Video: Romney concession speech

posted at 1:40 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We heard it as we were going off the air on the Hugh Hewitt Show marathon — a classy end to a disappointing evening.   Mitt Romney graciously conceded defeat to Barack Obama in the presidential election after nearly two years of campaigning, offering his prayers for Obama’s efforts and for America’s future:

“Paul [Ryan] and I have left everything on the field … we have given our all to this campaign,” he said, adding, “I so wish I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead this country in a different direction,” but that he would pray for the current president.

He also thanked his chosen running mate, saying, “Besides my wife Ann, Paul was the best choice I ever made.”

He went on to thank his family, especially his wife, Ann. “She would have been a wonderful first lady,” he told the crowd.

He cautioned against partisan politics in the days and months to come, saying the he would “pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation.”

“We can’t risk partisan bickering … we citizens have to rise to the occasion.”

I’ll have more thoughts on this in the morning, but figured you’d want a chance to comment on the speech tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10 11 12

All those things are bald-faced lies that your side made up and gave your MSM buddies to tag us with.

Those things came out of YOUR dark souls.

cane_loader on November 7, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Even now you’re in denial.

I forgot to mention that your hysterical homophobia seems to have cost you the youth vote.

Take a long look at your spokesmodels — the Levins and Limbaughs of the world, frothing haters who want Obama to fail, think Hispanics come to America to go on welfare and steal, at toss the word “slut” around with perverse glee.

These people are bad for your brand.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM

That he lost (and lost pretty bad) indicates that we overestimated SOMETHING.

Religious_Zealot

We overestimated the intelligence of the American voter.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Exit polling indicated 15% said Hurricane Sandy was the number 1

Thats an amazing stat though isn’t it? What president would have done any different. He walked around and looked empathetic. And 15% said it was the NUMBER ONE ISSUE?

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

WOULD YOU HAVE BELIEVED ME?

If I had told you Obama would lose 10% of his vote from 2008 and still win?

People, something is amiss here. Something very odd happened.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I didn’t know about Mia Love. :-( Bachmann did pull it out, however.

Mia Love, Allen West. Looks like a warning to a certain class of Americans. Know your place on that plantation.

MNHawk on November 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Yeah.. Mia Love was a sad one. :( Gosh, there are no happy takeaways from this election. Seriously, at least in 2008, I had Mark Kirk to celebrate. I’m not sure what I’m going to celebrate today.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Gonna try to sleep. On top of this, I’ve got a kidney stone and it hurts like hell. Not as much as America’s a$$ is going to hurt in couple years from tonight’s little experiment in “I’d Like To Teach the World To Sing.”

cane_loader on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

OK so I’m not even going to bother reading all the comments here, I know how most of you feel. I have been around for a long time sitting in the background. Time to come out of hiding.

There are far too many that are now on the government crack for this to have turned out any other way. On top of that Chicago thugary now rules the day. Immorality is now the law of the land. If it feels good do it.

Now is the time to stand firm on your principals and point out all the wrong that has occurred in this administration and all that is yet to come. Obama will be unleashed in a second term and the ruination of our once great country will be all but complete by the end of his next term if we allow it. Real simple, do something, anything but never give up.

New Patriot on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

My Testament. My take.

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

MNHawk on November 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

A warning, in the case of Mia Love, form Utah voters?

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Deb Fisher soundly spanked Bob Kerrey in NE…

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

The celebration by Obama supporters will come to an end when reality sets in. The reality of hyperinflation, Obamacare taxes, unenmployment and last but best of all when the freebies come to a screeching halt. It’s coming people. Hang on to your wallets.

dddave on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

The election was D+6.

Republican’s need to run a fiscal conservative and a social libertarian. Nothing else has any chance of winning.

Obama may now want immigration reform, but one group surely does not ….. DEMOCRAT’S. If they agree to that they lose the demagoguery that gets them 68% of the Hispanic vote, they giving back leverage to the Republican’s. Won’t happen.

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

KJ is back…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Shove your clueless personal insults.

I hope you die of cancer after you starve to death as a karma repayment.

cane_loader on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Oh God !
John Kerry as SofS ?

Jabberwock on November 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

So if Romney got as many votes as McCain he would have been elected.

mrscullen on November 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Maybe now you guys will wake up! You have all been lied to. You are lied to everyday. Everytime you turn on Fox News, everythime you listen to Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity and Levin. They mislead you everyday single day. Break out of the left right paradigm. Break out of the two party system. Stop voting for the lesser of two evils. Turn off your television, turn off your radio. Start reading books…old books. Re-learn your history. Learn about who really runs this country. Learn about money and about whoever controls a nations currency cares not who makes it’s laws!

Visit this link for some interesting quotes.

dom89031 on November 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Will we ever here from Alan West again? Doubtful.

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

watching my fellow UAW “brothers” cheer the result is hilarious. I can’t wait till the company starts cutting. they are too stupid to understand the cause and effect.

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

KJ is back…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

See, I told ya’

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Deb Fisher soundly spanked Bob Kerrey in NE…

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Good for you.. I live in IL. I even lost my pretend Congressman. Luckily, apparently I’m registered to vote near my ‘rents home in Randy Hultgren’s district now or something.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

There’s no class in being a loser.

EvilCapitalist on November 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

My Testament. My take.

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

That’s a very good piece.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

PERFECT KJ

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Anybody wanna guess what all these have in common?

Florida – Rick Scott
Iowa – Terry Branstad
Michigan – Rick Snyder
Maine – Paul LePage
New Jersey – Chris Christie
New Mexico – Susana Martinez
Nevada – Brian Sandoval
Ohio – John Kasich
Pennsylvania – Tom Corbett
Virginia – Bob McDonnell
Wisconsin – Scott Walker

Yep…all are states that went for President Obama, which have Republican governors. (Yes, I know Florida hasn’t been decided yet – but really, should it even have been this close?)

Mitoch55 on November 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

That he lost (and lost pretty bad) indicates that we overestimated SOMETHING.

Religious_Zealot

We overestimated the intelligence of the American voter.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM

We were wrong to think that the FOOD STAMP PRESIDENT achievement …..was a bad thing.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I am quitting following HotAir and politics for a LONG while. You all and build your “paradise” without me. For me, there is still a life to lead and savoy, here or elsewhere. Adieu.

bayview on November 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I am leaving as well. There is work to be done, and I can’t do it here.

Adieu. Best wishes to all,

Alexa

Cody1991 on November 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Probably just should do immigration reform.. no? Take it off the table like Bush wanted to in 2007.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM

So if Romney got as many votes as McCain he would have been elected.

mrscullen on November 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Yup.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM

An Open Letter to Our Side

We lost because we allow ourselves to be led by losers and weasels who are content with second place. As long as the moderate GOP Establishment remains able to make a buck while losing, nothing will change.

1) This was a replay of 2008 with their chosen loser nominee (s). If this is the best that the smart guys and a billion dollars can do, it is pathetic. Second place is last place. We are losers being lead by idiots or saboteurs.

2) The SoCo0n PR war was lost long ago. It is past time to shut the Hell up about abortion while campaigning. Abortion is the middle class white woman’s morning after pill. She will never give it up. Either find some smarter Evangelicals or kick them to the curb at election time. You don’t have to give up your principles but you do have to learn when a sales campaign is dead.

3) The debates and the buying into the MSM’s rules must stop or all of this is pointless.

4) We stood here and listened to subversive horsecrap from our own people and let RINOS kill off every candidate other than “the one who can win this” who lost yesterday. Those of us who screamed loudest were right.

5) Until someone tough enough to change these things shows up and all of us have the backbone to support that person, yesterday will be repeated endlessly.

6) When you are willing to change all these things, call me. Until then, I’m done. Done with the horsescrap you are selling me and done with playing this f*cking game to lose.

7) In twenty minutes I came up with a better analysis and game plan than the best people we’ve got. You will ignore it. Figure it out for yourselves. Then start ignoring the losers. You might start winning.

SD

SurferDoc on November 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Can’t wait to see how the Sequester Issue is solved now.

Jabberwock on November 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Shove your clueless personal insults.

I hope you die of cancer after you starve to death as a karma repayment.

cane_loader on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

A lovely Christian attitude you have.

And I’m not singling out anyone personally. I’m telling you how it is. You can’t systematically alienate huge chunks of the electorate without paying the price. it’s arguable that Rush Limbaugh cost you the election with that whole Fluke thing.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Love you, too, darlin’. Please share.

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Mitt and the RINO’S were punked again last night by the media and the purple-lipped Marxist . They brought a feather to a gun fight and lost . Romney never understood that he needed to campaign against the media and rally the people to his side to save our country . He never attacked Jug Ears character and never challenged the myth that Barry was a super cool nice guy . That is why the mindless morons churned out by our failing public schools voted for there own destruction . They just want to vote for the guy all the cool people like . Say goodbye to your doctor and say hello to six dollars a gallon gas and no jobs . Romney took the high road and it will lead us all straight to the poor house . Thanks Mittens – Thanks GOP – now for the next four year Boehner will continue to weep like a little girl while Barry dismantles the constitution and finishes us off for good . Well done !

There is no point in looking to 2016 anymore . We will be finished by then . As we collapse I am hoping some states will be permitted to leave the union peacefully to start over .

DeweyWins on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

You’re looking for Republicans while I’m looking for all the independents and moderates we were promised Romney would deliver. What happened to them?

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

All I know is that 23 million voters are missing.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

America’s revenge is maobama has inherited his own mess.

fatigue on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

It seems in four years, Democrats have been able to goose government dependency in the cities into a majority. We have become 51 percent wolves and 49 percent sheep, voting for dinner. The system we were given by our Founding Fathers has been broken, and I fear will not be fixed peacefully.

Sekhmet on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Love you, too, darlin’. Please share.

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

She was worried because you were late to the wake…

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Obama did not win, Republicans just walked off the field.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

The thought that I have to listen to the POS for the next 4 years makes me physically ill.

Think about this.

The last 2 budgets presented by this POTUS got ZERO votes. ZERO. Yet we left him in charge?

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

will do

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

we can’t have all the fun :)

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Gingotts on November 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Go f@ck yourself. Your side lost. You don’t like it, get the F out of this country.
HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Please please please come to 75647 and talk to me that way in person. Please???

garnkikaloid on November 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

My Testament. My take.

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Very well done :o)

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM

ok…

just absolutely depressed…the country is on a slippery slope and I see no way for us to recover until we hit rock bottom…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Me too, I can’t even think straight.

Naturally Curly on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Republicans just walked off the field.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

And can you answer the question as to why they would do that?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

We lost because there are far more people who have been duped & eluded into thinking the government will fix their problems.
And as those problems have gotten worse, they have become even more dependent upon their slavemasters who have driven them into bondage in the first place.
Relax my friends.
Romney would not have been able to fix America’s woes anyway. Not like we really need.
Nothing will fix America’s woes at this point bcs there are just too many dependent citizens who are voting themselves more dependency.
I’m not sure just how you counteract that.
Human beings want what they consider the safe route.
This is why the lie of socialism AKA communism is so attractive.
Remember only about a third of most Americans in colonial American were for the Rev0lutionary war at first.
That changed over time. But there were still many many loyalists around at the end of things.
Freedom is too hard for most people. Bcs it means personal accountability.

Badger40 on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Ouch. Per Sean Trende, if Romney/Ryan would’ve gotten the same vote totals per state as McCain/Palin, Obama would’ve lost….

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

When you nominate folks from Massachusetts this is what you get.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Naturally Curly on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

havne’t watched one minute of the mika show this am…couldn’t stomach it…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:51 AM

We had a weak field this year. I am very hopeful that we will Grade A presidential candidates in 2016. Rubio and Jindal impress me.

Also, we will probably take more House seats in 2 years. Congress is more important than the presidency. It’s Congress that holds the purse strings. Remember in 1994 a Republican House was a historic thing. With Obama in office we will probably have a Republican House for a while.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Ouch, indeed.

KickandSwimMom on November 7, 2012 at 7:51 AM

bayview on November 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I hope you still come back and post at least occasionally. I always found your comments to be very informative and worthwhile. You would definitely be missed!

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Ouch indeed.

By the way, here’s an interesting comment:

Interesting that Obama got 45% of independents, roughly the same # McCain got in 08. All we heard after 08 was how toxic Palin was to independents and how unelectable she was and how you need independents. Obama pulled Palin #s among independents and still won comfortably. Is he toxic now?

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

You are dishonest even in victory.

35% of Ovommie voters do not know who Biden was.
80% of Ocommie voters did not know what happened in Benghazi

80% of Ocommie voters do not know who Fluke is.

This was about FOOD STAMPS and ENTITLEMENTS that the mean Rs wanted to take away from voters.

Fluke ? Your color must be HuffPo troll.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Eat your food stamps and enjoy the empty table that Obama has prepared for you. Think of Staten Island. That is what is in store for you. Not for me. For you.

Oh, and eat your peas!

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Moderates who would have voted for Romney changed their minds because of what Rush said about her? Sure is a delicate electorate.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Ohhh where to start, where to start.

Let’s start with the countless laughable pouts of people taking their ball and going home.

The remaining people can either wake the f*ck up and embrace compromise (compromise that Obama must embrace too) and move the country forward, or choose obstructionism and impede everything. The latter makes no sense, given the electorate’s clear rejection of that path.

Now where are those Hotair clowns who bet me a two month ban based on the outcome.

Dave Rywall on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Oh, and another thing. I know you want to vent, I’ve been there. But, having lost a winnable race to a Kenyan with 8% unemployment, instead of raging about how stupid and lazy the American people are, you might want to — as Clinton did in ’92 — look at people who might have voted for you and ask why they didn’t.

Maybe, you know, telling a bunch of blue collar workers worried about their jobs that cutting taxes for millionaires is good for the masses doesn’t impress them any more.

Maybe people are pretty sure that a defense budget that exceeds the combined defense budget of the next ten nations combined is large enough, and they’d rather see than money spent elsewhere.

MAybe talking about balancing the budget while cutting taxes doesn’t make sense.

Could be other things. But telling people that they’re stupid is no way to win them over.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 7:51 AM

After Ryan debacle, I am still surprised people are pimping Jindal and Rubio. They aren’ likely to do any better.

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

When you nominate folks from Massachusetts this is what you get.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I always thought it was mistake to nominate someone who wasn’t from a red state. Republicans aren’t going to get excited about a moderate from a liberal state. However, he was the best candidate we had this year. I was a Newt supporter for a while but he just flopped.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Well, America. It’s been nice knowing ya’. Glad we had these 36 years together. I look into the eyes of my 6 year old, my 4 year old, and my 3 month old, and realize they will never know the America I grew up loving with all my heart – an America in which they can make anything of themselves. One day, I’ll be able to sit down with them, and talk to them about yesterday – the day America died. Rest in Peace, Lady Liberty.

RandallinHerndon on November 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Dave Rywall on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

the thing is obama will never compromise….he had his chance after the 2010 shellacking…nada…he could have acted like a leader and did something

it’ll be ssdd

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM

This country is dead to me. I no longer love this country or what it has become. I am pulling out of the web, cancelling the paper and the cable. You people in the east coast, freeze and die. California, you are on your way to becoming a third world country, enjoy it. This was once the greatest country in the world, not any more. We have some land in the country, we are going to abandon the house and live there for a while and watch the carnage unfold. People are to stupid to know what is going to happen to them. Let them wail when it all hits the fan. We will be long gone. It was great while it lasted.

megthered on November 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM

My conservative sister in Massachusetts is actually crying this morning. That screwed-up state elected another lying, cheating Kennedy and elected Elizabeth Warren.

Heck, I heard that Jesse Jackson Jr. was re-elected to represent Illinois while sitting in the Mayo Clinic getting rehab!

What is wrong with the people in this country!!!

KickandSwimMom on November 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM

But why would enthusiasm and crowds prove anything?

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Of course it doesn’t prove anything. It’s just one factor among many. Listen, I don’t care what you think. The huge drop-off in the turnout for this election is just very strange.

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I think Rubio and Jindal have much more appeal than Ryan. I was surprised Romney didn’t pick Rubio to begin with.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

America’s revenge is maobama has inherited his own mess.

fatigue on November 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

And from this there is no escape.

Jabberwock on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM

ok…

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Me too, I can’t even think straight.

Naturally Curly on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Except that the people of this country who voted for maintaining ObamaCare and the Republicans who are responsible for nominating the only candidate in the field who couldn’t/wouldn’t deploy that effectively own this disaster. Screw ‘em they deserve socialized medicine and a two tiered system.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

You were also lied to by conservative bloggers and pundits who saw poll after poll and just said “I refuse to believe it.” You bought into scam artists like unskewed polls.com. You listened to B.S. about “party ID” in the polls over sampling Republicans. In short, you got hoodwined by the conservative media.

How can you trust the conservative media on anything when they have proven to be so entirely wrong in this election.

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I don’t want to get into petty insults, but you are very, very wrong about what was going on with the polls.

I’m a former high school math teacher who taught statistics (among other things). I assure you that the validity of a poll is SOLELY based on the validity of its sample.

And this is where Ed was correct in what he was doing and what was wrong with the polls.

Let’s admit the obvious first – the voting polls with the heavy Dem skew (D+5 to D+7) turned out to be spot on.

However, the problem was that the sample percentages being used in these polls did not match the voter identification and intensity polls being done by the very same polling outfits.

Just about EVERY poll done on voter identification and intensity showed a depressed Dem base, Independents going to Romney at an almost 2:1 ration and an excited Republican base. This all lead to the R+1 to R+5 samples.

Which, again, was IGNORED by the same polling outfits. Thus there was a MAJOR discrepancy in the polling – should the samples be D+5 or R+1?

Many here chose to believe the polling on voter identification and intensity because it matched what we were seeing (Obama drawing much fewer people to rallies, Romney drawing huge, huge crowds) and hearing.

As I said earlier, the postmortem on this election hasn’t happened yet, but one of the things we MUST figure out is WHY the voter identification polling didn’t show itself in the actually voting.

Religious_Zealot on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I thought it was Obama with the “enthusiasm gap.”

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The glee with which his contempt for women was embraced — and Romeny’s failure to distance himself — was the turning point in the “War on Women” theme.

54% of the electorate are women, they went Obama 55-45.

Thank you, Rush.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Mitt Romney: This is America, we can do anything!

American public: We don’t feel like it. Can we just get stoned, instead?

MJBrutus on November 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Exit polling indicated 15% said Hurricane Sandy was the number 1

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

That same exit poll said only 8% made their decision in the past few days, so something obviously doesn’t match there.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I thought it was Obama with the “enthusiasm gap.”

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

It was. Obama lost 11 million voters and Romney lost 5 or 6 million.

Obama just had more voters to lose and Romney didn’t make any gains from 2008.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Lady Thatcher: “But what you would have is not only that the rich be poorer, but that the poor be poorer!”

I’m glad I’m old enough to have lived through Reagan and that my parents are healthy, retired, and very well off financially because at the peak of their careers he was their President.

Marcus on November 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Mitt Romney: This is America, we can do anything!

American public: We don’t feel like it. Can we just get stoned, instead?

MJBrutus on November 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

LOL, that sums it up. Preznit Free Phone!

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

What is wrong with the people in this country!!!

KickandSwimMom on November 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Cherokee Nation mindset……perhaps. (If you’re old enough to remember that tune)

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

It amazes me:
- How the Romney team was so wrong in predicting their chances of winning.

- How McCain/Palin actually did better than Romney/Ryan.
Popular vote McCain: 59,934,814 Popular vote Romney: 56,931,709 (Fox news latest counts-probably not the final tally.)

- How so many Republicans did not vote.

- How so much money on both sides was aimed at getting out the vote; however, millions and millions fewer people on both sides voted.

albill on November 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Ya ! Sometimes they’re just to stupid to listen.

Jabberwock on November 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

LOL, and I’m sure the electorate was just thrilled when Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a c*nt and a twat. And I’m sure they approved of Ed Schultz calling Laura Ingraham a “talk slut.”

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Absentee Illinois Representative Jesse Jackson Jr. who is currently under criminal investigation Re-Elected

But yeah, republicans are just too extreme, lol.

Those things came out of YOUR dark souls.

cane_loader

It’s pretty sad. They’ve just won and they STILL feel the need to continue lying. It’s almost pathological.

…if you’re trying to sell me the idea that Christie COST Romney the election I’m simply not buying it.

Rational people do not suddenly forget the economy, Libya, Israel and never-ending regulations just because someone praised the president for actually doing their job.

And if it’s actually true that a couple of photo-ops changed the election?

Then we are permanently screwed because the American electorate is too dumb to vote for it’s own self-interests.

Religious_Zealot

One problem: You’re assuming voters are rational. It’s not longer in doubt…they aren’t. Case in point: Women voted overwhelmingly for Obama because they thought Romney-Ryan was going to sew up their vajajay after raping them or something.

Voters were already thinking about Bush screwing up the economy, and Christie in his over the top praise for Obama’s magically perfect hurricane response reminded them of Bush killing black people during Katrina. We ARE permanently screwed, my friend. There is no fixing stupid.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Part of me suspects that those votes are gone, as in not viable votes for Republicans.

If you weren’t motivated to get out in this election you never will be.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM

We have been focusing on the economic decline of America. But America is definitely in a cultural decline. If all Americans want to do is smoke pot and sleep around…..the economy is not going to get better.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM

The vote isn’t all counted yet. So can we please stop acting like we know anything about turnout yet.

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Socons are done. This was your last POTUS election. Save it for your local candidates.

Romney did his best to keep the socon crap out of the race and the media pulled it in anyway. It was enough.

Abortion is decided in America. Yo can do nothing about it on the national level. Especially now that the Supreme Court is gone and Roe is never going back to the states. Ever.

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

10 million who voted for Obama in 2008 didn’t. 3M for McCain didn’t vote for Romney.
I suspect those 10M were not happy about Obama’s policies but at the same time didn’t trust the GOP after the primaries forced absolutist positions on things such as illegal immigrants. McCain was big on immigration reform and I think that explains the drop on the R side.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I have two words: Voter fraud.

avagreen on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Plus if Romney/Ryan had gotten the popular vote numbers McCain/Palin received in 2008:
Popular vote McCain: 59,934,814
Popular vote Romney: 56,931,709
Romney would have beat Obama’s 2012 vote count:
59,542,077

Amazingly incredible…
Do not understand the lower vote counts.

albill on November 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Also, Colin Powell and Chris Christie, enjoy the table settings with Obama at State dinners.

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM

promachus on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM

If you seriously mean Palin she better get off TV and get elected to something in 2014.

Marcus on November 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Hey, you fight the good fight, and never surrender to the commies. But the deck is stacked.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.

But remember, sooner or later, you run out of someone else’s money. It’s coming.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

If you weren’t motivated to get out in this election you never will be.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Is there some reason Romneycare should have such a greater appeal to conservatives than Obamacare?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Women voted for Obama because of idiot comments like this from your side.

You can’t really be that clueless, can you?

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Being wrong on polls and elections predictions does not make us or our media wrong on the principles and the truth… In fact we still have the right principles of the Founding Fathers and the truth on our side… How can we trust the liberals and their media when they lie about the big stuff such as the economy, Bengazi, and Obama utterly failed record… Winning elections does not mean that you right and losing elections does not mean that you are wrong… Anyway your party still and always be the party of the parasite class that is fed on the stolen money from the producers…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You are completely wrong. Besides the most important issue, the issue that created the tea party, ObamaTax wasn’t even pushed by Romney because he was the father of it.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Like I just said. You can’t have economic conservatism without social conservatism. Social liberalism leads to people asking you pay for their contraception and abortion. Oh and we more single mothers so they want government to pay for their child care. Oh legalizing marijuana REALLY encourages young kids to get a job. I’ve never met a pot smoker that just sits around all day. LOL!

You can’t have economic conservatism without social conservatism.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM

What is wrong with the people in this country!!!

KickandSwimMom

While under criminal investigation at that.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM

54% of the electorate are women, they went Obama 55-45.

Thank you, Rush.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Rush’s comments were directed squarely at 30 year old college students who publicly beg for free contraception. The best Romney could have done would be to say he disagreed with the way Rush worded his statement. Showing sympathy for Fluke, how would that have helped him with conservatives who in fact do have contempt for Fluke?

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Amazingly incredible…
Do not understand the lower vote counts.

albill on November 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Easy, Palin wasn’t on the ticket and ObamaTax wasn’t pushed as an issue.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I am sick, need to go back to bed…

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I had to take a sick day today! I work in a school and absolutely can not look at the people that voted for Obama! Problem is-I have to face them tomorrow :(

Going back to bed to lick my wounds.

wolverinefan on November 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM

SurferDoc on November 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM

This. More than anything else, this.

Granted, the field of potential Republican nominees was weaker this time around than I would have liked. But every true conservative, or even close to true conservative, was summarily kicked out because “they can’t win.” Well, ladies and gentlemen, this was the single most winnable presidential election in our lifetimes, and Romney lost it. Obama did not win it. Romney lost it.

On the Republican ticket, conservatives win, moderates lose. Period. George W. Bush was an aberration. In 2000, he squeaked by a narrow electoral college victory and lost the popular vote. In 2004, he was re-elected due to the historic event of 9/11. Barring him, moderates lose. George H.W. Bush lost. Dole lost. McCain lost. Romney lost. When we nominate moderates, we lose. Period.

It’s time to kick the “GOP establishment” to the curb. No, it’s way past time.

Shump on November 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM