A few thoughts on the end of the campaign — and the beginning of a big challenge

posted at 8:01 am on November 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

In the final couple of weeks of the presidential campaign, we had a big debate over the nature of the American electorate, played out through polling criticism on both sides of the political divide. This came down to fundamental assumptions about which election cycle proved to be a realignment, and which turned out to be the anomaly.  Many conservatives — myself among them, to be sure — operated on the assumption that the 2008 election had been the anomaly, driven by the fiscal crisis, and corrected in the 2010 midterm elections.  The Left assumed that the fiscal crisis in 2008 had realigned the electorate toward greater government interventionism, and that the 2010 cycle was the anomaly, driven by a partisan fight over health care and the lack of a presidential contender at the top of the ticket.

Clearly, conservatives lost that argument last night, at least in large part, as John Ziegler wrote in the immediate aftermath.  That was borne out by the final calculation in the exit polling as well as the vote itself.  The partisan split in the electorate was 38/32/29, nearly identical to 2008.  We argued that Barack Obama and Democrats couldn’t win a base turnout election again, but they did, as evidenced by Mitt Romney’s five-point win among independents, 50/45.  Romney even lowered the gender gap from an Obama +14 in 2008 to Obama +4 in 2012, but that clearly wasn’t enough to overcome what now looks to be a significant realignment four years ago towards Democrats and not an anomaly.

This time, Republicans can’t blame the candidate, or at least they shouldn’t.  Mitt Romney ran one of the most well-organized national campaigns in recent memory within the GOP.  He raised prodigious amounts of cash, keeping pace with Obama.  The RNC followed suit, building a massive and impressive GOTV effort that really did produce a big increase in turnout — but not enough to match what Democrats did in this cycle.  Republicans blamed John McCain in 2008 and even George Bush for the bailouts, but those fig leaves are gone, and the realignment is too apparent to ignore.

That reality presents a challenge to the GOP and to conservatives.  We do not need to change our values, but we do need to find ways to communicate them in an engaging and welcoming manner.  We need to think creatively about big issues, philosophy, and how we can relate conservative values to the needs of a wider range of voters.  Conservatism cannot become constrictionism, or the realignment will continue, and it will become ever more difficult to win national elections.

This will require a new set of national leaders for the Republican Party and conservatism.  We need men and women who can think creatively, produce a positive agenda that isn’t defined by an oppositional nature, and who can eloquently communicate that agenda and the values that drive it.  That should be our focus over the next two years before we start thinking about who to nominate as the party’s presidential nominee — and if done properly, that process will naturally produce the right leader for conservatism.  And if that is done properly, too, perhaps we’ll be in position for another realignment four years from now.

Update: Some readers feel I owe them an apology for “misleading” them about polling over the last few months.  I kind of assumed that this post served as a mea culpa for getting it wrong by explaining why it happened.  Very obviously, I misread the shift in the electorate.  I wasn’t the only one who did so, but I did, and I do apologize for getting it wrong.  However, I didn’t set out to mislead anyone.  What I wrote was my honest opinion about how the polls were based on assumptions of the electorate with which I disagreed — and I’ll note that I linked to the source data every time, and that readers were certainly free to draw their own conclusions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 12

SCOTUS screwed us on health care, and with 2 potential nominations coming up, BO will make sure our constitution becomes more mincemeat.

Mekei on November 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Those who chose 4 more years of disaster can reap it, I’ll be protecting my own and withdrawing from the economy. Good luck.

Bishop on November 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Yep.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Oh, I was under the impression there was more to come .

Well, we got that “bombshell” video of Obama and that critical race theory guy, remember?

Mark1971 on November 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

EnglishRogue on November 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM

The voting public was fully aware of every one of those issues and STILL voted to reelect Obama.

chumpThreads on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Suuure they were. After September 11, Benghazi was only covered regularly on Fox. CBS and ABC have mentioned it only in passing. NBC has ignored it completely.

But it’s fine, Obama will continue to give 110% effort, and the country will keep humming along at its current pace.

hawksruleva on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I’ve been thinking this myself. Maybe the GOP should insist that if the Bush tax cuts get repealed it should be all of them, not just $250k plus.

Mark1971 on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Let the Dems decide how the taxes should be imposed. Just demand that total taxes be raised to cover current spending. The wealthy back Dems 2:1 anyway. Let them reap what they sow.

EddieC on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

The polls, which ended up being pretty accruate, showed a regular and consistent gap in favor of Republicans.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The polls did not really show a gap. They always favored Obama except for brief periods in October. There were rumblings this was coming months ago. We just chose not to listen.

I won’t totally blame Romney. He fought much harder than McCain and his campaign appeared to be a much better operation overall even if I don’t agree with some of his strategic choices. I found myself admiring how hard he worked and how determined he was to win even if I didn’t like his record.

But a ham sandwich should have beaten Obama.

What needs to be looked at instead of this “soul-searching” (in reality, advocacy of a move hard to the left) is forensic analysis of the election results. What the turnout looked like, who voted, and where the failure points were. It may be the “soul searching” crowd is correct and we’ve lost the country, in which case I’m done with politics and will focus on taking care of myself. But it may some chunk of the base really stayed home too (in which case we have to find out why). Or maybe we didn’t have the independents after all (and again, why not needs to be examined. Did Gary Johnson steal them? etc).

I think we’re going to find other issues at work like the weakness of the candidates (both Tea Party and Establishment choices for the Senate were huge disasters), the Hurricane, and possibly other things. I’m not sure it will matter though as it’s clear listening to a lot of chatter here, too many are ready to embrace Obamacare, high taxes, and probably amnesty.

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

This time, Republicans can’t blame the candidate, or at least they shouldn’t.

BS. We nominated a RINO and look what happened – AGAIN..

ChuckTX on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Dont despair.

To those who think it is over, I urge you to reconsider.

We have a GOP House that, while imperfect, will be able to block a lot of Obama’s new agenda.

Valley Forge, b-tches. Valley Forge.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Obama exceeded his Constitutional authority and what did the GOP House do? He’s committed high treason (or, if you don’t believe that assume for a moment that he did) and was there (or will there ever be) a bill of impeachment?

This non-action will only encourage him to do more of the same. Obama’s new agenda will be Executive Orders and unchecked regulations from his ever-growing scrum of czars.

[I enjoy your posts and wish I could be as optimistic about the next four years as you are, blatantblue.]

ShainS on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I don’t think Democrats won the base turnout. I think their base is just much, much larger than the Republican base now.

The enthusiasm gap was real, and it didn’t even matter.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

and it comes down to the liberal urban cesspools

sad that our best canidate since Ronald Reagan couldn’t overcome this to defeat the worst president in history

audiotom on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Catholics broke for O. Idiots signing their own death warrant.

megthered on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. – H. L. Mencken

Lost in Jersey on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I won’t join in on the Romney hate either. Campaign could of been better, but he did a good job overall. Best of luck to him.,

I agree. And I thought he was much better than Obama (small, petty man).

Its the American people, I think. Easily led about, unserious people.

LilyBart on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

and it comes down to the liberal urban cesspools

audiotom on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

And the interesting twist is those liberal urban cesspools will get worse one year from now – by their own hand. I would bet the unemployment rate will rise at least two points by next summer.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Well, except that some states just legalized medical marijuana, same-sex marriage has effectively been endorsed in three statewide referenda – the first time that SSM has ever been endorsed by statewide vote, and our “conservative” Senate candidates got blown out of the water.

Until you break out of the bubble you’ve constructed, you will be forever surprised and disappointed by our losses.

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I’ve noticed the RINO contingent is carefully avoiding saying anything negative about Thompson and other losers and are focusing all the blame on Mourdock.

Cornyn let Thompson get pounded by Baldwin for a solid month with no response (literally) because Tommy had zero cash after the primary. The GOP is notoriously bad at campaign strategy and letting your candidate get his brains beat in for 30 days is another example.

gumbyandpokey on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It was Ryan.

He brought nothing to the ticket. Not his state. Not a jump in the polls on his announcement. No help geographically. Didn’t help with the Catholics. Didn’t help with seniors. Didn’t help with minorities.

The Ryan pick will haunt Romney.

portlandon on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Ed–we would need more elected officials to espouse Conservative principles first and then articulate them. The few that speak for Conservatism are branded as crazy. The moderates have been running the show, not Conservatives. I agree with Dennis Prager’s initial comments after the loss: it’s about ideology. Moderates don’t win general elections. Nonetheless, I thought Romney could do it.

The only positive takeaway from last night is that at least we all know.
America had a real choice, and it chose to be a social welfare state. At least we can all plan accordingly.
BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Absolutely true. I am fully prepared to tell anyone who voted for Obama that they can’t blame Bush anymore. They own this thing.

But I think it’s more than that. My faith informs and shapes my perspective. I see divine involvement in this election. We will reap the consequences of our actions.

conservative pilgrim on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Seriously, we’re probably completely screwed. Our bench sucks… And Christie is a jerk. Vote for Cory Booker…m’kay.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

If you didn’t click the link in Ed’s post, the Ziegler piece is worth a read.

Bee on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Ed is a RINO, always has been. Bottom line is, this loss was NOT on conservatism, the nation did not drift left. It was just not convinced Romney would actually take us right, WE need a candidate that doesn’t speak conservatism like he learned it from Rosetta Stone last week.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I don’t want to jump the gun in the other direction yet. We’ll need to analyze the results of the election and find out what happened. It may be the “soul-searchers” are in fact correct, in which case I’m done with politics (I’m already done with the Republican Party regardless).

He got fewer votes than John McCain did.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

This is what makes me wonder if there was a problem with base turnout. At the VERY LEAST he should have matched McCain’s performance and he failed to do it. Did these people just stay home? Did they not vote? What happened?

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Maybe the House should just let Obama have anything he wants. Higher taxes, kill coal and oil, decimate the military, free abortion, whatever.

Then the left can’t claim Republican “obstructionism”.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

He wasn’t perfect, but to say he was the worst ever is so delusional and debased I don’t know where to start.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Bottom line Romney came across as a man with no core principals. He spoke conservatism as if he learned it the weak prior on Rosetta Stone.

He drew no clear contrasts. He didn’t attack Obama on F&F or Benghazi very forcefully. During the FP debate he literally just agreed with Obama.

That is NOT how you win. Face it the guy was a horrible candidate. Look at the final vote numbers. Democrat turnout was way down, but so was Republican and independent turnout. John Freaking McCain GOT more votes. So this superior ground game by Obama was bs.

IF it’s like Ed suggested and this was some sort of re-alignment why did McCain get more votes when losing by 7%???

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

ShainS on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I know, but those things you mentioned are much more easily removed than things like the Hell-Care Bill.

The solidification and expansion of the Affordable HellCare Act is what frightens me. The rest? Dust on the shoulder.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

IN and MO aren’t WI. But please, keep fielding nut jobs who blather on about masturbation and magic uteri.

EddieC on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Politics is cyclical – let the country choke on another four years of socialist crap and the GOP will rise again. Unfortunately, we will all pay the price in the process.

jagdpanther on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

If you believe anyone supports making abortion illegal even when the mother’s life is at risk, you are a perfect example of why this country is probably done for.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Okay, show me where in the Republican platform about abortion does it have an exception for the life of the mother?

LawnGnomeFanFirst on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Catholics broke for O. Idiots signing their own death warrant.

megthered on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

That is pretty stupid. Maybe they like free stuff and abortions better.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

The questions of the century: Do we fix the Republicans or do we start anew? Do we fight the media in better ways or do we keep on with Fox and pretend they are fair and balanced? Will we even exist in 2016? It doesn’t look like it.

BetseyRoss on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Wow!!
Four more years of high unemployment, slow (to no) growth, high and rising) energy prices, wasteful spending, rising national debt, expanding deficits, and blaming Bush! What fun!

JayVee on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I think it’s time to split into north U.S. and south U.S.

txag92 on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

We need to capture the cultural institutions if we’re going to make an impact. We need to start cleaning house in Hollywood and our universities if we’re going to transform the values of the US.

Punchenko on November 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Not a bad idea if Conservatives within these cultural institutions, i.e entertainment & higher education weren’t such damn punks afraid of their ‘conservatism’. Being part of the crowd to be accepted or to get your next gig overrides this blazing ideal of conservatism. That’s too long a road to travel, not to mention no one seems to want to get on that road on our side.

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

You’re just bitter because the Republicans couldn’t use Benghazi to political advantage. Period.

I hope the Right keeps the same attitudes as you have articulated, going forward. They will continue to lose elections.

chumpThreads on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Sure there’s bitterness. But it’s not our attitudes that have to change since we’re not the ones who are corrupt. It’s the media that rejects its own purpose for being–which is to be a watchdog for good governance. As for our “attitudes”–they’re not going away since they represent half the country. You’ve merely won a cycle. You lost a big one in 2012. My guess is we’ll win an even bigger one 4 years from now after Obama leaves behind his mess. The country sure as hell won’t turn to Biden or Hillary to get us out of it.

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

We will reap the consequences of our actions.

conservative pilgrim on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

yes we may, but it won’t happen until some blood is spilled… and I mean that in the figurative.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Mark1971 on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Absolutely.

All or nothing refuse to sign it and let them all expire.

I paid federal income tax at 14 so can these idiots.

harlekwin15 on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Then the left can’t claim Republican “obstructionism”.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I agree with you. “Rock-bottom” is the only wake-up call. Sad, but true.

salem on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Oh…but on the plus side…I AM happy about my county here in MD. We went Romney by a vote of 56.7% – 40.6%. I knew St. Mary’s County wasn’t full of idiots!!!

Highlar on November 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Ha. Yeah but unfortunately Montgomery and PG county own Maryland. I’ve voted R for pres my whole life in Maryland and my vote has never counted. Sigh… Next election will be the first time voting from another state(AZ). It’ll be a nice change of pace.

Dongemaharu on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

find ways to communicate them in an engaging and welcoming manner.

There is no shining of the socon mud fence. The abortion debate has long since been decided. That ship has sailed. Roe is gone forever now.

As long as that exists, Republicans will continue to fade on the national level. There is nothing engaging and welcoming about it.

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yes, but it sucks knowing the Hell-Care Bill will be in full swing in two years.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Yes it does, and the blood for that lies at the feet of those who passed it and did so in mockery.

We are to comfort the sick and dying.

Their misery is to be pushed to the face of those snide fools who are forcing decisions to be made by unelected bureaucrats. No bureaucrat has ever been able to give comfort, just serve as a petty tyrant exploiting their authority to make themselves feel powerful. Yet the blood is now on their hands at their own invitation and want of it… our job is to point out the bloody hands and bloody footprints such good-hearted petty tyrants and their enablers leave behind them.

ajacksonian on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

disenfranchised voters.. they went to the libertarian or green party. I have still yet to find those numbers.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yea let’s blame Ryan… Don’t you dare blame my guy for this. Please who was your extra magic VP? Portman wasn’t going to generate excitement and Rubio was basically the Latino version of Dan Quay

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Sorry, that should have said they showed a regular and consistent enthusiasm gap.

They also showed a close national race with Obama winning the swing states.

Our side was motivated; there just weren’t enough of us.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I can honestly say, i didnt expect this result. People were going to vote for this guy again after 4 years of no progress and no leadership? I am still dumbfounded by the results.

Here in Ohio where I live,Obama looses 300k support, AND romney somehow loses 100K support. Even better, Obama still wins?? Will the provisional/absentee ballets make up this difference?

2012:
Obama – 2,672,302
Romney – 2,571,539

2008:
Obama – 2,940,044
McCain – 2,677,539

kage on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Read the Ziegler piece I linked above/Ed linked in post. Helped answer my own similar questions.

But I have no idea about our base turnout…seemed like we at least had that in our favor. Eh.

Bee on November 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Will have to confirm but I think the Evangelicals stayed home, again.

WisRich on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Sorry, that’s as far a I got before I burst out laughing…not with you, at you.

chumpThreads on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

BetseyRoss on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

We rebuild. We’ve got the young talent. It’ll be seasoned in 4 years. Europe is already looking for a way out of a cul-de-sac. Sooner or later, Thatcher said, you run out of other people’s money. That’ll soon be obvious to anybody with any sense.

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

yeah, i’ll tell you most of those in the primary couldve out performed mitt.

chasdal

Then why didn’t they? If that were true, they would have out-performed him in the primaries.

And that’s exactly why Mitt Romney only won 29% of latino voters. You can either start re-thinking your approach to immigration or not. But the latino vote has spoken, that kind of rhetoric will not win elections anymore.

libfreeordie

Yawn. Maybe we should brag about deporting more illegals than even that evil Mexican hating Bush did like Obama claimed. Didn’t seem to hurt him too much.

If Hispanics have no respect for the rule of law, that doesn’t say much about them, does it? The reality is Hispanics vote democrat because they support democrat policies. Republicans could give them full blown amnesty(AGAIN) and open the borders completely with no restrictions and they would STILL lose the Hispanic vote in large numbers.

Here’s another reality check…we didn’t lose because of the Hispanic vote.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Conservatives don’t like voting for liberals.
Libertarian/fiscal conservatives don’t like voting for big government guys.
Romney wasn’t very likable.
Obama painted Romney early and Romney never fought back and people don’t like wimps.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I’m taking a different tack. The country has spoken and we are headed for Euro- style governance, with a much larger and more intrusive Federal government than the Founders ever intended. Whether the electorate has chosen this path because it’s what the majority really wants or because the majority is stupid is immaterial. It is what it is.

The question is now do we become Germany or Greece? I’m going to go to work towards becoming Germany. Is a German system of governance the ideal? Not at all. But the notion that this country will ever elect another Ronald Reagan or even a George W. Bush is madness. Individual freedom, particularly economic freedom, will take the hit because the dream of killing Obamacare is dead. Nationalized healthcare will ceate a dependance that we will never be rid of. Ever. All other issues will fall to the wayside when you’re faced with the government mandating your treatment when you’re sick and most vulnerable.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome. Higher tax rates on the “wealthy” are coming as are slews of regulations. Get used to it and figure out how to work around them when you can.

Germany. Not Greece.

Dukeboy01 on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I am simply stunned to find this is what Anericans want. I am having to re-evaluate everything today. How to pull back and take care of myself. What to do with my investments. How to survive in a country I have never known. One that wants me to work hard and pay for them to have free stuff. I wonder seriously if we could have two counties. I know that sound silly but I am devastated this morning. I will not pull myself together and fight on for my political/personal beliefs.

AnnaS on November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I think the only choice is to let the people have what they asked for. Allow the Dems to raise everyone’s taxes and unemployment to skyrocket. Inflation, Death Panels, gas prices, energy prices, etc. Then we will ask the people if they enjoy liberalism. And maybe then we can get a truly conservative congress and president.

jeffn21 on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Dont despair.

To those who think it is over, I urge you to reconsider.

Valley Forge, b-tches. Valley Forge.

blatantblue on November 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Yeah, a lot of good that will do with a President who pis*es on Constitutional protocol and a Speaker of The House without a set of stones who can’t wait to strike “grand bargains” in between pops at the Capital Grille.

Right Mover on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Will those cretins who are blaming the “socons” for this, kindly quit calling yourselves “Conservatives”? Romney never has been a “socon”. and, you’re as far from Conservatism as Michelle Obama is from a Thigh Master. Bunch of Mobys.

kingsjester on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You’re wrong on this one Ed. Take it from someone who’s lived in Ca. since 53. What happened last night started 40 years ago at least….What happened last night and 4 years ago is the will of the people (ignorant as they are)….and I hate it but we turned a socioeconomic corner last night that we will never come back from…

You can’t blame any one thing but I’m wondering what today would look like If we’d built that wall 50 years ago….Harvested our own crops, raised our own kids, mowed our own lawns….

Ed, as much as people won’t admit it, we’re all responsible for last night….we got fat and lazy.

repvoter on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

jagdpanther on November 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

No, it’s only cyclical as long as it’s on an even keel. Then it rapidly slides one direction. It will become cyclical again once the elections become single-party.

GWB on November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Hey uppy. Miss reading your posts. I’ll be here even less now. Email me and let me know where you’re at and how things are going. We got new orders.

re your comment—abortion will be more accepted….The blood from that fills the land. There is a callousness permeating the country. I can’t remember who said it, but people would rather record a fight or assault for YouTube than help the person. Lord, have mercy on us.

conservative pilgrim on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Let’s be honest, blame does go with Romney’s campaign. They let Democrats linger on about Bain being evil and the tax issue.

Romney should have said that Bain took companies that were on the brink of bankruptcy and turned them around. The companies Bain helped were close to bankruptcy, and total collapse. The President was exploiting this to seek division and not an American turnaround.

Romney never shook of the allegations that he was a tax thief. It became a birth certificate issue of the left.

George Allen was a loser once, and a loser again, to no surprise. Todd Akin opened his mouth without thinking. Mourdock was a seat that we had, until we decided to try with someone else. Good presidential and senatorial campaigns can work together and create synergy, bad candidates hurt. They force funds to be diverted, and turn into national boogeymen.

We need to step up our GOTV efforts. We have to make inroads into “blue” states, and not shelter ourselves to the “red” states. Howard Dean, built up the Democratic Party across all 50 states, and found traction in many of them. I can name states with non-existent Republican leadership efforts, it’s time to force the state party chairman out, and put people in who are interested in winning their states.

amazingmets on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I shall fight no more forever.

It’s the end of hope and while I knew the rubicon was already, perhaps passed, I continued to hope.

I live in Maryland. The Dems have carefully arranged that no Republican can ever be elected again and they’ve brought in the Mob to pay the tab. I will not learn Spanish, so future communication might get iffy and The University of Maryland will now be the US’s first University of South America. Oh yes, and my marriage has been repudiated by the State. All those years when we thought we were doing the right thing by hanging in there during the tough times? We were fools. Mothers and fathers are no longer relevant or welcome in Maryland. Our marriage and what it meant to us has been trivialized to the point of absurdity. My son and his girl friend are now working and saving so they can get married. I think their object was a family, with children. That’s no longer socially acceptable in my state. What do the man I live with and I call ourselves now? How do we check those boxes and how do you now address mail? Should I take my maiden name?

What I’m really, really sad about though are the millions of lives willingly sacrified for freedom. Like Esau, we’ve sold the heritage so dearly purchased for “free” stuff and the right to punish political opposition. I wonder if any of them will ever even remember what freedom and the dignity of work means.

Portia46 on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

You can’t be a howdy-doody candidate when your opponent’s calling you a ‘bullsh*tter’, rapping with Jay-Z, and talking about ‘revenge’. In short, we needed a ‘real’ fighter. Romney’s smarts, cleanliness, and logistics do not make him a fighter. What we need is a real political pugilist, with all the aforementioned Romney qualities. And yes, you have to engage the media on the war front.

RepubChica on November 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

This was my whole reason for NOT supporting Romney in the primaries. He.is.not.a.fighter! We needed someone willing to go to the mat and fight for conservative principles in a way people can relate to and appreciate. How could Romney fight on the issues of health care and the middle class?? He just looked like either a hypocrit or liar.

Also, his explanation of where he stood on the auto bailout during the debate was pathetic. He did not explain what he mean’t by allowing a “bankruptcy” to occur. I worked as a caseworker for the bankruptcy trustee in Alabama for several years. Romney should have explained that he supported a “reorganization” of the auto industry–as in chapter 11. Most people when they think of bankruptcy think of Chapter 7 where a company completely dissolves. Romney did not make that distinction clearly enough at the debate. Instead, he kept on talking about letting the auto industry come “through” bankruptcy which implied he wanted them to rid themselves of assets and then look for some government help to rebuild. That was one of the bad moves on Romney’s part in this election IMO.

KickandSwimMom on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Mark1971 on November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Absolutely.

All or nothing refuse to sign it and let them all expire.

I paid federal income tax at 14 so can these idiots.

harlekwin15 on November 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Of course we would get the blame and the media will proclaim it across the land.

WisRich on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

As long as we have teachers and journalists brainwashing the public and turning out cyborg liberal students who become cyborg liberal voters and we open the floodgates to immigration-accepting other nations’ criminal rejects we will no longer be internationally competitive and if we pirate entrepreneurs’ money via high taxes and rob doctors of incomes via Obamacare there will be significantly fewer of both.

This is a pattern I’ve seem coming for years. A president in the White House grossly abuses his power and disgraces the White House with a sordid BJ and INCREASES his popularity. It’s not just Obama who won. So did homosexual marriage (Maine) and legalized marijuana (Colorado).It’s not just Romney who lost. So did two wonderful black politicians-Mia Love and Allen West-who would have been shining lights in helping to lead blacks (and some other minority) voters out of the vicious cycle of Democratic and drug dependency, illegitimate children with no father figure and hopeless ghetto poverty with a few trinkets thrown their way in the form of welfare and food stamps mooched via exorbitant taxes on ever fewer people with meaningful jobs. Al Gore was little better than Obama. John Kerry was just as bad-and yet both just lost by a whisker and in order to beat them and keep his job George W Bush had to go on social spending sprees rivaling his opponents.

The Monica Lewinsky scandal was brushed off because people didn’t care. Pornography, in fact, has become de riguer among government workers. Fast and Furious and Benghazi-both scandals involving criminal neglig4ence and criminal coverups survived because left-wing journalists were trained to look the other way.Let’s face it Obama won because the press covers his crimes and incompetence and zombie voters trained by our teachers believe socialism is chic and stylish and they are dependent on the government handouts.. We are a welfare state.

MaiDee on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Sorry, that’s as far a I got before I burst out laughing…not with you, at you.

chumpThreads on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Laugh while you can.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Obama has not even totaled McCain’s vote for 2008 yet, so the soul-searching meme may be us running with the media’s narrative again.

Also, no one has touched on this yet–isn’t Obama simply a symbol for many of his minions. “Take that you (fill in expletives), you Rethuglicans!” There is nothing more than that to some of Obama’s support. How is repackaging the conservative brand going to address the deep unseriousness of how our principles are supposed to work?

mwbri on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

It’s time for Americans to pay for their government spending. Raise taxes to cover 100% of current spending. The DEM playbook of: print money, watch prices rise, then blame big business must be undermined. People are too stupid to understand where rising prices come from. No more borrowing. No more debasing the currency.

EddieC on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Sorry, that’s as far a I got before I burst out laughing…not with you, at you.

chumpThreads

But yeah, it’s republicans who have the attitude problem, lol.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

We got new orders.

conservative pilgrim on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Oh no! And OH NO, I can’t even get into my email, due to liberal getting me banned on FB and hacking my accounts. Let me figure this out.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

The answer is: federalism.

We renew at the bottom and sustain what we can and let the top rot out. That means slews of institutions will fail because they are insolvent and have unsustainable practices.

It is my fervent hope that such is the worst we will face.

America lied to for decades and finally learning it with a group of smug know-it-alls in charge does not have a pleasant end, I fear. Our job is bottom upwards renewal, holding the unfit in government accountable, pointing out that we are not our brother’s debt holder, and that the rule of law is based on contracts and no one will trust any government that cannot guarantee the sanctity of the process of law, which includes bankruptcy and failure.

America is not great because you get a chance to succeed… it is great because you get the same chance to fail and feel misery. And misery we shall feel, as it is the only taskmaster that teaches us that success is not easy. This lesson has been forgotten, and now we shall relearn it once more.

ajacksonian on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

First of all, let me say that I’m sorry to many of you on here who are suffering today. It was a tough loss. I was not a Romney supporter, but I definitely preferred him to our current so-called Commander N Chief. I was pretty shocked that the majority of Americans actually chose to re-elect this pathetic figure given the complete failure he’s been in office (which can be proven by several different matrices). So, it’s a tough day for me as well.

In terms of going forward, if I may offer a few observations. I think that many on here are correct when they say that the electorate has lurched to the Left. Many more have been conditioned to believe that the government is there to give them things and provide for them. We all know this is un-sustainable, but the people are going to have to figure that stark reality out for themselves. Bide your time. Wait for the imminent implosion. How do you think Obama is going to be able to continue to afford paying off his sycophants when the ranks of working Americans are declining to such a degree?

Don’t listen to the Leftists on here who want to offer advice. In terms of appealing to hispanics, they are completely wrong. While softening your message would help and realizing that many illegals are here simply to provide for their families, that’s nothing but words and provides no solution to the problem. Nothing short of full amnesty will prevent the media and the Left from characterizing the Right as “extreme” on this issue. And, we know that full amnesty would force economic collapse, because not only would law and order be lost but the strain on the entitlement system would be too much.

One area I could say you could make headway immediately is to rethink all these social issues that many of you like to make hay about. Is it really government’s role to be dictating who can and can’t get married? Look I understand that many of you strongly support preserving cultural norms, but a government cannot do that. If the people want to change, they will. And more and more people are going to continue to support gay marriage and be put off by the Republican message on it. Why is it ok to support govt intervention on the marriage front, when you’re so opposed to it on the economic front? You’ve got to be more consistent in your arguments and offer a starker contrast to the Dems.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I have still yet to find those numbers.

upinak on November 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

The right side gathered about 1% of the vote in VA, I think. The left was a little more than that. (There were 4 possibilities for “third aprty” here, 2 right, 2 left.)

GWB on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Our side was motivated; there just weren’t enough of us.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

We just don’t know what happened yet. We’ll need to wait for a serious look at the election results.

Another question that needs to be asked is how did conservatives/conservative media call this thing so badly? This wasn’t like in 2008 when the McCain campaign had the stench of death on it. The Romney people and the conservative media really seemed to think that they had this one in the bag – they weren’t just putting on “game faces.” Was Romney just spinning the bad numbers?

Doomberg on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Then the left can’t claim Republican “obstructionism”.

darwin

Sure they can. And 51% of the electorate will believe it.

xblade on November 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I think it’s time to split into north U.S. and south U.S.

txag92 on November 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I am in complete agreement with you.

JAGonzo on November 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

A thought:

Maybe one way we can torch the government bakery and Circus Maximus will be intellectual property. Most industries dependent on strict enforcement of intellectual property in the media are 0bama donors: Software companies, Hollywood, the music industry. Why should we help them keep their money by supporting intellectual property laws with regard to non-physical creations, like cartoon characters, movies, and books? Low-info voters love them some PirateBay. Make the Democrats have to pee on the guys in the Guy Fawkes masks to protect their revenue stream.

Sekhmet on November 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

How about a few thoughts on the crap poll analysis of the right wing blogosphere?

Tell us some more about the big voter enthusiasm.

Moesart on November 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

There was HUGE GOP enthusiasm, just not enough of us in the “swing” states. And too many of us thought to “make a statement” by voting for Gary Johnson because of purity tests. The enthusiastic conservatives just aren’t in Ohio, Florida, Virginia any more in the numbers needed to overcome the moochers.

But with free birth control and taxpayer funded abortions on demand, they’ll soon eliminate themselves.

PastorJon on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

He got fewer votes than John McCain did.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I said “enthusiasm” not “vote count”. The enthusiasm that I felt for Romney…and others that I know…far outweighed what we felt for McCain. We respected McCain…but were never very enthusiastic for him. Romney energized Republicans better than McCain did. However, the vote didn’t get there…this time. Obama was able to demagogue Romney to such an extent that we lost. To me, that is the bottom line.

Highlar on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Christie wept because he spoke to Springsteen.

I weep for our Country.

bigdubs on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

This will require a new set of national leaders for the Republican Party and conservatism. We need men and women who can think creatively, produce a positive agenda that isn’t defined by an oppositional nature, and who can eloquently communicate that agenda and the values that drive it. That should be our focus over the next two years before we start thinking about who to nominate as the party’s presidential nominee — and if done properly, that process will naturally produce the right leader for conservatism. And if that is done properly, too, perhaps we’ll be in position for another realignment four years from now.

I admire your optimism Ed, but a lot of the election cycle came to perception & publicity.

Obama, by all rights should have lost; from the Green Jobs money spent and wasted to the F&F/Benghazi foul ups this guy should never have seen another 4 years as CinC, but between the press coverage…or lack thereof…and the Hollywood manipulation of the culture we wont make that many more inroads than we already have.

The MSM is compromised: we cannot in good conscious trust fully on what they tell us without yards of fact-checking…IMHO the few positive outlook on the election is that the alternative media sources ARE available.

Now when I look to 2016, I’m not looking at who will run, but what we will have to run against

Unemployment is still over 2000-2008 levels and there is no immediate answer.

We’ve spent & borrowed over $5trillion dollars and we are no better off now than 4 years prior.

F&F/Benghazi investigation is going to be swept away…do we really think anyone in the press will touch it even with token enthusiasm now?

I don’t know where we’re going, but i don’t like the looks of the places we’ve stopped along the way on the last 4 year trip…are we truly ready for another 4 year stretch?

The next few years are going to hurt: we are going to take hits: and to my friends & the countries allies across the seas, on behalf of us Americans left, i apologize for the next 48 months of hardships we ALL face.

May God still favor our Republic and give us strength for the battles ahead.

BlaxPac on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Catholics broke for O. Idiots signing their own death warrant.

megthered on November 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

They went for O by 54-45 in ’08. I thought that might change. Sorry Catholics, but your church no longer stands for its own doctrine.

Your rank and file is no longer a majority pro-life.

Your charities and hospitals are about to be subjugated by the Obama machine.

Congratulations.

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

He got fewer votes than John McCain did.

sharrukin on November 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Why? Becasuse he wasn’t Conservative enough? Then how come so many Conservatives like West and Mandel and Smith lost? This has nothing to do with Romney or the GOP. This is the country and we can’t accept it.

The people of the hearltand, the middle class, the hard-working individuals are becoming a minority. When you see places like Philadelphia and Cleveland vote huge percentages for Obama, they are basically telling the rest of their state to eff off. These people want this, they want their goodies no matter what. They will never vote Conservative and right now they are the majority.

Will we come back? I hope so but not until they realize the well can run dry. I don’t agree that we can convince them we are right. Ssomething outside of our control will have to change things for them. They are happy in the now and don’t care about the future.
It’s a sad day for America.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Pretty much the only reason some of these social issues have come up at all (especially gay marriage) is because liberals are pushing them to the point of suing people who won’t ‘accept’ them. There are multiple such cases.

If not for the gayfia, stuff like the DOMA wouldn’t even be on our radar because we really do have enough on our plate.

MelonCollie on November 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

WisRich on November 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

What does it matter? They will report whatever the propoganda office tells them to report. And does it occur to you that the FCC is now free to close Fox News and all talk radio? Any political speech will be deemed hate speech and the feds will move in. It really is over, you know.

But I’m beginning to think perhaps gaining the House wasn’t a plus. It’s all a matter of marking time before the total collapse of Western economies and Civilization. Oh, I said I wouldn’t fight anymore. Not quite true. I won’t wear a burqua nor hide my Cross, so there’s that.

Portia46 on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The Monica Lewinsky scandal was brushed off because people didn’t care.

MaiDee

You are right on target. You can thank Clinton for the moral relativism of the Democratic brand. You have to go to Anthony Wiener stupidity to resign in disgrace as a Democrat.

mwbri on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Yea let’s blame Ryan… Don’t you dare blame my guy for this.

Illinidiva on November 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

But, this is the Republican way (and the Romney way). Ignore the void at the top of the ticket and knife the VP.

Yeah, I was ABR but got sucked up into the Mittmetum when deep in my gut I knew better. I had my hopes raised after the first debate but then… Same ole, same ole.

The problem was not Paul Ryan. He brought many of us ABR’s to the ticket.

There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once, shame on – shame on you. Fool me – you can’t get fooled again.

Fallon on November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

It’s a sad day for America.

Deanna on November 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

That’s akin to what I said last night. Just let them have everything they want, and when the walls coming crashing down upon them, maybe they’ll wake up. The House will stop little, if any of this, from happening anyway. They don’t have the “stones.”

predator on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

We do not need to change our values, but we do need to find ways to communicate them in an engaging and welcoming manner. We need to think creatively about big issues, philosophy, and how we can relate conservative values to the needs of a wider range of voters.

93% of blacks and 70% of hispanics voted against the white guy and for the brown guy. Your “big issues” and “philosophy” don’t f-ing matter! They are irrelevant. It’s so precious how white moderates can’t get this throught their heads. “Gee, we just need to communicate better.”

Your ideas don’t matter to those voters, your race matters. The rest is secondary at best. To pretend that the 93% of blacks voting for the black guy care about “big ideas” is completely asinine.

This was almost entirely a racial vote and a racial victory and that’s America’s future.

Django on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

KingGold on November 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Give me a break. Romney was not a conservative. He was an “electable moderate” you know the type you RINOs insist are the only ones that can win.

Akin was not the Tea party backed candidate, that was Sarah Steelman. He didn’t lose because of his “conservatism” he lost because he was a loon.

Murdock same thing. There are plenty of conservatives who win statewide just fine.

BTW how did the great “RINO” hopes Scott Brown, and Tommy Thompson do?

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I may come back here occasionally, but for now I’m done. I don’t have the energy anymore.crazy_legs on November 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Where do you plan to go?

Uniblogger on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Laugh while you can.

darwin on November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Actually, that’s advice you probably need to take yourself.

chumpThreads on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I don’t post here much, just read. I have to post something now because I need to get it off my chest.

It’s over.

That’s the only conclusion I can come to. This was “The. Most. Important. Election. Of. Our. Lifetime.” according to Hannity and Limbaugh.

It was do or die. That what all the talk radio people and the blogs said.

Well, we lost. The country just shot itself in the abdomen yesterday, and will bleed to death in a few years.

I can’t take it anymore. I’m done with following politics. No more blogs, no more talk radio. No big loss to me, because there’s no point anymore. I had hoped we were able to pull back from the tipping point but yesterday showed me how wrong I was.

This country wants to be socialist. People want the government to be involved in their everyday business. OK. Fine. The majority has spoken. The wolves decided by vote what’s for dinner. It’s over. We’re done. I’m done.

Hopefully, I can find a little more joy in my life. I hate to think that the best days are behind me, but it appears that is the case.

RDH on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

America wants what it wants, even if it has to lie, cheat and steal to get it. I don’t want any part of that.

I want to be left alone. I want to leave others alone. America doesn’t want either of those things. America wants to be taken care of by a bloated, paternalistic bureaucracy, and it thinks it can make someone else pay for it.

I’m going to start praying. Really praying. The only thing that can rescue this country is a true spiritual revival. One that can reignite the spirit of ’76. Obama is the symptom, not the sickness. The sickness is inside us as a people. It’s time to disengage from external things and focus on internal things, starting with me. I need to be a better person before anything good can come from me.

May God bless the United States of America, and may God revive us again.

spmat on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

wanna win young people and minorities? stop being a party stuck in the stone age (racist, homophobic, bible-thumping, anti-gay marriage and marijuana legalization) or prepare for a long wilderness, GOP.

DBear on November 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

This time, Republicans can’t blame the candidate

2010. The people spoke loudly no Obama Care.

2012. Mitt Romney the father of Obama Care is nominated. 10% of Republicans stayed home rather than vote for Obama Care via Mitt Romney.

But no we can’t blame Romney.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Also, for the Leftists on here saying it’s the shrill tone and harsh rhetoric of the tea-party members which has prevented a Republican victory, your theory is completely wrong and that can be proven quite easily. Allan Grayson was just elected to office in Florida. Never has a more disgusting figure who spews such vile contemptible filth been elected to office.

The problem is that you’ve got a media who is eagerly willing to exploit anything and everything a Republican says while most of the time Dems get a pass. That is a battle you cannot win. Accept it. The people are like children. Sometimes a child has to experience the pain of burning their finger before they learn not to put it on the stove anymore. All of us know that the expansive, centralized, Keynesian approach to economic policy will not work. We know that Obama’s Wilsonian globalism will not work. Bide your time. When it collapses, the people will be looking for solutions. Adjust and refine your message, but maintain traditional Taft-style Conservativism and present a stark contrast to Obama and the Left. Redemption will come.

RobbBond on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Well, in the next four years the American people will get to actually experience the destruction caused by Obamacare.

500 billion in new taxes, most of them on the middle class.
20 million Americans will lose their employer-based health insurance.
Many doctors will simply leave the profession.
An estimated 1 out of 6 hospitals will close.
Medicare will be gutted, and rationed by the IPAB that is set up for that purpose.
Employers will force full-time workers to become part-time to avoid the Employee Mandate.
Veterans health care (Tricare) will be gutted by billions.
And on and on.
Who will the Democrats blame for all of this in 2016?

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Dwight Eisenhower – a man of few words but much insight

“A people that values it privileges above it’s principals soon has neither “

audiotom on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Blaming the candidate is a straw man. Anyone who wasn’t motivated to show up and beat Obama isn’t going to be any more motivated in four years, no matter who the Republicans nominate.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I disagree. If it was as difficult for other conservatives to vote for Romney as it was for me, I can easily believe that a big chunk of them stayed home. Voting for the “lesser of two evils” doesn’t work for a lot of folks, especially after G.W.Bush and Captain Amnesty.

dogsoldier on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I’m really enjoying watching Fox News.

The foxenfreude is delicious!

chumpThreads on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Welcome to the Whig Party.

The GOP is Dead.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

But no we can’t blame Romney.

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

It may not have been 10%, but I’ll wager it’s close. That’s what tanked McCain.

dogsoldier on November 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM