‘Innocence of Muslims’ filmmaker sentenced to a year in prison for ‘parole violation’

posted at 1:31 pm on November 8, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Ed touched on this earlier, but I wanted to tease it out a little.

One reason to look forward to a Republican president would have been that people might start finding stuff like this outrageous again:

The California man behind an anti-Muslim film that roiled the Islamic world was sentenced Wednesday to a year in prison for violating his probation stemming from a 2010 bank fraud conviction by lying about his identity.

U.S. District Court Judge Christina Snyder immediately sentenced Mark Basseley Youssef after he admitted to four of the eight alleged violations, including obtaining a fraudulent California driver’s license. Prosecutors agreed to drop the other four allegations under an agreement with Youssef’s attorneys, which also included more probation.

All the news accounts about Mark Basseley Youssef/Nakoula Basseley Nakoula’s arrest and sentencing assure us that the charges are “unrelated” or “had nothing to do with” the content of the YouTube film, “Innocence of Muslims.”

Never mind there was a national media manhunt for the man behind the movie, federal officers taking him in for questioning, a concerted effort by national officials to blame violence on the making of the video, a taxpayer-funded apology to the people of Pakistan for one of our citizens’ creative endeavors, and an alleged promise from the Secretary of State to make sure the maker of the film was “prosecuted.”

Prosecutors, who should have kept their noses and the First Amendment clean by sticking strictly with Youssef’s alleged probation violations, nonetheless brought up the film in court.

Dugdale said authorities have not been able to establish definitively who posted it online. (This was the original justification for the probation violation arrest. —Ed.) The film portrays Muhammad as a religious fraud, womanizer and pedophile.

He argued Youssef’s lies about his identity have caused harm to others, including the film’s cast and crew. Deadly violence related to the film broke out on Sept. 11 and spread to many parts of the Middle East.

“They had no idea he was a recently released felon,” Dugdale said Wednesday. “Had they known that, they might have had second thoughts” about being part of the film.

Youssef’s defense lawyer concludes:

Defense lawyer Steven Seiden told reporters after Wednesday’s hearing that the government was using its probation case to punish Youssef for making the film, thus chilling his client’s constitutional rights to freedom of expression.

“This hearing had everything to do with the movie,” he said.

I guess he’s lucky he didn’t get two years for his probation violation offensive speech:

Federal authorities initially sought a two-year sentence for Youssef but settled on a one-year term after negotiating a deal with Youssef’s attorneys. Prosecutors said they wouldn’t pursue new charges against Yousseff – namely making false statements – and would drop the remaining four probation-violation allegations leveled against him. But Youssef was placed on four years’ probation and must be truthful about his identity and his future finances.

Seiden asked that his client be placed under home confinement, but Snyder denied that request. Youssef will spend his time behind bars at a Southern California prison.

For a federal government not interested in punishing anyone for creating a film, they sure have a lot of “authorities” dedicated to sussing out the details of its making and dissemination:

Federal authorities have said they believe Youssef is responsible for the film, but they haven’t said whether he was the person who posted it online.

Youssef’s lawyer says he wrote the script and may have served as a “cultural consultant,” but didn’t upload the video, which was the original justification for his arrest. It sounds like getting a fake California driver’s license is a violation probably worth punishing a convicted fraud for, but he was apprehended by federal authorities with probation violation as mere fig leaf. Throwing him in jail does far more harm to free speech than it does to spare society from Youssef’s potential next deception. Judges have discretion for a reason. I make no claim to legal expertise, but can’t the actors involved seek some kind of civil solution in the courts instead of criminal, if indeed they were harmed? Update: They already are.

At the time of his arrest in September, attorneys who know this type of law suspected probation officials were getting all sorts of guidance from highly placed federal officials because of the “international complexity” of the case:

“This case breaks the mold,” said Mark Werksman, a defense attorney in Los Angeles and a former federal prosecutor. “If the video hadn’t gone viral, and caused the Arabic world to blow up, who would care if this guy is using YouTube? It’s all about politics with this guy.”

Lawyers also noted at the time that suspected probation violations are generally handled by probation officers, who submit a confidential report to a judge, who can then determine what punishment if any is warranted. This case was handled…differently:

“Usually the probation officer will be most interested in preventing him from engaging in any kind of activity related to the original crime, so another factor would be what kind of permission did the probation officer give him?” she said. “Why would (the film) be of concern in a bank fraud case? That’s a whole nother wrinkle.”

Youssef’s parting words:

“The one thing he wanted me to tell all of you is President Obama may have gotten Osama bin Laden, but he didn’t kill the ideology,” Seiden said.

Asked what that meant, Seiden said, “I didn’t ask him, and I don’t know.”

Good thing. The answer could be a “parole violation.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

America, I hardly knew ye :(

changer1701 on November 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

We are living under de-facto sharia law.

“The future does not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam.”

This is not America.

Rebar on November 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

What sentence did Corzine get for his criminality? Hellloooooo……..

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Middle East problem solved.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

And, obamasharia begins to take hold.

Pork-Chop on November 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

4 dead Americans
1 film maker in jail
Obama is re-elected.

God Save America

SmallGovtGuy on November 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Thuggery is behind this. Nothing else.

We have a bunch of dead Americans whose rescuers were told to “stand down”. THAT is a serious crime.

HotAirian on November 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I can’t wait until all these college women who think their getting free contraceptives and abortions are forced to live under Sharia Law. “It’s a cookbook!”

lea on November 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Islam on the march. Sharia compliance on the march.

This is Obama.

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

The media burying this story may have been more chilling than the blackout over Benghazi. At least that got some mention in the press. There was almost nothing on this, even on FoxNews. This is the end result of decades of political correctness run amuck.

Doughboy on November 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

IIRC, didn’t dear hill tell one of the family members killed in benghazi that bho/hill/team were going to see to it this man got blame for the killings by his film?

I wonder if those in dc that are holding hearings on benghazi could get with this man for his input in the killings?
L

letget on November 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Is it possible to be mad about the administration lying and blaming the riots on this guy’s movie and at the same time be fine with seeing him punished for violating parole?

Yes, the way he was prosecuted was differently due to political crap, but he still violated his parole, so I don’t find it “outrageous” that he’s going to jail.

John_Locke on November 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Republican presidents support fraud? Nice job in trying to unwrap a baked pretzel look.

You just will never, ever get it, will you?

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

What sentence did Corzine get for his criminality? Hellloooooo……..

Bishop on November 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Oh, c’mon. What’s a little billion-dollar theft between friends?

After all, corzine was a bundler for barry. That outweighs everything.

Solaratov on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

While I agree with all previous posters’ attitude towards the regime, it should be pointed out that the guy in question is, in fact, an actual lawbreaker, not a victim of political persecution. The real problem is not him being targeted, but thousands of others not being targeted – such as, for example, most Obama cabinet members.

Archivarix on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Islam on the march. Sharia compliance on the march.

This is Obama.

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You should come to Orange County. All Muslim women where headgear.

I’m actually more worried Obama pushing a UN tax, world global warming tax or something.

Oil Can on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Does anyone to venture a guess as to what would happen if Terrorists set off a Nuc. In a West coast port with threats of setting off a second with demand of the dear ruler that we submit to sharia law through the land?

Galt2009 on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I know it’s technically not a “fruit of the poisonous tree” scenario, but it sure feels like one. They never would have found any of that other stuff if they hadn’t wrongfully gone after him for the video in the first place. I know he’s different since on probabtion, but just seems wrong.

nextgen_repub on November 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The California man behind an anti-Muslim film that roiled the Islamic world was sentenced Wednesday to a year in prison for violating his probation in order to cover for an incompetent President and Sec of State

Fixed that for you.

Alabama Infidel on November 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM

John_Locke on November 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Most parole violations, depending on the type, first get a call from a officer to meet with them Monday thru Friday. Not waken up on early Sunday with 4 officers.

Oil Can on November 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Everyone needs to contact their congressman and let them know they need to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire.

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

You just will never, ever get it, will you?

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Your comment made zero sense. We will never get it, if you don’t post cogent thoughts.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

You should come to Orange County. All Muslim women where headgear.

Oil Can on November 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I live in a rich white area. I see women in bags every day. They must walk three or more steps behind their owner/husband. We have several mosques and islamic information centers.

I learned all I needed to know about Islam and mohammedians from the Achille Lauro hijacking

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM

“Obama must do what we say” — Muslim Brotherhood

Welcome to China and the Middle East, America.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. Why prolong the inevitable?

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Freedom of speech? Not here. Can’t wait till it becomes a hate crime for speaking views.

mrscullen on November 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Sean Smith, Glen Doughty, Tyrone Woods, and Amb. Chris Stevens remain unavailable for comment.

kingsjester on November 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM
nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

We can’t afford to pay for those tax cuts you rethuglikkkan wingnuts!

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

It may be chilling now, but in a year it will be common.

MikeA on November 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Note the date, the day after Nov. 6, 2012.

Today the Chinese congress convened, to talk about the US debt, dollar, etc. It could affect everything, especially the price of AU.

In the process, they locked up anyone ‘suspect’, just to “be safe”.

They also ordered the taxi drivers to stand still and keep their windows up, no kidding.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

lea on November 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I suppose having one’s clitoris forcibly removed might cause some second thoughts.

a capella on November 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. Why prolong the inevitable?

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Cash out and close all savings accounts. Put your cash in safe deposit box. Hurt the banks. I am going to go squeeze my local government for whatever benefits I am qualified for and I suggest everyone do the same. 2013 should be the year we break this system.

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Caveat – this is no defense of the regime.

Nakoula (or whatever his real name is) is a scumbag. He’s a career conman. KFI Los Angeles tried tracking him down for days after the riots in Egypt. Reporter Steve Gregory found him at his house where he lied about his identity. There’s some speculation that this film was merely a scam to attract investors, then claim it bombed a la “The Producers”. Don’t shed any tears for the filmmaker.

Did the regime use him as a fall man to demonstrate their cowering deference to Islam? It appears so.

Kungfoochimp on November 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

What if you are in a solid credit union where you are part owner?

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I’m looking forward to King Obama’s announcement of his Secret Police Czar.

JPeterman on November 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

4 dead Americans
1 film maker in jail
Obama is re-elected.

God Save America

SmallGovtGuy on November 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The media is swimming in pools of blood. Proud of their crime.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Muhammad (((:~{>
Muhammad with sand in his eye (((;~{>
Muhammad with a bomb in his turban. *@(((:~{>>
Muhammad getting teabagged 3(((:~{>
Muhammad under attack by the starship Enterprise =-o * * * (((:~{>

Are they coming for me yet or shall I keep going?

Alberta_Patriot on November 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Kungfoochimp on November 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Well, that and Barry’s shameful speech to the UN are setting the stage for a worldwide UN driven antiblasphemy law aimed at silencing any criticism of Islam. This is all just foreplay. Preparing the masses.

a capella on November 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Caveat – this is no defense of the regime.

Kungfoochimp on November 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

It would probably all be legal if was a senator, like inside trading.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

What if you are in a solid credit union where you are part owner?

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Then cool.

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Put your cash in safe deposit box.

What would keep bho’s nasty bunch from getting into deposit boxes if they think there might be cash/whatever in them? I have a friend that works for a bank and he told me, true or not, the bank he works for has said that this just might happen with new rules from bhocare? AS I said, I don’t know if true or not?

We are taking our money out and seeing to it the feds can’t get to it!
L

letget on November 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Get some gold , they cant print that.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM

HotAirheads are now moving firmly into down-in-the-Führerbunker-the-Russians-are-at-the-gate territory.

Absolutely crazy stuff. You are seriously trying to refashion a convicted fraudster who violated his parole into some kind of hero artiste? Sorry, there is no conspiracy.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

This is another great example of where the DNC is vulnerable – free speech. However, it works both ways – if the GOP is to embrace liberty they must support all free speech.

MoreLiberty on November 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

We are taking our money out and seeing to it the feds can’t get to it!
L

I am investing in a good safe. My wife and I are also cutting every bit of discretionary spending and using it for food storage. In fact, I called my local government offices and discovered if I reduce my annual income to $49,000 I can apply for free healthcare for my children and be eligible for $300/mo food stamps. No kidding. I wanted to know what the threshold was. Amazing. I am in Lucas County, Ohio.

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Done. My wife and I pulled our savings out of the bank in March. Like you’re going to be able to get your cash out when people run on the banks….

MoreLiberty on November 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’m concerned about the impact on free speech.
At the same time, the guy is a criminal scumbag with a long list of felony convictions including meth manufacturing, bank fraud, and identity theft, and has been in jail before for probation violations. Seems he’s a guy who got legitimately busted, but for the wrong motivations.

AngusMc on November 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I thought I was the only one. We’re already talking on line other places about this.

Break it.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

MoreLiberty on November 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

We see free speech in action with Hot Air’s closed registration. You people are terrified of free speech, unless it’s what you want to hear and, ergo, not free.

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

he should have said he was an ILLEGAL ALIEN…..would have been cleared of all charges immediately…..

SDarchitect on November 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Guys, he violated the law.

Send all the law breakers to jail.

A Axe on November 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Absolutely crazy stuff. You are seriously trying to refashion a convicted fraudster who violated his parole into some kind of hero artiste? bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

You have a Che T shirt don’t you? C’mon, ‘fess up now.

a capella on November 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

In Barry’s Cairo speech he lathered on the ‘nations shouldn’t impose on other nations’ malarky pretty thick, and now he’s imposing sharia law on America.

Urban Infidel on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

We know that you moron. Ask yourself who else goes from 0-60 with arrest, trail and sentencing that freaking fast. If you don’t think this wasn’t politically motivated, you’re even more stupid or more partisan than I thought before.

Now, we see the left screaming for freaking “instant” justice.

And you were talking about pretzel logic?

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Butbutbutbut… Romney = Obama. They’re exactly the same, right?

kim roy on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Send all the law breakers to jail.

I like your way of thinking, but almost ALL bho/team and most in dc would be in jail?
L

letget on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Muhammad (((:~{>
Muhammad with sand in his eye (((;~{>
Muhammad with a bomb in his turban. *@(((:~{>>
Muhammad getting teabagged 3(((:~{>
Muhammad under attack by the starship Enterprise =-o * * * (((:~{>

Are they coming for me yet or shall I keep going?

Alberta_Patriot on November 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I rewatched the Ezra Levant in the star chamber videos last night. He was hauled in before a nameless faceless beuarocrat in a non-descript meeting room to defend his intentions when he printed a mohamet cartoon. Really interesting.

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

trial …

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

He wasn’t banned from a website , he was jailed.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Anyone who uses the term “Christian Taliban” needs to be laughed out of the room.

The “film” thing was attempt was an attempt at soft sharia by the WH to appease the Muslim world. Eventually the exposure of Benghazi undid this heinous plan; well, except for Basseley Youssef. The WH will try again.

mwbri on November 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

FREE MUMIA!!

CurtZHP on November 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Break it.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Seriously, even if people only qualify for < $100/mo in something, do it. Toledo just passed all the pork levies and property taxes. I am going to go recoup that and see if we can break even. I bet we can.

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

We see lunatic leftist retarded troll-controll in action with Hot Air’s closed registration.

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

FTFY.

Unfortunately, it has to be backed up with active mods, which we basically do not have anymore.

MelonCollie on November 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

And ignore the double negative.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

And yet, here your dumb ass is, talking sh** and confusing freedom of speech with entitlement to someone else’s privately paid-for forum.

M240H on November 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

This is a high profile example of the police state.

Thin Thread flew under 99% of people’s radars.

The Program Manager for Thin Thread (who was removed when he blew the whistle) was attacked by the entire array of alphabet agencies. FBI, NSA, IRS, CIA, DIA – all of them.

Thin Thread, a program designed to be used on foreign nationals is still in use in the US. All the data is being stored but the problem is the data mining – the volume of data is currently beyond our ability to analyze in toto. That will soon not be the case.

The movie Enemy of the State or the TV show Person of Interest are really not as far fetched as we’d like to think at all. They’re keeping all the raw data and selectively mining it whilst working on a way to mine it all without hard search parameters.

CorporatePiggy on November 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Guys, he violated the law.

Send all the law breakers to jail.

A Axe on November 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

No disagreement, but the question begs why don’t they take this kind of interest in ALL lawbreakers?

Anyone want to makes guesses on how many fraudulent CA DLs there are out there?

kim roy on November 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Why are people defending a convicted felon? The guy is an admitted shyster and had 4 fake California IDs on him. He deserved to go back to jail.

You want to argue that Obama used this as a diversion from what really happened in Benghazi? Yeah sure, I agree with you. But this d-bag was on probation and committed another crime by possessing fake IDs. Case closed.

Let’s talk about what really happened in Benghazi and Obama covering it up and lying about it. Let’s not waste our breath defending a convicted felon who admits to more crimes.

Captain Kirock on November 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

While a bank run might hurt the system and everyone else including your local small town bank, that money may easily become next to worthless if we have hyper inflation. If you cash out, suggest you purchase junk coins; those quarters, dimes, etc minted before 1965 with 90% silver. Everyone knows what they are when one barters after the dollar takes a dive like in Germany in the 1920s.

amr on November 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

As opposed to liberal sites where you can certainly register, but then get moderated into oblivion. At least here once you get in through the open registration you can still post.

Proof of that is you’re still here. You think one of us has a chance to see our comments in the light of day on a liberal site?

kim roy on November 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Guys, he violated the law.

Send all the law breakers to jail.

A Axe on November 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

True that, and he needs to pay. But it’s still amusing to see the libtard trolls clicking their tongues in hypocritical disapproval that we are supposedly looking the other way on it.

CurtZHP on November 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

There goes “Freedom of Speech”.

Next is “Freedom of Religion”.

SailorMark on November 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Now, we see the left screaming for freaking “instant” justice.

And you were talking about pretzel logic?

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

These guys didn’t like Bush arresting jihad terrorists.

Now they’re jailing video producers.

The mental derangement to please their dictator is unbelievable.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’m waiting for someone — anyone — to talk about the persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt when discussing this topic. How many man hours and ink has been spilled debating whether this guy’s film was or wasn’t a motivating factor in Benghazi? Yet no one has the slightest curiosity about why the film was produced in the first place.

miles on November 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Don’t be so fast in feeling sorry for this man. According to Walid Shoebat, his own counsin (Eiad Salameh) is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, partnered with Mark Basseley Youssef aka Nakoula Basseley Nakoula in making this film.

moonsbreath on November 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

nitzsche on November 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I was going to pass on a ton of VA benefits I really don’t need for college. Now, I’m a schoolboy. I do one class on campus with a total of three per semester and I get close to 1500 a month just to go to school and the attendance and book are of course free for VN Era VA benefits. I’m going to quit the position I’ve had since I retired from the Army. In NC, none of my military retirement pay is taxed. I am basically on a ride from here on.

I encourage any of the folks here who have told us the were struggling but to proud to take WIC or food stamps. Take it. Take everything. Anything you qualify for, take it.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ed and Allah’s rules; it is their site–if you want to play here, play nicely. You have to wait for the open registration to help keep obnoxious banter down to a minimum.

The freedom to insult Islam and their prophet in our society should be a no-brainer according the First Amendment. Trying to compare someone runs a site and our First Amendment liberties is an equivocation fallacy.

mwbri on November 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I know.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

lulz at the sudden transformation of Liberal Democrats into super hawkish law-and-order types.

What happened to the ACLU, bifidis?

Good Solid B-Plus on November 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Captain Kirock on November 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This may even be more important than Benghazi.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

This may even be more important than Benghazi.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

How so?

Captain Kirock on November 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

M240H on November 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I know, right? I’ve never gotten a single comment past moderation at HuffPo. I took the hint and quit trying.

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

A Axe on November 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

It is simple: Humpty was pushed. They would have never found out about the other aliases without the mad dash by the feds to find the maker of the “film” (and make an example out of him).

mwbri on November 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

moonsbreath on November 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

So?

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

No one gets turned away for being liberal. Exhibit A: You’re not banned for being an idiot.

Compare that to DU, where the TOS specifically says you will get banned for advocating Republican policies.

Oh, and btw, the 1st Amendment doesn’t apply to privately-owned websites. You’d know that if you actually cared about the Constitution, troll-breath.

Good Solid B-Plus on November 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

How so?

Captain Kirock on November 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Freedom of speech.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Hey, the stupidly of so many of our fellow our citizens shows so vividly with what happened in Staten Island, NY. After cries of we are going to die, no electricity, the FEMA office closed due to weather, looting and lawlessness, major damage with next to no city, state, federal or even Red Cross assistance, they voted for Obama. You couldn’t make this up and think people would believe it.

Obama lost Black and young vote, but conservatives couldn’t make it to the polls to make Romney the president. 10 million fewer voted in total than in 2008; Romney 2 million less than McCain. Where was that anger nationally that I saw locally?

amr on November 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

mwbri on November 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

The fact they investigated him not for his crime , but for the video is scary.

Looking for a crime to shut him up.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

The fact they investigated him not for his crime , but for the video is scary.

Looking for a crime to shut him up.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Hillary Rodham Clinton, one of the dumbest women promoted to the top of the democrat ranks, GENUINELY STUPID, told the father of the slain SEAL that they will get the maker of the video.

Sure the guy is a criminal, but this was 100% SHOW TRIAL, the kind of garbage that happens in SOVIET RUSSIA.

tom daschle concerned on November 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Barry: We brought to justice the man behind the Benghazi attacks.

tommer74 on November 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

This guy would be a better icon of free speech if he weren’t a criminal who exposed the people he worked with to life threatening danger and career destroying negative publicity without informing them of the true nature of the project before hand. He has the right to say as he wishes but should have been honest from the get go. Defying you parole to openly make a bold statement against Islam and damn the consequences – THAT’S HEROIC. A convicted fraud engaging in more fraud isn’t.

abobo on November 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Asked what that meant, Seiden America said, “I didn’t ask him, and I don’t know.”

Those saying the film maker was indeed a law breaker are missing the point. Even the Muslims “back home” would view this with a grin but appreciate the precedent setting gesture of imprisoning anyone accused of disrespect for Islam even under pretext.

I am glad Allen West lost his seat. He is an excellent man but his appreciation of Islam would have seen him hounded, shamed and perhaps jailed for disrespecting the Prophet of Allah.

BL@KBIRD on November 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Freedom of speech.

the_nile on November 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

He is a felon on probation. His Constitutional rights are limited. He can’t vote, can’t own a gun, and probably can’t drink alcohol either. That’s what happens when you commit a crime and are put on probation.

Captain Kirock on November 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I’m guessing this guy won’t be a candidate for a little gold statue next February.

pain train on November 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM

bifidis on November 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Bifidis thinks the internet is a right.

Electrongod on November 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Anyone who protested the recent sentences handed down to the Pussy Riot protesters in Russia, has zero credibility if they can’t see this sentence as just as outrageous.

“I’m not going to say much about the movie because he’s not here because of the content of the movie,” Assistant U.S. Atty. Robert Dugdale said.

Bull fuc*in shit.
It’s exactly why he’s there.
(And I’m curious just how often Robert Dugdale gets involved in parolee violation cases.)

I have no sympathy for this guy…I think he’s a pr*ck.
But you’re allowed to be a pr*ck in this country…and we have no lack of examples to prove it. A Federal (??) judge handing down a prison sentence for this?
If this was a plea deal, his attorney sucks.
This is another one for David Boies and Ted Olson to team up on.

verbaluce on November 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Admittedly, he did weird stuff with his identity, against the provisions of his probation. When you’re a criminal, and then act like a criminal, don’t be surprised when s*** happens.

Also, Obama said in a speech to the UN (9/25/12) — “The Future Must Not Belong to Those Who Slander the Prophet of Islam”. So there’s that. Ich bin ein Islamist who adhers to “Behead those who slander the Prophet” rather than to “Congress shall make no law [...] abridging the freedom of speech”. Because, you know, slandering the Prophet (PBUH) is just WRONG. We are all Islamists now.

/Barack the Islamic call to prayer is “the most beautiful sound in the world” Obama

Personally, to me the most beautiful sound in the world is of some a-hole bellowing something highly unpopular. This week in my area, at Miami of Ohio, Paul Ryan’s alma mater, a freshman student was kicked out of school and convicted of disturbing the peace for printing and posting a flyer entitled “Top 10 ways to get away with rape”. What happened to freedom of speech?

Paul-Cincy on November 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Obama approves this message.

“The best is yet to come” — Obama.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Imagine what could happen to someone who talked about Benghazi.

The Iranians shot at one of our drones last week before the election. It was flying in international air space according to FOX.

IlikedAUH2O on November 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM

hawkdriver on November 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

You should have done this before! YOU. HAVE. EARNED. IT.

Enjoy and have fun. So jealous. :)

kim roy on November 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM