The status-quo endorsement?

posted at 8:41 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

In my previous post, I offered some thoughts about the wrong assumptions conservatives (like myself) made about the electorate and the lessons of 2008 and 2010. What message does 2012 give us?  Other than the fact of realignment, it’s almost impossible to say, thanks to the very unusual status-quo result of the of election.

Having an incumbent President win an election is hardly surprising in and of itself.  Incumbent Presidents rarely lose when running in a second election; in my lifetime, only Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush managed it.  (Gerald Ford lost his first presidential election.)  Before that, you have to go to Herbert Hoover, who lost his bid thanks to the obvious implications of a dire financial crisis.

But consider that for a moment when mulling over Obama’s win.  We’ve come out of an economic crisis to three years of economic stagnation.  In poll after poll, voters insisted that the US was heading in the wrong direction.  The early exit polls showed that only 25% of voters thought they were doing better than four years earlier.  And yet, not only did these voters re-elect Obama (again, not unusual for an incumbent), but they also left the House and Senate in the hands of the same leadership as before the election.  In the end, as Jim Geraghty tweeted, we spent somewhere north of two billions dollars just to get Indiana and North Carolina to flip.

Now, House races tend to be local, and Senate races only a little less so.  It may be difficult to draw national conclusions from the outcomes of individual races.  But if the realignment gave Democrats a powerful voice in the presidential contest, it didn’t do them all that much good in undoing the 2010 midterm election results.  This looks like a pretty intriguing endorsement of a status quo that few voters admit liking.

This holds some opportunity for both parties to reset their approach and try again after the last two years of brinksmanship and rancor.  Voters are unhappy with the status quo, but don’t trust either party with total control of the federal government again.  It’s possible that they want to see government work properly again, with the proper tension and checks between branches of government and party agendas, but for those checks to produce actual solutions and not ulimatums and diktats.  Over the next two years, Democrats and Republicans have another chance to get back to business instead of conducting never-ending campaigns, and the first party to grasp this might be able to set the agenda.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Watch what happens to California over the next few years…it is a great indicator of where the country is going. Moochers, unions and the legacy media is a powerful coalition. It won’t soon be broken.

d1carter on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Staus Quo endorsement? I don’t think so. With a feckless legislative and judicial branch that has relinquished its power, the executive branch will have unfettered power to create laws by executive fiat; ignore constitutional law it doesn’t like; and have unlimited supplies of money from increased taxes and an ability to print money. No, there will be no status quo anymore.

iamsaved on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

djl130 on November 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Please do not try to appeal to any higher standards because scum has none.
The left in this country and the useful idiots that voted for them don’t care. They have their hand out and when it gone oh well. They will all suffer as we will until we are dead,proably speeded up by Obama care.

Gracelynn on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I makes perfect sense. The free enterprise, capitalistic system is under attack by liberal religious zealots. Liberalism is the religion and it functions on pure faith and trust in its Marxist doctrine and the anointed leader. These two systems are irreconcilable and incapable of meaningful compromise. This mindless kabuki dance will go on until only one system attains total control and rules unilaterally. In the meantime, we’ll stumble along in a painful state of confusion and despair.

rplat on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

nathor on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Advice from a Democrat.

How cute.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Time to just sit back, hold on tight and watch the disintegration begin to kick in high gear. Let the Democrats own what’s coming.

dddave on November 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Precisely my thoughts on the morning after.

PortlandJon on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I don’t even know what to say. I have even well-educated friends on Facebook talking about the victory for their “ladybits.” (Gag.)

I hope the Republicans let the Dems OWN what is about to befall this country.

The market rallied yesterday on the hopes of a Romney win. The futures are tanking this morning.

byepartisan on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

d1carter on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Naked bike riders and wimminses dressed up like va-jay-jays? I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait!

LOL.. We have to find some humor here, folks.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

If only 5 million more republicans would have gotten their lazy asses to the polls, it would have been a landslide.

tdarrington on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

If only there had been a conservative to vote for.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Exactly the problem with the TEA party and Conservatives. “If a candidate doesn’t agree with me 100% on every issue then he is just a no good worthless RINO and I won’t vote for him!” Now you got Obama. Live with it.

tdarrington on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

So, Romney was a terrible, weak, unispiring candidate. He did not get any base turnout, the rural turnout was bad, at least 5-6 million available GOP voters (extrapolating Bush’s numbers up 5%) simply sat it out.

But, of course, GOPe likes him, he gave a good concession speech.

buridan on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

This is on those that stayed home. NOT Romney.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Gird your loins. Hunker down. Brace for impact.

forest on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

THIS DOESN’T EQUAL THAT:

1) Record Republican Enthusiasm
2) Record Republican Fundraising
3) Record GOTV
4) Record Early Voting
5) Record Republican Crowds
6) Record Independent Support

= Record Low Turnout?

How low was Republican turnout? Lower than 2004!

Folks, something stinks.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Europe and Asia are rejoicing over the fall of American Capitalism..

Nice.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Israel is going to get pretty warm. They better invest in strong sunscreen and Raybans.

tdarrington on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I thoroughly enjoy constructive dialog and debate but that’s unfortunately not what our trolls bring and apparently electoral victory is not enough for them. Since their presence here detracts from the usefulness of the discussion I’d happily kick in a few bucks to fund the writing of an extension or GreaseMonkey script that would enable selective collapsing/hiding of specific commenters.

I hate to suggest it because one of the things I value about online forums is the chance to read and debate with those who think differently from me. But it’s not useful to hear from those who don’t think at all.

If you’d like to weigh in on whether it’s of interest or a bad idea, I put up a 1-question survey here:

SoRight on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Interesting to hear what Rush says today. Though to be honest, not sure I even want to listen.

I like Rush, but his idiotic comments sometimes dont help. No Im not blaming him for anything, but when you know you are a lightening rod, you dont call a private citizen, especially a woman, on national radio listened to by millions and others who wait for you to screw up, a slut. You helped bring on the war on women crap and helped give it legs.

I dont mind being a lightening rod, but my God, how smart are you if you let those words come from your mouth when people can hear? He single-handedly gave creedence to the war on women with that comment. The media went on for a long time over that and it never went away.

bucsox79 on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Gird your loins. Hunker down. Brace for impact.

forest on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Obama spoke from his loins ya know…

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Anyone who believes that the House will be able to blunt the coming agenda is deluding themselves…. the is a man who has given them the back of his hand through hundreds of Executive Orders and Regulatory Directives. He picks and chooses which laws he wants to follow, impose or ignore.

Congress was completely unwilling to force Obama to be accountable for hundreds of unconstitutional and illegal actions. They allowed him to declare them “not in session” in order to make political appointments that he had not even bothered to present to the Congress.

What becomes of Israel now that Obama is empowering and supporting the Mullahs? Will we see another holocaust? The Muslim Brotherhood has an ally in Obama and his administration.

This President has openly declared his disdain of our founding principals and Constitution….. and he stands to have 3 Supreme Court Justices ready to take apart those principals. He openly preaches against religious freedom, freedom of speech and the 2nd amendment.

IMHO….. another great depression is the least of our worries and it may take a hundred years to pull our country back from the brink.

2nd Ammendment Mother on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

The status quo allows obummer to plow ahead like a runaway freight train.
This is going to get ugly fast. I know three people laid off last week. (yes, all Obama voters) Three. I don’t think that people realize the implications of this particular status quo. It will be interesting to watch.

ORconservative on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I’m sad and disgusted that the majority of American voters apparently want to punish hard work and success and reward laziness and failure. The American dream is well and truly dead and has been replaced by an entitlement mindset. For the first time in my life, I’m no longer proud of my country.

I don’t want to go to work today. But I know I’ve got to continue to do my part to push back against society’s moochers. God give me strength.

Syzygy on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Federalism people, that’s the answer to Leviathan.

The 10th Amendment hasn’t been repealed. All we need is strong 10th Amendment conservatives at all levels of state governments. Officials willing to seize back state powers long ago usurped by the federal government.

When the states ratified the Constitution they didn’t agree to be subservient to the federal government.

If you really want to get rid of Obamacare and rein in the federal government then look to your state governments.

If we return decision making to the state level I think we’ll find out that there is much less rancor and partisanship in DC and that We the People will get along better. We can all agree, I hope, that due to the federalization of so much of what used to be state responsibilities that elections in one state have far too much impact on other states.

Why for example should I, here in AR, have to worry about Harry Reid as Senate majority leader? I shouldn’t but the usurpation of state powers has made it so.

Charlemagne on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Syzygy on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I took today off because I wasn’t sure what to expect. Hang in there, it’ll be alright.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Yeah I’m just trying to figure out why both Obama and Romney received fewer votes than McCain did in 2008.

Dilophos on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Gary Johnson currently has 1.1 million votes
Jill Stein (Green) currently has about 400,000 votes.

Even if you took every Johnson vote and gave it to Romney, Obama would still win the same # of states. Not a single one would change.

AngusMc on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Thanks for the numbers. I am guessing more people actually stayed home for both Romney and Obama. weird how much they have gone down since 2008.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I absolutely agree.

ORconservative on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

The people have spoken, and that’s how it turned out.

We still have much work to do; we’re not out of the fight by a long shot. This is still the greatest country in all of human history, worth fighting for to keep the best we can.

I still say, “God bless America!”

Liam on November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

tdarrington on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Right tell that to Todd Akin and Mourdock. Christine O’Donnel and Sharon Angle.

Yea it is the Tea Party that does not support fellow Republicans.

Since Nixon no RINO has won the presidency. Six straight losses.

Obama was the worst president even and Mitt still managed to lose then last night asked us to get along with him while looking like he had just won the lottery.

But the American People are the problem and the Tea Party.

The Tea Party gave the GOP a majority in 2010 their thanks. They are stuck with the father of Obama Care after screaming no Obama Care or anything like that.

The Establishment Republicans are 100% at fault for this loss.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

THIS DOESN’T EQUAL THAT:

1) Record Republican Enthusiasm
2) Record Republican Fundraising
3) Record GOTV
4) Record Early Voting
5) Record Republican Crowds
6) Record Independent Support

= Record Low Turnout?

How low was Republican turnout? Lower than 2004!

Folks, something stinks.

mitchellvii on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

people did not hate obama as much as expected and romney was uninspiring

nathor on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The party of the murderer, Ted Kennedy, and serial liar/sex offender, Bill Clinton won. The problem wasn’t Romney, it was simply they have more voters than we do. Now we are supposed to compromise. I suppose that means like Obama, Reid, and Pelosi comromised. What a joke. Even though it takes two to reach a stalemate, conservatives get all the blame. I’m in no mood to compromise and watch our country become a third world mess.
Fight them; fight them in the air, on the beaches, in the, classrooms, in congress, in universities, stop buying their liberal crap, stop reading their liberal crap, stop watching their liberal crap…never surrender!

Oracleforhire on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I’ll either get branded a nut or be totally ignored. Doesn’t really matter.

But I think this election signals the can-no-longer-be-stopped decline of America and, in the bigger picture, the beginning of the end of the world as prophesied in Revelations. With ObamaCare now a permanent part of our lives, continued economic stagnation and lack of job prospects for those who want to work to better their lives, an inexorable shift to a society of takers over makers, probable shifing of the Supreme Court to a more liberal bent, and the furtherance of social decadence (with continual expansion of same-sex marriage and itinerant moral decay from other even-more puerile forms of marriages/relationships), the die is cast for a world without God to eventually become a reality. I believe this is inevitable. It’s just a matter of how fast the end comes about.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

tdarrington on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

What about when you disagree with Romney 90% of the time and Obama 100% of the time?

What about when you have Romney promising to reinstate $716 billion dollars of cuts Obama made in Medicare?

What then?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

But, of course, GOPe likes him, he gave a good concession speech.

buridan on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Your Marxist a prince showed his true Corrupt Chicago Alinskyite side during the campaign. Revenge time, eh? Even HE KNEW he was on the losing side of good and decency. Bi-Partisanship? Ocommie doesn’t even know how to spell that word.

Romney would have been the LAST and MOST DECENT AMERICAN PRESIDENT we could have had.

It’s four more years of this socialist clown and then we get Hillary for eight.

America is over as we knew it. The Divided States of America, here we come.

West Virginia? You guys are screwed.

Prove me wrong.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I don’t know if it’s the beginning of the end of the world but,t appears to be the beginning of the end of a once great Republic.

rplat on November 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

The Stock-market promptly endorses Obama by dropping 18- points in the first 5 minuets…

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The Stock-market promptly endorses Obama by dropping 180 points in the first 5 minuets…

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

That’s true, the establishment Republicans are at fault and will continue to be. You can not run the same rich white guy over and over and over and expect to win.
Throw in some men who can not keep their mouths shut about rape and other idiotic things that have no business in the federal government and Democrat big government types are laughing their asses off all the way to the bank.
I think Hillary will be too old in 2016 but my fb is covered with Hillary 2016 crap. She wins handily if the establishment republicans keep it up.
Plus there is absolutely no way that there is not voter fraud. Vote early and vote often your Democratic machine needs you.
What a country.

ORconservative on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The reset has occurred. We’ve re-elected Jimmy Carter, let’s see how that works. We know what Reagan did, now let’s see what Carter would have done.

bflat879 on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The status-quo endorsement?

Ed Morrisey

The Status-Quo is not good enough…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

The Status-quo is a path to (if you’re one the commenters weary of me reposting this same link again, and again … don’t click on it) the loss of U.S. sovreignty.

The Powers pushing this agenda, will let nothing get in the way of this goal; nothing.
Barack Obama is not one of the “Powers”; he’s just a tool.
They’ll cast him aside like used toilet paper, once he’s done delivering this country into their hand.

listens2glenn on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’ve been waiting for that. So back to my burning question

How did Obama win?

ORconservative on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

LOL.

At least the GOP House leaders and members won’t have to create a new mantra for their impotence over the next two years; they can simply keep spouting the one they’ve used throughout the past two: “But we’re only one-half of one-third of the federal government …”

ShainS on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Obama gets second term. Constitution hardest hit. Brace for the assault on our freedom.

petefrt on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’ve been waiting for that. So back to my burning question

How did Obama win?

ORconservative on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

America has passed the tipping point that De Tocqueville warned us about. It’s that simple.

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The biggest mystery of this 2012 elections is “The McCain Missing Vote”…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

You don’t get it.
People want free stuff. They DO NOT CARE who gives it to them. A FOOD STAMP President is NOT A BAD THING – it is a good thing.

The Tea Party movement and conservative acceptance require another R word.

It’s called RESPONSIBILITY. That is not what voting public wants, or even cares about.

If people think anyone who disagrees with Ocommie’s fraud presidency sat this out in large numbers is smokin something.

It’s about free stuff. Romney was dead right about that. And THERE IS NO CONSERVATIVE SOLUTION FOR THAT.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

rplat on November 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Indeed it is the beginning of the end of a once great Republic. And because our Republic is depended on so heavily, both economically and militarily, by the rest of the world, our decline into the abyss will bring the rest of the world along.

At least, that’s what I believe.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

By Christmas, the stock market will completely tank.

A true depression is coming. Something like only our parents and grandparents experienced in the 30s. A deep depression.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

With all due respect, we are already in a deep depression, the government and the media are lying about the state of the economy. The real unemployment rate is around 20% has remained there for 4 years. Inflation is around 100% been there for 4 years.

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Tighten your belt, people. In four more years, we will be a shell of who we are right now.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

We’re already a shell of what we once were. Now our nation has sunk to unimaginable depths. Welcome to the Socialist States of America.

Or would that be the Fascist States of America?

dogsoldier on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

By Christmas, the stock market will completely tank.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I so hope you’re wrong. But if it does happen, we might end up with a second Greatest Generation, like were my parents.

Far as I believe, only God lasts forever.

Liam on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

THIS.

Say it loud and say it often.
It will save a lot of good people a lot of useless Gnashing.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

It’s time to start the Resistance.

either orr on November 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

The biggest mystery of this 2012 elections is “The McCain Missing Vote”…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Turnout. Splits were right. Turnout was low. Makes no sense.

Oh well, doesn’t matter now. Whatever soul searching is needed won’t mean a damn thing with 20 trillion of debt and a stacked Supreme Court.

Get ready to work several part time jobs to make ends meet – if you can even find them.

Atlas Shrugged.

oldroy on November 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I’m glad he got re-urkelected. He now owns everything that happens from this point forward. Americans are not racists, they voted for him twice. Staten Island is in ruins and there is nobody there to help. The fiscal cliff is looming, the debt ceiling again will be close to breach, and Obama will finally FINALLY have to be held accountable for his idiocy.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Not like the 30s. A complete market crash. People should rethink their portfolio. Energy companies are going to tank.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

What makes you think that hasn’t already happened? Where do you think the trillions of dollars the Fed created out of thin air have been going? The Stock market has already crashed, it’s a Potemkin Stock Market. 100 percent facade3 maintained by 80 Billion dollars a month pumped in by the Fed.

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Agree. And for those that don’t recall De Tocqueville’s Tipping Point:

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville

rplat on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

It’s mourning in America again.

- Ronald Reagan (revamped for this election)

Chappy on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I pulled out of the market 2 weeks ago in anticipation of a crash. I’ll be in a buying mood when it reaches the bottom. Might as well make money off Zero’s disasters.

stvnscott on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The market is going under 13K today. Maybe under 12K tomorrow. I see it losing 3K by Thanksgiving.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I withdrew all funds from my 401k on Oct 1, 2012. And NO TAXES withheld. FUBO.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Ok, I’m going to vent a bit. So, if you’re not interested, scroll past.

Back in the primary season, I predicted over on PJM that this election had a good chance of looking like the 1972 Presidential campaign, specifically as described by Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 1972, except with the two parties swapping roles. That time, HST concluded that the Democratic Party leadership (the “Humphrey wing”) was scared enough of McGovern’s “center-left” crowd (actually, most were self-defined “Euro-socialists”), that they were willing to trade Nixon “Four More Years” in exchange for not losing control of their own party. In the end, they lost it anyway, as the succession of Euro-to-extreme-Socialist Democrat presidential candidates since then has shown. (Yes, Bill Clinton is a socialist. Read his college writings. I’m not interested in debating that point.)

This time around, the GOP’s leadership (Northeastern, well-off, and trendily progressive on issues not affecting their bottom lines) ran the sort of candidate they always pick. A member of their little club, who got the nod to run in the primaries mainly on the grounds of “it’s his turn”. (See “Dole, Robert”, “McCain, John”, etc.) You can argue about whether Perry or whoever would have been a better choice (I voted for him in the primary- possibly my last GOP primary), but I seriously doubt he’d have received even lukewarm support from the Northeast Old Boy Network.

More importantly, this loss allows that crowd to retain control of the party, versus what they see as the “upstart insurgency” of the Tea Parties. Paste this in your steel pot, as one of my uncles used to say- the GOP leadership does not like anything the Tea Parties stand for. Telling a bunch of Brahmins they can’t tax and spend just like the Democrats they’re used to hobnobbing with at all the best cocktail parties in The Only Places That Matter (DC, NYC, LA, etc.) is just… un-American, in their estimation.

This power conflict within the Republican Party was at the heart of this campaign. And sorry to state, the Old Boy Network would win, either way. Either they would elect one of their own, or they’d lose and blame the “radicals” for it.

Contrary to the majority of the Monday morning QBs, the social conservatives had little effect one way or another, because they didn’t have a dog in this hunt. Romney, for all of his Mormon faith (Yes, I’m familiar with the Church, and no, I’m not a Mormon and never have been), was not defined as a social conservative by those social conservatives. So, while they may not have stayed home, they weren’t “all in” for him, either. An all-hands evolution is called that because “all hands” are needed to pull it off. I don’t think all hands were “on deck”. (Ohio voting percentages tend to bear this out.)

Romney and Ryan ran a decent campaign- for governor and lieutenant governor of a state. I’m not sure either one grasped the fundamental differences in a Presidential campaign. It’s called “It’s not enough to be good, you have to point out what’s bad about the other guy.” Obama did this well, but then he’s extremely good at attacking anyone who disses him. (In fact, it may be his only actual skill set.)

By comparison, Obama often acted like the challenger, because he at least had sense enough to realize that running on his record as the incumbent would only sell to his base. The best analysis is that his “base” was larger than the punditocracy thought. (You can make your own comparisons to the later Roman Empire, “bread and circuses”, etc., if you wish.) Either that, or the mud he threw at Romney stuck much better than any of the usual suspects thought.

This may have been a fundamentally “transformative” election. We may indeed have an electorate that is only interested in More Free Stuff, just as we may in fact have a ruling class that is only interested in their own version. (In the Dems’ case, Taxpayer-Funded Free Dope For Life may be part of that; my take is that if they want to fry their noodles, go for it, I just want them paying for their own grass and etc.)

Or, this may have been an election in which one team’s management bunted so they could be sure to control the starting lineup in their own dugout from here on in. I call the odds six-five and pick ‘em.

Only time will tell which is the correct assessment.

That’s All, Folks.

clear ether

eon

eon on November 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

rplat on November 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I don’t think it is the beginning, it is just the next big step. Our nation has been moving left and liberal for decades. People freely chose Obama after they saw how he governs, they also chose Harry Reid and the rest of the democrats. If Obama and Reid had never been born the American electorate would have chosen people exactly like them. We keep over-estimating the American electorate and blaming someone/something else. The corrupt media, our education system and lazy irresponsible parents give us the electorate we have.

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

An excellent take, there.

Liam on November 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

and Obama will finally FINALLY have to be held accountable for his idiocy.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You really believe this? Obama has never been held accountable for anything and never will be, not with the media and dumbed down public we have.

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The real disaster of this election will be Zero’s SCOTUS picks. We will be stuck with a far left court for a generation.

stvnscott on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Will people stop already about phantom turnout.

Do you know why Rove went off last night about calling Ohio?

Because he was going on the same info some of us had.

That the Early Vote in OH was low-turnout voters, and all the high turnout were still waiting for Election Day.

That was not true. In the least.

So either someone lied to the Romney camp, or the Romney camp was lying.

Enough. If you need an excuse blame what we all saw from the primaries.

Romney’s team was terrible. When someone calls you etch-a-sketch and they’re not fired, wtf kind of command is that?

But we let it ride, becase he was drawing cash and the Denver Debate.

But we knew – we knew – Gingrich had done serious damage with his Bain attacks, and that Obama was going to accelerate that.

So look at the battleground states – OH, NC, FL, – and consider how they have been hammered with political ads before this past summer. A solid year of pounding on Romney’s character.

And they didn’t respond to Obama, all summer

But the polls said otherwise after Denver. And then they didn’t.

And we bought the sophistry.

From Ed and Allah. From Red State, Breitbart. From Rush, Morris, and Rove. From National Review, and everyone else that said the electorate cannot be higher than D+3

Except we had one anomaly, that they all chose to ignore.

The ’08 black turnout was 11%.

In 2010 it was 14%.

I’m not going say the people on the right were purposely lying. Ed has too much character for that.

What I will say is we’ve helped develop a cottage industry.

Where our pundits do not go after the RNC power players, the strategists, or “experts” out of fear of being cast to the hinterlands.

So we tow the line, with bad info – and then get crushed.

You want to believe Rush today, when he starts his knee-jerk “evangelical turnout” crap? Go ahead. Just realize they were micro-targeted unlike any other group, and if they couldn’t come out for a Mormon now, then they really don’t give a shite about the country.

Mia Love – Lost. On a ticket, in Utah, where the first Mormon could have been elected President.

Alan West – Lost. Cry to me about redistricting.

Akin & Murdoch – Brilliance. Losing in Missouri and Indiana. In this very election.

Marijuana – passes.

Gay marriage – passes.

Alan Grayson – returns.

It goes on and on and on.

The basic, hard truth

We are now at 50/50 – 73% white voters, 27% non-white.

23% of white voters are moderate/liberal, which is actually liberal/progressive.

We can exchange small groups of people, but nothing breaks the impasse.

So when the Dems go after younger voters, they find spontaneously generated voters, ages 18-22.

And they now win.

Because we do not have young adults transitioning into marriages and families anymore. They’re staying single, for whatever reason, while some do get married but pass on kids for pets.

It’s enough people to tilt a 50/50 swing.

Because they do not share our perspective. Because they never transitioned in life.

So it’s not a base turnout problem. It’s much deeper.

And anyone who thinks Team Barry is going to let ’14 be just like ’10 is sadly mistaken.

We have, according to Obama himself, now entered the permanent campaign.

and the old dog – Rush/Hannity/Reagan nostalgia does not hunt anymore.

So it leaves us with one of two choices:

Go Galt, or recognize the new playing field and do something on that turf.

budfox on November 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yes, we will. Unless the House takes a very hard line and does not approve any of his nominations. And the House may be able to do that.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I don’t believe the house has anything to do with nominations.

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

stvnscott on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

That was my biggest argument against the ABRs.

listens2glenn on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I don’t believe the house has anything to do with nominations.

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Correct . . . it’s the senate with a simple majority.

rplat on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I am feeling rather down and dispirited this morning, and then I recall something that I read about General Grant at the battle of Shiloh in 1862:

As the exhausted Confederate soldiers bedded down in the abandoned Union camps, Sherman encountered Grant under a tree, sheltering himself from the pouring rain. He was smoking one of his cigars while considering his losses and planning for the next day. Sherman remarked, “Well, Grant, we’ve had the devil’s own day, haven’t we?” Grant looked up. “Yes,” he replied, followed by a puff. “Yes. Lick ‘em tomorrow, though.

Never.
Give.
In.
Ever!

Old Fritz on November 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Jamming a neutered Massachusetts Repubican down the throats of the opposition party worked like a charm!!!

Massachusetts Repubicans do not fight, they attempt to survive by camouflaging themselves. They have no problem with the dominant political culture. They merely nibble around the corners.

A businessman is NOT the model for a successful political leader, as Nixon warned years ago. Businessmen take the status quo and determine how best to maneuver within it. They will feed off Big Government if that is the status quo. They will create monopolies and cartels if that can corner a market. They REJECT a Free market economic model. A speculator, such as Romney, is even more averse to the Free Market and competition. He is a master at positioning (for maximum profits) within the Big Government, highly regulated, state capitalist model. He was averse to any political strategy that questioned the servile state status quo.

vilebody on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Yes, he will be held accountable.

With no second term agenda (at least not some stupid looking powerpoint presentation in a glossy cover), I want to know what he plans to do TO us. Not FOR us, TO us.

For the first time in his life, Barack Hussein Obama will have to stand before his electorate and answer one question:

“What you gonna do about your first 4 years, Barack?”

I don’t think he expected to win. I see God’s hand in this. I really do.

He will be exposed for the fraud that he is, we have been absolved of racial guilt, and he is free to fail on his own. There is no reason for taking AF-1 out anymore. It is now time to govern. He’ll resign before his term is up.

And Bill and Hillary Clinton are the collateral damage. Hope they like that sausage.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

You know who the biggest losers will turn out to be?

Hill and Billary Clinton. She will be forced to resign over the Benghazi issue which will push it into the forefront of the MSM. Then Bill will have to apologize for being such a bootlicker to a Chicago Ward Healer, thus endin his reputation as .. whatever he ever was.

Meanwhile, Americans across the fruited plains will be subjected to a grueling 4 years of leftism at the helm of Urkel the Great.

/Yes, elections have consequences. Let the Dems bear their fruit.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Since Nixon no RINO has won the presidency. Six straight losses.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Are you forgetting about George HW Bush and his son? Or do you consider them “real” Republicans?

UltimateBob on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

UltimateBob on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

You have to give the Georges credit, they hid their progressive leanings pretty well. HW had the momentum of Reagan’s 8 years and W ran as a social conservative.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Congress has to approve all SCOTUS nominations. If the House does not approve a nomination, it does not happen.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

This poster is, in a nutshell, the living embodiment of the decline of education in this country.

Listen, moron. (And I apologize for insulting morons all over the country.) The Advise and Consent function belongs solely to the United States Senate. Only the Senate has the responsibility to confirm nominees for Cabinet positions and the United States Supreme Court. Put down the bong and step back, slowly.

El Salsero on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

first party to grasp this might be able to set the agenda

That is wrong. The agenda has been set: in four years we will have a very far left supreme court which will validate all unconstitutional dictates by the current president and any future presidents during the life times of most of the Hotair readers. It took about forty years for the affects of FDR’s court to dissipate.

burt on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Please allow me to correct my post, above. The proper term is “advice and consent. Please see below.

Article II, Section 2, paragraph 2 of the United States Constitution states:

[The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

El Salsero on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It’s enough people to tilt a 50/50 swing.

So it’s not a base turnout problem. It’s much deeper.budfox on November 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Pat Buchanan was vilified in the 90s for his culture war speech. Conservatives have sat back since 1965 while the Left completed their “march through the institutions”. They now have their electorate that votes on dope and bed. We are asked to fellow travel with the Left and appeal to the “dope and bed” sector of the electorate by purging social conservatives. Never!

vilebody on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Let Obama have what he wants. America, at this point, needs to hit bottom. There is no other way for us to change things and wake up the clueless idiots.
bucsox79 on November 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Talked with an engineer in silicon valley who had to take a 30 percent pay cut this year. China buys their product to manufacture exports. Hadn’t had a product order in months. Loves Obamacare covering older dependents like his deadbeat stepson. Nothing mattered but the short term fix. He is elated today. Hope he enjoys his Obamaphone

This is Obama’s constituency – re distributionists. Those who voted, voted for ‘me’

Yet conservatives still got half the votes

It took barbarians to get ancient Rome off the dole but Rome had to become mush first. No 50/50 there

Our Civil War was between those who supported slavery, and those who did not. There is no compromise on such an issue.

We are now divided between those who would be slaves owned and cared for by the state, and those who would be free. One group finds the Constitution to be a barrier, while the other needs it for liberty

The Civil War and the American Revolution came in the wake of great religious revivals. I see a slide the other direction. Obama owns the press, as did Hitler, which is why I call the group the new nazis.

Not depressed. The prince of darkness will be the lord of this world until the end times, so business as usual.

Heh. Heard a lot of advice from the left this morning: drop the tea party … just trying to help. If the GOP drops the Tea Party, they can all get cumbaya which is supposed to help the GOP. IMHO if the Tea Party is kicked out, the GOP goes away fast.

I too think we will have to hit bottom to reach the Me-people. I do not think hitting bottom will shrink the Tea Party.

entagor on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I don’t think this is a realignment towards the Left. I think it is a realignment away from the Right. I think Americans are relatively sane in regards to big government/whatever. But they simply don’t trust Republicans.

While the Democrats uses it as an excuse to pretend their policies are awesome but the public doesn’t understand, I think it is very true for the Republicans. I think the Republicans have a messaging problem.

Some more thoughts:
- Romney is a great guy and I think he would have been a good president. But he played right into voters’ fears by being a rich white guy.
- Obama went small in the campaign. Romney went big. But not big enough. In retrospect, Romney should have made this election not about the economy, but about the Future. Red or Blue? Right or Left? Fiscal sanity or Fiscal disaster?

Scopper on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

tdarrington on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Think you’re missing the point. We wanted at least an 80% conservative. Mittness is a 100% moderate squish and at best a 60% conservative. Oboobi is a 100% progressive and 0% conservative. Any conservative > Mitt > Oboobi.

You RINOs couldn’t bear a conservative and went for Oboobi lite, now we got Oboobi. Live with it.

Once again, a significant portion of conservatives didn’t pull for Mittness. Once again, the GOPe assumed they could go it alone with the indies and unprincipled conservatives. Ponder that.

AH_C on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

entagor on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Absolutely concur.

AH_C on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Not a great day to be a conservative blogger. However, when you step back a second, you’ll see that the conservatives gave up on this election. 10 million fewer votes. It’s not that there’s a realignment, it’s that we aren’t invested in the outcome because nobody represents conservatism.

At least we aren’t in the super minority again. Status quo in D.C. means that the government can’t screw us over too much for the next two years.

Tennman on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

vilebody on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

But. But. But, Mittness is electable!!!!! America doesn’t want a snowbilly like Sarah.

Just a quibble. Your assessment of a busnessman is true vis a vis corporations. But a small businessman that has suffered at the hands of restrictive regulations etc would make a much better candidate than Mittness ever could. The biggies thrive on regulations as a way to leverage advantage and block competition.

AH_C on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

What an optimist! Obama is the embodyment of FDR who was never held accountable. FDR is still revered as a demigod. He would still be president if he were alive.

burt on November 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Yes, he will be held accountable.

“What you gonna do about your first 4 years, Barack?”

I don’t think he expected to win. I see God’s hand in this. I really do.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I’m definitely with you in spirit.

0dumba has no clue what to do next agenda-wise, and not only does he face a more in-depth Benghazi investigation, he faces one over Delphi, not to mention all of the fun he’ll be dealing with if he loses his upcoming court battle over the Fast & Furious, as I expect him to.

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

the Fast & Furious

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

See that biatch on the left? That’s your president.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Romney was clearly the wrong choice at the wrong time.

After he finished second in 2008, the Democrats spent the next four years preparing to run against him, knowing that Republicans would repeat the same mistake they made with McCain.

And the Republicans walked right into the damn trap.

Romney made a lot of mistakes tactically – too timid, spent too much time in states like PA – but he was exactly the candidate the left wanted to run against and it showed all campaign long.

As one example, running Romney, as I warned, took Obamacare off the table for all intents and purposes.

18-1 on November 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM