Video: America may have voted for irreversible decline, but at least we still have formulaic ‘tween pop songs about Thanksgiving

posted at 8:23 pm on November 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Am I right in thinking that this is our first post-election palate cleanser? The last one I remember was that “Walking Dead” post late on Monday night, back when I still had hope that we might somehow fend off the fiscal equivalent of the zombie apocalypse. Nope; we’re bitten now. Just a matter of time before, a la Greece, we go zombie. Ah well. If we’re going out, let’s go out true to who we are as a people — with a viral video of a paint-by-numbers pop concoction from a junior high-schooler about how awesome turkey and mashed potatoes are. When your kids ask you what America was like back in the age of plenty, before the budgetary End Times, you show ‘em this and you tell them: This was America. And it was pretty great.

If, perchance, this reminds you of Rebecca Black, there’s a reason. The guy who wrote it wrote “Friday” too. Exit question: Is Thanksgiving a thing with ‘tweens now? I remember it fondly as a kid for being a chance to see grandma and eat really, really well, but maybe I should have been partying with my seventh-grade classmates instead.

Comments

rofl

tom daschle concerned on November 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Another self-pitying headline, more HotAirheads drunk on their woebegone woefulness. Yikes. What happened to your conservative mettle?

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I have already cancelled any Thanksgiving celebration. There is nothing to be thankful for now.

maddmatt on November 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Pretty cool. :) If you like synthetic bass.

I think I like Gary Granger’s work better, though. Don’t forget:

A Turkey Named Brotherhood

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I somehow made it through that..i think my ears are bleeding though haha

sadsushi on November 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Thanksgiving?

One for the history books.

Electrongod on November 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

*uptwinkles*

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Do you want some good, Friday night drinking music?

Kings of Leon – “Ragoo”

blatantblue on November 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Meh.

Corporal Tunnel on November 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

This song rocks.

It’s got a very Fleetwood Mac feel..

US Royalty – “Monte Carlo”

blatantblue on November 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

“Politics is down stream of popular culture…”

—Breitbart

idesign on November 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

And for the metal heads, a favorite of mine

Misery Signals – “Parallels”

blatantblue on November 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Oh, oh, oh. It’s Thanksgiving…

Over the river and through the wood to grandmother’s house we go is just not cool anymore.

Fallon on November 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

This makes me want to off myself.

EarthToZoey on November 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

What has Allah’s headline got to do with us? You’re not new here, Allahpundit, world class beta male and renowned Eeyore. Don’t you worry about the rest of us, we will try to support you parasites as long as we can. Eventually y’all are going to run out of other people’s money.

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

That similarity to Friday is truly scary.

It has the same “we-we-we gonna…” lines, and the stream of consciousness listing of random things. It got shout outs from the girls friends, and random African American gentleman literally popping into the frame to give the video some street cred.

I have a lot of respect for the musical business geniuses putting this out.

Nessuno on November 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Arnold Ahlert has a great article -

” I have a suggestion for the Republicans, one they won’t hear from anyone else: give Barry and Company everything they want, without an iota of resistance. Let ‘em raise taxes and the debt ceiling, gut the military, and run up trillions of dollars of additional deficits and debt. Then stand back, and let an utterly corrupt media chronicle the demise–without being able to pin an ounce of the ensuing socialist catastrophe on an “obstructionist” GOP.

Harry Reid wants to end the filibuster? Tell him it won’t be necessary. For the next four years, Republicans will do what a certain Senator from Illinois made a career of doing: they will simply vote “present” on every bill put before them in both houses of Congress. In effect, give Democrats they same unassailable majority they had in 2008–the same one that led directly to the passage of ObamaCare. Any attempt to meet Democrats “half-way” is a fool’s errand. There is no split-the-difference, get along to go along, compromise that can be reached between tyranny and freedom. With respect to the rule of law and the Constitution, you’re either in or you’re out.A nation is either solvent or bankrupt. It is either exceptional or ordinary. The American majority voted for tyranny, bankruptcy and mediocrity.

Give the people what they want–until they can’t stand it anymore.”

VorDaj on November 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This makes me want to off myself.

EarthToZoey on November 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

But, did you hear the part about the turkey and mashed potatoes?

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Thanksgiving is approaching? Yay, Pizza Day!!!!

I stay away from anything even remotely “tween” (except pizza).

My experience with tweens and Thanksgiving revolves around Indian killing talk and whining about vegetarianism. Ages 11-26 are no longer invited to Pizza Day.

tuffy on November 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Looking forward to Thanksgiving and continuing TROLLCOTT!!

Khun Joe on November 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Thanksgiving?

rplat on November 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

When was this done? Thanksgiving is on the 22nd. Is she from around here?

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thanksgiving?

rplat on November 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Wikipedia has something about this..

Electrongod on November 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I like it.

It’s an old Bob Dylan song, right?

unclesmrgol on November 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I’m Making A Stand And I Will Not Comply, Disperse Or Disband

M2RB: Kalai

Resist We Much on November 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I hate myself for having watched that.

myrenovations on November 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Cindy Munford on November 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

There’s the Cindy I know and love…

OmahaConservative on November 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

“When your kids ask you what America was like back in the age of plenty, before the budgetary End Times, you show ‘em this and you tell them: This was America. And it was pretty great.”

I was just talking with little 7% as we were watching FOX cover the increased number of layoffs…

… to paraphrase:

“Those idiots who voted for Obowma are going to regret it, aren’t they Dad?”

“Pretty much..”

Seven Percent Solution on November 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

ROFL. If the GOP was smart, it would hire this guy pronto.

In all seriousness though, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I like that and Christmas. Most of the rest I’m not too in to.

WhatSlushfund on November 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Video: America may have voted for irreversible decline,

Is America really in decline once we look at the rest of the world?

Western Europe: multiple fiscal collapses in progress, ongoing islamicization

Africa: Pffft…. nuff sed

Asia: Japan in critical decline, China’s economic strength largely illusory and artificially propped up, China under multiple demographic time bombs due to one-child policy, China unlikely to continue to exist in recognizable form by end of century. India growing in power, could become strong counter to China (or what’s left of China after it collapses).

Muslim world: in decline since 10th century AD. Culturally incapable of reversing itself.

Central and South America: basket case since middle of cold war, Brazil stable and capable of strong growth though unlikely to become major global power anytime soon

North America: Mexico in effective state of civil war. High ranking police officers have half-lives measured in weeks. Mexican president speaks out on Colorado movie theatre massacre, but silent on thousands dead per year in his own back yard. Canada stable, prosperous but still cold. Side effects of fiscal meltdown in USA and Europe put Canada in position to dominate Olympic and World hockey championships for remainder of 21st century.

Russia: Similar demographic/birth rate issues to Europe and rest of west. Putins support of islamist states could result in significant blowback once attention is diverted away from America/Israel. Rich in natural resources, however economically vulnerable to crap hitting fan in rest of world.

Prognosis: The islamic conquest of Europe (1300 years behind schedule) is likely to produce a wave of immigration “of huddled masses yearning to be free”. The landing of these immigrants occurring just as, or shortly after, the sputtering and collapse of the Obama era welfare state. re-ascend. The dawn of the second American century may have been simply put temporarily on hold.

Alberta_Patriot on November 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Well, they got the months and holidays right. Give them some credit.

I found it a bit odd that she sat on her bed singing “oh oh Thanksgiving.” Very, uh…schmaltzy.

conservative pilgrim on November 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

one hopes the latest Steyn will be part (all) the qotd

Obama increased the federal debt by just shy of $6 trillion and in return grew the economy by $905 billion. So, as Lance Roberts at Street Talk Live pointed out, in order to generate every dollar of economic growth the United States had to borrow about five dollars and 60 cents. There’s no one out there on the planet — whether it’s “the rich” or the Chinese — who can afford to carry on bankrolling that rate of return. According to one CBO analysis, U.S.-government spending is sustainable as long as the rest of the world is prepared to sink 19 percent of its GDP into U.S. Treasury debt. We already know the answer to that: In order to avoid the public humiliation of a failed bond auction, the U.S. Treasury sells 70 percent of the debt it issues to the Federal Reserve — which is to say the left hand of the U.S. government is borrowing money from the right hand of the U.S. government. It’s government as a Nigerian e-mail scam, with Ben Bernanke playing the role of the dictator’s widow with $4 trillion under her bed that she’s willing to wire to Timmy Geithner as soon as he sends her his bank-account details.

If that’s all a bit too technical, here’s the gist: There’s nothing holding the joint up.

pretty much a rofl from beginning to end

r keller on November 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Oh, I did dance around the room:

Tur-key
AAAY!
Mashed pota-toes
AAAY!

Thanks, Allahpundit
AAAY!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

This is the YouTube video that should have incited protest riots. And, for the record, this was not similar to Friday. It was essentially the same song with mashed potato.

Happy Nomad on November 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

VorDaj on November 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Been saying this, too.

Let ‘em have at it.

davidk on November 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

A very cute video, sweet song, makes me wish I was that age again, instead of dealing with what’s coming for my own kids. But joy, like that shown in this piece, has a way of motivating the spirit and the resolve. We will overcome, as Dr. King said in a different time, but his words have even more meaning now, don’t they?

TXUS on November 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I hate myself for having watched that.

myrenovations on November 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Me too. Reminds me Thanksgiving is only a couple weeks off with a decidedly politically mixed family gathering. I think I’m going with the “But I thought it was on the 28th” excuse.

Happy Nomad on November 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

ROFL. If the GOP was smart, it would hire this guy pronto.

WhatSlushfund on November 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Yeah, that July 4 thing is kind of just okay, anymore.

TXUS on November 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

maddmatt on November 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

We can be thankful for the 22nd Amendment, right?

Right?

jefrey with one f on November 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Where was mom and dad (who bought all the food)? Speaking of food, that was once pathetic looking turkey. More like a chicken. This year, I’m planning to make one of these:

TeaTrekkie on November 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Let’s try that again…..

TeaTrekkie on November 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Last time…here’s another link, maybe this one will work:

TeaTrekkie on November 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Dang! It’s a stupid bacon wrapped turkey!

TeaTrekkie on November 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

This is the YouTube video that should have incited protest riots.

Happy Nomad on November 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

LOL

Hey, it’s supposed to be a Thanksgiving song, yet the moment when they all bow their heads to give thanks, the brat breaks up the prayer & starts thanking her friends instead.

itsnotaboutme on November 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

maddmatt on November 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

America is smaller than everything it fits in. And we’re bigger than everything we contain.

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I am at a loss for words.

vcferlita on November 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

TXUS on November 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

That’s the spirit, Tex
AAAY!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

*we = peoples

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Dang! It’s a stupid bacon wrapped turkey!

TeaTrekkie on November 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

1. Type you text first, like this: Link.
2. Go to whatever page you want to link. Copy the URL onto the clipboard.
3. Come back and highlight you text (“Link”).
4. Click the link button.
5. Paste your link into the box that appears.
6. OK/Confirm.

Ignore all that if it’s just an equipment failure.

Axe on November 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I just left a few posts on that Walking Dead thread! Thanks AP for a Walking Dead post!

TigerPaw on November 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Where were this poor girl’s parents when she was making this video? Why weren’t they there to help her see that this wasn’t a good idea?

The Hop on November 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Self-pitying? Nope. Actually, I pity you for being blind to truth of what your guy is doing to this country.

TarheelBen on November 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan

TarheelBen on November 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

bifidis on November 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

TarheelBen on November 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Poor ol’ bif really believes that lil barry is going to give him all that ‘free stuff’ that was promised.
Poor ol’ bif doesn’t seem to realize that, as soon as enough of us get fed up with supporting his lazy azz, that we’re gonna just go on strike. Just drop out. Shut the doors one night and hang an ‘out of business’ sign in the window.
No business = no taxes to lil barry = no free stuff for poor ol’ bif.

Solaratov on November 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM

the number of videos on Hotair featuring teenage girls is um weird.

Joseph Russo III on November 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM

the number of videos on Hotair featuring teenage girls is um weird.

Joseph Russo III

He doth protest too much…

Hard Right on November 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Joseph Russo III on November 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM

So this makes two by my count. Did I miss something?

Cindy Munford on November 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM

No business = no taxes to lil barry = no free stuff for poor ol’ bif.

I had to shut down a business proposal I was working on, when Barry got re-elected, a number of the small businessmen I know did exactly what you said. Oh well No taxes. No business No free stuff.

I look forward to watching the parasites as Cindy calls them, when the salt shaker of reality is poured down on them. Maybe they can call Barry for help on their shiny, free Obamaphone. At this time I am Full on L.I.B.

Let It Burn. The Libs own it now, and I will sit back and I will enjoy Schadenfreude.

stormridercx4 on November 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM

And… cue the drumstick microphone at 2:58.

Parents take note–this is what happens when your children are raised on a steady diet of pop culture.

hungrymongo on November 10, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Forget that.

Watch WKRP.

joekenha on November 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

A black man, dressed up as a turkey, at a table full of 13-year-old white girls. Scathing social commentary, methinks.

steebo77 on November 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Vegetarians and PETA are going to start mass protests. How could they cook that poor helpless turkey?

WyoMike on November 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

“He (Caesar) will give them bread and circus, and they will love him for it.” Senator Gracchus

LizardLips on November 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

As soon as the Auto-tune kicked in I was out of there’

Gwillie on November 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I made it 1 minute and 14 seconds in before I had to stop.

I’m sure thats some sort of record.

vegconservative on November 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM