How we’re going to blog the election tonight; Update: Live coverage begins!

posted at 4:21 pm on November 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

There’s only so much order you can impose on the chaos created by a magnitude 10.0 newsquake but between the four of us we’re going to try. Here’s a quick and dirty guide to our plan so that you know what to expect tonight. The easiest way to do this, we think, is to split up the labor according to poll closing times for key battleground states across the U.S. The breakdown:

7 p.m. ET to 8 p.m.: Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina
8 p.m. ET to 9 p.m.: Florida, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire
9 p.m. ET to 10 p.m.: Wisconsin, Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota
10 p.m. ET to 11 p.m.: Iowa, Nevada

We’ll have four separate threads, one for each of these groups, on the front page. I’ll take the 7 p.m. group, Erika will cover the 8 p.m. crowd, MKH will handle the 9 p.m. slot, and Ed will join in at 10 p.m. Each of us will be updating our respective threads on those states throughout the night. Any other commentary we have about the election generally or about a state we’re not assigned to cover will be posted in the Greenroom, so it’ll be worth it to open up the master page in a separate tab and check in periodically. Should be lots of material in there. On top of all that, Ed will be co-hosting the Hugh Hewitt show tonight beginning at 6 p.m. ET; you can watch it here beginning at 6pm Eastern.

Prepare for a clusterfark, in other words, but hopefully a happy one. (One way to prepare: Make sure you know the basics of the electoral math.) To tide you over until showtime, here’s a rewarding Onion bit about the stupid predictability and predictable stupidity of social media today. (How bad is it out there? Dude.) It’s funny but profane, so please observe your official content warning.

Update (Ed): We’ve already begun our coverage on the Hugh Hewitt Show — so be sure to watch us live!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

NBC News projects Romney will win South Carolina

3 mins ago by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

LOL

dukecitygirl on November 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

The ink was dry on that prediction 3 years and 364 days ago. He.

LEBA on November 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Please electoral gods, let me be wrong and Romney win.

Zaggs on November 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

More: NBC News declares Romney the projected winner in Mississippi

43 secs ago by editor

CBS New projects Romney wins Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee

3 mins ago by editor

CNN projects Obama wins Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island

5 mins ago by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

5 mins ago by editor

canopfor

damn, thought Romney had a real shot at Maryland (j/k).

Zaggs on November 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

When do the electoral votes post from Kenya?

g2825m on November 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Florida, Ohio, Virginia among states too close to call in presidential race – @NBCNews; live video, updates:

1 min ago from http://www.breakingnews.com by editor

32 secs ago by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

When do the electoral votes post from Kenya?

g2825m on November 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

It is being sent by Drum.

Bulletchaser on November 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

with 28.6 in VA is 56-R, 42-O

Zaggs on November 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

O’Reilly just explained why this nation is lost……

famous amos on November 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Photo: Poll workers in a tent in Sandy-damaged Staten Island, NY – Getty Images, via @BuzzFeedAndrew

1 min ago from twitpic.com by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

O’Reilly is an idiot, IMHO

D-fusit on November 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM

With 23% reporting in Florida, Romney holds narrow lead, some key counties not yet reported – @nytimes

4 mins ago from elections.nytimes.com by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

@CBSDenver tweeted:
CBSDenver
#BreakingNews; @CBSNews projects Arkansas for Gov. Romney and New Jersey for President Obama. #Election2012 http://t.co/HxCK0Ab5

2 mins ago from twitter.com by partner

@nbcwashington tweeted:
nbcwashington
#Breaking: @NBCNews projects that Ben Cardin has won the election for U.S. Senator from Maryland http://t.co/daSOgIWj

4 mins ago from twitter.com by partner
=============================================

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Ya Baby……………..

North Carolina elects 1st Republican governor in 2 decades – @ABC

1 min ago from abcnews.go.com by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Pray. Pray now.

IdrilofGondolin on November 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Romney will win so BIG it’s gonna make those Dems cower like the skirt-hoop sissy boys they are.

Just wait………………………..

P.S. O’Reilly… is so fully of Unicorn (or Rocking horse) manure it’s not funny.

WE SHALL WIN THIS BATTLE FOR AMERICA

Patience, my friends.

GreatCommunicator on November 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Im telling you , seeing The One after Hurricane Sandy right off did nothing BUT help Obama and the media went in like it was supposed to, got the quick photo op, and then praised dear leader. Never did it really follow up on how things were really going, and it also helped bury Benghazi. If Obama wins ( I am nervous to say the least ) the media single handily helped him. This guy could not RUN ON ONE THING HE HAS DONE BESIDE BIN LADEN!

watertown on November 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

970wfla (radio) is sounding awfully pessimistic about Romney’s chances in Florida.

lorien1973 on November 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

lorien1973 on November 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Schnidt (spelling?) is a Debbie Downer? Why? We’re losing I-4?

toliver on November 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I guess I misunderstood how a live blog works – I thought I’d see blog posts in semi-real time. This is more like a ‘live comments’ page. I can get that every day, here at HT

bs4948800 on November 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

bs4948800 on November 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Maybe they mean the live Hugh Hewitt show.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Ugh.

eaglesdontflock on November 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Like millions I never imagined America could drop to the depths that it now has. Life is short and I have spent too much time following this election especially since I now realize what the outcome will be. I am done commenting, reading, thinking and arguing about politics, etc. The election has made it clear that a Republican candidate will never win again.

The only hope that remains is one that is in God and is eternal. I regret that I took so long to come to this conclusion. I wish everyone well and will pray for our country. Truly there are too many who are so deceived as evidenced by this election.

Best to all.

sdbatboy on November 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

To quote John Belushi in Animal House: “was it over when the Germans bombed Pearly Harbor? Hell no. And it ain’t over now”.

The more DEPRESSED conservative contributors on Fox (f-off all) are not in the “real” bubble.

Romney will win. Just wait my friends, just wait.

Sad note though: they called it for Lizzy “Pow-Wow” Warren here in the People’s Republik. Oh well, lots of “free stuff” people here in the Bay State live in steerage. “Captain: Ice berg straight ahead”.

GreatCommunicator on November 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I personally am thinking about “shrugging”.

BigFluffyClouds on November 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I hope you’re right GC.

Ukiah on November 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I think that I’m going to puke.
I feel like I’m watching the death of the nation.

justltl on November 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I congratulate the re-election of “President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho”. Good luck finding someone to carry the water.

BigFluffyClouds on November 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

FLORIDA
O 3,886,172 49.33%
R 3,886,172 49.33%

From Drudge.

jatfla on November 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM

NO Way!

jatfla on November 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Romney wins NC?

jatfla on November 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

When was the last time Susan Estrich was on Fox? I can’t remember

BigFluffyClouds on November 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Where’s the Military vote…Jax, Tampa, Pensacola, Panama City?

jatfla on November 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I feel like I’m watching the death of the nation.

justltl on November 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Yup. Maybe marijuana will be legalized and I can learn how to smoke.

vityas on November 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

We’re being gamed, people.
President is Obama with a Democrat Senate and Republican House. This means a steady progression into a Fascist (using the Von Mises term) state.
This may be the last election people actually believe their vote makes an outcome, IMHO.

BigFluffyClouds on November 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I want a free ObamaPhone now

faraway on November 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Well, shit, if you’re already at 6 trillion, why not try and double it, right?

Reaps on November 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Just wait until Obamacare kicks in completely, we are going to see massive layoffs the likes of which we have never seen. You think employment has been bad in Obama’s term? well, you ain’t seen nothing yet!! As for me, I will probably fire several people and try to wait it out for awhile but I will probably just have to just take my money and hide it all from the screaming liberals and the totally broke state governments. Good Luck America, you asked for it!!

Dollayo on November 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I feel like I’m watching the death of the nation.

justltl on November 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

My first inclination was to say you are. You truly are watching the death of the nation. The reality however, is that we have been watching the slow progressive death of this once great nation as over time half of the public who bother to vote have become less informed, ignorant, apathetic and told that they are entitled to free stuff. My forefathers, the ones who left their comfortable homes and packed what they could carry into a new world, a new life, one which promised something better for their children and countless descendants…wasted their time. In less than a quarter of a century this wonderful nation full of promise has become exactly what it was my forefathers fled. We have been watching the death of this nation for our entire lives. What we are seeing now is the dirt being tossed in the hole…covering our coffin.
I feel sick. I feel sad. I feel hurt. It is over. We knew, we all knew or had to know that this day was coming. If that many voters want it this way then this formerly great nation now deserves everything it is about to get. That is all. I’m going to go cry now.

manyears on November 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Anybody know anything about this popular vote deciding electoral win law?

Seems to be a blue state thing… could this possibly change the outcome?

Ukiah on November 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM

A death sentence has just been issued for all of us seniors — have the death panels kill us all off and the government won’t have to make medicare payments and issue social security checks. On second thought, I don’t want to live in Obamerica.

polarglen on November 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Nevermind that link I posted above, apparently wishful thinking.

Ukiah on November 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I have never been more disgusted with America than I am tonight. What can I say. To those of you here, my heart is broken and I know many of yours are as well. The America I’ve known for so many years died tonight, on my birthday no less.

Yes, there’s a good chance that those who got their free cell phones voted for the death of my husband and perhaps even me. I gladly leave my portion of the US debt behind for the children and grandchildren of liberals. In the next four years they will be disappointed to find out that there is no more money to pay for those freebies they so dearly love.

It’s specifically shameful that there are so many people in America willing to vote for a man who issued a stand down order on 09/11/2012 which caused 4 Americans serving their country to be murdered. And then, he didn’t even have the GUTS to tell the truth; but you were willing to allow him to get away with it.

This is no longer my America.

katablog.com on November 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

manyears on November 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I’m with you. I can see my way to even get out of bed tomorrow.

katablog.com on November 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

really sad.
they don’t know what they have done. They just thought they were voting for the man who would give them free health care, who wouldn’t make them work or pay for their own abortions. They wanted to continue free housing (section 8 vouchers) free food (food stamps) and whatever else he promised.
What they are going to get is no military, no gas, no oil, rising food costs, more unemployment, and no Constitution. I give it six months..
President Johnson and the Democrats gave us the Department of Indoctrination, oops I mean the Department of Education. All the radical leftists have filled these institutions and they permeate every inch of our Federal government. They have taken the children and turned them into modern day Brown Shirts. Obama spent all his time speaking at high schools and on college campuses.
They out number Freedom loving citizens.
The war has yet to begin.

Delsa on November 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

WE SHALL WIN THIS BATTLE FOR AMERICA.

Patience, my friends.

GreatCommunicator on November 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

America won. You lost. Deal with it.

independentvoice on November 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

When do the electoral votes post from Kenya?

g2825m on November 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

It is being sent by Drum.

Bulletchaser on November 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Ahh, more racist nonsense from bigots. Go drown in your tears.

independentvoice on November 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Will someone give me a convincing argument why someone would vote for a President who has campaigned and played golf for four years while the country went down the toilet?

The taxes will skyrocket, the economy will stall, more people will lose their jobs, more people will be on welfare, the Islamists will gain more power, Iran will get a nuke, Obamacare will be going full steam, energy prices will rise, food prices will rise, the Fed will print more and more money,etc, etc, etc.

Who will the idiots vote for then?

gordo on November 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

We will not longer have a vote. I am not sure we do now. Lambs to the slaughter.

Delsa on November 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM