Dean: Obama can’t lose Ohio — unless it’s because of voter suppression, of course

posted at 3:41 pm on November 6, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

On MSNBC this morning, former governor of Vermont and DNC chairman Howard Dean affirmed his belief that, when it comes to Obama in Ohio, there’s simply no way the man could lose given the state of the [early] vote and the polls — which seems odd, because the last time I checked, the early vote is looking pretty fair for Romney and the polls have the candidates in a dead heat in Ohio.

There’s some reports in Ohio… of voting machines that aren’t working in Toledo and Dayton and Cleveland and some reports of voter harassment in the Philadelphia area. So I think, actually, the president’s going to win this if we have a fair election. … Yep, it’s a problem. … Given the vote and the leading of the polls in Ohio, the only way he can lose is if people are prevented from casting their ballots, either by voting machines that aren’t functioning right or other forms of harassment.

Firstly, I wonder if he actually meant to conclude quite what he did — voting problems are the only possible way that Romney could win Ohio? Really? Also, there have been reports of some sketchy election goings-on in Pennsylvania, but they’re of the sort that would be favorable to a Barack Obama victory. And secondly, I think we can all agree that voting-machine malfunctions (whether accidental or intentional), voter intimidation, and other forms of voter suppression are indeed real things that exist in the physical world, and are absolutely unacceptable in any shape, manner, or form. But if we can all agree that real efforts at voter suppression exist, why can’t Democrats seem to accept the notion that voter fraud is a real thing, too? If they can acknowledge that it’s possible people might use certain methods of cheating to influence election outcomes, why aren’t all methods of cheating treated with equal scrutiny?

For example, here’s some news fresh out of California, via NBC:

An NBC Bay Area Investigation has uncovered thousands of California voters who remain on the voter rolls despite having  died several years ago.

That discovery prompted several state and Bay Area election officials to re-examine their records, after our investigation brought this issue to light. …

A closer look at the data revealed that some of the dead people were not only registered, but somehow, even voted, several years after their death. Sometimes, clerks say the mistake can purely be a clerical error, such as a misplaced signature or an outdated registration list that hadn’t been purged. Other times, though, the voting turns out to be fraud, clerks say, where family members vote on their dead relatives’ behalf.

Yes, but voter-ID laws are baseless, racist attempts to disenfranchise minorities and the poor. Riiiight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I forgot the sarcasm tag.

No worries…I was first one at the poll this morning. We have some serious propositions to handle this go around.

Ditkaca on November 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Glad to hear that, all is well. *cheers*

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

In the firmament of losers, this guy is a standout!

rjoco1 on November 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Yes, they’re from Diebold, and they all malfunction exactly the same way. if you push the “Romney” pad, it records a vote for Obama. And if you push the one for Obama… it records a vote for Obama.

Of course, by Democratic Party standards, this is not considered a malfunction. Just Diebold knowing which side their bread is buttered on.

clear ether

eon

eon on November 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

From one californian to another: this should be your last post here then. You’re definitely part of the problem Sir/Mam.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I forgot the sarcasm tag.

Ditkaca on November 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

DOH…. OK, you Bishop’d me…. o_O

SWalker on November 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

OT Christ Christie is just despicable.

What a sellout shill for Obama.

Disgusting.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

What did he do now?

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

OT Christ Christie is just despicable.

What a sellout shill for Obama.
Disgusting.
PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I will second that feeling! That fat bastid can kiss off if he had any aspirations of natiional office. I am willing to campaign against him when he is up for re-election.

Rockshine on November 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

gillepsie thinks 300 EV is very doable

talking with wolfie

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I think he’s just commenting on what happened over the last week.

wargamer6 on November 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’m just glad my deceased father was not registered to vote because he was not a citizen. I would hate to think someone was using his name to vote for Obama in Michigan.

HawaiiLwyr on November 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Dr. Yeagh did another interview.

22044 on November 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Dean is about as now as Tang.

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

SO not only are we racists, we are CHEATING racists. Man we are so evil. I can’t believe how evil we are.

Lily on November 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

You forgot sexist and homophobic.

Now if you’ll all excuse me, I’m going to go stomp some kittens while I await the poll results.

J.H. on November 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Ditkaca on November 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

You just don’t joke about something like that…

OmahaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I think he’s just commenting on what happened over the last week.

wargamer6 on November 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Thanks

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Our family is preoccupying ourselves by listening to Silly Songs by Larry.

Today’s a good a day as any … LOLOL

pambi on November 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

J.H. on November 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m so evil, when I look in the mirror, I scare myself.

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

David Limbaugh ‏@DavidLimbaugh

“Turnout in Republican areas is unbelievable.” says Billy Cunningham, who applauds the “Chick Fil A voter.”

Stephen Green ‏@VodkaPundit

@DavidLimbaugh What state is he calling from?

David Limbaugh ‏@DavidLimbaugh

@VodkaPundit Ohio. Radio host in Cincinnati I think.
Hide conversation

Chris Cooper ‏@disloyalopp

@DavidLimbaugh @VodkaPundit He said that there is 75% voter turnout by 3:00 pm in county surrounding Cinci!

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

These are for you!

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

So sweet.

Talk at you all later – work calls

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Demorat Rule #1:

If the demorat wins then the people have spoken with wisdom and intelligence.

If the Republican wins then someone cheated.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Just make Republicans play by the same rules you require. If Obama wins tonight, no whining about Black Panthers in Philadelphia or Obama’s Chicago Ballot Stuffing Operation or whatever other bs you want to come up with. I won’t say anything about voter suppression and we can all agree it was a fair election. Does that work? Can your side play by the rules, too?

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Empty chair, empty office

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Dean knows Ohio is a ‘must win’, ergo Obama can only lose by fraud. He’s evidently forgotten that ACORN is dead.

GarandFan on November 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

OIHO may still have the Akron Zips, but it no longer has the ACORN zipper heads to steal votes!

Benedict Nelson on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Dean recommends Atari 2600s for everyone!

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Court appointed Republican election officials denied entry to or ejected from polling places in Philly, an Obama mural on the wall of a polling place and an Obama poster on the wall of another, election officials wearing Obama headgear while checking in voters, and NBPP thugs standing outside of polling places. Now, remind me again which is the party of voter intimidation, suppression, and disenfranchisement. Yeah, I thought so.

College Prof on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Even election observers from Foreign countries AMAZED and SHOCKED that the US doesn’t require ID to vote. Calling it an invitation to widespread FRAUD.

Guess they don’t understand that the Democrat party would collapse w/o corruption/voter fraud.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Benedict Nelson on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Not to worry the Black Panthers have taken their place. And ACORN is still around, just operating under a different name.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Demorat Rule #1:

If the demorat wins then the people have spoken with wisdom and intelligence.

If the Republican wins then someone cheated.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

OK.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Whoops, looks like both sides do this.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Keep in mind that most of countries have a much simpler political system, and voting there is a breeze. Ballots are usually much shorter; here’s an example from Iraq a few years ago:

Pick one:

____ Saddam Hussein

____ Kill my family

BobMbx on November 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Voter fraud is acceptable because it takes months and sometimes years for the cases to be investigated and to make their way through the legal system by which time it no longer matters what is found to be fact or fiction. What you end up with is the Florida Floating Chad fiasco where politically friendly judges are sought out and they issue judgments from the bench for their own side.

We are of course assuming that a vote registered for Obama will be displayed as such but its possible that it could show as a Romney vote and register it as an Obama vote. It wouldn’t take more than 1 in 50 or a 100 votes to be flipped in the right counties to make a significant difference.

sharrukin on November 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Listening to my favorite Rock Station right now…

Appropriate: AC DC – Thunderstruck!!!!

We need a rock tune for the Victory tonight!

Anything but We Are the Champions…

Suggestions?

not-ur-avragejoe on November 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This is merely a back-up, in case their massively transparent attempts at voter fraud fails to disenfranchise the will of the American people.

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I’m going out on a limb here………I think Obama is going to win tonight.

And I hope I’m very very wrong.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

What makes you say that, Pappy?

Grace_is_sufficient on November 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

BS?

You mean those photo’s of the New Black Panthers were faked?

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

No, because the Democrats do the majority of the voting fraud in the country so a truce on pointing it out lets them get away with even more, doesn’t it?

sharrukin on November 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

These will make you feel better. Look at the turnout reports! They are incredible. Limbaugh has some things on Ohio and Martinez on Florida.

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Is this Dean character still licensed to prescribe drugs?

Barnestormer on November 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM

…Howard Dean is probably a crack head…AND a troll on Hot Air!

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

That’s alright, Howie. I think the same thing, but in reverse – if Obama wins, it will be because of voter fraud.

See, the difference is, we have evidence on our side that says *your* side is doing it. You, however, are just making sh1t up.

And the Dems aren’t against voter ID because they’re concerned about disenfranchisement – it’s entirely because they *know* it will restrict their ability to continue to rig the vote. Plain and simple.

Midas on November 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

So, did we get any new trolls today, or is it just the usual gang of idiots?

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

sharrukin on November 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Ha! It’s willfully ignorant of you to think that both sides aren’t doing the exact same things to try to win this election. Something like $6 billion has been spent. The stakes are high. No one is giving away an edge to the other side.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Dean’s an ass of the first magnitude..

It’s my state.. and voting is off the charts, everybody is talking about it, and most are talking about when they’re going to the polls.. with a despondent liberal base, a hyper energized republican one..

High voter turn out is Obama’s worst nightmare..

and chuckles..

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

We don’t have our guys on the evening news waving nightsticks at the dem voters..

YOUR side does that to ours.. especially elderly vulnerable white voters,… my,.. how the race baiters abound in the democrat swamp..

I’ll tell you what..

You find a friggin democrat who actually keeps their word, and doesn’t cheat or renege when the vote goes against him..

you’ll have found the first.

I know too many democrats, and lying is what they do.. their consensus opinion is lying to the other side is OK, because there are NO rules you follow but win.. cemeteries are your untapped voter pool.. thugs your motivational speakers..

Your “side” has NO credibility here to wager…..

mark81150 on November 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I’m so evil, when I look in the mirror, I scare myself.

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Well see, here’s the thing. When I look in the mirror, I don’t see evil. I just see a patriotic American granny. But then I guess we can never see ourselves for who we really are. For instance the libs I know look in the mirror and see geniuses.

Morons.

Lily on November 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Just the facts, and we do NOT ignore the truth, like the other side.

pambi on November 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Midas on November 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

And once there is Voter ID you’ll just say the Democrats issued fake IDs to a bunch of people. Your endless whining will never stop.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

mark81150 on November 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

You have to understand something about the LEFT (this is true all over the world), unlike conservatives like us who think the LEFT is wrong in policy, etc.

The LEFT doesn’t think we are wrong they think we are EVIL, so the ends always justify the means in their heads.

That’s the difference between the LEFT and us.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I stand by what I said 100%. WE conservatives are the ones trying to push VOTER ID LAWS. While you lefties are the ones trying to block those efforts.

Why is that? If you care about the integrity of the vote is the LEFT so obsessed with blocking all attempts to require an ID to vote.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

There was a potential moby on the Open Thread for anecdotes—FiveG. I gave him a warning because I didn’t recognize his name.

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I’m going out on a limb here………I think Obama is going to win tonight.

And I hope I’m very very wrong.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Here’s something to help you off the ledge—> EARLY VOTING RESULTS: Report Forecasts Mitt Romney Will Win Ohio

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The easily recognizable trolls don’t usually bother me. It’s the ones who are mobys that I consider the most damaging. Of course, many of them make comments that sound hollow.

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

BobMbx on November 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

How can you compare the voting in a banana republic to voting in civilized countries. Don’t see your point.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Expect a lot of Mobys and concern trolls here tonight.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Our family is preoccupying ourselves by listening to Silly Songs by Larry.

Today’s a good a day as any … LOLOL

pambi on November 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Cebu?

Cheeseburger song?

Barbara Manatee?

Dance of the Cucumber? (miren al pepino; sus suaves movemientos, tal como mantaquilla un en chango pelon…)

Midas on November 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

It seems that every once in a while they let the idiots out of the shed. Idiots such as Dean and our ex governor Ted Strickland.

flstc on November 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Morons.

Lily on November 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

LOL….. GAWD….. that describes every political democrat I ever met.. every one of them sees themselves as think tank material.. and they ALL buy into the MSNBC lunatic Conga Line of stereotypes about republicans and conservatives..

I’ve had close friends who were democrats..

but..

they weren’t crazy liberals.. just rank and file democrat voters, who are no different than us.. they’re just misinformed. Hell, they’re more republican than democrat,.. they just buy into the legacy thang.. Daddy was a democrat.. so they vote dem without thinking about it much..

My wife admitted with a grin, she voted straight line ballot republican this time.. and she was a democrat since birth just about..

I told her I was a bad.. bad influence on her….

God knows her mother thinks so.

mark81150 on November 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

No whining here, f@#$wit – just the facts.

Midas on November 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

While you lefties are the ones trying to block those efforts.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I honestly don’t care if Voter ID passes, I voted against it because I want the most people possible to be able to vote if they so choose, but I don’t think it will be that big of a deal if it passes anyway. I definitely won’t be committing voter fraud either way.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Michael Barone is sticking with “prediction” prediction only, that Romney is going to win PA.

hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

He’s doing exactly what he claims others are doing with that statement.

OMG, Ohio is preordained Obama, I’ll stay home and sulk!

Suck a lemon, Howie. My state is coming through for Mitt.

ConDem on November 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

INC on November 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Yeah, those are really the slimiest kind. The Grima Wormtongues of the troll world (if you’ll pardon my nerdistry). The lowest of the low.

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Not delivering ballots to the troops is voter supression, Mr. Dean.

kemojr on November 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Expect a lot of Mobys and concern trolls here tonight.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Oh, yeah.

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Tolkien is not just for nerds!

INC on November 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

After I punch Reid in the face this a$$bag is #2 on the list. Loudmouth demagogue and total turd.

gsherin on November 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Easily fixed – stop f&ck%ng cheating and we’ll stop whining.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Easily fixed – stop f&ck%ng cheating and we’ll stop whining.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM

If you think one side is cheating and the other isn’t you have lost your mind.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Expect a lot of Mobys and concern trolls here tonight.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Expect the floodgates of feckless frippery to be opened wide tonight.

Also, a lot of stoopid people.

squint on November 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

squint on November 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

A friend of mine on FB put up a poster of Aragorn on horseback before the Black Gate with “A day may come when the courage of men fails, but it is not this day.”

You should also know we took our kids to the earliest showing of all three movies. My husband and I were in college when Tolkien came in like a whirlwind. My college town used to have a restaurant/bar called Bilbo & Gandalf’s (long, long before the movies) with tables made of varnished tree trunks.

INC on November 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Frightening that this clown had a viable shot at becoming POTUS.

Of course, he’s only saying what everyone in the current admin and most of the Democratic Party thinks.

farsighted on November 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Leave it to the corrupt to cry about cheating, nasty & deceitful creatures that they are, that’s how they see the world, a mirror of themselves.

arand on November 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

INC on November 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Ah, that sounds neat! Yeah, I read Tolkien back before the movies. Back then, people looked at you funny. Like, what the hell are you reading?!

squint on November 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Thats just dumb.

Mimzey on November 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

David Limbaugh ‏@DavidLimbaugh

RT @Jbroks86 RT @AriFleischer: My GOP sources who know OH are telling me turnout is equal to and greater than Bush 2004…

Larry Schweikart Larry Schweikart ‏@LSchweikart

@DavidLimbaugh @Jbroks86 @AriFleischer Butler 121%. LOL http://bit.ly/Uhub5r

= at 121% of 1of the reddest counties with three hours to go

(I think this is CST).

INC on November 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM

If you think one side is cheating and the other isn’t you have lost your mind.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Not as much as you’re going to lose your mind before tonight is over.

P.S. – don’t pass out face down, you’ll drown in the pool of your tears.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Given that the Dems in Ohio were bringing in Somalis by the busload to vote, if the R’s are trying to suppress the vote, they’re sucking at it. (If I recall correctly, story was on Drudge last week)

talkingpoints on November 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I told her I was a bad.. bad influence on her….

God knows her mother thinks so.

mark81150 on November 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

My mother was a Democrat precinct chairwoman. Voted Democrat her whole life, until Reagan. Stayed Democrat by registration but didn’t vote for another one until the day she died. Whereupon I suppose she started voting Democrat again.

Lily on November 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Late to the party. My impression is that the Dems are starting to make their excuses now.

COgirl on November 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Not as much as you’re going to lose your mind before tonight is over.

P.S. – don’t pass out face down, you’ll drown in the pool of your tears.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM

If Romney wins it won’t bother me at all. I won’t even blame it on voter suppression! It will actually be better for me personally if he wins and actually lowers taxes 20% like he says he will (not likely). However, I actually care about my fellow countrypeople so I don’t mind paying taxes in order to provide the less fortunate with housing and food stamps. Either way, I’ll be fine.

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Dean and MSNBC–all you need to know about unicorn farms, rainbows, and fairy dust.

BMF on November 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Decency/jobs/coal/Benghazi/leadership/humanity/finances will win the day.

Love of country will be the icing on the cake.

Revenge will go to HI.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

talkingpoints on November 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

So what if they were legal voters? Or are you saying people that look Somalian can not possibly be legal voters?

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

It never ceases to amaze me what a dope Dean is. We have the New Black Panthers in PA, Holder’s inlaws. Already setting up the beef for the loss.

StevC on November 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Thats just dumb.

Mimzey on November 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Tell sonofabitch that they only need a utility bill, which is a joke.

slickwillie2001 on November 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Thats just dumb.

Mimzey on November 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Tell sonofabatch that they only need a utility bill, which is a joke.

slickwillie2001 on November 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

sob0728 on November 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Then you can keep right on paying at the old rate or—pick a person/charity and give it directly to them. After all, you don’t need it.

arnold ziffel on November 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

squint on November 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

So we’re sitting through the credits after the first movie of the LOTR trilogy, and this young couple behind us are talking:
SHE That was great! When does the next one come out?
HE Next year.
SHE We have to wait a whole year to find out what happens!
HE You could read the book.
SHE (pause) There’s a book?

AesopFan on November 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM