10 pm: Iowa, Nevada, & the West

posted at 9:31 pm on November 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

If you’ve gotten this far without either popping champagne corks or cerebral arteries, the toughest of the two major swing states are next up for us.  Iowa has been too close to call through a number of polls, but Nevada’s been leaning toward Obama — even though the population contains a significant Mormon vote that should swing to Romney.  With any luck, Romney ends up not needing either state; if he does, this might be a tough night.

For Iowa, you can get updates on voting results from Twitter by following the Secretary of State’s account.  Otherwise, you can brave slow load times by going directly to the results page on their website.  In Nevada, they don’t have a Secretary of State — they have the Cashier’s Window.  Just kidding! Nevada’s SoS has a very nice web page set up to display the data as well as map the results as they come in.

Update, 9:56 ET: Nothing much to report on my section of the country, but Iowa closes in a few minutes.  The paths for a Romney win have all been eliminated except FL-NC-VA-OH and either Colorado or Iowa.  This thread may not make too much difference overall, but Iowa might still be important.

Update: An interesting point:

With so much voter dissatisfaction, it’s interesting that we’re on the cusp of keeping the status quo in the House, Senate, and White House.

Update: Not sure what this means:

Doesn’t sound as though CBS wants to make a call, but Iowa only has 11% of precincts reporting.

Update: Minnesota isn’t on my beat, ironically, but it’s worth mentioning that the early returns show both the voter-ID and traditional marriage constitutional amendments trailing, with about 41% Yes for each.

Update: The New York Post has a cheerier take:

Arizona has a key Senate race, but I expect Jeff Flake to win that pretty easily, too.

Update: Colorado is also not my beat, but this isn’t good news:

Harsanyi’s there on the ground.

Update, 11:04 ET: Pacific & Mountain Time calls for Romney: ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ.  For Obama: WA, CA.  Still not called: NV, OR.

Update: Jim Geraghty works out the numbers and discovers that elections aren’t exactly efficient:

Imagine what it would cost to flip California!

Update: CBS calls Iowa for Obama:

That’s been trending all hour, so it’s no surprise — but with Fox calling Ohio for Obama, it’s not very important.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 16 17 18

Nothing will ever be their fault.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

It will be if we don’t own it.

What ensues in the next few years is their mess, and it will be a terrible mess.

They want it. They got it. They deserve the blame.

Cody1991 on November 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Rockshine on November 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM

And frankly.. I don’t blame them one bit if they did. Rather than listen at all to their concerns, the GOP instead chose to insult and belittle them. For a Campaign that was seeking to be “Moderate in the name of getting independents and Moderates” it did a sure fine job of insulting those very voters.

Razgriez on November 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Steveangell on November 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM

You are a kook!!..:)

Dire Straits on November 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Oh, by the way – Obamacare is the law of the land. Get used to it. And better yet, man and woman up, take responsibility, and get insurance. Don’t want to – too bad. Pay the penalty for shirking responsibility.

You forgot a couple of stickeywickets!

In Obamacare, subsidies are authorised only for those individuals enrolled in “an exchange established by the state under § 1311,” but the legislation has no similar language authorising the subsidisation of individuals enrolled within any exchange that the Federal government might create.

How are you going to subsidise people in the proposed, Federal exchanges where the states have declined to create their own?

Federal exchanges have NO FUNDING MECHANISMS and they aren’t going to get one for the Republican House.

Furthermore, no business located in a state without an exchange is mandate to provided insurance or turn over their employees to the non-existent exchange or pay the penalty.

Hint: Next time read what’s in the bill before you sign onto it!

XOXO

PS:

One more thing, Proggie!

I have insurance — a major medical policy and the financial resources to cover whatever may.

Now, you, Obama, Pelosi, et al, say that lawmakers should keep their grubby hands and laws off of my body. Since when do my health as a women be reduced to abortion and contraception?

How about you and your Progressive-busybody-Mrs Kravitz-ilk, keep your fvcking laws off of my body and my health insurance policy, along with my automobile, financial transactions, soda size, cubboards, larders, medicine cabinets, bedrooms, appliances, diet, refrigerator, business, stock transactions, banking accounts, lightbulbs, toilets, showerheads, business, and every other thing that is absolutely none of your business?

Resist We Much on November 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Cody1991 on November 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I see your point..But I think we have reached a “tipping point” in the USA..

Dire Straits on November 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Nothing will ever be their fault.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

not only is it their fault..i just wish
only the supporters pay for it…
you wanted it..you got it…now pay for it…
dont send me the tab for your reckless spending habbit.

going2mars on November 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Well, in the next four years the American people will get to actually see the destruction caused by Obamacare.

500 billion in new taxes, most of them on the middle class.
20 million Americans will lose their employer-based health insurance.
Many doctors will simply leave the profession.
An estimated 1 out of 6 hospitals will close.
Medicare will be gutted, and rationed by the IPAB that is set up for that purpose.
Employers will force full-time workers to become part-time to avoid the Employee Mandate.
Veterans health care (Tricare) will be gutted by billions.
And on and on.
Who will the Democrats blame for all of this in 2016.

TarheelBen on November 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM

JohnD13 on November 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I will end my night with that JohnD13. It was a sad but somehow comforting post. God be with you and yours.

kcd on November 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I believe the uncovering of the video tape revealing Romney 47% comments was the biggest factor that led to his defeat. It bolstered Obama’s class warfare tactics and although most of us here are aware there’s too many takers and not enough makers, I think the average low information voter heard it as Romney attacking “the little guy”. Even though that little guy will be hurt even more painfully by Obama “unleashed.”

My hope for a Romney victory was temporarily restored after he performed so well in the first debate. Obviously that didn’t make enough of a difference.

On a personal level, my bf’s son has enlisted in the Air Force and will start basic training next September. He enlisted before Benghazi The two of us were hoping and praying that his son would be serving under a President Romney. Now we will be worrying more than ever when and if he’s deployed to a war zone.

susandiane311 on November 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Our teachers (and their unions)have created a nation of metaphorical Stepford Wives-zombies devoid of critical judgment and logic. When the majority of the populace has lost both its moral and logical compasses, it makes little difference whether the government is democratic or dictatorial since the people will voluntarily do as instructed. The chickens coming home to roost.

MaiDee on November 7, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Well, it’s over and I sit here crying for my country and wonder how the American citizens I’ve known thru my 64 years could buy into Obama’s B.S. Can someone explain please? As a former Hotair contributor used to write….”the GOP will betray you”. How right he was and we never seem to learn.
So now what? Over the last 14 months or so I’ve heard people say they were not satisfied with the Republicans and wanted a third party only to be told now was not the time, what with a presidential election looming. So, is now the time? We have four years to form a party and become a force. If not now, then when? If we don’t do something to combat the democrats effectively, nothing will change for the better. Unless you consider President Biden as a step up. Throw out some suggestions. Can we establish a real Conservative Party on our own? Palin would be a good beginning since she is a fighter. Who else is willing to stand up for Conservative values? They are out there, I know they are. Just look at the last week. Obama draws 2800 for a speech and Mitt drew over 30,000. I don’t think these people just attended for fun. Where did their votes disappear to? Something is very wrong about this whole election thing….Panthers in Philly, voting machines invalidating your choice of candidates and murials of Obama in a poll center. And, nothing really happens to stop it. Slap on wrist and ignore it. So, I suggest we take a few days to heal then work on establishing a new Conservative party and don’t permit it to get hijacked. If we don’t do something and do it fast, we will never have a real choice again. Just my thoughts.

MONACO1121 on November 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Jeez…as I recall, just about everyone on here was screaming for Romney to “double down” with that. LOL

Don’t worry – the GOP has not learned its lesson yet. The Romney-hating has already started.

The next Republican nominee will be someone like Santorum. He/she will call people “parasites”, not the 47% .

After you get a Goldwater-like defeat with that person, then maybe there will be change.

inklake on November 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Nothing will ever be their fault.

Kyle_Reese on November 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

not only is it their fault..i just wish
only the supporters pay for it…
you wanted it..you got it…now pay for it…
dont send me the tab for your reckless spending habbit.

going2mars on November 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Will you pay for the moronic wars that you guys got us in to then?

zbunde on November 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Is there still a good conservative website to read? Does anybody have any suggestions? I have been on here forever (since almost the beginning), but I don’t think that I can read this anymore; it one has gone to the RINOs.

Theophile on November 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM