Boehner: I’m not open to tax hikes, but I am open to new revenue

posted at 5:21 pm on November 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The media’s hyperventilating over this as an early sign that the House GOP has been chastised by last night’s presidential/Senate whupping. (WaPo.com’s front-page headline: “A quick pivot after election.”) But … isn’t this always what Boehner says when asked about a grand bargain?

Republicans are “willing to accept new revenue” to tame the soaring national debt and avert an ugly battle over the approaching “fiscal cliff,” House Speaker John A. Boehner said Wednesday in a speech that offered a potential path to compromise in year-end budget negotiations…

In exchange, however, Boehner said Democrats must not “continue to duck the matter of entitlements,” referring to the rising cost of Social Security and federal health programs, which he called “the root of the problem.”

Here’s what he said in April 2011, three months after becoming Speaker:

If considering revenue increases leads to a big 2012 budget deal for Republicans then so be it, Speaker John Boehner told me.

“I’ll put everything on the table. I think Washington has a spending problem. I don’t think it has a revenue problem. I’m not interested in raising taxes on the American people. But if it takes leaving it on the table to have the conversation, I’ll have the conversation,” he told me.

Here he is in November 2011:

“There’s room for revenue but there clearly is a limit to the revenues that may be available” to help reach the congressionally mandated target of cutting government deficits by at least $1.2 trillion, Boehner, an Ohio Republican, told reporters yesterday in Washington…

“Without real reform on the entitlement side, I don’t know how you put any revenue on the table,” Boehner said. The speaker said he “made this clear” to President Barack Obama during failed negotiations on deficit-reduction bargain in July.

Annnnnd here he is in June of this year, in the course of comparing raising new revenue to giving a drug addict another fix:

The Speaker replied: “Well, in negotiations with the president, I had additional revenues on the table. Revenues out of economic growth. Revenues out of a more efficient tax system. Revenues out of what I’ll call opportunity costs from having certainty about what the tax code looks like.”

But Boehner appeared to shut the door on raising taxes.

He famously agreed to $800 billion in new revenue as part of a deficit deal with The One last year before O allegedly demanded more, causing the deal to collapse. So why rehash all of this today? Well, investors wet themselves this afternoon over the fact that two more years of divided government means a compromise on the “fiscal cliff” will be difficult. Now that O’s reelected, he’ll spend the next month pointing to polls on the Bush tax cuts and accusing the House GOP of ignoring the “mandate” he got on tax hikes last night. (Biden is already pushing this point specifically; Boehner, in his own speech last night, pushed back hard on it.) Today’s comments are Boehner’s way of preempting Obama and signaling to the public that he’s not opposed to all deals involving more tax revenue, just ones that involve rate hikes. His problem is that Obama “wins” a stalemate here because inaction means the current rates will lapse automatically. Granted, the higher tax rates and automatic spending cuts from sequestration would probably push the economy back into recession, but why would a lame duck like O care about that? Didn’t he just win an election by convincing the country that Mitt Romney is worse than he is? If he can convince them that Republicans caused the next recession by sticking up for the rich, he just might be able to parlay it into Democratic House gains in 2014. Elections have consequences, none more so than last night’s.

Here’s Boehner talking to CNN a few days ago about the cliff. He told them he expects they’ll reach a short-term deal to buy time for work on a grander grand bargain, hopefully involving tax code reform.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I know that many on the right feel victimized by taxes, but current rates are at historic lows and will never lead to a balanced budget. Every objective study of the deficit challenge has reached this conclusion, including Simpson Bowles.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Federal income taxes only raise about 1.1 trillion annually. Balance the budget based on current spending AND the current projected deficit of 19.3 trillion for 2013.

Use this formula : NI= W+R+i+WR

Solve using current money supply.

DevilsPrinciple on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Imagine Boehner and the senate minority leader appearing before the nation every time another fiscal disaster occurs and explaining to America:

“You know, our hands are tied. The president bypassed us with executive orders and Harry Reid changed senate rules to bar our participation. We can’t help you, you need to contact the president’s office. These are the people you voted for, sorry.”

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

here’s why we need to tax the s*** out of the rich

rich people LUV barry. so pay for it guys…show us your money. bit time

r keller on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

A song for “Congress” from The Tea Party

You’re gonna lose

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I love canopfor……whoever he/she is.

Keep typing. :-)

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

PappyD61:

And Keep shinning the Light of Truth,I’m 53,and a guy,
thanks Pappy,and hey,I found a new toy,the (
thingy,haha!:)

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

You actually say this after yesterday’s election?

ROFL

Then hike up those taxes, the more the better, and watch the economy prosper as never before.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Recycled: We failed you.
We were trying to save you from yourself. You’re like a little pig trying to get into a bucket full of rat poison. We did everything we could to stop you from getting your snout into that bucket.

We owe you an apology in fact. Because we couldn’t stop you from making the mistake, you’re going to be punished for your ignorance. I truly am sorry.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

The liberal slight of hand bull shiite smoke and mirrors TAX game has been exposed. Averaging ALL the taxes facing Americans, including the HIGHEST (passed along to consumer) corporate taxes- your “Historic lows” assertion gives no tingles.

You wouldn’t happen to have high cheekbones, would you ?

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You may want to refer to these studies, which as you point out, may not include all local taxes. As for corporate tax rates, those have so many loopholes that for many multi-nationals, the corporate tax is non-existent.

bayam on November 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Crap,that the (strong)thingy above the typing box thingy,ugh!

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Boehner to Obama: ‘We’re ready to be led’
*****************************************

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Profiles in courage.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Quickly followed by Hussein saying that Republicans don’t want to co-operate and, thus, ObamaPhones will be doled out at a slower rate.

Do you really think that A) Boehner will even consider anything that makes sense and B) that liberals somehow care who is responsible when their free stuff is limited?

The only regularly scheduled appearances Boehner did in the past few years were at his sun tanning salon. Why change now?

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Meredith on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

No. We are going to have an economic crash. It’s baked in already. Makes me happy Mitt lost. He would have tried to avoid it and would have been blamed when it happened anyway. I say the house gives them everything they want on taxes and economic stuff. Everything. Let Bush tax cuts expire for sure. Then that 47% that hasn’t paid taxes for 12 yrs will have to start. Raise the top rate to 75%! Raise capital gains to 40%! More stimulus? Sure! Then sit back and say we succumb to the superior wisdom of the 51% and the economic genius of Obama! Let prosperity commence! They own it. It’s over and we pick up the pieces.

JAM on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

RT @mattklewis GOP strategist Chuck Warren emails: “To be frank, we’re a Mad Men party in a Modern Family world.”

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

The GOP is done, we need a new party the “conservative party.” I’m sick of the teaparty being blamed for everything, it wasn’t their crazya$$ party members that made outrageous statement. I will join in on removing the GOP incumbents, apparently the democratic party is allow, and acceptable to be antiAmerican, insane.

Zcat on November 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Boehner to Obama: ‘We’re ready to be led’
*****************************************

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Profiles in courage.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

sharrukin:Still listening to it,******* NUTS *******!:)

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Meredith on November 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

JAM on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

That’s when the aliens will invade, naturally.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I hope you’re right…they deserve it. I told my brother (sophomore in college) to tell all his buddies who voted for Obama that I hope they enjoyed living at home the first 18 years of their lives, cause that’s where they’ll be in 2 years.

nextgen_repub on November 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Haha – I’m younger and in my third round of schooling. My final round. I’m in a blessed situation with blessed parents who were a mix of frugal and financially savvy. They paid the first round of my out-of-state Undergrad, I paid for my second round of Grad. school and I HAD to take out loans for the third round of school. However, I only took out loans knowing that I still had an outside means (I won’t say what) to eventually pay back the loans, as I sincerely loathe the idea of paying back loans unless it were on a house.

I’ve worked all throughout schooling at various levels and my background is corporate (marketing) and politics-driven. The possibilities are limitless. I am confident with my resume as it stands today. I know that it will be hard to get any job, but as I said I feel blessed to be in the circumstance that I am in.

I am not typical for my generation. There is a group of us that are driven, but then there’s the group that assumes things should be given to them. I don’t have an IPhone or a Mac (I’ll probably be getting those soon though as my phone went kaputt recently & the internet on my computer doesn’t work on campus very well). I had refused to get those kind of things because I didn’t think they were needed or that I was worthy enough for them.

I want my generation to get hit and hit hard. Sounds brutal, but as the phrase goes, “No pain, no gain.”

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Exactly. On repeat. Like the Energizer Bunny.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

JAM on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I am sorry, but this is very misguided. Let Bush tax cuts expire? I’ll go for that. Beyond that, absolutely no new taxes. I don’t see why I have to pay higher taxes for some illegal to live here for free or even legals living for free on government dole.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Tea Party 1
Obama 1

You only make us stronger

Oh and eff you Boner.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m open to a new speaker. Boehner will not get the job done.

natasha333 on November 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Apparently, we’re all liberals now. Okay then Boehner, how about this….you go ahead and vote for new ‘revenue’ and I’ll go ahead and vote for the Dems. Might as well let it go up in flames faster rather than support your traitorous behind. I’m sick to death of being betrayed by my own party. Cowards, the lot of you.

trish333 on November 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I’m wondering if from here on out the media will even cover the monthly unemployment numbers. Seems that little bit of important information fell on deaf ears yesterday so is it even a story? Maybe it will get filed away next to that pesky Benghazi incident.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Maybe let the tax cuts expire? Embrace Cloward-Pliven by gorging the beast till it’s done; then in the chaos rebuild the Republic back to where she’s supposed to be?

Give the Progs exactly what they want, except for the 2nd Amendment?

kenashimame on November 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Why does anyone think just letting all the Bush tax cuts expire is a winning strategy? If they do that, won’t Reid’s Senate immediately pass the “Obama middle class tax cuts” that reinstate all the cuts except for the “rich”? What does the House do with that bill? Refuse to pass a middle class tax cut because it doesn’t cut taxes on “the rich”?

jdp629 on November 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Zcat on November 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

How quickly they forget that if it weren’t for the Tea Party, Nancy Pelosi would be wielding her big gavel now and the evil triad would intact. The TP is the only reason John Boehner is speaker now.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Like a drug addict, our nation cannot make positive changes until we hit bottom. Taxes on the middle class have to go up because THAT IS WHERE THE MONEY IS.

I do like taxing the entitlements. You know everyone doing their fair share and it sounds better than cutting entitlements.

jukin3 on November 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

No, you tax everyone. No one is left unscathed.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I’m so bummed.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Give the Progs exactly what they want, except for the 2nd Amendment?

kenashimame on November 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Let me know how that “rebuilding” turned out in Russia, Cuba, North Korea, etc.

Once on that path you NEVER RECOVER.

Let’s stop kidding ourselves. We need to slow down the bleeding, not let it go full force.

Read history, then post.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

We’re going to make Boner cry. A lot. On television.

What exactly does Obama plan to do with his second term? Now that Shiwchy Maffews and Rachel are all aflutter, what is the plan, man?

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

jdp629 on November 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Can’t do it without the House.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I’m beginning to think the League of Shadows knew a thing or two.

Ozwitch on November 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Seems more and faster redistribution, same way it happened in Russia and China. Government employees live like kings, everyone else works to make it happen.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

No, it will never happen, there isn’t any GOP’er in congress with enough spine to do such a thing so imagining is all I have.

Pols are pols first and everything else second. Right now ever Pub in office is busy triangulating the best approach for their next election, and if that means selling themselves to the ‘rats then they will do so.

I’ve joined the chorus of pass everything, I mean everything. I’m tired of this slow motion national suicide.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Shelve it like Reid does now with every bill. IIRC, the senate cannot originate budget bills. Not that they will not attach it to something like children’s health.

I will reiterate, what did not shutting the government down August 2011 do for election 2012? We should have stood tall but the establishment Rs won’t do that. The race was lost by turning the conservative base off to the tune of 5 million plus voters. I bet we would have the senate and the presidency if we had stuck to principles.

jukin3 on November 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

JAM on November 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I agree with all of you that are saying let the 51% suffer the consequences. Give them what they think they want. I have a teenager and when he rebels and all else fails, we let him make his mistakes and learn from it. I am going to let Ted Poe and Ted Cruz know that they have my blessing to let Obama have EVERYTHING he wants. Forget the compromise, let them have it! We may be the minority now, but I know that we are right! We tried love, patience, and anger and they are just like spoiled children. They will destroy themselves before they destroy me and my country. I am ready for the hard times, they are not! It’s what God did to the Israelites throughout history. When they turned their back on Him He said, “You want a king? I will give you a king!” And every time their lives went to hell in a hand basket and every time they went back to God. Let’s roll!

texgal on November 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It’s like that Seinfeld episode about breaking up, just rip if off like a band aid and get it over with.

Btw, what was that website you mentioned on another thread about online ammo? I went to Academy today (shelves almost empty of course) and thought it would be easier, especially if it’s free shipping.

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Unfortunately, I am the only poster on the board, it seems, who has ALREADY EXPERIENCED all of this. And I can’t make it any clearer to you guys than I have done so far: Once on that path we will NEVER RECOVER. NEVER.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Bishop:Not much else to say,yup,exactly!:)

canopfor on November 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I’m open to a new speaker. Boehner will not get the job done.

He has yet to get the job done. Why should that change in the new Congress. Actually he’ll be working closer than ever to work with Barry. That’s change we can count on.

hawkeye54 on November 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

There is no other way! It is the last resort!

texgal on November 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

TxAnn56 on November 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM

They don’t sell ammo, he specializes in AR and 10/22 stuff as well as assorted tactical items. He has the cheapest PMAG’s on the planet so go take a look, very good pricing and shipping is fast.

Gunkings.com

His name is Jim King.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

It’s time for USA 2.0. We have a solid red enclave in the southern states and down here – Dims are political pets only. We keep them around and pet them on their cute little heads as a novelty.

If worse comes to worse – we split off from the freeloading sections of the nation and go our own way. We already have plenty of infrastructure to do that.

That’s worse case.

But in any case – we HAVE to hit rock bottom and prove to 50 percent of the electorate that Socialism is not the answer. Only way to do that is give ‘em Socialism and let them taste it.

HondaV65 on November 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

You guys are insane if you believe that allowing liberals to do whatever they feel like next 4 years is somehow going to save us in the end.

1. When you add more free loaders to the lists next time they have even more reasons to vote for free stuff.

2. Once on a path of progressive liberalism, no country has ever made a u-turn. NOT ONE.

I say the only recourse right now is to shut down the government, the only thing possible and doable via House. That said, I am sure Boehner has no balls to do the right thing. As usual. And something he should have done last year.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Be sure to thank your fellow voter.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

HondaV65 on November 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Do you guys even read my posts?

Name one country that moved to progressive liberalism and then made a U-Turn.

NAME ONE.

PLEASE.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

HondaV65 on November 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Yep! It is all that is left! (No pun intended!)

texgal on November 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

We’re being enslaved by the dumbest people in our society and it will only get worse as time goes by. We will have just as tough a time recovering from a society that goes down the current path because it leads to fascism and repression.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Riddick.

We are the US, not a Progressive Liberal country. We are trying to predict ourselves from becoming a Progressive Liberal country.

And we’re not saying to let them pass EVERYTHING. Just taxes. Across the board budget cuts. People need to be laid off to feel the hurt. It needs to be brutal.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

All you have seen the past few years here in USA has been nothing but a copy from USSR’s own past, well researched and proven by now by decades of communist party take over. From so called Alinsky’s book (copied verbatim from works of Lenin and others), to thought suppression, to government run everything and controlling your lives to the littlest detail.

We either make a stand now, via House, or we die same slow death that USSR and China did. And Cuba, And North Korea, and Venezuela now, and…

Not one of these countries has EVER made a comeback.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Name one country that moved to progressive liberalism and then made a U-Turn.

NAME ONE.

PLEASE.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Russia came back from communism returning to Czarism (which is what Putin is) and the Chinese are also bailing out on it. The western welfare state is too young yet to have seen a collapse yet, but it is coming.

I suspect there is a real danger of a hard-line communist or fascist regime but that’s the hand we have been dealt.

The GOP doesn’t have it in them to fight so what are you suggesting?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Agreed…it’s about time they learned not everyone gets a participation trophy in the real world.

Occupy Parents Basement 2014!

nextgen_repub on November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Just taxes you say? Sorry, I am not in the mood to pay at much higher rate so that half the frigging Mexico and India can live off of me. Nor a good number of liberals who already live for free what with not paying for mortgages and getting free medicine and ObamaPhones.

Sorry, does not compute for me. Fair share means just that to me. we ALL pay, some less and some more to balance it all out.

My family and I did not leave Soviet Union to once again be paying for someone else’s chosen life style.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

New revenue . . . . . that’s just great, John. . : (

listens2glenn on November 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

riddick…

You will not have a recognizable America if we operate how you want things to happen. I’m sorry, but it just needs to happen. Yes, everyone’s taxes need to go up. You need to starve the beast. You need people to have high credit card bills. It’s going to suck for them. People who are fiscally sane will be ok. You will need to tighten up the monies and become more creative.

Obama phones aren’t Obama phones. That program needs to be ended. You don’t get to that program ending until you starve the beast.

Stop worry about outside countries. Worry about your family and prepare for the hurt. It will be ok. Taxes can be repealed.

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The GOP doesn’t have it in them to fight so what are you suggesting?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Curious how much do you read on Russia and China these days. Both are run by same people who ran them before, they simply allowed “official” private business and property when in the past people owned houses and cars, but only under stringent “distribution” model which favored government officials and employees mostly. Thus, making neighbor tell on neighbor in their zeal to score more points with the government and the system. Vicious cycle.

Do you know about life in Russia today? If so, please tell me how it is different than in decades past. Same government controlled media and suppression of freedom. Instead of mafia you now pay protection money directly to cops. Nothing much changed, simply instead of being arrested for saying something against Putin one often finds himself killed in a dark hallway. Some improvement…

They are still run by communist parties. And controlled both by military and police. Not much changed and they are still communist in their ways.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Midwestprincesse on November 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

LOL

By whom? Entitlement society?

Unreal…

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Naturalized immigrants from “Eurasia” appreciate America better than natural born.

listens2glenn on November 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

bayam

Liar. Why do you feel the need to constantly lie if you truly believe your policies are the right ones?

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We aren’t a social democrat state. Yet. That’s why we say burn it down faster. People will not have time to get used to their handouts, which will be much lower than a good paying job. People will remember what it was to work and prosper and will want that back. I don’t want a slow descent. Make it fast, hard and painful!

JAM on November 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Its now more of a fascist model than communist and of course the same people are in charge.

When does that ever change?

Some improvement…

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

It is an improvement, just not much of one compared to what we have here.

The problem is that Obama and the Democrats are heading in that direction at breakneck speed.

What alternative would you suggest? Trust in the GOP?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Riddick, we see what is happening! I totally understand what you are saying, I know history! There are still enough of us conservative, thoughtful, God fearing, Americans to save this once great nation. What I have learned in life is that doing the hard thing is usually the right thing! We have to let “them” suffer the consequences! It won’t be easy but I don’t think that there is any other alternative. We don’t give up our values, we just let them live with theirs. We are not giving up or giving in. We are trying to right the sinking ship! “As for me and my house, we will serve The Lord!” The rest is in His hands.

texgal on November 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

What a class act she is, right? Definitely the sort you’d want to invite to a lavish party at the WH…on our dime. /

The Obama extravaganza two years ago for Mexican President Felipe Calderon, which included a performance by pop star Beyonce, cost $969,793, or more than $4,700 per attendee, the documents show.

scalleywag on November 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I wonder if she ever heard of the Dixie Chicks?

Night Owl on November 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

listens2glenn on November 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

And we do as well, more than you know. Main reason I am so against allowing liberals do whatever they fell like.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Go to Hell you effing bastard.

You supported Obama any way possible by your hatred of Romney for being too “not Ron Paul” for your tastes. You were thrilled with the military deaths in Afghanistan and did a happy dance.

So… We’ve got more years under the rat-eared bastard. Congrats or something you filthy America-hating traitor.

Happy Nomad on November 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Go to hell, yourself. You are the one who voted for Obama policies, not me.

Dante on November 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

What alternative would you suggest? Trust in the GOP?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

GOP? LOL…

Same GOP who made sure that Allen West is set up to lose re-election? Or same GOP that led us to ever greater debt limits last year instead of simply shutting down government and saving us all money in the process. Or same GOP who HusseinCare even make it out of the committee last year. Or same GOP who is now for higher taxes?

We need a new party, GOP is dead. Has been dead for some time now, IMHO.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

We need a new party, GOP is dead. Has been dead for some time now, IMHO.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

On this we fully agree.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM

We need a new party, GOP is dead. Has been dead for some time now, IMHO.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

On this, I agree! IMHO.

texgal on November 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

What I see in the next year or two:

Higher taxes on middle class once even the idiot liberals realize that taxing the “rich” is not really going to do much in terms of revenue and actually will move money out of USA.

Gas between $5 and $6 per gallon. If not higher. OWS crowd either has no cars or live in large cities, anyway, with public transport there.

Media sources such as Rush and Levin highly curtailed via some law liberals will devise. Bet on it.

Higher education limited to mostly those who follow liberal doctrine, a la Soviet Union.

Even more government departments with an ever increasing number of federal union employees with requisite (lavish) benefits.

Health care system destroyed and same as in Soviet Union one will have to go “black market” route to find a great doctor who is “off the grid”, so to speak. General health care limited and available by appointments, months in advance. Prescriptions ever more limited and only on a “need to” basis to control the costs.

Public schools teaching even more tenets of communism and re-distribution. Entitlement as well, as in “the government is the only one to take care of you”.

Pretty much all of the above from Soviet Union model.

I foresee civil war in not too distant future. Either that, or states such as Texas ceceding and migration to and from that will result, liberals forced to leave Texas (or whatever states decide to join it) and conservatives from liberal states moving the other way, voluntarily. No other way around.

For those who still think that once we allow the country to fail we will be able to rebuild it, good luck. Never happened before in history. Never will. No one has yet, EVER, rebuilt a country once it has gone full on communist/progressive liberal. Please stop kidding yourselves.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM

My advice?

Lets go over the fiscal cliff. What are we afraid of? Do we even know? This is a situation created by the elite who continue to profit, either by owning financial institutions or creating laws that benefit the banks that then fund the re-election campaign.

The system is broken. It cannot be fixed by any mix of revenue and spending cuts. How does one pay back $16T in debt? You can’t.

One thing that will certainly happen is the US Treasury will default on its debt. And that, ladies and gentlemen, will be the best damn thing to happen to this country since deficit spending became the norm.

The banks and the courts trip over each other when a private citizen is financially irresponsible (by using the very programs those institutions create and unleash), making it nearly impossible to get back on your feet or get a job.

“Pay up or we’ll destroy you”

Screw them. Too big to fail? Not on your life. Just ask Goliath.

BobMbx on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You are all as great as Karl Rove at this at political strat.

All the Super Pac/Crossroad donors are asking for a refund.

@realDonaldTrump: Congrats @KarlRove on blowing $400 million this cycle. Every race @CrossroadsGPS ran ads in, GOP lost. What a waste

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM

bayam

Mr. Bayam,

This letter is to inform you that due to the previous administration of your mortgage company the bank can no longer remain solvent without increasing our revenue.

Therefore, we are raising your monthly payment by 6%.

Our buddies in the Congress have recently passed a law that makes this action legal and you have no recourse, even if you sell or abandon the property.

Please continue to make your monthly payments on schedule.

Love,

Big Bank

BobMbx on November 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The electorate essentially just yawned at and voted for trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.

There really isn’t much that can be done to fix an electorate so stupid and ignorant it can’t understand basic arithmetic, an electorate that thinks taxing those rich people a little more, or even a lot more, is going make any substantive difference in trillion plus dollar deficits.

It will have to learn the hard way. Compromising with Obama and Reid now will only play right into their hands and only delay the inevitable. That kind of compromising is how we got where we are now.

Those of us who see the imminent fiscal disaster coming sooner rather than later will be better prepared than the head-in-the-sand crowd who reelected Zero.

farsighted on November 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Do you guys even read my posts?

Name one country that moved to progressive liberalism and then made a U-Turn.

NAME ONE.

PLEASE.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

We moved to progressive liberalism in the 1960s. We’re there. Get it?

And you’re right…there is no return.

Some of us understand this and realize our fate. We don’t like it, we can’t stop it. I equate this to being in an airplane as it dives, out of control, toward the ground. I know my fate, I can’t change it. No amount of screaming or thrashing is going to change it. So why not relax and just let it happen?

BobMbx on November 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

GIVE- THE -DEMS-EVERY-DAMN-THING-THEY-WANT.

Shoot, the Republicans should vote Pelosi in as Speaker. The country is done anyway. So let the bastards own it and finish destroying it. Maybe a generation or two or three down the road will rebuild the country and start again where the Founders left off after they get the full taste of life under the Dems.

I’ve worked my way through all the stages of grief in less than 24 hours and am going to be stuck on bitter for a while.
Screw the Dems and their wards.
Let them all suffer and die.

justltl on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM

VOTE HIM OUT – GET RID OF HIM!!!! GET RID OF HIM!!!!!

williamg on November 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

We need a new party, GOP is dead. Has been dead for some time now, IMHO.

riddick on November 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

On this, I agree! IMHO.

texgal on November 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

WINNER of Post that Demonstrates the BIGGEST Stupidity and TOTAL LACK of “LESSONS LEARNED”!!

See: “Perot, H. “You People“”

MACACA!!!!!!!

williamg on November 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

We need a new Speaker of the House. One that will tell the President and his party to go to hell!
No tax hikes period!
STOP SPENDING!!!
VOTE PAUL RYAN FOR SPEAKER

Delsa on November 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Can we PLEASE get someone to challenge him 4 Speaker? Anyone come to mind? Say maybe PR?

mmcnamer1 on November 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM

This cry baby must think we’re stupid!

mmcnamer1 on November 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Screw Boehner, if the rest of the Republican caucus had ANY balls they would take this BS as a sign that the entire House leadership team needs to be run out on a rail! But no, the typical weak-kneed pants-wetting cowardly statist-controlled GOP will keep these useless pansies right where they are and keep screwing conservatives until the STFU or just leave. The ONLY sane decision is the walk away from the GOP, how many times do they have to hang out the “Conservatives should not be seen or heard” sign before people get the hint? The GOP is dead, kaput, toast…it deserves the same fate the Whig party experienced once it outlived its purpose. You want to belong to a moderate party, fine, go ahead, but DO NOT every pretend the GOP is a conservative party!

insidiator on November 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Am I the only one that thinks Boehner sounds like a damn retard when he speaks?

Mr. Arrogant on November 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I am also open to a new Republican Speaker of the House.

RandallinHerndon on November 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I re-registered yesterday as an Independent. It felt good.

Mr. Arrogant on November 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

They won riddick. They won. I’m sorry you didn’t have a long enough opportunity to experience this once great country. I am so ashamed that the country we once had is gone. The grief is going to take a long time to ease for me. I’m sorry, but we’re beaten. God bless you & yours. Time to look to me & mine.

graywaiter on November 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I see the GOP sellout has already begun. It didn’t even take 24 hours.

sherrimae on November 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM