A few thoughts on the end of the campaign — and the beginning of a big challenge

posted at 8:01 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

In the final couple of weeks of the presidential campaign, we had a big debate over the nature of the American electorate, played out through polling criticism on both sides of the political divide. This came down to fundamental assumptions about which election cycle proved to be a realignment, and which turned out to be the anomaly.  Many conservatives — myself among them, to be sure — operated on the assumption that the 2008 election had been the anomaly, driven by the fiscal crisis, and corrected in the 2010 midterm elections.  The Left assumed that the fiscal crisis in 2008 had realigned the electorate toward greater government interventionism, and that the 2010 cycle was the anomaly, driven by a partisan fight over health care and the lack of a presidential contender at the top of the ticket.

Clearly, conservatives lost that argument last night, at least in large part, as John Ziegler wrote in the immediate aftermath.  That was borne out by the final calculation in the exit polling as well as the vote itself.  The partisan split in the electorate was 38/32/29, nearly identical to 2008.  We argued that Barack Obama and Democrats couldn’t win a base turnout election again, but they did, as evidenced by Mitt Romney’s five-point win among independents, 50/45.  Romney even lowered the gender gap from an Obama +14 in 2008 to Obama +4 in 2012, but that clearly wasn’t enough to overcome what now looks to be a significant realignment four years ago towards Democrats and not an anomaly.

This time, Republicans can’t blame the candidate, or at least they shouldn’t.  Mitt Romney ran one of the most well-organized national campaigns in recent memory within the GOP.  He raised prodigious amounts of cash, keeping pace with Obama.  The RNC followed suit, building a massive and impressive GOTV effort that really did produce a big increase in turnout — but not enough to match what Democrats did in this cycle.  Republicans blamed John McCain in 2008 and even George Bush for the bailouts, but those fig leaves are gone, and the realignment is too apparent to ignore.

That reality presents a challenge to the GOP and to conservatives.  We do not need to change our values, but we do need to find ways to communicate them in an engaging and welcoming manner.  We need to think creatively about big issues, philosophy, and how we can relate conservative values to the needs of a wider range of voters.  Conservatism cannot become constrictionism, or the realignment will continue, and it will become ever more difficult to win national elections.

This will require a new set of national leaders for the Republican Party and conservatism.  We need men and women who can think creatively, produce a positive agenda that isn’t defined by an oppositional nature, and who can eloquently communicate that agenda and the values that drive it.  That should be our focus over the next two years before we start thinking about who to nominate as the party’s presidential nominee — and if done properly, that process will naturally produce the right leader for conservatism.  And if that is done properly, too, perhaps we’ll be in position for another realignment four years from now.

Update: Some readers feel I owe them an apology for “misleading” them about polling over the last few months.  I kind of assumed that this post served as a mea culpa for getting it wrong by explaining why it happened.  Very obviously, I misread the shift in the electorate.  I wasn’t the only one who did so, but I did, and I do apologize for getting it wrong.  However, I didn’t set out to mislead anyone.  What I wrote was my honest opinion about how the polls were based on assumptions of the electorate with which I disagreed — and I’ll note that I linked to the source data every time, and that readers were certainly free to draw their own conclusions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8 12

Obama won’t last 4 years. He’ll be impeached or he’ll resign because once we go over that fiscal cliff and everyone points at HIM, he won’t be able to stand the heat.

And whatever will he do when he has absolutely NO reason to jet around the world on AF-1? What will he do when he actually has to govern? This is going to be fun to watch. I give him 18 months to resign or be impeached. Maybe even sooner. Urkel don’t gots no spine.

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Impeached for what? Benghazi will be shutdown just as Fast & Furious was…just as Solyndra was.

We no longer live in a rational America.

Our Free Press is the enemy of the people.

We are no longer a reliable ally of principled integrity.

We are no longer protected by our constitution or our common traditions.

Secular Statism has won this degenerate generation and like other “Godless Nations” we will continue to decline.

Businesses will go Galt and Balkanization of this country will continue.

More children will continue to be born into bastardy and through unnatural means that degrade the roles of mother and father.

Reality TV and Bamaphones won the next 4 years.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I know the people have voted and that is it. But I have been thinking about how things went so wrong. I finally found the answer this morning; “The People of Walmart”. I’m not blaming the owners of the site, what I means is – The actual “People of Walmart”. These people exist and it’s a snap shot of our society and they’re all F*cking crazy, scum, uninformed zombies. This country is going the way of a socialistic, lunatic, lazy society and I’m afraid we can’t stop it.

49 million on food stamps, millions on disability, and an EBT Card society. I think we lost our country last night and there is only one way to stop the liberals from finishing us. Stop spending our money, as much as we can. I’m stopping my spending on all but necessities; gas, food (No more eating out), and my home. I’m canceling my cable, home phone, and getting a trac-phone. Outside of that I’ll make due with what I have and let things slide to the point our economy falls deeper.

It’s not ideal, but when the people who are pulling the cart decide to stop. The lazy bastards in the cart will no longer have that economic free ride.

At this point I’ve decided to stop pulling that cart.

Tbone McGraw on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Akin was not the Tea party backed candidate, that was Sarah Steelman. He didn’t lose because of his “conservatism” he lost because he was a loon.

Murdock same thing. There are plenty of conservatives who win statewide just fine.

BTW how did the great “RINO” hopes Scott Brown, and Tommy Thompson do?

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Thank you.

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

This is what makes me wonder if there was a problem with base turnout. At the VERY LEAST he should have matched McCain’s performance and he failed to do it. Did these people just stay home? Did they not vote? What happened?

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I am not saying jump the gun, but what I said was simple. Romney could not articulate conservatism. Ronald Reagan won in landslides in a much more democratic electorate then now, and do you realize that if Romney got the number of votes McShame got he would have won OH, FL, and VA.

Romney was the reason. With an assist from RINO extraordinaire Christie.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I think it’s time to split into north U.S. and south U.S.

txag92 on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I am in complete agreement with you.

JAGonzo on November 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hey now, Don’t clump Alaska in this. But then Alaska may as well be a territory again.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Let’s face it Obama won because the press covers his crimes and incompetence…

MaiDee on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

It’s true. And every Obama voter I know is an unmitigated dumb*ss because of it.

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Will we come back? I hope so but not until they realize the well can run dry. I don’t agree that we can convince them we are right. Ssomething outside of our control will have to change things for them. They are happy in the now and don’t care about the future.
It’s a sad day for America.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yes, if Romney had been conservative and if he had fought he could have won.

That said, you are right in that the moochers are gaining ground and they will vote based on race, ideology and getting a government paycheck.

Its balkanization and it may end the same way Yugoslavia ended. I don’t see how to heal the breaches we are seeing develop?

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

There are a lot of good thoughts and analysis in the above comments.

My own view is that the GOP should not change their ideology; that is, they should not move into the social issues but remain focused on the legitimate areas of a federal government: the economy, foreign affairs, defense, national infrastructures.

The GOP should state that social areas are open to debate, and that these decisions belong in the hands of the people – at the local or state level. Not at the federal level.

What Obama, an incompetent clinical narcissist has done, is that he has moved into the economic base of the USA, distorting and almost destroying it by breaking up the economic triad of Investment, Production and Consumption. Instead of Investment coming from within the USA, it’s ‘outsourced’ and China is the key source of Investment funding for the USA! Americans now owe trillions in debt to foreign nations! Instead of Production being based in the USA, his massive regulations and corporate taxes have caused businesses to collapse and/or flee the USA. So, there are no jobs. This has resulted in a population alienated from the basic economic capacity of a nation.

Then, he set up an enormous and growing electoral base of people utterly dependent on government funding. These people are not engaged in the two basic phases of the economy: Investment and Production. They are only engaged in the final phase: Consumption. And, they need government funding for this, as they have been removed from participation in Ivestment and Production.

And then, Obama has ‘softened’ this dependent electorate by his focus on social issues; that government will allow them to do anything, have anything, whether it’s food stamps or housing or abortions – at no cost to them.

This is not economically sustainable. But, what we had with this election was a population in fear. Without jobs, and with no prospects for work, a huge majority of the population are dependent on government funding; they were afraid of losing this, and the GOP, though Romney told them he would enable them to regain their self-strength and jobs…couldn’t cross this bridge of fear.

I don’t think the GOP should change; it should remain committed to small government, low taxes, less govt intrusion, support for small businesses – and keep social issues in the hands of the people not government.

What will change? That carrying capacity of the economy to support a dependent population. It can’t last.

As for Obama – since his only capacity is to campaign, and since he’s inable to participate in policy and program development, what will he do with himself in this new term? Golf? While Valerie Jarrett runs the place?

ETAB on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I’m finished engaging with you. You have an excuse for everything and clearly don’t want to accept even the slightest amount of responsibility for the candidates you enthusiastically supported.

Have fun in the bubble.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Here is a that has been on my mind.

Now that we know Obama has it for another 4 yrs, when are the nations who hate the US going to start enacting the possibility of war?

I have a feeling it is inevitable.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Impeachment would be a farce and a failure anyway. The house can impeach, but the senate has the final say. What’s the D/R breakdown there? Oh, yeah.

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

McCain got more voted in 08 because he picked a VP that filled in the gaps of his political resume. Just like every winning gop president has ever.

Romney’s Ryan pick didn’t help the ticket. Romney was already strong in all the areas Ryan was.

Both good men. But they mirror each other.

Romney should have picked Newt or Perry ws his VP.

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I think the only choice is to let the people have what they asked for. Allow the Dems to raise everyone’s taxes and unemployment to skyrocket. Inflation, Death Panels, gas prices, energy prices, etc. Then we will ask the people if they enjoy liberalism. And maybe then we can get a truly conservative congress and president.

jeffn21 on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Agreed. The Republican’s actually ensured his re-election by not allowing him to completely tank the economy.

Except for the following counter-points:
1. the majority electorate is unable to discern cause/effect
2. the Republican are awful at messaging and somehow will fail to connect the dots for the ignorant electorate.

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I disagree. If it was as difficult for other conservatives to vote for Romney as it was for me, I can easily believe that a big chunk of them stayed home. Voting for the “lesser of two evils” doesn’t work for a lot of folks, especially after G.W.Bush and Captain Amnesty.

dogsoldier on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I voted all Republican except Romney. That I left blank. I refused to vote for the father of Obama Care. I never for a second believed he would repeal it. Romney lied time after time. Only got money from one federal agency he said in the debate when in Mass he bragged about getting money from every agency even a million from the Dept of Education. His ads set a new low in the Primaries. False and dirty.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

You’d at least be as far removed from the nuttiness on the continent as you could get and still be Americans.

Like for example Hawaii is an island but they won’t get much isolation.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Dow down 200. Great choice, America!

Django on November 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Out of almost 120 Million votes cast, we lost by a total of, at current counts since Colorado isn’t done reporting, 355,000 votes, give or take, total across Ohio, Virgina, Colorado and Florida.

You’re not being intellectually honest if you:

- Don’t believe that’s within the margin of fraud.
- Don’t believe the media carrying Obama’s water won this election
- Don’t believe low information voters won this for Obama

We’re screwed. I expect the rising costs to bankrupt me. I’ve been working feverishly to unload all my debt and get fully upright financially since my divorce, but with the way taxes and inflation are screaming towards me, I’m not going to get it done.

PastorJon on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Have fun in the bubble.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

You aren’t accepting the slightest amount of responsibility for the candidate/s you supported either, Mr. KingGold. Why should she bend to you? Because you know it all, correct?

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yeah exactly. The S.S. Impeachment sailed in the first year of Obama’s reign, and she is loooong gone now.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

As a rule I avoid anything by that loony blowhard Ziegler. dude’s 15 minutes have been up for a while.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

wanna win young people and minorities? stop being a party stuck in the stone age (racist, homophobic, bible-thumping, anti-gay marriage and marijuana legalization) or prepare for a long wilderness, GOP.

DBear on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Well, wasn’t that the Libertarian platform for the past XX years?

So what does the last Libertarian ex-President say about that? Oh, wait….

It isn’t just about message; its about the messenger…and the who the message is aimed at.

I’ve always said there’s a “silent minority” in the AA community..and we ARE there…but right now, we lost a whole generation to the Great Society machinations…Billions of Dollars spent on fraud and waste over the decades have brought apathy to a whole new level.

That’s why I could never be in charge: I’d be tempted to write the whole damn thing off and try to save the next Gen…if the country is to advance (let alone survive) we need to smash the education/entertainment monopoly and show there IS another way.

Until then, would i be surprised if they try to FDR this Administration into a 3rd term? Not a darn bit.

BlaxPac on November 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I sent an email to your yahoo address. Let me know if you get it.

Here is a that has been on my mind.
I have a feeling it is inevitable.
upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Only a matter of time. What “flexibility” will Obama use with Russia? When will Iran or another M.E. country attack Israel? Terrorism has happened here (Ft Hood, Arkansas recruiter shootings) & abroad (Benghazi), and Obama did nothing. It’s going to be ugly.

conservative pilgrim on November 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Well right back at you baby. Go sign up for the No Labels party, maybe you can get your dream ticket of: Alphonso Huntsman and Meghan McCain nominated.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Clinton was Impeached for far far less than this President has done. This is not about a sexual affair. This is straight up ignoring the Constitution and the death of people as a result.

Sure the Senate would not convict but no impeachment and this will be swept under the rug and the Democrats will win in 2014 and from then on.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Agree with many on here that you can’t blame Romney. He ran a better campaign than Obama, he destroyed him in the debates, he’s a much better human being than Obama. I think that 20 years ago he would have won handily.

Look, the societal change has occurred. While it’s obvious that the Dems are the party of racists, they’ve successfully created a wedge between Republicans and minorities. They’ve done it through duplicitous means. You’ve got to accept that. While I understand not supporting gay marriage doesn’t make you a homophobe, they’ve managed to convince a large portion of the population that it does. What harm can it do to cede that issue? Gays are still going to get together. What does it matter if they now have a contract between them? How does it hurt you? If you don’t believe in it, then just don’t practice it on your own. Besides, I would argue that the real conservative position is that the federal government shouldn’t have a role in determining that in the first place. Anyway, we all know that these are just distractions and tactics used by the Left to drive wedges between certain segments of the population. Unfortunately, they’ve been successful. The key is to believe in the ideas of limited government. We all know that the principles espoused by our founding fathers are the best principles for governing, and that the Left cannot maintain the status quo. Wait them out. They will wreck the economy. Look at the value of the dollar just today with the threat of more QE on the horizon. These Leftists are playing with fire and they’re about to get burned. They’ve promised various entitlements to all of these special interest groups and they’re not going to be able to deliver.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Typical RINO, everything is the “conservatives fault” despite the fact that the last two elections we ran “moderates.” But no. It’s always those icky “conservatives”

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The D’s won with blacks, hispanics, youth and single women. AGAIN.

Hillary is now a shoe-in for 2016. How to stop that I have no idea.

The only winning formula for the Republican’s is a minority that is a fiscal conservative and a social libertarian. I know of no one in that regard. But that formula could still not overcome Hillary.

Obama can now take the sword for Benghazi and protect Hillary. He was inept and lied to the American people, but the majority don’t seem to mind that and actually expect it. Won’t change their vote.

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I’m accepting the fact that our party – my party – has some serious systemic problems we need to deal with. Romney ran a good campaign – he won independents – but the numbers are against us and will be in the foreseeable future if we don’t act.

Could Romney have been better? Sure. Just like Obama could have been worse. But as I’ve already detailed, nobody in that primary save perhaps Pawlenty could have duplicated or surpassed Romney’s performance. Their ideology aside, we had a lot of defective candidates in 2012.

I won’t sit here and listen to people shutting out reality and thinking they can slough everything off on “Romney and the RINOs.” It’s a sure way not to learn anything.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I’m sure you’re not alone.

dogsoldier on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Boehner must use the Power of the Purse to deny the next debt ceiling increase. Either the country will promptly go into cheap-money detox, soon to return to free market, or Obama will go into full dictator mode and override the House “for the good of the people”. And since the latter is inevitable anyway, the sooner it happens the better – while some citizens still own guns.

Archivarix on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Its the American people, I think. Easily led about, unserious people.

LilyBart on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

In essence, the election results showed that Americans have become a predominently Common people, where unseriousness merits praise, and vulgarity is the norm.

LilyBart, the phrase “unserious people” is the one that has eluded me, so thanks. (Also thanks to the poster who quoted H. L. Mencken.)

Lightswitch on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Class warfare and envy took the day. Obysmal’s message of being “fair” resonated with the resentful and the vengeance seekers.

Anecdotally, I know of several people who chose not to vote. They don’t like Obysmal and the state of the nation, but they bought the drumbeat that the Republicans are “extreme” and that they are too rich to connect with Joe Sixpack. I couldn’t convince them that a no vote at all was a vote for Obysmal.

Romney and Ryan had a positive message to turn the nation around economically, but it couldn’t be heard above the media’s cover of Obysmal’s sorry record and promotion of Obysmal’s vague promises.

In PA, the lies and buzz words in Bob Casey Jr.’s ads played on economic resentments. The majority of his support comes from those who rely on television for their news and their uncritical acceptance that the Dems will look out for “the little people.”

onlineanalyst on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Obama won middle and working class voters. According to exit polls Obama won all the voters who make under 60,000 a year. The Reagan Democrat is no more.

libfreeordie on November 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Not true. We exist. But it appears we are an endangered species. I never actually got to vote for Reagan but I grew up during his presidency.

As for our message, I don’t know. I’ve tried talking to younger people I work with and they are all socially liberal and that’s the direction they vote. They are even financially conservative and still vote for social issues. I mean, they are all about the social stuff because they don’t want to take the time to understand the financial stuff. They don’t think the bad stuff can happen because it hasn’t happened to them yet. They don’t think critically about the cause and effect of things. It is human nature to learn the hard way.

There’s a certain philosophy to our government that requires reflection on one’s self and country which takes time to foster and grow. Faith helps with this because it is in and of itself it is teaches self reflection. People my age, mid 30s, and younger don’t have the patience for philosophy and self reflection. They want what they want instantly. And most times they get it. I look at my generation and those coming after me and lose hope.

ConDem on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Yep. I don’t know what I’m going to do exactly, but I will be stockpiling certain goods (because a lot of stuff is going to get more expensive), and trying to figure out how to make all the under-the-table cash that I can. This is settled for a few years. I advise people to start figuring out ways to look out for “number one” for the term. Save yourself as best you can because the nation is in peril. Fiscal survival through this mess is priority one.

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

My thoughts:

1. I am stunned by the D +6 turn-out. Did Protestants really never get over the fact that Romnery is a mormon?

2. Enough with the gay marriage and pro-life stance everywhere. 2 Senate candidates lost because they felt the need to talk about these issues to pander to a base that did not even adequately turn out. Enough already. If we believe in federalism, lets make it clear that these are state issues and whatever the states decide, we are okay with. We need to stop giving Democrats all single-issue voters. And conservatives have to stop pretending those issues are winners in more than 30 states.

3. In regards to the demographics (72% white), the Republicans have no ones to blame but themselves. They allowed the Democrats to pass policies that got us to this point. Immigration used to be about bringing in the best and brightest, now it is about bringing in only new Democrats. Shut up with the “we love legal immigration” theme, and work to change the theme to “we love legal immigrants who will contribute something more to America than becoming loyal Democratic voters.”

4. Hopefully Kennedy, Scalia and Thomas can hang in there.

5. Obama’s second term should be as bad as Bush’s, and if the Republicans smarten up, 2016 might be an election similar to 2008.

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

93% of blacks and 70% of hispanics voted against the white guy and for the brown guy. Your “big issues” and “philosophy” don’t f-ing matter! They are irrelevant. It’s so precious how white moderates can’t get this throught their heads. “Gee, we just need to communicate better.”

Your ideas don’t matter to those voters, your race matters. The rest is secondary at best. To pretend that the 93% of blacks voting for the black guy care about “big ideas” is completely asinine.

This was almost entirely a racial vote and a racial victory and that’s America’s future.

Django on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Dj,

It’s not about race. It’s about ideology and “free stuff”.

I went back and looked at the 1996, 2000, & 2004 elections. You know what?

The lowest margin for blacks going for Dem;s was 88%. 88%!

Obama had 95%.

Freaking John ” I Married a Billionaire” Kerry got 90% of the black vote.

It’s all ideology and “free stuff”, oh and abortions, don’t forget the abortions.

WisRich on November 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

The post mortems should begin here. Obama got 10 million fewer votes than in 2008. Mitt lost because he got 3 million fewer votes than McCain, who was obviously a very weak candidate. Who are the 6% of Republicans who wouldn’t vote for Mitt Romney. How do Republicans correct this? Can we?

Basilsbest on November 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM

So KingGold who is your extra special Republican savior.. John Huntsman? Jeez. Martin is going to finish ASOIAF before we elect another Republican.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

You can’t.

Why not.

Romney missed no opportunity to talk about how Great Obama is. Just in over his head.

Romney had nearly identical positions to Obamas if you listened closely he responded to the ad about the woman that died saying she would have been covered under Mass Care. That made it clear he would never repeal Obama Care.

Romney was the sixth Establishment Republican to lose the Presidency in a row.

But no do not blame the loser for losing. No blame the American People. You know those that gave us a majority in the House and State level government in 2010. Why did those people not vote for Mitt if Mitt was NOT the problem?

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Mormon issue.. bigots basically.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You know what, I really don’t give a crap about the state of “the Republican party.” In D.C., they have outed themselves as a a bunch of spineless, complicit dealmakers–Boehner, McConnell, McCain, Lady Lindsey and the whole ball-less bunch of them.
I care about my country, which is slipping away, and I care about the future for my young kids, who are too precious to be saddled with enduring the rotten world that has resulted from the elitist ruling class in D.C. and the rank stupidity of American-Idol/Honey-Boo-Boo voters.
And I care about the fact that Valerie Jarrett, an EVIL, America-hating Iranian bent on destroying our nation, is the real president, doing everything for the fraudulent front man from devising destructive policy to wiping his behind when he gets off the can.

It would be nice if Hot Air has spent more time calling attention to this evil, Middle-Eastern Satan destroying our nation from the inside, but I know Ed is too much concerned with maintaining his even-handed, fair-minded reputation to tackle real threats like this.

Right Mover on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I’m going to channel some Steve Ballmer with some Mark Steyn inspiration: culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture, culture.

LaughterJones on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Catholics broke for O. Idiots signing their own death warrant.

megthered on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

They went for O by 54-45 in ’08. I thought that might change. Sorry Catholics, but your church no longer stands for its own doctrine.

Your rank and file is no longer a majority pro-life.

Your charities and hospitals are about to be subjugated by the Obama machine.

Congratulations.

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Catholics in Union regions voted Union over their church.

Hispanics voted Amnesty and minority resentment over their church.(Many illegals in NV were coerced by unions to break the law, this has been uncovered by a NV reporter)

Liberal Catholics voted their lady parts over their church.

Pope Benedict XVI will continue to purge the liberal disease but Traditional Catholic Institutions are dead in America. There will be schism in the American Catholic Church that will seem to mirror the Anglican schism and will lead many to either confusion or heresy. This happened in Latin America. Pope Benedict XVI has said we will be a smaller church but maybe we need to be until we have purged the liberals and the corruption.

We’ll have to go hedge schools for a while to educate our young.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Improvise, adapt, and overcome. Higher tax rates on the “wealthy” are coming as are slews of regulations. Get used to it and figure out how to work around them when you can.

Germany. Not Greece.

Dukeboy01 on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Survival. Yes. I’m so very sad, but even at my age, I’ll try to figure out how to survive in this Brave New World.

One thing someone has got to come up with before they shut down the internet (and they will) is an underground. The only thing allowed will be the viscious, the depraved, the gangs. I think my biggest concern for survival in the near future is gas and food. After 2013, you all better be prepared for the serious consideration of the Democrat proposal to take over 401K’s—after all, you didn’t save that. It’s a tusnami…and BTW, no one has mentioned that we have all been fingered as “racists”. How do you think that’s going to play out when the thought police get organized?

Portia46 on November 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

First Akin and then the Mourdock reminder. That shadow was cast upon the entire Republican line-up.

We need to be strict with our Federalism and let the states do as they please as originally intended.

A non-liberal social agenda being driven from Washington is a losing message going forward.

We may not like that, but the ship is sinking. We need to be willing to cut off a few digits (states) in order to save the host (country).

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I am going through the “f” you stage of this now, let them burn, give them everything they want, but then I think of my 20 and 17 year old when they are my age and what that would do to them and it breaks my heart to think that way… I am hoping time will make this easier and I can continue to fight for what is right..

momof2 on November 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I see no sign of that here.

No do not blame Mitt the Establishment Candidate.

Blame the voters.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Okaaay, because I had one widdle word in my last post that would make Charles Johnson wet his pants, it went into moderation:

What I said was essentially, bread-and-circus voters won’t stop showing up for looter politicians until the government bakery and Circus Maximus are ashes one fine morning.

We can hasten the end of the circuses through making red states a haven of non-enforcement for piracy of media: music, movies, software, books, and the like. All of the above industries are heavy Democrat donors, and heavy Democrat boosters. Why should we protect their profits? We talk about long-term education of the youth, but we may not have time for that anymore. We need to hit these industries in the pocketbook. Piracy, and the fear of piracy, are destroying Hollywood. Let’s hasten this.

We can end the bread through red states doubling their interstate prices for their products and services, or taking their commerce in-state. This may bring the tanks, and that s-word that makes Charles Johnson sad. Let it happen. Let 0bama choose to either use the Army to help stop food ri0ts in Northern cities or arrest Rick Perry—he will find he can’t do both.

Sekhmet on November 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE CANDIDATE. THE PROBLEM IS THE COALITION.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE CANDIDATE. THE PROBLEM IS THE COALITION.
THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE CANDIDATE. THE PROBLEM IS THE COALITION.

I’m going to repeat this constantly until the Romney-blamers understand.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Excuse me those voters stayed home. The conservatives were told clearly by what was done to those two that Mitt did not want their vote. This is why Mitt lost. Why Republicans in general lost. Establishment Republicans cast out the Tea Party and lost as a result.

We need to reverse that and tell them we do want their votes.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

You can’t.

Why not.

Romney was the sixth Establishment Republican to lose the Presidency in a row.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

You make good points. I voted Gary Johnson (I live in MD so relax – it wasn’t going Romney anyway). I don’t think that there were really stark differences between them in terms of what they’d actually do in office. But, what you’re failing to realize is that it’s a choice between two people. And while Mitt had some positions with which I disagree, you cannot ignore the fact that we have now reached at least 7.9% unemployment, avg. household income has gone down, there is a shrinking middle class, we’re now over $16 trillion in debt, we now have an executive branch who can legally assassinate American citizens overseas, and we’re reaping the results of our intervention in Libya (and we probably will soon in Syria as well). I thought he did a good job of continuously pointing this out. That, in and of itself, should have been enough for the majority of Americans to vote for the challenger.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Be real. Hillary is unbeatable. She gets all of the Bill and Obama good-will.

Women … her kind of women (liberal) … all love her and they apparently are the majority.

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Mitt Romney and the Establishment was the Problem.
Mitt Romney and the Establishment was the Problem.
Mitt Romney and the Establishment was the Problem.

Mitt Romney and the Establishment was the Problem.

Mitt Romney and the Establishment was the Problem.

Will post this till people understand. Establishment lose every stinking time we stupidly nominate them

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Romney was the reason. With an assist from RINO extraordinaire Christie.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

…and don’t forget that the folks at Hot Air were telling us how wonderful Romney was and how PUMPED ppl were over him….so pumped that he got over 3 million fewer votes than McCain/Palin…

callingallcomets on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

It’s hard to believe last night happened.

The 2 things Romney had going for him was he had the establishment backing for fund raising and he was a businessman in a year where jobs mattered.

But there were 3 things against him. Things that many here warned about. He would be painted as a rich guy who was greedy, who got his money unfairly and didn’t care or understand the people. He gave his state Romneycare which took away our biggest weapon against Obama, Obamacare. And (like it or not) his Mormon faith might have made a few of our side stay home. We will never know that. But this race was razor close and 10 million less people voted than in 2008. We don’t know who they were. His faith was an unknown factor and we didn’t need that this year.

And he burned a lot of conservative bridges during the primary when he ruthlessly lied about our candidates and bought the election. Some didn’t forget and stayed home. Florida maybe? Even if it wasn’t a lot, in a close race, who knows.

Razor close.

Romney won the popular vote. If Colorado, Ohio and Virginia had 100,000 more votes each for Romney and Florida had 150,000 more votes, Romney would have won the election. Out of 120 million who voted, LESS THAN HALF A MILLION VOTES DECIDED IT. And (again) 10 million LESS PEOPLE VOTED than in 2008.

Romney and McCain were not clear choices against Obama. Pale pastels, not bold colors. Tired old candidates. When will the moderate Republicans wake up?

I know the country’s changed since Reagan, but it had changed before Reagan too. In the 65 years before Newt, we only had a Republican House 4 years and that was 40 years before Newt. That was the point. Newt voiced conservatism and had a plan of action. Reagan won because people wanted real conservative change and he voiced it sincerely and effectively. And was reelected in a landslide. This year should have been a redo of 1980, since we had Carter II.

Still Romney performed better than I thought he would. In fact, in the last 3 weeks, I thought he would win. Something I never think for my side. Was it the storm? Hard to believe, but who knows. More importantly, the base was energized against Obama, but might have been more energized with a conservative. The Ryan pick helped and was the best move he made.

He missed several opportunities to attack Obama (like on Benghazi during the debates and afterwards), but he didn’t have the likeability factor or everyman factor, so he had to come off as nice, I guess. He had more backbone than McCain, at least.

But 2 things happened this election cycle that might have changed the outcome of this election. 2 things that make me wonder if this outcome was an act of God for some reason. A chastisement. I am religious, but I never see elections in this light. But I still can’t shake this thought that came to me last night.

Spring of 2011, Rick Perry was poised to take the nomination. He was the compromise candidate for the Republican establishment and Tea Party. He had everything Romney had. Establishment backing and connections for fundraising. Record of job growth in his huge state in a year when jobs mattered. He had 10 years experience as a successful executive.

Plus he had the things Romney didn’t. Especially the fact that he didn’t have Romneycare hung around his neck.

Perry had 10 years successful political experience in a huge state and knew his way around doubletalk to get elected. He had the likeability and every man factor. Americans think Texans are allowed to be conservative socially, so it’s forgiven. He was conservative to energize the base. Not a perfect conservative, but that is a rare thing. He was a Tea Partier, for sure.

But it wasn’t Perry’s year. He had that back surgery Summer of 2011 and was on pain meds and wasn’t up to par when he launched his campaign and jumped into the debates. He became and instant joke.

Between Perry’s back problems and Hurricane Sandy possibly taking away Romney momentum, I think this outcome was meant to be for some strange reason.

God bless this country and may God have mercy on us. Let’s shake it off people. I don’t think our country will ever be the same again. Hard to see right minded Republicans ever winning the Presidency or Senate in this country much again. Especially when the decks are stacked against us even in our own party, no less the liberal country.

But we can still protect it to some degree. And we must always fight for it and our families’ future. To make them as good as it possible, even if they will never be the same.

Never give up, never give up, never EVER give up.

And remember that all things are possible with God. You never know what the future holds. Strange things happen in politics and in life. For good and for bad. I could be wrong. Maybe this country can be what it was. Who could have ever predicted a President Obama 5 years ago, before he took the nomination from Hillary? Who could have predicted Clinton would be president when it was going to be Cuomo or Gore back then, who decided not to run because of the Gulf War Bush approval numbers. Who could have predicted Newt Gingrich being Speaker of the House after 65 years of almost total Dem domination and liberalism.

Maybe we might have a pleasant surprise in the next 10 years. If we last that long. lol

Prayer and fasting and hard work, my friends.

Elisa on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Okay.. so who is your savior to get a bigger coalition? M’kay.

BTW, if I hear anyone blaming Ryan for this, you will hear my wrath. And no Palin didn’t help. She was a huge drag on the ticket mainly because of Schmidt’s lack of prepping her. It was an ugly cynical move.on McCain’s part and ruined Palin’s career.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE CANDIDATE.

I’m going to repeat this constantly until the Romney-blamers understand.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Yeah it was the candidate.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I’m hoping for a legitimate, conservative, constitutional third party. If I find it, I’m joining. Sure we’ll lose early and often. But what the hell, I’m losing now anyway.

I’d rather go down with a ship I believe in.

predator on November 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

No we are down to 7.9%.

That is the new normal.

I remember well the disaster that was GW Bush. How much I ended hating him in his second term. How he lost the House then the Senate then everything to the Democrats. He became Establishment and lost all three branches filibuster proof even. An unmitigated disaster. GW Bush gave us Obama as his parting gift. Mitt Romney was far more liberal and would have been a far worst President than GW Bush.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Post this to all your FB statuses:

“Do me a favor. In 4 years, if the national debt is $20 trillion, the unemployment rate has dipped below 7% since 2012, and the Democratically controlled Senate hasn’t passed a budget in 4 years, don’t blame the GOP. Vote GOP.”

Nethicus on November 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

oh one last thing… you all can blame W for this loss. His attacks on gay marriage and starting 2 wars (1 completely unnecessary) soured the GOP for young people for good.

DBear on November 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The Americans that voted for Obama do not care about the Constitution.

The Americans that voted for Obama prefer MSNBC Agitprop and think this is news.

Obama will do everything he can to shut down Murdoch/FOX and Rush Limbaugh (Conservative Talk Radio)and control the Internet…

When liberals lose their twitter they might be a little upset and then they’ll see that the IRS through Obamacare has access to their bank accounts and they’ll say

Whaaaa?

Potheads…Gays…Ladyparts…Unions…Bamaphones…
hipsters…and resentful atheists won the culture wars and balkanized regions.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I think the biggest headline of the night was the fact that voter turnout was down about 15-20 million voters since 2008. Lots of people stayed home instead of voted. That’s hardly a ringing endorsement of Obama’s policies, and it’s certainly a condemnation of the GOP primary and GOTV efforts.

Nethicus on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I don’t think Democrats won the base turnout. I think their base is just much, much larger than the Republican base now.

The enthusiasm gap was real, and it didn’t even matter.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Bingo… it did not even matter that Romney won the independents.. its going to matter even lesser in the coming Presidential elections.

2008 was no fluke and neither is 2012.America is now permanently a left of center country – there is no way we can deny this fact. Socialized health care is the next step and Obamacare which has now won victories in both the Supreme Court as well as a national election is a permanent fixture of the welfare state.

Worse, the GOP is going to be asked to sign its own death warrant by providing legal amnesty to millions of hispanics. if they cave in on this, they are not going to be rewarded…they might end up losing what ever support they do have from conservatives. If they do not grant amnesty, this will be FURTHER used to drive hispanics away from the GOP.

Esentially, the GOP is facing the Hobson’s choice.And the country’s two party system may no longer be relevant at the national level. Liberals like Thomas Friedman are already salivating over such a prospect.

nagee76 on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The problem wasn’t the candidate, because whatever problems Romney had they paled in comparison to how poor of a candidate Obama was. The problem is that the Left is dominating the message through their infiltration of the media and the school system. That is what has led to this changing culture which demands more entitlements from the government, without looking at the long-term damaging effects of that demand. You will never be able to out-entitle them. And please don’t attempt it. I don’t want another Tory party here in the US. Bide your time. In the words of the great Jeremiah Wright, “America’s chickens … will come home to roost”.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Okay, now that’s beginning to border on being reasonable, however, disagree on Pawlenty. He’d of been worse than Romney. Dudes don’t fight. And Dems managed to get their ‘defective’ candidates elected. How do you explain Bellevue Hospital-escapee, Grayson?

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The problem was lack of conservative turnout as shown in the 38/32 D to R split!

WTF???

For all you so called conservatives who refused to vote AND support ROmney this is YOUR FAULT!

You gave us 4 more years of the worst president in history.

THanks for nothing.

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Democrats will do and say anything to be elected. They have the press in their pockets. Their angry bitterness has worked for them. A sunny disposition and a willingness to “reach out” to minorities and women will not overcome this. Now that the worst president in modern times has gained reelection using the Democrat’s tried and true formula, they will be emboldened to double-down on it the next time.

littleguy on November 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Nethicus on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I agree. This year should have seen more turnout, not less.

Elisa on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Apologies if this has been posted before but I think it’s really appropriate.

“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people, by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations.” James Madison

EnglishRogue on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Did you vote for Romney?

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Until we get a grip on our disaster of an election system, nothing will change. We’ll never know the magnitude of the fraud that took place during this election.

Knowing that the votes of thousands of military members serving overseas were not counted is enough to make me lose faith in the entire system.

labrat on November 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The Americans that voted for Obama do not care about the Constitution.

Whaaaa?

Potheads…Gays…Ladyparts…Unions…Bamaphones…
hipsters…and resentful atheists won the culture wars and balkanized regions.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

What is it with Establishment Republicans?

Do they just erase 2010 from their memories?

It is not the voters. The voters are about the same as in the Reagan years. They voted GOP in huge numbers just two years ago.

But then the Establishment destroyed the Tea Party. Bring back the Tea Party and we will win again only bigger.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

WisRich on November 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

But you just argued that 88% or 93% of blacks voted for free stuff. I think that’s racial. Any other groups vote in those proportions for free stuff?

I see what I believe to be a highly significant correlation.

freedomfirst on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I never for a second believed he would repeal it.

Steveangell

Looks like you were right. He’s not going to repeal it.

Irony alert. Clinton was impeached for lying under oath during a rape/sexual assault investigation. But yeah, it’s republicans who hate women.

By the way, is anyone listening to Neil Boortz? Is he a pig or what? Good thing he’s retiring soon.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

When are people going to learn that moderates don’t win??

Dole, McCain, Romney.

We would’ve won with a conseravative. Santorum and Newt would’ve fought maobama… they wouldn’t have given him a pass on Fast and Furious and Libya.

There’s a big problem when I’ve written more letters to the editor about Fast/Furious and Libya while Romney refused to even mention it!

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I sent an email to your yahoo address. Let me know if you get it.

I will let you know!

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

You gave us 4 more years of the worst president in history.

THanks for nothing.

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I voted for the turd. The turd was a turd, and not everyone thinks that Obama’s end game is going to be using DHS and 1.4 billions rounds of ammunition to make the final fundamental changes he desires.

Like I said in the beginning of the Romney primary victory period. Romney is a 2% difference to most people.

Healthcare, same.
Energy, same.
Regulations, same.
Minimum wage laws, worse.
Welfare state, same.
Entitlement state, same.

The fact is that by evidence of the turnout, it is not demographics that lost the election, but lack of enthusiasm for the candidate. That is the fault of the candidate, not the voters.

It was Romney’s job to show the voters that he would be better, he had nearly a billion dollars to make that case. Apparently about 4 million conservatives did not see the distinction, and last minute personality changes that make a candidate appear conservative for one single debate is not enough to carry the day.

Romney won the middle game, he lost the base turnout game. The middle is not enough.

astonerii on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

WTF???

You gave us 4 more years of the worst president in history.

THanks for nothing.

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I agree with you, that they should have voted. But it’s only half their fault.

The moderate establishment that refused to read the tea leaves and forced a moderate down our throats and Romney’s primary actions that alienated conservatives are equally to blame for conservatives staying home.

If less than half a million (out of 120 million voters) had voted differently in 4 states, Obama would have lost. If half a million more conservatives voted Obama would have lost. 10 million less people voted than in 2008. Should have been more voting.

and God bless Mark Levin.

Elisa on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Did you vote for Romney?

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Did I vote for the father of Obama Care and Gay Marriage.

No way.

But I voted for every other Republican on the ticket. Andy Harris won handily. His opponent voted in Florida and Maryland and had to leave the race at the last minute. But no there is no voter fraud.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

America reelects a disastrous leftist president and now the stock market is tanking. Dow down 242.

CNBC’s explanation for the selloff? “Stocks Drop Sharply on Worries About the ‘Fiscal Cliff’ and Europe’s Debt Crisis”

America is no longer a country interested in truth or reality. America will tell any lie to itself, no matter how insane, to rationalize its leftist beliefs.

Django on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yea, that must be why McCain/Palin recieved 3 million more votes than Romey/Ryan.

By the way, Palin’s still standing, Romney not so much.

idesign on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Key West Reader on November 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM
We no longer live in a rational America.
Our Free Press is the enemy of the people.
We are no longer a reliable ally of principled integrity.
We are no longer protected by our constitution or our common traditions.
Businesses will go Galt and Balkanization of this country will continue.
Reality TV and Bamaphones won the next 4 years.

workingclass artist on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Excellent post! This is spot on!

Rockshine on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

DBear on November 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Before you go. I decided to learn from you and the other Obama supporters. I am technically retired but sill work. I have decided to do what Obama voters think is a good idea. I am going to quit…so no more taxes for your programs from me. I will take my 401K and invest it over-seas…no more taxes for your porgrams. I will take my Social Security…hey that’s a good program right? I will take Medicare too…hey healthcare for all.

I am going to sell my small rental property to a guy who wants to make it Section 8…good program right? But no more taxes from that for your programs. Oh and I imagine he will kick out the couple who live there because they actually have jobs and won’t qualify. Or they could have a kid, quit working and then qualify. Sounds about right. As for me, I will invest that money overseas too.

So maybe I will also qualify for Medicaid…another great program right?

I should qualify for food stamps and I can move to an apartment that receives government subsidy for elderly. Well you get the idea. Now you just keep paying taxes for me, I’m glad I took your advice. But don’t worry, gay marriage will be legal so all is good. Oh and I’ll bet the government decides to subsidize abortions but that’s okay, you’ll be paying for them…I won’t.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I see what I believe to be a highly significant correlation.

freedomfirst on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

They certainly didn’t vote for jobs, if you look at their ever-increasing unemployment rate. (re blacks)

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The people of the hearltand, the middle class, the hard-working individuals are becoming a minority. When you see places like Philadelphia and Cleveland vote huge percentages for Obama, they are basically telling the rest of their state to eff off. These people want this, they want their goodies no matter what. They will never vote Conservative and right now they are the majority.

It’s a sad day for America.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yup, these urban, liberal areas like Chicago expect the rest of the state to fund it, and we’re racist if we complain or leave for the suburbs.

Where I have volunteered, the clients are minority groups and obviously, liberals. They come through the doors with an air of entitlement and expect the volunteers to do all the work and save them. No more. I will no longer use my efforts to save people who won’t save themselves and who hate Conservatives for trying to deny their freebies to them.

You’re right that these liberals/progressives are happy in the now and don’t look at their future. I just wonder what it will take for them to turn the corner. Where I volunteered, some clients return and want help again; they refuse to help themselves or change their behavior.

But there will always be somebody else for them to blame.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Elisa on November 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

At least you get it.

Thank you for your post.

The Tea Party proved in 2010 the GOP can win big.

But the Establishment banished them in 2012 as a result we lost.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

When are people going to learn that moderates don’t win??

Dole, McCain, Romney.

LevinFan on November 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Sorry, Levin. I know you’re passionate about it, but I think you’re dead wrong. Santorum and Newt would have gotten destroyed in the media. The reality is that the Left controls the majority of the media and they use it to paint the Republican contenders in a negative light early and often. You need to realize that these social issues that Santorum champions are losing issues. They’re going nowhere. Whether you like it or not, growing numbers in this country see no problem with allowing gays to marry. That’s just reality. And, the media is going to hang any Republican who opposes it, especially as vehemently as Santorum did.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Be real. Hillary is unbeatable. She gets all of the Bill and Obama good-will.

Carnac on November 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

No one is unbeatable. And I am not even sure Hilary runs. You just need a competent campaign, and Romney did not have one. Matt Rhoades, Fehrnstrom, etc… are all amateurs and got destroyed by a bunch of sleazebags from Chicago.

Regardless, if Obama is as big a disaster in his second term as his first (no reason to believe otherwise), this could be a lot like 2008.

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

My husband told me awhile back that some protestants would not vote for a Mormon, period. I don’t think I really believed him, but I guess I was wrong.

I agree with much of what you wrote, but in particular, I’ve been thinking a lot about your #2. I’ll enjoy reading other responses to it.

Lightswitch on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I don’t think he got that, Deanna. I hear the reception on Obamaphones is pretty crappy.

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

DouchebagBear

Don’t forget, he hates black people too and blew up the world trade center.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Along with a few others ,I tried to warn you for months that conservatives like Dick Morris ,Karl Rove ,Michael Barone ,Sean Hannity ,Rush ,George Will,Charles ( he is not as smart as he and other right wingers think he is)Krauthammer,Sarah Palin ,and a thousand right wing Hot Air posters were taking you for a ride with all their poll deconstructing and Romney predicting … Nate Silver was right there to listen to and you ignored him at your peril …

U2denver on November 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Django on November 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I predicted the market would tank today, and I fully expect it to be down by over 500 today.

The American people might be idiots, but investors certainly are not, and this President was, is, and will be a disaster when it comes to the economy.

milcus on November 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Agree with many on here that you can’t blame Romney.

If it’s indeed true that Romney got 3 million fewer votes than McCain, it may not be Romney’s failings as a candidate but a feeling that Obama wasn’t all that bad.

To us, it’s inconceivable. But all those reasons that the real Lefties hate Obama for continuing Bush policies are reasons centrists liked him — or liked him enough. In 2008, some Americans saw Obama as a New Black Panther ready to turn over the country to mujahideen, Rev. Wright, and the Nobel Peace Prize Committee. In 2012, he was far less scary.

For me at least, the big problem with Romney’s campaign was the commitment to expand the military. Maybe it’s necessary, but why did anyone think in a post-Iraq era that was a big vote-getter? And it undermined the argument for fiscal responsibility. That, along with the no-new-taxes pledges (for God’s sake, raise them a bit already), made his fiscal pitch seem irresponsible (please, no lectures about how tax increases kill growth — even if that was true, it loses us votes because of the fairness argument that everyone has to sacrifice).

bobs1196 on November 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

LaughterJones on November 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

From a PBS interview:

SEN. MOYNIHAN: [Let me] give you a little background. This is sort of academic, but it’s the real world too. In the 1964 Civil Rights Act, as it was going through a long process, a little clause was put in saying there should be a survey of equality of educational opportunity. We had to demonstrate how separate schools were inherently unequal. And that was before things progressed such that the law outlawed dual school systems. But the little provision was still in there.

And a friend of mine, James S. Coleman – a great sociologist – was asked to do this survey. And when he undertakes it, they said, “why are you doing this? Everybody knows these schools are unequal in their facilities and that’s why they’re unequal in their outcomes.” He said, “Well, everybody knows it, but now we’ll know it for once and all.”

And I’ll tell you, early one evening, there’s a reception at the Harvard Faculty Club, and Seymour Martin Lipset – the incomparable Marty Lipset – walks in, sees me, comes over and says, “You know what Coleman’s finding, don’t you?” And I said, “No.” He said, “It’s all family.”

And, indeed what [Coleman] found [was that] the predictor of educational achievement was to be found in family setting, structure, and so forth.

It’s an interesting interview.

Fallon on November 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

U2denver on November 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

So, what’s your point? You were right. They were wrong. You shouldn’t feel the need to gloat over it.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM