An election-day lesson in free-market economics

posted at 2:21 pm on November 6, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It was a glorious, sky-blue day when I went to vote earlier today in Northern Virginia, and while there was a forty-ish-minute wait at my polling location, everyone was chatting and cheerful and there was a very good community vibe going on. Standing in line, privately reflecting on the rather rare and miraculous feat that is the American experiment and the peaceful transition of power, I spotted something else in the distance that warmed my heart in equal measure.

On one of the lawns of the homes across the street from the elementary school that served as my polling place, some not-yet-of-voting-age youngsters were taking advantage of the mass of adults swarming their ‘hood, their prime location, and their day off from school — not by sleeping in or playing video games — but by selling coffee and hot chocolate! How brilliant is that? I definitely ran a lemonade stand or two back in the day, but I have to admit a homemade coffee stand for the colder weather probably never would’ve crossed my mind at that age.

There were several kids staffing the stand, as well as a supervisory adult or two, complete with to-go supplies and large, colorful signs advertising their product. So, not only were these young entrepreneurs capitalizing on an excellent opportunity to make some pocket money, but adults who maybe rushed out of the house to get to the voting station with nary a chance for their morning coffee, or who were feeling chilled in the November air, could purchase a warming, caffeinated beverage if they so desired.

That’s the beauty of a free-enterprise system: These kids weren’t driven out of bed and to work by philanthropic notions of grandeur; rather, they were motivated to get crackin’ by the possibilities for making a profit, and in a mutually beneficial and voluntary transaction between two parties, they provided the voting adults with a convenient option for their morning joe. The profit motive isn’t evil or scary — it’s the source of all of the infrastructure, goods, services, and conveniences at our disposal. Our political freedom is a precursor to our economic freedom, and our economic freedom is the driver of our prosperity. Ain’t America great?

I bet those kids made a killing this morning, and kids like them everywhere will continue to do so — that is, until nanny-staters and regulators and tax collectors swoop down on them, telling them that they need to give back to those kids who did decide to sleep in this morning, because they didn’t actually build that coffee stand. Oof.

Comments

First! Bishop!

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Until the local union boss saw their little coffee stand. When the kids couldn’t produce their SEIU union I.D. cards the boss called some goons, and they all proceeded to destroy the stand and beat up the kids.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

hit it right on the head Erika…beginning tonight we’re gonna get back to where we belong…

RedInMD on November 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Just got back from casting my vote for Romney/Ryan… It’s is now 7% time… *clink* Now serving Stone Brewery’s Arrogant Bastard Ale… Cause, well, what else would a former Rock Star from Southern California be drinking?

SWalker on November 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

If my daughter’s report card today turns out how we expect, she will be on the honor roll.

I’ll teach her the difference between Democrats and Republicans: Under the Democrats, Her A’s and B’s would be lowered to B’s and C’s … so that her classmates with D’s and F’s can get passing grades.

aunursa on November 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

If not for the free market and the motivation for profit the welfare state couldn’t exist. But try explaining that to a Liberal. So many of them think profit = theft. Their economic ignorance knows no bounds.

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Heartwarming. Until they get audited for failing to file a 1099.

Meric1837 on November 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I solved the lemonade stand delimma. I gave my kids forged SEIU union I.D. cards.

Hey, if it works for them….

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Sorry, Erika, the IRS just hauled them off. County heath inspectors were seen waterboarding the parents.

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

If you’re in Arlington, the kids will soon be shut down by Frank O’Leary.

Got so tired of shoveling money to him I moved to Texas.

NoDonkey on November 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Hey, if it works for them….

Turtle317 on November 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Of course it works for them, ya can’t actually be a real SEIU Union Goon if ya have a real SEIU Union Goon card and ID.

SWalker on November 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

…no poll troll… (whispered it this time)

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

…no poll troll… (whispered it this time)

KOOLAID2 on November 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Ok… Where is the REAL KOOLAID2 and what have you done with him? o_O

SWalker on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If When Romney wins tonight, I will be buying up this badboy, not just to celebrate (and avoid blowing out my liver) but to engage in some free-market capitalism.

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Milton Friedman would be proud.

Lost in Jersey on November 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

If the Misfit Commie gets re-elected, the tots will have had a taste of their lot in life – doling out turnip soup to the queued proletariat – while the Misfit Commie, or those just like him, drive by in their black limousines, looking down their noses at them.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

High five. I recommend a GTX 680 and three monitors for an Nvidia Surround system. I’m a fan.

Meric1837 on November 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

With the SEIU blythely ignoring why the kids had the day off school in the first place – so their teacher union brethren could whip up the ‘Rat vote.

Steve Eggleston on November 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

You had to go and pee all over Erika’s cute story, didn’t you? ;-)

Sadly though, there is truth in what you say here. The left will gladly crush anyone’s dreams of success if they can’t grab a big piece of it for themselves.

UltimateBob on November 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Is it just me, or is Drudge particularly slow today?

KMC1 on November 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Unless you do nothing but browsing and have a rather dire budget constraints, the rig blows chunks.

Archivarix on November 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I bet those kids made a killing this morning,

You didn’t stop by the stand and buy? I typically try and stop by those type of stands when I see them. Helps to reinforce the power of the free market and teaches them a valuable lesson…plus it’s usually what, a buck?

nextgen_repub on November 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Meric1837 on November 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I already got the 6670 HD (MSI). I have definite plans to try 3 monitors, but no guarantee.

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!

faol on November 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Those kids didn’t build that.
– BHO

DOOF on November 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

If you have a coffee stand, you didn’t brew that, somebody else made that happen.

Paul-Cincy on November 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

DOOF on November 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This could be the best moniker at HotGas; it’s simple, elegant, and easy to remember.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Around here, they would’ve cleaned up – if they’d put up a sign that said:

If you voted for Obama, we reserve the right to not serve you.

The tots would’ve cleaned up. Hell, I would’ve floated ‘em a ten spot.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

aunursa on November 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I believe I read a story about a teacher who used a similar tactic to teach his students that lesson. :) He gave them the option to study, or not study, for a test. Gave the test, averaged ALL of the grades and gave EVERYBODY, even the ones who didnt study, the same grade. The ones who worked hard and study, were given the same grade as the ones who didnt. LESSON LEARNED.

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

OT: Assume that everything you read or hear today is a hoax… except “Romney wins”

faraway on November 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Back after a short intermission to Sonic. All this anxiety is gonna make my artery purge expensive! Chili cheese dogs and onion rings for everyone!

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Hey, any of you shooters preparing just in case the Dog Eater wins? I know Cabelas probably has employees on standby to raise their prices 20% if Barky wins, but I have other places I can go. I’m going to buy the limit on everything if Rombo doesn’t pull this out.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Spare a couple golden rings? <|-D

MelonCollie on November 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

This kind of strawman argument is an endemic problem with some conservative, self-proclaimed experts on American free enterprise. The government isn’t holding back Joe the Plumber from greater success in his entrepreneurial plumbing endeavors. The reason for nearly stagnant job growth in the manufacturing and other traditional sectors over the past 2 decades plus can be summarized by one word- globalization. To effectively compete in a world where hard-working people in BRIC countries are now competing for the world’s resources on a more level playing field, it’s critical to have the right skills. The US knowledge and digital economies are facing an acute shortage of qualified candidates, not suppression from regulators.

bayam on November 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Mmmmmm sounds yummy!

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Same thing at my local polling station which is the neighborhood elementary school. However, it was the PTA selling coffee and cookies as a fundraiser because the kids are in class today. First time I’ve ever seen a line out the gymnasium door since I’ve voted here and that includes the Scott Walker recall election just a few short months ago.

I was voter 1889 at 7:40 this morning. I am in heavily Republican Waukesha county – the antithesis to the Socialist Democratic Utopia of Milwaukee and the People’s Republic of Madison. I just hope the County Clerk has her fashizzle together for this election night.

Simon

Simonsez on November 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I bet those kids made a killing this morning

Yeah, right up until the city/county health inspector shows up, asks to see their vendor license, then fines them $500 on the spot, and orders them to close shop.

I R A Darth Aggie on November 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Bah… Did that weeks ago so when you slacker panicked and the price went through the roof I would have to pay the extra panic price… o_O

SWalker on November 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

O/T. I love Josh Mandel.

God help him win today.

Amen.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Best story of the day!

College Prof on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You spelled it wrong, it’s “environmentalism”.

Open up the energy resources in and around our nation and we would run out of people before we ran out of jobs, there isn’t a single sector of our economy that wouldn’t go gangbusters within a few short years.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Already have the stockpile in place. Way ahead of you there. I figure my friends and I could hold off a regiment or two if needed. ‘Manuevers’ were conducted earlier this year in the Great North Woods.

Simon

Simonsez on November 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Meric1837 on November 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I use a XFX 6850HD. Been very pleased with it so far.

CableDude on November 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Not only that — it’s a hard-coded biological imperative, natural and organic to all living creatures. In terms of survival, any animal that spends more calories hunting or gathering food than it gets in return for its effort will starve to death. We all know this. We all act this way. It’s no different with human activities — if you get less out of it than you put in (time, money, sweat, toil and tears) then you will stop. Basic human nature, basic survival instinct.

EasyEight on November 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I’ve been prepared for that scenario for over a year. Stocked up plenty of all applicable calibers. Cars will go inside the garage and 3 year old boxer is fully trained to do his part.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

A heartwarming tale of capitalism, but a lot of blue states ticket and fine such things. Actively punishing budding entrepeneurs.

Then there’s fresh foolishness like this

rayra on November 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Simon

Simonsez on November 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

LMAO! You doomsday prepper you! ;)

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Then there’s fresh foolishness like this

rayra on November 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

HOW STUPID! Thats exactly how I potty trained my son. Go pee on that rock! Makes for good aim, cuz lets face it, a 2 or 3 yr old has a hard time with that!

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

You spelled it wrong, it’s “environmentalism”.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Look at natural gas prices. Record supplies and low prices are forcing energy companies to cut back production, although further price reductions would change the cost equation for many industries. It’s not only the government responsible for throttling production.

bayam on November 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Newegg usually has some pretty good deals as well.

CableDude on November 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Excellent example. My only concern is if the slackers learned anything positive.

freedomfirst on November 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

You spelled it wrong, it’s “environmentalism”.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You spelled it wrong, too. It’s environ-mental illness.

UltimateBob on November 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Simon

Simonsez on November 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

LMAO! You doomsday prepper you! ;)

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Out here in SoCal, we call our “Maneuvers” Air Soft Wars… Had an all nighter just two weeks ago… ;)

SWalker on November 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

nextgen_repub on November 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

My son works as a Papa Johns driver in the evenings to help pay for college. One night he came home with a huge grin on his face. When I asked about work, he said it was busy… but that one delivery took him through a neighborhood where two little girls had a lemonade stand out front. He immediately pulled over (with the hot pizza!) and bought a glass and instead of 50 cents, gave them $5 and told them to keep the change! He got his lemonade and they immediately ran into the house shouting with joy to their mom over the money they just made!

My son told me that he remembered when he had set up a stand, and just had to “pass it on”! (I am SO proud of that boy!)

dominigan on November 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

bayam on November 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Yeah well when you figure out a process that can make asphalt shingles, cell phone cases, and toothbrushes from natural gas you be sure to get it patented.

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

My polling place in CA was pretty full. Had to wait a few minutes for a machine, and I have never seen that before.

We had a couple of high school girls helping out at the polls and they were so wide-eyed and helpful! Really cute. They’re learning a good lesson in civics, and how important it is to vote, even in a place that won’t decide the president.

My continuing complaint: loud talking in the polling place! What is up with that? And why must the translator and the Hispanic voter talk at full volume??? It’s really hard to concentrate.

PattyJ on November 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

O/T. I love Josh Mandel.

God help him win today.

Amen.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Amen Pappy!

I take it you’re in Ohio too? That boy (and does he ever look it!) is quite the model for integrity! Brown had to dig deep to smear him, and it showed!

dominigan on November 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

bayam on November 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Actually, supplies have been running high for years now… and my heating bill would tell me if they were cutting back production (which they haven’t).

dominigan on November 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Ditto…
My kid was even dropping deuces in the backyard. Good thing neither of us was hauled off!

freedomfirst on November 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

dominigan on November 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Awesome! I’m proud of him, too!

freedomfirst on November 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM

PattyJ on November 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My continuing complaint would be that translators, and the people who need them, are at a polling place at all.

“Vote Aqui.” I want to vomit.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM

kcd on November 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

In my experience raising 4 boys, there was also more motivation to pee on something than into the toilet.

Boys. :-)

Marine_Bio on November 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Wasn’t a liberal neighborhood. They’re the ones who sic the health department on kids doing this stuff. Can’t have those germs breeding….

unclesmrgol on November 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Boys. :-)

Marine_Bio on November 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

It’s not just us humans, either. I had a male Sheltie – and when I’d rake leaves into a bunch of piles – he’d go around and pee on every one of ‘em.

His backyard, his piles.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I have the AMD FX-8120. It’s quite good.
Make sure that you have an alternate cooling solution!

I bought an Antec Kuhler H2O 620 cheap from a big-box store. It has worked fine. (Prime95 max-heat torture test for one hour: CPU topped at 47C. Idles at 32C.)

Otherwise, if you have a very well ventilated case with plenty of fans, and you don’t overclock you will be fine.

RedCrow on November 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Bishop on November 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

That sounds like that nasty manufacturing. We can’t have that!

slickwillie2001 on November 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

PattyJ on November 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

“Vote Aqui.” I want to vomit.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Should not be needed at all. One of the requirements of the U.S. Naturalization process is that you demonstrate that you can speak and read English. If anyone can’t, their documentation needs a hard look.

slickwillie2001 on November 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Awesome! I’m proud of him, too!

freedomfirst on November 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Thank you.

dominigan on November 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I agree, guys, it’s insane that people who can’t speak English and need to have a running conversation with a translator should NOT BE VOTING.

PattyJ on November 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

PattyJ on November 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I know what you’re trying to say but you might want to rephraze that.

NapaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

My Best Friend and our two daughters all went together to Fairfax Town Hall to vote earlier today. My youngest (12 going on 35) was holding my hand as we approached the entrance. In front of the crowd at the entrance . . :
“Lizzie?”
“Yes Daddy?”
“Know how to tell when a Democrat is lying?”
“Their lips move?”

. . which made some of the crowd quite unhappy.

Not that I care.

We went inside, and waited about 45 minutes to vote. Now, this was at 10:30, and was the longest line I have ever seen in this Precinct. Usussally, we are in and out in 10 minutes. One of our neighbors is a poll watcher, and she told us that the lines have been like this all day.

When i got to the front, I asked how many had voted so far. I was told the turnout was already more than last midterm, and over 60% of the 2008 turnout.

Broken glass, indeed.

WilGolden on November 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Sad but likely, all of the above.

But I bet the cute kids got a lot of warm smiles from cold linestandees.

Who is John Galt on November 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Until the health department shows up and shuts them down!

nazo311 on November 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I was contemplating this myself. I got the call around lunchtime that voting times were running TWO HOURS in my precinct. (Discussing it with my fellow linestanders, we figured they screwed up the precincts this year with a huge new development going in in our area.) So, I stopped and bought a couple of sodas and a candy bar for standing in line. Once I was in line, I got to wondering if it was legal to come into the school with a cooler full of sodas and sell them to the other folks in line. (I also contemplated selling – or giving away – my spare, while standing there.) My excuse for the cooler would be that I wanted someplace to sit while waiting. :)

Barring that, someone might have made a killing just by ordering pizza and selling it at the 100′ line for $1-2 a slice. (Though, you would have had to leave line to go get it – ours was all inside the school.)

They announced just before the polls closed (while I was in line, and with 100+ people still behind me) they had 2200 people vote there already today.

One other quirk was that we voted with paper ballots this year – square-bubble forms, with an optical reader. First time in several years we haven’t used the electronic voting.

GWB on November 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM