleak future for coal it portends:

The layoffs at the West Ridge Mine are effective immediately, according to UtahAmerican Energy Inc., a subsidiary of Murray Energy Corp. They were announced in a short statement made public Thursday, two days after Obama won re-election.

The layoffs are necessary because of the president’s “war on coal,” the statement said. The slogan is one used frequently during the election by Murray Energy CEO Robert Murray, who was an ardent supporter of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

In its statement, UtahAmerican Energy blames the Obama administration for instituting policies that will close down “204 American coal-fired power plants by 2014″ and for drastically reducing the market for coal.

“There is nowhere to sell our coal, and when we can, the market prices are far lower,” the statement said. “Without markets, there can be no coal mines and no coal jobs.”

It’s not just the regulatory policies in play here. The sudden discovery of vast amounts of natural gas and the relative ease in accessing it has made the cleaner fuel more cost-effective. That’s good news for both consumers and environmentalists … except that the latter wants to cut off access to natural gas as well. Hydraulic fracturing or “fracking” as it is commonly known, which has been in use for decades, has suddenly become the latest cause du jour. Obama’s EPA has tried to block fracking as much as it can, and we can expect the EPA to become bolder in this regard over the next four years.

We may well find ourselves in an energy decline within a short period of time if more coal operators choose to scale down or close altogether, while the Obama administration keeps attacking natural-gas extraction. Be prepared for energy bills to “skyrocket,” as Obama also promised during that same interview.

Update: The Boss Emeritus reminded us yesterday of her warning last week of massive layoffs in the event of an Obama win. The Blaze is keeping a list of post-election layoff notices as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I have been a lurker here at HA for many years but haven’t felt the need to comment until now.

In 2010, my husband lost his job due to his company packing up and moving most of operations to Mexico. He had been at that company for almost 10 years and we had a very good life in a community we loved.

He was lucky enough to find work in an industry directly related to the fracking of oil and gas, but it required a relocation two hours away.

Unfortunately, we could not sell our house for what we owed and lost it to the bank. It is now listed at less than half what we paid in 2003.

Now Obama’s EPA wants to regulate fracking even more and I feel sick to my stomach at what might be in the cards for us over the next four years.

I rant and rave on Facebook and get accused of being angry. Dam right I am angry. Obama’s policies have ruined our lives and while he goes on chasing his utopian dreams we are left to pick up the pieces.

All the idiots who voted for this can kiss my azz…

I 100% agree that we should let.it.burn.

WisconsinJewels on November 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

WELCOME! Your post is absolutely spot on.

ToddPA on November 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Agree, the messaging sucked. The partner said the other night that the Dems talk to the 47% like they are stupid. The Repubs spoke to them like they could add 2+2. It looks like the Republicans need to start talking to them like they are stupid too.

And it needs to be less than 1000 words. You’ve lost them by then.

Tenwheeler on November 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Yup. You cannot talk in abstract terms and give them big concepts. You have to talk to them like idiots. Axelrod realized that, and no one that worked for Romney did.

I just hope that Rubio’s people are competent. Because I know for a fact that I could have done better than the people that worked on Romney’s campaign. And if Rubio does not have good people, I am sick and tired of losing, and I am more than willing to help him win in 2016.

milcus on November 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

WisconsinJewels on November 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Welcome, even at this late hour.

Sorry for your travails.

Many more stories like this to come.

It means little, but there are those that care, and hope for the best.

Tenwheeler on November 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

milcus on November 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Domney’s people were competent, and more competent than most in how to run a successful business and turn this country around.

Unfortunately they weren’t bidding on a business contract.

They were trying to sell a pretty sophisticated idea to folks that were being sold an empty suit and resume and getting free condoms and cell phones from the bottom of a gutter.

Tenwheeler on November 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM

WisconsinJewels, my husband works overseas. We are not the only family I know in this situation. It is directly related to Obama’s policies and regulations.
We will make it through this mess because our financial situation is fine while there is overseas work. However, I shared the intense feelings of don’t come crying to me if you are an Obama voter. I have no sympathy, not even for family.
Let it burn is the only way.

ORconservative on November 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

The list of companies making big layoffs is large and growing.

This is PRECISELY what you obots voted for. Cause and Effect.

My company is laying off over 600. It is a travesty.

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Thanks for that link.

Is your company on that list (I understand if you don’t want to answer)?

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM

We have to adopt many of the left’s tactics, especially campaign-wise. They’re light years ahead, I’m sorry to say. They successfully sell the lie of conservative Americans that hate, want to take other’s rights away, and want poor people to die.

We don’t need to change what we believe in, we just need to change our TACTICS, and pronto.

spinach.chin on November 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

At least we can get high now and responsibly disconnect the way we feel inside from what’s happening outside.

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ToddPA on November 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Tenwheeler on November 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Thank you for the welcome and the kind words…

I know we will be okay whatever happens…

it’s just frustrating that people are so blind and/or stupid. The facts are right in front of them but they cannot or will not see them.

I told a liberal friend that I cannot see how anyone could vote for Obama and I asked her to explain it to me. Her answer? “Well, Romney is clearly a classy guy, but he was visibly uncomfortable talking about women, immigration and social issues.” Yeah, while the rest of us can’t scrape together two nickels to feed our kids, she votes against the one who could help because he can’t talk freely about women. Gah! I wanted to strangle her.

On a good note – my Governor is Scott Walker…

WisconsinJewels on November 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Hot Air, trying to convince itself that it cares about the working man …

Failing.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Explain how you and your party cares about the poor and middle class.

-Explain all those taxes that will reduce their pay.
-Explain all those regulations that will cost them jobs
-Explain all those regulations that will cause their energy prices to necessarily skyrocket and increase the cost of goods.
-Explain the policies that have cost real income to drop over 4 years
-Explain how the job participation rate is at or near its lowest in 30 years. That doesn’t even take into account the need for additional jobs for population growth.
-Explain the difference in the cost of gas in the last 4 years.
-Explain the stealth theft of any savings by QE1, QE2 and now QE3

Yep, you and your party really cares about the poor. Hypocrite.

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

And more…and this is just day 3.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

That isn’t even true. The Obama administration has been cracking down on California over their medical marijuana use even though the state passed a law like those two other western states did Tuesday. Get high on mj at your own risk.

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Have you been asleep the last four years? Their explanation is already built in.

They’ll just say “Greedy sore loser 1%ers sabotaging the system“.

It’s a short, simple rhetorical device that relieves them of the burden of having to consider the laws of cause and effect.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

They’ll just say “Greedy sore loser 1%ers sabotaging the system“.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

^^^ This.

They’ll always have a reason why it’s got nothing to do with their policies, Obama, etc. Always. And the MSM will help them find the reasons.

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

All the idiots who voted for this can kiss my azz…

I 100% agree that we should let.it.burn.

WisconsinJewels on November 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Don’t let them get close to you. Your azz is too refined for the rats, and they are not safe in proximity. Plus, they stink and are diseased, from what they dwell in.

Let it burn, indeed. Help them to suffer.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

No, not asleep. I have been called every name in the book and then some by the liberals. They need to be confronted with their cognitive dissonance at every occasion. They want to get in my face I’m going to get right back in theirs.

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

And more…and this is just day 3.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The photograph on that article says everything. The article itself is almost entirely redundant.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Who cares? Misery can’t be lifted with thin air and their baloney.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Ohio coal layoffs.

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

And more…and this is just day 3.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

That one is really going to hurt St. Louis. One of the things people don’t consider is the charitable giving of the companies and their employees. So as the left continues to destroy business, they bring real pain to people, especially middle class and the poor.

We wouldn’t have the zoo, history museum, science center, etc. etc. if it weren’t for the greedy capitalists and their companies donating money to these things.

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Sorry missed the sarc. I’m still pi**ed about the military absentee ballots that somehow didn’t make it back to precincts in those key states.

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Who cares? Misery can’t be lifted with thin air and their baloney.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM

True but the point is they’ll just lay the blame elsewhere and never learn, nor vote, accordingly.

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It’s not just lay-offs or closings Wait until companies join Darden and others and put everyone under 30 hours a week to avoid Obamacare requirements. Working 40 hours, getting over-time? Enjoy it while you can.

Deanna on November 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Welcome to Amerika, the land of the free stupid.

Schadenfreude on November 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

:) I’ve misunderstood half the people I’ve talked to/responded to the last few days. Must have something to do with shell-shock.

Some of the fraud stories bubbling up right now have been extraordinary.

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Beechcraft?

DanMan on November 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Worked at Raytheon in another division until I moved to Kansas, and then transferred to Raytheon Aircraft, who was then sold and became Hawker Beechcraft. Got laid off in 2009 after the SCOAMF started telling business leaders to not buy corporate jets any more. Now, Beechcraft is going bankrupt, and my pension from 7 years (5 of it with Raytheon, 2 with Beechcraft) is going away.

Thank goodness for my 401(k). Since losing my job and finding another one 50 miles away for $30,000 less than I was making, and the farm hemorrhaging money, I have been able to transfer the 401(k) to an IRA, and since our tax rate is way down, I can transfer it to a Roth IRA for no penalty and very little tax, which I can then take out the next year with no penalty or tax to help buy land. I’ve transferred about $50,000 out early so far over the past few years, and am getting ready to transfer another $25,000 to the Roth IRA before the end of the year.

I would rather have the extra $30,000 a year in salary.

cptacek on November 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

chemman on November 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Most of us have just been called “racist” a lot.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Dear editorial board of The Salt Lake Tribune:
You got what you wished for, I guess.

KS Rex on November 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I have compassion on those who lost their jobs even if they voted for Obama out of ignorance, stupidity, bought the lie, or pure selfishness. I pray that God bless us all despite him.

elections have consequences, unforunately the coal districts are in districts carried overwhelmingly by Romney. Obama can decimate these area with impunity.

RedInMD on November 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM

when the entire country sees even higher gas prices, electrical bills (oh, that comes from coal?) maybe those blue counties will wake up, Or maybe they won’t when Obama offers them cost offset giveaways

I worked in the oil industry in New Orleans as a geologist
Obama’s policies have not only effected production, bottom lines for all companies, etc. But many small, mid and large independents size companies have laid off, moved and tightened operations or actually went under – and this was even before the BP oil spill.

Another Red State – who cares – issue

God help us.

audiotom on November 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hot Air, trying to convince itself that it cares about the working man …

Failing.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

The working man has suffered tremendously under the failure of what morons like you cling to. You are job and wage killers and refuse to see it.

Chuck Schick on November 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Ohio coal layoffs.

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Heart-breaking.

These guys are the ones who tried to save themselves and their families by voting for the right guy.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Hot Air, trying to convince itself that it cares about the working man …

Failing.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Yeah, because birth control, binders, Big Bird, tampons and all those other shiny distractions are caring about the “working man”.

Go away.

kim roy on November 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Cliff baby!!!
Here we GOOOOOOOO!!

TarheelBen on November 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Breaking news libs. Actions have consequences. This is just the tip of the iceberg. More and more companies will have to lay people off and go to part time. The new taxes to medical device makers. 0webama care. Expiring tax cuts. More regulation and mandates. And then liberals are just shocked when companies move overseas, layoff people or close. Yes I know it’s all the rich guys doing this to get back at Barry. Unlike the Feds they have to balance their budgets. This really is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of economic decline. You voted for it. Own it.

Minnfidel on November 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I feel awful for any conservative workers who lose their jobs.

I hope any of these men who voted for Obama………starve.

Elections have consequences, and the price for ignorance of this magnitude must be steep.

Hannibal on November 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hot Air, trying to convince itself that it cares about the working man …

Failing.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

The “working man” digs your skyrocketing energy prices;
Your job killing regulations;
Your weak dollar policy (QE1, QE2, QE3) that is killing the middle class.
Thanks!
And oh, we’re looking forward to Obamacare’s 21 new taxes that will hit the middle class as well.

TarheelBen on November 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Dave Rywall on November 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Not sure why. That’s the best part.

Glad it upset you too.

Chuck Schick on November 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I hope any of these men who voted for Obama………starve.

Hannibal on November 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Only after they watch their families suffer.

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM

This saddens me because it is in a Solidly Red State, and they voted against Obama.

I want Ohio to crumble into Detroit style Decay. I want Virginia and Florida to decline to the point of them begging.

They deserve this.

Let It burn.

portlandon on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I just want the inner cities to do so. Along with all of the media and academic institutions.

Sporty1946 on November 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The stupid always go first. They don’t have a clue on how to be self sufficient or independent thinkers.

kim roy on November 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Hotair conveniently omits that the a**hole had the gall to make everyone listen to his prayer first:
Dear Lord:

Dave Rywall on November 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM

If he’s paying for their time he could have them listening to polka music. You’re point is?

Wait. You don’t have a point. You just b!tch and moan and troll very very badly.

BTW, how are things up in conservative Canada under Conservative Party PM Stephen Harper? Apparently the economy is doing pretty good and unemployment not too shabby. I also heard they sold their oil to China and Harper’s been in India drumming up new trade partners since he can’t rely on the US anymore?

Is this true???

PS: Is it also true that the National Socialist Party… ooops sorry… NDP has been confined to Quebec?

kim roy on November 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ohio coal layoffs.

RedNewEnglander on November 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Heart-breaking.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM

meanwhile up in Cleveland and Philly ballot stuffing, absentee ballots, electronic machines that throw out every tenth Romney vote , and buses full of nursing home and out of state voters help justify our president’s superlative achievements

all for one person’s glorified asperations

people are in pain here

audiotom on November 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Forward…………..To the unemployment lines. Way to go dems! Maybe Blah Springsuck can sing Hometown to you to cheer you up. You idiots that voted for Owebama are too dumb to realize that all these taxes, fees and regulations are a ticking time bomb that is now starting to go off. It’s your mess now. Own it.

Minnfidel on November 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Hot Air, trying to convince itself that it cares about the working man …

Failing.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That would let you out…moocher.

Solaratov on November 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Dave Rywall on November 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Still upset about losing your job, drywall?

D@mn voters, anyway!

Now, worry about your own country instead of bothering us about ours.

Solaratov on November 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

They’ll just say “Greedy sore loser 1%ers sabotaging the system“.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

We will always be ‘the monsters’. We will always be the boogeyman that prevents the ‘Greater Success’. We will always be hated.

We will always be hated.

We need to understand that.

We will always be hated because that is their programming. They hate us.

They hate us. They hate us because they hate YOU. It is the individual they hate. It is the individual they hate because it is the FREEDOM that individual desires that gets in the way.

They hate you.

They don’t hate you because you’re one of them… the ‘racist republicans’ who secretly want to have slavery again. The republicans who want to starve the children and kick old people out of their homes. The ‘backroom dealers’ and the ‘closet fascists’. No, they don’t hate you because you’re anything contemptible. They hate you because you’re not one of them. You’re not on their side, and unless and until you are they will hate you.

They hate you.

They don’t want to discuss politics. There is no room for compromise. They don’t want to be ‘bipartisan’. They hate you. They think you’re lower than sh*t. Peasants whose only task is to shut up, work, pay taxes, and worship them for their wise rule. They have no good feelings for you. They will use you because they think you’re there to be used. They will exploit you for it because they think you were born in that lot and if you step out of line you will feel their wrath for it. They have no sympathy, no empathy, no love or kind feelings for you. They hate you.

And lastly.

They hate you.

There is no room for ‘you’ in their system. In this system, ‘you’ do what you’re told. There is no room for individuality. No ‘E Pluribus Unum’ to be had here. What once was ‘out of many, one’ is now twisted on it’s head. It’s all ‘Ex Uno Plures’: from one, many. All people are to be molded into the shape of the state. ‘You’ are now citizen 512-41-6415 and you had better behave like one. They do this because they want to, and they want to because They hate YOU.

They hate you.
They have always hated you.
They always will hate you.

And now they call you a monster for merely wanting to resist them.

Well… I’m willing to go full-on monster if it means saving my republic, securing the freedoms of myself and my family for the sake of future generations.

Are you?

Chaz706 on November 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

WisconsinJewels on November 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I had the same reaction from my sister, the lib. She went on and on about Romney having problems with women, and said how she ‘cried’ that Romney would talk about the 47% that way. And to make it worse she is a retired private practice psychiatrist who used to go on and on about Medicare failing to pay well enough for her services. And now she spouts the wonders of ObamaCare because it won’t be ‘single-payer’ like Canada. Baaah! She has now consigned my daughter (a pediatrician) to the wonders of ObamaCare and government-run health care, and reduced career expectations.

I’m so mad I could spit. Not sure if the family relations will survive this election.

mathgal60 on November 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

mathgal60 on November 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

They won’t. This was predicted. By whom you ask?

Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Matthew 10:34

This sword is not a sword of war but a sword of separation. This is the sword that draws a line in the sand an asks ‘Who will stand for this? Who will tolerate this? Who will abide by this?’

Your sister stands opposite of the side you’re own mathgal60. I’m really and truly sorry to say it but that is now the line of separation.

If it means anything to you… my family is also in a similar situation.

It seems if we truly love freedom… we must be prepared to make some major sacrifices. I leave you with a quote from H. L. Mencken:

The fact is that the average man’s love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. He is not actually happy when free; he is uncomfortable, a bit alarmed, and intolerably lonely. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

It’s going to be a long hard road for you because Your love of liberty (hopefully) isn’t 9/10 imaginary. Everyone who truly loves freedom will soon find themselves at war with things that they took for granted. It will be a time of trial, hardship, and sadly loss for all of us.

I would rather be alone than in bad company… and with this election and some people showing their true attitudes towards liberty… I have quite suddenly felt myself very much alone.

Just know this though… the same God that drew the line in the sand stands on the side of liberty.

Chaz706 on November 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Tenwheeler on November 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

___

PS: Almost all of that is gang on gang violence.

lester on July 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Math is hard. Chicago Police Department’s 2009 Annual Report

Murders, Causal factors, Gang related:
2008- 44.6%
2009- 34.3%

Lester’s “Almost all” = Significantly less than half.

rogerb on July 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM

like medial doctors- who in the broad majority describe birth control pills as an important component of women’s healthcare.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

From 1995 to 2002, the percentage of American women who said they received contraceptive services rose from 36 percent to 41 percent…

(Hint- “contraceptive services” =/= pill exclusively, so the pill is a percentage of that 41%.)

rogerb on August 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

When somebody takes a deduction from their taxes, that revenue has to be made up from other sources — you and I. Reducing your taxes by $11k is, from budget point of view, exactly the same as getting an $11k subsidy… This is Econ 101 stuff…

urban elitist on July 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Many of those profits have come from laying people off, cutting wages, eliminating pensions and other cost-cutting measures that are the direct result of greed

libfreeordie on September 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

OBAMA 2016!!/!

rogerb on November 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Next Oboobi will decree via EO that it will be illegal to shutdown or layoff workers. He will then request a new stimulus bill to finance the takeover (nationalization) of businesses to keep them running.

AH_C on November 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

OT: Petraeus Resigns — hmmm…

affenhauer on November 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

It really is the end.

txhsmom on November 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It really is the end.

txhsmom on November 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

linky no worky

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

linky no worky

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

That was my point. When the dailyjobscut site crashes it’s over! Laugh or cry.

txhsmom on November 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM

spinach.chin on November 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

What the left is good at is marketing. Not a surprise since they’re tight with Hollywood and that community is brilliant at selling sh-t to people with slick 2-minute trailers. Think about this campaign and what are the catchphrases you remember: “Romneysia”, “Big Bird”, “Binders”, “War on Women”. Aside from the propensity for alteration, the other common theme with these is that they’re easy to remember and they catch on quickly with the public. Obviously it’s pathetic campaigning from an incumbent President, but in terms of marketing to voters, it’s brilliant.

Whereas with the Romney campaign, aside from “you DID build that”, what did they ever really get traction with? And unfortunately even that was kind of preaching to the choir. Small business owners were very likely to be in the GOP camp from day one regardless. There were no catchy slogans or phrases that could permeate the public consciousness.

The last successful Republican candidate for President was George W. Bush. In 2000, he coined the “compassionate conservative” label. I always hated that since the implication was that conservatives by definition were uncaring. But it worked. He was able to pass himself off as a new kind of Republican which was important following the previous two GOP nominees, his father and Bob Dole, who were both perceived as cranky, old, out-of-touch politicians(plus it contrasted brilliantly with the robotic Al Gore). In 2004, Bush had already defined himself, so instead he set about defining John Kerry. He did that by using “flip-flop”(including handing out flip-flops to supporters) and “I was for it before I was against it”. Most casual observers of the campaign knew about both charges and coupled with the Swift Boat Veterans ads, voters’ trust in Kerry was shattered and Bush won reelection.

Long story less long, the key in 2016 is marketing. The conservative principles are fine. No need to modify or abandon them. But the party has to learn how to communicate these ideas to low information voters in catchy and non-threatening terms.

Doughboy on November 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Not a problem.

We’ll just get our heating and electricity from solar and wind, at 8 times the price we pay now.

Thankfully we don’t have people struggling financially with lowered median wages and more people in poverty situations; or a struggling economy that might suffer from this move.

Oh wait, damn.

gekkobear on November 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I am now a full-on L.i.B.

I am relaxed and looking forward to the show.

For those who decry the L.i.B. philosophy with concerns that liberals will then tag us L.i.B.s with accusations of petulance and being “sore losers”…

Cool! Do it. Yell it from the mountaintops.

What you don’t seem capable of grasping is, once you go full-on L.i.B., there is no opposing response that works.

“Shame on you,” they say? F.U.!

“Racist,” they charge? Yawn.

“You’re only damaging your cause,” they warn. Pardon me while I guffaw. My only “cause” now is to watch you burn.

You can’t beat someone who has nothing to lose. You can’t enjoy a victory over those who don’t give a flying f-a-doodle.

You. Can’t. Beat. Me.

Let. It. Burn.

Dion on November 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I wonder how many Obama voters know what Dodd-Frank does.
I wonder how many Obama voters even heard of Dodd-Frank.
Hell, I saw a video someone did interviewing Obama voters -
and they all thought that the Republicans owned BOTH houses of Congress.

TarheelBen on November 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Obama’s War on Oil has just cost 10% of Therm-Tech of Waukesha (WI) workforce. The major work of Therm-Tech is heat-treating oil production equipment.

Steve Eggleston on November 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Hot Air, trying to convince itself that it cares about the working man …

Failing.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

This TOOL, for expecting us to believe he has a job…

MAJOR FAIL!!!

BigWyo on November 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Dion on November 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Count me in…

Full on L.i.B….

Not to be confused with “Lib” as it refers to the idiots who got us here in the first place…

WisconsinJewels on November 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Deanna on November 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Oh how true. We are about to emabrk on a dual track society. The haves, and the have nots.

You see the denocrats concern for the poor is only so much as to male sure they stay that way. Even our lib friends know the real facts.

COnvince I care for the “common” man. I do, and I did. But now I need to take care of my own.

If you are in college and you are not becoming a nurse/doctor/medical professional, engineering, hard sciences and business, it is going to get pretty slim. The hours will be cut and the positions will be scarce.

But hey I got mine – and I will use my wealth to make more wealth, while I use the drugs of free contraceptives, welfare and food stamps to make the masses think they are getting one over on me. Only they won’t be. I will take the days of easy money and assets to accumulate more assets, because that is what Obama wants me to do. And because the masses can’t get a bank loan. And I wouldn’t ever want to disappoint our dear leader.

Zomcon JEM on November 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Of course this happens in Utah, a state that went overwhelmingly for Governor Romney.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I am going to laugh with glee every time a unionized shop or business in deep blue country shuts down and sees its Obama-voting workers laid off. They voted for economic catastrophe gay marriage and funding for Planned Parenthood, so let them suffer.

MidniteRambler on November 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM

OBAMA 2016!!/!

rogerb on November 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Most terrifying of all, he/she claims to be a college perfesser.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I am now a full-on L.i.B.

I am relaxed and looking forward to the show.

Cool! Do it. Yell it from the mountaintops.

“Shame on you,” they say? F.U.!

“Racist,” they charge? Yawn.

You. Can’t. Beat. Me.

Let. It. Burn.

I was there at 12:30 AM Central Time this past Wednesday morning.

I just needed the acronym.

L.I.B.

MidniteRambler on November 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Full on L.I.B, the faster the better, lets get this over and pick up the pieces. I see Harry Reid is calling for 2.7 Trillion more in the debt ceiling. How about this Harry why go halfway? How about 100 Trillion or 500 Trillion added, Before you Cons go ballistic think of this 16 Trillion is money we don’t have anyways, it is debt and since the Libs keep raising the ceiling every six months or so let them. Just don’t participate, as other earlier posters say Who cares, raise it as high as you want, a fake 16 Trillion is the same as a fake 100 Trillion.

Now this is pure beauty some of the best prose I have seen in a while
Shame on you,” they say? F.U.!

“Racist,” they charge? Yawn.

You. Can’t. Beat. Me.

Let. It. Burn.

Full on L.I.B all the way down.

stormridercx4 on November 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

From Drudge, Obama admin going after domestic oil… again.

Instead of jobs “saved or created” it’s jobs that have now been “saved from being created”.

These people can’t stop themselves.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I worked in mining for twelve years before losing my job to the “clean air act.” Guess who the biggest contributor to the acid rain lobby was?…The Burlington Northern Rail Road. They owned thousands of acres of lower sulphur coal leases and stood to make billions transporting their western coal from Montana and Wyoming back east. Mercury and little kiddies asthma has squat to do with the war on coal. Follow the money.

bluesdoc70 on November 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I am now a full-on L.i.B.

I am relaxed and looking forward to the show.

Cool! Do it. Yell it from the mountaintops.

“Shame on you,” they say? F.U.!

“Racist,” they charge? Yawn.

You. Can’t. Beat. Me.

Let. It. Burn.

Dion on November 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

This so much. Going forward when anyone laments losing their job my first reaction will be to ask who did you vote for. And if the House GOP bows down to the DEMS I’ll either vote Libertarian in the future or abstain from voting. I use to chastise people for this view but I’m tired of watching the GOP rollover.

buckichick1 on November 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Edward Murray is a coward, like so many GOP corporate activists. Blaming Obama makes it real easy to avert taking responsibility for his own shitty business practices.

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

to be sure you know the mining and energy industries bifidis….

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I would be interested in three things from you:

1) What is your background in underground mining economics?

(Disclosure: I have 50 years experience, especially in u/g mining. Not coal, but similar mining systems.)

2) How much time have you spent underground?

3) What exactly,in detail, are Murray’s “shitty business practices” that you perceive is his responsibility and affect the market for his production?

Yoop on November 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I am now a full-on L.i.B.

I am relaxed and looking forward to the show.

Cool! Do it. Yell it from the mountaintops.

“Shame on you,” they say? F.U.!

“Racist,” they charge? Yawn.

You. Can’t. Beat. Me.

Let. It. Burn.

Dion on November 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Great stuff, Dion. “Pardon me while I guffaw” … hilarious.

I’d like to enlist in the L.I.B. Brigade. When can we have our first L.I.B. gathering? The only thing I’d like to say is that we should at least be putting the information out there in terms of proper economic policy and the role of government so that the masses know where to turn when they come out of the inevitable collapse.

RobbBond on November 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

buckichick1 on November 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Especially if you know they voted for Obama.

“We had an election, and this is what the people voted for. Look at the bright side, at least women can get their birth control without a co-pay now.”

malclave on November 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM

You. Can’t. Beat. Me.

Let. It. Burn.

Dion on November 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I like your idea… I just have one problem with it…

It’s… too… SLOW.

BURN. IT. ALL. DOWN.

Join the free stuff mafia. Jump on the bandwagon… grab every ounce of free crap that your fists can handle. Work the system.

Then when it all falls apart… get to your emergency cache and be prepared to shoot your ‘friends’ while they try to bust down your door for your supplies.

Do it with a smile… while telling them ‘I told you so.’

Chaz706 on November 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM

We love ya, Utah, but please don’t come to Florida looking form a job. Go to a blue state and apply for benefits.

peacenprosperity on November 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Another thought I saw a post that said Obama might offer the Business czar position to Romney. If Romney accepts this job, he is the dumbest willing target of opportunity I will ever see in my life. If the jobs don’t materialize as the WH Dumba&& says they will’ who do you think he is going to throw under the bus. I can see it now “Well I didn’t see that one coming, hit me again.”

stormridercx4 on November 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM

If only there were a way to ensure only those who voted for Obama are the ones who get laid off.

Yakko77 on November 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

My only comment is this…If you voted for Obama and you get laid off….do not come to me for sympathy. You did it to yourself. I have no room for those who do not strive for excellence and hard work but strive for mediocrity and idolence.

logicman_1998 on November 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yoop on November 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I bet it something along the lines of “he expects his employees to buy condoms with their own money”.

rogerb on November 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

logicman_1998 on November 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Sympathy is for those who do the RIGHT thing and get hurt. Ridicule is for those who do the WRONG thing and get hurt.

john1schn on November 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Hurricane Sandy’s foot print will be small potatoes when our electric grid grinds to a halt. Shutting down the coal mines and freezing the drilling and fracking on Federal land is a start and when all the fossil fuel plants go off line it will take months to get back to normal. At the present time when a nuke goes off line for repairs or refueling a back up comes on line to fill the void in the grid and the majority of the back ups are fossil fueled plants. We have a present Government that’s playing political games with the very life lines of our Country and a public that is still partying about an election that hasn’t a clue what the grid is or how it is managed. Maybe when the East Coast gets back to normal and the stats are all totaled and all the horror stories aired the public will wake up as to what’s really going on like the companies laying off thousands but even that is falling on deaf ears.

mixplix on November 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

mixplix on November 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Shoulda gone with CANDU. The only major line of civilian utility reactors with live on-power refueling.

Alberta_Patriot on November 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I just talked with AMVETs to petition for 100 disability. Rather than try to operate a helicopter that I can barely climb to the top of, I’m going to really retire and get some of the taxes I’ve paid back. How stupid do you have to be to keep woking, in pain, while others are producing songs about how to spend their EBT card?

Rather than use my health insurance to fix my hip I blew out in Afghanistan, I’m going to have the VA do it for me. I know the process is longer, I know there’s a good chance they’ll accidently remove my kneecaps in the process. But I want the government to pay for it.

Also, with so much free time on my hands. I’m going back to college. I’m going to take three classes a semester and do exactly one on campus. That gets me about a 1500 buck stipend per month while I’m in school. I’ve got 36 months left.

obama winning a second term may be the best thing that happened to me.

America … not so much.

PS, talk around the military people I know is that obama is seriously considering commiting ground troops to Syria.

hawkdriver on November 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I leave it as I found it.

Take it. It’s yours

—-Elias Wyatt, Atlas Shrugged—

We are all in the Novel now.

Bulletchaser on November 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM