Obama’s reelection means that his will be a consequential presidency

posted at 9:21 am on November 7, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I’m still collecting my thoughts on what we saw happen last night, and probably will be for awhile yet — in the coming days, there will be tons of analysis and data-crunching and commentary that we’ll all be trying to decipher. But, in the meantime, there’s at least some small sense I can make of this, and funnily enough, it was Rachel Maddow who I first heard elucidate my approximate point on MSNBC shortly after we all figured out that we are indeed in for four more years of Barack Obama.

I would also just like to, point of privilege, to say, that this is an important moment for policy. This was a consequential presidency, not just because Barack Obama was the first African-American president, and not just because the country turned to the Democratic party after eight years of George Bush and Dick Cheney — this is a consequential president in terms of policy. In terms of civil-rights matters, … in terms of economic policy like the stimulus, in terms of historic, historic change like health reform, and like some of the other reform, Wall Street reform, credit card reform, student loan reform measures, that this president was able to pass. … Had this president been a one-term president, those policies would have been dialed back, along with the rest of his legacy. Those policies will now be held onto in this country as we experience what is almost an inevitable economic rebound that would’ve happened with anybody as president… as the economy gets better, those policies will be in place, and they will become part of the new normal in America.

It’s a pretty difficult job to hold back economic rebounds and growth in America, but somehow, President Obama managed it. He spent trillions of dollars we don’t have on boosting the economy, but unemployment is almost precisely what it was when he got started — talk about results. But, being prosperous and productive and innovative is what Americans do best, and no matter the obstacles, we’ve still got that hard-working, profit-seeking fire in our collective belly.

As American businesses and entrepreneurs start to internalize the fact that they are now inevitably going to have to cope with the coming onslaught of regulations, taxes, and rules that will become the new normal, the economy may improve — but Barack Obama’s agenda means that it will come at the opportunity cost of economic growth that could have been faster, more robust, and would have led to much more wealth and prosperity than what we’ll be getting. Even as we begin to divert ever-more of our economy’s time, resources, manpower, effort, energies, and money toward complying with and paying for more bureaucracy and top-down control, the economy may continue to limp along, but at the expense of a vastly shrunken pie.

So, as Maddow points out, Barack Obama’s will be a consequential presidency, and not just for the “historic” reasons that were lauded after his first election. His major policies are now here to stay, and even if 2016 is a better year for the GOP, it will be next to impossible to undo what we’ll now spend the next four years implementing. This also means that “inherited problems” excuse is not going to fly anymore — this time four years from now, Barack Obama will have a much more difficult time avoiding accountability for our economic stagnation (although I wouldn’t underestimate him — the Congressional-gridlock excuse is still on tap), and if the rate at which this supposed economic rebound is taking place continues to look so very historic in that it’s happening at less than a snail’s pace, maybe we’ll collectively start catching the drift of who’s fault it really is.

Maybe it has to get still worse before it can get better, friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This also means that “inherited problems” excuse is not going to fly anymore

Why not???

It’s not like anyone’s going to call him on it.

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

So when does Israel attack?

diogenes on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

This should be the question of the day.

dddave on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Listening to the news…looks like fewer people voted this cycle.
How can that be??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

When the states ratified the Constitution they didn’t agree to be subservient to the federal government.

If you really want to get rid of Obamacare and rein in the federal government then look to your state governments.

If we return decision making to the state level I think we’ll find out that there is much less rancor and partisanship in DC and that We the People will get along better. We can all agree, I hope, that due to the federalization of so much of what used to be state responsibilities that elections in one state have far too much impact on other states.

Why for example should I, here in AR, have to worry about Harry Reid as Senate majority leader? I shouldn’t but the usurpation of state powers has made it so.

Charlemagne on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Wrong. All the States are now tied to the Feds purse strings.
Rights or not, they NEED THE MONEY.

Your state gonna push back against ObamaCare.?
Fine, then the Fed will simply withhold all your hiway monies.
Or SS money, or Medicaid money…
The cry for money will make your blood curdle.

Ala had 11 amendments to the state, 2 concerned BORROWING MORE MONEY. This after a Sept special vote to RAID THE STATE TRUST FUND of a couple hundred million dollars.!

No, we are going down, and nothing can stop it now.

orbitalair on November 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Number 5!!!!! The conservative media and idiots like Dick Morris and Sean Hannity and the poll skewers like Ed Morrissey.

Got to admit this is the truth. Ed Morrissey, Jim Geraghty, Cam Edwards, lots of people missed this call. Self-delusion? Something certainly was wrong with their analysis.

Socratease on November 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

2008 was a stupid mistake driven mostly by fear, between the two elections people saw and experienced the true nature of their choice. And yet in 2012 choose this same coward that left American heroes to die and then lied to them about it as their champion . I would submit that the country is lost already, and that she had a good run! By no means am I quiting but in my heart it’s over folks….

nowhiners on November 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

“…maybe we’ll collectively start catching the drift of who’s fault it really is.”

Don’t bet on it.

Dopenstrange on November 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

One more rotten thing to come from last night……….we have to listen to his disturbing voice for four more years. Fingernails back on the chalkboard. Ugghhhhh.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Listening to the news…looks like fewer people voted this cycle.
How can that be??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

It’s true. The irony of course being that we told time and time again that Obama had to at least meet his turnout from 2008 or he had no chance. Obviously the poll internals we’ve been seeing for months were all screwed up. Anyway, I will never be able to take anything a political pundit tells me seriously again.

eyedoc on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Don’t bet on it.

Dopenstrange on November 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

This jackass will certainly never take responsibility, and the drones who follow him will never assign it to him.

Dopenstrange on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I just don’t see a silver lining here.

shinty on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Oh, I am not sure I agree – the upcoming “Feds vs. Washington and Colorado” battle over marijuana should be an epic spectacle!

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM

the numbers still don’t make sense to me. Mia love here in Utah is a case in point.

I can’t help but think the next two cycles we should do exactly what they want. Get out of the liberal way and let them have EVERYTHING! just work to store food, gold, silver, Water and then when it will go to pot, and we all know it will. they have no where else to blame or turn to.

Noelie on November 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

When does Russia take over Poland?

faraway on November 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Any wealthy person who chooses to give up on America, and take his or her money elsewhere…has my understanding.

disa on November 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Noelie on November 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Actually, we should vote for tax increases. Lots of them.

faraway on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Socratease on November 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

..or there was a lot of fraud..untraceable electronic fraud.
Romney fill rally’s in swing states even in bad weather, in swing states..Obama could barley fill a high school gym at times.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Obamacare is now here to stay FOREVER. No repealing that shit sandwich now.

Thanks John Roberts.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

What is his second term agenda, now that we have elected him again?

I think we deserve an answer. Now that we’re not all racisses and stuff. What’s he gonna do to us? How will we be punished? Was he pushed into a second term by the MSM? If so, why? What is he doing about Staten Island? What about Benghazi? What about the Arab Spring? What about the debt ceiling? Fiscal cliff? Tax rates? What about implementing Obamacare and the impact on small business?

/crickets.

The man is going to utterly fall apart. I honestly think he thought he would lose and now he has to deal with the vote. Interesting to watch.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Not gonna happen. It’s their base..their peeps.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It’s “Time To Jump” over the fiscal cliff, who’s with me? Dem’s love the Clinton era taxes and they love less military; Boehner and the GOP shouldn’t save them from themselves.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

or there was a lot of fraud..untraceable electronic fraud.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

All that is finished. He owns a second term. What is his agenda? Now that he’s won?

/There is no agenda.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

It’s the demographics, plus the anti-White agenda. Mass immigration and the browning of America shift the playing field a percent or two in favor of liberals every election cycle, and the left uses it with ruthless awareness of their advantage, for example by urging Hispancs to punish their enemies, which they obviously did.

Well, I see your point. Before I say the rest of what I have, let me clarify from the beginning:

- I am fairly brown; my mother is one of those brown people. She also more conservative than anyone writing for HA, and than most of the commenters here.

- I oppose illegal immigration. The law is the law.

While illegal aliens and even our current, liberal legal immigration system is doing serious damage to our country, let’s not forget another huge problem: the birth rate. All the people bemoaning the growth of the swarthy masses might want to look in the mirror: how many kids did you have? Did you put buying a second BMW or a trendy condo over having more kids? Did you put ‘finding yourself’ over giving up time to start a (larger) family? Did the woman of the house refuse to have more kids because it would damage her figure? These don’t matter to the ‘brown’ peoples as a rule*, and the used to not matter to most Americans. However, the ‘me’ generation, with its inward focus, and hook-line-sinker swallowing of marketing of the ‘good life’ (expensive car, expensive food and drink, ritzy house, etc. etc. ) has changed all that. There is an obvious answer to the demographics crisis bemoaned by so many conservatives: have more kids. But it’s kinda like the moaning I see by conservatives about how their kids are turning lib. They don’t want to take responsibility for their children’s schooling, they don’t want to be parents (instead of their children’s friends), etc. etc. For all the talk by conservatives about individual responsibility and ‘sucking it up’ and finding solutions to your problems instead of relying on other people, it seems that the reality falls short of the rhetoric.

*this is changing however. Blacks are the only minority (and maybe the only group, period) shrinking in population because of the massive abortion in that community. Also, the Latino birth rate has dropped 6% under Obama. That’s the consequence, I suppose, of getting into bed with the racist dims.

avgjo on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Obama won.

Let’s raise taxes to cover the deficit.

faraway on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

disa on November 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I would imagine that tons of business owners and the wealthy are putting together plans to consult with their accountants. The writing is on the wall – especially when Obama said he can’t wait to “perfect” America last night. Code for “redistribution on steroids”.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I disagree about him falling apart.

The next four years will be the same as the past four. Blame Bush, obstructionist Republicans and an inherited financial disaster.

The media will cover for him. They bet their reputations that they could pull him across the finish line, and won. What incentive is there to change a thing?

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Boehner should do nothing, Obvama signed legislation that had the tax cuts expiring and the sequester, let him own them.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Listening to the news…looks like fewer people voted this cycle.

How can that be??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Because the general population isn’t very smart?

0dumba did far worse in 2012 than 2008, and he still won. Romney did worse than McCain. How much did Romney’s Mormonism hurt him? That “47%” comment? The general public’s complete lack of understanding of the auto bailout? Christie’s Hurricane Sandy stupidity? His choice of Ryan for VP?

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m guessing that not only will he fail to fall apart, he will thrive with a new found arrogance and tackle his role as dictator with the exuberance of a person who, after finding out they have terminal cancer, gets a call saying it was all a mistake and they are vital as they ever were.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Key West Reader…it will be interesting no doubt but I am convinced we have to fall off the fiscal cliff in total before this country makes the turns it needs to.

I don’t believe O will move to the center. I don’t believe he will attempt to unite this country. I don’t believe he thinks he has to do anything different than he did in the last 4 years.

I continue to pray for all of us.

Dow down 244 points already.

CoffeeLover on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

It’s a never-ending source of wonder to me, how Establishment Republicans go scorched-earth on conservatives and smile about it (all’s fair in politics, they say), but are gentle and kind to Democrats.

It makes no sense.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Raise taxes on ALL Americans.

PS. I live in Texas and don’t give a damn what happens to those in CA, IL, NY,…..

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Four years of brainwashing his masses to get to yesterday. Now he has to finish the job without performing for the stage. He can’t do it. He’s incompetent. The irony – the ones who will suffer the most are the ones who attended his victory party last night.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The market is voting this morning – down nearly 250.

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Because the general population isn’t very smart?

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I think you’re right..and as the saying goes “You can’t fix stupid”.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

orbitalair on November 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

This is true. This is how the feds bind you to them: with the purse strings.

I worked at a college that took federal money, like all of them. As soon as Bams was elected we started getting emails from our (skin color) diversity officer asking us to take the voluntary race survey, describing what color your skin color was and where your ancestors came from, on orders from the feds because “If you take our money you do what we say.”

I refused. Got another email a month later. Then I left.

So are racial quotas coming for employers too?

PattyJ on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Who’s with me, I’m ready to jump (over the fiscal cliff).

Tater Salad on November 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Not gonna happen. It’s their base..their peeps.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Would you like to make a friendly wager with me over this?

Do you remember how 0dumba and Holder handled medical marijuana after vowing to leave the states alone? This generalized legalization will be a much bigger nightmare for them.

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

He can’t do it. He’s incompetent.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

At what??
Your view only make sense if he had any intention of fixing anything.
Destroying America was the plan. So far, he’s very competent at it.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Meh, going galt.

yenober on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

That was then..this is now. Pot is small potatoes. They have a country to destroy. When they wind up the financial wrecking ball, pot smokers won’t even be on the screen.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Listening to the news…looks like fewer people voted this cycle.
How can that be??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

It doesn’t matter who votes, it only matters who counts the votes.
–Joseph Stalin

They did not get the dead to vote they tossed out votes.

tjexcite on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

2012 happened because of bread and circus voters. The economic crisis has added to their numbers, enough that Democrats may be able to win national elections from here on out. The only thing we can do about bread and circuses is to bankrupt the circus and empty the government’s granary.

I don’t know why we have not heard more about intellectual property, most specifically intellectual property like music, software, movies, and the like. Why should conservative states waste their resources enforcing anti-piracy laws to protect the profits of Democrat donors? Heck, why should some works be in perpetual copyright? Dover has made a killing re-printing books that have gone into the public domain. Applewood Books does something similar, only with book bindings that pass muster at your next Civil War re-enactment. How long after the author’s own death should works of art be held away from the public under copyright?

Many Red states can re-negotiate sales to blue parts of the country that can be crippling to those blue states’ economies. Without being able to get a good price on gas and blebla ore, Wally’s Widgets can’t make widgets, and will have to relocate somewhere like Oklahoma. Without Wally’s to plunder, the tax base of BlueCity collapses, and they have to choose between paying the looters and paying the moochers. A recipe for r10ts. If 0bama gets froggy, he can choose between quelling r10ts and arresting recalcitrant red state governors.

Sekhmet on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Come to California where we just passed a tax hike (i heard). No, it can get a lot worse.

deadite on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

My friend told me to cheer up, that things could get worse. So I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse.

timberline on November 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I think you’re right..and as the saying goes “You can’t fix stupid”.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Our country has left the building much like Elvis and we’ve become the French…….

nowhiners on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Obamacare is now here to stay FOREVER. No repealing that shit sandwich now.

Thanks John Roberts.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The most repellent man in America.

Obama and the Dems passing it was Dems doing what Dems do. Roberts is supposed to be a conservative, non-judicial-activist, “do no harm” type. He went completely against type here. And some “conservatives” praised his intellect on this decision. Morons.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

A stunning defeat. Didn’t see it coming. I guess my only consolation is that HALF the country didn’t vote for him. Still, I’m having a really hard time understanding what there was to like about his presidency, or his attitude, or his lack of a plan for the future. But it’s over and it’s time to dust myself off and focus on something other than Barrack Obama or I’ll die before I get old. Carry on, folks! It wasn’t like we didn’t try!

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Take a few moments, and think about the big-picture impact of these legalizations on the War on Drugs, not to mention 0dumba’s pathological need to be in control. This is going to be a HUGE issue.

Would you like to make a friendly wager with me over this, yes, or no?

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Wonder if congress will pass a budget now that he’s been re-elected? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I didn’t expect Mitt’s loss, either, which was due far more to what I see as a disappointing underperformance on the GOP’s side than it was to 0dumba himself.

The Senate losses did not surprise me for the most part.

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

We told you if you did not choose Ron Paul, you would get Obama. You did not listen, instead the the GOP cheated, ignored and dismissed him. You went with the establishment candidate the GOP pushed on you, the one who you were told would appeal to the moderates, the one you were told was the only one who could WIN. We told you we would not vote for your candidate and we did not. Now you have Obama…Again. Continue listening to Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, continue watching to Fox News…and continue to lose. The only thing that can save this country is the Constitution. You must only vote for candidates who base every action they take on the Constitution. Anybody else is just the status quo. Stop listening to these frauds who constantly preach the Constitution yet promote politicians who walk all over it. Its time to wake up. Its time to do some truth seeking. Its time to realise that the politicians these frauds endorse, both left and right, are all controlled by the same interests. Its time to learn about money…what is money? where does it come from? How is it created? Who creates it? Who controls it? Its time to End the Fed. Its time to start taking care of our own country and stop worrying about policing the world. We must stop acting like an empire. Its time to get out of the Middle East. Its time to end the Military Industrial Complex. Its time to bring our troops home…Where they belong! This is the only way we get our country back!

dom89031 on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

One brite note firearm and ammo sales should continue to be at record highs, till their outlawed that is……

nowhiners on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

It was an election based on demographics, not country. One side spoke of America, the other chose to demagog about race, color and gender. The left won because they’re good at that.

LizardLips on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Man o man I keep hearing all over again that once again women voted with the vergiga.

watertown on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

True Conservatism will NEVER be accepted in this country…Never.

Face it, americans hate conservatives, it’s all I have ever heard from liberals and others, we are ‘scary’ people…

We want to turn back the clock and time, reinstate slavery, in every form, put women back in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant, you know what I mean.

Last night was clear evidence of that mindset. That’s why not only we lost but the Party we side with lost… The GOP has died…

No, I am not being sarcastic, I have been told repeatedly by liberals and others that we as Conservatives, do not stand a chance at ever leading this nation…

I am a realist and a logical thinker, so yeah, go ahead and disagree with me…

I know true Conservatism will never work in this country.

I was not born here, and I see the handwriting on the wall…

America, last night, voted for exactly the direction in which they want to be lead…and lead we shall be…

Not our choice, theirs, we count for nothing, we are not enough in number to make a difference…

The American People have spoken, time to sit up and pay attention or get out of the way.

I shall stop by from time to time, but the time for hashing things out on this or any blog are over… it’s pointless…

We talk to ourselves and solve nothing…

Since America has chosen the destructive path, at my age, I am content to sit back and watch it fall, my puny voice means nothing.

In due time the death panels will come for me…

Which pill do I choose? :-)…

My treatment which Tricare picks up for me, costs over 70k a year…

I shall be one of the first to be dropped by the wayside.

I cannot afford healthcare… I cannot even afford Obamacare…

I am in the ‘limbo’ place, too ill too work, don’t qualify for anything, I didn’t work enough, and when I am of the age for medicare, well, will they pick me to live?

Perhaps I will be one of the lucky ones… I won’t have to see the total destruction of this country I call my own…

God Bless America.

Bye ya’all… see ya around :-) it’s been fun whilst it lasted.

Too many good folk on here… Take care each and everyone of you!

Scrumpy on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Over at Red State, Erick Erickson is arguing that Romney lost because he wasn’t a true Conservative, and that voters rejected him because he didn’t articulate Tea Party principles. So how does he explain the loss of Allen West?

This country if FINISHED. The American flag may still symbolize something, but it no longer represents a nation founded on the the blood of those who fought for it’s ideals. It’s just an ornament now, like a “holiday” tree.

ardenenoch on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

If we’re one country like he says, then he’d better plan on raising taxes on EVERYONE and not just the biggest producers and innovators in this country. I am so sick of half of the country taking from the other half and thinking it’s justified.

Not sure how all that polling could be so wrong, how the enthusiam gap was supposed to be on the GOP side and the massive rallies we all saw couldn’t push us over the top. Then again, when people like J. Jackson Jr. and Chief “spewing lies” Warren get elected, you must question the sanity of the voting population.

On the other hand, GOP voters put Mourdock and Akins on the ticket so our side isn’t completely without blame.

JetBlast on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

And some “conservatives” praised his intellect on this decision. Morons.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I agree. The reasoning was along the lines of this. Roberts brilliantly set up a future SCOTUS challenge that will invalidate the whole bill.

Two points.
He could have done the same thing by striking down Obamacare as unconstitutional and have had it done.

SCOTUS is about to be stacked in favor of liberals.
Stacked with liberals for decades to come.

Mr. Brilliant couldn’t see that coming?

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I doubt there will even be a battle. Two words — Eric Holder.

KS Rex on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

/There is no agenda.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

His agenda is to peel away that annoying mask and be what he is..wield the power that he has and “fundamentally transform the United States of America”.

He doesn’t have to hide anything anymore.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

America is finished and I for one dont care anymore. When fellow conservatives dont even give a crap and cant be bothered to turn out, why shoud I care anymore? The USA will go down in flames now. Let it. I am finished.

Jack_Burton on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Not enough beer last night and now not enough coffee this AM. It still boggles the mind that people can vote for someone who lies to their faces…see Obamao, Lizzie the fake Indian, Alan Greyson, DWS, Claire the tax cheat, Menendez the sex addict. This list could go on and on. Without an honest media we may never see another win. After our military is reduced we may see a foreign invasion. Stock and lock.

Kissmygrits on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Jack_Burton on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

It’s worse than that…they didn’t have to physically “turn out”..they could have voted absentee.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I was very discouraged at the news this morning. But this was on a facebook post and it really helped me so I’ll share:

“Soon it will be morning in America. Let’s get up bright eyed, get to work, help our neighbors, donate to a food bank, mentor a child, serve our country, and make sound decisions for our families and ourselves. Above all, let us realize that it is not the Presidency that defines America, it is the strength and intellect of our people that defines us. Do something worthwhile. Do good.”

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I would like to hear from the token lefties just how Obama is going to avert America from impending doom .

EnglishRogue on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

eyedoc on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I heard an analysis last night on the radio as I was driving home very late from work. Don’t remember who the commentator was — just stumbled upon it by accident.

The gist of the commentary was that the purpose of all those polls that showed Romney and Obama neck and neck were designed not to GOTV for the conservatives and GOP, although they did that, but to rally the Dem base by getting them to see that Romney might very well overtake their Messiah. In this commentator’s opinion, the fix was in with the pollsters and the MSM even before the first debate and they knew all along Obama was leading handily.

In some ways, much of the public had caught on to the inherent bias in “news” articles about the campaign, so the effort was refocused on the polls to obfuscate. That was another piece of the puzzle, by design.

In short, there’s nothing that the pollsters and the MSM put out that can be taken seriously or even be believed at all, forever and ever, amen. The problem, of course, is that the GOP still hasn’t learned a thing from any of it and to see that the MSM is but one facet of the enemy.

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I doubt there will even be a battle. Two words — Eric Holder.

KS Rex on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You are not aware of how he and 0dumba went after the medical marijuana dispensaries after promising not to?

If you believe that was only political posturing, I say that you don’t understand 0dumba and his psychology nor motivations very well.

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Strong words.

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

EnglishRogue on November 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Would you like to make a friendly wager with me over this, yes, or no?

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Your vision implies business as usual..social order as stable.
I don’t think it will be that smooth, and priorities will smother anything Cheech and Chong.

I would bet I’m right, but a wager is unplaceable..there can be no standards that would prove one side or the other beyond argue.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

…love you Scrumpy!

KOOLAID2 on November 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Why would Obumba care? In fact it plays right into a effective tactic that has been the hallmark of his regime..distraction and chaos.
Let the state and locals kick up dust and argue amongst themselves. Go ahead..file some claims..challenge some powers. We’ll get around to it when it hits the docket in a couple of years.

He’s got a bigger pot to get boiling.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The USA will go down in flames now. Let it. I am finished.

Jack_Burton on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

In the words of Steph Cutter, remain calm!

I looked outside this morning, and the sun came up. Our time will come.

faraway on November 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

EnglishRogue on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Windmills and hugs..less salt and organic food..welcome the Islamists and wash your neck.

OH!…and get Whitey.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Actually, we should vote for tax increases. Lots of them.

$300 a ton on coal.$120 a barrel for oil.$15 a bushel for corn and wheat.

BruceB on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

But turnout was supposedly down from ’08 and maybe even ’04.
How does that work??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Maybe it has to get still worse before it can get better, friends.

Whether is ‘has to’ or not is irrelevant.
It now, no doubt, will.

Dexter_Alarius on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

CoffeeLover on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

It is not the fall off the cliff that kills you it is that sudden deceleration at the bottom. We have already fallen off the fiscal cliff and the outcropping we were clinging to has broken off. Once we hit bottom we may limp along but the probability is that we break apart into several smaller nations.

chemman on November 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

What is his second term agenda, now that we have elected him again?

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Fore!

Bobbertsan on November 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

“Point of privilege” ????

Maddow … LOL … Thinks MSNBC is parliament.

Anyhow … Yes, it’s disappointing.

But here’s the reality: It’s tough to beat an icon — even a flawed icon.

The good news? The Democrats don’t have a lot of icons on the bench, so we’re probably gonna get the White House back in 2016 and many more times in the next 20 years.

Sure, Obamacare will suck. The new “normal” will suck. But we have to suck it up and find ways to promote conservatism.

There is hope. Romney got a larger share of the youth vote than McCain, by five percentage points, despite running against the “iconic” Obama.

Things tend to go in cycles … if we can endure this “progressive” cycle and its inevitable failure, and keep focused, we may see a renaissance of conservatism at some point down the line … Nobody expected Reagan’s rise in 1980.

Liberalism is never permanent.

Nicole Coulter on November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Ok, now I need to get a clue…

Thanks Koolaid2… :-)

I gotta put my ‘big gurl’ panties on and go help someone!!

Do somthing good for the good of all!

Talk is cheap, and actions speak louder than words!!

Oh heck I just ran out of tissues… sniff sniff…

Scrumpy on November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

All the Bush tax cuts need to expire. In for a penny in for a pound.

txmomof6 on November 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Actually, we should vote for tax increases. Lots of them.

$300 a ton on coal.$120 a barrel for oil.$15 a bushel for corn and wheat.

BruceB on November 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Obama would like to hide the increases there.

The House should force Obama to put his tax increases out in the open in the form of increased tax rates for all.

faraway on November 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

So what.
In a world of a stacked SCOTUS and bus loads of leftist lawyers, what good is the whitehouse?

Leftist lawyers and liberal judges is how we got where we are.
Has it diminished?..no. Its just picking up steam.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

IIRC Bush received 62 million and change in 2004 and Kerry around 58 million and change. So yes 2012 turnout was lower significantly lower than 2008 by about 13 million votes. And down from 2004 by about 5 million votes. Apathy ruled the day.

My 1 cents worth (QE & inflation has devalued my money) is that this nation has been swept by a “spirit of insanity.” How else do you explain that states elected conservatives at the local level to straighten out the messes they were in but then followed up by electing at the national levels those whose policies will destroy all the fixes they are trying at the local level. Insanity.

chemman on November 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Holder might go to war against CO — it’s about controlling the people not the pot.

PattyJ on November 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

chemman on November 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I agree.
Intellectual sloth leads to gullibility..then denial of one ignorance.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Since we have nothing to lose anymore:

MEMO TO THE HOUSE: no more debt limit raises… no more budget continuing resolutions… make the Democrats play on the field, in the open and under the lights… including Obama…

Khun Joe on November 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

PattyJ on November 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Having a liberal hand pick judge rule in your favor hardly constitutes a war. Easy as pie. Now you challenge it. They’ve got a country to rule.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Khun Joe on November 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Not going to happen. Even if the repubs tried it, it would just be maneuvered around and the repubs would be painted as even bigger monsters.

There was one shot to turn things around. One shot.
Apathy won.

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

But turnout was supposedly down from ’08 and maybe even ’04. How does that work??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I don’t know. I interpreted the guy’s commentary as just another device the Dems had up their sleeve to win at all costs.

Apathy ruled the day.
chemman on November 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

As I was handing out slate cards in front of our polling place yesterday, the owner of the building — a small personal care home — had a lawn care service come by to mow the lawn. I was standing with an employee of one of our local state reps and when the lawn mowers were finished, she asked them if they had voted. The two out of three guys who answered said they weren’t registered, and the second said something like “Why bother? My vote doesn’t count anyway.” She and I tried to tell him that it did, but that fell on deaf ears.

And after seeing the election results for Pennsylvania last night, and seeing that once again, the usual 13 counties (most in the eastern part of the state) ruled the roost and were assigned to Obama. There was an effort a while back to go to a proportional system of assigning electoral votes, and I’m beginning to think that needs to be pushed again. I’m damn sick again of us in the 54 other counties that went for Romney be overshadowed by the Free Sh!t Army in and around Philadelphia Co. Of course, I expect that they will fight against it tooth and nail, just as they did with the Voter ID thing.

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

But great news, you young O voters, you’ve been groomed for a life of working less than 30 hours a week. Just think of all the free time you’ll have to play your video games. Just run out every 2 years and vote for the folks who are “looking out for you” and “sticking it to those evil rich folks”.

reaganaut on November 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

If I can keep my temper, and I’ll really have to practice how I will say it, I plan on saying exactly this to one of my Obama-loving students at a small technical school where I teach part-time.

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Obamacare is now here to stay FOREVER. No repealing that shit sandwich now.

Thanks John Roberts.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

This is why I’m no longer even looking to 2016 now. Our healthcare system as we know it is now gone, which, despite its flaws, was the best the world has known. My parents, along with everyone over 50 are now dead men walking, with the rest of us to join them quickly soon after. While it may be possible to still negate some of its effects by blocking funding, the die has been cast.

JFS61 on November 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

JFS61 on November 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

No only that, but now you have to buy insurance or face the government truncheon.
Having trouble making ends meet??…well now find a way to scrounge up a few thousand extra dollars to buy insurance.

What could go wrong??

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM

JFS61 on November 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I didn’t ask how he voted, but my boss was talking about this last night. Specifically, he had seen the news reports about certain employers cutting their staffs to part-time status because of Obamacare. I told him it was only a matter of time before our company drops our health plan for a government exchange, costs will skyrocket and that the IRS is going to hunt down everyone who doesn’t indicate they have health insurance on their tax return.

He looked at me questioningly when I mentioned the IRS. What did they have to do with anything, he wanted to know. Obamacare’s a done deal. I don’t know if I should bother trying to explain the background to him over trying to figure out how to proceed from here.

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Good luck to you PatriotGal2257.
If you even accent the wrong syllable or word, you will be one the watch list. Schools and colleges are the heart of the beast. They know what to look for.
Have you ever seen IndoctrinateU?

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM

What I wonder is: why were there long lines for early voting every day for weeks — and then long lines on election day — and yet we are told total voting numbers are down? How exactly does THAT work?

SunSword on November 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I still can’t quite put the numbers in line.
RR got 2 million fewer votes than McCain?…Reeeally?

Obama got 10 million fewer votes…and still won??

Whats wrong with this picture? RR compaign was the inverse of McCains. McCain started to rally and then fizzled…RR started slow and then exploded.
How can they have gotten 2 million fewer votes?

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Mimzey on November 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Thanks. I haven’t seen Indoctrinate U., but I’ve heard of it. I’ll have to look it up.

And I may just keep my mouth shut. I like teaching at the school and they seem to like me. I happen to know the circumstances over which past teachers have been dismissed, and being too opinionated and critical — not even or necessarily over political topics — are some of them, so I will tread carefully.

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Huh? That makes no sense. So ANYONE’S policies would have had an ‘inevitable economic rebound’?

And Rachael, what happens when the economy tanks? What excuse will you have then?

GarandFan on November 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

So when does Israel attack?

diogenes on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

This should be the question of the day.

dddave on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Indeed my friend.

diogenes on November 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM

PattyJ on November 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Although I say it is about the pot, too, you get the basis of it. Mimzey doesn’t.

Anti-Control on November 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM