Video: Hey, how about Romney for Obama’s “Secretary of Business”?

posted at 9:42 pm on November 8, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, I’ve seen this idea kicked around enough the last two days that I thought I’d put it out there. Romney’s enough of a mensch that, if Obama came to him with the idea and pitched it as something to be done for the good of the country, I bet he’d seriously consider it. Notwithstanding the recent … unpleasantness:

At a breakfast on Wednesday morning for top campaign advisers and donors, Mr. Romney marveled at the Obama campaign’s ability to turn out such a large volume of voters on Election Day, though at times by using strategies that he said had unfairly maligned him.

He did little to hide his frustration and pique: he bemoaned attempts by the president and his allies to characterize him as an enemy of women, singling out advertisements that claimed he opposed contraception and abortion in all cases. That, Mr. Romney said, is simply untrue, according to those who attended the breakfast.

Would a guy who can go be a major player in business again by joining some company as CEO really want a dumb quasi-ceremonial liaison position like “Secretary of Business”? And would Obama, whose disdain for Romney is an open secret, actually entertain the idea? He just got done caricaturing Romney as a retrograde tax-cheating plutocrat who’s looted the working man through his business endeavors, and now he’s going to turn around and make him the federal government’s de facto ambassador to business? What?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ain’t going to happen..

Romney would be successful.

Bad optics for the democrats..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

its a trap!

portlandon on November 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Sounds like a TV sitcom

El_Terrible on November 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

John huntsmen II: Electric Boogaloo

portlandon on November 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

That crap only flies on TV. Who wants to be the Secretary of Business for a President that hates business?

If Romney is so stupid enough to accept such a position, I’ll regret my vote.

Hog Wild on November 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

So, forgive me for being so naive as to think Obama would follow the law, but…

I assume a “Secretary of Business” would be a cabinet-level position, correct? Therefore, wouldn’t it have to be created by Congress. I know Obama has gone a bit czar-crazy, but he can’t just unilaterally create a new cabinet department.

So, my question is… Regardless of who might be tapped to fill it, would the Republican house go along with creating this new cabinet post?

Shump on November 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

No way. Obama is too afraid that Mitt might actually engage in some of that nasty, job-producing capitalism. Can’t have that.

predator on November 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

“Romney for leader of the Special Olympics.” – Obama

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Romney can give people cancer with his mind. I say put him in the Special Ops and have him give Putin and Achmidenijad brain cancer.

bitsy on November 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Video: Hey, how about Romney for Obama’s “Secretary of Business”?

I got a better idea,How about Obama for Felon-in-Federal pound you in the ass Prisoner #1

SWalker on November 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Let it burn…!

Seven Percent Solution on November 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

If this is true , Mitt is a f*cking amateur.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I don’t click on/look at/listen to/read about anything “Toure” has to say.

Dopenstrange on November 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

He would go for it.

astonerii on November 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Golden oldie.

A moment of Camelot in the decades of Bush/RINO led electoral disasters.

Remember the stories in 2008, after the election, when it was outed that ROMNEY’s team of advisers working for McCain had worked tirelessly to destroy the brand of Palin?

Good times.

PappyD61 on November 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

oh god – is that TOE-RAY? I need to watch a video of him like i need a hole in the head. Not clicking.

sbvft contributor on November 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

No way either go for it. And I share Romney’s frustration…where the hell did that whole contraception garbage even come from?

changer1701 on November 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

John huntsmen II: Electric Boogaloo

portlandon on November 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

LOL

Pretty much and it wouldn’t really surprise me if Romney accepted.

sharrukin on November 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

……..and yes Romney would show his true “bi-partisan” colors and go for it.

PappyD61 on November 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Nobody in their right mind will want to be associated with the next 4 years of the Obama administration.

HumpBot Salvation on November 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Which Romney? Some Pre-2007 editions won’t be that bad of a choice. He can oversee implementation of his own ideas nationwide.

The post-2007 editions get continuously worse though.

Either way, nothing is never going to happen as much as this.

lester on November 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

He would go for it.

astonerii on November 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

He is no Biden..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Romney wont do it, and Obama prob wont ask anyway. If Obama did ask, I would hope Romney would use he same words Dick Cheney used some years ago to a deomocrat in the senate…

Jack_Burton on November 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

If that happens, then that would tell me that everything Ann Barnhardt has been saying about this election is 100% correct – i.e., that the outcome was fixed for Obama, and that Obama would give Romney some sort of advisor or cabinet position. She said that before election day. I thought maybe she’d gone round the bend, but now….?

Mr Galt on November 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Which Romney?
lester on November 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Which Obama?

The Obama that was going to heal the planet.

Or the Obama today that wants “Revenge”.

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This is a post? c’mon AP.

KCB on November 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I think Romney’s smart enough not to want to set himself up to take the blame for the next 4 years of Obama’s failure to get the economy going.

SoRight on November 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

“Secretary of Business”

I needed that laugh. :)

I just had an idea for heading up the Ministry of Truthiness . . .

. . . “Secretary of McNuggets” still an open field.

Axe on November 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

SoRight on November 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Romney is no Hillary..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Hey, I heard someone on Fox today say that the King should nominate Mitt for Secretary of the Treasury.

JPeterman on November 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Romney has a graceful way out, if it were offered, without looking like it’s sour grapes.

He could just say that while he would be honored and would love to put his business acumen to work for the American people, he fears he would not have the freedom to fully implement his ideas under an Obama administration, whose economic and business policies are anathema to his own.

Done. Next.

Firefly_76 on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

What’s wrong with the unfilled Sec. of Commerce position?

How stupid are the president and the US people?

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I still can’t believe that Obama won.

Low information voting is a crisis in this country.

blatantblue on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

If I’d get the call from the Child I’d say “Mr. President you own it all, you Liar”.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

The GOP will always lose the ad wars, because the MSM will cover. Compare the MSM reaction to the litany of deceipt from Obama to the one rebuttal car ad that Romney ran toward the end. The MSM and Ohio print media crucified him for what was ultimately a factual ad. But the “Not one of us” Obama ad? Crickets from the MSM. That ad was despicable.

SAZMD on November 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Oh Dear God.

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Romney’s response should be F U C K _ Y O U!!!

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I still can’t believe that Obama won.

Low information voting is a crisis in this country.

blatantblue on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

They will soon feel pain when their Obamaphones disappear..
It has to be paid…
By someone..

And that someone is under attack..

Kinda like our Americans in Benghazi..

There will be no response..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Sure, give Obama someone else to blame for his failures. It’s what he does best all he knows how to do.

ElectricPhase on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Ugh, this is so weak, is HA that desperate for somthing to fill the empty spots?

Sorry, but really, is this all we got?

From this point on, I’d be happy to let the dems just have at it.

No ifs’ ands’ or buts’…

This whole election cycle has me exhausted and super frustrated…

I can’t believe much of what I am reading.

Scrumpy on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

If Romney only uses that once in his whole life, this would be the time.

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

This is one of the best ideas yet.

KCB on November 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Touré is a race-hustling, deep-fried turdball. Don’t listen to him. Don’t heed his advice.

Glenn Jericho on November 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

This is about as likely as Boehner withholding funding from Obamacare.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

predator on November 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

this idea wouldn’t surprise me given the insanity that has gripped the nation.

Don’t be a token Gov. Romney.

You ran…they chose…Move on with honor.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Video: Hey, how about Romney for Obama’s “Secretary of Business Scapegoat Czar”?

Left Coast Right Mind on November 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Scrumpy on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Good evening Scrumpy….. ;)

SWalker on November 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

What’s wrong with the unfilled Sec. of Commerce position?

How stupid are the president and the US people?

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

You remember what Einstein said about hydrogen and stupidity? Or was it the Universe and stupidity? Well, whichever it was, stupidity was more or bigger, and by a whole lot.

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I just saw a photo of Reagan giving the thumbs up on Facebook.

It made me want to cry, honestly.

I was alive for one year of his presidency, so I obviously have ZERO recollection, but in a strange, way I feel proud to have lived at least one year of my life under his presidency. I take pride in that, that I got to spend at least one year of my life under a president who believed in the American ideal, and actually promoted that ideal.

blatantblue on November 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM

If it is true…I would milk it and then say no. You show that the left knows nothing so they go to mitt.

tomas on November 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Dick Morris is on Greta right now trying to explain why he’s such an idiot.

predator on November 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Good times.

PappyD61 on November 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

And by that giving Obama two terms .

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

blatantblue on November 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I had the honor of Reagan being the very first President of the United states that I ever voted for. There are thing far worse that I cry over. Like America electing a Marxist.

SWalker on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Romney’s response should be F U C K _ Y O U!!!

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Exactly. Simpson-Bowles? Yeah, let’s give Mitt a job he doesn’t need and one that prove pointless with an Idiot in Chief. Just waste money and time. Ignore all recommendations while the Putz goes golfing.

Let’s not be stupid.

Cody1991 on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Dick Morris is on Greta right now trying to explain why he’s such an idiot.

predator on November 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Well, he now has a life time job. This will be rare in our coming full bore Obama economy. Maybe that was his plan all along.

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

John huntsmen II: Electric Boogaloo

portlandon on November 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

The thread stops here. Awesome.

fitzfong on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Obamacare eats 800,000 jobs – CBO

If Romney the turnaround guy does help out… maybe he can sell the Union states to Italy?

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Nah. He’ll write a new kids book, “Dubs’ Owner is a Dipstick.”

predator on November 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

: Hey, how about Romney for Obama’s “Secretary of Business”?

I think Billy Ayers has a better shot at the position.

M240H on November 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

SWalker on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I had that urge because it just sent the message home that we have truly FAILED as a country

How despicable we have become

blatantblue on November 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I still can’t believe that Obama won.

Low information voting is a crisis in this country.

blatantblue on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I know I’m still in shock.

Just read about all the layoffs announced just today. Good Lord I hope we make it.

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Fall guy for the fiscal cliff.

Ukiah on November 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I’ve always thought we should work out a corporate spin off deal to let China have California.

We could probably sell CA for $1.00 and rid ourselves of having to fund their follies.

Cody1991 on November 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Everyone should send a care package to someone in Zimbabwe. In a couple of years you may need them to return the favor.

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Good evening SW, and everyone, my manners slipped…mind on other things…

Scrumpy on November 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My recommendation years ago was to buy Zimbawe and give it to BO. Give him his AF1, revoke his citizenship and pack the family off to their own country to run.

Cody1991 on November 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM

To even suggest such a thing is ludicrous.

davidk on November 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

It was inevitable..

They held out as long as they could…

They aren’t evil.

They were banking on America..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

If America wanted Romney to be “Secretary of Business” they would have elected him…

I would never forgive Romney if he joined the Obama administration. Maybe a different Democratic party administration, but not Obama’s.

ninjapirate on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Which Obama?

The Obama that was going to heal the planet.

Or the Obama today that wants “Revenge”.

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

You’re mistaking your imaginary version of Obama with the Obama in the real world. It’s like when Obama promised healthcare, then became president and went though with it and conservatives were all suddenly in wtf mode.

And there’s nothing wrong with revenge by voting to counter the never-ending GOP obstruction. Again I can guess your source of confusion: When liberals talk revenge it’s by non-violent means. When conservatives talk revenge, it generally involves 2nd amendement.

lester on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

One thing for sure, it’sa gonna get much much worse before it can get better, if ever…

Scrumpy on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Me thinks,it would be a slight problem,er a WalkBack!!

Romney blasts Obama’s ‘secretary of business’ plan as just another layer of government
Published November 01, 2012
****************************

The Romney campaign is ripping President Obama for calling for the creation of a secretary of business to handle the nation’s economic ills — running a TV ad saying that solution would only add more bureaucracy to a cluttered system.

“His solution to everything is to add another bureaucrat,” the narrator says in the 30-second spot. “Why not have a president who actually understands business?”

The president floated the idea last week, saying he wanted to consolidate “a whole bunch” of government agencies.

“We should have one secretary of business, instead of nine different departments that are dealing with things like giving loans to (the Small Business Administration) or helping companies with exports,” Obama told MSNBC.

Romney criticized the idea Thursday during a rally in southwest Virginia.

“I know the president is trying to figure out some way to suggest he has new ideas,” said Romney, repeating as he often has on the trail that roughly 23 million Americans are out of work or underemployed. “He came up with the idea of creating a Department of Business. I don’t think adding a new chair in his cabinet will add more jobs on Main Street.”

Republican running mate Paul Ryan, in Greeley, Colo., also mocked Obama on Thursday for the proposal. He said the country already has a secretary of business. “It’s called the secretary of commerce,” he said.
(More…)
===================

canopfor on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It was inevitable..

They held out as long as they could…

They aren’t evil.

They were banking on America..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

My heart breaks for them all.

We will rise from the ashes – America has 57 million+ who get it. I just think getting to rock bottom is going to be horrendous.

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

And when the libs talk about revenge..

We call it a bowl movement on a police car..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Didn’t Clinton offer GHWB a cabinet position? Or at least float the idea? If I remember correctly, the idea was dismissed by pretty much everyone as a stupid gimmick back then, as it should be now.

RINO in Name Only on November 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

canopfor on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Isn’t that the truth!

Too many Depts doing the same thing, what, do they need overseers to watch the overseers?

Just more dumb ways to waste our hard earned dough…

Scrumpy on November 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Do you ever read the stuff you write?

davidk on November 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

It was inevitable..

They held out as long as they could…

They aren’t evil.

They were banking on America..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Only gansta’s will do business here…birds of a feather kind of thingy

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Lester, just wait . What goes around comes around. You’re get yours SB. The expanded power of this federal government will cut both ways.
Enjoy.

CW on November 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I have prepared my Daughter ….who is in college..
That Lester is a fraud..
And people like him.

Do for yourself….it’s you best chance..

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

For all we know it will be 6 by 2014. No info to trust.

tomas on November 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Romney should do it just to mock it.

theperfecteconomist on November 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

VorDaj on November 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

A friend gave me a Zimbabwean 100 million dollar bill. Hey, may be worth more than our currency in a few years.

Firefly_76 on November 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

*you’ll

CW on November 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

canopfor on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Drudge has you on speed dial, doesn’t he. Fess up. :)

Axe on November 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Romney might be vain enough to take it – he certainly wouldn’t refuse just over the conservative principles he studied in time to run for the nomination – but I’m sure he doesn’t want to be anywhere near this car wreck.

HitNRun on November 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I don’t think you know who the “real world” Obama is, anymore than you know who Judith Falkner of Epic is- or that your utopian notion of Obamacare is a delusion. It’s a pay-off, a Chicago deal, a consolidation of power.

M240H on November 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

More Dem fantasy — basically admitting that Romney was the right man for the job except that Obama is so super awesome that he DESERVES to be POTUS, so why not let Romney do the real work while Obama golfs? They can’t seem to understand that the person who actually does the work should get the credit (cf — Seal Team Six/OBL).

Also, Romney would just be setting himself up as the scapegoat for the Obama economy for the man who demonized him by calling him a felon, murderer & misogynist for the last 6 months when the reality is that none of his recommendations would stand a chance of being implemented anyway (cf the Simpson-Boles committee that Obama set up designed a plan that Obama promptly ignored).

Eff that chit. The parasites made their choice & better enjoy it while they can, their host is dying.

Let it burn.

Dark Star on November 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Romney should accept the position. He does need to pay the bills you know. I hear the drapes queen Ann bought after the first debate can’t be returned for a refund.

HotAirLib on November 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Reminds me of the 2nd cartoon in this series:

‘Toons of the Day: Inheritances

Is that Touré? Man, after the Subway Scuba and Epic Fail Longoria, I’d think he’d be hiding out in Antarctica or something!

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

The only jobs created by a “Secretary of Business” will be his staff and the staff of whatever department he heads up. Government jobs, of course. Those are the easiest ones to create.

djm1992 on November 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

You’d think from all the hand-ringing on the right and the gloating on the left that we got 35 to 40% of the vote or less for god’s sake.

CW on November 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Do you ever read the stuff you write?

davidk on November 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Lester doesn’t have time to read what he gets from the regime.

He is paid by the hour….
and he is stupid….

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Romney should do it just to mock it.

theperfecteconomist on November 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Sew up a uniform? :)

Axe on November 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

HitNRun on November 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

It was no surprise to me that Hillary accepted a job from BO. Just consider her history.

Mitt? I would expect and certainly hope that he would never lower himself to be associated with these marxist thugs.

He can do far better work for the country without associating with criminals.

Cody1991 on November 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Forget Secretary of Business, something Obama could care less about anyway. What he needs is another kind of SOB cabinet position, Secretary of Bullshit, just to organize and keep up with everything that comes out of Obama’s mouth and that of his entire administration.

TXUS on November 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM

HotAirLib on November 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I know, that Obama fella and his dashing bride are having a rough time economically. Romney is such an evil greedy guy.

Come on HAL sing DAISY. Oh and FO …have a great nite you puke.

CW on November 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM