A few thoughts on the end of the campaign — and the beginning of a big challenge

posted at 8:01 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

In the final couple of weeks of the presidential campaign, we had a big debate over the nature of the American electorate, played out through polling criticism on both sides of the political divide. This came down to fundamental assumptions about which election cycle proved to be a realignment, and which turned out to be the anomaly.  Many conservatives — myself among them, to be sure — operated on the assumption that the 2008 election had been the anomaly, driven by the fiscal crisis, and corrected in the 2010 midterm elections.  The Left assumed that the fiscal crisis in 2008 had realigned the electorate toward greater government interventionism, and that the 2010 cycle was the anomaly, driven by a partisan fight over health care and the lack of a presidential contender at the top of the ticket.

Clearly, conservatives lost that argument last night, at least in large part, as John Ziegler wrote in the immediate aftermath.  That was borne out by the final calculation in the exit polling as well as the vote itself.  The partisan split in the electorate was 38/32/29, nearly identical to 2008.  We argued that Barack Obama and Democrats couldn’t win a base turnout election again, but they did, as evidenced by Mitt Romney’s five-point win among independents, 50/45.  Romney even lowered the gender gap from an Obama +14 in 2008 to Obama +4 in 2012, but that clearly wasn’t enough to overcome what now looks to be a significant realignment four years ago towards Democrats and not an anomaly.

This time, Republicans can’t blame the candidate, or at least they shouldn’t.  Mitt Romney ran one of the most well-organized national campaigns in recent memory within the GOP.  He raised prodigious amounts of cash, keeping pace with Obama.  The RNC followed suit, building a massive and impressive GOTV effort that really did produce a big increase in turnout — but not enough to match what Democrats did in this cycle.  Republicans blamed John McCain in 2008 and even George Bush for the bailouts, but those fig leaves are gone, and the realignment is too apparent to ignore.

That reality presents a challenge to the GOP and to conservatives.  We do not need to change our values, but we do need to find ways to communicate them in an engaging and welcoming manner.  We need to think creatively about big issues, philosophy, and how we can relate conservative values to the needs of a wider range of voters.  Conservatism cannot become constrictionism, or the realignment will continue, and it will become ever more difficult to win national elections.

This will require a new set of national leaders for the Republican Party and conservatism.  We need men and women who can think creatively, produce a positive agenda that isn’t defined by an oppositional nature, and who can eloquently communicate that agenda and the values that drive it.  That should be our focus over the next two years before we start thinking about who to nominate as the party’s presidential nominee — and if done properly, that process will naturally produce the right leader for conservatism.  And if that is done properly, too, perhaps we’ll be in position for another realignment four years from now.

Update: Some readers feel I owe them an apology for “misleading” them about polling over the last few months.  I kind of assumed that this post served as a mea culpa for getting it wrong by explaining why it happened.  Very obviously, I misread the shift in the electorate.  I wasn’t the only one who did so, but I did, and I do apologize for getting it wrong.  However, I didn’t set out to mislead anyone.  What I wrote was my honest opinion about how the polls were based on assumptions of the electorate with which I disagreed — and I’ll note that I linked to the source data every time, and that readers were certainly free to draw their own conclusions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9 12

I simply no longer care. I am going to watch this train wreck go into overdrive and simply smile as the nation goes down the tubes…

Pest on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I hope no one out there is donating a single cent to Superstorm Sandy relief. I’m not.

If the blue states want to take more of my money by force, then I am not going to give them one cent voluntarily. They want government handouts, let them live on them.

MidniteRambler on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man –
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began –
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool’s bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire –
And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

NOMOBO on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Uniblogger on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

No where. I’m done with putting so much energy into politics to try and save a country that’s not only dying, but happily comitting scuicide.

I’m done. Throwing in the towel. Not worth the havoc this is playing with my blood pressure.

crazy_legs on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

The stock market tanks after Obama’s win. The dow is down 250 points in just the first few hours of trading. The S&Ps are down over 26 points. Obamacare is here to stay and it will be here tomorrow too. The downfall begins early. The massive layoffs will be here sooner than even I expected

Dollayo on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

…what will he do with himself in this new term? Golf? While Valerie Jarrett runs the place?

In other words, ops normal.

Dexter_Alarius on November 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Something that we are loathe to do here it seems, is to give props to David Axlerod and his crew. They knew what they were doing and how to get out their vote. Our side needs to incorporate early voting into it’s get-out-the-vote strategy. Chicago whupped Boston in the ground game.

Sheerq on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

That’s just reality. And, the media is going to hang any Republican who opposes it, especially as vehemently as Santorum did.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

No you are just spinning.

The Establishment lost six times in a row that is a pattern.

The Tea Party won big just two years ago.

Santorum had their complete backing. They would have voted for him and Tod Akin and Mourdock would have won with GOP support most likely others as well.

Instead the Base was completely dispirited and depressed with a candidate they hated. Remember the No Mitt vote was huge.

Establishment candidates lose 100% of the time. Nixon destroyed any chance they had by being forced from office.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

…and another thing – our side cannot cede any state, period. If we are not going to have limits on spending, then a 50 state strategy, with more than one way to win, is the only option.

Sheerq on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I think the GOP needs to reboot similar to what happened with Michael Dukakis after 1988 with the death penalty. Democrats finally learned their lesson, you can’t be against the death penalty and soft on crime.

The culture war needs to end with the GOP. Anyone taking the “Akin/Mourdock” position on abortion needs to be dealt with by the national party similar to how they dealt with David Duke.

If the GOP could close the gender gap, it would win elections. At some point, people of faith (which includes me) need to understand that politicians aren’t spiritual leaders and most of these moral issues are going to either be won or lost in people’s hearts, not at the ballot box.

BradTank on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

It’s over. The Shining City on A Hill’s lights have gone out. Our nation will continue to cannibalize itself and continue to blame boogeymen for why things fail. It will be just as Ayn Rand predicted. The looters will reign supreme till there is nothing left to loot. Society will need to collapse. Everything bad that will happen will be blamed upon the producers and achievers in society. And it will get worse and worse.

Man’s natural state is one of suffering. America was the exception and created many pockets of luxury because of our leadership. No more. Now we will wallow in the muck of mediocrity on our gradual descent to oblivion. The communist insurrection my grandparents thought they fought so hard against is complete. Congratulations to the left for realizing Stalin’s dream of a corrupt, socialist America.

There is no where left to go. The world will go to hell in a handbasket. Violence will rise up and America will be unable and unwilling to do anything about it. We have failed because we allowed our demographics to become a people who would rather vote themselves a piece of a declining treasury than go out and create our own.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”

I for one have no fight left in me. I’m drained and I refuse to participate in my own demise. I’ve tried to reason with people over the past few months about the dangers of reelecting Obama and it made no difference to them. Reason does not matter anymore. Logic means nothing. Emotion and greed are all that counts. The nation will die in the name of the “public good.” It’s over.

njrob on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

don’t think he got that, Deanna. I hear the reception on Obamaphones is pretty crappy.

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Yeah I know. But it’s this reality that these people don’tet. Some of them have been able to live so long in the bubble of entitlements they may never see until something drastic happens. Others are happy to fool people into thinking they care when they really only want the ego stroke of appearing to be caring…Leftist Elites. I think we under-estimated exacty how many of these people there are. I don’t think any cadidate that wasn’t Liberal could have won. It will take something more than just the candidate to change this.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m stopping by my local CVS to get a large bottle of Fukitol. The moochers have won and I ain’t going to be happy about it for a long time.

goin’ Galt

DanMan on November 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I think the Republican party’s biggest problem is the perception of them. I know many middle class people who don’t realize they are middle class. Some receive company bonuses each year and don’t realize that Mitt Romney would love to give them MORE of their money while Obama would LOVE to take more and redistribute it.

Cash is king, people by and large vote for the person who will fill it more. Unfortunately for those waking up for work every day, they will actually be giving more than they are gettin’ (they just don’t realize it.)

guera on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

If it’s indeed true that Romney got 3 million fewer votes than McCain, it may not be Romney’s failings as a candidate but a feeling that Obama wasn’t all that bad.

To us, it’s inconceivable. But all those reasons that the real Lefties hate Obama for continuing Bush policies are reasons centrists liked him — or liked him enough. In 2008, some Americans saw Obama as a New Black Panther ready to turn over the country to mujahideen, Rev. Wright, and the Nobel Peace Prize Committee. In 2012, he was far less scary.

For me at least, the big problem with Romney’s campaign was the commitment to expand the military. Maybe it’s necessary, but why did anyone think in a post-Iraq era that was a big vote-getter? And it undermined the argument for fiscal responsibility. That, along with the no-new-taxes pledges (for God’s sake, raise them a bit already), made his fiscal pitch seem irresponsible (please, no lectures about how tax increases kill growth — even if that was true, it loses us votes because of the fairness argument that everyone has to sacrifice).

bobs1196 on November 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Agree with you on the military spending. Watching that foreign policy debate it was quite depressing how similar to the two were in terms of foreign policy. Both Wilsonian globalists with an eye on intervening everywhere they see fit in the world.

In terms of raising taxes, I simply disagree. I’ve got no problems with closing loopholes, but raising taxes isn’t the solution which is proven by how paltry the levels of increased revenue are when compared to the potential damage they can do. The whole tax code itself really needs to be simplified which would prevent a lot of this mentality of “the rich get away with this and that”. I think Romney could have scored points if he had pushed that position.

Anyway, we’ll never know, but I just suspect the electorate was really led astray by a lot of these smaller issues. Like it or not I think the whole wag the dog “war on women” mantra had some effect and Akin’s comments probably reinforced what some already suspected about the Republican Party. Yes, I know his comments were completely blown up to an irrational level and that it shouldn’t taint someone’s vote in a presidential election, but I’ve talked to several Leftist friends and many of them point to his stupid comments as to reasons why they can’t support the GOP.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I am going to sell my small rental property to a guy who wants to make it Section 8…good program right? But no more taxes from that for your programs. Oh and I imagine he will kick out the couple who live there because they actually have jobs and won’t qualify. Or they could have a kid, quit working and then qualify. Sounds about right. As for me, I will invest that money overseas too.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Section 8 is a good government program. /s In my state, there’s usually a 3 year wait list–like being at the DMV.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

When you have bad chiefs who work more for themselves than the tribe the tribe becomes weaker.

When you have bands within the tribe who become scouts for others who wish to take your best land, best water, and to make war on you,you will lose your lands and your tibe will be no more.

When you have chiefs who speak with the forked snake way you will not trust your leaders and you will become one, two, 100 aginst the othere one, two, 100, bands/others of different markings on the face and skin.

Now about there are those who divide, sow lies, and only work for their on ends and they hide the end they plan for you.

Only you, each of you can reunite the American tribe, there are those like B. Obama who only know the way of the forked snake words and division.

Beware, ask any Apache what happened/happens to a land and people when these things come and the people are not united.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

We would’ve won with a conseravative. Santorum and Newt would’ve fought maobama… they wouldn’t have given him a pass on Fast and Furious and Libya.

LevinFan

Santorum and Newt both would have lost. Santorum is another one of those guys who wants to rape women and make them have babies, and Newt gave his wife divorce papers on her death bed. Those 2 woman haters probably would have done even worse than Mitt once the Obama media was done with them. I mean, I barely remember Mitt or Ryan mentioning abortion at all, yet women were convinced that’s all either of them ever talked about.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

idesign on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

palin is still standing on the sidelines. and thats where she’ll stay. but every cycle sycophants like you will continue to claim she’s the only one who can save us. but she will never ever run for any elected office again.

chasdal on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

BradTank on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Our entire budget is spent on social programs. How the hell can politicians stay away from social issues when we spend over two trillion dollars on them a year?

People will stop talking about social issues when the government gets out of dictating to society.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Will we come back? I hope so but not until they realize the well can run dry.

We are done, cooked, it’s over. There is no comeback from a guy who will continue to raise our national debt to buy off more scum sucking ilk that will vote for the Democrat in 2016. But it makes NO difference who wins in 2016, America (the one we know and loved) is dead.

As the “rich” refuse to fork over their wealth to the pond scum, this new America becomes a third world nation with a “president” who will do as he wishes with executive order. He got enough of a “mandate” (by his way of thinking) last night to sell out America with executive orders or by simply continuing to ignore the Constitution.

Stick a fork in America.

katablog.com on November 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

guera on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I think that’s true. People believe what they hear from the media about the Republican party.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The American people might be idiots, but investors certainly are not, and this President was, is, and will be a disaster when it comes to the economy.

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

No one seems to remember that, in the two weeks immediately following Obama’s election in 2008, the market tanked 25% in two weeks. That and Fed pumping is why the market was up so much in Obama’s first term. It bounced back on low volume from a large departure of capital by getting inflated by Helicopter Ben.

Obama’s election this time is not just a serious bump in the road. It’s America’s death knell. America as it has existed is gone. Extinct. And capital is going to flee this idiotic country at a rapid pace.

Django on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Hot Air’s not insignificant part in the polarization of conservative politics is EXACTLY why you guys lost — and lost miserably.

But you’ll never learn. No matter what happens, you’ll never really examine yourselves. Already, you’re demonstrating all the qualities of that make your policies repugnant to most Americans.

And that’s fine by me. The crazier you get, the more your ideas “self-deport” to the dustbins of history.

bifidis on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

No you are just spinning.

The Establishment lost six times in a row that is a pattern.

The Tea Party won big just two years ago.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Steve, I’m not trying to start an argument with you here, but is it REALLY your contention that Santorum would have beaten Obama last night?

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I voted for the turd. The turd was a turd, and not everyone thinks that Obama’s end game is going to be using DHS and 1.4 billions rounds of ammunition to make the final fundamental changes he desires.

Like I said in the beginning of the Romney primary victory period. Romney is a 2% difference to most people.

Healthcare, same.
Energy, same.
Regulations, same.
Minimum wage laws, worse.
Welfare state, same.
Entitlement state, same.

The fact is that by evidence of the turnout, it is not demographics that lost the election, but lack of enthusiasm for the candidate. That is the fault of the candidate, not the voters.

It was Romney’s job to show the voters that he would be better, he had nearly a billion dollars to make that case. Apparently about 4 million conservatives did not see the distinction, and last minute personality changes that make a candidate appear conservative for one single debate is not enough to carry the day.

Romney won the middle game, he lost the base turnout game. The middle is not enough.

astonerii on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

You voted for maobama or Romney?

Who are you calling the turd?

Everyone knows Romney is a moderate but he’s NOT a Marxist. Anyone who thinks they are the same is intellectually dishonest.

You’ll see just how different and how much worse maobama will be in the next 4 years.

And no I didn’t want romney in the primary — most conservatives didn’t. Yet I was smart enough to realize that we needed to defeate the marxist, while many so called conservatives stupidly did NOTHING to stop the worst president in history!

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

bifidis on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I actually think that’s projection on your part.

There are serious, thought-provoking discussions taking place here on the future proper role of government. Meanwhile, the Left concerns itself with Big Bird, binders, and vaginas – all the while promising more and delivering less to it’s sycophants. Tell me again who the crazier of the two is.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

BradTank on November 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

So, basically, become Democrat-lite.

There won’t even BE a Republican party without social Conservatives.

gumbyandpokey on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

“Plus, that’s all the democrats talked about … social issues. Why is it ok for them but not us?’

They talked about them constantly because they knew American voters agreed with them. It’s the same reason why Bush Sr. made Willie Horton the focus of the campaign in 1988.

At one time, “700 Club” social issues were a winner for the GOP because we were a Christian nation that had traditional values. The Moral Majority was real. Even Joe Biden used to be pro-life.

But that’s long gone, and we are now a secular nation and the GOP needs to decide if it’s worth fighting over these abstract issues while we turn into Greece or maybe deal with the problems politicians can actually address.

BradTank on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

What is it with Establishment Republicans?

Do they just erase 2010 from their memories?

It is not the voters. The voters are about the same as in the Reagan years. They voted GOP in huge numbers just two years ago.

But then the Establishment destroyed the Tea Party. Bring back the Tea Party and we will win again only bigger.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

The problem is that for 50 years liberalism has dominated 3 critical areas and has completed the task of division.

They dominate Primary Education and have won lifetime appointments through consolidation and expansion of their union.

They dominate Higher Education and the Scientific Fields in Medicine,Psychiatry and the hard sciences including environmental, and high tech. Expediency trumps Medical ethics and Morality.

They domininate the legal and judiciary, and soon the military and law enforcement.

Rick Perry was right again…This was not a Republican v Democrat election

It was a Conservative v Liberal election.

Conservatives are outnumbered and may regionally migrate.

Conservatives have got to get it together & stop the infighting.

Conservatives have got to be better teachers about the US Constitution in every day life and in the public square and teach accurate history.

Conservatives have got to find a way to draw in Latinos and African Americans to increase our numbers and fight this Marxist evil.

Conservatives have got to unite.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The new national slogan:

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.

It has never been so true that those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it. Whether they realize it or not, the proponents of Hope and Change have sown the seeds of Doom and Despair.

Like the fall of the Soviet Union during my generation, the next generation will end up with a bloated, inefficient bureaucracy that sucks the life out of everything until there’s no life left. Then it will collapse. At that point, historians can write about the rise and fall of the American dream.

EdmundBurke247 on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

We do not need to change our values, but we do need to find ways to communicate them in an engaging and welcoming manner. We need to think creatively about big issues, philosophy, and how we can relate conservative values to the needs of a wider range of voters.
– Ed

I’m hopeful. Perhaps a ‘progressive conservatism’ can emerge.
The first indication of this will be the early chatter on the next Repub primary. If, say, Mitch Daniels throws his hat in – will he find himself needing to respond to the sort of arguments and comments you get from a Michelle Bachmann (or a Michelle Malkin)? Will the hyper moralists continue to have a seat at the table? This wasn’t so much a defeat for conservatism or Republican as it was for a certain brand of it.
But if the noise and vitriol from the angry right isn’t marginalized, the Dems can count on a White House lock for decades.

verbaluce on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Did I vote for the father of Obama Care and Gay Marriage.

No way.

But I voted for every other Republican on the ticket. Andy Harris won handily. His opponent voted in Florida and Maryland and had to leave the race at the last minute. But no there is no voter fraud.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

You’re a disgrace and should be ashamed of yourself.

We are stuck with the most radical and worst potus in our history due to people LIKE YOU!

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

W damaged the GOP brand (gleefully aided and abetted by the MSM) in ways that will take generations to fix.

Romney was right about the 47%, except that they turned out to be 50.3%. The takers are now past the tipping point and we won’t be going back for the foreseeable future.

The country needs a divorce.

cool breeze on November 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A nation drank hemlock last night. My heart breaks.

kurtzz3 on November 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Just remember, we’re all in this together…

Pest on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

This time, Republicans can’t blame the candidate, or at least they shouldn’t. Mitt Romney ran one of the most well-organized national campaigns in recent memory within the GOP. He raised prodigious amounts of cash, keeping pace with Obama. The RNC followed suit, building a massive and impressive GOTV effort that really did produce a big increase in turnout — but not enough to match what Democrats did in this cycle.

Perhaps we can’t blame Romney, though there is certainly much to criticize.

But you know who we can blame? Chris F’n Christie. We need a concerted campaign to get NJ Republicans to stand down in 2013 and let that fat ****er get annihilated by Cory Booker.

Lawdawg86 on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ed,

The issue is not communications. At this point in history conservatism has lost. We have passed the 50% tipping point where the takers (or as Ayn would say looters) now outnumber the producers. We will now see the Republicans attempt to reinvent themselves as kinder and gentler democrats, but the theme of both parties will be redistribution. All we can do is hunker down and let this go to its inevitable end, a Greece like crash. A good day to consider an addition to the family defense resources.

Rumpole of the Bailey on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Yess!! Santorum or Newt would’ve won!!

Conservatives, moderates lose!

It was a 38/32 D to R split with 10 million fewer conservatives voting!

Too many conservatives didn’t like Romney and stayed home — and his antics during the convention didn’t help!

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Newt gave his wife divorce papers on her death bed. .

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

You’re full of it and it’s not shinola .

EnglishRogue on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Yess!! Santorum or Newt would’ve won!!

Conservatives, moderates lose!

It was a 38/32 D to R split with 10 million fewer conservatives voting!

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

EDIT:

Conservatives WIN, moderates LOSE

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I’ve been saying for years there is only one thing that is going to save this country and it doesn’t involve the ballot box.

Our founding fathers fought a revolution over less tyranny than we face today. They were willing to give up their lives for freedom. How much do we have to take before we finally say enough?

I know some people will say I am a nut. Maybe, but it’s apparent there are powerful forces at work everyday to enslave all of us. AND THEY ARE WINNING!

To those who still think this is a free country, I ask you: Name one thing in your life that is not in some form regulated by government.

Fazman on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Don’t worry, they’ll just vote it out of your pocket for themselves.

Socratease on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Liberals unite under generalities.

Conservatives get caught up in details which lose those we need to educate…keeps conservatives fractured as seen in the primaries.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

So, basically, become Democrat-lite.

There won’t even BE a Republican party without social Conservatives.

gumbyandpokey on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Actually disagree with you there. There are a growing number of citizens who believe the government shouldn’t involve itself in social issues. There are also a growing number of citizens who believe the government shouldn’t involve itself in the crony capitalism, centralized planning, corporatism which has been practiced by Obama for the past four years. In this election, those social issues won out. As the economic situation becomes more dire that will change, and Republicans will have an opportunity to show that a limited government, Austrian school of economics approach to fiscal policy will become in more and more demand. If they discard the social issues, they’ll have a chance to expand their ranks there quite significantly.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Perhaps we can’t blame Romney, though there is certainly much to criticize.

Lawdawg86 on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I agree 100%!

I hated Christie before he sucked up to obama!

I would even consider donating to Booker out of spite!

…. maybe Krispy Kreme will get a nice position in the maobama regime!

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I’ve lived in California all my life, I’m a 4th generation native. When I got out of college a while and saw how things were in the real world, I thought it might be nice to move to America some day, it sounded like a nice place. Now it seems that America will be moving to California.

Damn. Missed my chance.

Socratease on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Easily.

Romney lost because the base at least 10% of them would not vote for him thus the difference in party identification between 2010 and 2012.

Santorum would have gotten a greater Republican response than in 2010. In 2010 the voters said No Obama Care. We ignored them and thus lost. Santorum would have really listened and gotten rid of Obama Care. Abortion is a fringe issue no one really cares because every one knows the law will remain nearly the same for the time being.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

guera on November 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You know how people love to support the underdog team in sports? (unless you share a geographic location with the sure-win)
People identify with democrats because they see themselves as propping up the downtrodden little guy, or they view themselves as the underdog.

guera on November 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

BradTank on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Blacks and hispanics are secular? No, this is still a very religious nation. It doesn’t seem that way because the small minority of liberals control education and the media.

Plus, I don’t remember Romney going heavily into social issues at all. He focused on the economy and apparently more people want it to get worse.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Potheads…Gays…Ladyparts…Unions…Bamaphones…
hipsters…and resentful atheists won the culture wars and balkanized regions.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This. The moral decay gave us the economic decay. The church now gets to decide if it’s willing to stand against the gates of Hell.

And Israel? We’ve handed it to the murderous Islamists and like Benghazie, there will be no answer when the call for help comes in.

Portia46 on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

The fault lies with conservatives. We had a chance to rid the USA of Obama and we did not turn out. If cons turned out as they did for Bush in 04, we would have won. Romney had indies and he did good with women. We brought this on ourselves. What more did we need to turn out? America is finished. Ultra lib supreme court, obamacare, crushing debt. Its over.

Jack_Burton on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

How do you win when the press is in the pocket of the DNC and 47% of the country in on the take?

29Victor on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

You know, I feel like I should have known this would be the outcome. Allah was almost upbeat.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Ditto. I want to see Christie get trounced so badly in NJ that it effectively ends his national ambitions.

Lawdawg86 on November 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Invest in gun and ammo companies, build your on nest and way to live without goverment for goverment will eat itself soon enough.
Once the feeding for free frenze is done the free feeders will eat one another.

Stay out of the free feed fest and fights.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

There won’t even BE a Republican party without social Conservatives.

gumbyandpokey on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It will be the Libertarian party with another name.

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Senate will not have a fillibuster proof majority. If the GOP stands firm, the Senate will not be able to pass much garbage.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

1) The damage has already been done. Obamacare is here to stay, can’t be repealed now, and will destroy both the economy and the quality of healthcare in this country.
2) This president regularly pis*ses on the Constitution, and will decree by Executive Order whenever the hell he wants.
3) When as the GOP on Capitol Hill ever stood firm? You think spineless cowards like Boehner and McConnell are going to start standing firm now? Their idea of “standing firm” is a harshly worded censure or a critical interview on Greta. Then it’s back to the Capital Grille for another gin & tonic.

The Beltway GOP are not on our side.

Right Mover on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

guera on November 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

One thing I think the GOP failed to do was explain in the simplest terms how much we actually spend on entitlements, and how taxes and regualtion hurt employment and the economy.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Fazman on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You make a good point, but that kind of revolutionary talk isn’t usually tolerated on this site. Even though you’re stating reality, they’re living in a world where lawsuits, etc. trump all.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Rumpole of the Bailey on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

As entertaining as some of the stories were, and as Leo McKern was, it may unfortunately be noted that John Mortimer was a life-long avowed Liberal.

M240H on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Christie will just put a D after his name or an I and get elected once more.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My youngest son is 28 and he voted for Romney but said it was the last time he was voting for a major party candidate. Now I think that is b.s. because the times always factor in, but there are far to many of his friends who feel the game is rigged and both parties suck.

Cindy Munford on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

This will require a new set of national leaders for the Republican Party and conservatism. We need men and women who can think creatively, produce a positive agenda that isn’t defined by an oppositional nature, and who can eloquently communicate that agenda and the values that drive it. That should be our focus over the next two years before we start thinking about who to nominate as the party’s presidential nominee — and if done properly, that process will naturally produce the right leader for conservatism. And if that is done properly, too, perhaps we’ll be in position for another realignment four years from now.

anybody for a Chirstie Rubio ticket in 2016. If we live that long.

Trebuchet on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

It’s incredibly difficult to be engaging and welcoming with entire generations of people who were raised in an “it’s all about ME” society. It’s hard to get people to shift their mindset away from “what can I get for doing as little as possible” to “if I work hard enough, I can get somewhere.”

And we all have to admit: that’s what Obama is all about. Class warfare, “You didn’t build that,” what am I owed for that guy owning a house bigger than mine, etc.

jedijson on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You voted for maobama or Romney?

Who are you calling the turd?

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Romney, I threw my morals to the wind and voted Romney.

You forget that the electorate at large is not well informed. My prediction at the onset of the post primary seems to have been proven. Romney did not get out the base. Reason? He was too close to being Obama.

I already know Obama is worse. But Romney would not have fixed things. The failure would still have been eminent with his victory. The only difference is who takes the blame for it.

As for stopping the worst president in history, I did the most I was willing to. I filled in the mark next to Romney’s name. I have had trouble sleeping ever since. It is worse now that even my token self betrayal resulted in no change at all in the outcome.

I talked to 5 people at my office today. 4 of them did not vote. All 5 are conservatives. Reason? They did not see enough of a difference to care to put the effort in to vote. I know there are several others with the same view. They hate Obama, but they also figured they would hate Romney too.

Way to throw away a perfectly winnable election. lost how many millions of votes from 2008? It is not the electorate that failed. It was the party and the candidates. 2010 proves that when motivated by conservative promises conservatives can win elections. Romney offered no conservative alternative, just 2% better solutions.

astonerii on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I hear ya. And believe me I’m not advocating for it. I just feel like a man without a country. Our founders gave us a very precious gift, and we have squandered it.

Fazman on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Realignment my rear. This was nothing but a non-inspirational candidate that could not advocate a STRONG conservative vision for the country. Being able to lead and inspire folks is not a learned attribute, you have to have it and Mitt didn’t.

I don’t mind losing, but if I’m going to lose, it shouldn’t be with a compromised candidate with compromised principles. I’ll win or lose on my terms.

The establishment can have the Republican party. We might need to consider creating a Conservative Party with true to Constitution principles.

rgrovr on November 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

On top of everything else we now have the socialsit nut Lizzy “tax business 100%” Warren in the Senate. This crackpot has already started writing bills to kill of capitalism for good.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I never liked Brown, but when he was going to be 41, I sent him money. I am glad to see him gone. Now if we could get rid of several more senators. McCain and Graham come to mind, I will be happier.

astonerii on November 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

By the way, Texas is sending Ted Cruz to Washington D.C..

We need to have Ted’s back the RINO’s will be out to cut him in half with a thousand little slurs and back stabing.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I’m done, too. Today my heart is broken and I feel like I’m in shock. In a way, I don’t care what they do from here on in, because the nation will only be dumbed down even more. The future is bleak for the very ones who voted for “the one”.

Paddington on November 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

That won’t work because economic illiteracy is the foundation of the modern Democrat party. Basic economic principles are largely counter-intuitive. It takes effort to understand. Most Americans can’t be bothered with the effort.

One example: the “zero sum fallacy.” Leftists believe that when someone (or some country) gets rich, someone must therefore get poor. They don’t understand that there is not, nor ever will be, a “fixed” sum of wealth divided into slices. Wealth is created. The zero sum fallacy is a cornerstone of everything they believe in/vote for.

Further, blaming “the rich,” “big corporations,” Fox News,” etc. is much easier and emotionally satisfying for them. As a former Lefty myself I assure you that it is so easy being a Dem. No rational thought required.

visions on November 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Now don’t tell me Chrisie slobbering all over Obama didn’t bolster the president’s image. That had nothing to do with helping New Jersey; it had everything to do with Romney not picking Christie for V.P. What a slob!

Oracleforhire on November 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Fazman on November 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Agreed 100%.

Flange on November 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

…we are now a secular nation and the GOP needs to decide if it’s worth fighting over these abstract issues while we turn into Greece

BradTank on November 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

…and losing those battles again and again and again, dragging the rest of the conservative agenda down with them.

Regardless of the merits, Roe v. Wade will never be overturned. To suggest otherwise is politically radioactive.

cool breeze on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

But there will always be somebody else for them to blame.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Nice post. However, calling them “clients” gets them halfway to the entitlement mindset. I believe “recipients” is a more descriptive, yet respectful noun.

freedomfirst on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The citizens of the United States have sold their gift of freedom for a pound of government cheese and a joint. We deserve what is coming in spades. My only solace is that the big, blue cities are going to be the first to experience the pain that the impending chaos will bring. Our ancestors will not forgive us taking their hard won gift and pissing it away.

djtnt on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

By the way, I think that Paul Ryan is the 2016 GOP candidate. By that time, the majority of the nation’s people will be fed up with the libs.

Voter from WA State on November 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

He’s going to have to get through a Primary field that will include Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal (who I’d have no problem with), possibly Scott Walker, Mike Pence, and Chris Christie, who will be the furthest left, the best-funded and the designated media darling/next-in-line.

And it won’t matter, because whoever the nominee is will be successfully, if inaccurately, depicted as stupid/racist/sexist/extremist and will lose to another Marxist statist like Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Andrew Cuomo or Cory Booker.

Tell me where I am wrong in any of this.

Right Mover on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Uh, quick question. If Romney’s campaign was so well-oiled, how did they get suckered into thinking Pennsylvania and Minnesota were in play?

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Really awesome to come here this morning and be pi**ed on by trolls.

Use the “Contact Hot Air” icon at upper right to let the editors know it’s time to purge the trolls or lose the traffic that makes this site profitable.

Or do you like being pi**ed on by trolls?

M240H on November 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

djtnt on November 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I agree 100%!

Fazman on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Ed,

Rumpole of the Bailey on November 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I agree, the problem was not communication. People knew what was at stake in this election. If they didn’t then no amount of commuication will inform them. They knew the choices and they chose collectivism, socialism, and redistribution. They chose to be Greece. The tipping point has been reached. I expect Republicans to turn into the democrats of today while democrats continue to move even further left to full blown socialists. But facts won’t change, 1+1 will never equal 3 no matter how many people believe it will or vote for it to be. Prepare for the worst.

Dollayo on November 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And the traitorous media onslaught/lies continue.

THEY NEVER blame Obama or people being scared of what might happen for consumer sentiment going down or people being spooked out of the over inflated Stock Market.

The TEATER Generation will not be denied America.

TEATERNAMI………FORWARD!!!

PappyD61 on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

verbaluce on November 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Decades? After the economic collapse, you think there will be an election? Just like Cuba elections?

Portia46 on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Django on November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Trust me, I remember.

I get that this election stuff is fun and games for the Obama voters in Cleveland, Miami, Philadelphia, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc…, and that all they care about is more government hand-outs and abortion (or if they are white affluent liberal males, no one knows what). But for the productive members of society, Obama as president means a serious decline in wealth through increased taxes and a worse economy.

And I can tell you right now. If Republican candidates feel the need to keep running awful campaigns because of incompetent staff, and it continues to impact my financial situation, I will not sit on the sidelines. Yesterday encouraged me to get more involved in politics. Because I know for a fact that I could have done a better job than the guys who ran Romney’s and McCain’s campaigns.

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Compromise will be the new GOP narrative. I’m hearing it locally already. What a disgrace.

Mr. Arrogant on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Dow down 300

Own it

cmsinaz on November 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The electorate has changed, and we are now headed toward a full nanny state with everyone grabbing for what they can. Maybe I will go on disability and let the rest of you support me forever. The marxists plan is working. First they infiltrated our education system and now the government. Then they’ve allowed illegals in who don’t know the first thing about freedom (no different the rest of the masses). They win unless a majority sees the path we’re going down. Grab the goodies while you can.

HiJack on November 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

astonerii on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Then they’re idiots.

Ronnie on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Dow is down 300. Gee, I wonder why that is. By the way, the day after the 2008 election, the Dow also dropped several hundred.
Wall Street hates socialism. But Wall Street is eeevil, according to the effing morons who wanted this sociopath dictator reelected.

Right Mover on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Jack_Burton on November 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Romney and Santorum went scorched earth on Hispanics to beat the Governor of Texas in the primaries.

They did it because they thought Cubans in FL could save them.

Hispanics (even socially conservative ones) always unite with liberals who turn it into a racial oppression cause.

This is a reality and conservatives will lose Texas over it because they have no clue how to deal with this reality.

Obama has increased his hispanic base & nothing will stop that…But Hispanics can be won over.

Reagan did it.

Rubio, Martinez and Cruz are the result of Reagan’s appeal.

We’ve got to work harder at dealing with this lectoral and demographic reality.

Once Catholic Schools, Hospitals and Charities across the nation shut down…Hispanics as a voting block will split.

That will be the opportunity to draw Hispanics to conservatism through the common ground of family values and economics.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Stocks dropped on Wednesday (300 and droppping) as investors renewed their focus on a looming fiscal showdown in Congress after the re-election of President Barack Obama, and comments by European Central Bank President Mario Draghi fed concern about Europe’s debt crisis.

America is Europe now.

Welcome to Stupidland!

Schadenfreude on November 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The country needs a divorce.

cool breeze on November 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Too true. Other tipping points will follow.

freedomfirst on November 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

You guys were wrong about who would win the election and you’re wrong about the sky falling. Grow up.

Politricks on November 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I think its very interesting that the one group that keeps the republican party competitive is the first thing the chattering class says we should ditch.
Blaming So-Cons is shortsighted and self-defeating. Why listen to the people who would never vote Republican anyway?

Iblis on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Nice Ed, you are dreaming.

Myself and thousands of others will starve the beast, the looters, and in turn make the idiotic moochers even more miserable.

It makes no sense to produce so that Obama can buy votes with our efforts.

More time to read all day. 4 more years of the good life.

Schadenfreude on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Though we’re in Texas-so not much is going to change-I’m feeling numb.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM