Onward, ObamaCare

posted at 2:21 pm on November 8, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

ObamaCare is no longer merely looming — it’s happening, and with the certainty that the health care law is here to stay, the federal bureaucracy is readying to unleash the floodgates of regulation-writing and logistical planning and make it rain on the health-care industry, the states, and the economy at large. Let the good times roll, via the WSJ:

When the law was passed in March 2010, legislators envisaged it extending coverage to 30 million Americans through a combination of state-run insurance exchanges where consumers could apply for federal tax credits toward the cost of premiums, and an expansion of the federal-state Medicaid program for low-income Americans.

Before that can happen, though, significant regulations must start flooding from Washington, including rules for how states and the federal government will operate new health-insurance exchanges where consumers can shop for policies.

Also expected are rules spelling out the terms on which insurers must accept all customers regardless of their medical history, rules governing how insurers can vary premiums based on age and more information about new requirements on employers and individuals to buy insurance.

While certain states have already made decisions about whether they will be setting up their own state insurance exchanges or allowing the federal government to run things on their behalf, others were waiting out the election, and now it’s crunch time to get things set up before the October 1st, 2013 date by which people should be able to start signing up for their new insurance options. With Republican governors running the majority of the states, the question is, refuse to participate in Obama’s scheme and let the feds run everything, or take on the task of creating your own exchange and mitigate the costs as much as possible? Via the Associated Press:

Some, like Rick Perry of Texas and Rick Scott of Florida, have drawn a line against helping carry out Obama’s law. … Missouri voters passed a ballot measure Tuesday that would prohibit establishment of a health insurance exchange unless the Legislature approves. …

… All eyes will be on pragmatists like Chris Christie of New Jersey and Bob McDonnell of Virginia, whose states have done considerable planning of their own to set up exchanges. …

On health insurance exchanges, some governors whose states aren’t likely to be completely ready are considering the administration’s offer of running the new markets through a partnership. …

A recent check by The Associated Press found 17 states and the District of Columbia on track to setting up their own exchanges, while nine have decided not to do so. The federal government could end up running the new markets in half or more of the states.

There is much administrative planning and social engineering still to figure out, but we can with certainty look forward to a lot more of this, again from the WSJ piece:

Jim Amos, CEO of frozen dessert franchiser Tasti D-Lite LLC, said employers who had been holding back on deciding how to respond to new requirements to provide insurance to full-time workers would now move ahead. “If you’re in a position where you want to move people from full-time to part-time jobs, you’re going to begin to do that,” he said, referring to a tactic some employers have tested to avoid the coming insurance requirements.

It’s already begun, via CBS:

A Las Vegas business owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

“David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5 KXNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.” …

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote. I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first. I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that [I] made sure they were paid. And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Sorry to hear you don’t know much about the industry.

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Speaking of, why don’t you respond when your ideological statement is proven false?

rogerb on August 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Crickets.

CW on August 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Brayam doubles down on the lame response to the writer’s points all the ignoring the challenges of RogerB and farsighted.

CW on August 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Don’t misunderstand. I can certainly see an advantage in that sort of ideologically-driven life. If something doesn’t fit you ignore it, and if something needs changing to fit your worldview then you make it up.

We saw it again upthread with bayam’s Malibu statement… Faith-based, religious fundamentalism. Nothing more.

rogerb on August 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Bah. We overcare for people in this country anyway. Why keep people alive until they’re ninety? This ObamaCare thingy will balance all that out, and we can have the same level of care we had at the last civil war. Forward!

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Well, Ms. Johnsen, I don’t think you were here when it happened, but I hope your thanks are extended to the smart people at FOX and HA. They all but endorsed Mittens, who couldn’t even meet McCain’s number of votes.

Well done, indeed.

avgjo on November 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Plays into another of my theories.
This goes like this, once power is solidifed, the moochers are ‘purged’, in order that the WORKERS can get a bit of relief. It doesn’t change the quo, but the WORKERS are grateful and thus satisfied for a while.

A typical scenario may key off the Khmer Rouge, whereby “Green Farms” are created, where millions can toil to death planting millions of acres of wheat and corn in the US midwest by hand.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The French system works quite well,

Princess Dianna disagrees with you.

Meanwhile, it’s kind of funny see the left wing sycophants here STILL lying about the health care issues in this country, despite having just won, meaning Obamacare is here forever. Tells me how bad the plan really is, lol.

The US system is estimated to cost almost 2x as much.

bayam

So what? Who the hell got together and decided the French, or the English, or anybody else for that matter were the ones spending the right amount on health care? It’s bad enough we’re supposed to let liberal nannies in this country decide what’s best for us, now we have to let the liberal nannies in other countries run our lives too?

xblade on November 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I’m going to change Jabberwock‘s question to “How?”.

The Obama-care legislation is deliberately designed to eradicate ALL privatization.

listens2glenn on November 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Fair enough. But, I think it is talking about a two tier system.
I doubt it’ll answer either way.

Jabberwock on November 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Let the death panels begin!

The Rogue Tomato on November 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

My mom is a huge Lefty (campaigned for Obama) and said on a few occasions that instead of the elderly spending their money on expensive medications to live longer that money should instead be forcibly confiscated by the government and given to younger people. I kid you not.

visions on November 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

last civil war. Forward!

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Is that the “last” or the “previous” Civil War.

derft on November 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I told that guy yesterday 3 times, States Exerting their Rights is the road to succession. Do you really think for a minute that the Feds are going to let States do what they want, keep their money, not pay taxes, and flaunt the law?

The Feds first response will be to withhold hiway/medicare money. BTW thats the WHOLE reason MITTCARE was ever invented, so Mass. could wrangle in MORE MEDICARE money. Thats how desperate/petty the States are.

The next step is for the State to keep their own Federal Taxes.

Do you really think the Feds are gonna stand for that.
They will use force of arms to force the State to do whatever it wants.

At that point you are talking civil war or tyranny.
In 2 steps or less.

Thats where standing up for States Rights will get you right now.
I suggest your State be quite willing and ready to go it alone, cause you will probably be alone, unlike April 1861.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

You are arguing for the states not to use their designate dpowers in the Constitution because the federal government may not like it. It was just used yesterday with legalizing of marijuana. The difference between 1861 and now is that the states will be defending freedom not promoting slavery in their opposition to the federal government. The states cause in 1861 was anti-thetical to our declaration and Consitution so they did not have a leg to stand on. We are in the opposite position and have everything to support an individual state’s decision to apply the 10th amendment.

Then again, what is the alternative? Continue on the road to serfdom and accept the status quo eventhough our forefathers gave us the very specific tool to combat exactley what is occuring?

No one said there was an easy route.

Meat Fighter on November 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

visions on November 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

The poster stoner says things like that.

slickwillie2001 on November 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

visions on November 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

So why not get a head start and tell your Mom to give you all her stuff, money, etc.???

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM

last civil war. Forward!

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Yeah, I’m sure that’ll end well.

squint on November 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I think you mean secession and no, exercising its 10th Amendment rights does not signal that a state is seceding.

AubieJon on November 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

No one said there was an easy route.

Meat Fighter on November 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Yes, this is true. There are no easy solutions.
If there were we would be using them right?

But I think we need to prepare, several States need to get together, coordinate, throw out the moochers, etc.

I just don’t see Ala taking a stand anytime soon.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

HotAir writers and corporations care, to start. Why should a company pick the US over a northern European country for opening a new manufacturing facility? Germany,for example, has a better educated workforce and lower healthcare costs. Big differences.

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I just don’t see Ala taking a stand anytime soon.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The citizens of Alabama are pushing for it. Not loudly yet, but it’s coming.

AubieJon on November 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Is that the “last” or the “previous” Civil War.

derft on November 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

“Previous”. Oh, and from now on I want to be known as PrepperMark, instead of SailorMark.

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM

ObamaCare does absolutely nothing to lower healthcare costs. It’s entire function is to artificially hide prices to politically selected groups of people. France and Germany do not work this way.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I just don’t see Ala taking a stand anytime soon.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

That whole string of red states from NC through TX and north of there come to mind. Agriculture, energy, and engineering states. Throw out the moochers and taxes go down. Then we’d see where new businesses prefer to locate and build.

AubieJon on November 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

My son-in-law is a physician. He says there will be concierge practices and a two- tier system. The best physicians, care and access for the rich, the crumbs for the middle class and the poor. Guess which way most of the physicians are going. And guess who will be whining that “it isn’t fair.”

southworth on November 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

You nailed it. But I don’t mind the two-tier system, besides it’s happening already. And it has for a while.

jimver on November 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Can you say, Soviet Union?

riddick on November 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Don’t know , never been there :)…not even to Russia…

jimver on November 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You got it PM. I’m in.

derft on November 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

So many comments wishing death and destruction upon country. In a way it is just fantastic. This is the Akin-grade outpouring of honesty, except replace the neanderthal with bunch of sociopaths.

Guess what? None of it will come true.

Obamacare provisions that have kicked in so far are not just favored, they are vastly popular. When the number one cause of bankruptcy goes away, when tens of thousands of Americans don’t die every year because they can’t afford care, that’s when GOP is really finished. The whole repeal as quickly as possible was to avoid that moment when the country sees the benefit of what is mislabeled as “socialism”.

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Yes, this is true. There are no easy solutions.
If there were we would be using them right?

I just don’t see Ala taking a stand anytime soon.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I concur and it’s why I belive Texas is the state best suited to aggresively see through a 10th amendment application. However, while Gov perry talks a good game, for example with the EPA, the only way this will get resolved is by action i.e.

“I have issued an order for all federal agencies assigned by the EPA to cease and assist operations inside the territroy of Texas. If they do not cease operations the State of Texas will remove all personel and infrastructure as the federal government has no authority over enviromental regulation withins the sovereign terrotiy of the state of Texas.”

Meat Fighter on November 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM

In the last twenty years I have not heard a single complaint about corps leaving here for Europe.
Some may go there, I am sure. But I do believe the movement is in a different direction where health care, amoung other things, is a lot less.

Jabberwock on November 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

You got it PM. I’m in.

derft on November 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Good. Here.
-PrepperMark

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

visions on November 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Tell your mom that I want her money.

moonsbreath on November 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

RCP has poll average of Obamacare at 50/44 in favor of repeal, FYI.

Just wait till the massive Medicare cuts kick in.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Hello everyone, I’ve been lurking here for about 3 1/2 years and have learned most of what I know about politics through HA and it’s commenters. I’m worried about the future, but I think now is the time to rally and get ready for what coming next. We can flip this thing around! I was a liberal moron before I started lurking here. I was hunting with my old man one day, and on the way home he started talking about Pelosi, Obama, and the Dems need to control people. When I got home I found this site and became informed about what’s really going on in this country. If I can be flipped…others can be flipped too!

Thanks to Hot Air and the folks comment here.

Scotty J on November 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

We might even become a miserable failing third world country like Canada or Germany or Norway or Sweden.lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Clearly, you are not on the exceptionalism band wagon.

We were not any of those countries before Obama. Why is a good thing to be like them now.

Jabberwock on November 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Look at the exit polls. Romney won the most votes by far from the high cost entitlement crowd- social security and medicare moochers over 65. Kick those people out and most of your moocher problem is resolved.

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You sound just like my mother, who is better able to articulate a proper defense of Christ and the Church than I ever could.

The way this is ending up, there WILL be a schism between these two factions of the Church. At this point… let it happen. I’d rather have a solid core Church tied to the Vatican than have it be continually torn apart by heretics who believe in Nancy Pelosi’s “word.”

Oh, and BTW, the bishops should not only excommunicate Dem Catholic pols like Pelosi and Biden for life, but their entire extended family should be expelled. A clear statement needs to be made here.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The Bark of St. Peter has rode rough seas before and the ship has righted after the storm.

The liberal heresies have been exposed for what they are and the priests who abuse the flock and the liturgy are being expunged. In terms of the Bark it is the ancient enemy in different clothes.

It takes a resolute theologian to combat this evil within the church and outside the church…Sometimes our Popes are peacemakers and sometimes they are warriors and sometimes a bit of both, but they are always shepherds.

If there is a schism it will not come from the American Bishops as they have united with their brother bishops in alliance and obedience to the Bishop of Rome to fight this global assault on the church and her flock. American priests and nuns who schism will be ex-communicated and those Catholics who follow and setup a phony church are condemned as enemies of the Body of Christ.

Schism is the avowed enemnity to the Body of Christ and setting up a phony church pretending to be kinda catholic is sacreligious heresy.

The confusion of moral relativism is these folks think you can make up stuff as you go along which is a very pagan ideology…

Pope Benedict VI has said we will be a smaller but purer church meaning we will be faithful in practice to traditional liturgy,role of the church and unified in our teaching.

Any schism that occurs will not rock the Bark.

We will endure but for American Catholics unaccustomed to oppression by their government, since the cultural memory of this has waned…it will be a bit shocking.

But we have our instructions from Pope Benedict XVI to dissent, to pray, to fight for religious freedom and against intrinsic evil.

We will do this with pastoral guidance from the USCCB.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I might also remind everyone that Republicans hold the House, and the purse strings. They can refuse to fund it (not that they will, since they’ve been funding it all along).

southworth on November 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Please don’t speak of direct-pay practices like that. That’s the last thing we need, since it’s the only medical freedom we have left. As we saw with Lasik, costs will go down as their popularity rises.

So I repeat, demand your reps pass a bill protecting our right to buy our own medical care with our own money, and to protect direct-pay practices.

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Does this mean that women will get their gyno exams at something that resembles the DMV? Why yes, of course! What fun!

All you wimminses that voted for Obama with your lady parts are screwed! Free rubbers courtesy of Sandra Fluke, but you’re screwed.

/You are a pox on our gender.

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I know, right? Barry’s system is fascist, not socialist.

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You dirty, filthy Republican! Stop throwing Granny over the cliff! Death panels! Shame on you, republican meanie~!

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

When the number one cause of bankruptcy goes away…

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Wrong again, Riddler lester. From one of my earlier posts:

Ah yes, the “medical bankruptcies” horse with its boot marks and broken spine and caved-in skull is once again dragged out for more kicking.

Shame the numbers are crap. It’s all Big Scary Monster talk because people can’t grasp numbers…

It’s fine if not because it’s so easy to show the glaring problems. If you’re part of the 50% of the country able to read and comprehend at higher than an 8th grade level, here’s the study:

Seventy-three percent had less than $1000 of medical expenses in the two years leading up to their bankruptcies. Says so in the study. Wait, folks went bankrupt with less than $1000 in medical bills? Wow. But ta-dah, the truth comes out.

In the study, even if the person had $75k on their Sears card and six years left on their Escalade payments, so long as their medical bills were $1010 the study counted them as a “medical bankruptcy” by default. Meaning, approximately, “the numbers are crap.”

A critique by peers says the number of “illness or injury” related bankruptcies is closer to 17%, but let’s go with the study’s 28.3%. Search for it if you don’t believe me. Hint- “Exhibit 2.” Only by lumping everything together (gambling, adoptions (?), deaths) can one reach the dramatic “over half of all” nonsense.

So 1.5 million bankruptcies total in the U.S., and 28.3% of those are directly medically related according to the study….

Or, put another way, all of the real medical bankruptcies wouldn’t be enough to populate Charlotte, so let’s use it as an excuse to change everything for all the other cities and 99.9% rest of the population.

You’ve been, and are being, manipulated…

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

If I can be flipped…others can be flipped too!

Thanks to Hot Air and the folks comment here.

Scotty J on November 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Thanks, Scotty, that is good to hear. (no sarc)
I believe, after this initial shock, we will band together, at the state level or much smaller communities to help each other, thwart government, protect ourselves, and live the way our forefathers intended. Liberty is worth fighting (and dying) for. Hang in there, and thanks for speaking up.

-PrepperMark

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Thanks to Hot Air and the folks comment here.

Scotty J on November 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Thanks Scotty. Put out the word.

derft on November 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Soylent…with just a pinch of salt…is actually quite tasty.

Who knew the elderly were so flavorful?

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Well, if they couldn’t afford to buy health insurance then … how the hell are they going to buy it now?

What will really finish off the democrat party is when we can no longer sustain the massive borrowing and spending. Cuts will have to be made to goodies and since the only reason people vote democrat is goodies … the party will die.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Who knew the elderly were so flavorful?

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The skinny bony ones make great soup.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I know, right? Barry’s system is fascist, not socialist.

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

All hail (heil) the Third Way!

stvnscott on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

And oh yeah, one of my little businesses already does a fair amount of cash transactions and the people we deal with are mostly local. So the feds can pound sand when it comes to that one, I’ll be trading skilled labor for beef, pork, hunting rights, etc.

You want people to go Galt, well Big Daddy, we will find ways to do it.

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Soylent…with just a pinch of salt…is actually quite tasty.

Who knew the elderly were so flavorful?

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

People gotta eat!

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

/You are a pox on our gender.

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Yeah they are…But these wimminz are also the type to sell their virginity to the highest bidder on ebay, demand equal respect and vote for legalizing Pot so the fathers of their bastards are happy and stay at home,become best FB buddies with their kids and if they are older they applaud this behavior as equality or sumthin’

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Soylent…with just a pinch of salt…is actually quite tasty.

Who knew the elderly were so flavorful?

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

People gotta eat!

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What will finish them is when the government starts adding all the new addendums to ObamaCare which restrict the who, what, and when of the care which will be provided.

Soon enough diseases and conditions which were once treatable will become special category 1: Chronic, waste of resources, inform patient to access hospice care.

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Is it wrong for me to wish them nothing but the very worst, short of or including death? Cause that’s where I’m at now.

There’s an estranged friend of mine who’s a committed lib/socialist. I’ve broken off all ties with her and have started a war against her, mostly online. She wants a truce, but not only will I refuse, I will rachet it up to a total persecution of her aiming for total destruction.

That’s how it has to be. No alternative exists.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I tweet (click on my name), and that simulcasts on Facebook, so it’s not like I’ve left that arena completely. To a point. I have some business connections as well as some strident conservatives that I’ve allied with on FB.

But there’s something about gunning for personal revenge and ruining someone’s life that now makes me happy inside. After all, it’s what she voted for. So I’m more than happy to give it to her.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Can I suggest stepping down from that ledge? Obviously, I don’t know the background of this relationship, but from what you’ve posted here, it sounds like you’ve let politics turn you into a nasty piece of work. Would it really be such a bad idea taking a week off or so and cooling down? I was bitterly crushed as well, but it helps to keep in mind we’ve been through bad times before where people thought the end of America was nigh: The civil war, two world wars, the Great Depression, the 70s in general, the cold war. It’s one thing to read about those times with the comfort of knowing that things turned out alright, but to actually live through those times and not know how the story ends, it must have felt about like living through these times.

NukeRidingCowboy on November 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Cool to see how bananas you all have become. Cuckoo’s nest!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I know, right? Barry’s system is fascist, not socialist.

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

All hail (heil) the Third Way!

stvnscott on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Not much difference between the two.

The effect is total bankruptcy…Spirit,Mind,Body and Economy.

“kindly fall neatly into pit”

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Cool to see how bananas you all have become. Cuckoo’s nest!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

This one is Special Category 2: Clinically insane. Possible pervert. Danger to society. Order immediate referral to Room 101.

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

southworth on November 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Just remember to tip the receptionist.
She will be instrumental in misplacing your medical records so that those pesky government bureaucrats ca’n get their hands on them.
$

MichaelGabriel on November 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Because ObamaCare raids Medicare and gives the money to huge insurance and pharma corporations. Seniors hate it most of all.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Cool to see how bananas you all have become. Cuckoo’s nest!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Remember your words when you pay dearly for a banana, no complaining ya hear.

MontanaMmmm on November 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Cool to see how bananas you all have become. Cuckoo’s nest!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

If you could type 5 coherent sentences about the pros and cons of ObamaCare I’d be shocked.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Meat Fighter on November 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I’ve been saying the same thing (almost) for quite some time, although part of my approach would be to chain shut the doors to all their offices with a modest police presence to inform the employees that their services are no longer required. The same with HHS…

affenhauer on November 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I feel so heartbroken over this.

redlucy on November 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM

And if the CDC is compelled to do that ?

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Cool to see how bananas you all have become. Cuckoo’s nest!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

We’ll have the last laugh. Socialists never have the last laugh.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You r so retarded! The head of lettuce I had for lunch has a higher IQ than you.

There are not tens of thousands dying every year for lack of care. Lots of people have no insurance, but they still get care in hospitals, ERs etc or pay for it with good old fashioned Cash.

txdoc on November 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Jabberwock on November 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

…and our problems with our poorly educated workforce are because of greedy teacher unions that control K-12.

slickwillie2001 on November 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Guess what? None of it will come true.

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Well then, there’s nothing to worry about! Takes a load off my chest! Hail Utopia! (and don’t mind those bumps on the road!)

squint on November 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Soylent…with just a pinch of salt…is actually quite tasty.

Who knew the elderly were so flavorful?

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

People gotta eat!

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I feel a song coming on…

People, people who eat people
Are the luckiest people in the world

We’re children eating other children
And yet, letting our grown up pride
Hide all the need inside
Acting more like children than children

Diners, eat very special people
They’re the luckiest people in the world

With one person
One very special person
A feeling deep in your gut says
You were half, now you’re full.

No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person who eats people
People who eat people
Are the luckiest people in the world

With apologies to Andy Williams.

Lily on November 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

txdoc on November 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Just bananas as hell. People pay cash at the emergency room! They have all their money in their mattress!

We’ll have the last laugh. Socialists never have the last laugh.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

What historical events are you basing this on. I’m not a socialist-in fact I am sure your life is littered with mooching-but I don’t really know of any time when…oh wait this is the Dick Morris Rove world view of make stuff up.

Carry on crazies!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

With apologies to Andy Williams.

Lily on November 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

And bah-bah StreisAnd.

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Carry on crazies!

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzz……….

Not a braincell to spare.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

“If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

- Ebenezer Scrooge (Death panel administator for Obamacare)

mechkiller_k on November 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM

And bah-bah StreisAnd.

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Nah, not apologizing to her, she’s a godless commie.

Lily on November 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

We’ll have the last laugh. Socialists never have the last laugh.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I don’t know if that person is socialist or not, but if he is, he’s backing the wrong party. The Democrat Party is full of fascists. See Barry’s Big Fascist Medical System which BigPharma and Big Insurance wrote, his on-going banksta bailouts (in the tens of trillions now via the Fed and Treasury) and his financial “reform” bill that institutionalized the “TBTF,” and BigAg’s Food “safety” bill that O Duce signed into law, to name just a few.

They might not like to hear it, but they are fascists, as are many on the “right.” This is a Fascist country, and it doesn’t take a man in a funny hat to be that.

The test of fascism is not one’s rage against the Italian and German war lords. The test is — how many of the essential principles of fascism do you accept and to what extent are you prepared to apply those fascist ideas to American social and economic life? When you can put your finger on the men or the groups that urge for America the debt-supported state, the autarkical corporative state, the state bent on the socialization of investment and the bureaucratic government of industry and society, the establishment of the institution of militarism as the great glamorous public-works project of the nation and the institution of imperialism under which it proposes to regulate and rule the world and, along with this, proposes to alter the forms of our government to approach as closely as possible the unrestrained, absolute government — then you will know you have located the authentic fascist.

But let us not deceive ourselves into thinking that we are dealing by this means with the problem of fascism. Fascism will come at the hands of perfectly authentic Americans, as violently against Hitler and Mussolini as the next one, but who are convinced that the present economic system is washed up and that the present political system in America has outlived its usefulness and who wish to commit this country to the rule of the bureaucratic state; interfering in the affairs of the states and cities; taking part in the management of industry and finance and agriculture; assuming the role of great national banker and investor, borrowing millions every year and spending them on all sorts of projects through which such a government can paralyze opposition and command public support; marshaling great armies and navies at crushing costs to support the industry of war and preparation for war which will become our greatest industry; and adding to all this the most romantic adventures in global planning, regeneration, and domination all to be done under the authority of a powerfully centralized government in which the executive will hold in effect all the powers with Congress reduced to the role of a debating society. There is your fascist. And the sooner America realizes this dreadful fact the sooner it will arm itself to make an end of American fascism masquerading under the guise of the champion of democracy.
– John T. Flynn, As We Go Marching, 1944

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Don’t forget…Romney flip-flopped and promised everyone “pre-existing conditions” would be covered and “children under 26″ would be covered on their parents health care plans. Typical Republicans…they want the benefits without the pain. Fighting wars without paying for them! Fighting wars while keeping the expenses off the budget! Free drugs for old people..just put it on the tab! Deficits don’t matter (Cheney quote)! Spend..spend…spend..and tax cuts for the rich! Deficits through the roof but once Obama gets elected, everyone who was quiet for 8 years starts to dress up like George Washington and create the Tea Party. Why didn’t any of you call Bush out while he spent like a drunken sailor? The silence was deafening from the right.

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

The silence was deafening from the right.

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Far more deafening from the left now that your deficits are 10x the size since you took over.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

When will you call BHO out on his spending, Zippy the pinhead?

Oh, never? OK, I get it. As long as YOUR guy is destroying the Nation its okay. MMM MMM MMM.

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Can you say, Soviet Union?

riddick on November 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Don’t know , never been there :)…not even to Russia…

jimver on November 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Well, to the whole lot of us with vast experience with this government run health care BS, its a nightmare. My accountant, also ex USSR, and I were just discussing this on Monday night.

All I can tell you from my own experience is that once HusseinCare kicks in you will eventually face same BS we faced back in USSR and today’s Russia. I was infected with someone else’s yellow jaundice when his needle went directly into my vein, no one even thought of sterilizing needles with all the cost cutting. How about root canals with no pain killers? I can tell you some personal horror stories, one after another.

And same as in USSR/Russia health insurance for those in USA government means one thing and very different than for the rest of the us, the “proletariat”.

Absolutely everything you see here in the past few years is taken from the Soviet playbook, exactly. We’re not that far from them these days and something tells me we will get that much closer in the next 4 years.

When you order your Ambassador killed you are not that far off from ordering other citizens to be silenced. What’s a few bodies here and there, its all for the common good, right?

riddick on November 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m not a socialist

tommyhawk on November 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

You support a party that strives for “equality”, “fairness” and redistribution. Those are all basic premises of socialism. Therefore … you are a socialist.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

How has that changed? The senate hasn’t passed a budget in nearly 4 years. Do you think they will in the next 4?

Bush was wrong and the amounts he spent were wrong. How is doubling/tripling down on that by Obama any better. Bush’s last deficit was 400 billion and change. Obama hasn’t had a deficit under 1.2 trillion and change. I’ll give you the 400 billion as structural but that means Obama has increased it between 800 billion and 1 trillion each year. That’s on him.

“math is harder, science is harder and research is hardest of all”

chemman on November 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

A lot of us did but you apparently were pulling an Icabod.

chemman on November 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Rae on November 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

If the shoe fits ….

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

No one said there was an easy route.

Meat Fighter on November 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I think the liberals fear a civil war over states rights…which is why Obama has targeted the economies of Red States.

Unions can’t expand quick enough and many of these states are Right to Work States so he’s targeted their economies using the EPA,DOJ,NLRB,AGR,DOE etc. every weapon in the executive as well as demographic displacement with slack borders.

Fast & Furious was a program designed to accelerate border de-stabilization and migration.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM

When will you call BHO out on his spending, Zippy the pinhead?

Key West Reader on November 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I am for tax increases and spending cuts. Simpson Bowles all the way. Bush tax cuts + no spending cuts = giant deficit. At least you guys seem to realize that you were wrong for not calling Bush out on his BS. There is hope for you.

When economies are plunging toward a depression, you increase spending. That is what economists recommend and that is what Obama did. This will have to change soon.

Simple FACTS:

The deficit fell under Carter
The deficit fell under Clinton
The deficit shot through the roof under Reagan
The deficit shot through the roof under George HW. Bush
The deficit shot through the roof under George W. Bush

You must use Deficit as is relates to GDP! AS soon as you understand that chart, things should make more sense.

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Guess what? None of it will come true.

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Sure….Castro had the same argument.

You are the fool.

This country is a lot bigger then Norway or Sweden or Germany in both population and geography.

In order to manage it the federal government has to destroy state sovereignty guaranteed in our constitution.

If you can’t see that you are blinded by your desire to be europeanish and have bought the lie hook line and sinker.

Europe has never been the answer…and it never will be.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

NukeRidingCowboy on November 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The difference between those previous eras is that, for the first time, a majority of Americans reject the values that made this country great.

Even in the Great Depression and the 1970s, when Socialism was advanced unabated, there was still a common decency and love for this country. And that there were limits to which the government should not intrude upon by those who enabled all this (remember that FDR even thought it was foolish to allow public employee unions!).

My former friend, an alleged history major, is but one of many college Obamabots who bought into the Socialist Kool-Aid hook, line and sinker. In that environment, even if you have rock stars in the conservative movement (Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, Mia Love, Scott Walker) they are denigrated as “square”, “unattractive” and “weird”. They ignore any substance and see genuine scumbags like Obama as “hip”. And that was before Obama imposed the nationalization of the Pell Grant system, which will turn the youth vote into a perpetual Democrat voting bloc.

May they ALL suffer, and suffer dearly, for the rest of their pitiful lives. With some luck (and a mostly full-time job, albeit with zero benefits, no thanks to Obama) I’ll flee the country in search of a better life.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The French system works quite well

Reply:

Princess Dianna disagrees with you.

Man, is that a bad example. She actually had an trauma ambulance specialized with a trauma surgeon on board! Not many surgeons riding around to scenes of accidents here. They did all they could, only one Man I know raises the dead.

Marcus on November 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Do you have any idea what the deficit is?

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I know it’s all worthless monday morning quarterbacking now, but I think Romney really should have done a better job being specific with his plans and proposals.

He was going to “fix” Obamacare…but…how?
He was going to create millions of jobs….but how?

If you think about it he was as much of a hopey-changey candidate as Obama was in 2008. No specifics, just a lot of empty promises.

A plan and agenda is more than just plastering a huge “JOBS” poster on your campaign stops.

tkyang99 on November 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The French system works quite well

Reply:

Princess Dianna disagrees with you.

Marcus on November 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

If she had been treated in the American system she would have survived.

The French don’t transport until they stabilize the patient…she was there too long and she bled out.

Here she gets to a hospital stat…probably by helicopter.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Everyone contact your congressman and let them know you want the Bush tax cuts to expire.

Let it burn.

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The French system works quite well…In France you are assumed guilty until proven innocent.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

He was going to “fix” Obamacare…but…how?
He was going to create millions of jobs….but how?

tkyang99 on November 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Most of us KNEW that about Mitt’s obvious weakness regarding healthcare. But it wasn’t just him: the Heritage Foundation and Newt even supported the Massachusetts model before ultimately disowning it.

In fact, that’s why it took forever for Mitt to get the nomination. But the rest of the field was terrible; no one could stand out for longer than two weeks, if that.

I supported Mitt after he got the nomination, but that was the only real reason at first. My primary vote (in Ohio) was for Santorum.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Isn’t it fun trying to explain to communists that its not what they call themselves, but their actions that define them?

Same crowd that LOVES Che Guevarra while having absolutely no idea the idiot was a full on COMMUNIST killer in Felix Dzerzhinsky mold, killing women and children with relish and just for the fun of it. But when he got caught the idiot monster was pleading for his (miserable) life, on his knees and crying. And I am sure full of urine and turn running down his legs.

BUT… Che is a hero to this stupid, and so badly educated and informed crowd.

riddick on November 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

The French are philosophically backassward and have been since our country was founded.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Really? Really? If that’s true, your poor brain must be spinning after all of last week’s “Romney’s got this election sewn up” posts, given what happened 48 hours ago.

May I respectfully suggest you try a few more other sites if you expect to live an even somewhat-well-informed life?

Drew Lowell on November 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Do you have any idea what the deficit is?

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Crap…you are correct. I was sloppy with my wording. I said deficit but meant debt. They are related of course. The chart shows debt which was the main point I was making.

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

So, I bid you the fondest of farewells – the best outcome for each of you in these challenging times and my prayers for your well being. God bless you all –

natasha333 on November 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

You will be missed natasha333….a reprieve from all of this is good and necessary for us all from time to time. I hope someday you will be able to return. God be with you.

lynncgb on November 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Exactly. We should all remember we had a horrible field and we ended up running someone who was even less appealing than McShame!

So why get so worked up about it? Did the Dems despair after they ran Dukakis or Kerry and rightly lost? No they made sure to pick a much stronger candidate next time. Dukakis led to Clinton and Kerry led to Obama.

tkyang99 on November 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

riddick on November 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

They’re so uninformed that they have absolutely no idea they’re being used by socialists and communists to kill capitalism.

Bill Ayers even crows about how he wants to see capitalism dead before he dies yet these morons can’t figure it out.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Plays into another of my theories.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM

When push comes to shove Democrats will reward big labor instead of the “social safety net. Much to the horror of the true believers. We will see this happen in short order in California. Democrats have super majorities in both houses of the legislature. They are unbound, free to tax and spend at will. Problem is they will chase away the tax base. Then they’ll pass broad base taxes, or plans, or fees whatever the newspeak becomes. Case in point:

Theworldisnotenough on November 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

National debt should be zero. We should never borrow except in cases of dire threats to the nation … meaning war. Depressions and recessions are normal cycles and the best way to get out of one is to stop spending and lower taxes. Let people keep more of their own damn money. It does not belong to the government.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The autopsy showed as I recall her vena cava was torn from her heart. Quit French doctor bashing.

Marcus on November 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

natasha333 on November 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

So, I may comment here and there, but I won’t be visiting nearly as often.

To all of you who comment, I have learned so much from you over the past few years, you have enriched my life beyond measure.

God bless you all.

herm2416 on November 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Beautifully stated, both of you. God bless you both and may all of His blessings be with you and your families always. His Love endures all.

I’ll miss you.