Chris Christie: “I wouldn’t call what I did an embrace of Barack Obama”

posted at 9:50 pm on November 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The question he’s responding to isn’t included in the clip but I think I can guess what it is. Robert Costa posted this tidbit from an anonymous Romney advisor earlier today:

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey, the adviser adds, is persona non grata in Romney’s inner circle. “He went out of his way to embrace the president during the final week of the campaign,” the adviser says. “It wasn’t necessary and it hurt us. Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock, and Chris Christie undermined the Republican message.”

On Monday, Rich Lowry was hearing grumbling about Christie too:

My understanding from checking around the last day or two — after emerging from a semi-news blackout last week — is that Christie’s robust embrace of President Obama did break through and help President Obama rebut part of Romney’s closing argument that he can work across the aisle better than the president. Yesterday, the New York Post ran an editorial begging Christie to make a strong show of support for Romney. That kind of show of support might have been particularly important to Romney (and convenient for Christie) in the Philadelphia suburbs.

That followed Politico’s mini-bombshell on Sunday quoting still more anonymous sources claiming that Christie had once been Romney’s first choice to be VP but had been passed over. I don’t believe that. I’m sure Romney considered him, if only for his virtues as an attack dog, but he’s too brash and would have overshadowed President Mitt. Romney could have gotten basically the same fiscal credibility without the loose-cannon worries from Paul Ryan, which is what he eventually did. Whoever leaked that story to Politico was, I take it, just trying to discredit Christie’s praise for Obama as sour grapes. Same with this HuffPo story published on Monday night about Christie allegedly denying Romney’s request that he come to Pennsylvania for some last-minute campaigning. Christie replied by unloading on the “know-nothing, disgruntled Romney staffers” who leaked that and said he’d spoken directly to Romney, who allegedly told him that he understood Christie needed to tend to New Jersey after the storm and was unavailable for campaign duty. And that’s where things stood in the cold war between him and Team Mitt until Costa’s piece this morning.

I’ve been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, even after he copped to weeping when Obama rewarded his Jersey photo op with a personal phone call from Bruuuuuuuce. The guy’s under a lot of strain; his home state is in ruins after the storm; he hadn’t slept much in the days before and after; and it’s only right for a governor to lay aside partisanship in a crisis and work with the president. But Ramesh Ponnuru is right about this:

Yes, he helped himself in New Jersey. I think he harmed himself pretty badly with Republicans nationally — not because he said kind words about Obama’s handling of Hurricane Sandy, but because he was so fulsome, because he didn’t take any opportunity to loudly reiterate his support for Romney and because he talked about crying after his hero Springsteen talked to him on the phone. The first two, Republicans will hold against him as partisans; the last one, as adults.

“Great,” “outstanding,” “great credit”: “Fulsome” is exactly the right word to describe it. Surely there was a way for the keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention to say he was getting along fine with the president a week before election day without basically cutting a campaign commercial for him. To repeat a point I made in the Matthews thread, if not for the photo op with Christie and the corrupt media’s breathless coverage of it, O would have been nearly invisible during Sandy. I thought he’d get no meaningful political benefit whatsoever from looking “presidential” for a day or two afterward, but to my amazement the exit poll suggests otherwise — and it may very well not have happened if not for Christie turning it into a story. I don’t know if he really was just too tired and stressed to consider the political implications or if he was working an angle designed to boost his Democratic cred before running again for governor in New Jersey, but I think Dan McLaughlin’s right about his national ambitions now. Christie was always going to have a tough time in the primaries due to some of his departures from conservative orthodoxy and, now, because he’s a northeastern blue-state governor and we’ve been there, done that, nominee-wise, it’s even tougher for him. When you pile this on top of it, though? I suppose if Romney can overcome RomneyCare and McCain can overcome campaign finance reform, among other things, Christie can overcome a storm-related misjudgment. But listen to the Ingraham clip below (via the Daily Caller) when you’re done with the first one. Sound like a nominee in the making?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Three people got Obama re-elected: Bill Clinton, John Roberts and Chris Christie

Just looking at his remarks and body language in the first clip, looks like it may have dawned on him that he just torched his own career, in addition to helping Obama of course.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Throw in Bush and I would agree with you….

ZippyZ on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

yep, and yet sharrukin and myself are the crazy ones. I liked Mitt and happily voted for him, but all summer I said he better amp it up.

arnold ziffel on November 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

A lot of people said it and were ignored or howled down.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Dude, the thing that killed us was all the dumbass Memes that the Media/Dems used to demonize the Republicans and how we never respond in kind and go after their dumbasses. Fire with Fire.

That’s not a Mitt problem and would/will happen to every GOPer until we wise up and start being aggressive. Bush sitting back while his reputation was torched and not responding killed him and has killed the party the last two presidential elections…Economy was the #1 issue and more people still blame Bush equals a loss for us.

Boldness not only beats/down the other side but gets your own base to the polls as well. Our main problem.

jaygatz33 on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Hey LOSER MITT how it feels to have the knife in yo back?

Dat what y’all dids to Yo the Klondike Barbie that Palin gals back in ’08.

Kind, wonderful, gracious back-stabbing, cut throat Mitch……..our new Bob Dole.

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I guess I’m still the only one who thought his Convention speech was all about him too.

JPeterman on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

He’s the biggest leftist climate change pushing rino ever. And his self-centered essentially anti-Romney keynote speech, as well as his effusive love hug, is a good part of the reason that RR lost. I am sure that the self-promoting Christie was thinking that he could be the nominee in 2016 if RR wasn’t around. Christie be gone.

anotherJoe on November 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Hmmm…………………..

@SteveNBC6 tweeted:
SteveNBC6
Photo: Vote counting continues in Florida – via @SteveNBC6

1 hour ago from twitter.com by editor

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I knew before I clicked my views would be reflected in the first ~5 posts and, I was not disappointed.

roy_batty on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

When obama comes cruisin into jersey nex!t year with BRUUUCCCEEE in tow to campaign for Corey Booker, Christie will get his comeuppin.

xkaydet65 on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The fact is the WH is already howling with laughter knowing this is exactly what they will do. Christie was a tool for them, and now they find him useless. The Dems play to win, unlike us.

Say goodbye, Christie. Obama and Booker and Bruce will be coming to stick it to you soon!

goflyers on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Christie is a scapegoat. He didn’t lose the election for Romney. Romney lost because he had too much class to get dirty and fight against the constant lies and character assassinations being hurled at him. I respect Romney as a person, but nice guys can’t win presidential elections anymore–not with the cretins we’re up against.

Smoothies on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

You forgot Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

NJ Republicans should stand down in 2013 and let this traitorous SOB get annihilated by Cory Booker. That will truly finish whatever remaining national ambitions Christie may harbor. Hell, I’ll donate to Booker just for some measure of payback against Christie.

And let’s be honest, if Booker had been governor during Sandy and Obama had requested a photo-op with him on the beach, Booker would have politely informed the President that he was currently scuba diving in the Atlantic City sewers in search of a missing infant, and that he was also having to fight off a killer shark that had somehow gotten into the sewers during the storm surge, and that he would just have to ****ing call him back next week.

Lawdawg86 on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Christie is no dummy, he understands how the political bread can be buttered from either side. Expect Cannon to pull a Charlie Crist, announcing to the nation that after long reflection he discovered that he’s actually a rock-ribbed demorat.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Mitt Romney does nothing but lose elections. I’ve predicted it since he got the nomination and couldnt come here because I got labeled as a troll.

The romneybots will push for Christie. We got to get someone like Rubio, or heck Bush, to appeal to more hispanics. I’m not keen on bush after all he has said. Rubio is a much better deal.

Rubio/Walker?

Flapjackmaka on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Well, it’s right after the election and no one likes Christie. Hm. Based on recent history, he’ll be our next nominee. Oh well.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

lol, bet you like Far Side cartoons. +100

arnold ziffel on November 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Yes, bizarre and lame, and pathetic. The sense I got when I watched the top video, was a poorly contrived effort to seem like the bigger man ( Iknow, I know) the magnanimous bridge builder, bigger than Romney, bigger than Obama, because HE and ONLY he is comfortable and sought after by the two supposed leaders of the two parties. Making him above it all. A play for 2016, burnishing his résumé, or just shining up his prospects for his next gubernatorial run…but, either way….lame, lame, lame…for a big man, he just ended up looking small.

Minorcan Maven on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Of course Christie just needs to be dismissed. I am sure he has a great career ahead of him appearing on liberal talk shows to bash republicans, but I find it really hard to believe that this is what cost us the Presidency.

I do think it would have been closer if not for Christie. I think it gave people who wanted to give Obama the benefit of the doubt that final nudge, but I don’t think we would have won if not for this. There is more to it.

earlgrey133 on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You voted for Mr Scorched Earth himself so try selling crazy somewhere else.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Fatty McButterPants Christie can shove it you know where! I won’t forget his Obama manlovecrush show he put on. I wonder how much he will cry when Springsteen plays a Corey Booker rally and endorses him. I can only imagine Obama and Springsteen laughing about how they rolled the fat bastid.

Rockshine on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Hey Boomer, cry me a river. Obama wasnt given a chance? Please. He was elected and immediately went to work dismantling the USA. Screw him.
Jack_Burton on November 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM

So said the same AM advertising salesmen, click hungry bloggers, and ratings seeking news stations that told you, “All those polls samples are skewed. It’s all a big conspiracy lie by the media to discourage and victimize you. We’re the only ones that you can trust. Tune in, click this link, send in donations, check out my sleep number bed, and we’re gonna win this thing and take our country back from the evil heathens out to victimize you!”

*pause for host delivered gold line commercial, auto-play Internet advertisements, and the best tv marketing spots that good money can buy.*

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Ann Coulter said today that Romney lost because he was “Too Conservative”.

I think she is setting up for a Christie ’16-gasm

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Wow. She got bent into a pretzel to contort reality.

SparkPlug on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

That’s not what she said. At least not in her column.

She said he lost because of “purist” idiots like Akin and Murdouch who couldn’t just shut the F up about things that like 2 percent of the population supports (ie rape talk and abortion) and giving Dems ammo to demonize the GOP.

jaygatz33 on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

It was clear this fat azz was never a conservative even back during the primaries. His opponent was the REAL conservative option. This loud mouth gets points with the right for the way he treats the teachers’ unions — beyond that, please point to one thing that’s really conservative about the guy. I have NEVER understood the fascination with him outside of his YouTube entertainment value, and maybe now the Ann Coulters of the world will get their heads out of their collective asses and seeing him for the RINO he is.

And the fact that Obama is getting any credit at all for his handling of the Sandy aftermath is simply breathtaking. If this had happened on a Republican’s watch, we’d be hearing about it 24/7 but someone how Obama gets no blame? All day long on Twitter I’m seeing moonbats talking about how now we have to come together and help these poor people without power or food or water. As if they would be speaking so charitably if Obama had lost; they’d be setting whole cities on fire instead. Where is all of the outrageous outrage for the plight of these poor folks?

Just blow my mind, seriously.

NoLeftTurn on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM

It was already established that he was a RINO. No shock there. Christie’s stupidity alone did not cost Romney and the rest of the Republicans to lose. They did it to themselves by playing “DEFENSIVE EUNUCH” throughout the campaign, instead of taking the gloves off like the Democrats did.

When you are fighting opponents whom are “ABSOLUTELY RUTHLESSLY EVIL”, all that “GOLLY GEE SHUCKS, I’M JUST A GOOD DECENT MAN” crap will get your ass handed to you EVERY time!

And the GOP allowing ONLY liberal media outlets to host the debates? Absolutely STUPID!

That RINO “Go along to get along” crap is NOT the solution! It is the cancer.

Ghostflames852 on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM

jaygatz33 on November 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Think about this though. Fewer Republicans voted in this election than in the 2008. Many Conservatives refused to vote for Romney because of this liberal leanings on a couple of issues.

After the first debate, conservatives took another look and thought they might be able to vote for Romney and enthusiasm for him grew and grew.

Enter hurricane Sandy and Christ Christie’s effusive praise of Obama one day or two after. That photo op put off a lot of conservatives. Some who may have voted for Romney.

Romney lost by almost the exact number of difference in the turn out from 2008 to 2012.

Jvette on November 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Seven democrats in the entire state of Oklahoma and one of them shows up on HotAir. Swell.

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

You voted for Mr Scorched Earth himself so try selling crazy somewhere else.
sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Looks like I win.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

The romneybots will push for Christie.

Flapjackmaka on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I would be described as a Romney supporter who would have crawled over glass to vote for him. No way am I pushing for the fat man. He can go to hell and I will shout it from the rooftops.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

And the whole Spiringsteen thing? That’s him trying to bond with the low information voters that Obama has learned to cater to. Ingram is right he may or may not go Dem in name, but, everything he is up to the last two weeks is Dem in character. Whatever, I’m long over him. He lost me when he talked that same obnoxious way about people (like me) who objected to GZM. Be interesting to see how he handles the cleanup and rebuild, if he goes to his inner lib, or conservative.

Minorcan Maven on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

The people WANT us to work this way, not to just go one trying to destroy each other for NOTHING but electoral advantage while that clock on the wall just a keeps on ticking.

Boomer_Sooner

Funny how that works only one way.

Dems did not reach out to Bush after Katrina. As a matter of fact, they went out of their way to hang it on him as an albatross. Reaching across the aisle? HA!

Corporal Tunnel

In fact, the ghost of Katrina is exactly why Obama got such a bump from Christie’s slobberfest and the media’s positive coverage.

Anytime a republican actually does work across the aisle, “he’s dead to me”, “kiss your prospects goodbye”, “thanks traitor”!

Boomer_Sooner

No one is criticizing him for reaching across the aisle….it’s the unnecessary reacharound that’s the problem. Christie gave Obama a handjob, and fluked the rest of us at the same time.

Yeah, best to just keep trying to rule from the minority and cutting anyone off at the knees who might actually have some interest in, you know, actually dealing with anything instead.

I guess you missed it….we lost. So much for the bend over in the aisle strategy.

Meanwhile, Obama just ran the most divisive and dishonest campaign in recent history. How did that work out for him? Pretty damn good, didn’t it?

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Chris “Born to have the Runs” Christie

Republican Yogi on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

JPeterman on November 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

You aren’t alone. I thought so too…

When he came off as a bombast narcissist during the convention, it was clear HIS needs and HIS ambitions were all that’s important. Forget love of country and saving what’s left of it after four long years of Barky.

Slainte on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Slainte on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

And when he’s running for re-election, the very same media that’s now heaping praise on him for his “bipartisanship” with Obama will turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs and tear him to shreds.

Gator Country on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Rubio/Walker?

Flapjackmaka on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Apparently Rubio could barely deliver the Miami/Dade Cubans to the GOP side this year…

I’m wondering if many are fooling themselves thinking Rubio is automatically the answer…He’ll be demonized by the Media/Dem complex just like anyone else to minorities. If we’re still under the not fighting back mode of politics then I doubt it would help us all that much.

jaygatz33 on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Rockshine on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Too funny because it’s so true.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Looks like I win.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Everyone lost , you just dont realize it. Maybe one day.

the_nile on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Looks like I win.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Guess so, and there goes that ‘reach across the aisles’ BS as well.
It’s a genuine as Obama’s BS was.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Remember when Obama went to Louisiana during the storm there? Yeah, I didn’t see bobby Jindal drooling over him.

mrscullen on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Tell the human blimp to give up any thoughts of being the CIC.

itsspideyman on November 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM

That’s not what she said. At least not in her column.

jaygatz33 on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

That’s also what she told Hannity.

Folks looking to lash out at Mitt are just including her because “she gave us Mitt.” Even though she was a single vote in the primaries.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, like the stock market crash of 1929, the sudden and severe economic meltdown of 9/08 protected Obama from being judged as an economic failure, the same way FDR was protected for three friggin’ terms.

Everything has broken Obama’s way. It’s divine providence. He was chosen to try to bring this country to it’s knees, so we can see exactly what we’re made of. If America is truly Exceptional, and is part of God’s greater plan, then at some point, our Exceptionalism will be tested. That time has arrived.

ardenenoch on November 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM
CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Hate to break it to you, but I’ve been reading HotAir for years now. I come here far more often than any other news site I visit. I never go to DKos of huffenstuff. I like HotAir. I appreciate HotAir. I much prefer opinions that challenge my own rather than hanging out in comfy echo chambers. And I plan to stick around. It’s my country too. I care about it.

But feel free to write me off like the republican base writes anyone and everyone off who doesn’t step fully in line. Hey, kinda like Chris Christie. Lion one day, dead to us the next, all because he chose to work together rather than play electoral politics. Because the electoral politics? Shhh, it’s a dirty secret I know, but it doesn’t actually mean anything, it’s 80 percent lies, 15 percent distortions, and 5 percent truth, from both sides! I know! Wow, right?!

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Chris Christie made a serious mistake with how he handled the situation. Granted, he was under a lot of stress, he probably wasn’t getting enough sleep, he needs federal help to rebuild NJ, and he is an emotional guy. The end result is that he’s likely lost whatever chance he had for a Presidential run, VP pick, cabinet position, etc.

However, he serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of fiscal responsibility, straight talk, and standing up to the opposing team. He’s making changes in a deep blue state. We should support him for re-election because in Dem-utopia Obama gets the help from Christie, they blame him for slow hurricane response, and win the governor’s mansion back in Nov 2013. Christie’s win was important for building momentum into 2010, his reelection could be helpful in 2014. It’s one of the most powerful governorships in the nation – he appoints every statewide office holder – EVERY ONE plus judges and prosecutors. Be mad but be practical. We have a long war ahead. Let’s not toss away a potential soldier because we wouldn’t want him to be general.

Jill1066 on November 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The Coultergeist was not salivable for comment.

SparkPlug on November 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I wonder how her new book is selling.

Night Owl on November 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Mark it down, this pompous windbag, who’s last minute buttkissing of Obama helped seal the fate of the GOP nominee, will be the next GOP nominee.

Crazy? what do you call a party that nominates the inventor of Obamacare to lead its charge against Obamacare.

james23 on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Rubio wasnt on the ticket. You should have learned from the primaries, endorsements dont matter.

Thats disingenuous, she has a big microphone. She pushed for Romney because he could win and he didnt. Herman Cain or Santorum would’ve given us the same electoral map

Flapjackmaka on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

You come so highly recommended. Can you sing daisy?

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Perfectly said. Couldn’t disagree with anything you said in that post.

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Slainte on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Slainte on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

The proof is in the speech.

Though it took him 17 minutes to mention the newly minted nominee by name, he said Mitt Romney would tell Americans “the hard truths” about fixing the economy and creating jobs.

And here we go…

. He used the word “I” 32 times, but mentioned Mitt Romney by name only seven times.

Source.

JPeterman on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

earlgrey133 on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Obama was “present” and full of empty words and promises just like he has been his entire life. He didn’t look presidential, but Chris Christie acted as if he rode in on a white horse and saved NJ.

It tipped the scales and took the wind out of Romney’s sails.

Republicans who didn’t vote said “screw it” after seeing another prominent Republican kissing up to a Dem president who would sooner piss in the wind than do an honest day’s work.

NJ was a photo op and Christie provided the lighting for Obama’s halo.

Jvette on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Congrats AP – your post sounds like something a high school girl would say in a stage hushed voice.

The gun-grabbing morbidly obese statist and his fling with the marxist are a distraction. Nothing more.

CorporatePiggy on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Why in the world would we even consider Christie for 2016 when we much more better options for 2016?

Even before this happened no way would I choose Christie over Rubio or Jindal.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Ghostflames852 on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM

This x 1000!

jazzuscounty on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

A Rino sticks a knife in your back?

Shocking…news at 11:00

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

hahahaha!
nailed it; comments closed

james23 on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Imagine how this could have gone if Christie was the VP nominee, and the Hurricane struck. He would have had to leave the campaign. Go get New Jersey under control. He could have taken Romney along. Then Obama and the VP nominee would have to take pictures together.

How do you think this hypothetical would have played out?

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Christie made a fool of himself, he looked like a little brat sucking up to the teacher, it really was one of the most pathetic events of the campaign. I really don’t see how anyone can look at him as the “tough attack dog” after he turned himself into Obama’s lapdog.

clearbluesky on November 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Looks like I win.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

You win and the America loses. Congratulations.

Jvette on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

+Eleventy.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Scorched earth indeed. Worked for 2010, won’t after 2012. The people are tired of it. They want action, effective governance, and reasonable discussion and debate like adults. Both sides ARE at some degree of fault, but you’re digging that foxhole pretty deep to honestly believe that your response justifies or encapsulates the larger picture in any type of genuinely satisfactory and full way.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

No, they want free stuff. You are giving your people way more credit than they deserve. Obama’s first interaction with the GOP after the elections was “I won”. Anyone who would re-elect that POS failure most assuredly is not interested in effective governance.

Night Owl on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Pardon me if I am repeating; I was up late last night and am too tired to read the full thread…and didn’t see what Christie said in real time because I had no power here in CT for a week…

But after last night…
I wouldn’t call what Christie did an embrace, I’d call it a BJ.

marybel on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

My opinion of Christie hasn’t changed one bit. I never liked the RINO squish to begin with.

bgibbs1000 on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

This is what I’ve been saying. All it takes to make you a RACIST!!!! is to suggest reducing the public’s gifts from the treasury. It doesn’t matter what color you are. Certainly if you have an R in front of your name.

MechanicalBill on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I read this two years ago and it told me everything I needed to know about the Muslim/illegal alien loving and gun grabbing Christie. I’ve never had any use for him. Is he the sole reason Romney lost? Of course not, but it’s a tile in the mosaic that helped get Obama re-elected. In my book, it’s called submarining for your own self interest.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Is it really fair to be calling this fat tub of shit a blimp and lard-ass?

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Now Christie is lying. Will someone please take the shovel out of his hands and give him a bearclaw.

rik on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

By his weight, you can tell he has no self control.

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Pudgy boy, you are dead to me.

Mason on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I would never, ever support the fat Charlie Crist known as Chris Christie in any Republican presidential primary.

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Let them try. It would be extremely stupid of them.

terryannonline on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

This ‘silly bear hug’ that Christie gave the Zero has shipwrecked any future political aspirations he may have had, higher than what he currently is, forever. Stupid move!

elihu on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Boomer_Sooner

I just thought of something, pendejo. Two days before the election that nice, calm grandpa Harry Reid said “I’ll do everything I can to stonewall any of Romney’s agenda.” Cuddle talk eh?

arnold ziffel on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM

More video of Christie with Obama.

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

There’s some funny stuff here tonight.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Minorcan Maven on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I don’t think so. Mr. Christie says that since age 13, he has attended 130 Bruce Springsteen concerts.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Smoothies on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Strange, he didn’t have too much class to get dirty against his fellow Republicans during the primary, cretins aside.

Night Owl on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

bluegill on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

How about Palin, you ok with her?

arnold ziffel on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Christie could have played this a hundred different ways. You don’t become the governor of New Jersey without being able to calculate your every move, even when your state is in the middle of a disaster. For some reason, unknown to me, he wanted to stick it to Romney.

kam582 on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Looks like I win.
Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Someone won an argument on the internets? Unprecedented.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM

JPeterman on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Chris Christie’s speech at the convention was one I looked forward to watching, expecting the straight forward style he is known for and getting a very strange self serving stream of consciousness instead.

Jvette on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM

No qotd?

wolly4321 on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Chris Christie/Charlie Crist 2016

The bi-partisan ticket

JPeterman on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM

No qotd?

wolly4321 on November 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Coming…

Just asked Sandra Fluck…

Electrongod on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Is it really fair to be calling this fat tub of shit a blimp and lard-ass?

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Nope, that’s an insult to blimps and lard-asses everywhere.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

What do you hate to break to me? I never questioned your tenure at HotAir. I simply voiced how thankful I was that we have been blessed with the intellect of a liberal and the conversation skills of an Okie. It’s swell. That is all. Resume your crappy football.

FOr the record – I think you miss the point. There is showing ample appreciation to the Federal government (for doing what exactly, we don’t really know), and there is slobbering all over a political opponent for a few cheap political points of your own (and, presumably, so that he could have phone sex with “The Boss”). Tons’a’fun did the latter.

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You mean like “I won”, that kind reaching b!tch slap?
antipc on November 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The republicans entire strategy, actions, and motivations at that time was to destroy any possibility Barack Obama might have had to pass any form or Health Care Bill at all. They were screaming, “Kill the bill” before there even WAS any bill. Every amendment offered was in the form of a poison pill or political ploy. To pretend that the President responding to that with a message that tries to say, look, we have the majority, you can’t just dictate from the minority. YOU have to work with US. Not the other way around this time. It’s called the MINORITY. THAT was never offered by the republicans and to pretend that somehow republicans were the ones slighted, republicans were the ones who were never given a chance for HONEST contributions, and republicans were the ones who were trying to reach out is absolutely, unabashedly, and unashamedly fake and dishonest.

You can whine and cry about, “I won.” But in order to do so effectively you must first abandon any and all precepts of personal responsibility for your own actions beforehand and essentially just sit there crying that the little kid on the play ground hit you at lunch today, while never mentioning and in fact purposefully overlooking in your memory the fact that you had been bullying, attempting to ostracize, and disrespecting him the whole semester before it. Because you knew that the other kids on the playground might end up liking him better than you if you didn’t first show them how unworthy he was of their acceptance.

And you know the truth of it all better than your little quip pretends that you’ll give credit to.

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

More video of Christie with Obama.

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Thank you portland.

After 24 hours of feeling like a resident of East Berlin in 1961 after the wall was built, knowing there was no escape from the tyranny I was about to endure, I needed a laugh.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Chris Christie: “I wouldn’t call what I did an embrace of Barack Obama”

It depends on what the meaning of embrace is and what the meaning of sex is and and what the meaning of is, is,

VorDaj on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I think the people who stuffed the ballot boxes in the blue cities deserve all the credit. The numbers closely match the results of polls that over-sampled Democrats by 11 points. There’s no f*cking way there was a turnout like that.

The Rogue Tomato on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I’ve long been a Christie fan. And – when I first heard about him meeting with Obama, I said, “Good; a nice show of bi-partisanship during a disaster.”

And then I listened to the actual tape.

Ponnuru is exactly correct. One thing to meet with Obama, be polite and respectful. But Christie just about had an orgasm over their get-together.

A great many factors influenced this election. It’s impossible to point to one event or one person or one decision that led to Romney’s loss. Nevertheless, clearly what Christie did had the potential to harm Romney and help Obama. It was disgustingly over the top – and Christie sure lost me as a fan. Lots others, too, I’m guessing….

pbundy on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Thank you portland.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Oh man. It’s been a bad 24 hours. If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry.

We shall persevere

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Christie has always been this way. It’s good that the mask fell off quickly although I wish it had been a few week later. Don’t get on a Rubio bandwagon either until you’re sure his actions match his words, because IMO he’s going to be an establishment R. Don’t be taken in by a pretty face with a good bio. Principles are what matter. Leadership matters.

Several years ago Hot Air linked to an article by Thomas L. Friedman that discussed the demise of leadership. Are We Home Alone?(My emphasis).

“There is nothing more powerful than inspirational leadership that unleashes principled behavior for a great cause,” said Dov Seidman, the C.E.O. of LRN, which helps companies build ethical cultures, and the author of the book “How.” What makes a company or a government “sustainable,” he added, is not when it adds more coercive rules and regulations to control behaviors. “It is when its employees or citizens are propelled by values and principles to do the right things, no matter how difficult the situation,” said Seidman. “Laws tell you what you can do. Values inspire in you what you should do. It’s a leader’s job to inspire in us those values.”

Leaders inspire by words and by example. Their values and principles have been inculcated within their minds and hearts and they hold fast to them. They may know moments of despair, but they continue on steadfastly.

If any conservative emerges in the next few years who is doing that on the national scene, then that’s the person to start talking about. It won’t be Jeb, it won’t be Rubio. They would have already been doing that if they were ever going to do so. Pray God He raises someone up.

INC on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

But after last night…
I wouldn’t call what Christie did an embrace, I’d call it a BJ.

marybel on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

He was just doing what all fat girls seeking approval do on a first date…cut Chrispy Chreme a break.

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

The Rogue Tomato on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It’s like Hugh Hewitt always says, if it’s not close they can’t cheat. Allen West has already had to file a lawsuit:

The Republican’s lawsuit, filed in court in Palm Beach County, called for paper ballots to be counted and voting machines “impounded.”

A recount of early votes flipped the results from 2,000 in his favor to a win for Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy, West’s campaign manager Tim Edson alleged in a press release the day after the election.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

For an idiot whose side lost last night, you seem to think you are some how now relevant.

Listen a$$face, why dont you do me a favor and leave my country. You spent years demonizing my president and guess what, the real Americans proved your side wrong.

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Democrats had trouble getting their own rank-and-file on-board with Obamacare. We had the ‘Cornhusker kickback’ and Lieberman’s opposition to the public option. It wasn’t Republicans trying to hijack the process and it wasn’t Republicans that had to create or force Democrats to create weird parliamentary tricks like ‘deem it passed.’ They did that because of issues on their own side.

I seem to remember Republicans getting locked out of Stimulus deliberations as well. Democrats didn’t need or want anything from our side early in Obama’s presidency.

Coming to together for the people is a nice sentiment and one that I think many Republicans would be happy to do, but the fact is, we can’t trust our negotiating partners. Everything is a political calculation with them and we end up being patsies and suckers every time we reach out.

Corporal Tunnel on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Resume your crappy football.
CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Oh!! Of all the things you could have said! Below the belt! Sir, you have now crossed the line.

Please don’t ever bash my University of Oklahoma Sooners ever again. I beg of you. It’s a right we reserve only for ourselves after choking on any given big game. Please understand. ;)

Tradition. History. Success. And more college football wins since WWII than virtually any other school in the nation also originate from our humble stadium. Never forget that. ;)

We will win an 8th before long. Not only have we won 7 national championships, we’ve earned the opportunity to LOSE more of them than most University have ever gotten to see in their entire existence.

That is all. :)

Boomer_Sooner on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Did someone cancel the TrollCott?

CycloneCDB on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

You have to be in my union. Are you black in the UAW? What local?

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I warned people two years ago that we were creating a Frankenstein monster that would someday turn on us. I had no idea it would be him turning on a Romney campaign. Even that surprised me.

Anyway, Frankenstein cried too after he killed the little girl.

If you all want to pick up torches, I will be right there with ya.

KMav on November 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Blubber.

Grossly over weight ppl sho do like to help Moochelle’s hubby out during an election…Candy & Christy. Give ‘em both another sandwich.

purgatory on November 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Oh I forgot. You are a godless reprobate pagan who is destined for hell unless you repent of your sins. That means you will have BHO as your torturer in chief for at least 5 election cycles.

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM

tom daschle concerned on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

HotAirLib on November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Be careful what you wish for, if we all leave your bills are going to go unpaid.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I tolerated Christie because he was a tough fiscal conservative. Then Hurricane Sandy hit and he turned into a blubbering butterball. I’ve been through three major earthquakes, a couple of hurricanes and a flood, and never dissolved in public, nor abandoned my principles like that. Neither did I accidentally endorse Obama for President. I have no further use for Christie. He’s a “big man” (double entendre intended) when he’s in an environment where he thinks he’s in charge, but outside of that he’a a sentimental sissy with a glass jaw.

HTL on November 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM