Video: Romney concession speech

posted at 1:40 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We heard it as we were going off the air on the Hugh Hewitt Show marathon — a classy end to a disappointing evening.   Mitt Romney graciously conceded defeat to Barack Obama in the presidential election after nearly two years of campaigning, offering his prayers for Obama’s efforts and for America’s future:

“Paul [Ryan] and I have left everything on the field … we have given our all to this campaign,” he said, adding, “I so wish I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead this country in a different direction,” but that he would pray for the current president.

He also thanked his chosen running mate, saying, “Besides my wife Ann, Paul was the best choice I ever made.”

He went on to thank his family, especially his wife, Ann. “She would have been a wonderful first lady,” he told the crowd.

He cautioned against partisan politics in the days and months to come, saying the he would “pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation.”

“We can’t risk partisan bickering … we citizens have to rise to the occasion.”

I’ll have more thoughts on this in the morning, but figured you’d want a chance to comment on the speech tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12

I hear you. I’m about ready for a long HA break again…

OmahaConservative

I need to finish so many other projects around the house and thought it was going to be hard to wean myself from lurking on HA, for the last 4 years. I’m one and done.

I’d be crying alone right now, but hubbie decided to stay home and take care of me.

Typicalwhitewoman on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Brad, for me, the past is the past.

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Same here Hawk – I’m with you. sorry for delay in reply – was away from the computer.

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

McCain gave a gracious concession speech in 2008. So now Romney gives a gracious concession speech in 2012. The GOP has been and is classy.

BUT, the socialist Obama is in the White House for four more years. Can we focus on what we as conservative Republicans need to do to win the Presidency and move the country to the right direction?

My own view is that Ronald Reagan provided the blueprint. No more talk about who is electable. We need to provide a vision of where we want to take America. We need to have policy specifics. We need to be teaching the American people the whys of our vision and our policies.

Phil Byler on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Fluke? Who wanted her nice lesbian friend with the ovary problem to be able to get the birth control pill prescribed by her doctor, just as I get my prescription meds for my blood pressure, and who never once mentioned her own birth control status?

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM

This illustrates the willful disinformation surrounding the birth control issue in the health insurance bill. Birth control medication for medical reasons was never going to be excluded.

If Romney had said that he was against free birth control but…

And this is the other part of the problem. The issue was never about being “against free birth control”. It was about requiring religious organizations to pay the cost against their religious convictions. Some of them, given the choice, may have decided to cover the prescriptions anyway. But even your characterization of the issue is less extreme than the wider portrayal of Romney et al wanting to “prevent women from having birth control”.

This utter misunderstanding of the conservative position completely undermines your sarcasm about the bias in the way the media presents political information to their audience. People by default do not understand the real discussion to be had on the issue, and combined with persistent vilification by the left as hating blacks, women, gays, and everyone-else-not-like-you, they discourage people from even wanting to understand, believing that fully half the country are closet Klansmen just waiting for the chance to take their bajillions of guns and assassinate everyone they don’t like.

The Schaef on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oh, and not even all types of birth control, but the kind that are considered to be abortifacients.

The Schaef on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Yes, an off year election in 2010 can be used to extrapolate anything you want.

I am sure that the RNC just keeps nominating centrists for its own insane reasons.

They don’t spend money or effort on polls and consultants and defeating a more numerous party is so easy. All the Dems have is the media, the pop culture, a message of free stuff and the meme of selfish, warmongering past Republican administrations in their quill.

Yes, and we centrists, Republicans (or conservatives) sure tried to make the people take Obamacare even though Mitt promised to repeal it about twice a day and three times a day on weekends.

And we attacked Congressman West, et al. just because we are sick.

We need Mourdock or Aiken to be our next presidential nominee.

With all due respect, I thought that the guileful Dick Morris misread our present situation but you win my Roy “Wrong Way” Riegels trophy.

Appropriately enough, he went to Berkeley — which is a fact I have used on more than one Southern California liberal.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Demograpgics. Obama coalition of blacks, latino, unmarried women (68/30 margin last night) , young voters and white liberal is way too strong to overcome by running up the white men and married white women vote.

Sarah Palin would have done better than Mitt Romney because she is an EVERYDAY woman that is who she says she is. She would have energized the Tea Party like 2008 and certainly gotten more votes than Romney (just like McCain did)

jules on November 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

That list of folks has no more use for Sarah than Mitt.

And poor Sarah also has the problem of energizing white liberals every time she opens her mouth better than any five hour energy drink.

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Folks, the trolls who were mostly hiding because they were buying into our enthusiasm are now here in force to tell us what we did wrong. Don’t even listen to them. Here’s what you need to start thinking about. No candidate we could have fielded could have beat the main stream media PR machine that democrats own. Mitt and Paul did great, as good as I think any of our could have.

You want to win elections, you need to control the label. You don’t need less Conservative pundits out there, you need more. Control the media. You need to hit them in the pocket book. I am off of buying any entertainment from the left. I am done with GE products. I am done with MicroSoft products. Apple and anything with a union label. I will look for Made in China or Korea. I will not make any new purchase till this pathetic excuse for a CinC is out of office. If you need a car/truck buy a used one and pay cash. Look to reduce your tax liability. I’m shooting for zero next year. I start today.

What say you?

hawkdriver on November 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

With you.

I’ve quit Microsoft and GE (especially the light bulbs) some time back, have quit going to movies or renting movies except those made by or have stars that are Conservative (has given me loads of time ;) ) My husband, who is the head chemist with the city-owned power plant and who orders mega supplies of equipment/chemicals to keep the water pure, said this a.m. that he’s not buying anything made in the North East part of this country, or with union labels. Don’t know how that will go, but he’s gonna try.

I subscribe to our local paper, but have discontinued it in the past because of their sometimes liberal slant. Probs will do so again. I also write TV shows and companies that advertise on programs that I find objectionable…..most recently the HGTV series that promote anything gay. We have a gay cabal right now……have watched gay designers/contractors win over non-gays in contests, even though their work was inferior.

Regardless of one’s views, a proactive stance is what will matter if enough people do it.

avagreen on November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Benghazi (and Fast and Furious) were manufactured controversies. Screw-ups, to be sure, but not nearly the epochal events Republicans, in their desperation, tried to make them.

urban elitist on November 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM

You are a disturbed person. And, part of the problem.

avagreen on November 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

avagreen on November 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The only real controversies were the attack on “reproductive rights” over birth free birth control, the 1,999 ways of being racist without knowing it as seen by MSNBC, the failure to love and welcome people who illegally invited themselves across the border, the spitting on a congressman when nobody saw it, Rush Limbaugh’s great idea to call a thirty year old law student a foul epithet, Mitch McConnell’s and John Boehner’s drive to avoid disaster by defeating a president of the other party…..

IlikedAUH2O on November 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Phil Byler on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

In the end, that’s what Romney tried to do, but it was too little too late, and our forces were too scattered and too weak to breach the media pike-wall protecting the voters’ erroneous perceptions.

Advances were made, however, and many people did turn away from the Democrats. But not enough turned to the GOP.

Judging from the arc of the campaign rallies, we generally agree on where we want to take America, but the commentaries here and elsewhere show that we do not entirely agree on how to get there.

We may never agree completely on policy specifics, but we do need to teach the American people, who have gone through too many generations of ignorance, “the whys of our vision and our policies”.

We are a nation of free people, subject to no temporal authority save that embodied in the Constitution, and desiring no authority over others save that necessary for the protection of our lives and our substance;
– we value moral integrity over pragmatic conciliation;
– we value families over government programs;
– we value individual freedom over group coercion;
– we value private property over communal aggregation;
– we value faithful execution of impartial laws over erratic and whimsical prosecution of unjust legislation.

Blurring this American vision with endless fractal divisions over policy specifics is not a teaching strategy.

Hacking and slashing the people who have not veered to the left but who disagree among themselves as to the most appropriate policies for implementing the American vision is not a teaching strategy.

Vilifying and deriding the people who have decided that they don’t like the policies of the left and are just now discovering their common ground with the right is not a teaching strategy.

Restoring the American vision requires immense self-control and generosity of spirit, which is why it so often falls prey to the lures of indulgence and greed, temptations which we must resolutely shun on both the personal and the political level.

Only then will we elect leaders who can connect their policies with our vision, enacting provident legislation that we can point to and say,
“This is how it is done!”

AesopFan on November 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM