Quotes of the day

posted at 10:52 pm on November 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Having lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections, Republicans plunged Wednesday into an intense period of self-examination, blame-setting and testy debate over whether their party needs serious change or just some minor tweaks…

“The Republican Party is exactly right on the issues,” said Terry Holt, a veteran GOP strategist with close ties to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio. The party mainly needs to nominate candidates who can relate to average Americans better than multimillionaire Mitt Romney did, Holt said.

Some other Republicans, however, see bigger problems. The party must shed its “absolutism on issues like tax increases,” which congressional lawmakers oppose at virtually every level, said John Ullyot, a former Republican Senate aide.

“The only way the party is going to move more to the middle is when we get sick of losing,” he said.

***

Despite spending a billion dollars on the presidential contest, despite unprecedented “ground game” efforts by more outside conservative groups than ever, despite having a president with a horrid record to run against, the Republican presidential ticket looks like it garnered even fewer votes than G. W. Bush did in 2004, when something like 15 million more people now call the United States home than just eight years ago. The wonderful Bush effort then should have been a floor, not a ceiling.

Plus, the Senate results were atrocious. Bright new conservatives lost. Foot-in-mouth conservatives lost. Establishment retreads lost. Moderates lost. Way too many people lost, even in solidly “red” states. Republicans obviously are missing something.

The whole country is in for a rough, rocky, even frightening four years. Conservatives and Republicans must refuse to break key principles — but other than that, politically speaking, we need to take a little time to reassess. We’re doing something very, very wrong, or maybe many “somethings.”

***

After supporting Mitt Romney in 2008, some of you may recall, I ran off with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie midway through Obama’s first term for precisely that reason: The near-impossibility of beating an incumbent president. Christie seemed like the kind of once-in-a-lifetime star who could pull a Reagan upset against an incumbent president.

But I was wrong. Romney was the perfect candidate, and he was the president this country needed right now. It’s less disheartening that a president who wrecked American health care, quadrupled gas prices, added $6 trillion to the national debt and gave us an 8 percent unemployment rate can squeak out re-election than that America will never have Romney as our president.

Indeed, Romney is one of the best presidential candidates the Republicans have ever fielded. Blaming the candidate may be fun, but it’s delusional and won’t help us avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

***

Jenny Beth Martin of Tea Party Patriots said Romney failed to make the kind of strong case for conservatism that would have won the election.

She described Romney as a “weak, moderate candidate hand-picked by the country club elite Republican establishment.”

“They didn’t see a clear distinction so they went with what they know,” she said of voters.

“It should have been a landslide if Romney had run as a true conservative,” said Brent Bozell of the Media Research Center.

***

Blame for this debacle is widely shared. Mitt Romney made many mistakes in this campaign. Yet with the exception of his failure to press the case against Obamacare — a failure partly explained but not excused by his own record on health care — those mistakes reflected party-wide decisions. The party hasn’t kept up with the political technologies Democrats are using. More important, Republicans from the top to the bottom of the ticket did little to make the case that conservative policies would make the broad mass of the public better off. It wasn’t a theme of the convention in Tampa, for example, or a consistent theme in Republican ads.

Most of the post-election discussion, we can predict, will dwell on the predictable demographic divides of sex, race, and age. Most of this conversation will be unproductive. Until conservatives devise a domestic agenda, and a way to sell it, that links small-government principles to attractive results, they are going to have a hard time improving their standing with women, Latinos, white men, or young people. And conservatives would be deeply unwise to count on the mere availability of charismatic young conservative officials to make up for that problem.

***

I’ve been saying for years that the GOP has run tax cuts out as a campaign plank–indeed, they’re now over the cliff and about to plunge while Roadrunner chortles. They’ve lost on gay marriage, and they seem to have a penchant for running their mouth about rape. The decline in the proportion of married women in the electorate hurts, since single women are much more supportive of a large welfare state than are their married sisters. So does the growth of the latino vote. They’re going to eventually face defense cuts which will make the hawks madder than hell. And they’ve now nominated two candidates who have put forward almost nothing that couldn’t be found in Reagan’s 1980 platform. The party desperately needs some new ideas to sell to the American public.

But I am highly skeptical that last night means they’ve gone into some sort of permanent decline. It was a close election in which Obama lost states that he carried in 2012. The Democratic bench is very weak–the current leading candidates to succeed Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, will be 69 and 74 in 2016. And Obama is going to have to preside over some very, very tough choices. We can’t borrow a trillion dollars a year for another four years. Nor can we get all the money from Republican constituencies; they just don’t have enough of the stuff. Whoever’s ox Obama chooses to gore will probably be a considerably less enthusiastic coalition member come 2016.

***

The morning after, everybody was saying that the Republican Party was in deep trouble: too much Tea Party; too few minorities, young people, and women. Don’t be so sure. In 2016, the Republican nominee will almost certainly be more dynamic and charming onstage than Romney, and the Democratic nominee will almost certainly be less inspiring than Obama. The economy, one hopes, will be better than it is now, and that will mean that voters’ natural impulse to look for government’s help during times of trouble will be reduced. The country won’t be mired in an unpopular Republican-originated war. In this campaign, Obama devoted most of his energies to making a case against Romney, not to building public support for his and his party’s agenda, and now a closely divided Washington will almost certainly deny him the chance to build a policy case for the next Democratic nominee. The Republicans will take every opportunity to build an argument that the Democrats are wild over-taxers and over-spenders, without letting them tax for and spend on programs that would obviously build gratitude and loyalty among middle-class voters.

Romney’s performance shows us the baseline level of what the national Republican apparatus, when fully funded and motivated, can achieve—and, compared to 2008, that level is rising.

***

“We need a third party to save this country,” Cain told American Family Radio host Bryan Fischer. “This country is in trouble and it is clear that neither party — is going to fix the problems we face.”

Cain agreed with Fischer’s assessment that conservatives are growing tired of being ignored by Republican party leadership — and that many believe the GOP no longer speaks for them…

He said the new party could be made up of not only disenfranchised Republicans — but also Democrats.

***

“He had a serious plan for fixing real problems. He concentrated on jobs, that was the important issue. He concentrated on the economy, we have more than 8% unemployment. People are suffering, the country is in disarray. If Mitt Romney cannot win in this economy, then the tipping point has been reached. We have more takers than makers and it’s over. There is no hope.”

***

“I went to bed last night thinking we are outnumbered,” Limbaugh concluded. “I went to bed last night thinking we’ve lost the country. I don’t know how else you look at this.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM

We have a friend who bought into the whole Y2K deal and bought a pallet of MREs. I think he was eating those this forever. I wonder if he could have just saved them, I don’t know how long they last.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I don’t believe that. Too many people are simply uninformed. The media is very powerful and Republicans simply don’t understand that they need to spell it out for people. They need to challenge every lie by the democrats and media loudly and ferociously. They need to point blank call them socialists, liars and thieves.

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Too true, and we need to do a better job holding their hands and guiding them! I know that won’t be easy, because we tend to expect people to do that for themselves, but we need to be realistic about it.

Anti-Control on November 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I did that too yesterday! Did you actually purchase anything?

esr1951 on November 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Okay HotAirLib has GOT to go.

We need to start our GOTV efforts now. There should be no reason why every single home in every single state isn’t contacted in person and/or by phone in the next election. How do we do that?

gophergirl on November 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I think there are two other things that need to be done before the next election. The first is that I think we need to have closed primaries. The second is to get Voter ID laws everywhere. We have 30 R Governors, and it’s never going to get any better until we can assure votes are valid, and we are actually the ones choosing our candidates.

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I wonder if people who think Obama is so “hip” are prepared for his second term not to be successful. Are they so rich that they will be insulated and are they so poor that they are used to depending on others?

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I wonder the same thing, Cindy. I live in a very red state, but I know personally 3 people who voted for the One. One lady is black, so her motive is obvious. But the other two, I can’t figure out why on Earth these two women could support Obama.
One of these ladies is my neighbor, and literally the nicest person I have ever met. She’s a Christian, goes on mission trips to Africa and is very selfless. She is a stay at home mom and if I had to guess, I’d say her husband makes well into the mid six-figures. They are charitable and active in the community. Now we don’t talk about politics at all. But I know her well enough to know she’s a lifelong dem and I just can’t figure it out. I can understand why blacks and those on govt. assistance voted for him, but why my neighbor?? It doesn’t make any sense.

Nikkia2112 on November 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

darwin on November 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I think we should multi task.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I did that too yesterday! Did you actually purchase anything?

esr1951 on November 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

No. I bookmarked the page, but I figured if I am going to do it, I should look at a few different companies first. I think I will though, because then it’s done and I can quit obsessing about it!

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Nikkia2112 on November 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

She feels guilty about something and voting for O assuages that guilt.

esr1951 on November 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM

As a fellow obsessor, I understand thoroughly!

esr1951 on November 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Was that the one Rush & Laura Ingraham promote?

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I don’t know. It’s Wise Food Storage. They have a video on the site, showing how they put this powder into the packaging. I was trying to figure out how that would come out looking like Lasagna if you just add hot water to it!

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

LOL! My mother was very well prepared for that as well. It was all canned goods, and my father is still finding stuff. Beets? We never ate them before, why would we crave them in the event of an emergency? We teased her for years.

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I Didn’t Even Need Ruby Slippers, A Ouija Board, or Have to Wiggle My Nose!!!!

M2RB: The Unband

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Nikkia2112 on November 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

It could be several things. A lot of really charitable people feel that it is the job of the government to be as they are. Which is fine, but they also need to realize that the government is supposed to be mandated on how they spend other peoples’ money. I truly wonder if people like this know that the government has no source of income but them. The other possibility is legacy voters, their families have always been Democrats so they are also. I had an aunt who was firmly in that camp. She even carried a faint whiff of racism about her as she was from that era of the very rural South. She would complain about taking prayer out of school and welfare fraud but when I pointed out to her that it was the Democrats, she became very indignant and said we couldn’t discuss it. Then came Clinton and Monique, that was a bridge too far. She is my reminder of how differently people think and what they will put up with and what they won’t.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I think the theory on the beets is that they hold up well and we would eat them (and anything else) if we had to. Luckily I can just give them to the Husband.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

This is a problem. The media does not show the hardships of citizens during a Democrat administration. And they don’t even get called on it. And considering the technology, it shouldn’t be hard to prove.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I love beets, and could eat them every day. Esp if they are pickled. Energy food…
Cold or hot

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I think it must be the legacy thing. We live down south, but she’s from the DC area. I also think she may believe that it is the govt.’s job to be charitable. I doubt these taxes coming in January will affect them one bit, so maybe that doesn’t matter to her. It’s strange to me that she almost seems embarrassed of her husband’s success.

Nikkia2112 on November 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Cold or hot

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Hot? I’ve never even heard of that!

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

You’re not alone, ma’am. My take.

kingsjester on November 8, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Thank you for those inspiring words. I enjoy reading your blog.

wolverinefan on November 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Hot? I’ve never even heard of that!

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Hot, mashed with butter. I used to make cold sliced beet sandwiches on seeded rye bread with mayo & mustard when I was a kid. Mom thought I was nuts…

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Pickled…

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Nikkia2112 on November 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Then we should just thank her for her good works. If everyone was in her situation, we could all be Democrats. I think it would be fun to have a public release of a wealthy movie star’s taxes. I bet some of the things they deduct are doozies.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Anti-Control on November 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Good thing they held off on those pink slips.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Now I am truly shocked. The only way I have ever had them is from a jar with a bunch of eggs in it.

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

We were allowed to pick our birthday dinner menus (within reason) when we were kids. I always chose Liver & Onions, beets and spinach. My six brothers and one sister always hated my birthday…

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

We did that too! My daughter can’t believe that, because that is all we got. She thinks every birthday is like a national holiday.

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Night Owl on November 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I can remember getting socks and underwear for Christmas gifts…

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I’ll bet they did.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I’ll bet they did.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

LOLZ. Mom finally got sick of my stuff (she wanted her kids to eat) and started making hamburger steak, fried taters and green beans for everyone else but her and I…
These days I like pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy with broccoli for my birthday meal

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM

wolverinefan on November 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on November 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Love all of that. I have tried liver and onions over the years, thinking that it was just a youth thing and it smells so wonderful. But it is a texture thing. Still can’t do it.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

But it is a texture thing. Still can’t do it.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

My brothers and sis still won’t eat it. They have always said liver tastes like dog breath. They won’t eat liverwurst/braunschweiger either, my favorite lunchmeat. And we are German/Danish Lutherans, go figure…
My great-aunt Ethel made the best homemade liverwurst, she wasted no part of the hog

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM

It seems to me that I liked liverwurst sandwiches as a kid but for some reason we stopped having them. I’ll have to try one again sometime.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I don’t know who I’m more disappointed in, the people who voted to reelect the boy king, or the many people here at Hot Air who I have thought for the past 4 years were true American patriots throwing in the towel.

It’s a damn good thing many of you weren’t around during the Revolutionary War, or we’d all be speaking with a British accent and taking breaks to enjoy our tea and crumpets. I do hope I never have to depend on you on a real field of battle.

I took my 5 small flags, and burned them over the bathroom sink. Husband won’t let me touch the big one on the family room wall. i also chucked my flag pin that was on my nametag and tossed my patriotic shirts. My new pin and shirts will have the Texas flag on them.
S*****D!

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I saw you make the threat to do this on Tuesday night, but I was hoping you were just venting. That’s why I left and stayed away yesterday so I didn’t say something I’d regret.

It is one thing to fly the flag in distress, but I had family members who GAVE THEIR LIVES fighting under that flag and what she represents.

For you to disgrace their sacrifice in some jihadist-like fit of anti-American rage disgusts me.

Flora Duh on November 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

It wasn’t a defeat for Obama, but for the Democrats.

Gelsomina on November 8, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Obama’s got 9 million fewer votes last night. He is not this unbeatable god. He won by out lasting Mitt plus some voter fraud I suspect but dems always do that in close elections. And while Obama the man wasn’t on the mid term ballot Obama’s agenda was and it was defeated soundly in landslide numbers. And then the GOPe turned around and slapped the voters that gave them that landslide thinking they could repeat the same result in 2012 without those nasty conservatives. They lost in 2012 because the GOPe hates their base.

unseen on November 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Has gumbyandpokey been around to rub the moronic “trollcott” fools faces in it yet?

Foxhound on November 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Anti-Control on November 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

There’s a position in the Republican party (and I can’t for the life of me think what it is) that used to be filled to 100% in the 50′s but now has fewer than 1/3 of the slots filled.

The whole purpose of the position was to be responsible for a small area (usually a few neighborhoods near where you lived) – you got to know the neighbors, you welcomed new people when they moved in and you promoted the party (whether inviting people to meetings or informing people of upcoming elections).

We should bring something like that back (even if unofficially). If anyone can remember what that position is called, please let me know…

JadeNYU on November 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Flora Duh on November 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Not throwing in any towels. Just continuing to starve the Utopian pipedream of the rats who live in the greatest land on Earth, and don’t appreciate it.

Otherwise they’ll just multiply and get fatter.

They must be starved, poisoned and destroyed.

Schadenfreude on November 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Flora Duh on November 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

First, how is Sandy? Everybody holding up okay? Second, don’t hold these things against them, it is just lashing out in the sheer frustration of all of this. Consider it temporary insanity and know that it isn’t permanent.

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The leftist media is all powerful. They set the overall national agenda and are responsible for who gets elected. That should be obvious to anyone who follows politics.

To defeat the Left, one has to first destroy the Media. The Media has consciously chosen to be the enemy within. Time to treat them as such.

justltl on November 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Cindy Munford on November 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Yep. People went nuts here in 2008, and then all calmed down after a few days…

OmahaConservative on November 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Dongemaharu on November 8, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Okay..It is a free country..:)

Dire Straits on November 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM