Video: Romney concession speech

posted at 1:40 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We heard it as we were going off the air on the Hugh Hewitt Show marathon — a classy end to a disappointing evening.   Mitt Romney graciously conceded defeat to Barack Obama in the presidential election after nearly two years of campaigning, offering his prayers for Obama’s efforts and for America’s future:

“Paul [Ryan] and I have left everything on the field … we have given our all to this campaign,” he said, adding, “I so wish I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead this country in a different direction,” but that he would pray for the current president.

He also thanked his chosen running mate, saying, “Besides my wife Ann, Paul was the best choice I ever made.”

He went on to thank his family, especially his wife, Ann. “She would have been a wonderful first lady,” he told the crowd.

He cautioned against partisan politics in the days and months to come, saying the he would “pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation.”

“We can’t risk partisan bickering … we citizens have to rise to the occasion.”

I’ll have more thoughts on this in the morning, but figured you’d want a chance to comment on the speech tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11 12

These people are bad for your brand.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM

No, what I look at is the people with their hand out, who won’t get off the couch and earn a living…I look at people who see “images” and vote for that image.

A photo of concerned look when a hurricane hits, and they think that is all their is…meanwhile the victims beg for water, for relief, but the photo means more.

Words at murdered citizens memorials, mean more than protecting them…being on TV personality’s stage is more important than answering questions from journalists.

No, what I see are people who adore personalities, and can’t endure the strength it takes to build a nation.

I see spokespeople like Reid who said he would not work with any Republican, after spending weeks lying about candidates and their taxes…I see Biden, who can’t get through a simple speech without more gaffs than a tuna fisherman…I see State department officials, going out and covering up the deaths of our finest, openly lying about it, than blaming the lies on the opponent.

But one photo, a few words, a couple of personalities, and 16 trillion, 23 million, 8%, debt, out of work, unemployed…are forgotten.

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I am quitting following HotAir and politics for a LONG while. You all and build your “paradise” without me. For me, there is still a life to lead and savoy, here or elsewhere. Adieu.
bayview on November 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I’m with you. My posting has always been infrequent, but this just tipped the scale over for me. I will pop on now and again, but no longer am I “leaving the plug in.” Life goes on, and not having to sweat all this inside baseball BS will be a welcome change of pace.

And at the end of the day, what has really changed? All the players are pretty much right where we left them. More scraping bottom, more of the same. People want that apparently. Let them have it. And I would know, I am in the bluest of the blue states.

I am just going to live my life, I don’t care what DC or any politician does, says, or doesn’t do any more, I’m tapped out. We tried to put the fire out, didn’t work, now just let the house burn down. Let them dance in the fire, because one day its all going to stop and come down, and those who built their lives around it will be all the worse because of it.

I will not be one of those. Too many things to do.

I always felt politics was people at their worst, this election just about proved that to me.

Gatsu on November 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

10 million who voted for Obama in 2008 didn’t. 3M for McCain didn’t vote for Romney.
I suspect those 10M were not happy about Obama’s policies but at the same time didn’t trust the GOP after the primaries forced absolutist positions on things such as illegal immigrants. McCain was big on immigration reform and I think that explains the drop on the R side.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

It doesn’t explain how we were out-performing 2008 early voting levels in every swing state – and then the numbers just disappear on election day.

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

The silver lining is that all those people that voted for Obama, the ones who pay taxes (granted there aren’t that many), will have to suffer as much as the rest of us will when our taxes skyrocket in January.

And all of them will be paying more for gas, electricity, food and just about everything else. Oh wait a minute, they don’t care because they get most of their money from welfare – that we pay for.

Our country is so screwed.

Sporty1946 on November 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

No f**king way man, no f**king way, no revisionism. This was your guy, your election. This is on YOU. You better f**king carry the can.

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I have been telling you for MONTHS that Presidential Elections are about DEMOGRAPHICS unlike mideterm Election where the minority doesn’t participate much.
I have been telling you that Bengazi was a waste of time when the focus should have been on the Economy and JOBS JOBS JOBS

I have been telling you that Mitt Romney was too much of a flip flopper to win the heart of Americans. This man believes in NOTHING. He is so fake that he does not remember whatr he stood for yesterday. He is no conservative and it’s time conservatives stop rallying behind the Establishment candidate. Otherwise it’s gonna be deja vu again in 4 years.

There are way too many Republican sites that have misled conservative voters into believing on a wave that would lead to a landslide for Romney. There will always be more Democratic leaning voters in presidential Election because of the minority turnout. G W Bush knew that and worked hard to get 44% of the latino vote in 2004.
Conservatives need to know that the white vote is becoming less and less relevant because of Demograpgics. Obama coalition of blacks, latino, unmarried women (68/30 margin last night) , young voters and white liberal is way too strong to overcome by running up the white men and married white women vote.

Sarah Palin would have done better than Mitt Romney because she is an EVERYDAY woman that is who she says she is. She would have energized the Tea Party like 2008 and certainly gotten more votes than Romney (just like McCain did)

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I have two words: Voter fraud.

avagreen on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Really, don’t go there.

Chicago has been fraudulent for 100 years.

It’s about ” ask not ” and what the government can do for you.

We have reached the TIPPING POINT- you will never see a Republican President in your lifetime. Romney would have been the last one we would have had anyway.

European Socialism is on the way… And more people want it then don’t. That’s just the way it is Chance.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

2008
McCain 59,934,814
Obama 69,456,897

2012 (with 1/3 of California not yet in).
Romney 56,803,566.
Obama 59,417,230

I was completely wrong in my belief that Republicans would show up to vote Obama out or Romney in. Democrats may be wrong on practically every policy, but they are at least united. The circular firing squad will be more active than usual.

I think the lesson for Republicans is that narratives which are not disputed become accepted as the truth even if they are completely false. Obama claimed Bush’s policies drove the economy into the ditch. In fact, it was the CRA and the subprime mortgage market that caused the banking crisis. It was Bush, with TARP, who saved the banking system. The failed Bush policies created an unemployment rate that was less than 5% throughout most of his 2 terms.

Obama did not end the war in Iraq. The Surge ended the war. Obama opposed the Surge. It was over before he became President.

The rich already pay their fair share. Taxing the rich even more won’t make a dent in the deficit but will increase unemployment.

Romney ran a good campaign, but in the end the lengthy Republican Primary composed of people with zero chance of actually winning the election left Romney too weakened and without sufficient time to change the narrative. Republicans who failed to support Romney will now demand that the party needs to go more to the right in order to win.

I am pro life but it’s time to propose a compromise on abortion. Obama should have been painted as the pro abortion extremist that he is. Instead we get Republicans with no empathy for rape victims and Mourdock at 44% and Akin at 39% in states Romney won by 10%.

The mess Obama has created is far worse than the one he inherited. In 4 years the debt will be 22 trillion and the real unemployment rate above 15%. Iran will have nuclear weapons and al Qaeda will be wreaking havoc. The Democrats will be weakened, however in 4 years that 47% will be over 50%.

Basilsbest on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

The glee with which his contempt for women was embraced — and Romeny’s failure to distance himself — was the turning point in the “War on Women” theme.

54% of the electorate are women, they went Obama 55-45.

Thank you, Rush.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Nice try. The answer, since you’re wanting to offer it to us, is gaining an objective media again. If Rush ruined it by calling a contraceptive beggar an unsavory name, why didn’t Ed Shultz effect the progressive brand. Let me answer it for you. Because the media attacked Limbaugh and ignored Schultz. Like they ignored the economy, jobs numbers, Benghazi, failed support for Egypt, Libya and the revenge remark. All the while seizing on any single word or catchphrase, binder, 47 percent and running with it 24/7. Obama, today, is still the worst president in my lifetime. No reelection changes that. The media made him and they’ve got four more years of serious propaganda to make to cover how God awful be is.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

How can you trust the conservative media on anything when they have proven to be so entirely wrong in this election.

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Meanwhile, 4 people dead, killed, murdered, and your people are covering it up and lying about it…

You worry about polls, while Ambassadors are being killed, while our territory is invaded…but you worry about whether polls are accurate?

Really? Really? That is why Obama won, because image over substance is what liberals live with…actions are of no consequence, as long as they look good on the View and late night comedy shows…but no problem with our embassy’s being torn down and our people killed, and lying, directly lying to the public about it…incredible how shallow people are.

Worried about polls…good grief, of course Obama and others like him will be re-elected, if their lies are embraced and defended…you can’t win against stupidity.

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

The polls were not accurate. It is that simple. Could be the respondents were actually democrats who said they were for Romney to gin up enthusiasm with other democrats — we will never really know.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Rush’s comments were directed squarely at 30 year old college students who publicly beg for free contraception. The best Romney could have done would be to say he disagreed with the way Rush worded his statement. Showing sympathy for Fluke, how would that have helped him with conservatives who in fact do have contempt for Fluke?

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Fluke? Who wanted her nice lesbian friend with the ovary problem to be able to get the birth control pill prescribed by her doctor, just as I get my prescription meds for my blood pressure, and who never once mentioned her own birth control status? Why the contempt?

Radio Jabba’s statements were seen, correctly, as tarring every woman who had ever had sex out of wedlock with the slut brush. His gleeful push for ratings led to severe message problem for the Republicans. If Romney had said that he was against free birth control but that Rush’s comments were way out of line — which, by any civilized measure, they were — and told him to shut up, he would have looked like a hero, instead of a whimpering puppet.

But no, in the end, Mitt was afraid to cross the Republican base, and he looked weal and lost women.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Badger40 on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

This is it. Mitt was not my first choice, but he is a man of integrity and I came to want to vote FOR him (and Ryan). But, you are right- it’s about government being the answer….until they run out of money and we become Greece. I don’t know how we overcome that.

hoosierma on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You’re another one. Go join the Democrat Party. Try to get them to be more fiscally restrained and you’ll be a perfect match because you are no Conservative.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Women voted for Obama because of idiot comments like this from your side.

You can’t really be that clueless, can you?

urban elitist

It wasn’t my side making that argument, it was your side. And women bought it, making them the clueless ones.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

A very weird election in term of voter turnout… You would have thought that this is the most tense elections of all times and yet 13 millions people voted less in this elections than in 2008…

One more thing, we have to find every possible way to eliminate early voting and absentee ballots except for military personal serving overseas, people with proof that they are traveling outside their state on elections day, and Americans residing overseas…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM

We hugely underestimated the need for at least half the country to keep its free stuff and rationalise the economic problems away thereby. Romney made the economy his platform, but it seems it didn’t hit home to enough of the populace, who voted on social issues and looking Presidential in a hurricane.

My mother in law who is not a socialist at all, says she really didn’t like the ‘look’ or sound of Romney, he seemed just like another of those rich Wall Street guys.
My son thought Obama should win because he seems to work well with Republicans and is obviously able to handle the economy okay because he can speak well about it.

Those two statements blew me out of the door. I couldn’t speak at all afterwards to either of them. Later I went back to my son and we had a good debate about socialism v capitalism, and he conceded many points, but in the end he ‘liked’ Obama better than that other guy.

You can’t beat rationalisation.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

We lost because there are far more people who have been duped & eluded into thinking the government will fix their problems.
And as those problems have gotten worse, they have become even more dependent upon their slavemasters who have driven them into bondage in the first place.
Relax my friends.
Romney would not have been able to fix America’s woes anyway. Not like we really need.
Nothing will fix America’s woes at this point bcs there are just too many dependent citizens who are voting themselves more dependency.
I’m not sure just how you counteract that.
Human beings want what they consider the safe route.
This is why the lie of socialism AKA communism is so attractive.
Remember only about a third of most Americans in colonial American were for the Rev0lutionary war at first.
That changed over time. But there were still many many loyalists around at the end of things.
Freedom is too hard for most people. Bcs it means personal accountability.

Badger40 on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

This loss should be an eye opener for many of us. It is clear that a very large percentage of Americans don’t really give a damn about their fellow Americans and can only think of themselves. It is past time to try to convince them that their way will not lead to progress for our country but is only the road to destruction. They have to feel it. It has to affect them. The results of the policies they want to visit on everyone else have to hit them personally, quite simply, it has to hit home.

I’m finished trying to fight them with votes. It is time to start to disseminate against them because of their views and their attitudes. It is time to make it hurt. Don’t do business with them. Don’t buy union made goods. Don’t hire them. If you find out they work for you, let them go, fire them and tell them they are being let go because of Obamacare, or the tax rates, or the regulations that cripple your business, the very policies that they vote for. It’s time to start checking your parking lots for democrat bumper stickers to know who to target. Find excuses why they will never get promoted, why they must take a pay cut, why you must screw them over. It’s time to blow off their charities. Hurricane Sandy? Sorry NY, you are a blue state, I can’t give you any help because you don’t care about anyone else but youselves, you should have purchased insurance. They have decided to hate success, they have made “profit” a dirty word. They demand what is mine in the misguided understanding of fairness. They asked for it, they wanted this and now they are going to get it right between the eyes.

Dollayo on November 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

It’s ALL ABOUT food stamps and entitlements. nothing More.

You aholes voted for John Kerry. Remember ?

You’re over thinking you’re Position.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Thank goodness Michele Bachmann won! Even though I didn’t vote for her in the primaries, she has always been a hero of mine.

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 7:51 AM

See, this is what really pisses me off. What exactly has Rubio done? I mean he gives good speeches and he has proposed some kind of DREAM ACT, but what exactly has he done again?

This is the kind of panderism and tokenism that pisses the f**k out of me. What? Because he is a Latino? What?

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

The early voting numbers weren’t polls. It was simply math – adding up the number of early voters and comparing it to 2008.

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM

54% of the electorate are women, they went Obama 55-45.

Thank you, Rush.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Unmarried women supported Obama…and for the first time in the history of the U.S., there are more unmarried women than married…and more women on the government dole than ever before…when Peter robs Paul, Peter never complains.

Your stat only shows what is obvious, people don’t vote for people who will take what the “government” gives them away.

When the majority of the populace, and it is happening, depends ever greater on the federal government, than the U.S. will no longer be free, united, or powerful.

That’s a fact…there is no such thing as a perpetual motion, perpetual money maker, perpetual hand out…

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Sarah Palin would have energized the right – and the left and the middle. She would not have gotten more than 40% of the vote.

People who could not get energized to vote Obama out- or to put the turn around genius in – are every bit as stupid as the morons who voted for Obama.

Basilsbest on November 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM

What don’t we pay for? What is the limit? Why is it seemingly impossible for liberals to get anything , unless it’s from the government?

Why the contempt?

I guess your side is the only side allowed contempt?

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Your effort this morning to blame this on Rush or any other Conservative pundit is weal. Without even their small voices against the liberal media/political machine, we’d never even come close. But please never change the way you manage to make each and every one of your comments such blatant and ironic hypocrisy. It’s a joy to point out who you guys are. Maybe you should be boycotted for name-calling.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM

For true conservatives, the ‘Beltway’ is the wrong way. I’d posted before:

Despite the Narcissist-in-Chief’s self absorption , I wouldn’t put it past the Establishment GOP to execute the McCainian task of nose-diving this campaign…cork-screwing it into the ground.

socalcon on September 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Please recall how pathetic Mr. Rove appeared when he stomped his feet at the call of Ohio… These folks know what they do, but it is NOT winning campaigns.

In high school, my football coach (lord, me must have been a hundred) told us, you don’t ‘win’ a game in the fourth quarter, you win it from the opening whistle… Every block, every tackle, every effort goes into the result. The conservative ‘campaign’ to Nov. 2016 begins today.

Conservative leadership must stand up from the House (it’ll never be the current Speaker) to formulate a different strategy. It’s trite to invoke the saying that defines insanity…..

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM

None of this post election stuff matters. We lost. ObamaTax is the law of the land and will never be repealed. This country as founded is done. Sorry Israel you are on your own as well.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Gotta switch my kid from pre- med program now.. A lot of her classmates are considering.

The medical system will be dominated by foreign born Government doctors.
Mostly Paki’s I would think.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Why didn’t Ed Shultz effect the progressive brand. Let me answer it for you. Because the media attacked Limbaugh and ignored Schultz. Like they ignored the economy, jobs numbers, Benghazi, failed support for Egypt, Libya and the revenge remark. All the while seizing on any single word or catchphrase, binder, 47 percent and running with it 24/7. Obama, today, is still the worst president in my lifetime. No reelection changes that. The media made him and they’ve got four more years of serious propaganda to make to cover how God awful be is.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

First, on the Ed Schultz thing, Ed is a non-entity. Rush is a superstar. I was watching MSNBC (among other channels) and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out who he was.

I don;t know what mainstream media you swim in, but my creek has been flooded with bad economic news these last four years. You may choose not to recall this, but the Obama bounce was killed the day after the convention by a jobs report that was universally described as disappointing.

Benghazi (and Fast and Furious) were manufactured controversies. Screw-ups, to be sure, but not nearly the epochal events Republicans, in their desperation, tried to make them.

Interesting to see you now support the Ghaddafi regime that killed Americans as opposed to the nation where Arabs march against extremists and in favor of America.

The worst president of your lifetime is and always will be Bush, followed by Nixon, followed by Carter.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

hoosierma on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Romney was not the problem… In a democratic system of elections the voters and only the voters are responsible for the people they elect to lead them… I would not feel sorry for all those misery groups that elected Obama twice… This misery groups Blacks, Hispanics, and single women are the worst hit in the four years and they will be the worst hit in the next four years… So let them have more misery under Obama destructive policies because they deserve it… Maybe they can forget their pain by listening to his empty speeches… In other word f*** them all…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

It’s ALL ABOUT food stamps and entitlements. nothing More.

You aholes voted for John Kerry. Remember ?

You’re over thinking you’re Position.

I am now a sholes that voted for Kerry the flip flopper? LOL! I will never vote for any candidate from MA.

Minorities aren’t about food stamps and entitlements. They are mostly from the line of hard working immigrants. They just want to be respected and heard. The Republican Party doesn’t reach out to the minority vote. Blacks think they ar emostly racist and latino (and other immigrants) think Republicans don’t want them here. It’s that simple.

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM
This is so true. My son is pre-med. He taped a Texas Secede poster he drew last night to his college dorm room door. But mainly he needs to choose another field. Medicine as we knew it is gone in this country.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM

HerneTheHunter on November 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I’m Hispanic but that’s not why I Rubio. I think he has an ability to communicate conservatism unlike any Republican I have ever seen (I was a baby during the Reagan years).

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

But Barack Obama accepts 1 million dollars from Bill Maher, who called Sarah Palin a c*nt and a tw@t, and women thought that was ok?

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

You know El Rusbo has an IRS audit coming his way. Soon.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM

You should try reading some statistics…look at the voting minorities, and the % that are on gov. hand outs…pretty shocking.

You think Detroit, Philly, NY, LA, you think those minorities are not on food stamps and entitlements?

You are not very well read…

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

the new GOP platform for success in 2016 /sarc

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

So. How long until Israel hits Iran?

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Full of Sh@t. Republicans offer a handup instead of a handout. Apparently they would rather have a handout. Easier.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Your stupid President and all his adminstration lied about what happened in Benghazi… Those are no screw up those are actual cover up and they have blood on their hands… They could have saved our people in Libya but they did nothing… Why bother the welfare queens agitator with actual work when he is fundrasing and making speeches during the election campaign…

The question is what would Obama do in the next four years as the idiot has no elections to run for… He is going to be bored out of little tiny brain and he would not give a damn about governing not that he gave a damn about it before but this time it would not phase him for a second if the whole country is destroyed….

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM

LOL
You’ve never been to Philly. Or Cleveland.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Sp WTH do we do now?

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Keep calling women stupid. Please.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I see we are joined in commonweal. And my contempt for Rush is real and tangible, but I’m not suggesting that every conservative is contemptible. Wrong, but probably fundamentally OK.

The “MSM” argument is tiresome. You don’t want an objective media, you want a media that conforms exactly to your worldview and you whine about bias whenever your own prejudices are not confirmed by the front page of the New York Times. Losers always blame the ref.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

How do you know since the president is hiding behind executive privilege and not giving any interviews or press conferences?

See this is where you guys fail…holding your people accountable, as long as they are in power, they can “fail”, and you call it manufactured…you do know that an Ambassador was killed, and the president and his surrogates lied about it (than shut up about it and won’t answer any question)…that is not “manufactured”, that’s on the record.

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Folks, the trolls who were mostly hiding because they were buying into our enthusiasm are now here in force to tell us what we did wrong. Don’t even listen to them. Here’s what you need to start thinking about. No candidate we could have fielded could have beat the main stream media PR machine that democrats own. Mitt and Paul did great, as good as I think any of our could have.

You want to win elections, you need to control the label. You don’t need less Conservative pundits out there, you need more. Control the media. You need to hit them in the pocket book. I am off of buying any entertainment from the left. I am done with GE products. I am done with MicroSoft products. Apple and anything with a union label. I will look for Made in China or Korea. I will not make any new purchase till this pathetic excuse for a CinC is out of office. If you need a car/truck buy a used one and pay cash. Look to reduce your tax liability. I’m shooting for zero next year. I start today.

What say you?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Well, I got my prayer answered: that WHOEVER won would win so big that it would be outside the margins of fraud.

Unfortunately it wasn’t Romney who won. Very, very, very unfortunately.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

the new GOP platform for success in 2016 /sarc

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Yeah may be the Republican should start promising these misery groups more freebies and we can get some of them… Super extreme sarcasm…

The Founding Fathers were right when they limited voting rights to property owners… People who are on welfare must not be allowed to vote… Once they get of welfare then they would have the right to vote….

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM

You are not very well read…

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Look at West Virginia, Kentucky and North Alabama. Man, those white folk are some lazy, government cheese-eating mofos.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM

What say you?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I say going “Waaaah! MSM!” and calling for ineffective boycotts isn’t going to win you jack $hit. Because it won’t.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

It’s ALL ABOUT food stamps and entitlements. nothing More.

You aholes voted for John Kerry. Remember ?

You’re over thinking you’re Position.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

In short, as much as it pains me to say,Reid- Pelosi’s leadership in the first two years at getting Obamacare passed was the beginning of the Obama 2012 campaign.

The beltway GOP played catch-up ever since due to the need for a Repeal and Replace ‘plank’ in the platform.

‘every block, every tackle…leads to the victory’

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

See this is where you guys fail…holding your people accountable,

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Tell me again what a great war president and economic master George Bush was.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I see we are joined in commonweal.

No, I was mocking you.

That gives you an excuse for being a hypocrite?

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Sure, tiresome for your side trying to explain away the obvious slant. But it’s there plain as day all the same. I don’t even take a person’s comments seriously if they really try to assert there is no media bias.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM

50% of the people on welfare in this country are blacks (they only make 13% of the population), another 25% of the people on welfare are Latinos (they only make 15% of the population)… Yes, a huge number of blacks, and a good number of Latinos are welfare and they only care about free stuff… Blacks are a lost cause for Republicans, but Latinos are not… Republicans can make some inroads with Latinos but it does take a lot of work… As far as blacks forget it…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

See this is where you guys fail…holding your people accountable,

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Tell me again what a great war president and economic master George Bush was.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Better economy and unemployment numbers than your failure of a chief executive. Golf anyone?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM

And many of them vote democrat… However the numbers about who is on welfare is very clear… 50% of blacks are on welfare and they only make 13% of the population…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Conclusions:

1) Dumbass moderates always get their asses kicked by real big government democrats.

2) GOP is over, done, toast. There is no conservative party anymore, conservatives are fractured and the GOP is doomed to go the way of the Whigs.

3) Voting is pointless. The “Free Shit” party is gaining ground, ObamaCare is going to be implemented, illegals will be legalized and the birth rates and demographics all work against what is left of tradition-minded Americans, the vote of the latter is rendered moot henceforth and forever.

4) May God have mercy on us, we are going to reap a bitter harvest, plan accordingly.

insidiator on November 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I’m mentally disabled http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/ssi.htm.

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Will never, ever buy a UAW built product again, as it is only a contribution that will help further dismantle this country. Which after last night, is all but inevitable. But I see no reason to expedite that death.

The hope to restore the American family and the American way of life was killed last night, The entitlement society has won and the its all downhill from here.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Rest in Peace, United States of America
July 4, 1776 – November 6th, 2012.

Wolftech on November 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

insidiator on November 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Time for the T.E.A. party.

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Rest in Peace, United States of America
July 4, 1776 – November 6th, 2012.

Wolftech on November 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Extremely serious, no-sarc, no-$hit question: where are some rallying points people are going to prepare for the inevitable?

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Wow. So Romney had no clue, and neither did I. He thought it was about jobs.
Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM

heh!

Obama didn’t win on the issues. He won largely because of racial and gender group politics, painting Romney as an evil bigot, with the media to reinforcing that idea.

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 5:34 AM

You know, bluegill, it will take you a long long time before TP conservatives here at HA forgive your non-stop sucking for Romney. What? Romney didn’t lose the issues? Common. Romney didn’t have to lose the issues. He never fought hard on any issues at all. He relied on the bad 4-year performance of Obozo on economy. In all his speeches, he just gave rhetoric that are insufficient to be considered as a policy strategy or concrete solution understandable to the voters. The circumstances are pointing for him to win the issues but he failed to capitalized on it.

You lost your credibility, blue-gill-for-Romney-and-GOPE.

Romney must take the blame for that. In General Election, you don’t just seat as a passive nominee,i.e.,INCUBATING YOURSELF FROM ISSUES BEING THROWN AT YOUR PARTY AND CO-CANDIDATES INSTEAD OF DEFENDING YOUR POSITION IN ALL EXTENT. R & R, including the GOPE establishment, made it as a SUPREME STRATEGY TO AVOID HARD-HITTING SOCIAL ISSUES. They believed that focusing on “general rhetoric about the economy” is enough. They even abandoned those who fell from the traps of the Dems.

Obamacare presented as purely a budgetary problem, forgetting the human side of the issue. Death Panel in the administration, handling of terminal life vs. limits of budget cap, etc. What should be the approach on Medicare, Medicaid, etc. viz. Obamacare?

What’s the solution on the lingering effect of the housing bubble of 2007? Nada.

Rhetoric bordering to lying when it comes to job creation: How specifically can job generation be accomplished? What major job-intensive industries can be built? How are they aligned to the skills of jobless Americans? But but … it’s free market solution. How can you then ensure huge job generation? In short R&R’s rhetoric also lack substance, just like the Obozo’s existing job generation non-techniques.

As mentioned, alternative to immigration amnesty? We know that the demographics has changed. We can’t do anything with the Black people but we can make start making some “spills” on the Hispanics. Hispanic immigrants are workaholics and can add up to the base if nurtured. Where’s the alternative to Obama’s offer? NADA. R&R is so silent… thinking that Rubio as their puppet will somehow get 40% of the Hispanics. GOP/TP made a dent to the Hispanic votes in 2010 due to the issue Obamacare as “mandatory” program, all thanks to the efforts of Tea Party and Palin in appealing to the Hispanic votes. Palin strategically selected key Hispanic candidates displacing traditional white candidates (the displaced candidates of GOPE and their friends became her main enemy within the party).

Where is the strategy to lock up the vote of the libertarian besides free market? Libertarians are the key to future of GOP in FL.

Most of all, only a free stuff can counter a free stuff. But there is a key to free stuff that can come from the Republicans. One option is Share of the State in the Oil and Gas revenues, something that Sarah Palin did in Alaska while she was Governor. Government share is embedded in the international price of oil, the lifeblood of the OPEC countries, so no further market inefficiency because from such free stuff from oil development since the market is already inefficient. But no! No vision whatsoever! Sadly, Palin is the only one capable to sell Oil and other Energy Exploration as “free stuff” for all.

Finally, Benghazi. How did he hammer Obama exactly? Nope. He didn’t want to offend Obozo because it might destroy his beautiful hair style and image on TV.

Haay … the above are lost opportunities because the candidate was a poor replica of Obozo. Poor Ryan. Sad but true. Issues are issues. A candidate must face these issues and provide a learned viewpoint, not ignore them or avoid them to obscure their real positions for the sake of getting elected.

The Amnesty proposal of Obama was left unanswered. Funny, I thought Rubio, of all people, would be wise to advise Romney of the gravity of the said issue. But sorry. Rubio is too overrated and also lightweight thinker. By the way, Rubio is no longer a freshman. MSM knows that Rubio is already in the tank of the GOP/E and the Bushites.

And the worst of all: Like McCain, R&R skipped the women’s vajayjay issue. They did not respond to the accusation. They just totally dismissed the issues. No clear alternative or even attempt to re-frame the issue. In the end, 2 GOP-E heavily funded senatorial positions lost for that matter. One could easily be addressed in forcing Akin to give up his bid and be replaced by TP woman candidate (funny, a Palin/TP candidate).

Tea Party people won the NM Governorship in 2010 due to the populist and libertarian leaning of its conservative narratives. During the primaries, Palin, Paul, some true populist conservatives and libertarian conservatives were maligned here at HA.

GOPE and their sycophants are so awed by the “most decent” Ticket of R&R: no gaffes on major social issues, and thinking that “money money money” is enough to win the day. The Republicans voters have drunk on that with the high expectation of a “sure win”, if not landslide.

In the end, there are things more valuable than money and economy about half of the total voters. Obama proved that even “tears” could also save the day. After all, the voters are not just economic entities. THEY ARE ALSO HUMAN BEINGS that sometimes succumb to emotion! That’s why it is called “polity”.

In the end, the “pity for Obama” saved the election for him.

Haaay … the end of the R&R Team.

Moving forward from McCain of 2008…. then Romney of 2012…. and in 2016, is it Jeb Bush or his puppet Rubio as the most electable candidate? Haaay. Same formula. Same result. Same GOPE-sucking bluegill and the rest of his/her cohorts here at HA.

TheAlamos on November 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Time for the T.E.A. party.

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Too little, too late. Unless Obama and Biden both have heart attacks in the near future, by 2016 whatever the TP can scrape up won’t be able to salvage the nation any more than Ron Paul could.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Conclusions:

insidiator on November 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I agree 100%

Dollayo on November 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Well, first, I didn’t say wah, or NEOCON or any of the other sophomoric catch words you use. I addressed a very tangible and real problem we face as Conservatives and offered at least a marginally effective solution we’ve done before. Cutting off money to liberal media outlets has effected their bottom lines. Look to CNN, Time, Newsweek and such.

You’re one of the worst commenters here because there is no position in your positions. I’m not sure why you even bothered to answer my comment if you didn’t have a better idea to offer in return.

How about this? Hot Air is going to be down in the dumps for a while. Why not use this time to reconnect with some of your Alex Jones buds and join in the chorus about how this is all still because of Bush and the wars and his economy and hidden prisons?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

where are some rallying points people are going to prepare for the inevitable?

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

NADA. After election, GOP doesn’t care on what happened. They always start looking for NEXT IN LINE.

TheAlamos on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

No, I was mocking you.

And I, you.

That gives you an excuse for being a hypocrite?

Not sure what’s hypocritical about that. I pick one, one deserving individual try not to smear whole groups. I am imperfect in this, I’m sure, but Rush makes a calculated effort to offend in bulk.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

What do kids these days, who’ve never spun an LP say they they mean “broken record?”

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Really, because I seem to recall a President who had turned over all power to the Fed and his Treasury Secretary and whimpered home to Texas, leaving behind the worst economic disaster since the Depression.

Lovely chat. But I have to go to the Champagne (French, of course) breakfast that the Left Wing Conspiracy and their media handmaids are sponsoring and then pick up my food stamps, so ta-ta.

But, seriously, if your team can’t accept the blame for losing a winnable race, you’re just going to lose again. And if you tell people — huge chunks of the electorate — that they’re stupid, lazy and unpatriotic, they’re never going to vote for you.

Please, never grow up. If you did, I might have to worry four years from now.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Like this? What does this even mean?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

chickenhawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

How about you actually use your head for something besides a hat rack, drop your pathetic stereotypes, and come up with some actual SOLUTIONS?

Blaming the media isn’t gonna work.

Trying to boycott the big-name brands you mention won’t work.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Like this? What does this even mean?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I’m not gonna explain every post to you but I’ll make an exception:

Where are places that people are gathering (online or off) to try and mutually prepare for the inevitable collapse?

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

At this point, only the House of Representatives stands between The Puppet President’s handlers and the establishment of The Socialist States of America.

Is John Boehner up to the task? He does control the purse strings. He could, if he wanted, hold up the funds for Obamacare, the EPA, SSI, and a host of other ‘programs’ that are eating away at the foundations of the nation.

If not, welcome to a super-sized Greece.

Remember: “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury.” (Attributed, possibly erroneously, to Prof. Alexander Frazer Tytler. See http://www.lorencollins.net/tytler.html )

MrLynn on November 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

‘every block, every tackle…leads to the victory’

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

You are right. But 2010 – a referendum on Ocommiecare- proved there was sanity left in this country.

But at the end of the day, yesterday to be exact, the commies and the Pravda media were able to throw enough shiny things out there to appeal to a more basic nature of of the democrat plantation slave’s human need.

Which one would you choose- Your Food Stamps or having to change to a new doctor, that you may or may not have to pay for? Ocommiecare is secondary to one losing their government cheese. And that is, a majority opinion.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Oh geez… here we go.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Oh geez… here we go.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Shut up.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Sporty1946 on November 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Yes, but the problem is Odumbo – 4 f-ing years later – STILL gets a pass by blaming Bush. Unreal!! Bush 41 was defeated in a better economic environment than we’re in now. Just think about how much we’ve digressed since then.

RandallinHerndon on November 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Well, as my hard-working hubby headed out the door with a very heavy heart, son tweeted that he arrived at work to find a notice that his company will be restructuring their pay policies. Hoping to God he’ll still be working, and making enough to feed his 3 kiddos, keep the house, etc.

Gee, thanks, Preezy.

pambi on November 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Shut up.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

For what you are selling? LMAO — heard it in 06 and 08 and even in 1999 prior to Y2K cutover re computers.

But please…. proceed

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM

RandallinHerndon on November 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

For liberals it is ALL about blaming the other guy, because they just suck that bad. Unfortunately we just got a hell of a wake-up call as to how much the American public goes with that. Politicians will always try to escape responsibility. But when it extends to the citizens…

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM

No, I was mocking you.
And I, you.

You were mocking me, mocking you, fine. More of your rationalization.

That gives you an excuse for being a hypocrite?

In the same sentence where you were carping about Limbaugh you called him Jabba. You don’t even see your own hypocrisy, or do you really see him as fair game for being in the political arena and not her? It’s pure hypocrisy. You don’t like name-calling, don’t o it.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Doesn’t work. From the beginning of the campaign until the end, the media demonstrated left and right they were in the tank for obama. George Bush involved in similar events is all I have to say. The treatment from the media with a Mission Accomplished banner that he didn’t even put up, compared to the crass and obnoxious way obama wiped blood on his face every day for making the gutsy call is only one example. I could write a book about media treatment of of last two candidates in these last two elections. So don’t even try.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Number don’t prove it was anything close to the great depression. But the truth is the economy turned on liberal programs to put people in homes they couldn’t afford and budgets of the 06 Democratic Congress.

Use the time to come up with some more excuses for obama’s failed economy and foreign policy disasters

Please, never grow up. If you did, I might have to worry four years from now.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Really? Grow up? More insults. Tell me again why you hate Rush Limbaugh.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

But please…. proceed

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM

If I hadn’t seen it myself, I couldn’t believe someone was actually stupid enough to compare the re-election of the worst President in United States history to a glorified computer glitch.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Gee, thanks, Preezy.

pambi on November 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I’m concerned that part time will be the new normal. Affects my wife and kids (all adults). Strong families will survive — may mean living in the same house to cut costs but better than paying for an apartment just to have your own place.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

No I’m comparing your hysterics about “meeting up” an waiting for the collapse. See you in Guyana…

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

chickenhawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Blaming the media isn’t gonna work.

Trying to boycott the big-name brands you mention won’t work.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Again, you, who have never been in a uniform, who has no idea of the irony of your dig, just makes me laugh. If you call someone who is a coward and won’t go to war but cheerlead others to go to war, you’ve used the left’s bastardization of the word “chickenhawk” to a tee. And it would probably make the person mad.

Call me a chickenhawk and as a fellow helicopter pilot, I accept it in the author’s original connotation and I welcome it as a compliment. Thanks!

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

If you’d been paying attention in the last year, you’d know I wasn’t cheearleading ANYONE going to war, specifically because Obama is sending our troops to meaningless deaths.

“Murder” is an understatement!

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

It is the situation with my adult daughter. There’s really not much for her and we’re set. She can only get part time work. So we keep her with us till it gets better. The same with our parents. We’ll take them in our home if need be.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

because Obama is sending our troops to meaningless deaths.

“Murder” is an understatement!

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

No military member who dies in the service of their country is “meaningless”. they do what the elected reps tell them to do. If people elect people who send them in harm’s way without the means or authorization to win the responsibility falls on the voters who put that elected representative in power.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

“Murder” is an understatement!

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

You’re not reading my comments. I didn’t say you were cheerleading anyone going to war. I was giving the lefts definition of “chickenhawk”.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Sorry to hear it is affecting your family as well. Had to reassure mine that no matter what the family is strong and will support each other always. Harder to convince her to be positive but to give up hope is to guarantee failure.
I think you may see a move to multi-gen households where more traditional roles of grandparents come into vogue. Before there was welfare there was family.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I get where you’re coming from with that sentiment. But the elected representatives are sending them on something worse than a fool’s errand…

I dunno, it’s kinda a half-full vs. half-empty sentiment.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I’m just glad we’re in a position to help our family. Not everyone is like that.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Sp WTH do we do now?

Who is John Galt on November 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Arm up

RandallinHerndon on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Very true and I think the new normal for many will be families joining together in joint households. Single parents with elderly, etc. Many not related by blood – only economic realities. Will be driven by necessity but may have positive long term effects.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Additionally, this is not a time to find more reasons to divide those of us who are of the same basic mindset Conservatively, it is a time to look again, for those things we agree on and bring us together. Our comments have clashed and we’ve debated with great emotion. But we still look for common goals.

Brad, for me, the past is the past.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Zing!

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

A warning, in the case of Mia Love, form Utah democRAT voters?

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Gad, but you’re a stupid little p@nsy, liveasaslaveanddie.

Solaratov on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 5:34 AM

I disagree. Obama received 10 million fewer votes than in 2008. He won because Mitt received 3 million fewer votes than McCain. 6% of Republicans who voted for McCain decided they would rather have a socialist president than vote for a Mormon.

Basilsbest on November 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Thread winner.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Basilsbest on November 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Mormon had nothing to do with it…they didn’t see a big enough difference between Obama and Mitt…I said at the beginning, months ago, the important issues are off the table with Mitt.

ObamaCare/RomneyCare, off the table, bail outs, off the table, that fact is, people did not see a clear enough vision of the difference between Obama and Mitt. Mitt was a “socialist” as you would call him when he was Gov.

Mitt is a classy guy, but the nation wants a fighter, a doer, a person who will “mix it up”…Mitt had his chance in the second and third debates, and he let Obama slide. Mitt should have gone in for the kill, he should have taken Obama down in public, defense didn’t win this game, offense did.

right2bright on November 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

The worst president of your lifetime is and always will be Bush, followed by Nixon, obama, followed by Carter.Followed by FDR.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

And, exactly which arabs are marching “against extremists and in favor of America“?

You’re a fool.