10 pm: Iowa, Nevada, & the West

posted at 9:31 pm on November 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

If you’ve gotten this far without either popping champagne corks or cerebral arteries, the toughest of the two major swing states are next up for us.  Iowa has been too close to call through a number of polls, but Nevada’s been leaning toward Obama — even though the population contains a significant Mormon vote that should swing to Romney.  With any luck, Romney ends up not needing either state; if he does, this might be a tough night.

For Iowa, you can get updates on voting results from Twitter by following the Secretary of State’s account.  Otherwise, you can brave slow load times by going directly to the results page on their website.  In Nevada, they don’t have a Secretary of State — they have the Cashier’s Window.  Just kidding! Nevada’s SoS has a very nice web page set up to display the data as well as map the results as they come in.

Update, 9:56 ET: Nothing much to report on my section of the country, but Iowa closes in a few minutes.  The paths for a Romney win have all been eliminated except FL-NC-VA-OH and either Colorado or Iowa.  This thread may not make too much difference overall, but Iowa might still be important.

Update: An interesting point:

With so much voter dissatisfaction, it’s interesting that we’re on the cusp of keeping the status quo in the House, Senate, and White House.

Update: Not sure what this means:

Doesn’t sound as though CBS wants to make a call, but Iowa only has 11% of precincts reporting.

Update: Minnesota isn’t on my beat, ironically, but it’s worth mentioning that the early returns show both the voter-ID and traditional marriage constitutional amendments trailing, with about 41% Yes for each.

Update: The New York Post has a cheerier take:

Arizona has a key Senate race, but I expect Jeff Flake to win that pretty easily, too.

Update: Colorado is also not my beat, but this isn’t good news:

Harsanyi’s there on the ground.

Update, 11:04 ET: Pacific & Mountain Time calls for Romney: ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ.  For Obama: WA, CA.  Still not called: NV, OR.

Update: Jim Geraghty works out the numbers and discovers that elections aren’t exactly efficient:

Imagine what it would cost to flip California!

Update: CBS calls Iowa for Obama:

That’s been trending all hour, so it’s no surprise — but with Fox calling Ohio for Obama, it’s not very important.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 18

Where are the exploding msnbc heads? lolololololol

HotAirLib on November 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Fake Indian wins in MA, what a disgrace.

WisCon on November 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

That is an indictment of the left more than anything else.

We are within a decade of Atlas Shrugged levels of failure.

tom daschle concerned on November 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

don’t post very serious stuff here much anymore, but here’s one for you.

Nut the f*ck up, HotAir. Nut the f*ck up.

This race is not over. We have people still voting in VA. It’s still being tallied in FL. Same in OH. People are confused as to why WI was called so soon with counties swinging towards Romney.

Everyone calm. The. Hell. Down.

This is NOT OVER.

blatantblue on November 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

You may have a point. Everyone here should be old enough to have lived through President Gore and President Kerry.

Dreadnought on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

We get what we deserve, but as for me, I think they stole it. One solution to that, and it involves a very serious exercise of the 2nd amendment.

nobar on November 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Um, what?

You-Eh-Vee on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Where are the exploding msnbc heads? lolololololol

HotAirLib on November 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

They have an eternity in hell for that hal.

tom daschle concerned on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

Yes. RT @TheFix: The big three are still out: If Romney wins FL, VA, OH — all close — (and NC), he is at 266 electoral votes.

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Latest from Florida…
Obama up by 39k votes with about 86% reporting. Very, very close. Wonder how many panhandle votes are outstanding vs. SE Florida votes?

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I told you wingnuts we got this. Take America back my a$$

HotAirLib on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Screw Christie with a splintery one sideways. That fat bastard and his drooling over Obama guaranteed us four more years in hell. Likely more. I don’t see us winning another one after this. We’re too far gone after all.

He sold out all of America and that includes the people of his own state… all for some federal money. I repeat.. he sold us out including the very people he says he fights for.

What’s left to say.

JellyToast on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I am already prepared to move capital and jobs out of this country. Can’t put up with 4 more years. Not alone either. E onomic meltdown coming soon.

Ellis on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I’m sure women are breaking for Obama based on hurricanes and Chris Christie.

Emotional voters pure and simple. Maybe it was suppose to happend like this. Call it divine intervention in the case of the hurricane. Christie’s action was pure stupidity.

clemycali on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Bret Baier calls NH the “live free or die state” goes for Obama. So much for freedom.

tim c on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

WOW – This night has gone from bad to worst. Not a single bright spot for republicans. What a disaster!

brewcrew67 on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My friend just told me Elizabeth Warren beat Scott Brown. I’m trying to find a link for it but my google-fu is lacking. Anyone know if its true?

mythicknight on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Dick Morris ‏@DickMorrisTweet

#election2012 can afford to lose Col and NH and still win if we win Fla, Va, NC, and Ohio

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

New Yorkers voted for big Government even though they failed after Sandy..

It’s all they know….Government…

Electrongod on November 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

“Well, something must be done with the little People”. /s

seesalrun2 on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

God help us.

I live in VA and my female friend and I are sitting here watching Fox news literally praying Romney takes OH, our state & FL.

SgtSVJones on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I thought two East coast/Upper Midwest candidates were suppose to…..deliver some of the east coast and upper midwest.

portlandon on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Maybe someday you people will wake up and stop voting Republican.

You so-called conservatives have picked Romney, McCain, Bush, Dole, Bush, Reagan (while deluding yourself that he was a conservative), etc. You’ve given us the Patriot Act, the DHS, the TSA, Kelo, Sitz, Obamacare, etc., and you keep on voting Republican.

So-called conservatives.

Dante on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Dick Morris ‏@DickMorrisTweet

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Yes, but we need Iowa. Which we don’t have right now.

KingGold on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Uh huh, wait until the final numbers on women come out, that will likely be the difference in every swing state that we lose.

WisCon on November 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Ditto, Obama and a majority of women own the next 4 years of fail.

Enjoy it ladies.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

mythicknight on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Dante on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Candidates who can bring the urban vote, people who are economically conservative but don’t care too much for abortion instead.

clemycali on November 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Candidates like Mitt Romney?

Let’s face it, Obama is the sex. He’s the Unicorn Prince. Low information voters were not going to break against him based on conservative economic theory.

This nation is not going to divert in time to avoid the consequences of redistributive policy. Hilariously, people actually think that this little lost half-decade we’re in is bad. They have no idea.

The bottom line, we most of us here wanted Mitt Romney to win to spare America the consequences. If Mitt wins OH and CO (and survives FL), that will happen. But otherwise, the consequences are coming. And only after they are felt will the GOP be able to win.

HitNRun on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Imagine what the supreme court will look like in 4 years. It’ll take generations to recover from this. If ever.

Keyser-Soze on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I don’t want to get band so won’t mention the S word but we Red states need to divorce, peacefully, the Blue states.

The differences between Left and Right is an unbridgeable chasm. We’re already two nations sharing the same country. Let’s make it official and split.

Unless you want to spend the rest of your life fighting your government and the parasites.

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

mythicknight on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

It’s true. Check the Fox News election page.

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Obama up 40k now in FL. Not looking good at all.

Bravesbill on November 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Obama will win Florida and Ohio. I’m off to bed. As with 2008, I’ll be damned if I watch one more minute of politics or participate on message boards.

Protect us Governor Perry. Protect us God.

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

How many people can Texas actually hold?

Rockshine on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Toast, the RINO loses again. SHOCKER.

Greenshield on November 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

No one to blame this go round kidz. The voters have made their choice.

The economy was obviously not an issue to most.

It is what it is.

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Utica681 on November 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Buy a tent and a bow, hunting and camping are our future.

Who is John Galt on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Latest from Florida…

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

It was a nice fantasy while it lasted.

Obama is going to go after what’s left of America with a vengeance. Nothing to stop him now.

JellyToast on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Dante on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You have never been more irrelevant.

tom daschle concerned on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

mythicknight on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

mythicknight:)
=================

Live video from Elizabeth Warren headquarters; Warren projected to win Massachusetts Senate race – @NBCNews

8 mins ago from http://www.breakingnews.com by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Dick Morris is a moron. He’s never accurate. “Landslide” my ass you pudgy bitch.

MoreLiberty on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

OMG! Did the fake Indian really win?

ORconservative on November 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Tomorrow we’ll all be saying that about the fake American! – zing.

But then again, perhaps the fact that jokes like that are now off limits might go someways toward explaining tonight.

abobo on November 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Mitt wins Utah!!
WOOT

james23 on November 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

CNN projects Romney wins Utah

33 secs ago by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

oh my. Allah better ban me tonight. lololol

HotAirLib on November 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I have decided that if Obama wins, I am going to take a 4 year vacation and live off public entitlements. I’m in a blue state, with a blue Governor, under a blue president, it would be so easy.

Ok maybe not 4 years, I’ll do 2, so keep showing up to work for me.

Daemonocracy on November 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

won’t be watching morning joe in the am should this go obamas way

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I’ll tell you what…….if the fake indian really did win in MA, this election means nothing. Nothing.
We should save the money, headache and time and just give the blue states their nutty liberals.
That woman belongs as an outcast not as a representative of thinking people.
There is clearly are a lack of thinking people.
Wow.
Are they stealing this election or are people really this dumb?

ORconservative on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

clemycali on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Akin and Mourdock killed their campaigns and brought abortion back to the forefront when it should have been about jobs.

No educated person is going to support buffoons like them, and it is absolutely toxic to the GOP image.

WisCon on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

You Libs can celebrate all you want but you will feel the coming economic pain just like everyone else. Economics knows no party affiliation.

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Can anyone seriously argue that we wouldn’t have been far better off if
GORE has won the Florida recount?
NO BUSH (and his wars) NO OBAMA (and his socialism)
We would still be America today, most likely with
a Republican president

Thanks BUSH
Thanks ROBERTS
Thanks CHRISTIE
Three name that will live in infamy with Benedict Arnold

AmeriCuda on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller

Polls close in another 4 states. @CBSNews projects MT and UT for Mitt Romney. UT another state Pres Obama has never visited.

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

(as i’m saying on my blog, click my name…) why is everyone saying romney lost?! there are many states that haven’t been counted.

Sachiko on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Latest from Florida…

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Santa Rosa in the panhandle has reported zero votes thus far. +100k registered voters there. I believe that is Romney country.

weaselyone on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

How many people can Texas actually hold?

Rockshine on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You read my mind.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The European experiment begins.

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Truthfully, this is stunning. Has Republican ignorance of Democrats diluting the electorate through social, fiscal, tax and immigration policy killed this country. It sure looks like it at this moment.

milcus on November 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Is it too late to write-in SMOD?

RedNewEnglander on November 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Dick Morris ‏@DickMorrisTweet

#election2012 our path to the nomination is not blocked as long as we do not lose Ohio, NC, Fla, and Va

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Toast, the RINO loses again. SHOCKER.

Greenshield on November 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

No one to blame this go round kidz. The voters have made their choice.

The economy was obviously not an issue to most.

It is what it is.

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I agree. The time for fiscal sanity, national pride, backing the military, and civil behavior is over. Lost and gone. You could be running Jesus and it wouldn’t make any difference.

Alana on November 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

More: ABC News projects Romney to win Montana

2 mins ago by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

CNN saying mostly Democrat areas left to be counted in FL.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Cruz is IN !! Whew.
That’ll help.

pambi on November 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Romney is going to make history tonight!!!!

Another gracious concession speech from a RINO/Progressive trying to play a Conservative (Dole/McCain/Romney).

ALL HAIL the bright morning star of American politics the great and awesome Lord Obama!!!

AMERICA TONIGHT: Results don’t matter, just get me a warm teat on the Federal sow and I’m happy.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

True. I wonder who supported these clowns in the first place?

clemycali on November 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

CNN exit poll of Nevada: Obama 51%, Romney 45%.

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Romney still up in EV and Popular…keep your chins up!

Who is John Galt on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The only positive I can come up with is that the Benghazi issue will be fully vetted now. Had Mitt won, it might have just gone nowhere. Now? Hell no.

kit9 on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

weaselyone on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Yes, but that will largely be offset by the 46% of Miami-Dade still outstanding.

steebo77 on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

That is what I just told my despondent mother. The pain that is coming will not discriminate between red and blue.

ORconservative on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The European experiment begins.

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

See Spain and Greece.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Federalism is the answer people. Demand that your Red states seize back their powers that have been usurped by the federal government and demand that they refuse to allow implementation of unconstitutional legislation.

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I, for one, have mixed myself a double sidecar – I might as well have a classic cocktail or two to pass the time no matter what happens…

jagdpanther on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Yet we could exist so peacefully if the liberals ran liberal states like liberals, but respected States rights and didn’t force feed their agenda on all the states through the Federal government. The way it is now we’re going to be stuck in gridlock indefinitely with an increasingly conservative House at odds with a stubbornly liberal President.

Daemonocracy on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

4 more years of blaming Bush. Lol.

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

please just shut up

blatantblue on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Screw Brit Hume. He wanted Romney in the primaries. Now he is complaining about the electorate being too liberal. This is what happens when you nominate democrat and democrat lite.

txmomof6 on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Favorite

it boggles the mind…

social issues brought forward by the dems to deflect from the economy and the sweeping under of the rug of the obama scandals is the reason imho

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

8 years with no budget?

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This election has taught us that the Next Republican candidate needs to be to the left of Mitt Romney?

portlandon on November 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

txmomof6 on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The alternative was Santorum…who would have done much worse. Romney ran a very good campaign.

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I wonder how many people will be driven to the welfare rolls after the EPA unleashes all its pent up anti-energy rules.

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

51 percent favorable for Obama??? What planet am I living on?

txmomof6 on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

rickyricardo on November 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

yup

Mr I won says he’ll work with gop
translation-only if they agree with my terms

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thanks to Akin, Mourdock and the rest of the insane SoCons who insist on no exceptions for rape or anything else.

cool breeze on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Now Akin lost. What a selfish POS for not dropping out.

milcus on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

txmomof6 on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

we both know newt, cain, bachmann etc would have gotten obliterated

blatantblue on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Romney used the same people (Mike Murphy, Kevin Madden, etc.) who always snatch defeat from the jaws of vistory and got the same result.

bw222 on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

RT @Jordanfabian: ABC News projects Joe Donnelly will win the Indiana Senate race

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Ellis on November 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Where are we going? I’m in, but all the research I’ve done still indicates that the US is the least ugly of the socialist states. I’m old enough that China might last long enough for me to die with my money intact, but that’s about it. The rest of them are sure to collapse when they stop buying each other’s debt. HELP!

2ndMAW68 on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Charlemagne on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Yep. Turn off the know-nothings of Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, and Levin. Turn off the populist Fox News. Remove the fleece from your eyes and the cotton from your ears.

Dante on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Lost is a lost… Selling u’r soul to still loose doesn’t change a thing…

Y314K on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

jagdpanther on November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Try muddling in some rosemary. Delicious!

I’m getting ready to drink straight from the bottle.

steebo77 on November 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Stock market futures are down 100 points already! Prediction…PAIN!

Rockshine on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

NBC News, CBS News project Claire McCaskill defeats Todd Akin for Missouri Senate seat; more results

51 secs ago from http://www.breakingnews.com by editor

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Boy we are stupid!!!!

We thought crowd size mattered.

We thought “enthusiasm” was on the gop side.

We believed Barone and Dick Morris because we wanted too.

We thought if we just had a nominee that was nice and ran a gracious campaign that people would respond.

Folks as long as they have the mainstream media it’s over for this country.

People don’t care about the economy, gas prices, food prices, Benghazi or anything but the freebies!!!

Sigh, I was sadly right.

Tight outcome, Obama win.

PappyD61 on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

txmomof6 on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The racist planet, with me and apparently just under half the nation.

Cindy Munford on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

These comments about women – I’m just so ashamed seriously.

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

won’t be watching morning joe in the am should this go obamas way

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It’s been a wild ride, my morning friend. But if Romney loses, I doubt I’ll be here much anymore either. And MSNBC is off my channel selector permanently. I just don’t even feel like this is a United States of Anything anymore.

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The MSM put on an all-out effort to re-elect Obama and once again it won.

bw222 on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

My Lord !!
If this all goes for Zero, hubby’s small bizz is cooked !
Please, Lord !! PLEASE !!
Trying to stay positive, but worrying, here.
Had hoped the The Grand Delusion could be staved off… at least for awhile … Ok, Lord.
Damn !!

pambi on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

AngusMc on November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You poor dear. You still don’t get it.

Dante on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

weaselyone on November 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Not enough – Game over.

JFS61 on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Sadly this is likely gone for Romney. 4 more years of Obummer.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Man. The cleveland county is only 9% in and Obama is up in the state by 4%. This looks like its over to me. And Florida doesn’t look real promising either. And they have to win both. I think its over.

KMav on November 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Freaking Akin

gophergirl on November 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

The country is utterly frucked up. See McCaskill.

Schadenfreude on November 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM