Boehner: I’m not open to tax hikes, but I am open to new revenue

posted at 5:21 pm on November 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The media’s hyperventilating over this as an early sign that the House GOP has been chastised by last night’s presidential/Senate whupping. (WaPo.com’s front-page headline: “A quick pivot after election.”) But … isn’t this always what Boehner says when asked about a grand bargain?

Republicans are “willing to accept new revenue” to tame the soaring national debt and avert an ugly battle over the approaching “fiscal cliff,” House Speaker John A. Boehner said Wednesday in a speech that offered a potential path to compromise in year-end budget negotiations…

In exchange, however, Boehner said Democrats must not “continue to duck the matter of entitlements,” referring to the rising cost of Social Security and federal health programs, which he called “the root of the problem.”

Here’s what he said in April 2011, three months after becoming Speaker:

If considering revenue increases leads to a big 2012 budget deal for Republicans then so be it, Speaker John Boehner told me.

“I’ll put everything on the table. I think Washington has a spending problem. I don’t think it has a revenue problem. I’m not interested in raising taxes on the American people. But if it takes leaving it on the table to have the conversation, I’ll have the conversation,” he told me.

Here he is in November 2011:

“There’s room for revenue but there clearly is a limit to the revenues that may be available” to help reach the congressionally mandated target of cutting government deficits by at least $1.2 trillion, Boehner, an Ohio Republican, told reporters yesterday in Washington…

“Without real reform on the entitlement side, I don’t know how you put any revenue on the table,” Boehner said. The speaker said he “made this clear” to President Barack Obama during failed negotiations on deficit-reduction bargain in July.

Annnnnd here he is in June of this year, in the course of comparing raising new revenue to giving a drug addict another fix:

The Speaker replied: “Well, in negotiations with the president, I had additional revenues on the table. Revenues out of economic growth. Revenues out of a more efficient tax system. Revenues out of what I’ll call opportunity costs from having certainty about what the tax code looks like.”

But Boehner appeared to shut the door on raising taxes.

He famously agreed to $800 billion in new revenue as part of a deficit deal with The One last year before O allegedly demanded more, causing the deal to collapse. So why rehash all of this today? Well, investors wet themselves this afternoon over the fact that two more years of divided government means a compromise on the “fiscal cliff” will be difficult. Now that O’s reelected, he’ll spend the next month pointing to polls on the Bush tax cuts and accusing the House GOP of ignoring the “mandate” he got on tax hikes last night. (Biden is already pushing this point specifically; Boehner, in his own speech last night, pushed back hard on it.) Today’s comments are Boehner’s way of preempting Obama and signaling to the public that he’s not opposed to all deals involving more tax revenue, just ones that involve rate hikes. His problem is that Obama “wins” a stalemate here because inaction means the current rates will lapse automatically. Granted, the higher tax rates and automatic spending cuts from sequestration would probably push the economy back into recession, but why would a lame duck like O care about that? Didn’t he just win an election by convincing the country that Mitt Romney is worse than he is? If he can convince them that Republicans caused the next recession by sticking up for the rich, he just might be able to parlay it into Democratic House gains in 2014. Elections have consequences, none more so than last night’s.

Here’s Boehner talking to CNN a few days ago about the cliff. He told them he expects they’ll reach a short-term deal to buy time for work on a grander grand bargain, hopefully involving tax code reform.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The future of conservatives under Obama.
It ain’t pretty:

MichaelGabriel on November 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Raise Taxes Now

Obama owns it. Make everyone feel it.

faraway on November 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Yep. Rip the bandage off. None of this ‘peeling’.

wear it proud…Rs Lost seats in the Senate. Barry/Axe/Harry i’m sure are all ROFL…laughing so hard it hurts

r keller on November 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Don’t gimme that. Mia Love lost in UTAH for Christ’s sake!

Lanceman on November 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Dear God. These men have no principles.

trish333 on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I say call their bluff too. Let the tax rates expire. Let the process be ugly. Let the Democrats and Obama own this mess.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Right on.

Across-the-board tax increases. Let everyone see that Obama screaming that Bush only cut taxes on “the rich” was an outright lie.

Sequester as planned. Let everyone see that Obama wants to strip the military so he can hand out fat welfare checks to drunks.

This is exactly what conservatives want. We got our spending cuts. The taxes will hurt us, but being producers, we can pass on the hurt to the Obama base — which is overwhelmingly consumer and has to pay what we demand or go without.

Having never run anything of economic value, liberals cannot comprehend that increasing expenses of businesses only increases the price you pay for their goods at the register. And price inflation hurts most those who vote for Obama the most.

I’d add another wrinkle. Tax entitlements. Tax food stamps. Tax welfare benefits. We already tax Social Security and unemployment; everything else should be considered as income.

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Many Republicans don’t understand the lessons of history.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

You actually say this after yesterday’s election?

ROFL

Then hike up those taxes, the more the better, and watch the economy prosper as never before.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I know that many on the right feel victimized by taxes, but current rates are at historic lows and will never lead to a balanced budget. Every objective study of the deficit challenge has reached this conclusion, including Simpson Bowles.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Not looking forward to Thanksgiving. As the only conservative at the table, it’ll be uncomfortable at best.

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Don’t be. Stand strong and smile. Smile and say that everything is going according to plan. Tell them that you want the tax cuts to expire. Seriously, start playing their game. :)

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m going to repeat my original post.

Boehner was talking closing loopholes, lowering rates, expanding base.

Exactly what R.R proposed this year.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

AKA: Smoke and Mirrors.

I for one will be glad to see the cry-baby GTFO.

RealMc on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

It’s going to be awful. They’re they only people in their entire neighborhood to have Obama signs in their yard.

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

My friend, I am in the exact same boat. I look forward to Thanksgiving. If one of my Lefty family members makes the mistake of bringing up Obama I will embarrass them in front of their kids. These people don’t even know the difference between deficit and debt. I might even bring some graphs and a laser pointer. Maybe a white board. Heh.

visions on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Boehner thinks he has a choice.

Nice pretense. R’s in house will fold like lawn chairs- lest be branded “too extreme” by our vaunted dishonest cultural media.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Just tax the unions… it’s a win-win.

malclave on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I for one will be glad to see the cry-baby GTFO.

RealMc on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m with ya on that one!!!

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Yes, except for nearly every high growth industry in the country and the digital and knowledge economies. Other than that, no experience running anything. Not compared to Joe the Plumber.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

We will never have a balanced budget with this level of spending no matter how high you raise taxes.

The problem, again, is not taxes … it’s spending.

Math is your friend.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Good ole take-it-up-the-tailpipe Johnny is just getting ready to roll over like a good dog . He actually represents the GOP well – he cries like a little girl and he does not have the stones to ever attack O’Failure on any issue .

DeweyWins on November 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I’m going to repeat my original post.

Boehner was talking closing loopholes, lowering rates, expanding base.

Exactly what R.R proposed this year.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

My turn,

The Spelunker of the House has been saying the same sheeeeit for 2 years while agreeing to CR’s and doing absolutely nothing about spending. $5 Trillion later, the obamanation ir re-elected…

Gohawgs on November 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m doing a drive-by Thanksgiving. My parents are conservative but too many of the family are not. I can’t be civil so I’m going to make an apperance (only because it would be noted if I didn’t) and then leave.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Unfortunately, I don’t have that luxury. Well, I guess I could choose to do that, but it would be worse for me if I did. My family is very tightly knit and very invasive.

Sometimes, it’s best just to appease them. (I know, I know.)

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Here’s a strategy for the GOP-

Whenever the rat-eared pretender and his party raise taxes, scream bloody murder. And not just the blatant ways but also the stuff hidden in legislation. The bastard needs to raise funds to keep his greedy and stupid supporters happy. How’s he going to do that without additional “revenue?”

Bleed the bastard dry by paying attention!!!

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

ahem, is that a faint echo I hear?

…Elections have consequences…

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Hilarious incident at work: strident Obamunist bitching about taxes being too high. Shocked when I laughed. What is it they don’t see? When I said wait til next year he had no idea what I meant, none.

clnurnberg on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Wow. Just had a post spirited away for a word that was Disney-material compared to some of the words I saw used by the trolls last night. I’m seriously rethinking my allegiance to this site.

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

You’re a fool if you think their goal is to balance the budget. Their goal is to seize power, and once that’s done they’ll need a strong father figure to turn off the spigot. That’s why the left always goes totalitarian. It takes a strong father figure to stop the greedy children from taking every last drop of revenue. Their natural tendency to worship the state and idolize a leader just makes that transition so much easier.

DFCtomm on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Every.
Single.
Bleeping.
Time.

Leave NO opening for Biden/Clinton 2016.

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Sometimes, it’s best just to appease them. (I know, I know.)

Washington Nearsider on November 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I do know. Many the family function I’ve been to where I’ve said very little due the fact I was biting my tongue.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

what word?

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Oh, so you mean all these businesses that you claim are cheating the American public, outsourcing jobs left and right, and destroying the middle class are run by liberals?

Hilarious.

One has to remember that leftists like bayam are pretty much incoherent when it comes to economics until you recognize that every one of their arguments is rationalizing the use of government power to steal from those who produce and give it to those like bayam who don’t.

This is why Republicans actually shooting the hostages and pushing the Obama tax increases, plus sequestration, plus new taxes on entitlement benefits and taxes on Hollywood, scares the living hell out of them.

Parasites adapt to the weaknesses of a host. Previously, conservatives’ unwillingness to punish productivity by increasing taxes was a weakness they could exploit. But now that conservatives recognize that the only way to remove the parasites like bayam is to poison the host temporarily, we’re more than willing.

So go ahead, bayam. Eat your tax hikes. Eat your sequestration. And watch as those of us in the business world massively hike prices to cover the expenses you’re layering on us.

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

So the fossil fuel industry is run by liberals?

rob verdi on November 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

what word?

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

or, how about… “rhymes with?”

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The conclusion to Increase taxation as need to offset out of control spending – Not as a revenue removing, stimulus from and for the private sector.

Jobs aren’t important to the mandating freeloaders- so they won’t care about higher taxes and any adverse effect they may have.
Si ?

Crank it up – but don’t pretend Ocommie couldn’t have ended Bush Tax cuts earlier or increased taxes in 2009/2010 majority years. To do so would be …phony.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

They will probably pass some kind of “can kick” in the next 6 weeks, to give themselves time for a more comprehensive plan next year. The pols will have a 10-month window between January – November 2013 to work out a deficit reduction deal. Look for tax increases and spending cuts. After that, the 2014 election cycle begins and a deal will not be possible. The “can kick” may trigger another downgrade of US debt, as warned by Moody’s. More market turbulence ahead…

TouchdownBuddha on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Boehner is still looking in the mirror crying “They like me, they really like me”, and Mitch McConnell is half asleep most of the time. Where has Congress been? Obama should have been destroyed by them during this campaign with Fast & Furious and Benghazi alone, but other than a few hearings that did nothing but check the box, we haven’t heard a peep from them. The only they’ve been concerned with is silencing and getting rid of the TEA Party reps that were elected two years ago. There is no conservative movement because neither one of the two political parties represents them.

lea on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Did he burst into tears again?

mojo on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

what word?

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You rascal, you! I almost wrote it again!

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

or, how about… “rhymes with?”

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Rhymes with “ditches”.

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You rascal, you! I almost wrote it again!

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

lol … I was thinking you’d misspell it use a hyphen or something.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

So raise them up, the higher the better. While you’re at it raise the minimum wage to $30/hr because that will put more spending money in the consumer pocket.

Then chew on this: You could take 100% of what every American who earns over $100k per year and keep the federal government going for….6 months. That’s right, 6 whole months.

I’m actually in a better mood today because I know I’m going to enjoy watching Bark try to keep all the utopian promises he made, and watching people like you try to explain it all away.

I can weather a fair amount of fiscal storming, I’ll just keep my head down and lay low on the spending front, assist my friends as necessary. But you Bark voters….you’re about to get a face full of reality. Good luck.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

If and that,s a big if Boehner means no direct tax on the so called rich must pay more increase and real and i mean real spending cut along with real tax reform cutting some loop holes real entitlement reform and making everyone pay some income taxes .Yes i could go along with that.

logman1 on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Rusty scissors?

JPeterman on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

If DemonRats want to raise taxes,then the GOP should step aside,
and get out of there way,

and let Team LibTards,take the heat!!!!!!!

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

And conservatives are open to dumping the “Town Cry Baby” as Speaker.

Lose this dirtbag now!

Jayrae on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Boehner: I’m not open to tax hikes, but I am open to new revenue

Well that’s a relief. I heard a bunch of wingnuts claiming he’d waffle.

Wait. What?

Lost in Jersey on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Rhymes with “ditches”.

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

“Mittches”?…As Beyonce would say

Gohawgs on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Vagyna has become a dirty post word around here.

Haven’t typed “mulva” as well.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

You rascal, you! I almost wrote it again!

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

The only known banned words I know are about a certain furry friend of Han Solo. Both the proper C name and the species W name have been banned. Even though Mooch is allowed to describe the classless whore as our current First Lady.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM

The gop leadership is worse than Obama.

They sucketh! They don’t have the STOMACH TO WIN!!!!

They are happy just to play golf with the destroyer of our nation.

BOEHNER RESIGN NOW!!!! And take all your buddies with you!!

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Lets Review and ReVisit:

Same Now,Same then!
===================

Boehners Tweet
**************

It’s become sadly evident to me that the White House and Senate Democrats are just not serious yet about enacting real spending cuts
April 5 2011
**************

So,back in April,Team GOP knew the game-playing,and dishonset
tactics by the Hopey Regime,and yet,now its September,and the
gameing,er,screwing over,continues!!!!!!!

canopfor on September 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I love you all. I really do – haha.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You might want to talk to Apple, they only paid 2% taxes on their overseas profits last year, and GE? Well they uh….they didn’t pay any taxes. Huh.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Give ‘em everything they want. Let ‘em own their miserable failures. The idots will never learn until they have to experience first hand a depression and a failed economy. Stock up on guns and ammo. You’ll need it when the riots start. Once the takers find out the givers can’t and won’t give any more, it will all come crashing down.

they lie on November 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Here is a partial list:

-End of temporary payroll tax cuts (which will mean a 2% tax increase for workers)

-End of certain tax breaks for businesses

-Shifts in the alternative minimum tax

-Beginning of taxes related to President Obama’s health care law

-Beginning of spending cuts, agreed upon as a part of the debt ceiling deal of 2011

Don’t forget the Bush tax cuts end in 2013 as well. The GOP doesn’t really have to do anything. They only need to allow it to happen.

DFCtomm on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM

That’s gotta make any Star Wars references a little awkward.

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Doesn’t matter. All the low info voters will see is the president touting a tax hike on “just the rich” and how it will bring in a bagillion dollars and they’ll applaud and listen to the media fawn over it. When it actually brings in a fraction of what he claimed it would, and actually raises taxes on those he said it wouldn’t, no one will say a word (especially the media) and the low info voters will vote for Obama via text on their Obama phones.

nextgen_repub on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Most people voted yesterday for the country to crash and burn. They’re just too stupid to know it.

So let’s just get it over with and let Obama own it. I’m normally in favor of compromise for the good of the country, but not after last night. I want Republicans to give Obama NOTHING.

Let the most divisive and partisan POTUS ever reap what he has sown.

Meredith on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Burn it down, it’s going to fall anyway

MoreLiberty on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

including Simpson Bowles.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the plan required 14 of the 18 members to approve its endorsement. It got 11.

socalcon on November 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Same old same old.

I say tax everyone at 100% and get it over with.

We know that the gop is already caving!! We’ve seen this before!

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Know what? Frack this. Time to impose a 75% tax on anyone with earnings of over $300K per year. Come on democrats! You have your mandate! Americans WANT tax hikes on the evil rich! Companies too. Tax on all companies to the tune of 75%.

That’s the way to get a Republican elected.

john1schn on November 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

If DemonRats want to raise taxes,then the GOP should step aside,
and get out of there way,

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Oh! I disagree (slightly). Everybody is jabbering that we need to do something about the impending crisis due to the expiration of the Bush era tax cuts, the start of Obamacare tax increases, and the fiscal cliff and sequestration.

Just let the GOP do nothing about any of it. The rat-eared wonder is the leader- make the bastard and his allies propose a solution.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

As I have said on this site and many others, and in conversations over the last 4 years….”The repubics are imminently capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory”. And they have proven yet again. The leadership in the Republican Party needs to be cleaned out like yesterday’s trash. Boehner and McConnell need to go first.

ultracon on November 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

That’s what I’m talking about… identical to the predictions and whining when Clinton was elected. When your version of reality doesn’t align with Wall Street, it may be time to reassess. Moody’s and other analysts are predicting 12 mil new jobs over the next 5 years and nothing remotely close to what you’re portending.

The housing market has bottomed and housing starts are up sharply. It’s true that stagnant European economies will weigh on US GDP, yet US growth remains stronger than that of Europe and the employment outlook is improving. Things are improving, not the other way around.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

and why is it a singular focus on Income taxes with you “rationalists”? Joe Citizen has to pay a plethora jeffe of taxes…. why a singular vacuous argument on Income solely as tax argument…

Haven’t your real estate taxes gone up ?
Sales /Excise taxes gone up?
Stay in a hotel- rent a car….
Its endless taxation… but the redistribution of it does win elections.

The liberal slight of hand bull shiite smoke and mirrors TAX game has been exposed. Averaging ALL the taxes facing Americans, including the HIGHEST (passed along to consumer) corporate taxes- your “Historic lows” assertion gives no tingles.

You wouldn’t happen to have high cheekbones, would you ?

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Vagyna has become a dirty post word around here.

Haven’t typed “mulva” as well.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I was gonna make a football kicker reference here, but I’m on shaky ground as it is.

squint on November 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Might as well get this decline moving. Class warfare? Screw it. There’s more of us than there are of them.

Of course, when they start moving jobs overseas at a quicker pace, and we all live like f*cking Cambodia, maybe somebody will remind the idiot nation that the answer was in front of us all along, but we chose Jugears instead.

john1schn on November 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Everyone, seriously send an email to your Congressman and Senator. Also, send an email to Boehner.

We may dislike Boehner, but we need Boehner in there. Why? We need to strategize. If the media thinks that Boehner is a “reasonable” Congress member, then let him be at the helm… for now.

This is about the long-term approach, while working towards the 2014/2016 goal.

Write an eloquent email to them, nothing mean. Don’t come off crazy. Explain that you want the tax cuts to expire, not based on principle but based on the idea that you want Democrats to stand for these policies. Explain that you want as few as possible Republicans to vote for them and make sure these politicians are located in NY/CA. Or Texas. :)

This is about the long-term gain folks. It’s ok to be pissed now. Be pissed for today. Take care of yourself, your neighbors and enjoy the holidays as best as you can. If we explode now, bigger riffs will happen.

Oh and put Palin in charge of the Senate Committee. Or at least, give her a cot to sleep on at the Capitol.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Happy Nomad:

Were on the same page,and I guess it might take a meltdown,
to open some eyes!:)

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Meredith on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

No. Most people voted for free stuff. But yes they were just too stupid to know what that meant.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

What an insanely stupid remark. Federal taxes are lower, but the idiots in my city are pushing for higher taxes. My state doesn’t raise taxes; when they want more money, the property value of my home magically increases.

Make no mistake; taxes are going up, and they will go up. And the people that suddenly can’t buy anything won’t and you minimum wagers will be out of a job.

john1schn on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

The GOP will betray you

True_King on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

… But you Bark voters….you’re about to get a face full of reality. Good luck.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Ya know, I have been feeling strangely serene and almost giddy too.

Clarity is the great gift we received last night.

Bruno Strozek on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

The GOP will betray you

True_King on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Turn off comments on this post. It’s done.

P.S. Good to see you’re still around.

DFCtomm on November 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Were on the same page,and I guess it might take a meltdown,
to open some eyes!:)

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I’m rooting for a meltdown! When that Obamaphone account is disabled or if the bank account doesn’t get those free dollars- maybe some of the mooches will figure out that they should find a job.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

nextgen_repub on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Low info voters will be hurt in their pocket books. Their hours will be decreased, no bonuses and costs on goods will go up.

Plus, the GOP will need to be more strategic. They need an intern staff that only creates large graphs, in high doses, to give to every member of Congress so that whenever they are in front of CNN/MSNBC/NBC/even Fox, they tout the same message. I’m being absolutely serious about this.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I’m not open to tax hikes, but I am open to new revenue

Tax hike alternative: fee, charge, contribution, donation, offering.

Hey, I got an idea…lets legislate a “redistribution participation fee” added to income taxes for those people who earn more than their fair share as a small price to pay for the privilege of enjoying life here in the USSA.

hawkeye54 on November 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Here is the problem with letting the Taxes going sky high and letting Obama “OWN” a collapse……

The MEDIA will blame the gop no matter what!

We must take over the MEDIA or we will CONTINUE TO FAIL.

TEATERNAMI!!!

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

As long as the Obamabots own it, I don’t care. I’ve made provisions, and I live in Texas. As long as we have enough people to guard our Northern Borders and our Southern Borders, we’ll be OK.

john1schn on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

We lost this election in August of 2011 when the republican leadership passed this horrendous debt limit deal. Would it have hurt us worse to shut the government down and stick with principles?

No, it would not have.

jukin3 on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Uh huh. And four years ago, you and the Unicorn Prince were insisting that if we handed over hundreds of billions of dollars to blow on your cronies that unemployment would be 5% and GDP would be growing at 4%.

In business, you have to perform. In Obama Party land, where you reside, black skin substitutes for competence.

northdallasthirty on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

OT-

Patty Murray. The whore who in the days after the 9/11/01 atrocities was lauding Osama Bin Ladin and the Taliban currently on FNC lecturing us all about the future.

Corthless Wunt.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

“Mittches”?…As Beyonce would say

Gohawgs on November 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

What a class act she is, right? Definitely the sort you’d want to invite to a lavish party at the WH…on our dime. /

The Obama extravaganza two years ago for Mexican President Felipe Calderon, which included a performance by pop star Beyonce, cost $969,793, or more than $4,700 per attendee, the documents show.

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The MEDIA will blame the gop no matter what!

We must take over the MEDIA or we will CONTINUE TO FAIL.

TEATERNAMI!!!

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

That’s why it’s important for the GOP to simply abstain whenever possible. Any mention by the media will make it completely clear that it’s a protest vote by the GOP. They won but now they must lead.

DFCtomm on November 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Note to Allahpundit:

I rode you hard for being so pessimistic about Mitt’s chances in the general election. I want to take a moment to say that I am sorry for doubting you. I was wrong.

Now on to new business:

Should we start a friendly wagering pool on how many days it will be for the Big Blue State Omnibus Bailout Bill to become law? I figure CA and IL are in for some sue-weet payolla as reward for their profligate ways courtesy of fly over nation.

MJBrutus on November 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Moody’s and other analysts are predicting 12 mil new jobs over the next 5 years

Did that take into account the sure to be additional burdens added to companies in the form of new taxes and regulations?

Even if so after about 7.5M of those jobs are taken due to population growth, that leaves about 4.5M over 5 years, or about 75k jobs a month for those currently unemployed. Leaving us 5 years from now with ~8M still unemployed not including those who will probably rejoin after not looking for a job the last 4 years. So potentially after 8 years of Obama we will still have about 10M unemployed?!?

Am I missing something?

nextgen_repub on November 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

PappyD…

After months of the same numbers, over and over, the media cannot stop the story. That’s the point.

We need to let Boehner, the tan moderate, at the helm look all reasonable while we, as Conservatives, get involved locally.

It’s called the trifecta: Tea Party’s continued influence, appearing reasonable in front of the nation while it burns (essentially) and Democrats not being able to stop the burn.

Let it happen. Let it be so.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Why do people assume the GOP is on their side?

Is there much evidence for that belief?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Darden Restaurants, based here in Whorelando, already has a plan to deal with obamacare – they’re gonna cut full-time workers’ hours and hire more part-timers.

Lanceman on November 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I love canopfor……whoever he/she is.

Keep typing. :-)

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You’re next, Boner.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I’m afraid that the republican party is going to split in two. IF we can’t win by changing the republican party from inside, and we didn’t accomplish anything in leadership roles, why bother with them.

Why did McCain get more overall votes than Romney? Palin energized the base and was not invited to be any part of the party this year after leading 2010. The republican establishment spit in the Tea Party’s face.

225 years is on the long side for a democracy in our world. Longest yet.

jukin3 on November 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Ya know, I have been feeling strangely serene and almost giddy too.

Clarity is the great gift we received last night.

Bruno Strozek on November 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Yes, in many things.

I’ve been going back to the Mencken quote being used around here today and every time I say it I laugh, because the proverbial shiite is about to hit the fan and I will enjoy an evil pleasure of not feeling a bit of sympathy for those who elected the Dog Eating Fraud.

They wanted this, they asked for it, and now they get it.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

In addition I say shut down a few agencies down in the process, we have no money to pay for EPA, Dept of Education, DOT, etc. All of them are duplicated on state level, why spend the money on waste?

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

225 years is on the long side for a democracy in our world. Longest yet.

jukin3 on November 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Here. Want a conspiracy theory? Try this one.

Lanceman on November 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I hope you’re right…they deserve it. I told my brother (sophomore in college) to tell all his buddies who voted for Obama that I hope they enjoyed living at home the first 18 years of their lives, cause that’s where they’ll be in 2 years.

nextgen_repub on November 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Burn it down, it’s going to fall anyway

MoreLiberty on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Free Matches! Get Your Free Matches Here!

OTTO on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

They wanted this, they asked for it, and now they get it.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I say we sit back and watch them implode upon themselves. Those 535 people who purport to control 3M of us? Good luck with that.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Lanceman on November 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Oh my. And the flood gates have opened. I’m betting unemployment in Summer ’13 exceeds 10%.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

******************** VIDEO *******************************

**** Brace For Impact(sarc) *****

Boehner to Obama: ‘We’re ready to be led’
*****************************************

House Speaker John Boehner reacts to the re-election of President Barack Obama, while pushing for a “balanced approach” to solving America’s debt issues.

NBC News | Aired on November 07, 2012

VIDEO(11:54)

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Your lips to God’s ears…

OmahaConservative on November 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM

salem on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

No no. 6.3% and green shoots all around.

Lanceman on November 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM

John Boehner is big fat Beyonce.

And McConnell and his team too.

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

No, you have to keep the EPA, Dept. of Ed. funded and propose them at the state level. We are dealing with a corrupt media.

Therefore, for now, Federal agencies need to stay federal agencies… for now. What needs to happen is that each of the agencies has an across the board budget cut, applicable to ALL agencies. Keep it fair.

I am saying that we need to look like we’re playing nice, by not playing at all or at the bare minimum. This is a whole new level of cunning.

Federal agencies need to be pushed for being controlled at the state level. But they need to stay active now. We don’t need to give the media any more burn to rub against us right now.

I want the Democrats to lose. And lose big. I want the next election to be my Ronald Reagan moment.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM