Remember when Minnesota was going to turn red?

posted at 10:41 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Ah, the halcyon days of, er, last week.  Friends insisted that my home state of Minnesota might go red in a presidential election for the first time in 40 years.  Paul Ryan made a last-minute stop, but more thrilling, the Obama campaign sent Bill Clinton more than once to shore up the state.  We had two ballot measures, one for traditional marriage and the other for voter-ID, that was supposed to drive conservative and center-right turnout.

Whenever I heard this, I told people that Minnesota was a pipe dream, but it turned out even worse than I thought.  Here’s the final tally from last night in Minnesota:

• Obama won with a larger margin of victory (12 points) than in 2008 (10 points)
  • Amy Klobuchar won the US Senate seat by a larger margin (36 points) than she did in 2006 (24 points)
  • GOP lost a House seat (Chip Cravaack in MN-08)
  • Neither of the two ballot measures passed, but they did outpace the Romney/Ryan ticket
  • Republicans lost control of legislature

The Star Tribune reports on the legislative wipeout:

DFLers reclaimed control of the Minnesota Legislature on Tuesday, ending two short years of a Republican majority and offering Gov. Mark Dayton a much friendlier climate to pursue his agenda.

Election Day 2012 brought an end to the GOP’s brief hold on the Legislature as incumbent after incumbent lost — many of them the same Republican freshmen who swept the party into control just two years before. The last time Minnesota had a DFL governor and DFL control of both houses was in 1990, the last year of DFL Gov. Rudy Perpich.

“The [Republican House] Speaker [Kurt Zellers] just called and congratulated us,” House Democratic Leader Paul Thissen announced at 1 a.m. Wednesday. “What a great night for Democrats, what a great night for Minnesota.”

Republicans lost their 37-30 majority in the Senate as incumbents like John Howe lost in an upset to DFL challenger Matt Schmit.

We now have a Democratic legislature with Dayton as governor for the next two years.  That outcome is even worse for Minnesota than the status quo result we got on a national basis last night.  We are in for a significant turn to the left in my state, with tax hikes and union agendas in play.

On the Senate seat, no one should be surprised.  However, it is worth noting that Kurt Bills won the GOP nomination thanks to a show of organization by Ron Paul supporters that seems to have evaporated in the general election.  That’s not a knock on Bills, who did well in the legislature but was out of his depth in this race, which needed a stronger Republican name brand to even compete with Klobuchar.  It is a very big red flag to those who think that the Paul supporters are the future of Republican politics in Minnesota.  There is much to like about their small-government philosophy, but their follow-up and ability to nationalize their support didn’t even come close to getting the job done.

Republicans narrowly avoided a catatstrophe in US House elections.  The newly reapportioned districts almost cost Michele Bachmann her seat in MN-06, which she held by just a handful of votes despite having an enormous money advantage.  Chip Cravaack’s tenure ended at one term as the Iron Range returned to its usual voting pattern, losing the seat to Rick Nolan by seven points.   Even my Congressman, John Kline, had a much closer race than we first predicted, holding his seat by single digits. That returns the Minnesota delegation to the 5/3 Dem/GOP allocation that we had before the 2010 midterms, but that belies the ground lost in the popular vote for those seats.

Finally, the two ballot propositions did achieve one goal: they outperformed the Romney/Ryan ticket in Minnesota.  The traditional marriage constitutional amendment only got 47% of the vote, and voter-ID surprisingly did slightly worse at 46%.  Polling at the beginning of the cycle showed the traditional-marriage amendment to be a tough call, but voter-ID had polled very positively, even among Democrats.  Its loss comes as a surprise, and conservatives will have to rethink their approach before taking a flyer on that issue again — and thanks to the DFL-controlled legislature, they’ll have at least two more years for rethinking.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

DeToqueville was right.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”

The people are uninformed, apathetic and or ignorant. They are unwilling to do the research and only focus on finding sound bites and facebook pictures that prop up their uninformed emotions. We face truly serious mathematical issues. Too many Americans are too busy, apathetic and/or ignorant to do the research needed to be informed. They vote based on sound bites, comedy sketches, etc. The press has continuously suppressed negative Obama news while glorifying negatives about all Republicans. The press has done everything it can to suppress the Bengazi story and protect the president. News executives all over the nation have chosen not to air negative stories, they have chosen not to pursue actual journalistic research, except in cases where they want to find dirt about Republicans. How can we expect an ADD population to have all of the facts when their main sources of information are filtering reality? How valid is the vote when it is based on misinformation? The internet is making us dumber, not smarter.

TheLoudTalker on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Remember when we thought the most we had to fear was a lame duck session of 2 months? Good times.

esr1951 on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Minnesota: welcome to a California style government… Enjoy your tax and overspend policies you are sure to receive…

You get the government you vote for… enjoy it…

Khun Joe on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Cheer up, Ed. It could be worse. You could still be living in California.

aunursa on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Minnesota? What about Pennsylvania and Wisconsin? What about Virginia and Florida being “in the bag”? Among the things I NEVER want to see again, talk of polls oversampling Dems ranks right up there.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Ed ,just please tell me your salad days of deconstructing polls are over …a key five letter word for you “trend”… but I wiil give you a lot of credit ,your blog shows you are a stand up person

U2denver on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I’m so, so sorry, Ed. Two years at the mercy of Brave Sir Dayton? I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

The Senate in my state – New York – is hanging by a thread. If it flips, Andrew Cuomo becomes our new fief lord.

This was a bad, bad election for us. It’s our only saving grace that we kept a lot of our state legislative gains from ’10 and the House remains in our control.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

When the GOP did not dismantle Dept of Ed and essentially gave up on school system and academia, it signed its death sentence and that for the country.

“Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.” –V.I.Lenin

Archivarix on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I knew Romney would lose when Dan Rather said quote “I’m thinking Romney’s got this”.

bgibbs1000 on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

How bad is Andrew Cuomo? I heard he was willing to confront the public unions to balance the state budget. I’d love to learn more of him before his inevitable run in 2016.

Archivarix on November 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

We r the new California. Seriously. What’s wrong with an ID to vote?

mrscullen on November 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

We were so sure voters knew the train wreck this administration is.

This election was about vagyna’s and free government stuff.

How we have evolved.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I couldn’t be happier with my home state. Minnesota was NEVER “in the bag” you arrogant p.o.s.

your_worst_enemy on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Hey – Wisconsin reclaimed the state Senate for the GOP last night. Go Scott Walker.

For Minnesota, it looks like a lot more spending and tax increases. Just what we need — evidently.

The GOP may have burned their house down by passing the Viking’s stadium bill.

Dasher on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I believe the term used was “sucker bet”.

Lost in Jersey on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I found the coverage here extremely feeble and lacking. Something about Ed also rubbed me the wrong way. Not sure what, or if I am being unfair, but I blame the pundits and blogs. Mitt Romney is a wonderful man and I had the great pleasure of meeting him, but it wasn’t enough.

Analysis here from Ed, Erika, et al., has not even looked at how the problem is the structure of our government and the people. Instead they focus on the message. This is so disappointing! If you think the economy is just going to improve now that business owners know Obama is going to win – dream on. Innovation will not happen.

My FB “friends” all celebrated for no reason really. Turns out many are on welfare for some sob story and oh yeah, their sisters and brothers are all on welfare/disability from injuries sustained whilst working at McDonald’s. COME ON. I am done paying for these losers…

antisense on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

A Bachmann lose last night would have been helpful in the same way that the Akin loss was. The party needs candidates who are serious about making government smaller and more efficient rather than moral crusaders who are prone to providing soundbites for the opposition. Bachmann belongs in the entertainment business not the legislature. Jeff Flake’s win in Arizona was a bright spot last night. He’s one of the GOP elected officials the party should build around.

dedalus on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Well, I voted against the same-sex marriage amendment, so at least I have that.*

Otherwise, my support for the voter-ID-required amendment, and my straight GOP ticket on candidates for office, was pretty much pissed away.

*I voted against defining marriage as between a man and a woman because allowing two consenting adults to marry will not affect my life in the slightest.

I voted for candidates who opposed the right of same-sex couples to marry because, well, not allowing same-sex couples to marry will not affect my life, either. I support gay marriage when it is approved by the voters, but it is way down my list of priorities.

MidniteRambler on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Talk about adding insult to injury, they are still running Obama campaign ads in my area.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I think the polls deliberately made Romney look like he had a chance. Until we cheat, we won’t win.

stenwin77 on November 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

My birthday song!

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

TheLoudTalker on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

You’ll have to forgive me for correcting you on this matter – both wise men expressed the same sentiment, but it was Alexander Tytler who said:

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Alexander Tytler

Alexis de Tocqueville said the following:

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.

Alexis de Tocqueville

Although it’s hardly going to matter in the end since we utterly failed to follow their wisdom.

Chip on November 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

It’s time places like TX, OK, LA,….let all of the blue states go, when they need a bailout we control the House, let them sink.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

But according to all my re-weighted polls Governor Romney won.

plewis on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Archivarix on November 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

He’s basically Elizabeth Warren with a spending cap. The unions already run New York, he’s only prevented them from literally owning it.

He’s a social liberal crusader, but his fiscal policy is enough that he’s palatable to the middle. Long story short – he’s huge trouble for us.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I have a self imposed tv cable/news ban for one week…

Bradky on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

THIS has helped me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s02SypCcYIc

Fantastic ideas from Bill Whittle.

stenwin77 on November 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

ugh

CoffeeLover on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Gotta agree on the Democrat oversampling meme. Ed, et al, – I have to say we bought into that line of bull for the last 4 months on this site. I feel like I may have been getting led down a primrose path and maybe I should question other information here more carefully. Appreciate the passion and conservative ideas but troubled for hearing D+ x being “carzy talk”.

KDB on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

your_worst_enemy

Don’t know how to uh… ‘break’ this to ya’ but.., it’s not your State any more! See, when your vote can be counted on regardless how corrupt the Federal Gov., they no longer need to provide you JACK. Have fun driving on GRAVEL all the way to work? Just ask any Oregonian.

Oh that’s right, who CARES. You won’t have to any more! We’re ALL proud of your State…

Marshall_Will on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Oh, by the way, we just lost the Senate Race in Montana.

We’re probably going to lose in North Dakota as well.

It’s tough to fathom just how much trouble we’re in.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

And this site will never be the same either. America lost last night and the scumbag trolls on this site gloat. DeToqueville was right, the losers were too lazy and apathetic to vote until 2008. Now they realize that they can get off their a$$es once every 2 years and vote themselves a raise, not work for it, just vote for it. I cry for this country.

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

This is what happens when you tell the Tea Party you are not welcome in the GOP.

The Tea Party gave us our biggest win in years in 2010. Their reward even though they spoke loudly NO MITT. Mitt was coronated anyway. They thus stayed home.

You know what I do not blame them one bit. I blame the Establishment that refused to listen to them.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

bgibbs1000 on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

LOL– Thanks for that- A much needed chuckle.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Yeah, you’re right. I can’t come on here anymore with all the gloating from … whatever. I am done.

Here’s my parting gift, my favorite song
Layla

If you listen to the music and the words, it pretty much sums up what we’ve gone through for the last four years.

I’ll miss you guys, but I just cannot do this anymore.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

The great 2012 Hotair intellectual bubble popped last night. The bizarre conspiracy theories of bad poll numbers and manipulated results were killed like the birth certificate theories. The polls, Nate Silver, Las Vegas Odds, predictive markets, etc. were 100% accurate, honest, and predictive. If Florida goes for Obama, it will be the only state that did not follow predictions. Open your eyes and realize that all these organizations were not trying to trick you. If you were wrong about this, what else are you wrong about it?

Think for yourselves, do your own research, and listen to different opinions.

ZippyZ on November 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Our greatest enemies are not Democrats and liberals. Our greatest enemies are a media that censors the news and works to destroy good people like Sarah Palin and Allen West; a public education system that is more interested in political correctness and indoctrination than educating; and bureauracy and courts that work against the will of the American people.

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You mean those “trolls” that won big time for the GOP in 2010.

What did you expect after demanding Todd Akin leave the race he won fairly? After forcing Mitt Romney down our throats after we said time and time again No Mitt. After assuring us Mitt would win them blaming us not him for his loss.

I’m sorry to break this news to you but the “trolls” are the majority of the GOP. Although the Establishment does have the majority of the money in the GOP.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Hey let’s nominate a liberal and we can beat Obama!…..idiots

unseen on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Rick, I hope you’ll contact me: LindseyBlue2@gmail.com

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Hmm. If he is fiscally sane he cannot be a liberal in the mold of Ogabe or Fauxahontas. At this point, I’ll take anyone who can put the troglocon GOP wing out of their misery while staying within the budget. Which is to say, between him and Rubio I’m not sure whom I’d be voting today for.

Archivarix on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Oh, by the way, we just lost the Senate Race in Montana.

We’re probably going to lose in North Dakota as well.

It’s tough to fathom just how much trouble we’re in.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ugh. The Romney loss was bitterly disappointing, but it’s an absolute catastrophe in the Senate. What a clusterfark. Not only did we lose races in very red states, we’ve also now got Fauxcahontas.

I’m tempted to just throw up my hands and ditch politics altogether. Life is too short to spend so much time and energy investing in these horse races when, at the end of the day, about half the country will vote the other way regardless and members of your own “side” will stay home. It was disheartening to spend all day at a polling place yesterday volunteering for Romney/Ryan, only to come home to find out many of my fellow Republicans didn’t even bother to vote.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Nobody seriously thought Minnesota would turn red. These are the same people that elected Al Franken to the Senate and Jesse “The Body” Ventura as governor.

Mitoch55 on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Very true but remember Allen West is also hated by the Establishment Republicans. They were rejoicing at his loss last night. Far better to have a Democrat in his seat.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think it’s the O’Donnell effect in the Senate. One bad apple spoils the whole barrel. Which is to say: if even one of our Senate candidates makes an absolute fool of him or herself, all our Senate candidates underperform. In 2010 it was Angle and O’Donnell. This year it was Akin and Mourdock.

I don’t want to hear this garbage about how Akin “wasn’t really Tea Party,” either. Tough. The Tea Party should have settled on one candidate in the primary instead of dividing between two and letting Akin slip through.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Very true. It’s like the RINO above lamenting the fact that Michele Bachmann won. We ran RINOs (who were acceptable to the GOP estanlishment) for Presidentin 2008 and 2012 and what do we have to show for it?

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

You mean those “trolls” that won big time for the GOP in 2010.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Stfu already. Guess what, Romney WON MO…Akin hurt Akin, and he cost us a seat. That’s on him and the idiots who convinced him to stay in.

If you represent the majority of the GOP, God help us.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Care to explain why all the “moderate Republicans” lost?

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for the update from the state of my birth: I just sent a text to my mom in SW MN and my brother and twin sis in the twin cities. I said they need to get out before it’s too late.

Mom responded, “You are so right. I’m still in shock.”

I’m not.

Hat Trick on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Rick, I hope you’ll contact me: LindseyBlue2@gmail.com

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I will soon, I don’t know how much more of this I can take either.

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Oh, by the way, we just lost the Senate Race in Montana.

We’re probably going to lose in North Dakota as well.

It’s tough to fathom just how much trouble we’re in.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

This is inexcusable. To lose seats in the Senate with so many winnable seats is beyond pathetic. Cornyn needs to lose his job. And while we are it, get rid of Mitch McConnell. He is awful.

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

And this site will never be the same either.

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I agree. The Blue-out last night was disgraceful. A slap in the face to all posters.

derft on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Hey let’s nominate a liberal and we can beat Obama!…..idiots

No! The electorate changed. We need a candidate even MORE liberal, though I’m not sure where we’ll find one who is more liberal than the guy who gave us the very model for ObamaCare, i.e. RomneyCare. Romney could never etch-a-sketch himself back to a progressive thoroughly enough after he was forced to tongue-kiss all those tea-partying social conservatives everyone hates but who actually, you know, win elections and stuff.

… idiots …

casuist on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

What a difference a day makes. I’m sorry folks, but if the Republicans had run one of our more “conservative” choices, hell if Sarah had bucked up and ran even, it would have been worse guys, worse, not better.

Face it, people agree with fiscal sanity. They don’t agree with hard edge social issues and demonization.

Worse folks, worse, not better.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Time to let the blue states go; if they go broke, “too damn bad”.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Stock market down 300 points, that’s got to warm the cockles of Obama’s heart…

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If you represent the majority of the GOP, God help us.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Romney hurt Akin.

Romney demanded Akin leave the race he had won.

No one has ever been able to name another politician asked to abandon a race they won over something they said then took back.

Priebus and Romney are 100% the reason Akin lost and Mourdock.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Oh Bishop. Tell me again which state is in worse shape.

Hint – while Wisconsin also went for Teh SCOAMF and Baldwin in the Senate race, we hung onto all our GOP Congressmen and reset the incoming Legislature to the way it was when Scott Walker was sworn in as governor (18-15 R in the Senate, 60-39 R in the Assembly).

Steve Eggleston on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Well, one idiot allows the media to paint the whole party as extremists, so it’s no wonder they drag others down.

Just because you get the Tea Party stamp of approval does NOT mean you’ll make a good general election candidate. We have to stoip assuming that the person who runs farthest to the Right will be the one embraced by the masses. Not so.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We don’t need a more liberal or conservative candidate, we need a more libertarian candidate.

…and no not Ron Paul.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It’s a rare invite. Take it as you will. And, Carry on.

I just can’t do this anymore. And I won’t.

I’ve met some really good people on here, learned a lot, lived a lot, but frankly (can I call you Frank), I’m done. Ready to live again. FUBO.

That is all. Catch up with ya’ll in a few years. Love, and best to all.

Lindsey

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Ed -

There were a lot of pipe dreams – Michigan (my state), Pennsylvanis, Iowa and, of course Minnesota). At least Ohio and Florida were fairly close.

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

With the Governor and Legislature in full Democrat party control we can now achieve great things!

Like….

Becoming the number one highest taxed state in the union!

We’re number one! We’re number one! We’re number one

#VOMIT

abnormal_1 on November 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Worse folks, worse, not better.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Pure delusion.

Sixth Establishment Republican in a row to lose.

Five Conservative Republicans in a row won. The Tea Party won big time just two years ago. But they could not have won last night. Give me one little bit of evidence to support your nonsense.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Romney hurt Akin.
Romney demanded Akin leave the race he had won.
Priebus and Romney are 100% the reason Akin lost and Mourdock.
Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Yeah! Their blazing stupid tone deaf comments and continued standing behind the idea if not the exact wording had nothing to do with it at all! Zip! People actually love, share, and appreciate those types of ideas!

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’m not surprised that this race was close. South St. Paul was added to the 2nd District this year. SSP has always been heavily influenced by labor (we even have our very own SEIU office in town) and we have added a large influx of low income voters because of our housing rental market.

MaryM on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

By definition, most Libertarian candidates are crazy – Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Bob Barr. Worst of all, Barr looks like a Nazi prison guard.

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Haha!

Pity the bald avenger he has lost his mighty ability to unskew the polls!

Love this

Too bad you never shared any of that cold water pragmatism with the people who enable you to sit in your house making up bs.

You basically sold a false bill of goods to these poor saps to gild your own nest. After 4 years of lies and blather what do you have to show for it?

The same thing you had before you started. Nothing.

tommyhawk on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

You really are a psychopath if you believe Santorum would’ve won in a landslide.

wargamer6 on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee Are we having fun yet…………..

DJIA $DJI

NYSE $NYA
8,130.77
-181.5836
(-2.18%)

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

ROFL Mitt had a turnout of 14 million less than McCain and you wanty to blame the TEa party.,…tip if you and perople like you had not spend every day for the last 2 years attacking the TEa Party the result last night would have been different.

unseen on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Cheer up, Ed. It could be worse. You could still be living in California.

aunursa on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

California government, higher taxes and higher spending just came to Ed…

Watch your wallet… the “other Californians” just TEMPORARILY raised our state sales tax yesterday to help Governor Moonbeam close the deficit caused by massive overspending of the Democrat controlled Assemby and Senate… fabulous…

Khun Joe on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Romney hurt Akin.

Romney demanded Akin leave the race he had won.

Priebus and Romney are 100% the reason Akin lost and Mourdock.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hey, genius? He was asked to leave the race because he thought women’s bodies could magically detect rape sperm and instantly became radioactive to most of the voting public. Romney didn’t do that to him. When you’re trying to be one of just 100 senators, it helps to not reveal that you don’t have even a basic understanding of biology,

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

We as a party have to go Full Reagan. AMNESTY.

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If people “agree with fiscal sanity,” how on earth did Obama beat Romney?

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

It’s amazing isn’t it? Time after time we heard that the economy was the first issue and that an overwhelming percentage think we are on the wrong track. What is it about Obama that makes them think he is teachable? I hate to think that the majority is only thinking about their personal situation but that is how it appears.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

unseen on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The GOP convention would have been a nice time for Romney INC to bring us all together.

Instead they laid down with Chris Christie, and well……

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Who ran on social issues?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

There’s no use in reasoning with him. He thinks if you go full out Akin, you’ll win in a landslide.

wargamer6 on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Care to explain why all the “moderate Republicans” lost?

Well, to be fair, Romney’s inevitable loss doesn’t support any hypothesis about the electoral performance of moderate Republicans. He is also a financier from a despised industry at this historical moment–equity capital–and a man whose personal story is remote from the experience of most Americans. The guy lost to McCain AND Huckabee in 2009. All he ever had going for him was a small base of high-dollar donors and a vast personal fortune. I wish I could say that he did the most with what he had but he squandered the entire summer.

Hey, but the Romney claque will always have that first debate that didn’t matter much at all.

casuist on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Ed -

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wisconsin was not a pipe dream.

Scott Walker proved a Republican could win that State.

Mitt Romney proved that in that State and those others no Establishment Republican could win. That does not mean a Tea Party Republican could not win in those states as Scott handily proved twice.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Conservatives, heck even moderate Republicans,must be careful what they say of the media will crucify them.

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

If people “agree with fiscal sanity,” how on earth did Obama beat Romney?

RomneyCare isn’t fiscally sane. It’s an entitlement.

casuist on November 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

bw222 on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Not so, your just looking at the wrong examples, my ideal candidate would be pro-Constitution, fiscaly conservative, and socially agnostic.

Remind you of anyone? Thomas Jefferson, Ronald Reagan…

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Did Walker ramble on about “legitimate rape”? Nope!

wargamer6 on November 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Hey genius, Obama thinks he can tax the rich into economic prosperity. Along with getting rid of all fossil fuels. Who’s stupid?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Instead they laid down with Chris Christie, and well……

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

And then Christie stabbed Romney in the back, knowing full well what he was doing, New Jersey deserve Christie. As for my once beloved California…. BWAHAHAHAHAHAH………… It can go to hell, oh and you liberals, California will drag you off the deep end, your victory last night was pyrrhic, enjoy it fools, it will bite your asses off.

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I don’t think Ed is allowed to act like some voice of reason on Minnesota when for the past two months he’s been telling us how the polls all favored Romney.

red_herring on November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The GOP ESTABLISHMENT needs to resign all of them down to state level chairmen. Either they rebuild with totally new blood or the GOP DIES. Plain enough for you RINOS? This was an utter bloodbath, Romney took down established incumbents everywhere. So stop the BS, resign and retire your way hasn’t worked for years.

stormridercx4 on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

ROFL Mitt had a turnout of 14 million less than McCain…

unseen on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

By “14″, I think you mean “3″…

The Schaef on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

???

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I wonder which is the better option to wake up the public, individual states imploding or just all of us at once?

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Romney doesn’t do “together”. The Romney campaign was always premised on suppressing Tea Partiers, social conservatives, Ron Paulists, and other libertarians. Conservativism?!–that’s so five minutes ago–you “true-cons” are just bitter-clingers too blind to see Romney’s many perfections.

For Romney it was always all about him. For his followers it’s the same. The hue and cry last night about how “the GOP failed Romney made me weep with laughter.

casuist on November 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Obama’s victory last night was Pyrrhic, it is going up in flames right this moment… Dow -350 NASDAQ -80

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The real question is, which will happen first.

SWalker on November 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My point is that Obama believes stuff that is even more ridiculous than Akin and it impacts the entire nation. Who got elected? There is a distinct double standard on how stupidity is treated in this country. Mr. Akin might be a wackadoodle but his beliefs have no impact on anyone. Would we could say the same about Obama.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Sixth Establishment Republican in a row to lose.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

True conservatives weren’t running in 2012, with possible exception of Rick Perry (who could give Biden a head start in the Dumb and Dumber Run) and Ron Paul (who has a snowball’s chance in hell to be elected). Gingrich is a governmental stooge and has more personal baggage than JFK Airport, Santorum is the ultimate troglocon in Huckabee’s mold, Tim Pawlenty had all the attitudes and fundraising capacity of a nerdy Boy Scout, and Michele Bachmann is a Palin wannabe with a big mouth and zero clues.

The Republican Party is done. Marco Rubio, a.k.a. GWB with a tan, will not save it. Do you know why the professional left threw their support behind OWS so readily? Because they wanted to crowd out the conservatives. The original message of the OWS, before rape-free tents and public defecation, was exactly what the new conservative party must embrace. Expose the Dems for what they are – the Wall Street shills using Free Shit Army and blacks as voting plantation. That, and getting rid of the troglocon wing will open the new party for the young generation.

Archivarix on November 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

It’s a rare invite. Take it as you will. And, Carry on.

I just can’t do this anymore. And I won’t.

That is all. Catch up with ya’ll in a few years. Love, and best to all.

Lindsey

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I just sent my email addy. I hope you respond.

VegasRick on November 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM