Video: Romney concession speech

posted at 1:40 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We heard it as we were going off the air on the Hugh Hewitt Show marathon — a classy end to a disappointing evening.   Mitt Romney graciously conceded defeat to Barack Obama in the presidential election after nearly two years of campaigning, offering his prayers for Obama’s efforts and for America’s future:

“Paul [Ryan] and I have left everything on the field … we have given our all to this campaign,” he said, adding, “I so wish I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead this country in a different direction,” but that he would pray for the current president.

He also thanked his chosen running mate, saying, “Besides my wife Ann, Paul was the best choice I ever made.”

He went on to thank his family, especially his wife, Ann. “She would have been a wonderful first lady,” he told the crowd.

He cautioned against partisan politics in the days and months to come, saying the he would “pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation.”

“We can’t risk partisan bickering … we citizens have to rise to the occasion.”

I’ll have more thoughts on this in the morning, but figured you’d want a chance to comment on the speech tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9 12

19 million voters didn’t vote compared with 2008. 10 million of them were McCain voters.
This just doesn’t add up. Did they stay home? Or did their votes disappear?

I still find this election result baffling. Too late now, but it would help to know where it went wrong apart from the fraud.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Obama didn’t win on the issues. He won largely because of racial and gender group politics, painting Romney as an evil bigot, with the media to reinforcing that idea.

This was an ugly win, and it has divided the country more sharply than any time I can remember.

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 5:34 AM

THIS

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:38 AM

So, this must have been what it was like to live through the Great Depression and watch the man who caused it get reelected over and over.

Count to 10 on November 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM

As I see it, the battle lines are really the cities versus the rest of the nation. More and more we who don’t live in major urban centers will be pumping money in to the bloated, wasteful services for those in the cities.

MJBrutus on November 7, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Well, that’s the way most of us in the red states see it.

For instance, why should we be funding high speed rail systems in metro areas when we’re paying high gas prices in areas where we have no public transportation? We drive miles and miles for low paying jobs, yet we are paying for trains?

If Barry would engage in a whine contest, I could beat him in a heartbeat, and I’m a little redneck gal.

We’re hurting out here. It’s bad.

But unlike a lot of people you don’t hear us complaining.

I’m just one person screaming.

Cody1991 on November 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM

will the gop actually do something about benghazi now?

cripe…with this lsm, this scandal will be swept under the rug

absolutely infuriating…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM

RightXBrigade on November 7, 2012 at 5:35 AM

1) Ron didn’t win any primaries. That is a real bad sign.

2) The media would continue to crucify the Repubs for Paul 20 years after he lost. Look at the Game Change movie on cable on November 6th.

3) Most of the right think Paul is nuts and some of them would go elsewhere and maybe not come back after the slaughter.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM

When I look at you America, what I see
Is a country that once belonged to me
And even though that melody plays on, you’re gone
When I look at you, America is standing there
I can almost breathe you in like summer in the air
When I look at you, America is touching me
I would reach for you, but who can hold a memory?
Did I create a dream?
Was America a fantasy?
Even a memory is paradise for all the fools like me
Now, remembering is all that I can do
Because I miss America so, when I look at you

PercyB on November 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM

You guys have to dumb down.
IlikedAUH2O

Too late for me to do that. If you mean the GOP needs to dumb down, I’m not sure if it can either, but I understand your point. The trouble with dumbing down in order to win an election, is that you eventually lose everything. The smart ones are those left standing after everybody else has eaten each other.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 5:41 AM

PercyB on November 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Touchingly sad.

MJBrutus on November 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

This just doesn’t add up. Did they stay home? Or did their votes disappear?

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Did you honestly expect them to vote for Romney? McCain went off the reservation and betrayed the GOP several times but he was at least somewhat conservative. Why would Romney do better than John McCain?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I can’t state how I feel at this stage….my utter contempt and emnity can’t describe how disappointed in my fellow Americans for making such a poor choice. This election was about taking a different path, we chose destruction. We are doomed. Liberals rejoice, I am done, I leave this mess to you. I am moving to Australia. May you one day find the wisdom to get o,it of the mess you have made.

triumphus04 on November 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

KJ, how ya doing?

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Ugh. That’s got me bummed.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Why??..You seem giddy over the Romney loss..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM

What on earth does she have to do with Mitt Romney?? Huh? Please, I’d like to know. Yeesh, sober up before you post next time.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 AM

PercyB on November 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Exactly the sentiment my DH expressed before he fell asleep. I tried to sleep, but I can’t.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Not a lot of people on here will remember this, but I said from the beginning, as I always believed would happen when we nominated Mitt Romney, that Barack Obama would win re-election easily.

Why? Simple. Choice. We had to offer the American people a choice and we didn’t, Mitt Romney never did. Yes, we made the case for Barack Obama being useless, incompetent, inexperienced, corrupt, spiteful, hateful, divisive etc. But Mitt never offered them a second alternative.

Barack Obama is all of our worst fears and more (God help us). But say what you will about him he made his case for moving the country Leftward towards European-style Socialism (he’s had 4 years to do that and he’ll get 4 more), he defended Liberalism to the hilt, he articulated it and he fought for it, dirty and proud.

Mitt could never do the same for Conservatism. It was and always was foreign to him (remember “severely conservative”).

America by heart is a Center-Right country; we believe in lower, smaller government, lower taxes, Individualism & Exceptionalism, State Rights, Defending and Upholding our Constitution, etc. We believe in all of these things because by nature and nurture we distrust our representatives, as our founding and forefathers did. And these are the bedrock founding blocks of Conservatism, so it should have been easy to articulate and promote. But we never had the chance to do it. We didn’t have that Choice.

Give the American people a choice between Liberalism and Conservatism, articulated and promoted, they WILL choose Conservatism every time.

We never had the Choice to make in this election!

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 AM

So Connie Mack goes down in FL Senate race with no House seat to fall back upon. Meanwhile Mary Bono Mack looks set to go down in her CA district. Think they’ll stick around DC? Fort Myers? Palm Springs?

steebo77 on November 7, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Interesting that a lot of the focus has been on the “rape” candidates, yet a bunch of establishment candidates like Mack got crushed. Shhhh though. Establishment candidates never hurt the Republicans.

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Are you trying to tell me that 3.5 million fewer people voted for Romney than for McCain? I simply do not believe it.

We had Republican enthusiasm through the roof, money galore, massive GOTV, up in early voting, huge turnout on election day, but still didn’t even come close to McCain’s numbers?

Something seriously stinks somewhere.

2008:
Obama – 69,456,897
McCain – 59,934,814

2012:
Obama – 58,702,702 (-10,754,195)
Romney – 56,455,982 (-3,478,832)

Total Vote Loss – 14,233,027! (9% fewer voters)

I am sorry, I simply do not believe this.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Have you tried tutoring? Find a local tutoring service (or Sylvan Learning Center) and give them your resume. Charge around $20 an hour.

I did go to Sylvan early on, but what they were wanting to pay me wasn’t even enough for gas to get to the site, so I declined when they made the offer.

I do have my name up on a tutoring site, and an application in to another site, but the jobs that are coming up are not in my subject area (English) and are more in Science and Math.

Right now, the subbing is what is sustaining us for the time being, having to figure out each pay period how much of that is going to go towards the sitter vs. what we can keep. Next year I’m hoping the day care cost will go down because the munchkin will be starting kindergarten and I’ll be able to keep more of my money (will just need someone to watch him before he goes to school or can pick him up afterwards).

I am just grateful that the district where I sub allows me to go to the teacher workshops when they have them so that I can stay certified in the state. My general ones are almost fulfilled, I’ll have to ask the PD person in the district about my content area.

A lot of this isn’t me making excuses — it’s just that I am so used to having a job in one form or another that I have absolutely no clue what to do at this point.

ScoopPC11 on November 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM

A few things to chew on. First, it looks like Obama is going to win by about 2.3%. Thats a pretty solid win. Ohio turned out to be the same old Ohio. It out performed the national electorate by nearly half a point. If Romney would have won nationally, it looks like he would have won Ohio. The auto thing looks to have been over hyped. Ohio is still the bellweather state. With Virginia the number two bellweather.

I have no problem if Chris Christie left the Republican party. It would be ZERO loss. And based on the damage he did this election with his crappy convention speech and what he did the last week and his loose cannon attitude, might be a gain. He needs to be out….standing with the Dems.

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Duh, the GOP went wrong when it nominated the gun-grabbing crony statist who invented Obamacare and championed the crony-mandate himself.

FloatingRock on November 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM

O will get all the information out on Benghazi as soon as the investigation is complete.

That video had a possible role, and our government is clear on that issue.

He knew it was terrorism and has always said so and nobody said or did anything dumb or dishonest.

The government has hired the same detectives OJ has on retainer looking for the real killers.

The investigators can’t get into the country.

The administration wants this done right and we don’t need to talk to anyone over there until the time is right and we respect their rights and the integrity of other governments!.

The world is safer now that Romney can’t say things to cause trouble,

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 5:49 AM

The failure was not Mitt Romney’s. The failure belongs to those who voted for Obama and those who didn’t vote.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM

i fear for israel…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:51 AM

The McCain Palin ticket, despite being confronted with a financial collapse at the end of 8 years of a Republican administration with dismal approval ratings received a total of 59.9 million votes.

The Romney Ryan ticket, facing a President with a dreadful economic record and no plan for recovery received a total of 53.7 million votes.

The Obama Biden ticket went from 69,5 million votes in 2008 to 54,8 million votes in 2012, loosing 14.7 million votes, but still won, because the Romney Ryan ticket was not able to hold on to the voters that had come out for McCain Palin in 2008, let alone increase on that vote total.

When the Republican Party snubs movement and independent conservatives, along with libertarian leaning conservatives this is what happens.

The Tea Party Got It Right, Mitt Got It Wrong

john.frank on November 7, 2012 at 5:51 AM

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM

as soon as we go over the fiscal cliff, those folks will be asking for a handout…not one bloody dime to those states….not one bloody dime

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM

The sad part is that if Romney had merely met McCain’s pathetic vote count he would have won. McCain was a HORRIBLE candidate who generated ZERO enthusiasm.

Romney was speaking to overflow crowds of 30+ k.

I will never believe this actually happened. Republicans would have crawled through broken glass to vote Obama out. Reports from the field were constantly of highest turnout ever witnessed.

Folks, I don’t know how, but we’ve been cheated.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Classy losers. Just what the GOP needs. They’re going to get plenty of opportunities from now on.

How strange this was tonight to have the scales lifted from my eyes.

It is conservatives who are living in a bubble!

Drudge, Hot Air, PowerLine, InstaPundit, Hugh Hewitt, et al. It turns out that I have not been ‘reality-based’ after all.

For the reality is that the left’s long march through this country’s institutions has won the day. Their control over the media, bureaucracy, academia, public education, public employee unions is now clearly insuperable. They have a singular, unshakable will to power that leads to a willingness to lie, cheat, steal, and play smash-mouth politics. And win they do, baby.

This isn’t a message problem–or a messenger problem. This is a problem of spiritual and cultural rot. Catholics voting for abortion. Jews voting for the death of Israel. What will you do?

Conservatism is dead.
The GOP is dead.
The United States of America is dead.
The left has won.

PD Quig on November 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM

It’s the fault of those stupid dogs who won’t eat our delicious dog food?

You run a liberal against a socialist pretending to be a liberal and that doesn’t work out too well? Shocker!

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Hindsight is not a useful commodity. Do you seriously think Palin, Santorum, Perry or any of the other GOP candidates could have beaten the system tonight?

Get real. The good guys lost against the corrupt and lying bad guys, who stole the election. Obama wasn’t winning yesterday, and he knew it.

Whoever said upthread that the Dems play a long game was right.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Someone like Perry, Palin, maybe Gingrich would have melted down the MSM on a scale the likes of which no one has seen, imo. Would’ve changed the dynamics completely. Everyone here is b!tching about the media, like it’s the first time they’ve been biased, but didn’t want anyone who would take them on and expose them. They wanted the nice guy who’s nice to nice moderates. Another clean candidate who the MSM would have a hard time touching. Well, are we going to do something about the MSM or what?

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 5:54 AM

if the gop thinks MR I WON is actually going to work with them, they are cuckoo…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

The Democrats did not win Nov 6th – they lost 11 million votes! Republicans apparently just gave up.

I do not believe it. Will never believe it. The results do NOT match the evidence.

THAT will be the question of this election. WHAT HAPPENED TO 3.5 MILLION REPUBLICAN VOTERS?

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Screw all of you who now come out and blame our candidate. Like to admit it or not, it wouldnt have mattered much who are candidate was. It is difficult to win, in an age of internet and social sites especially, when you have to go against not just an incumbent, but the powerful news media and Hollywood. Two groups that have carried every single Obama talking point and attack on Romney. Reagan would have had a tough race in today’s America.

America has not hit bottom yet, clearly we are going to have to for us to start moving back in the right direction again.

bucsox79 on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Well, in the next four years the American people will get to actually see the destruction caused by Obamacare.

500 billion in new taxes, most of them on the middle class.
20 million Americans will lose their employer-based health insurance.
Many doctors will simply leave the profession.
An estimated 1 out of 6 hospitals will close.
Medicare will be gutted, and rationed by the IPAB that is set up for that purpose.
Employers will force full-time workers to become part-time to avoid the Employee Mandate.
Veterans health care (Tricare) will be gutted by billions.
And on and on.
Who will the Democrats blame for all of this in 2016?

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 AM

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM

In my family, 2 people who voted McCain voted Romney; 1 McCain vote didn’t vote this time; 2 Obama’08 votes didn’t vote this time. The 1 McCain vote that didn’t vote this time had a problem with Mormanism. Both of the Obamam’08 voters feel let down by him so they didn’t vote. All anecdotal I know, but there it is.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 AM

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

They stayed home.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Ed, you did a great job last night on the hugh hewitt show…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM

You don’t represent most voters. You are in the extreme minority who views Romney as a “liberal.”

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

And the non-voters were all in swing states.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Thing that gets me the most is it doesnt seem we had the turnout we expected. Or did we and the other side just had more?

I personally knew many that voted for Obama last time, and said they werent this time. So how could it be that we lost so easily? It just boggles the mind.

bucsox79 on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Jimmy Carter cried himself to sleep last night…

Timothy S. Carlson on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

If anyone had told you that Obama could lose 11 million votes from his 2008 totals and still win easily you would have said they were crazy.

Impossible.

But that is EXACTLY what happened.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

what do businesses do now? will they hire knowing obamacare is here to stay and taxes will be raised?

the new normal of 8-10% unemployment in our future?

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I suspect there are at least a few million others as well.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Something seriously stinks somewhere.

2008:
Obama – 69,456,897
McCain – 59,934,814

2012:
Obama – 58,702,702 (-10,754,195)
Romney – 56,455,982 (-3,478,832)

Total Vote Loss – 14,233,027! (9% fewer voters)

I am sorry, I simply do not believe this.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Unless there are a lot of votes yet to be counted, something sure does seem way out of whack. Did a lot of Republican votes cast simply disappear into Soros Land or did a lot of “conservatives” not want to vote for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints?

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 AM

bucsox79 on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

They stayed home too.

Obama sucked and Romney sucked.
Romney managed to outsuck Obama.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM

To the people of Ohio ,Fla,Virgina,Penn,Colorado and Wisconsin you have bought the big dog with fleas now laid down with it.When this country goes broke and your union pensions dry up.You coal miners lose you jobs. Your mother ,father grand parents or spouse are turned away from medical treatment and told just take a pill and die.When the Government shows up at your door and says .It,s not fair that you have so much we need to take away some and spreed the wealth around.I don,t want to hear a DAMN thing out of your mouth.You worthless cowards are about to get what you so richly deserve.Total Gov control and a very few dollars and a total lose of freedom.when the money runs complete this entitlement monster will turn on itself and all hell will break loose.

logman1 on November 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM

My only explanation for this is that Evangelicals did not vote because of the Mormon thing. So, you stayed home and gave the country to a Marxist Baby Killer Muslim just because you couldn’t vote for a Mormon?

Seriously, F*CK YOU!

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

We are now a part of history. Stay strong my friends.

tomas on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Well, either Mitt miscalculated his base dreadfully, or Obama cheated his way back in. I suppose we might know the answer in a while.

It’s possible, but we will never know now. Would Palin have also energised the Democrats in greater numbers? This is also possible. We might now have had 70 million Republican votes but 70 million Democrats also coming out of the woodwork who hate Palin with the fury of all hell.

I can’t answer that one.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

But that is EXACTLY what happened.
mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Many Republican voters were probably convinced by the media that Obama’s reelection was a foregone conclusion. Remember those polls which showed the percentage of people who believed Obama be reelected?

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

G

We never had the Choice to make in this election!

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Right, you popped in to remind us that you popped up before with your pearls of wisdom.

You sound like Donald Trump or some other Yank with an impressive immigrant ancestry.

Whatever…… and you really need to shut up because you didn’t speak up when it was important.

Don’t Like BO?! Well, guess, what. He owns your ass. And ours.

People like yourself really piss me off. You come late in the game, profess all sorts of things and pretend that you give a nod to the “little people”.

Bullshit.

You’re just a nasty, self serving POS. Your might be Donald Trump, but you’re still a creepy troll.

Cody1991 on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Does anyone doubt that if Romney had been a Southern Baptist he would have won in a landslide?

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Really?

Wanna see far right numbers? Check Goldwater in ’64.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM

And the non-voters were all in swing states.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

It doesn’t make sense. Every article and report I read provided numbers showing that we were exceeding our 2008 numbers in early voting, and in absentee ballot requests – and Democrats’ numbers were down.

Historically, Republicans have always voted more on election day than in early voting. So what happened?

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Well, are we going to do something about the MSM or what?

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 5:54 AM

I reccommended that we hijack the first Republican primary debate and when the first “biased” question was asked to ANY candidate, that the candidate would go on a diatribe against the media. Then have EVERY single other candidate on stage would do the same thing. Give facts, stats, and antecdotes that prove media bias. Prepare this whole sabotage well in advance. Have all the conservative talking heads add more facts and figures. Have every talk show talk about it the next day. Like a D-day invasion. Overwhelm them. Strength in numbers. If nothing else it would have put the media a bit on the defense. Warned the Romney folks that they would be next if they didn’t nip this in the bud. Nobody listened or liked the idea. Oh well. Maybe someday.

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM

naturally curly and renalin, i give you the floor for the mj show….

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM

suspect there are at least a few million others as well.
sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Well, you have zero evidence to back that up. It’s just something you want to believe because it supports your position. Sorry, but you are in the extreme minority of people who believe Romney to be a “liberal.”

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM

We never had the Choice to make in this election!

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 AM

I think only if they are shamed into it. We didn’t have someone who could do that at all. Romney is a nice guy and very accomplished, but yeah, it’s how he articulated the message. Accountants explaining things in a pleasant manner doesn’t seem to be working. Conservatives need a new approach. Or are we going to go the exact same route yet again, I wonder.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM
mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Lol. I am amused at all the Mittbots trying to grasp what is so clear to the rest of us. Where did the missing voters go? Ah, it’s funny.

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM

>..<

ted c on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM

logman1 on November 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM

America made its choice and it isn’t the republican party. We will never again be able to win swing states over the coalition of the needy.

tomas on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Right. It makes no sense.

In OH alone we were up 14% of 2008 and blew the doors off on election day. How the hell did our numbers plummet? I don’t get the math. I mean could McCain have gotten 30k people to stand in the freezing cold just to see him?

Everything pointed to massive GOP turnout then nothing.

I simply do not accept this.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

2008:
Obama – 69,456,897
McCain – 59,934,814

2012:
Obama – 58,702,702 (-10,754,195)
Romney – 56,455,982 (-3,478,832)

Total Vote Loss – 14,233,027! (9% fewer voters)

I am sorry, I simply do not believe this.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM

I agree with you!

Two of my friends went nuts over those figures.

The answer they fell upon was that Republicans were more worried about O last time and now those “moderate R’s” are OK with the Manchurian Candidate and just stayed home.

Honest. that is the best they could do. Maybe they votes were not all counted yet.

Florida election staff went home for the night, I know.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Oh yeah, just keep postulating some weird hypotheticals, just to ward off the inevitable. Democrats don’t hate Palin. A large number of them love her. A large part of people who voted Mccain were Democrats. If you look at all sub categories who voted for Mccain, Hispanics, gays, women and they all voted for the 2008 ticket in greater numbers than for Romney. And they didn’t vote for Mccain.

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

This evangelical voted for Mitt. I’m sure some used it as an excuse not to vote for Mitt. Why, I don’t know. Tell me how a man who may not believe Jesus is the savior, but who lives out the rest of the gospel is somehow worse than an atheist who voted 4 times for infanticide?

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

This does not help but misery loves company so….

I have a number of people who are looking at the election returns like observers saw the sudden 7.8% unemployment rate.

They think something stinks to high heaven.

I keep waiting for Dick Morris or Barone to appear.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Do those very low vote totals include all, or most, of California being counted? Maybe that’s the explanation. Or absentees not counted yet? Otherwise it makes no sense unless there was Soros Panky.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Impossible.

But that is EXACTLY what happened.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

That is what we have been trying to tell since 2008. But none of you bozos were willing to listen. Romney is the worst candidate ever. He has that effect on people. Not only he sucked, he also had the gall to snub the tea party and their leader, he did not even invite the biggest tea party leader to the freaking convention, that’s enough motivation for her millions of voters to vote for Mittens right there. Not.

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 AM

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM

My comment was adding on to my previous one. I was referring to the 3 non-Presidential ticket voters in my family. 1 went for McCain last time, the other 2 Obama in ’08. Non of them voted top of the ticket this time.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 6:14 AM

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Just look at the NYT electoral map and look at the “lead” view.

There are nasty giant blue circles on every city.

Look at the “county” view. ALL the rural counties are red. That’s where Romney was getting his crowds. A rally of 30,000 in a city can draw all the attendees from the surrounding country-side.

gh on November 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Dick Morris coming up on Fox next to explain why his predicted lasnslide didn’t pan out.

rjl1999 on November 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

rjl1999 on November 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

He’ll never be taken seriously again.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Everything pointed to massive GOP turnout then nothing.

I simply do not accept this.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Yep, and I don’t really buy the argument that Republicans became convinced at the end that Obama was going to win – so they stayed home. Mitt was drawing huge crowds in the swing states right up until the day of the election.

It’s also odd that they say the turnout was D+6, but we did not experience massive losses in the house. That’s a lot of ticket-splitting: Obama voters also voting for a Republican congressman.

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM

The Nerve on November 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM

What accomplishment were those? Please kindly list those accomplishments for me. I’ll wait, take your time.

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Well, you have zero evidence to back that up.

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM

True…other than his record in office.

And Romney himself saying that his views are ‘progressive‘.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

TRYING TO ADD THIS UP:

2 years ago Republicans won 63 seats in the House in a blowout repudiation of Obama’s policies. Now, with a chance to actually get rid of Obama himself, no one bother’s to vote?

STUNNING FACT:
6 million fewer people voted in 2012 than in 2004!

2004 population – 292,287,454
2012 poulation – 313,000,000

Population Growth = 21,000,000

… and yet 6 million fewer voted?

Does anyone else find this extremely odd?

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Unfortunately, my comment above applies to Palin as well.

The universities are OWNED by the left. So are the schools. As people get older the electorate is drifting inexorably left.

I see three major factions on the right:

– conservatives
– libertarians
– establishment

Somehow these 3 groups need to unite and work out a strategic approach. Freedom is not sufficient. The left has turned this into hedonism and both libertarians and the establishment enjoy it too.

gh on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

So let’s see when Palin is added to the ticket, a near morose Mccain overturns a deficit of 10 points and gains a lead of 4. With Ryan, there was zero movement.

Even despite the financial collapse the bailouts designed to make conservatives angry, the Mccain/Palin ticket manages to win greater number of voters than Romney/Ryan. Millions more.

When Palin is heading the charge, the tea party wins historic number of congressional seats. They retake the house.

And when Palin is absent and shunned by the party, they lose, even while having an incumbent with the worst approval ratings and no timely financial collapse excuse.

But that’s still not enough for some people to grasp. Really, the problem is with you. When will you grasp that?

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Who will the Democrats blame for all of this in 2016?

The same people they always blame? Just a wild guess.

PD Quig on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM

(Sigh) The GOP ran a guy who was the MODEL for Obamacare and offered nothing more than ‘vote for me because Obama is an idiot.” Obama is an idiot, but that wasn’t good enough. What exactly was Romney going to do if elected? Who knows? Attack Iran?

See: Romney’s Losing Strategy

I should have voted for Ron Paul who was at least willing to take a clear stand on the issues.

RomanticIdeal on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Any GOP candidate should absolutely refuse to do interviews with the mainstream news media unless they do nothing but attack and destroy them in the interview!

bucsox79 on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Have you ever thought that 6 odd million voters STAYED HOME because the and their movement were thoroughly snubbed.

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

George Bush 2004 – 62,040,610
Mitt Romney 2012 – 56,584,192

5.5 million votes for Romney than Bush in 2004!

No, just no. Something STINKS here.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

None of this makes sense. Why would PA & OH vote to kill their coal plants? I KNOW zero did NOT win Florida. Something is seriously wrong.

But there is nothing we can do about it.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

PD Quig on November 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM

A wonder of nature is sometimes sad to behold!

My brother in law is a loser….like the Chicago Cubs. He is a real tar baby and stays around forever.

He creates more problems since he tries than if he just went away.

He thinks he is a real patriot and gun nut and dodged the Viet Nam era draft with six months in the Coast Guard.

He will make any deal and frequently you end up like the Oakland Raiders were if you do that.

Pray that the R party doesn’t get that way.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Everything pointed to massive GOP turnout then nothing.

I simply do not accept this.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

I don’t either. Pigs flying would be more logical.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Look, you are welcome to that view. I have no interest in trying to persuade you otherwise. All I am saying is that you are in the extreme minority who views Romney as a “liberal.”

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I can’t answer that one.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Finally, someone who doesn’t claim to know everything. My hat’s off to you. Yeah, we’ll never know. However, we have seen what doesn’t work, these past two elections, and these weird popular vote numbers show a big chunk of Repubplicans missing. Maybe they left the party, disgruntled, disenchanted… whatever.

I can’t believe all that was because of Romney being a Mormon. Too bizarre a reason to deny him the presidency.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM

… and yet 6 million fewer voted?

Does anyone else find this extremely odd?

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Why?

Obama was a huge disappointment to the left so why is it shocking that his legions stayed home? 11 million you say.

Romney wasn’t at all inspiring so several million on the right stayed home. 3.5 million you say.

How is this a mystery?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM

RomanticIdeal on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Overturn Obamacare. At least he promised to do it. Obama won’t.

txhsmom on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 AM

i fear for israel…

cmsinaz

I fear for America.

By the way, 60% of voters STILL blame Bush for the economy. That’s in part why Romney lost, and he shares some blame for that because instead of pushing back against these claims, he basically said yeah, Bush was to blame, but don’t worry, I won’t be like Bush. I said some time ago if we didn’t start pushing back against that nonsense it was going to cost us. And it did….for the second election in a row.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Comrades! Welcome to the sixth quarter of the Ninth Three-Year Plan.

By the way…it doesn’t matter who casts the votes, it only matter who count the votes.

Galtian on November 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM

2004 population – 292,287,454
2012 poulation – 313,000,000

Population Growth = 21,000,000

… and yet 6 million fewer voted?

Does anyone else find this extremely odd?

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Yes, I certainly do. Do you have the total number of Republicans who voted in 2010?

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM

George Bush 2004 – 62,040,610
Mitt Romney 2012 – 56,584,192

5.5 million votes for Romney than Bush in 2004!

No, just no. Something STINKS here.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Ad in 8 years the population would have gone up about 8%, maybe a little more.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Cody1991 on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Listen you moron, I voted for Mitt Romney, I even donated to the guy even after I swore up and down that I would do no such thing. But in the end I did, why because as you idiots kept saying all through out Obama will destroy the country, on and on and on, so I did, donated and voted.

Now he’s lost, you better f**king carry that can. This in on YOU.

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Are we sure Kalifornia is in?

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Can’t compare this to 2010.

For the last time, 2010 was an off year election.

O didn’t have his slacker army.

And other reasons.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

We have too many blowhards with their own agendas.

And our sites like Hot Air need to do a better job.

tomas on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Me and Romney are part of that ‘extreme minority’ who say he’s a progressive.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM