Chris Christie: “I wouldn’t call what I did an embrace of Barack Obama”

posted at 9:50 pm on November 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The question he’s responding to isn’t included in the clip but I think I can guess what it is. Robert Costa posted this tidbit from an anonymous Romney advisor earlier today:

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey, the adviser adds, is persona non grata in Romney’s inner circle. “He went out of his way to embrace the president during the final week of the campaign,” the adviser says. “It wasn’t necessary and it hurt us. Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock, and Chris Christie undermined the Republican message.”

On Monday, Rich Lowry was hearing grumbling about Christie too:

My understanding from checking around the last day or two — after emerging from a semi-news blackout last week — is that Christie’s robust embrace of President Obama did break through and help President Obama rebut part of Romney’s closing argument that he can work across the aisle better than the president. Yesterday, the New York Post ran an editorial begging Christie to make a strong show of support for Romney. That kind of show of support might have been particularly important to Romney (and convenient for Christie) in the Philadelphia suburbs.

That followed Politico’s mini-bombshell on Sunday quoting still more anonymous sources claiming that Christie had once been Romney’s first choice to be VP but had been passed over. I don’t believe that. I’m sure Romney considered him, if only for his virtues as an attack dog, but he’s too brash and would have overshadowed President Mitt. Romney could have gotten basically the same fiscal credibility without the loose-cannon worries from Paul Ryan, which is what he eventually did. Whoever leaked that story to Politico was, I take it, just trying to discredit Christie’s praise for Obama as sour grapes. Same with this HuffPo story published on Monday night about Christie allegedly denying Romney’s request that he come to Pennsylvania for some last-minute campaigning. Christie replied by unloading on the “know-nothing, disgruntled Romney staffers” who leaked that and said he’d spoken directly to Romney, who allegedly told him that he understood Christie needed to tend to New Jersey after the storm and was unavailable for campaign duty. And that’s where things stood in the cold war between him and Team Mitt until Costa’s piece this morning.

I’ve been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, even after he copped to weeping when Obama rewarded his Jersey photo op with a personal phone call from Bruuuuuuuce. The guy’s under a lot of strain; his home state is in ruins after the storm; he hadn’t slept much in the days before and after; and it’s only right for a governor to lay aside partisanship in a crisis and work with the president. But Ramesh Ponnuru is right about this:

Yes, he helped himself in New Jersey. I think he harmed himself pretty badly with Republicans nationally — not because he said kind words about Obama’s handling of Hurricane Sandy, but because he was so fulsome, because he didn’t take any opportunity to loudly reiterate his support for Romney and because he talked about crying after his hero Springsteen talked to him on the phone. The first two, Republicans will hold against him as partisans; the last one, as adults.

“Great,” “outstanding,” “great credit”: “Fulsome” is exactly the right word to describe it. Surely there was a way for the keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention to say he was getting along fine with the president a week before election day without basically cutting a campaign commercial for him. To repeat a point I made in the Matthews thread, if not for the photo op with Christie and the corrupt media’s breathless coverage of it, O would have been nearly invisible during Sandy. I thought he’d get no meaningful political benefit whatsoever from looking “presidential” for a day or two afterward, but to my amazement the exit poll suggests otherwise — and it may very well not have happened if not for Christie turning it into a story. I don’t know if he really was just too tired and stressed to consider the political implications or if he was working an angle designed to boost his Democratic cred before running again for governor in New Jersey, but I think Dan McLaughlin’s right about his national ambitions now. Christie was always going to have a tough time in the primaries due to some of his departures from conservative orthodoxy and, now, because he’s a northeastern blue-state governor and we’ve been there, done that, nominee-wise, it’s even tougher for him. When you pile this on top of it, though? I suppose if Romney can overcome RomneyCare and McCain can overcome campaign finance reform, among other things, Christie can overcome a storm-related misjudgment. But listen to the Ingraham clip below (via the Daily Caller) when you’re done with the first one. Sound like a nominee in the making?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Did someone cancel the TrollCott?

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

We’ve broken the shield wall, I’m afraid. Sometimes you just need to run them down like rabbits.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Is this “They want action, effective governance, and reasonable discussion and debate like adults” what you were referring to?:

For an idiot whose side lost last night, you seem to think you are some how now relevant.

Listen a$$face, why dont you do me a favor and leave my country. You spent years demonizing my president and guess what, the real Americans proved your side wrong.

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Night Owl on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

We can all still recall ABRs?

I’m an ABC.

If Christie ever gets the GOP (or Democrat) nomination, I won’t vote for him.

RedCrow on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Umm.. new troll I’m not a fan of the health care bill because I’m 30 and never go to the doctor, so don’t need insurance. But I need to pay 500+ for insurance. Since I’m an evil rich person who is single and makes 60K per year I have to pay for the whole thing myself.. M’kay. That’s a huge tax on me per month. And I’m supposedly middle class.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I cannot definitely state that Christie’s love hug of Obama, helped re-elect Zero but it certainly was one of the reasons for Zero.s 11th hour resurgence. The irony in all this is that neither of these two clowns effectively managed the crisis.It was only a photo op for both. Obama soon took off for campaigning and Christie bumbled along and refused to interfere when union goons chased off Good Samaritan Alabama rescue workers because they were non-union. Better to die than be rescued by the non-union label.

I think Marco Rubio would be a good candidate if there is still a viable country after four more years of Bozo. Bobby Jindal too.

MaiDee on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I agree with the slobbering over Obama and Bruce but come on, the state is a MESS. I’m in NJ and as i type this a lot of people have no power. And it’s snowing. I’m originally from Staten Island and it is a disaster there.

You cant expect him to go on a campaign stop. Even for an hour, he’d be savaged relentlessly. It would have backfired on Romney too and rightly so.

Dash on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Christie will go the same as Mayor Doomberg and Schwarzenegger.

Only difference will be not embracing the 16 oz soda but when you are surrounded by libs, you may get infected with their vampire bug

huntingmoose on November 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

He is a weak link, and affirmed what I felt about him. He is with the pile of holier than thou politicians who do not have the hard working common man in mind. He will pay for an illegal college student before my grandson and the sooner this loudmouth puff piece is out of the public the better. NY/NJ is the ahole of the country.

frizzbee on November 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The faux Americans who’ve paid for your side’s Obamaphones, foodstamps, free tuition for “the dreamers” and all the other various and sundry free stuff which would take too long to list, would be more than happy to gather all of the other faux Americans and secede from this parasitic cesspool of leeches.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM

The election was lost because of the lack of Hispanic votes, not Obama hugging a fat guy. Obama hugging a fat guy did not lose the Hispanic vote.

JTKBIZ on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Name me a state we win with even 40% of the Hispanic vote? This lie is being pushed by the Bush people and it needs to stop.

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Be careful what you wish for, if we all leave your bills are going to go unpaid.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM

+ 1,000

Just what I expect from Democrats…..sore winners.

itsspideyman on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Oh!! Of all the things you could have said! Below the belt! Sir, you have now crossed the line.

Please don’t ever bash my University of Oklahoma Sooners ever again. I beg of you. It’s a right we reserve only for ourselves after choking on any given big game. Please understand. ;)

Tradition. History. Success. And more college football wins since WWII than virtually any other school in the nation also originate from our humble stadium. Never forget that. ;)

We will win an 8th before long. Not only have we won 7 national championships, we’ve earned the opportunity to LOSE more of them than most University have ever gotten to see in their entire existence.

That is all. :)

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

It’s actually the second time I bagged on the Sooners in this thread. Them there’s them lightning quick Okie convo skills I mentioned earlier.

In all seriousness – I’ve been up there a few times and it’s a good gameday experience. But you guys still suck for choking versus Notre Dame.

Also in all seriousness – you’re deluding yourself about the widespread desire for bipartisanship in the country. This election made clear that both sides are digging in their heels and are not budging.

Obama ran a campaign where he actually had a national ad with a graphic that said “WEALTHY PAY MORE” across the screen. His stump message reflected the same. It was straight up unabashed class warfare. And it garnered 49% of the vote.

Romney ran a dignified campaign where he promised toget the budget on a path to sustainability by flattening the base and raising revenue to the treasury. And it garnered 499% of the vote.

Electoral politics has now gone from getting the “20% in the middle” to now flipping one or two percent back to your side. Politic of character assassination and anything goes, no holds barred campaign tactics. It’s the new political arena. Don’t be surprised if your opinion is not really widely welcomed in right leaning political circles like HotAir.

The climate is now contentious and unwelcoming to the true believers on either side. You don’t accept any of my arguments on their merits, nor I yours. To come here seeking honest “debate” is pretty much just an excuse you will use to poke the bear and see if you can get him to growl. The shame of it is that you and I and our common interest in college football probably would have a helluva good time sitting out by the Noble Center sharing a crappy Okie near-beer. But “The Won” has Balkanized the country in the interest of garnering as much power for his party as possible.

Ironic that in 2004 he made that “red state/blue state” speech that had even me suckered. Ran a campaign that was all about healing the divide in 2008. And took office in 2009 and governed with the “I won” attitude. Some of us learned our lesson with that guy. Some of us never will.

That is all.

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Nope, it was a man-crush embrace sport. You helped get the jugeared marxist re-elected. Thanks; we appreciate your idiocy, we weren’t using our liberties and freedoms anyway, we won’t miss them or our country.

AZfederalist on November 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Forgive the typos. Multi-tasking

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I think Christie knows he killed ANY chances or dreams he ever had of becoming President. Republicans will remember him as the man that cost them the 2012 election…Democrats will just remember him as a Republican who dared defy their darling Teacher’s Union. He can’t win now. His best bet to stay in politics is to stay Governor for as long as he can, then maybe run for Congress in some form. But nationally? Not a snowball’s chance in Hades. He is toast on the national scene, and this little video clip of him basically begging Republicans to overlook and forgive him for his Obama love-fest, I think, is proof of that…and that he knows it.

Highlar on November 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM

It was a *slobbering* embrace.

LilyBart on November 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM

4. CANCEL YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE

Find cash-only doctors (general practitioners) operating in your area and establish a relationship with them now. Once you find a cash-only G.P., get a list of cash-only surgeons and surgery centers.

It is time to engage in civil disobedience. We may have a year or two before the slaughter starts. Cash only, barter, pay your taxes with cash and not allow them to just withdraw them.

We have precious few options before we have to start shooting.

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I thought he was a blowhard poseur even before he blew O.

GMO on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I would never, ever support the fat Charlie Crist known as Chris Christie in any Republican presidential primary.
bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

How about Palin, you ok with her?
arnold ziffel on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Funny you should ask. :-p. Though I greatly admire Sarah Palin, she would not be my first choice in a presidential primary. We need someone new, not a retread. Besides, most of the country, including many conservatives, simply doesn’t take her seriously. As someone else here said, if she couldn’t take the heat in a small state kitchen, why put her in a five-star kitchen. Not to mention the fact that she is totally unelectable.

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Go have another donut!

forest on November 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Coming to together for the people is a nice sentiment and one that I think many Republicans would be happy to do, but the fact is, we can’t trust our negotiating partners. Everything is a political calculation with them and we end up being patsies and suckers every time we reach out.
Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Alright, and now we get to the REAL meat of it. And I want to say that I honestly appreciate your response even though I disagreed with parts of it Corporal, overall, it was honest, forthright, and adult even if given from your side of the political prism.

AND I understand completely what you are saying and why you are saying it. I can understand completely why republicans feel like they can’t trust their negotiating partners. Because it all just looks like a political game and most of the time it IS during something contentious. When the R’s take power the dem’s go to it, with the latest exception being after 9/11. When the D’s take power it just switches sides and the republicans go to it.

Because its easier to win in America by lying about your opponent, driving on drama, and playing the political game. If your honest, adult, and just tell the truth, YOU LOSE. Welcome to America folks.

But what I ask you is, can you not honestly see how given the actions of the republican party from literally day one of his post election, that the democrats could have a legitimate reason to feel the same way about negotiations with THEIR partner?

THIS is our problem, the continuous never ending game where nothing ever changes. The democrats SUCK. They have no real moral core as a whole in the strategies they will use and are like herding effing cats to do anything and rarely run on more than making sure “that guy/girl” doesn’t win. The republicans SUCK. They have no real moral core as a whole in the strategies they will use and are just as bad at this problem!

Both sides have contributed to this. My point is that, people, sh*t needs to get done, alright? All this stuff really is actually serious it actually does mean something. The American people are TIRED of the game. Republicans lost last night.

I’m sorry, I know it sucks, but it’s not the majorities responsibility anymore and at this moment in time to be the ones to lay down and just say, “Well what do you guys want to do? Ok let’s just do that.” Democrats did take up that opportunity with George bush after 9/11. Republicans have spent 4 LONG years now doing everything could to not do the same.

It’s time. The budgets won’t be what you want, but you’re in the minority right now, and we can come together and act like adults and take to each other and the American public truthfully, parts of them WILL be things you want. You won’t get to set the agenda. It sucks! But it’s called losing. You can however have an affect on it though if the only things you ever try aren’t just attempts to torpedo anything that might let the other side look like they made an achievement.

Just buck up. I’m here, I listen every single day and I do NOT buy into half of the democrats bs, but they aren’t always wrong. And neither are the republicans. They’ve both played this shitty game and it needs to end. For America.

I’m guilty. Hell I’ve been frustrated tonight and have lashed out in frustration. But so are you. All of you.

I apologize for anyway my frustration or mouth can or has offended. But I’m just passionate about this.

Everything you guys say about democrats can be said fully about republicans. Everything democrats say about republicans can be fully said about democrats.

The point is that it’s old, it’s fake, it’s bs, our country matters to us, and it’s time to relax for a moment again. Our media and electoral structure thrives on driving us apart, but overwhelming in every poll, d or r in power, we dissapprove of our government. It’s time to do something else.

I respect genuine people, especially those who can disagree in an honest intellectual capacity. I WANT to hear republican ideas and incorporate them into things. But the America people voted. It’s not the democrats responsibility this go round to cede power to the minority. For 4 years the republicans tried to commandeer and rule from this position, it had its ups and downs, but last night was the big go round guys, and you’re still standing right where you were, minus a few seats even.

Buck up, chill out, contribute honestly, and don’t just restart the game. The democrats will have to respond. And we’ll all be left here holding the check for OUR unpaid bills tallied up by BOTH parties.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Look, the dude gushed and hugged and praised Obama, giving him a prime-time photo-op.

Asked if he’d entertain any assistance or a visit from Romney, he said, roughly, “I don’t have time for that kind of political crap.”

Hey Christie – f@#$ you, a$$hat.

Midas on November 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I’ve been saying the same thing as Ingraham since the beginning of Christie’s lovefest, except I’d go further-he’s DEFINITELY going to become a democrat in the future.

I defended the guy on here in the past-to all those who I disagreed with-you were right, I was wrong-in fact, you were more right than even you knew.

Dash on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

OK. Fine. I agree with you I have lots of relatives and friends in Staten Island and Jersey, and yes, it’s a mess.

But what the hell has Obama done for any of you?

Nothing.

When Katrina hit New Orleans (and as bad as Sandy was, it pales in comparison to Katrina) Blanco spent most of her time badmouthing Bush; Landrieu was threatening to punch him in the nose.

Meanwhile this jackass Christie can’t stick his nose far enough up Obama’s butt.

Bye Bye Chris.To paraphrase your hero-it’s time for the big man to leave the band.

Dreadnought on November 7, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I typed alot.

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Hmm, I remember the Dems taking that opportunity after 9/11 to be bipartisan – for about two weeks.

Apparently you missed the last 7 LONG YEARS of Bush’s presidency if you think the Dems didn’t spend every waking moment doing their damnedest to thwart every f@#$ing thing the Republicans tried to do – up to and including undermining our military forces while in the field.

Sorry – working *with* the Dems means being complicit in the destruction of the country, and I’m simply not going to do that. I will fight them, tooth and nail, kicking and screaming, and in the streets if it comes to that. They are the enemy; they will not be coddled, accommodated, worked with, or enabled – they will be resisted.

Midas on November 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM

STFU already, will you. You’re giving the rest of us okies a bad name.

Thomas More on November 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Enjoyed your response, whither though it could be. ;)

But see, this thought right here, this is what blows my mind. I honestly cannot fathom how you can square this rhetorical circle to yourself. Obama “Balkanized” the country? Republicans SET OUT to destroy, demonize, and deligitimize him as President before he even got into actual office. How can you deny that to yourself? Republicans SET OUT to torpedo, demonize, and deligitimize ANY and EVERY action or move the guy made in any political capacity at all period. How can you deny that to yourself? The republican did NOT make a single attempt to actually work together on health care reform from the very start and in fact SET OUT to try to block what could in possibly have looked like an achievement for Barack Obama so thoroughly that in the end policies that they had created, promoted, and supported for YEARS were suddenly Maoist contraptions aimed at enslaving the American population. How can you deny that to yourself?

And they did it for electoral reasons, that’s it! And it worked!

That’s why it absolutely boggles my mind to be told that Obama “Balkanized” the American population for as much political power as possible. Because the post 2008 cycle was absolutely drenched in exactly the behavior you attribute to the democrats, for the exact same reasons and motives on behalf of the party leaders, and they started it before he was even in office!

And they haven’t relented to this day. But last night, it didn’t gain them a thing the second go round. In fact, it could be argued it cost them quit a bit, not to mention a few seats.

I just don’t see how you can paste “original sin” on the democrats this go round and act like it wasn’t somehow the republican minority set FROM THE START completely on division, destruction, and demonization to delegitimization their opponent before he could get off the ground and possibly hurt their future election prospects, who threw the first stone and who rightly hold the responsibility for the current “Balkanized” state of our union.

Boomer Sooner.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Chris Christie: “I wouldn’t call what I did an embrace of Barack Obama”

I would. Worthless piece of slime.

He can join the rest of his state in being an annoyance to the rest of us (Hot Air visitors excepted). Good riddance.

Hawkins1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Republicans used to do that, once upon a time, before Gingrich, and it was a long time in the wilderness for the GOP.

MetaThought on November 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

(a) Christie is dead to me.

(b) This hot air lib person has gotten terrible. I saw some comments from last night. Really hostile. Now it’s “my country this” and “my country that.” I’m not expecting gracious winning. I am expecting something besides being nasty and abusive to the rest of the forum.

Alana on November 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Please God! I hope that when Chris Christie goes to sleep at night he dreams of one day being POTUS. I hope this was all about getting reelected so that he can be a sitting governor when he runs in 2016. I hope that’s how he sees things because I personally enjoy the thought of his hopes and dreams being CRUSHED when the time comes. I hope he really wants to be POTUS because he will never get there. Back-stabbing POS.

cicerone on November 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

(a) Christie is dead to me.

Alana on November 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I may be done with reading the comments section entirely here because of this. Ace’s comment section is far, far superior.

Hawkins1701 on November 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Booomer – it took me one google search that lasted 0.27 seconds to find this story

It started long long ago…and never relented. The GOP just started fighting back in 2009…whigh is what you prefer to remember.

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Anytime a republican actually does work across the aisle, “he’s dead to me”, “kiss your prospects goodbye”, “thanks traitor”!

Yeah, best to just keep trying to rule from the minority and cutting anyone off at the knees who might actually have some interest in, you know, actually dealing with anything instead.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Please.

How much reaching across the aisle from the Democrats went on with the stimulus?

Zero. Republican input was completely shut out.

How much reaching across the aisle with Obamacare?

Zero. Obama went out of his way to use reconciliation to pass the bill, unprecedented for an new entitlement.

Meanwhile every disaster is used as an excuse to push a favorite agenda item or just trash Republicans. Katrina, BP, Sandy, you name it.

As far as your example of 9/11 – that little honeymoon lasted for about three months. Considering that it was a war, and an attack on the homeland, that was an unbelievably short time.

By January 2002, the Clinton camp put out a BS story that they had given Bush a “plan” to take out Bin Laden. This was in response to a story (on MSNBC, of all places, a story that was quickly pulled) that the Taliban were willing to talk to Clinton about turning over Bin Laden after the Kenya attack, but Clinton instead decided to start his ineffectual “Operation Infinite Reach” cruise missle attack, destroying the negotiations.

At that point the democrats ceased being bi-partisan. By late 2002 they started to push the BS meme at the 9/11 commision that Bush received warnings about the 9/11 attacks before they happened.

Obama attacks individual House members and SCOTUS justices, during State of the Union speeches, something I’ve never seen in my life.

Bipartisan? Yeah right.

Dreadnought on November 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

MaiDee on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Again with the Rubio.. What is so special about this guy other than his skin color? Jindal is interesting, but cannot give a speech.

As for Christie.. I’m going to devote myself to making sure that he is back in the private sector making lots of money as a Wall Street lawyer or something. Seriously, he was encouraged to run for President in 2012 and would have probably won. He chose not to. This is not our fault that he chose badly.

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Have you heard him speak? he’s great.

LilyBart on November 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Please.
Zero. Republican input was completely shut out.
How much reaching across the aisle with Obamacare?

Come on, be honest, you know as well as I do that on every one of those items the “republican input” were poison pills, political ploys, and attempts to block anything, before anything even actually came up.

How can you openly say while it’s happening that your goal, from the beginning, as a party was to keep Barack Obama from passing a health care bill and openly trying to subvert the process, throw wrenches in the years, and contribute NOTHING of actual consequence that was intended honestly. Set out to make everything, even your own damn ideas, out to be the death of America and unacceptable for no more reason than they other guy was the one doing it.

How can you do all of that and then with a straight face complain the you weren’t worked with in an honest manner and your contributions weren’t accepted as if anything you tried to contribute was anything but counter productivity, subversiveness of the process, and an attempt to rule from the minority even though you lost.

How can you honestly sit there and look at yourself straight trying to make that argument? Like you were slighted. Like you were the victim. And not just the sore losers who chose to hang your electoral hopes on the destruction of a president who hadn’t even got to sit behind the desk yet before you started?

Boomer_Sooner on November 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Christie will never be anything more than governor of New Jersey. Hope that hug was worth it.

WisCon on November 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM

And the Pillsbury dough boy wants us to forget and vote for him, shove it Christie, you’re done.

stormridercx4 on November 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Have you heard him speak? he’s great.

LilyBart on November 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Umm.. Obama gives pretty speeches as well… All about red states and blue states.. m’kay. And yes I’ve heard Rubio speak. It is very pretty. He also gives the same speech or a slight variation on said speech every single time. But we can nominate the pretty speaker and have him lose to Hillary Clinton… However, I’m sure that Rubio’s convention speech, a variation on every single one of his other speeches, will be nicely delivered. Gosh.. seriously, this is what we’ve come to.. aping Obama. Are we going to start the War of Women as well?

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

That’s right Cyclone. The democrats did it under bush. And the republicans under Clinton. The dem’s under Reagan. The R’s under carter. And on and on it goes, back, way back, all the way to the beginning with Thomas Jefferson undermining and playing dirty politics against John Adams.

The point is, now is not the time, the American people, by and large, are tired of it. And it’s only the political junkies emotionally invest in one colored jersey over the other and the numbers on the scoreboard who can’t let go of the partisan pride, and be one nations. E pluribus unum, indeed.

A lie, a facade from the beginning? Maybe. But information technology has changed and it’s becoming dangerous to our republic, because the clock is ticking, and I have no doubt it feels like the 4th qtr to more than just myself.

Boomer_Sooner on November 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yes.. the Rs should totes just be Yeah!!! Tax Increases!! I’m actually all for the Rs playing Chicken with the Bush tax cuts and increasing everyone’s rates. Obama loves Clinton.. m’kay, so I’m sure that everyone will love the Clinton tax increases. It will also make sure that Barry’s base actually pays taxes.. at least some of them.

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

WisCon on November 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM

But.. Springsteen called him.. His high school crush actually called him!! I hope that that call was worth him losing his political career.

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Boomer_Sooner on November 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

No…the Dems are tired of it, because they can’t get their way. Guess what…tough $#!t. It’s the way oir system was designed. The gridlock is a feature, not a bug. It’s to keep ambitious individuals like Baraka from becoming a tin pot dictator. and the constant butthurt you libs complain about wouldn’t be so annoying if you didn’t take such delight in obstructing Bush at every turn. The hypocrisy is strong with libs.

CycloneCDB on November 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I imagine he plays the recording as he falls asleep at night, tears welling up in his eyes.

WisCon on November 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

See, what motive is there to your post but spite? NOBODY wants to raise everyone’s taxes. EVERYONE agrees spending needs to be reduced. But when your household budget gets out of hand and things start piling up, you don’t just cut down you spending you set aside a larger portion of what comes in to paying down your debts.

Democrats won. Democrats have control. The people gave it to them. Push for as deep spending cuts as you can get. It’s your role, right, and duty. But if as the majority party they say ok to your cuts, if they can be matched with 1/10 the amount in revenue increases, which is sensible after 30 years of doing nothing BUT cutting taxes and borrowing and spending instead of paying our own bills, it’s a good deal to take it. A fair idea. A reasonable idea. And would actually make a little progress.

Or you can throw a hissy fit and make things as difficult as possible unless or until the majority relents and allows you to rule from the minority. Whatever you thinks most productive for the country as a whole and all. It may just be unquestionable and absolute power for your political party that you care about.

Boomer_Sooner on November 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I will never support Christie. Although I thought I wouldn’t have supported Romney because of RomneyCare either, and if Christie is who the Republican establishment says we must accept or we are stupid, that may be the only choice we will have. Unless we do something smarter about it.

redeye on November 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The left played Christie like a fiddle and Christie let them.

nazo311 on November 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Chris Christie: “I wouldn’t call what I did an embrace of Barack Obama”

Call it what you like Christie, just forget about 2016.

Christie could have given the Bloomberg response to Obama and we wouldn’t be talking about this.

ignatzk on November 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Democrats won. Democrats have control. The people gave it to them.

Boomer_Sooner on November 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Hey, Mr. Know-It-All. I don’t know if you’ve heard of it, but there’s this thing called the “House of Representatives?” That the Republicans still control?

I was pretty sure that no Democrat ever passed a civics course in his or her life, but your ignorant and delusional rants this evening have pretty much confirmed it. In addition, you might want to hop back in your Tardis and double-check some of your timeline info, because Obama told the Republicans “I won” and shut them out of all negotiations long before they responded in kind.

HTL on November 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

So.. I get extra magic money from the gov’t!!! because I don’t have more money to set aside m’kay. I make 60K per year, but I live in a very expensive area of the country, Chicago. Because of Barry I have to pay probably $500+ per month in health care when my company decides to drop me from my plan. But hey I’m just so wealthy.. despite the fact that rent eats up a large portion of my take home pay. People without babies don’t get entitlements.. m’kay. Which sucks for me, but is hilarious for all the Sandra Flukes of the World demanding free birth control. Sandra is going to be in for a surprise when she gets a job.

Paul Ryan and the Tea Party guys still control the House… This is one third of the gov’t and they have a say. m’kay. Ds won and had complete control in 2008. They don’t have complete control this year. We don’t have to demand anything from anyone. Boehner and especially Ryan get a huge seat at the table.. m’kay. How are you going to pass your huge tax increases again millionaires through the R house.

What should happen is that the Rs should really just let everything expire and let people live with their choices for four years. These are the Clinton tax rates.. you should be happy that the great Clinton era tax rates are back. Both middle class and upper class people should shoulder the burden. Obama should be campaigning on this being the Clinton got him elected. The nice thing for Rs is people have skin in the game.

No.. I think that we should go back to the Clinton tax rates don’t you.. Then everyone paid their fair share. You liked Clinton and probably defended his tax rates.

As a side note.. I wonder what are new Axelrod friend thinks of food stamps.. my anecdotal evidence with food stamps in Evanston is that lots of students going to Northwestern seem to use them. They also seem to have enough cash to buy booze.

1. Do you think that people attending a pricey private college should get food stamps?
2. Do you think that people should be purchasing booze if they are on food stamps?

This is what is happening in my neck of the woods and why we are disgusted with helping Obama’s shills… m’kay.

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I remember watching him being interviewed the morning after Sandy had struck and I couldn’t believe how nasty he was. “I don’t give a damn about the election right now!” Well, it was only a question and this guy was New Jersey Nasty.

Marcus on November 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Christie will never have my support. Period

Delsa on November 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 1

I will do everything it takes to see that Obams second term is more of a failure then the last. I watched little POS’s like Harry Reid say the Iraq war was lost while we had men in the field so they could hang it around Bush’s neck. That got Americans killed. I promise not to cross that line.. anything else is fair game.
I’m not going to expand, I am not going to hire anyone, (Indeed, I’m going to lay off anyone who I suspect voted for this idiot) and I just may go full on Galt and take the next 4 years off and go on unemployment/food stamps/welfare…) Best case scenario: a lesson gets learned by the American public. Worst case: we just shorten the timeline to ruin.

V7_Sport on November 8, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Isn’t this pompous ass’ fifteen minutes up yet? I’ve never understood some conservatives’ love affair with this beached RINO.

JannyMae on November 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM

More than creepy that the trolls are still out in force…

Blake on November 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Boomer_Sooner: I think I would like lasagna for supper.
cptacek: I think you would like sh!t more. Why don’t you eat sh!t?
Boomer_Sooner: In the spirit of compromise, sure, let’s just stir that sh!t right into the lasagna.

Sound good?

cptacek on November 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Of course the trolls are.. they won!!! They’re so happy about it, especially since we’re not winning in 2016. Have you seen our field?? Not winning.

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Christie doesn’t like Romney. When Christie talked at the convention he focused on himself. He’s a politician. He wanted Obama to win. If Romney won, he’d never have a chance at the presidency. His love affair with Obama was calculated.

BVM on November 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Christie is about Christie 2016.

That’s what that was about.

rightConcept on November 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Chris Christie turned himself into the new Charlie Crist. His career in the Republican Party didnt survive embracing Obama.

Valkyriepundit on November 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Christie is about Christie 2016.

That’s what that was about.

rightConcept on November 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

America is not ready for William Howard Taft II. For one thing, the White House is almost 200 years old…no way the floors could take that weight.

HTL on November 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Yep, those are the three who most helped to do Romney in: Christie, Akin, Mourdock.

Christie blew it in a very big way. Which, of course, is the only way Chris Christie can do anything.

Meredith on November 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Please. Romney lost because of Romney. He backed off to a prevent defense for the last 2 weeks. He was careful to only distinguish himself from Obama on the economy. He spent the last debate saying over and over, “I agree with the President.”

Christie didn’t help, but his actions reinforced Romney’s smoothing over of the differences between him and Obama.

Even though the economy was the biggest issue, Romney had a chance to distinguish himself from Obama on several issues where Obama was weak. He didn’t do it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM

JTKBIZ on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bullcrap. Look at the exit polls which unlike 2004 appear to be fairly accurate. And then look at the final margins in FL, OH, VA, and WI which were razor-thin. If “Charlie Christie” embracing Obama gave Dear Leader even a mere 1-point boost in the polls, that was your damn election right there.

Look, I can accept that Christie wasn’t intentionally trying to undercut Mitt Romney in order to sabotage his electoral hopes. I think he was trying to appear bi-partisan with the national media watching and with federal dollars on the line. But politics is perception and Christie if anything is a very shrewd politician. He had to know better than to do a public photo-op with Obama and offer up glowing praises of his leadership skills a mere week before the election. How did he think that was going to play with swing voters who were likely having pause after the Benghazi debacle?

Dude is finished in national politics. He better not waste his time running for President in 2016. That suckup to Obama will be aired in endless primary ads just like what happened to Chuck Crist in Florida 2 years ago.

Doughboy on November 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Why are the rebubs not kicking not kicking Christie and Schwarzenegger out of the party? If they can not, it is time for a new party.

maddmatt on November 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

redeye on November 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The Republican establishment is as furious with Charlie Cristie as the base. They had a lot of money invested in Romney, particularly when it really started looking like he could pull this thing off.

Lawdawg86 on November 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

maddmatt on November 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Why kick Christie out of the party and risk him turning Democrat before he is locked into his re-election bid? The smarter strategy is to string him along until he is locked in as the Republican candidate for the 2013 ballot, and then to hang him out to dry so he suffers a humiliating, career-ending defeat to Cory Booker.

Lawdawg86 on November 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I hear Obama is looking for a new ambassador to Libya.

BDavis on November 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM

This is not new news, though it was unfortunate. The image of Christie Creme practically strolling arm in arm with Obama for his photo op, weeping at speaking to that grand statesman, Bruce Springsteen, clashes in my photo brain with the vision of Jan Brewer on the tarmac reading Obama the riot act on immigration. Different setting, yes. But, you do not praise the man who’s at the very moment, doing his best to drag your nation into the Socialist column. He’d have been much better off to have been busy loading generators that day and let the Prez claim his photo op on his own.

But, back to the point, this is not new.

His convention speech sounded like his own nomination speech. I kept wondering when, if at all, he was going to mention Romney, the actual nominee of the party. See the photo on his video above? His lovely fleece pullover has his name and title on it, Chris Christie, Governor. Who does that? Is he afraid someone won’t recognize him? He’s the Governor. And the only Governor who looks like the Michelin Man so he probably doesn’t need his name etched into his pullover.

It’s always about him. Nothing new.

IndieDogg on November 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Governing a state after a disaster by working with the president is one thing. Tongue-kissing Obama right before the most important election of our time is another.

ncborn on November 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I think Christie gave a lackadaisical performance at the convention and then ran to Obama’s arms after the storm because he’s been thinking about 2016.

OxyCon on November 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Lawdawg86 on November 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I’d suggest we support him in his reelection bid if for no other reason than to prematurely end the career of Cory Booker. The last thing we need is another potential young black Presidential candidate for the Dems to groom for 2016 and beyond. The one thing we have going for us over them in future Presidential races is their bench sucks compared to ours. Let’s keep it that way.

After Christie is reelected, then we pull the rug out from under him should he be naive and arrogant enough to seek the nomination in 2016 and think we’ve forgotten about his lifeline to Obama in the final week of the campaign.

Doughboy on November 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

We would LOVE TO LEAVE, are you kidding? Let us take our Red States and be independent, along with the Natural Gas reserves and Coal mines in western Pennsylvania.

You can have your planned economy, we’ll have our free market economy. You can worry about gay marriage and abortion, we’ll worry about balanced budgets and tax code reform.

You don’t need us, let us break free and cling to our bibles and guns while you ban them. Let us create a right 2 work nation while you implement card check all around. Tax the hell out of your rich while we institute a flat tax or eliminate the income tax all together and replace it with the Fair Tax – we’d freaking LOVE to leave you.

Best of all, you can have open borders and we’ll direct every single illegal immigrant to where you live.

Daemonocracy on November 8, 2012 at 3:29 AM

To some limited extent, thanking the President for doing his job is fine. Christie was way over the line, effusive in his praise.

And don’t forget that Obama backer Bloomberg told him to buzz off, he wouldn’t divert police resources needed elsewhere for Obama’s darned photo op. So why would Christie? The problem was precisely the same.

It’s true that Christie would never be a viable national candidate in the GOP. Conservatives love his blunt dressing-down of union thugs and his unflinching fiscal common sense, but his stands on abortion and gay marriage ensure he was never going to be able to compete for the big prize. If anyone had a doubt of that, his over-the-top embracing of Obama’s performance sealed it.

BESIDES, Obama did NOTHING for NJ or any other affected state except release some funds. FEMA had failed to pre-place supplies of water, food, fuel, generators, blankets, etc. – even though they claimed on their website they had done just that. “Brownie’s” FEMA had done far more, all that PLUS arranging for mobile homes for temporary housing, and yet was lambasted by the media after Katrina.

No, you can stick a fork in Christie. He may have helped his own reelection next year – maybe that was the whole idea – but he’s done with the national GOP.

Adjoran on November 8, 2012 at 4:17 AM

I wonder if fatboi allowed Obama to have MSOG?

HondaV65 on November 8, 2012 at 5:33 AM

I just noticed Christie is fat and has a repetitive name.

Now his lackluster speech at the convention makes sense.

Sherman1864 on November 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Just read that the man who directed the anti muslim video was in court the day after the election. Hm, what a coincidence. The. Day. After. And, the charges they slapped him with to keep him locked up for a year are so insanely trumped up and video-centric I cannot believe the far left ACLU lovers aren’t screaming about it. Or the press. It’s THAT bad.

I’ve been been through many election cycles and I have not seen anything like what happened in the last one. The press was so corrupt, not biased, corrupt, that Democrat Kristin Powers called them ‘pathetic’ and ‘impossible to defend’. So, it literally makes me want to throw up listening to the left blubber over ‘how proud’ of the American people they are. Their guy barely won and only did so with the corrupt lying help of very nearly the entirety of the press corps.

One of the charges against the film maker, lying to his probation(that’s right, he was on probation, not parole)officer about his participation in making the film. Unfreakingbelievable. How many non-violent PROBATION offenders get tossed in jail for a year for lying to their probation officer about doing something completely legal and protected under the Constitution?

kit9 on November 8, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Oh, and I forgot to ad….f Christie. When I first heard about the criticism from the right over his praising Obama, I thought it was exaggerated. Then I saw the video. It wasn’t. Christie was so absurdly effusive it was almost hilarious it was so over the top. I expected Christie to start sobbing about O keeping the seas from rising. Oh, that reminds me, yet another story buried by the press to protect the boy King, was the Obama administration’s completely incompetent handling of the oil spill in the gulf. Cause, you, know, Obama rocks when it comes to handling disasters.

kit9 on November 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Look, I don’t think it was an outcome changer, and I think blaming things like Christie for the loss avoids dealing with the real causes — a Dem Machine that turns out its people and a populace that is comfortable being subjects, rather than citizens — but this is nonsense on stilts to claim that it wasn’t an embrace. If he just wanted to get Federal help, they have these things called phones. Or he could have let Obama come in but gone along his way. Instead, he was effusive, leaving me to thing Obama has promised him a gig in the second Obama term.

This just spoils Christie’s “straight talker” brand even more. If this wasn’t an embrace, then Sandra Fluke just wanted condoms for handshakes. He was never really a conservative, but at this point, in my view, he’s toast as a national actor on the Republican side.

FiveG on November 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Anonymous Romney staffers starting a whisper campaign against Chris Christie? ROFL, now he know how Palin felt.

RedRedRice on November 8, 2012 at 6:16 AM

STFU you’ve said enough.

vityas on November 8, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Christie’s self-serving embrace of Obama was a political move to win over independents in his own campaign for re-election.How ironic that one RINO sunk another RINO.

redware on November 8, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I was a huge Christie fan, but he made one huge, unforgivable error of judgement that proved him untrustworthy and cost this country dearly. IMV, he’s no longer a serious player. Just a sideshow, at best.

petefrt on November 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM

RedRedRice on November 8, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Blaming Palin for McCain’s lousy campaign was totally unacceptable and a black mark on Schmidt and friends. In fact, Palin was a cynical move, which ended up badly for all involved. With Christie, it is totally justified. Dude was trying to shore up his own career and was hoping that everyone didn’t realize this. When he announces in NH in 2015, I hope that everyone remembers this. ‘mkay.

Illinidiva on November 8, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Does anybody think that Obama will try to help Christie next year when Christie runs for reelection? Obama will viciously campaign for Christie’s opponent. Even if Christie declares tomorrow that he is Democrat, even then I am not sure. After all nobody likes or trusts traitors.

finallyhere on November 8, 2012 at 6:54 AM

christie, you are a disgusting pig.

crash72 on November 8, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Christie was always going to have a tough time in the primaries due to some of his departures from conservative orthodoxy…

He could go severe conservative and lose. Even Nixon would say the GOP are out of their minds.

rubberneck on November 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I’m done. Done with Chris Christie. I’m done with Jersey. 8 more years and i’m outta here! I’m voting D all down the ticket next year. Let Springsteen dry his tears when he loses. F him. Done.

lostinjrz on November 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Who is this slobbering loud-mouthed fool kidding? He was one step away from an X rated embrace! He had to know what he was doing to Romney. The guy is a worm and it wouldn’t surprise me if he switches parties within a year and running as a Dem for his next election, or for an Obama appointment. An appropriate assignment for him would be Ambassador to Libya.

lhuffman34 on November 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Chris Christie…persona non grata…the nicest thing people are saying about him these days. His career is over. It see a long junk food bender in his future.

jan3 on November 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM

You’re done, fat man. You’re done.

madmonkphotog on November 8, 2012 at 7:26 AM

It’s called kissing ass, simple as that. Now that you have shown your true colors, Mr. Christie, you can kiss his ass all you want.

rockerpeople on November 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Damage control.

CW on November 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Just gaping in open mouthed astonishment at audacity of this utterly false assertion. I mean, not only is the record clear on this, but the entire country was watching.

But I suppose it doesn’t matter now. From this point on, the electorate deserves what it gets–businesses continuing to retrench, full time jobs turning into part time jobs, and the economy spiraling down the drain. Enjoy Greece in America suckers.

ElectricPhase on November 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I bought the Christie magic until he called that Iraq veteran, a democrat, an “idiot” and I knew then he was just a barney frank-type bully witha mouth.
I agree with Ramesh…when he cried over Springsteen calling him while his state was suffering, I lost any respect I had left for him as an adult.

NHElle on November 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I live a mile from the beach near Asbury Park So the helicopter flew over my house twice last week. I gave it the finger both times. Did anyone else see his press conference yesterday, where he was laughing and joking about the nor’easter about to hit? He said “I told my staff what’s next a plague of locusts in the sky?” I’m surprised there wasn’t more outrage about that. I couldn’t believe my ears!

I voted for Steve Lonegan in the primary, but I did vote for Christie for governor. The fat bastard will never get my vote again!

Naturally Curly on November 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Christie needs to go the way of Aikin, and soon.

O/T, it’s now pretty clear that we were in just as much of an echo chamber as the libs. The results of the election don’t add up to how things were going for Romney and the enthusiasm gap. This is like having your team up 3 games to none in the World Series and the other team being declared champion after winning the next game.

Romney failed. Christie failed. Rush failed. Beck failed. Levin failed. The con-blogs failed.

Maybe I’ll be back around 2014 if the world hasn’t ended yet.

Nutstuyu on November 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Republicans made a lot of mistakes in this last election, as well as a lot of bad choices, and had a lot of bad luck.

A lot of bad things happened to cause this loss.

But we can learn from it, have to.

Number 1. Make good choices for candidates.

Christie is done nationally. I hope he realizes that. The same drive that poured money and effort into Romney’s campaign will stand against this pompous a$$.

I liked the guy. Really, Admired him for standing up to the teacher’s unions. But as a poster mentioned above, Obama dropped in for one photo op and ran back out on the campaign trail. That photo op was with Christie. That one moment destroyed Romney’s argument for bi-partisanship, because it showed the divider-in-chief being bipartisan in a national emergency, one week before his election.

I WILL fight to keep Christie off the ticket. RINO indeed.

Tenwheeler on November 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM