Romney to visit Ohio — and Pennsylvania — tomorrow

posted at 4:02 pm on November 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

I like it, especially the Pennsylvania visit. Even if he thinks PA’s a longshot, one more appearance can’t hurt and delivering an E-Day pep talk to Republicans in a big blue state that’s suddenly in play is a sweet morale booster for GOPers nationally. If anything, I wish he had time to squeeze in a visit to Chicago. Message: Not an inch will be conceded, even in the heart of Obamaland. One hundred percent Republican turnout or bust, no matter how long the odds are in a city or state. That’s the message of the Pennsylvania event, I think — make the effort tomorrow, however bluish-purple your particular playing field might be. Paul Ryan’s visit to Nevada, which is probably the safest of the toss-up states for O, is all about that too.

Aides said Mr. Romney would visit campaign offices in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Until now, his staff had said that a rally in New Hampshire Monday night would be his last event of the campaign.

The move reflects just how close the contest remains — Mr. Romney is determined to squeeze as much time in swing states as possible before polls close.

Politicking on Election Day, while not entirely unusual, is tricky because it risks siphoning off resources and manpower in crucial states from traditional get-out-the-vote efforts.

My hunch is that an in-state appearance by the candidate on election day does more to goose local turnout than the GOTV manpower lost during the candidate’s visit would have. Didn’t hurt Obama or Bush when they tried it:

Another good point:

Via Mediaite, here’s Andrea Mitchell pondering the significance of Pennsylvania possibly being in play. Dan McLaughlin noted earlier on Twitter that Rasmussen’s national polling of party affiliation now shows the biggest Republican advantage since at least 2004: 39.1R/33.3D/27.5 Other. In modern times, the GOP has never had a turnout advantage in a presidential election; the closest they came was drawing even with Democrats at 37 percent in 2004. If this election ends up R+1 or better, then, given Romney’s persistent lead with independents, I’m thinking we’ll all be long since drunk on champagne tomorrow night by the time Pennsylvania finally comes in. Fingers crossed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

jimver on November 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

They had a scandal in the nineties, I think, about how much of the money they collect goes to their upper management. How much they spend on fancy offices and such. I have never donated to them since. My last job had a program where they wanted us to have money taken out of each paycheck to go to them. They wanted 100% participation, but I refused. I will give my money to charities I choose.

Night Owl on November 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I worked from home today & my landline phone rang at least 75 times. It’s ringing now. After Mitt called I stopped answering it. Our GOTV efforts in WI are second to none thanks to the failed lefty attempts to recall our lawmakers & governor Walker. We’ve had a LOT of practice & have every single solitary Walker voter identified, and then some.

Our state has seen the worst of the worst of the ‘rat party. The lunacy we endured this past year is not forgotten & Mitt will win this state, outside the margin of fraud.

fatigue on November 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I have a son who is a Marine Corps officer recently deployed to Afghanistan and a daughter who is working to become a Navy officer. I want a CIC who is worthy of the sacrifice my children are willing to make. While I was skeptical for quite a long time, Romney convinced me that he would never leave our military behind. The a-hole in chief right now so disgusts me by his treatment of our military, I can’t stand to look at his face or listen to his voice. While I may not agree with or like everything Romney did in his past, I do believe he is a good man and will try to do the right thing. And believe me when I say, I never thought those words would come out of my mouth…or from my fingers!

texasmagnolia on November 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

jimver on November 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Night Owl on November 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Yep, my wife donated like that fo the RC, I mean it was taken automatically out of her paycheck, and she agreed to it. The Red Cross runs a special program for the military and in co-operation with the Pentagon, they have an office on most of the mil bases, they are the point of contact in case anything happens to the family member who serves and if for whatever reasons you cannot contact the service member through the regular channels wherever they are deployed, or flying missions. So, it was that part of Red Cross that my wife had in mind when she allowed automatic donations. But she stopped them a little while ago.

jimver on November 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM

This is good because it will force little Bammie to campaign as well. Little Bammie is tired, all out of telepromter script, pissed-off and angry at the world. He and Biteme are sure to make a gaffe or two tomorrow, like the ‘revenge’ comment on the weekend.

slickwillie2001 on November 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Tomorrow will be a great day for America simply by virtue of the fact that the American people will have the opportunity to vote out of office a deceptive Socialist

ardenenoch on November 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

IMO, this was a key aspect of the GOP strategy. The rat-eared wonder couldn’t run on his pathetic record so he was counting on character assassination. How do you do that with Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan? You can’t!

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Smart. Pour it on them.

hawkdriver on November 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

WORK IT TODAY HOT AIRIANS

PappyD61 on November 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I nominate our new I.D.: THE HOT ARS, or, THE HOT Rs

Lourdes on November 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

texasmagnolia on November 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Relatives I speak with say exactly the same thing as you have. And as I have. For the very same reasons.

Lourdes on November 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

O/T…

gahh, Bret Baier on FOX just said, “and Massachusetts, let’s give that one to Elizabeth Warren…”

Gahhh.

Lourdes on November 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM

allah, humpbot on standby?

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I’d be fine with some videos of Channing Tatum dancing. :)

Lourdes on November 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM

xblade on November 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM

LOLOLOLOL!

PatriotGal2257 on November 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Romney Narrowly Holding Bellwether Ohio County, N.H. Towns

By Jim Geraghty

Credit Suffolk for doing some of the most interesting polling of this cycle. Rather than toss another statewide poll onto the pile, they took a detailed look at one bellwether county in Ohio and two bellwether towns in New Hampshire. The verdict? Good news for Romney, but not much room for comfort:

In Lake County, Romney led Obama 47 percent to 43 percent with Independent Richard Duncan receiving 4 percent and Stewart Alexander (Socialist Party) receiving 1 percent, while 2 percent were undecided and 4 percent refused a response. Romney led 49 percent to 44 percent among those planning to cast ballots and led 43 percent to 41 percent among those who had already voted. Duncan, an Ohioan listed on the presidential ballot, received most of his support from voters who have already cast ballots for him in Lake County, causing neither major candidate to reach a decisive 50 percent there.

“What better place to decide this presidential election than on the banks of Lake Erie,” said David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center in Boston. “A word of caution about Lake County. It is widely recognized as an Ohio bellwether, correctly predicting the last four presidential elections. But there have been some elections where it has trended more Republican. That was the case in 1996 and 2008, where Lake County voted for the Democratic nominees who won, but still leaned more Republican than the statewide vote.”

Meanwhile, over in the Granite State:

Two New Hampshire towns, Epping and Milford, have mirrored the statewide New Hampshire vote in four out of four presidential elections going back to 1996. In Milford, Romney led Obama 51 percent to 46 percent and in Epping, a closer bellwether, Romney led Obama 49 percent to 47 percent.

At the link, they provide the history of the county and towns and how they compare statewide.

Of course, any trend may be broken. Vigo County, Indiana, is a county that has voted for the winner in every election since 1956 and is being mentioned as a bellwether again this cycle (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-11-04/watch-vigo-county-indiana-for-who-will-be-president) — except the Obama campaign hasn’t really contested Indiana this cycle, and Romney’s expected to win the state by a healthy margin — so perhaps the dynamics in Vigo won’t quite as representative of the country as a whole this cycle.

One local station did call 100 residents, a quite small sample: “The result: 42 residents planning to vote for President Barack Obama and 48 in favor of Governor Mitt Romney; which matches other polls across the country.”

Resist We Much on November 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Full court press for every vote!

FRACK OBAMA IN PA.!

profitsbeard on November 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

My apologies for not being able to read the entire thread, but it’s been far too long that I’ve had access, much less time to comment. So, my 2 cents on the thread (and other comments off-thread:)

Um… Geek? You need to get out more. I’ve not seen any indications that enthusiasm is any lower than 2010. I believe it’s higher. It might be “The Big Bang” of Republican turnout.
oldroy on November 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
If anyone, anyone believes that those of us who have been hurt by the last four years of ‘evil’ that is in our WH won’t come out in droves bigger than mid-terms, well–he/she is delusional. We’ve been waiting a very long four years.

Steveangell on November 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM
You are delusional. n.b. See above.

…The most valuable thing they can do is elect conservatives to state and local government and to the House of Representatives and some Senate seats (Pat Toomey comes to mind) and drive grassroots momentum and base turnout. The tea party is all about driving things from the base up. Put them at the top and we most likely implode.
dczombie on November 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Bravo, with the caveat that they understand it takes a while for their choices to ‘get to the “top.”
The optics of playing basketball withe the hurricane Sandy victims facing another storm and your job on the line, are not very good.
kingsjester on November 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM
So Obama tried to use Red Cross and the Sandy disaster for his own advantage to illegally push his campaign dreck???
Norwegian on November 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yawn… you seem surprised…
kcd on November 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I’m in one of the lesser-hit areas of Jersey–lots of trees down, power outages, closed roads, no traffic signals/street lights, food scarcities in markets, etc.–but we’re holding our own. Some patiences wearing thin on the length of gas lines still. But, we’re thankful. We have extended family, friends who have lost loved ones, homes.

My family has sporadic power to internet/cable; it’s now on through a gas-powered generator through Optimum down the street–when that runs out, so does internet, phone, etc.
We personally know two people (one a relative, one a friend) who have lost homes simply washing away. Again, we are thankful for what we do have and who we haven’t lost.

Most affected people in our area didn’t (and still don’t) have enough power (even with generators) to watch t.v. or logon. Most didn’t see the ‘photo-op,’ and to tell the truth, most don’t care about it. They care about the loss of their loved ones, the destruction or loss of their homes, their immediate human needs, shelter, food and warmth.

I don’t know what’s coming out in the ‘media’ because they’ve had no media. Not only television. For instance, though we’re not in a hardest-hit area, we haven’t had mail service in over a week. Newspapers have just sporadically become available to purchase in local stores (most often where folks can walk, because vehicles are destroyed from fallen trees.)

For anyone, anyone to think that O can get a “bounce” from this disaster is ludicrous. And, if by chance he has enough chicanery, thugs, marxists, etc. etc. in his pocket and manages to steal the election, I can tell you this.

There will be a whole heck of a lot of ‘nor-easterners’ wanting to move to the Republic of Texas.

And yes, we’ll be among them.

The Man’s coming up from south jersey tomorrow after working on the home for the last week to vote with me…our tradition of voting together :) It means a lot to us in these trying times.
Godspeed America. Godspeed, Romney/Ryan!

jersey taxpayer on November 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Why didn’t you headline this news?!?

Democrats actually had small leads in Rasmussen partisan self identification when Bush won reelection in 2004 and during the 2010 wave election.

The GOP has now jumped into a 5.8% lead in party identification (a 2% rise in just the last month), giving the GOP in a far better comparative advantage over the Democrats that perhaps at any time since the 1920s!

Oh my… Tomorrow will be VERY interesting indeed.

Bart DePalma on November 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

1948 was the last time the Republican Party ran somebody East of the Mississipi.

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Gerald Ford (Michigan) doesn’t count?

IamDA on November 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Aside from the fact that no one with a brain pays any attention to what this bimbo says, or the female associate, did anyone pay attention to the add at the end of the piece? If that is what is being shown on the lamestreet media, no wonder Detroit is going broke.

georgeofthedesert on November 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM