Romney to visit Ohio — and Pennsylvania — tomorrow

posted at 4:02 pm on November 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

I like it, especially the Pennsylvania visit. Even if he thinks PA’s a longshot, one more appearance can’t hurt and delivering an E-Day pep talk to Republicans in a big blue state that’s suddenly in play is a sweet morale booster for GOPers nationally. If anything, I wish he had time to squeeze in a visit to Chicago. Message: Not an inch will be conceded, even in the heart of Obamaland. One hundred percent Republican turnout or bust, no matter how long the odds are in a city or state. That’s the message of the Pennsylvania event, I think — make the effort tomorrow, however bluish-purple your particular playing field might be. Paul Ryan’s visit to Nevada, which is probably the safest of the toss-up states for O, is all about that too.

Aides said Mr. Romney would visit campaign offices in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Until now, his staff had said that a rally in New Hampshire Monday night would be his last event of the campaign.

The move reflects just how close the contest remains — Mr. Romney is determined to squeeze as much time in swing states as possible before polls close.

Politicking on Election Day, while not entirely unusual, is tricky because it risks siphoning off resources and manpower in crucial states from traditional get-out-the-vote efforts.

My hunch is that an in-state appearance by the candidate on election day does more to goose local turnout than the GOTV manpower lost during the candidate’s visit would have. Didn’t hurt Obama or Bush when they tried it:

Another good point:

Via Mediaite, here’s Andrea Mitchell pondering the significance of Pennsylvania possibly being in play. Dan McLaughlin noted earlier on Twitter that Rasmussen’s national polling of party affiliation now shows the biggest Republican advantage since at least 2004: 39.1R/33.3D/27.5 Other. In modern times, the GOP has never had a turnout advantage in a presidential election; the closest they came was drawing even with Democrats at 37 percent in 2004. If this election ends up R+1 or better, then, given Romney’s persistent lead with independents, I’m thinking we’ll all be long since drunk on champagne tomorrow night by the time Pennsylvania finally comes in. Fingers crossed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Plus he’s been drawing HUGE crowds. Go Romney, go for the kill!

scalleywag on November 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

That’s good. But he also needs to visit Oiho.

Oil Can on November 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

When is the last time we had a northeasterner as the head of a ticket?

txmomof6 on November 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

FWIW

John Nolte ‏@NolteNC
RT @TobyHarnden Romney internal polls put him OH+1, NH+3, IA+2, down in NV, tied in WI & PA http://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I’m anticipating not making it to work on Wednesday due to a massive hangover. And for once, it won’t be from the Obama drinking game.

Doughboy on November 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

That’s good. But he also needs to visit Oiho.

Oil Can on November 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

He is – Cleveland

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Come on Ohio & Pennsylvania.

Let’s Roll.

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM

When is the last time we had a northeasterner as the head of a ticket?

txmomof6 on November 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Does George H.W. Bush count? He was born and raised in the NE before settling in Texas, right?

Doughboy on November 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM

What I like is that Mitt Romney, a working man, is going to be working tomorrow. And the next day. And the next.

Meanwhile, Obama is said to be ‘playing his traditional ball’ tomorrow. Otherwise called “jerk**g off”.

Lourdes on November 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I’m stocked and stoked, I think the PA results will be in a lot sooner than most expect…it’s all over except the burpin’

RedInMD on November 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

In the meantime Joe is going to visit Michelle to get this week’s school lunch directive.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Pittsburgh is a nice touch.

GOPers, if you believe Robert Costa (and you damn well should), need to win Western PA and the Philly suburbs – big – to have a chance at winning the state.

Romney in Bucks County was a great start. Tomorrow’s Pittsburgh rally might be enough to seal it.

KingGold on November 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Hi, nice to see you. I haven’t read all the treads to see if you posted, but how WAS your event with Ryan last night? Me thinks it was one you won’t forget?
L

letget on November 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Read carefully. Not Ohio – Oiho.

KingGold on November 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

FWIW

John Nolte ‏@NolteNC
gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I would like OH to have a larger spread, but if has to win it by 1, so be it. If he does that, PA and WI would be just gravy. I assume CO is in the bag, and that plus OH means President Romney. He wouldn’t need NH, IA, or NV (that’s if FL, VA, and NC are secure, that is).

Nick_Angel on November 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

This man has an incredible work ethic . . . unlike Las Vegas Obama.

rplat on November 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

It’s fun to be part of a RINO charge.

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I’ll be up at 2:30 am Wednesday (my usual) and before getting ready for work I’ll check in here to find out how many lawyers are lined up at SCOTUS. Starbucks will make another fortune by 6am.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM

If Pennsylvania is in play, it is all over for the President, says…

Andrea Mitchell

Link

Nick_Angel on November 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM

John Nolte ‏@NolteNC

I wish O-I-H-O wasn’t so close, but a win would be all that matters(assuming it’s not so tight that Obama can try to cheat his way to victory). I figured NV was the one swing state Romney didn’t have much of a shot at. Not sure why given the horrible economy there and Obama’s constant public trashing of Vegas. But if he gets WI, IA, and NH(and I assume CO), then O-I-H-O wouldn’t even be necessary.

Doughboy on November 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I disagree- I think Romney will win Nevada.

Guess we’ll see.

cs89 on November 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Doughboy on November 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Yes. His father Prescott was senator from Connecticut. Before that Dewey from New York.

Ted Torgerson on November 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Nick_Angel on November 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Do you read the articles here, or do you just look at the pictures?

KingGold on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Hat tip Drudge.

Damn.

Tenwheeler on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

When is the last time we had a northeasterner as the head of a ticket?

1948 was the last time the Republican Party ran somebody East of the Mississipi.

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

L

letget on November 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

It was so much fun. I’m glad to be a part of the biggest crowd he had during the entire campaign.

Not bad for blue Minnesota huh?

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Peggy Noonan calls it for Romney, starts the schmoozing a day ahead of everyone else.

What a despicable woman. She’s been whoring for Obama for 5 years, and now that she believes Romney will win…

“Me love you long time, Gov. Romney”

BobMbx on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

now allah’s sounding not-so-eeyore-ish…. i’m freaking out man.

taddow on November 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Where is Obama golfing tomorrow?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Of all people, Obama would know if he is in trouble. When it comes to national presidential races, he is a finely tuned political instrument: He read the field perfectly in 2008. He would know if he’s losing now, and it would explain his joylessness on the stump. He is out there doing what he has to to fight the fight. But he’s still trying to fire up the base when he ought to be wooing the center and speaking their calm centrist talk. His crowds haven’t been big. His people have struggled to fill various venues. This must hurt the president after the trememdous, stupendous crowds of ’08. “Voting’s the best revenge”—revenge against who, and for what? This is not a man who feels himself on the verge of a grand victory. His campaign doesn’t seem president-sized. It is small and sad and lost, driven by formidable will and zero joy.

I suspect both Romney and Obama have a sense of what’s coming, and it’s part of why Romney looks so peaceful and Obama so roiled.
Romney ends most rallies with his story of the Colorado scout troop that in 1986 had an American flag put in the space shuttle Challenger, saw the Challenger blow up as they watched on TV, and then found, through the persistence of their scoutmaster, that the flag had survived the explosion. It was returned to them by NASA officials. When Romney, afterward, was shown the flag, he touched it, and an electric jolt went up his arm. It’s a nice story. He doesn’t make its meaning fully clear. But maybe he means it as a metaphor for America: It can go through a terrible time, a catastrophe, as it has economically the past five years, and still emerge whole, intact, enduring.

Maybe that’s what the coming Romney moment is about: independents, conservatives, Republicans, even some Democrats, thinking: We can turn it around, we can work together, we can right this thing, and he can help.

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Stay calm…and finish him.

Rational Thought on November 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Oh the wailing and the lamentations of the liberals will be music to my ears….

right2bright on November 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Okay, I have to ask: who are you and what have you done with EeyoreAllahpundit? Because you’re unnaturally…bullish on this election. I sure could use some of that optimism right now because my stomach is in knots.

Physics Geek on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I just saw Clinton pounding the podium in Ohio, demanding that America deserves a president who will not lie to the American people.

From Bill Clinton. Yes, really.

Maybe we should have a Clintonism of the day: big, bold, brassy lies that should convince no one but somehow are taken seriously by the media.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Did Andrea say, “if Pennsylvania is in play, then it is all over for the President”?…

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

When is the last time we had a northeasterner as the head of a ticket?

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Umm. Bush 41 was from Maine.

ConservativePartyNow on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

John Nolte ‏@NolteNC

Sound about right.

Wonder if any internal polling has been done in MN. The Obama campaign sent Clinton there, so I already know they must’ve seen something in their numbers deterioate there.

Norwegian on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Do you read the articles here, or do you just look at the pictures?

KingGold on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Heh. Oops.

Nick_Angel on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

And unlike the big Oaf, when Romney gets to the WH he’s actually got a plan and he’s going to get to work. I’ll bet we never see any of these extravagant million dollar state dinners and vacations anymore, either. I’ll bet my job he never claims his children as WH staff. SANITY HERE WE COME!

scalleywag on November 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Hubby is from MN and he has made his family not speak to him because of his R views. Oh well, that is the way the cookie crumbles?
L

letget on November 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Democrats are carney midway late nite pick-pockets.
They do not like any one seeing what they do for a living.

They too have loud barkers out barking lies to lure in the shills.

Mitt knows this and is staying in the Fair Grounds area where the working people are showing off their work and hobbies.

like that

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

From Bill Clinton. Yes, really.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Not to mention BENGHAZI!!! HELLO?!

Doughboy on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The party leadership is totally stuck on STUPID.

Had they embraced the Tea Party instead of shunning them. We would be picking up a dozen or more seats and would definitely take the Senate. We would be wining the Presidency by at least five points. We would outperform the polls just like in 2010.

But no we run the most liberal man in the Republican Party. A man that ran on the platform “That Republican Registration is just a technicality”. I will be more liberal than my opponent why I am running to do more for Planned Parenthood, LGBT, Abortion Rights. This platform in the only race he won. But he did run on it and lose before.

Pure stupidity.

Everywhere I tune there are big name Republicans very concerned we will lose this election.

Obama is a complete joke. A member of Al Qaeda most likely. Definitely a member of the Muslim Brotherhood Al Qaeda’s parent organization. To be even with him is simply inexcusable.

Like Wisconsin Scott Walker the Tea Party favorite was 20 points ahead of Mitt Romney. He easily won the recall. But Romney was 15 points behind Obama.

When Mitt loses it is time for the Tea Party to take over the GOP.

Steveangell on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

After watching a very subdued Axelrod yesterday morning and then watching Hannity beat on a very tongue tied and subdued Bill Richardson last night, I’m convinced that King Obama’s internal polls showing him losing badly.

JPeterman on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Going to see Paul Ryan tonight at Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee! I’m so stoked!!!!

Sasha List on November 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Allah- make sure the humbbot is plugged in and ready to go.

Fish on November 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

In Truman’s bio, he won by going door to door and not conceding an inch until the very end. GO Vote!

Republican Yogi on November 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

JPeterman on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The finger pointing and leaks from his campaign will be epic.

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

JPeterman on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Another indicator they’re collapsing?

Stephanie Cutter has decreed that the idea that PA is in play – much like the DMR endorsement for Romney – is “not based in reality.”

KingGold on November 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

BobMbx on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

She’s anticipating that Mitt will need a new head speechwriter. Just getting her application in early.

a capella on November 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

60/40 or bust

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

If PA was really in play…why didn’t they start there sooner?

If he can’t win OH (which is the only reason he’s spending time i PA), how can he win PA? or WI? which are more liberal

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

scalleywag on November 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

BTW, I’ve been hoping that in the days following his win, Romney announces that he’s calling off the inauguration balls to save the taxpayers some money. The ones for Obama in 2009 cost over 150 mil.

Do the inauguration itself obviously. You want a million-plus Americans to have the opportunity to attend that. But spare us the visual of a bunch of politicians partying it up when the economy is still in the dumps(not to mention no President has the ability to dance).

Doughboy on November 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

JPeterman on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I’m gonna pray so hard tonight that you are right. I want a shellacking. I want an epic landslide for the ages. I want Zero tossed on the ash heap of history like the marxist garbage that he is. Please, please, please deliver us this.

Rational Thought on November 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

The legacy of the Prince of Darkness, a perfect depiction.

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I agree that it’s a smart GOTV strategy. Related to that, I think Romney is trying to drag a handful of GOP Senate candidates over the finish line with him. He knows he needs a GOP Senate to get anything done. So look at the states we’re talking about: Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. All states where we would love to capture a Senate seat. So yeah, it’s GOTV but I also think that it’s a sign of confidence on Romney’s part.

cicerone on November 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Mitt’s gotta change up the speech for the last day – go REALLY big and REALLY strong on the differences – no time for stories – facts.

I’m in PA – it’sgonnabethisclose!!!!

GeorgieGirl9 on November 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

No paying for parking or fares if Romney appears near the airport. Clinton is appearing in Market Square. Pay up, suckas.

Philly on November 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Breaking: Jimmy Carter has UPSd a shiny new basketball to Barry to present to Kim Jong Kid in February.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

300+ EVs, so that no recount matters.

47% loss for Obama w/b the ultimate irony.

I need a new heart. My original one won’t be able to handle all the Schadenfreude at the euroweenies, the old media and assorted hacks.

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

When Mitt loses it is time for the Tea Party to take over the GOP.

Steveangell on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The Tea Party has taken over the GOP, dopey.

We have the most conservative slate of Senate candidates in a very long time. (I would say, “and look where that’s getting us,” but I won’t.) Romney’s positions match those of the GOP’s conservative wing almost entirely, and he’s running a conservative campaign. Obama has the advantage of incumbency and a lapdog media. And Romney knocked Obama on his ass in that first debate, doing a better job than any Gingrich or Santorum could muster against him.

You don’t want conservatism, you want chaos. Take your intellectual dishonesty and shove it up the chimney.

KingGold on November 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

My wife and I attended the Mitt rally in Morrisville, PA last night. It was huge. Atleast 40,000 people and the crowd was electric. In the past weeks I have seen lots of enthusiasm in Philly suburbs and mainline for Romney. Romney is going to sneak up and steal PA from Obama.

Natebo on November 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Oh, those bitter clingers! They may vote their revenge…

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

TROLLCOTT.

Right Mover on November 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Obama to visit Hawaii in January – for good.

RedNewEnglander on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Physics Geek on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Sounds suspiciously like AP has access to some of Mitt’s internal polling, doesn’t it?:)

a capella on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Physics Geek on November 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I’m just saying, if more Republicans turn out than Democrats, then the electoral math is what it is. O will be finished. He’s got a superb organization, though. Essentially, the question tomorrow is whether Obama’s GOTV machine can turn out enough half-hearted Democrats to offset the passionate opposition to Obama that’s driving Republicans to the polls.

Allahpundit on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Feel the force, Luke, and embrace all that Schadenfreude.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Where is Obama golfing tomorrow?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I’m trying to find a schedule. Thought I read earlier that he was off the campaign trail…..

With this announcement, like everything else, BO will follow Romney’s lead and appear somewhere.

Cody1991 on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

You beat me!!!

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Natebo on November 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

from your keyboard…..

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Sasha List on November 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

:D

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Feeling manic, my wildassguess is that if PA comes in early for us, Oregon will be in play.

burt on November 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

sowing seeds of discord in the enemy’s backfield…..heh.

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Just the number will be different and the picture.

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Obama has a basketball game scheduled just like he did 4 years ago. I can understand if he doesn’t campaign but I would have thought he’d do some of that Presidentin’ stuff. You know like dealing with the fact nearly 2M are still without power and a snowstorm on the way.

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

allah, humpbot on standby?

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Aloha Michelle

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Romney blew off the roof at his Fairfax, VA (NoVa) rally this afternoon.

I’m feeling good. :-)

Punchenko on November 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It demonstrates the differences in these candidates on the very last day. Mitt covers two states and Dear Leader shoots hoops!

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

poor chuckie…he’ll keep his msdnc show natch but lose some major creds

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

L

letget on November 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

That’s too bad. The liberals here are deranged. Not to say your husband’s family is deranged but the ultra liberals are even more serious than us.

gophergirl on November 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The Rangers forgot to play baseball in October. The Cowboys have forgotten to play football in the fall. Will Republican’s forget to vote Tuesday? If so we better like crow-on-rice. Allah’s Eeyore is powerful!

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Lourdes on November 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Governor Romney likes work, that’s obvious. He believes in the Protestant work ethic, that hard and productive work leads to personal satisfaction.

Little Bammie on the other hand is a lazy dumbass.

slickwillie2001 on November 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Allahpundit on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You’re spot on.

Death to the old media hacks.

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

gloria borger praising that d+11 poll, will any of the gop talking heads speak about the skew? i know i know…

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Granted. And while we may not approach the 2010 level of enthusiasm, we will certainly exceed that of 2008, while the Dems will likely be somewhat less enthused.

Sorry, but I couldn’t resist taking a poke at a self-identified Eeyore acting optimistic. Right now, I’m being Eeyore enough for the website. I plan to vote (once; I don’t live in Chicago) right when the polls open because tomorrow is my two job day, which means I’ll be tracking the results from a remote location. I certainly wouldn’t mind to be rushing home to crack open a big bottle of bubbly.

Physics Geek on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Feel the force, Luke, and embrace all that Schadenfreude.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

If Pennsylvania is in play, it is all over for the President, says…

Andrea Mitchell

Link

Nick_Angel on November 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Mrs. Greenspan has been getting lessons in math from her husband.

oldroy on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

My son is bringing a truck load of college students home with him tomorrow to vote…and this is a red red state. Bring it on!

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

She’s always a media hack. How I’ll laugh at them tomorrow night.

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Feel the force, Luke, and embrace all that Schadenfreude.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

It’s shootin’ hoops for Dear Leader tomorrow…

d1carter on November 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Thanks, that’s where I saw it earlier. Gah……. like all of the last few years.

Anyway, that may not happen now that his team knows that Romney will be working (gasp!) till the end.

Good job, Mitt.

Cody1991 on November 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

speak about the skew? i know i know…

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Way way too late for that. The RNC only had four years to BBQ the Donk’s and are still fighting over which rub to put on the steaks.

Limerick on November 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

:) right there with ya buddy

cmsinaz on November 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

It’s interesting that Romney is visiting CAMPAIGN OFFICES

Steve Z on November 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Sombering

Schadenfreude on November 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Physics Geek on November 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Um… Geek? You need to get out more. I’ve not seen any indications that enthusiasm is any lower than 2010. I believe it’s higher. It might be “The Big Bang” of Republican turnout.

oldroy on November 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Steveangell on November 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Holy wow, you really are insane.

wargamer6 on November 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM