Onward, ObamaCare

posted at 2:21 pm on November 8, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

ObamaCare is no longer merely looming — it’s happening, and with the certainty that the health care law is here to stay, the federal bureaucracy is readying to unleash the floodgates of regulation-writing and logistical planning and make it rain on the health-care industry, the states, and the economy at large. Let the good times roll, via the WSJ:

When the law was passed in March 2010, legislators envisaged it extending coverage to 30 million Americans through a combination of state-run insurance exchanges where consumers could apply for federal tax credits toward the cost of premiums, and an expansion of the federal-state Medicaid program for low-income Americans.

Before that can happen, though, significant regulations must start flooding from Washington, including rules for how states and the federal government will operate new health-insurance exchanges where consumers can shop for policies.

Also expected are rules spelling out the terms on which insurers must accept all customers regardless of their medical history, rules governing how insurers can vary premiums based on age and more information about new requirements on employers and individuals to buy insurance.

While certain states have already made decisions about whether they will be setting up their own state insurance exchanges or allowing the federal government to run things on their behalf, others were waiting out the election, and now it’s crunch time to get things set up before the October 1st, 2013 date by which people should be able to start signing up for their new insurance options. With Republican governors running the majority of the states, the question is, refuse to participate in Obama’s scheme and let the feds run everything, or take on the task of creating your own exchange and mitigate the costs as much as possible? Via the Associated Press:

Some, like Rick Perry of Texas and Rick Scott of Florida, have drawn a line against helping carry out Obama’s law. … Missouri voters passed a ballot measure Tuesday that would prohibit establishment of a health insurance exchange unless the Legislature approves. …

… All eyes will be on pragmatists like Chris Christie of New Jersey and Bob McDonnell of Virginia, whose states have done considerable planning of their own to set up exchanges. …

On health insurance exchanges, some governors whose states aren’t likely to be completely ready are considering the administration’s offer of running the new markets through a partnership. …

A recent check by The Associated Press found 17 states and the District of Columbia on track to setting up their own exchanges, while nine have decided not to do so. The federal government could end up running the new markets in half or more of the states.

There is much administrative planning and social engineering still to figure out, but we can with certainty look forward to a lot more of this, again from the WSJ piece:

Jim Amos, CEO of frozen dessert franchiser Tasti D-Lite LLC, said employers who had been holding back on deciding how to respond to new requirements to provide insurance to full-time workers would now move ahead. “If you’re in a position where you want to move people from full-time to part-time jobs, you’re going to begin to do that,” he said, referring to a tactic some employers have tested to avoid the coming insurance requirements.

It’s already begun, via CBS:

A Las Vegas business owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

“David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5 KXNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.” …

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote. I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first. I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that [I] made sure they were paid. And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Simple FACTS:

The deficit fell under Carter
The deficit fell under Clinton
The deficit shot through the roof under Reagan
The deficit shot through the roof under George HW. Bush
The deficit shot through the roof under George W. Bush

You must use Deficit as is relates to GDP! AS soon as you understand that chart, things should make more sense.

ZippyZ on November 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Simple fact: you’re a moron who doesn’t know the simple difference between the debt and deficit.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Sad but TRUE! Wanna really mess with it?

Ask it to define the difference between a tax cut and a tax RATE cut.

ROFL

Katfish on November 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Even in the Great Depression and the 1970s, when Socialism was advanced unabated, there was still a common decency and love for this country. And that there were limits to which the government should not intrude upon by those who enabled all this (remember that FDR even thought it was foolish to allow public employee unions!).

You can always find differences between one time and another, but nothing you’ve pointed out is that compelling. Sure, FDR was wiser than Obama and most of the modern Democrat party about public employee unions, but now you have even Jerry Brown, Andrew Cuomo, and Rahm Emanuel fighting them to some degree. On the other hand, Obama, for all his faults, was wise enough to not slaughter millions of pigs while people are going hungry in the name of economic recovery. Back then, people were more decent in some ways, but at the same time, blacks were treated like dirt and eugenics was the latest fad among the intelligentsia.

My former friend, an alleged history major, is but one of many college Obamabots who bought into the Socialist Kool-Aid hook, line and sinker. In that environment, even if you have rock stars in the conservative movement (Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, Mia Love, Scott Walker) they are denigrated as “square”, “unattractive” and “weird”. They ignore any substance and see genuine scumbags like Obama as “hip”. And that was before Obama imposed the nationalization of the Pell Grant system, which will turn the youth vote into a perpetual Democrat voting bloc.

Ruining her life won’t accomplish anything except perhaps scare her away from even considering conservatism when she grows up and starts seeking more substance.

May they ALL suffer, and suffer dearly, for the rest of their pitiful lives. With some luck (and a mostly full-time job, albeit with zero benefits, no thanks to Obama) I’ll flee the country in search of a better life.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

In all reality, they’ll probably go on and be happy with their lives no matter what you do.

NukeRidingCowboy on November 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

OT, but my heart hurts …..

Massive cuts in just 48 hours.

And a couple of FB libbies who work in retail are complaining about so many customers being in such a cranky mood today.
Well, gee, I dunno !!!!!!!!! (I’m restraining myself)

pambi on November 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

OT, but my heart hurts …..

Massive cuts in just 48 hours.

Well, gee, I dunno !!!!!!!!! (I’m restraining myself)

pambi on November 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Wow, great link. I knew about Boeing, but wow:

William Florence Jr. @stuffyhead9
45 companies announce layoff’s in the past 48 hours! This is what the people wanted! The people have spoken!

Dark_Red_Hair @Dark_Red_Hair
IN PAST 48 HRS, FOLLOWING COs ANNOUNCED LAYOFFS (cont): Ericsson, Bristol-Myers, corning, Boston Scientific, Abbott Labs, St. Jude, (cont)

Dark_Red_Hair @Dark_Red_Hair
IN PAST 48 HRS, FOLLOWING COs ANNOUNCED LAYOFFS (cont): Caterpillar, CVPH Medical Center, Lightyear Haqwker Beechcraft, Hawker Beechcraft

FAM Blog @famblog
Welcome to Obamaville: Pepsi looking to layoff 4,000 workers bit.ly/Z8ApDF #tcot #tlot

FREEDOM \☺/ FTW @freedomforthwin
The Axe Falls: Bristol-Myers To Cut Nearly 500 Jobs j.mp/PHK5n8

Jeff Grubb @jeffreysgrubb
Research in Motion lays off workers at US HQ in TX bit.ly/WDjrjp | Welcome to BO’s 2nd term and don’t expect it to get better. #tlot

Shefali Budhwani @sbudhwani
Groupon lays off 80 sales employees chicagotribune.com/business/break… #groupon #layoff

stevenfoley @stevenfoley
The Layoff Report: Boeing: Boeing has announced plans to cut $1.6 billion of costs in its defense divis… bit.ly/TbJLuY #tcot

STLBusinessJournal @stlbj
Energizer Holdings to lay off 1,500, close 3 plants bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2… via @GWeiderman

And there’s more.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

And there’s more.

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

They were all waiting on the election, now they know.

Add to that Microsoft, just announced its first hiring freeze in 10 years, the place is usually swimming in new hires.

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

To anyone with Lupus or a similarly severe condition, it’s a well-known fact of life in the USA.

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

And again, no mention of her pursuing SS disability:

The Social Security Administration recognizes systemic lupus erythematosus as a potentially disabling illness and includes SLE in their listing of impairments.

Feel free to try again.

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Silence, no response.

When the number one cause of bankruptcy goes away…

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Wrong again, Riddler lester…

…Seventy-three percent had less than $1000 of medical expenses in the two years leading up to their bankruptcies…

In the study, even if the person had $75k on their Sears card and six years left on their Escalade payments, so long as their medical bills were $1010 the study counted them as a “medical bankruptcy” by default. Meaning, approximately, “the numbers are crap.”…

You’ve been, and are being, manipulated…

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Silence, no response.

In this country, you’re either for or against Obamacare, there’s no depth or real substance to the debate. It’s really unfortunate.

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Indeed.

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

If you want a window into the mind of zippyz, go look at his youtube channel. Not only is he a mental invalid and a moral reprobate, he has horrible taste in music.

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

NukeRidingCowboy on November 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I would be safe in saying that the changes of that happening are the square root of a negative integer.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

“I love Obama because now I get health care even though I’m unemployed.”

“Why are you unemployed?”

“I got laid off because my employer can’t afford to pay for Obamacare.”

The Rogue Tomato on November 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM

So, I may comment here and there, but I won’t be visiting nearly as often.
God bless you all.

herm2416 on November 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

We will miss your visits. It’s a good time for a break from politics…and I hope you will find new joys in these difficult times. May blessings abound for you and yours.

lynncgb on November 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Second First look at the power of the 10th Amendment?

RedNewEnglander on November 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM

My company is a medical device manufacturer – a group singled out by Obamacare for a 2.3% excise tax beginning next year, right off the top – on gross revenues – not net, not income, not profit – on revenue.

We estimate that will cost us $2million next year.

In the budget process now, we are discussing how much research and development has to be cut, which departments have to cut more employees, how much we have to increase prices to our customers, etc.

All of which is great for a) advancements in medicine, b) reducing the cost of healthcare, and c) the economy/employment scenarios, right? Right?

I mean, we live in LeftistWorld now, so this is supposed to make sense, right?

Midas on November 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

pambi on November 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I want you all to look carefully at those Boeing cuts.
They AREN’T hourly line workers.

Those are highly educated, highly paid middle management types.

I wondered today, if all of our hourly people might get put onto 30hr weeks(to be considered part time), and adjust the shifts accordingly. If this is feasible, we may well see a drop in unemployment, as we would need to hire another crew to work an adjoining shift (or to cover 6 day weeks, i.e. each shift works 3x 10hr days).

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Obamacare is a fact of life and all seniors will now have shorter lives thanks to the death panels. All countries, all of them, with national health care have death panels for seniors. We will not be the expection. Sooner or later all of us will come under their perview and pay the penalty enacted by Obama’s reelection. A pox on all their houses.

polarglen on November 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM

From ABC News:

Asked whether he will make another attempt to fully repeal the Affordable Care Act, Boehner said “the election changes that” and “Obamacare is the law of the land.”

It is a good thing he, Boehner, wasn’t a legislator when Plessy V. Ferguson was the “law of the land”

Conservative4Ever on November 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

polarglen on November 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I’m ready to go to jail as a political prisoner.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Per John Boehner tonight:

Still, there are some parts of the law, he said, that should be on the table as lawmakers work toward a balanced budget.

John Boehner needs to go NOW. He is a very large part of the problem. He can also take Canter along with him. Apparently, they will defend nothing.

diogenes on November 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

diogenes on November 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Wake me up when that happens. Or when Boehner’s spray-on wears off.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Those are highly educated, highly paid middle management types.
orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ok, but I don’t want to misinterpret what you’re saying. The point ?
My son is one of those, only @ Lockheed.

I agree that American business folks are going to have to get very creative to keep up ANY sort of production, stay open, prevent layoffs.
‘Course, then we’ll be vilified for cutting hours, etc. etc.
Arrghh.

pambi on November 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM

That is priceless.

manyears on November 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Obamacare by itself is a nation destroyer. A total ticket canceler from which there is no recovery. Hundreds of thousands of government employees (as well as hundreds of cottage industries) will become totally dependent upon this Godzilla for their existence. Any subsequent attempts to remove it will be politically opposed by those dependent on it and it will become an unremovable entitlement.

Obamacare itself will destroy medicine as we know it-There will be fewer doctors who will administer less care to more people. Expenses will skyrocket and service and quality will plummet.Vital life saving procedures or medicines will be denied by Death Panels. One can only hope that the vast majority of those denied live in the perfidious swing states.This curse will be Obama’s enduring legacy and we have Obama, Judge Roberts, New Hampshire, Virginia, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, Iowa, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin to thank for it.

MaiDee on November 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM

“I love Obama because now I get health care even though I’m unemployed.”

“Why are you unemployed?”

I got laid off because my No one is hiring because employers can’t afford to pay for Obamacare.”

The Rogue Tomato on November 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM

FIFY-For the new college grads.

talkingpoints on November 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Ok, but I don’t want to misinterpret what you’re saying. The point ?

pambi on November 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Its one thing to layoff the hourly line workers, another to start dropping middle managers. Companies usually have large investments in the management staff, in time, training, schooling, lost meeting time, etc.

Usually these stories never mention it, but this one did. Some will goto commercial, but the profit margins in commercial ops are a lot lower than DoD.

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I work for a small healthcare company with just over 300 employees. A few weeks ago they converted 3/4 of our (salaried) employees to hourly. (I’m in App Dev, and I’m still salaried.) They are still at 40 hours, but I don’t think that will last forever. Our owner is very smart, worked as a lawyer in the healthcare industry for decades, and read the entire law. She knows what she’s doing.

dominigan on November 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Companies have already laid off people to avoid the stinging penalties inhereent in Obamacare. Obama supporters, generally, were those most dependent on economic recovery. You have cut your own throats.As welfare goes so go jobs-in the OPPOSITE direction.

MaiDee on November 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM

orbitalair on November 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM

The hourly workers are kept because you can drop them down to 30 hours a week and minimize the Obamacare costs. Salaried are another story. The fact that this specifically mentions laying off middle-management instead of hourly, tells me it was to prepare for Obamacare.

dominigan on November 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The autopsy showed as I recall her vena cava was torn from her heart. Quit French doctor bashing.

Marcus on November 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I’m not bashing French doctors…I’m bashing a Backassward French System.

How long did she sit in that car by the way?

12:23am – car crashes

12:30am – Police arrive

1:00am – she’s removed from car

1:18am – placed in ambulance

1:41am – ambulance departs scene

2:06am – ambulance arrives at hospital

4:00am – she dies

At the scene of the crash she was stunned but conscious.

2 hours to get to a hospital i a major metropolitian city is a backassward system.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Chuck Schick on November 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Obama and his useful idiots will blame these layoffs on republican revenge….as if Businesses hasn’t been warning about this.

workingclass artist on November 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Question. I’ve been reading a bit today. ObamaCare seems to allow, as we know, the President to give waivers. What stops a future conservative President from just issuing permanent waivers to all business/states? Anybody know the answer to this?

JellyToast on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

JellyToast on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Will never happen, even if we’re lucky. You’d have to elect Rasputin or outlaw all liberal/socialists from running for any office.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Don’t discount the impact that age and experience on one’s thinking. Many famous conservative and libertarian thinkers were leftists in their youth before being mugged by reality- Milton Friedman, FA Hayek, Thomas Sowell, David Horowitz, and so on.

NukeRidingCowboy on November 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

From ABC News:

Conservative4Ever on November 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

They can deny funding for exchanges can’t they? They can go after the death panels – After all, a large number of liberal democrats and groups that supported OCare are now calling for repeal of the IPAB.

Yet, another member of the politburo whose got his and could care about ours.

JFS61 on November 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

JellyToast on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

That is a nice idea. But by the time we could have a conservative President, even if it were in four years, it would already be too late, as the workings(or non-workings as the case may be) of Obamacare would be so fully entrenched into the system it would be nearly impossible to go back to something sensible.

Sterling Holobyte on November 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM

JellyToast on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

That is a nice idea. But by the time we could have a conservative President, even if it were in four years, it would already be too late, as the workings (or non-workings as the case may be) of Obamacare would be so fully entrenched into the system it would be nearly impossible to go back to something sensible.

Sterling Holobyte on November 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM

A President Romney could have immediately issued waivers to anyone that wanted them, but the waiver just covers one problem, the low-paid employee mini-plan request. But a Republican president could wreck Obamacare via all the lines in the 2400-page bill where it says “the secretary shall determine”, or set, or decide, etc, which are hundreds of decision points.

Any future Republican president can do that if Obamacare survives, but whether that president would be willing to take such a guerilla approach to Obamacare in 2017 is debatable.

slickwillie2001 on November 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

BTW I followed you on Twitter.

txhsmom on November 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

JFS61 on November 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

They do? Who are they? We should contact them, as well as the Republicans, and ask them to work together to get rid of the damn thing. That would be a start.

Another idea hit me, and it may be too simplistic so you will have to forgive me if is. But couldn’t the government “re-introduce” Obamacare to be reviewed(this time they should read it), revised, and re-introduced with changes that everyone will be, at least, ok with?
I know, they probably wouldn’t, since they already passed it, and they would be too afraid to take it off the table because it is the democrats’ big overstuffed baby, but maybe if they were pressured to do this by the electorate…. If it is true that a majority of citizens(including doctors and other healthcare professionals) didn’t want this plan as presented, even some democrats, then wouldn’t they HAVE to listen to us?? Shouldn’t we MAKE them listen to us??

I’m sorry, but I am just trying to think of anything to stop this travesty to our republic from happening. There’s got to be a way.

Sterling Holobyte on November 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Don’t have all the names offhand – I know Loretta Sanchez of California spoke against it, Barney Frank (believe or not) supported repeal prior to his retirement, the AMA and other various medical and doctor groups has called for it as well. The ones standing in the way are Senate Dems like Rockefeller and Reid, and of course the President. It funny how they keep saying it won’t be a death panel, but the guiding force behind it was the creator of the British death panel, NICE.

JFS61 on November 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

BTW I followed you on Twitter.

txhsmom on November 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Thank you! :)

I may talk about really mundane stuff at times, but it goes to show I’m not all-politics, all-the-time.

Myron Falwell on November 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

For those of you that need a break from the madness-
Please get in the key of C for this special rendition of an Ode to Obamacare…. huummm… everybody ready? OK…

And It’s 1, 2, 3 what are we fighting for – don’t ask me I don’t give a damn this stop is Obamaland – and it’s 5, 6, 7 open up the pearly gates, ain’t no time to wonder why, whoopie they’ll help you die.

“Don’t bogart that joint my friend” to follow as a heart rendering rendition encore

Yet in the meantime let’s reflect and take a trip down memory lane

Night all

wubu on November 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

…Lupus…

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Silence, no response.

…bankruptcies…

lester on November 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Silence, no response.

rogerb on November 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Still nothing. Twelve hours later and the thread is dead. It’s funny, but I just realized this:

bayam on November 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

is exactly like the mentality that forced Obamacare through, locking doors to keep people who disagreed out and not allowing time to fully read, digest, and discuss the bill before passing it.

Depth/substance = agree with me, my terms, only talk about the subject in ways I want to, and don’t challenge my preconceptions, citations, justifications, or general premise.

There’s no substance or depth to the debate because you choose that, bayam.

Well done. Bill Gates would be proud.

rogerb on November 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Yeah we’re a bunch of lying, snooping, intrusive, law breaking bunch of scum bags. What are you gonna do about it? Corrupt Liberal Media has our back, you’ve got a bunch of old GOP dogs who have learned to bend over & take it.

RdLake on July 29, 2013 at 6:52 AM