The youths dig in for Hopenchange 2.0

posted at 4:01 pm on November 7, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I must admit, I thought that disenchantment with the shoddy results of President Obama’s first term, combined with the diminished spirit of Hopenchange, would mean we’d see some significant shift from the record-breaking decisiveness of the youth vote that was the 2008 election. I would’ve thought that living on their parents’ couches might’ve compelled them to get off the couch for a new candidate, or at least not get off the couch at all, but it looks like small-potatoes and social issues, economic malpractice, and some well-orchestrated pandering really do go a long way with America’s young people, and the strength of the demographic is here to stay. Via Politico:

Obama easily won the youth vote nationally, 67 percent to 30 percent, with young voters proving the decisive difference in Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio, according to an analysis by the Center for Research and Information on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University. Obama won at least 61 percent of the youth vote in four of those states, and if Romney had achieved a 50-50 split, he could have flipped those states to his column, the study said.

About half of all eligible people ages 18 to 29 voted in Tuesday’s election, roughly the same level as 2008, according to Peter Levine, the center’s director. The youth vote’s share of the electorate actually increased slightly from 18 percent to 19 percent. In total, 22 million to 23 million young people voted, according to the analysis.

As I tweeted last night, the reality of young people’s economic situation means that they definitely have a Hopenchange hangover (a lingering youth unemployment rate double the national average, hem hem), whether they realize it or not — but I guess they thought a little hair-of-the-dog would do the trick. Let’s see how the works out for us, guys.

The GOP is going to be doing a lot of reevaluating in the near future, and as we all think about demographic trends and how to widen the tent, we cannot ignore reaching out to and communicating with young voters. President Obama has spent a lot of time on college campuses, making himself personable and talking convincingly about delivering easier student loan and tuition rates; if we had done a little more of that type of outreach on our terms, things might’ve gone very differently.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d rather be hearing more from those 20-year-olds serving in the military (until it is gutted by rat-ears). But, of course, Leon Pannetta suppressed their votes to keep his boss in office.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

But these individuals do not get to vote!

PrettyD_Vicious on November 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Barack Oclaus offered them unicorns and forgiveness for outrageous student loans . My 22 year old about came unglued when her isiot friends quoted this and the “cool” factor.

It’s truly scary

gatorbait on November 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Yes they did — and it was all about abortion, birth control, gays and a man who wears “magic underwear”. I talked with a couple kids where I swim, and I was appalled by the misinformation they spouted at me. I was also appalled by their bigotry against Mormons. (I was equally as appalled by the bigotry against Mormons from adults I spoke with.)

Unfortunately, I must agree with the many who have said there is no chance of reasoning with the “youth vote”. They have been told they are special their entire lives, and they expect to keep on being told that. Obama was not just willing but eager to pander to that sense of entitlement — just like he pandered to every other little splinter group that thinks it is special and entitled.

Possibly the coming economic tsunami will be enough to shake young Americans out of their entitlement bubble. When they have to choose between their monthly internet fees and gas for their old beaters, maybe it will occur to them that this isn’t what they expected out of life. When they can’t buy the latest Apple toy because they are paying loans for four years of grievance studies, maybe they might wonder if this is what they thought they were signing up for. And when they are taking care of their elderly parents financially and physically because Medicare won’t and Social Security can’t, they might question their arrogant assumption of what’s right and what’s wrong. But I don’t see that happening for a few years down the road when things really go into the crapper.

catsandbooks on November 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

The youths dig in for Hopenchange 2.0

Chickens for Colonel Sanders.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The funny thing about the youth vote is that when they aren’t the youth any longer, they will be blaming us for letting this happen. So let’s embrace gay marriage and whatever else is weighing on the little pea brains and see if they vote for fiscal responsibility. I’m pretty sure they will find some other excuses for not being responsible for their decisions. Just like a certain historic president we all know and wish wasn’t president.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

This generation deserves the misery it has awarded to itself by voting for big government liberalism. At 40 they will be completely screwed, with unpayable debt and a collapsing entitlement system. Enjoy your prime earning years, suckas!

Ted Torgerson on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The biggest part of the Obama reproductive rights agenda when right over the heads of those on the right. If she is on the pill or has easy access to an abortion means that their partners don’t need to pay child support on top of student loans.

meci on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Before you flame me, I know that there are informed kids out there, but how many?

kam582 on November 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Don’t worry. There will be a lot more soon.

HitNRun on November 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM

So what are you saying? Hunger and unemployment is a good teacher? Because that is what is going to happen sooner rather than later. The youth will find quickly that a college degree is worthless when we are in a depression caused by the rat-eared
wonder’s arrogance concerning fiscal responsibility.

The press is gushing over the fact that Obama called Congressional leaders OF BOTH PARTIES!!!! Know when the last time the filthy bastard talked to Boehner? July.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It’s going to be interesting in 25 years when all these middle age ex-liberals realize they have no one to turn to after the wealth is long gone.

DanMan on November 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Kids like mine will be telling them to “Eat shiite and get off my land”.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Teaching at both a university and a high school, I’ve talked politics, or rather policy, with a lot of young people. When we leave partisan labels out of it, the majority of them really go for pretty libertarian positions, and even when you slap that term “libertarian” on it all, they still go for it.

If the Republicans can foster more Jeff Flakes, and keep from driving out the Gary Johnsons, they’ll make definite inroads with the young. (At least, with all the ones that can be persuaded.)

Tzetzes on November 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yup. Strip the label “GOP” from the fiscal planks of the platform, and a majority of college kids will jump all over them. Then you reveal it’s the GOP, and they recoil in horror; “How could I have ever agreed with those horrible Republicans!?!?”

We need to re-brand, people. It’s not enough to just say “Oh well, they’ll learn to love us once they’re poor and destitute.”

Good Solid B-Plus on November 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Man, I feel just as bad as I did during my first high school heartbreak right now. At least im not crying though, so I guess that means I am tougher right? :)

SoCalInfidel on November 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Chickens for Colonel Sanders.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Hahaha excellent. Especially Barry as the Colonel.

Ted Torgerson on November 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

So, to reach the “youth” vote (which I define as anyone under about 35 at this point), you’ve got to get over a heckuva lot of long-term indoctrination. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done, but it’s very very entrenched.

FiveG on November 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Uhhhgreeed! As I was telling my husband this morning, this groundwork has been being laid for the last 60+ years. I’ve always said that hippies didn’t die………they just went into the educational system.

avagreen on November 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I hope you enjoy being poor kids.

forest on November 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Jabberwock on November 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Mine got rid of them all and their concern about fairness is seldom centered on themselves. Far too many members of the poor poor pitiful me club out there.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

It’s the easiest thing in the world to be a liberal. We all want the same things only conservatives know there is a price to pay for everything. The price at this point in our history demands sacrifice, moderation and discipline, and this price will never be considered by this younger generation. Period.

DumboTheAvenger on November 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I don’t think I can watch a good ol’ fashion Western for awhile. It will just make me so very sad.

Rugged individualism. Independence. Right vs Wrong. An America that once was….until November 6, 2012.

kurtzz3 on November 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Republicans need to go back to their base – get the hell out of the bedroom, out of marriage, out of religion, out of abortion, out of more-more-more.
A Axe on November 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM

We can’t get out of the bedroom if we want to win the youth vote. That’s where they are, staring at their faded Obama posters.

NebCon on November 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

meci on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I’m going to disagree with you here. Until proven otherwise, I refuse to agree with the left’s “men are pigs” depiction of the part of the reproduction equation.

Julia (remember her?) was a whore who got a child without ever being married. She never looked for child support because she had the rat-eared wonder to take care of her needs.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I hope you enjoy being poor kids.

forest on November 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

If they have no comparative, how will they know?

It’s like telling a child they’re suffering and then they feel cheated and start squalling.

Poor children don’t know they’re suffering unless they had something they have taken away.

Lanceman on November 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The demographics of America are changing. The demographics of the GOP are aging and dying off. Maybe there’s a chance when we’re a younger party.

Capitalist Hog on November 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Yep, and those aging and dying off are the ones who’ve sustained this country that was built by their parents, grandparents and so on. Chance with a younger party? They’re too wrapped up in themselves and iphones to notice that their country is now in the rear view mirror. Or at the least the country that offered them all that they have now, which will soon be redistributed so everyone can have a “fair shot”.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

long way with America’s young people

Erika, the ‘takers’ fill all demographics, save the Greatest Generation.

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Standing up and clapping!

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You can’t talk about being individual responsibility while obsessing over every little detail that “others” are doing. Stop whining jesus.

A Axe on November 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The only ones “obsessing” about everyone’s personal habits and abortion were the media and dems…throwing a microphone in an R face and screeching about “banning contraceptives” and “war on women”. My 3 college students are appalled. No jobs….but LOOK, we get free contraceptives!!!

hoosierma on November 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Maybe there’s a chance when we’re a younger party.

Capitalist Hog on November 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

GOP= Old White Male,Shreeking White Female.

Males:
Hewitt
Rove
Hannity
Rush
McCain
Medved
Romney
Boehner (orange?)
Female:
Palin
Coulter
Malkin

Time to pass the torch ‘folks’

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM

A lot more died last night than I first realised. It’s evident that the GOP is a dying party whose fiscal values of hard work and belief in striving for a better generation was rejected by the very kids we raised and sacrificed for. But I think it goes further back than that. I think America failed because she was too successful. The baby boomer parents fought a war so they could live in freedom and have a job and a future for their own children in turn, and those kids grew up thinking everything was rosy and they didn’t need to secure the future any more because this was the way it would be forever.

Now the third generation just sticks it hand out for more free stuff and watches idiot celebs and thinks everything will be fine because they aren’t starving or cold. Yet.

The GOP can’t fight this. We are dinosaurs and we will watch while our countries and our children go down in flames. They will be cold, because there will be no power after the coal stations and nuclear power stations are shut down. They will be poor eventually, because there will be no money and no jobs. They will be hungry because farmers are also a dying breed and everyone thinks food comes from the supermarkets anyway. And when they finally wake up, they won’t be able to do anything about it because by then elections will be gone and there will be no choice.

I am so depressed today it’s not funny. Romney was the President we needed, but not the President we deserved. He could have fixed it, but not enough people wanted it to be fixed. The young don’t want to work hard. We have stores in Australia run by Chinese immigrants because nobody here wants to work 7am-11pm. Our farms are dying because the young have all run off to the cities.

I despair over the future.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM

WRONG: The youths dig in for Hopenchange 2.0
CORRECT: The youths dig in for “free” contraceptives

TeaPartyNation on November 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

My daughter and son both said that they voted for Romney due to the economy but both said that they hated his stand on social issues. And that is why most of their peers voted for Obama. Because Gay marriage and contraceptives are the most important things in the world.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Sadly, this is the case. I’m 29 (will be 30 in January) so I am barely in this category, but I still have a lot of facebook friends in their early to mid 20s and it’s all about stupid stuff.

Forget the fact that Romney didn’t even make his campaign about any of the stupid stuff, Obama painted him as an evil homophobe who wants women who were raped to die and take a baby to term instead of allow them to have an abortion.

What’s sad is that some of these people are actually married with children. I still wouldn’t agree, but I could understand the thought process a little more if they were single, but they are married with children! I’m married and don’t have children and even I’m not that stupid to vote on stupid stuff.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

please join me in my bluecott… Time to starve the beast in every way possible.

OTTO on November 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I too am liking the idea of keeping every extra dollar out of the economy – and sales tax base – if I can possibly help it (save for conservative-owned businesses, which I seek out). It hurts them more than it hurts me.

Nordeast on November 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Erika, the ‘takers’ fill all demographics, save the Greatest Generation.

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Oh! Let’s stop using the term “greatest generation” to define WWII Vets. Not only did too many of them vote for the rat-eared wonder out of fear of their benefits, those currently serving and those who have served in the last decade have made equally impressive sacrifices.

I know people who, over the course of ten years have had multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. WWII lasted five (for the US). We have a military who has mostly been in a combat zone- first time in decades.

We also have a rat-eared coward as President who has killed many American serviceman for no reason other than politics. I can’t tell you how much I hate Obama.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Just got off the phone with my daughter the paulite. They stayed home yesterday. She said this election was going to pit mother against daughter, and it was our fault that republicans put up Romney, instead of listening to Ron Paul. Ron Paultards stayed home

skeeterbite on November 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Erika, the ‘takers’ fill all demographics, save the Greatest Generation.

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Sadly this is true too. Obama scared seniors into thinking that Romney and Ryan would essentially give Social Security over to the bankers. My wife’s grandparents pretty much echoed this fear because of AARP. They also think that Social Security is going down simply because of the Bush wars. They think if that money was put back that SS would be fine forever. Nevermind that the fall of the dollar has essentially caused the collapse of SS because seniors are not simply getting the money they paid into it, but they are now getting money that I am paying into to keep up with inflation. There’s a reason that the house they paid $7,000 for now can be sold for $60,000.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I don’t think young people find gay marriage and contraception to be important issues. But they don’t think it’s the government’s role to tell us what to do in those areas. In other words, they agree with us.

But Democrats move the argument, and we allow them to. To young voters, Romney was trying to repress women and homosexuals.

Newt Gingrich was the only person I saw in this campaign who succeeded in rejecting the liberal framework of various issues. He proved too inconsistent to have beaten Obama. But his ability to reject liberal assumptions is something the GOP needs to master.

hawksruleva on November 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

skeeterbite on November 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Okay. Not to further family strife but when was Ron Paul a legitmate candidate beyond those seeking the legalization of pot? What primaries did Ron Paul win?

That being said that, at least, your daughter is rabid to the right and not an Obama supporter. I honestly think I’m doing a drive-by for Thanksgiving Dinner this year. Hey mom, here’s some flowers- gotta go!

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

There’s a youth’ here who devastated about last night’s massacre-but he’s less devastated than his 42 year old mom.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The youths dig in for Hopenchange 2.0

Hey Kidz! Three words:

Learn Chinese.

Bruno Strozek on November 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Start with Hollywood, though admittedly that’s pretty easy considering the absolute garbage being issued to the big screen lately.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I’ve been on that one for some time now.

No more California produce, no cars from union shops, no trips to Florida or New York. Yes to Georgia Peaches and pecans, trips to western gulf coast, Texas and the central states…you get the idea.
I’ll be researching for small online retailers that ship local red state wares. If any here have recommendations please share.

OTTO on November 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I despair over the future.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I don’t believe this at all. Thousands of young people are still willing to risk their lives for this country. Young people go to college in an effort to improve their lives. Young people develop things like Facebook, volunteer in their communities, and attended Tea Party rallies.

But young people are young. They don’t see all of the options in front of them, and don’t understand how their decisions can have long-term consequences. It’s up to older, wiser people to help them make good decisions. Farms should advertise their jobs better. Conservatives should explain capitalism better.

Democrats won the youth vote by taking the time to form relationships with them. Occupy Wall Street gave liberals weeks to indoctrinate the young people who turned out. And they used that opportunity. The GOP either writes off the youth vote, or expects young people to automatically have a deep understanding of the issues.

hawksruleva on November 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Yeah we are having Thanksgiving here with my wife’s grandparents and my mom. My mom is a hardcore conservative and my wife’s grandparents are Democrats. I don’t call them liberals because they pretty much agree with the rest of the family, but they get sucked in by the propoganda of AARP and the idea that evil Republicans have destroyed SS by taking money out for wars and now they want to put seniors’ SS in the stock market.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Nordeast on November 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM

My garden will expanding greatly and my Chick-Fil-A diet as well!

OTTO on November 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Another bunch of people who stayed home yesterday were the Catholics. Many of them have the long-held belief that Jesus was a Socialist Democrat. Option for the poor and all that. But when several Bishops out and out said a vote for Obama’s healthcare mandated abortion funding was a vote for intrinsic evil, they stayed home. They couldn’t bring themselves to vote for a Republican who wants to starve women and children and let the poor immigrants die in the streets.

I know several people who fall into this category. JFK Democrats who are starting to realize that the Democratic party is the party of abortion 24/7/365 but not still not able to bring themselves to vote for the party of war and torture.

Lily on November 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

skeeterbite on November 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM

MY mother moved to the left. She voted for him-I think-but she and her scumbag song have accused me of ‘brainwashing’ Spawn with my ‘radical’ views. She thinks that her grandson is too stupid to do his own thinking. I’ve been done with her son for a long time-now I’m done with her too.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I’m SURE I don’t have to tell you that AARP is all for Obamacare because this union-derived organization will make BILLIONS from Obamacare. It’s written into the law.

It won’t really matter to the curent crop of seasoned citizens but all of us that come afterwards.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Chickens for Colonel Sanders.

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Wood for the fire and free matches.

OTTO on November 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Conservatism by nature is based on principle and discipline(both fiscal and social), and these are traits that people don’t tend to develop until they are older. So I don’t see what can be really done in this aspect, and with voter registration getting easier all the time with the internet, it’s only going to get worse.

The only thing to do is to try to mitigate the left’s advantage by running more “sexy” and “cool” candidates, like what happened with the Governator.

tkyang99 on November 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The joke is really on the youth. Just wait until they get the bill.

GarandFan on November 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Bruno Strozek on November 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

给我免费的东西

OTTO on November 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I mean the fact is that, if voting ever becomes so easy that it can be done on an iPhone, will Republicans ever come close to winning another election?

What does it say about a party and its platform that it has to rely on LOWER voter turnout to win every time?

We need to ask ourselves these hard questions.

tkyang99 on November 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Obama/LSM will make much over “bipartisanship’ in order to blame the GOP for its failing, and to justify the blitz of EO’s that will follow. Obama v. 2.0 Here it comes.

petefrt on November 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Young people don’t want jobs, they want grants to further their studies of stupid and unimportant topics.

southsideironworks on November 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The joke is really on the youth. Just wait until they get the bill.

GarandFan on November 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Unfortunately, by that time they will look to Big Government to fix that, too.

We’ve reached that stage where too many seek immediate gratification and ignore/don’t understand/avoid the notion of long term consequences.

Toynbee was right. All great civilizations eventually crumble into nothing.

EdmundBurke247 on November 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

See how damn easy that is? Young people are just idiots, plain and simple. They voted for the “cool” candidate.

Daemonocracy on November 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I tend to agree, plus you make the arguments to kids finally out from their parents’ authority that Dems want to replace that with a big nanny state that wants to tell them what to do, while conservatives offer personal freedom and personal responsibility.

Could be a winning message

right of the dial on November 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

That’s where we get back to the media. Gov. Romeny didn’t make it an issue, Obama did and they portrayed him as the opposition. They don’t see the “free” contraceptives as a religious freedom issue because so many are no longer religious. And if they aren’t no one else needs to be.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

tkyang99 on November 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

That’s not true. Principle and discipline can easily be taught. The problem is that the parents of my generation were in the middle of the 60s and 70s and because they rebelled back then, they saw no issue with us rebelling. They thought that we would rebell and come back to sanity. Heck even one of the more recent Family Guy episodes elluded to this when Meg turned 18 and started talking with Quaqmire and Lois told Peter to just let it go only to later have it get out of control.

Well, my generation rebelled and most of us haven’t returned to sanity and now we are raising kids.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I have a younger brother that’s living at my mom’s house. He can’t find a FT job. Has student loan debt that’s crushing him. Doesn’t have health coverage. YET, he would not vote for Romney. I just don’t get it. My mom is constantly talking politics with him trying to get him to “see the light”. It’s never going to happen. I really blame the higher education system we have. That’s really when he started believing in all this liberal agenda nonsense.

JennM111 on November 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

can we get Poochy from the Simpsons to be our reach out effort to the kids?

joeindc44 on November 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

we are born idiots, and then attend government schools

any questions?

burserker on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

learn your lesson GOP, if you ever want to win a national election again, you need to get more Libertarian

burserker on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Are you really buying that BS? I’m not. Romney’s vote was intentionally under counted to give the Marxist a win. Vote count suppression.

bgibbs1000 on November 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I’m really trying not to engage in “conspiracy theories” about vote fraud and undercounting, etc., but, when one looks at all the instances of hinky electronic voting machines switching a vote from Romney to obama (but never the other way); and then consider that electronic votes were counted in SPAIN (WTF!) by a company owned by george soros (WTF!X2)……it becomes a bit hard not to wonder if there might not have been something a bit less than honest going on.

Solaratov on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Cultural decline: The sexual revolution’s devastating effects on the family structure of the lower classes. Vulgarity in movies and TV. Gangsta Rap and Death Metal. Tattoos and piercings.

Political decline: The slow steady expansion of government since the days of FDR, which has undermined the principles of our Founding Fathers.

Economic decline: The re-election of Barack Obama in spite of 8% unemployment, $4 a gallon gasoline, college graduates who can’t pay back their student loans or afford to move out of their parents’ house, and a health care bill that is killing small businesses.

America’s best days are behind us in every way shape and form. It only gets worse from here.

ardenenoch on November 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

My son is 25 and still living at home. He has a job that pays ok but not very well – he’s a roulette dealer – because he refuses to work longer hours and he doesn’t get enough money to live on his own. He gets free internet and I look after his washing. I’m obviously an idiot.

This morning I told him I would charge him $150 a week rent if he didn’t move out soon. He thinks Obama is a great guy who will work with Republicans and has good economic principles.

I’m probably being vengeful but I’m over it.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Yup, these liberal youths will always blame somebody else for their circumstances. There will always be an excuse.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Flame thrower in the safe position. I’m curious. Have you gotten through to any of these skulls-full-of-mush? I’m somewhat jaded. I view the twenty-somethings as needing thumb implants because they pay no attention to anything but tweeting that they just got a roast beef sandwich and a soda but declined the offer of a pickle.Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM

You know, I don’t even try, I make it a point to keep my politics out of my classroom. I figure they need to figure out that for themselves. It wouldn’t work anyhow, they all know more than me .

kam582 on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Sigh. As one of the so-called “youth vote,” I’ve done my part – I’ve voted twice now against BO. I’ve tried to convince my extremely ignorant peers of their misguided understanding of economics, I’ve done what I can. I don’t know what else to do.

I’m 25, I have a doctorate, and I’m about as conservative as they come. I have conservative parents who taught me right from wrong and instilled a strong work ethic in me. I don’t take things from other people or think I’m entitled to them. I earn what I have. I also grew up in a red area of a blue state. My vote is essentially meaningless.

Please do not blame all of us for this nation’s ills. I’ve only been old enough to vote for President twice, and both times I voted against BO. Just remember, when all of us are accused of being a bunch of ignorant reprobates, that we didn’t raise ourselves. The indoctrination of us in public schools is on your shoulders. Parenting and schooling failed. We are the product of how we are raised and what we’re taught.

I don’t like engaging in generational warfare, but I find it totally unfair to be constantly blamed for things that aren’t my fault. I’ve done the same thing you all have – I’ve voted every chance I’ve had to remove the Marxists. What else can I do?

As an aside, I hope the House lets everything crash and burn. Give the lefties everything their hearts desire. Maybe a lot of real pain will wake some of them up.

conservative_student on November 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

HAPPY NOMAD

We get the picture. You think Obama has “rat ears.” I don’t support the guy any more than anyone else, but ENOUGH ALREADY.

There is plenty to criticize Obama about without resorting to childish taunts about his LOOKS for crying OUT LOUD HOW OLD ARE YOU?

On topic, this country has the leader it deserves. It’s such a tremendous weight off my shoulders to know that they’ve volunteered, nay DEMANDED that they take one for the team. We were like, NO, let’s fix this problem, let’s not pass this on to the next generation. And they were like, “NO, IT’S COO’ MAN, WE GOT DIS. WE WILL PAY FOR IT WITH THE $5/MO WE SAVE ON BIRTH CONTROL LOL.”

They’re sort of precious, really. The people we should feel sorry for are those poor lamentable 30% who are actually intelligent, but are going to be carried over the cliff by the rest of the lemmings. :< I truly do feel sorry for them, and may God spare them the worst. It's one thing to be my age and just be frustrated that although I have a wonderful life, I'm surrounded by freeloaders–my life is wonderful because I squeaked through my youth before the shit hit the fan. They won't have an opportunity to build a great life…the mediocre economy I experienced in my twenties was booming compared to the last 4 years.

Polynath on November 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

What we have to remember about the youth vote is…this is all they know. You actually expected them to get off their parent’s couch? They grew up on that couch. They watched morning cartoons on that couch. Fumbled awkwardly in their first makeout sessions on that couch. That couch is where mommy gave them chicken soup when they were sick, and where they lounged away summer afternoons. They haven’t ever needed to work for a living. Sure, some have worked part time jobs, but they’ve never needed to pay their own rent, utilities, groceries, insurance, etc. Never had to make their own decisions. Everything was provided for them. It’s what they’re used to.

Now we have a President who is telling them they don’t have to change. They can continue being what they’ve always been, doing what they’ve always done. And that is…NATURAL…to them. Because it is all they know.

wolfva on November 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Jonah Goldberg said it best;

It is a simple fact of science that nothing correlates more with ignorance and stupidity more than youth…

The fact that young people think socialism is better than capitalism… that’s something that conservatives have to work hard to beat out of them, either literally or figurative, as far as I’m concerned.

Terp Mole on November 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

HotAir Video Flashback:

Video: Get off of Jonah Goldberg’s lawn, you darned kids

“My view is, they’re going to run the country some day, so we should really explain why they’re so frickin’ stupid about so many things.”

Terp Mole on November 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Well, for the youth vote, their new fashion statement is a hairnet.

They don’t mind the basement so long as someone picks up the tab, and O-boy is quite ready to do that for them.

As for choice, why not see it as a desire for rational alternatives even for people who personally abhor it. We should also note that those loudest for life seem to have little interest in personal involvement with children born by order of their beliefs. As to those who believe abortion is a sacrament, I would have been happier had their parents believed the same and acted on it.

I realized at five that America can be very arrogant and intrusive in many ways: the land where freedom is a slogan. Most groups love to put the gun to another groups head so they can feel good: it is both right and left, with a dose of middle.

Denver Bob on November 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM