Romney up 92K in OH early voting? Update: Gannett pulls link; Update: EV up 14% in 2008 McCain counties, down in Obama counties; Update: Gannett “regrets the error”

posted at 9:21 am on November 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Update: The data is still up at the Gannett site, but they’ve pulled the link from the front page.  Justin Higgins says that OH won’t release EV data separately:

Original post follows, but if this turns out to be wrong, Gannett may have some explaining to do about why they put it up on their website’s front page.

Update II: Via MKH, Cook Report’s Dave Wasserman crunched the numbers and figures the GOP has achieved parity in Ohio early voting:

Update III: Since I owe you some good news on this topic, here’s Josh Kraushaar, via John Nolte:

That’s a huge enthusiasm advantage.

Update IV: Gannett finally issued a retraction and an apology:

A Cincinnati.com front-page link to a chart with dummy data, created as a design template for election results, was inadvertently posted early Tuesday morning.

It purported to show early voting totals in Ohio counties. However, no votes have been counted yet – by law counting doesn’t start until the polls close.

Cincinnati.com regrets the error.

======================

So says Gannett’s Cincinnati.com, which has the data from the state government posted at its site this morning. I put the question mark on the data because I don’t see anything up yet at the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, but occasionally the media will get updates prior to the website. According to the data, Mitt Romney already has 697,143 votes before the polls opened a couple of hours ago, while Barack Obama only has 605,546, a difference of almost 92,000 votes.  The data is time-stamped at 2:03 ET this morning, and the link on the front page of the site reads, “Early voters: How Ohio has voted.”

A few counties have not yet reported any early-voting results, but one county in particular looks huge.  Cuyahoga, which includes Cleveland, should be a Democratic stronghold, and perhaps the one area where Democratic early-voting efforts should have produced their biggest lead.  Instead, Romney has a lead of about 14,000 votes already, 127,570 to 113,373.  In Hamilton County, where Cincinnati itself is located, Romney leads by over 5,000, 29,969 to 24,808.  A quick scan of the data shows Romney leading in every county with more than 25,000 EVs.

This may be a very big deal, if these numbers are correct.  Obama had a big lead in EVs before Election Day in 2008, which allowed him to withstand the GOP’s better turnout on the day itself.  Frankly, Team Romney might have been thrilled to be trailing by 92K at this juncture.  To be ahead in early voting portends a big Republican turnout in the Buckeye State, and perhaps an early night for all of us.  We’ll see, but this is the first indication of unforeseen Romney strength in this election.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Like I said. It’ll be over tonight, and it’s not gonna be that close.

Longing4Lincoln on November 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Glenn Jericho on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Remain calm.

And get your arse out and VOTE!!!

JohnGalt23 on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

If this is true, I can only say the following:

boom

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Go, Cuyahoga, Go!

I want to be proud of my county for once. Instead of it always being a pit of Dem corruption.

ConDem on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Drove by city hall again in my local little city of 5,000 on my way for the second shift school delivery, place is now packed; people are parking on side streets and walking up. This election is very different than any other I’ve seen here.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

This may be a very big deal, if these numbers are correct.

It’s totally yooooge if it’s correct.

forest on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I have a late night and I am looking forward to coming home and hoping to see Romney as the new POTUS.

upinak on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Don’t tease. Please let this be true!

portlandon on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I am liking this.

bluegill on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Could these be the numbers that Stephanie Cutter has warned Dems to ignore?

Chomsky Dance Recital on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Winston Wolf rule in effect!

HoustonRight on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

You know who this helps?

HitNRun on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Don’t get cocky…….and work today until the polls close.

Turning out an incumbent is very very difficult.

This is going to require lots of heavy lifting.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Remain calm.

And get your arse out and VOTE!!!

JohnGalt23 on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Can I at least finish my coffee first?

Norky on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

They don’t release the EV until election night so as not to influence the vote.

Illinidiva on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Glenn Jericho on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

x 1 million

aunursa on November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

These are actual votes? are they allowed to report this?

neuquenguy on November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

It’s either Romney in a blowout, or Obama in a (stolen) squeaker.

FiveG on November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Please let it be so !! And GOTV to win the votes on election day. All fingers closed.

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Voted at 7am this morning in Ohio. Line was huge and no one was talking about Obie. Everyone was talking Mitt! Granted its a rural area but I have never had that long of a line that early in the morning at our polling place!

Kagan on November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Please let this be true. Imagine Romney not only winning O-I-H-O, but winning it big. Every single pollster(even the respectable ones) will have to reevaluate how they view the electorate for 2014 and beyond.

Doughboy on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Guys, get out of your bubble!! That data was wrong!! I can’t wait for all the faulty info posted here today, lol.

Ali A. Akbar ‏@ali
! RT @moelane: @ali Yeah, that’s bad data: the news site yanked it and the county-to-county didn’t match this: http://bit.ly/Qkni1H .
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Obama’s concession speech will go something like this:”I know a lot of you expected this in November, but here in February, we finally have all of the votes recounted – twice. By hand. When an election is this close, you can’t be too careful – but it seems that 346 to 192 was in fact correct. For the many of you who support me, I’m leaving the campaign web site open for your continued donations. There’s still a lot of work to be done. So to Mitt Romney, I say you’re welcome.”

beatcanvas on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

but, but, but, but, ……Ohio is was a lock…..oh and the ABC poll has O up five among likely registered voters pretending to be likely voters. /

Animal60 on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I’ve been praying and praying.

magicbeans on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Heading out to vote now. Come on VA! Let’s do this!

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Don’t tease. Please let this be true!

portlandon on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Here is a feather for you!

upinak on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Now I know why the Obamas voted early. They’re spending today packing their belongings for the move back to Chicago.

ButterflyDragon on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Can I at least finish my coffee first?

Norky on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

No, take the coffee along.:-)

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

A little false data to suppress the R vote?

tdarrington on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Ali A. Akbar ‏@ali
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Anyone else not gonna miss jamegumb this time tomorrow when we’re discussing President-elect Romney?

Doughboy on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

If those numbers are true then the election is over. If Obama can’t even win Cleveland then its over. Don’t believe it though.

Ric on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Todd Kincannon ‏@ToddKincannon

Rumor is that Navy SEALs from @TrueTheVote are about to confront the Black Panthers at the Philadelphia polling location.

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Yeah I got that ‘lock’ memo too. I just never figured out where in Ohio they were talking about. I assume the cities must see something we dont.

Kagan on November 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Steady, friends.

Steady.

blatantblue on November 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

What glen Jericho said

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Can I at least finish my coffee first?

Norky on November 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Put

The Coffee

DOWN!!

Coffee, is for voters…

(Sorry… couldn’t resist…)

JohnGalt23 on November 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Todd Kincannon ‏@ToddKincannon

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

That could get messy.

Doughboy on November 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hallelujah! BRING IT!!!

Equally applicable to the SEALs and the Ohio early voting.

mrsknightley on November 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I knew it!
Americans do love their Country…

But…

Electrongod on November 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Father in law just voted R/R in PA!

tdarrington on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Wonder how MA Brown election is going?

OmahaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Obama’s concession speech will go something like this:”I um,a, um a, know a lot of you um a, um a um a expected this in November, but here in um a, um a um a, February, we finally have all of the votes recounted – twice. By um a, um a um a, hand. When an election um a, um a um a, is this close, you can’t be too careful – but um a, um a um a, it seems that 346 to 192 was in fact correct.um a, um a um a, For the many of you who um a, um a um a, support me, I’m leaving the um a, um a um a, campaign web site open for your continued donations. There’s still a um a, um a um a, lot of work to be done. So toum a, um a um a, Mitt Romney, I say um a, um a um a, you’re um a, um a um a, welcome.”

beatcanvas on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

FTFY

Animal60 on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

It’s going to be one laugh after another today with faulty data, crappy analysis from politically ignorant posters, and more than a little spin going on here.

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Bush/McCain counties- (+)14% increase
Bush/Obama counties- (+).66% increase, stagnant
Kerry/Obama Counties- (-)4% decrease

Glenn Jericho on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Romney would be thrilled to be trailing by 192 K in early voting. To be closer, much less leading, is huge. Can these numbers be right? If they are, wow.

MTF on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Vote Like Your Freedom Depends On It.

kingsjester on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, how can they release this stuff early??? Did they in 2008?

flstc on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I have long believed that Ohio will go Romney.

myrenovations on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

be careful. There was nothing funnier than watching liberals explode in ’04 after the exit polls had Kerry up.

MoreLiberty on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

No, take the coffee along.:-)

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Oh but I want to savor this vote, I usually vote around 10:00. If I go down too early, the place is empty and the experience doesn’t feel nearly as special. Wife voted on her way to work and said there was no wait at all.

Norky on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hmmm tdarrington

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

When Mitt is inaugurated..
You are still going to claim faulty data..

LOL

Electrongod on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Glenn Jericho on November 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

DITTO!

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

If Romney wins early, remember an important thing. If you own a hunting rifle, having your backyard full of R&R signs or keeping your car parked onstreet with a R&R sticker is baiting, which true hunters consider unsportsmanlike.

Archivarix on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Huge crowd in Cuyahoga County at my polling place. No one was saying anything. People were stoic while voting. Could it be that no one wanted anyone to know they weren’t voting for revenge but for love of country?

ConDem on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

When Obama called the Seals, Osama bin Laden died.
When the Seals called Obama, the Seals died.

Thank you for standing up for America, gentlemen.

kingsjester on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Wymnys lady parts are voting for Mitt. That’s 3 votes per woman at least.

SparkPlug on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Doughboy on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You’re kidding, right? More likely they’ll insist that they’re justified in using the turnout models from 2012 AND 2008. You know, for balance.

HitNRun on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Frankly, Team Romney might have been thrilled to be trailing by 92K at this juncture. To be ahead in early voting portends a big Republican turnout in the Buckeye State, and perhaps an early night for all of us. We’ll see, but this is the first indication of unforeseen Romney strength in this election.

I’m not going to pay any attention to numbers until tonight. It is the only way I will stay sane.

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

trolcott today more than ever!

neuquenguy on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Oh Please let this be accurate. Besides a Romney victory overall, I am wishing to see egg all over the faces of all these smug, Democrat pundits that have condescendingly insisted that Ohio was ALL Obama, and that PA was a pipedream joke.

BettyRuth on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I found it interesting that there was a 4 hour line yesterday in downtown Cincinnati to vote early. ‘Anonymous group’ was bringing in pizza and drinks to the people in line. Im sure Obie made sure they brought him back his receipt and his change from that purchase.

Kagan on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Todd Kincannon ‏@ToddKincannon

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM
That could get messy.

Doughboy on November 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

If this happens, I don’t see it ending well for the New Black Panthers.

tgharris on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Excitedly holding my breath for a decisive win. No matter what Liberals will say Romney stole/bought/cheated to win. I greedily want PA, NH, IA, WI for insurance and MN as gravy :) Here in North Atlanta my line was an hour but we’re going Romney and our rep is Phil Gingrey who will win handily. I havent felt this excited since my first vote for Reagan in 1980!

ldbgcoleman on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Todd Kincannon ‏@ToddKincannon

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

*raises eye brows*

Need a link for the carnage.

upinak on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Good news from Ohio, BUT:

Get out EARLY and vote!

Get your friends out to vote!

Pay no heed to the exit polls!

TROLLCOTT!!

Khun Joe on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

When Obama called the Seals, Osama bin Laden died.
When the Seals called Obama, the Seals died.

Thank you for standing up for America, gentlemen.

kingsjester on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Brilliant.

SparkPlug on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Come on Ohio…get on out there ….bring a book, bring a snack, get on line and get Obama out of your life.

lynncgb on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Obama’s concession speech will go something like this:”I um,a, um a, know a lot of you um a, um a um a expected this in November, but here in um a, um a um a, February, we finally have all of the votes recounted – twice. By um a, um a um a, hand. When an election um a, um a um a, is this close, you can’t be too careful – but um a, um a um a, it seems that 346 to 192 was in fact correct.um a, um a um a, For the many of you who um a, um a um a, support me, I’m leaving the um a, um a um a, campaign web site open for your continued donations. There’s still a um a, um a um a, lot of work to be done. So toum a, um a um a, Mitt Romney, I say um a, um a um a, you’re um a, um a um a, welcome. We have our lawyers out in every state. We will not concede until every vote is counted and all irregularities perpetrated by the Romney campaign are corrected. ”

beatcanvas on November 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM

FTFY

Animal60 on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

FIFY

tdarrington on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

So does your contract with Organizing for America run out at midnight tonight or is there an “option to extend term” clause for a recount scenario?

Glenn Jericho on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Get out in vote no matter what you hear. Tell your friends and family to get out and vote no matter what they hear….unless you know they are going to vote for Obama. Then tell them its in the bag for him so they dont have to worry about voting.

Seriously though. We cant count on anything. We need turn out. Despite what weve heard, I think Dems will be out today. They are a gullible stupid bunch and believe Obama is good for the country. We need big turn out

bucsox79 on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

They cannot.. That’s why it is probably not true. BTW, who is going to be glad when that obnoxious troll is banned after the election?

Illinidiva on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

My money is on the Seals.

dirtseller on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

When Mitt is inaugurated..
You are still going to claim faulty data..

LOL

Electrongod on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Nope, I’ll be here tonight to eat crow and will be paying off my bets.

I just hope you guys will be here to give me my accolades that are so richly deserved.

gumbyandpokey on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I voted at 7; polls opened at 6. Almost 100 people voted by then.

wargamer6 on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Re: the update- Was it true, but a mistaken post or what? I’m more than a little scattered today.

BettyRuth on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m familiar and agree with Rove’s take on OH early voting numbers, but he ignored one possible explanation.

The GOP has improved its ground game in OH. Could the uptick in GOP early votes just be a shift from people who would have otherwise voted on election day?

InDubly on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Voted at 7:50 a.m. Line was very short. When I left, the line was already expanding.

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Todd Kincannon ‏@ToddKincannon

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM
That could get messy.

Doughboy on November 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM
If this happens, I don’t see it ending well for the New Black Panthers.

tgharris on November 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

But it will end quickly…

“Buy more popcorn… CHECK!!

Khun Joe on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Kagan on November 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I’m in North Carolina but even anecdotal evidence is something. I always vote at 10 am so I can compare elections. In 2006 and 2008 I went right in, voted, and left. In 2008 there wasn’t even anyone else on the more than dozen voting machines. In 2010 I had to wait in a short line (9th person in line to be exact) while all the machines were occupied. We all know how those elections turned out. I live in suburban Charlotte (union county) which went to Bush 70-30 and McCain 63-36.

Capitalist Infidel on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Electrongod on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Remember how he thought Dixville would show an Obama “landslide”?

Oh wait…

wargamer6 on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Did Gannett pull the data from the front page because they are wrong or because it is inappropriate to post the data at this time?

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I want confirmation of the numbers by the OH secretary before I allow myself to be hopeful.

Voted 20 mins ago–big turnout for a small central NJ town. Longest wait I’ve ever encountered at the polls. FYI, the sign ratio for Romney/Ryan is about 15 to 1 around these here parts. Purely anecdotal, but still…

RepubChica on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I heard there’s a trollcott in effect, so I’ll just say–you know that one guy, gumby? Who knows how I know this, but it would appear he’s dropped all pretense of not being a liberal hack. Maybe. If he was posting here.

T-Rav on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I certainly hope those numbers are true, but I thought they weren’t supposed to be even counting the early votes yet or releasing info. Isn’t this kind of like Florida 2000 when the netnitwits were calling the state for Gore before the polls in the western panhandle had closed? DUH!

stukinIL4now on November 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

“Stay Calm” ~ That avalanche of Republican voters storming the polls are just a figment of your, (liberal), imagination.

“Stay Calm” ~ The moving van in front of the White House wasn’t supposed to arrive until January.

“Stay Calm” ~ This was the official response from the White House on 9/11/12 to the Patriots in Benghazi.

“Stay Calm” ~ Yes, you will be arrested of you attempt to vote twice.

“Stay Calm” ~ Just because Mitt Romney’s won Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, doesn’t mean we’re not counting ALL 57 STATES!

Rovin on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

If you live in Northern VA, get out to vote. The polling places are PACKED. There were a lot of 0′bama voters… made me tense. What sustains me is the thought of them scratching their heads tomorrow, wondering WTF happened.

Go Mitt!

To top it off, I learned that I was the subject of redistricting. I can’t vote that pantload Gerry Connoly out of office. VA’s 11th congressional looks very “Gerry”mandered. I’m now in the more rural 1st CD.

freedomfirst on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Hopefully this pans out. I may need to restock up a run at the liquor store for tonight.

If Romney wins a landslide – I’m go on a week-long bender.

rgrovr on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Happy Nomad on November 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

at least you have a choice.

upinak on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

* ATOMIC BOMB!

*All credit to gumbypokeme’s trolling

Skwor on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I voted at 7; polls opened at 6. Almost 100 people voted by then.

wargamer6 on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Went at 7:30, polls opened at 7, I was #100.

Animal60 on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

MSNBC is a funeral parlor right now. Do they know something?

Punchenko on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

donkichi on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Holder will ensure they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The SEALS, that is.

tdarrington on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Not sure how Ohio does it, but in Texas the absentee count normally doesn’t begin until mid-Election Day, even in the state’s biggest counties (they try to get the early vote counts done before 7 p.m., when the Election Day count gets underway, and while the early numbers come out first, they don’t post until after the polls have closed).

It would be nice if the numbers were true, but I doubt it.

jon1979 on November 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

A little false data to suppress the R vote?

tdarrington on November 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

IMHO, NO WAY the R vote will be surpressed. Think about the state of the union. The economy, Bengazi, Obamacare. These people have been waiting 4 long years to end this administration and nothing will stop them or make them hesitate to vote RR today!

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

BettyRuth on November 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

After looking at those numbers, that must be a test page or something. They have one county with every single early vote going to Romney. Not gonna happen.

The Enquirer sort of dropped the ball here…

JohnGalt23 on November 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM