Quotes of the day

posted at 11:04 pm on November 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Romney’s crowds are building—28,000 in Morrisville, Pa., last night; 30,000 in West Chester, Ohio, Friday It isn’t only a triumph of advance planning: People came, they got through security and waited for hours in the cold. His rallies look like rallies now, not enactments. In some new way he’s caught his stride. He looks happy and grateful. His closing speech has been positive, future-looking, sweetly patriotic. His closing ads are sharp—the one about what’s going on at the rallies is moving.

All the vibrations are right A person who is helping him who is not a longtime Romneyite told me, yesterday: “I joined because I was anti Obama—I’m a patriot, I’ll join up But now I am pro-Romney.” Why? “I’ve spent time with him and I care about him and admire him. He’s a genuinely good man.” Looking at the crowds on TV, hearing them chant “Three more days” and “Two more days”—it feels like a lot of Republicans have gone from anti-Obama to pro-Romney.

Something old is roaring back. One of the Romney campaign’s surrogates, who appeared at a rally with him the other night, spoke of the intensity and joy of the crowd “I worked the rope line, people wouldn’t let go of my hand.” It startled him. A former political figure who’s been in Ohio told me this morning something is moving with evangelicals, other church-going Protestants and religious Catholics. He said what’s happening with them is quiet, unreported and spreading: They really want Romney now, they’ll go out and vote, the election has taken on a new importance to them.

I suspect both Romney and Obama have a sense of what’s coming, and it’s part of why Romney looks so peaceful and Obama so roiled.

***

Mitt Romney’s record, to put it gently, has not always been that of a National Review conservative. The more we have learned about the health-care plan he got enacted in Massachusetts, the less wise we consider it. During his campaign he has too often been unimaginative or vague on health care, federal spending, and taxes. Yet he has also stood, riskily, for a necessary reform of entitlements. He has vowed to be a reliable ally of pro-lifers and judicial conservatives. Without indicating any desire to go to war with Iran, he has treated its nuclear ambitions, and the increased power their realization would gain it, with an appropriate alarm (and we trust Tehran would read his election as a negative development). He has made it clear that in cutting spending he would be mindful that the national defense is the federal government’s foremost responsibility. In choosing Paul Ryan as his prospective vice president he has shown far better judgment than Obama, whose own pick weekly demonstrates that the categories of buffoon and demagogue are not mutually exclusive.

In this election we are proud to stand with Mitt Romney over the vain collectivist in the White House, and we hope the voters will make the same decision.

***

Many (including myself) have been critical of the Romney campaign for not being aggressive enough in laying out a domestic policy vision and an agenda for getting us beyond the collapsing liberal welfare state. But the most important plank of such an agenda—the domestic policy challenge that matters most if we are to avert a fiscal catastrophe and replace liberal statism with conservative dynamism—is the challenge of Medicare reform. And on that front, Romney has shown more courage than any Republican presidential nominee in the history of the liberal welfare state—not only proposing a significant reform, but proposing just the right reform, and doing so despite countless warnings about the political risk. And he didn’t just propose it, but he pressed the Medicare issue when it mattered, and seems to have essentially defused the political risk while helping make a market-based reform of Medicare the consensus Republican position. This has been, to put it mildly, no small feat…

Mitt Romney has shown that he deserves to win this election. He deserves to win not just for being a better choice than his opponent, but also for giving us some reason to believe that he may really be up to some of the daunting challenges confronting whoever will be president in the coming years. No leader can do everything he should, and no presidency can be devoid of countless failures, embarrassments, and missed opportunities. The question is whether a leader is basically focused on the right priorities, and whether a president gets the big things right. The Romney campaign has suggested that Mitt Romney could well be up to doing that. And in the process of running a campaign that suggests this, he has also shown himself to be a decent, serious person with a high-minded sense of what it is to run for office. His opponent has not. No one could mistake him for the messiah, but Romney could be a pretty good chief executive for the federal government. And that’s saying a lot.

***

Against all odds, Romney is feeling like a winner.

Even as polls show him trailing, albeit narrowly, in most battleground states, Romney has seen the final chapter of his 20-year quest for the presidency take on a cinematic quality. He’s speaking, for the first time, to huge, zealous crowds. His rhetoric has gotten loftier, and his voice often takes on the tone of a true believer as he declares that his campaign “has become a movement.”

“This is exciting,” the candidate exclaimed at one point. “Isn’t this exciting?”

“To a lot of us who are exhausted just because we have long days like this, you know, we feed off his energy,” Madden said. “Right now, I think he’s just in a really great place and he’s enjoying this.”

***

I’m going to make my predictions on this race based on more than just the polls. Over the past few months there have been many indicators that this race is going to be drastically different from the one we saw in 2008 — Romney’s crowd sizes, volunteer efforts, fundraising efforts, and a change in the Obama campaign from presenting the candidate as an uplifting symbol of hope to presenting him as a beleaguered president trying to claw his way to reelection.

First, I believe Romney will squeeze out a popular-vote win of about two percentage points: 50.5 to 48.5 (I’m assuming about 1 percent of the vote will go third party). This margin will be enough for Romney to win the Electoral College. Just last week, I would have predicted a slightly larger victory, but Hurricane Sandy cut a little bit of the edge Romney had by providing Obama with one last chance to leverage the advantage of the incumbency…

My final Electoral College prediction is 295 for Romney to 243 for Obama. We’ll find out in two days how close I am, but if Republicans come out Tuesday like the party-identification polls from Gallup and Rasmussen have predicted, I feel confident that Romney is going to shock the conventional wisdom set by the media and be announced as the next president of the United States.

***

“My sense about this is fairly simple,” Hume said. “We’re looking at a national race, which is, for all intents and purposes, tied. We are looking at a set of state polls in the battleground states that suggests President Obama is leading — he is leading in most of these polls. And most reporters would look at that and say, ‘Well, if that’s the case, it looks like President Obama is going to win.’ And that is what a lot of people think. That is kind of the conventional wisdom.”

“However, a number of those polls have a remarkably large number of Democrats in the sample — more Democrats, in some cases, than turned out by percentage on Election Day four years ago, which was a big year for the Democrats,” Hume continued. “They don’t expect to have as big a year. So, those polls are troubling. Now, it would be unprecedented for this many polls reflecting a similar outcome to be wrong, which is why I think people are reluctant to draw that conclusion. But there’s something wrong here.”

***

It’s not enough for the GOP to win tomorrow. It needs to win big, a win so convincing that even the Left won’t be able to explain it away. The definition of victory in war is not a 50.1 percent majority that allows the other side to keep fighting — it’s the battleship Missouri, on whose deck the losing side signs articles of capitulation. The modern Left — the unholy spawn of ’30s gangland and ’60s academic Marxism — must be forced to its knees in surrender.

There’s a honored place in our political system for a leftist party, one that pushes for improvement in areas that need improving, but not one devoted to revolutionary “fundamental change.” A vote for Romney tomorrow is a vote against the socialist elements that seized control of the JFK/Scoop Jackson Democratic party in 1972, and has worked against America’s best interests ever since. A vote for Romney tomorrow is a vote for a restoration of the old Jacksonian — Andrew, that is — Democratic party, a true populist party shorn of its Communist accretions that is every bit as all-American as the other guys. Unless and until this happens, though, the modern donkeys will continue their war on the Constitution, convinced they are on the side of the angels, and taking solace in the late Ted Kennedy’s words, “the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.”

It’s up to the electorate tomorrow to show them that the dream is really a nightmare, from which it’s time to awake, that the cause of America always endures, and the work of restoring our founding principles begins anew today.

***

***

Via Daily Rushbo.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10 11

G’night Jackie. G’night all. See you all around tomorrow.

novaculus on November 6, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Has anyone seen Lord of War??..:)

Dire Straits

Yep. Not a bad movie. He’s probably a lib, but I like Nicolas Cage.

xblade on November 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Ditto, guys. Happy Birthday! I must have missed the announcements.

novaculus on November 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Thanks! The best possible present I can think of is this: Vote Romny/Ryan today, if you haven’t already done so. Well, I’m off to bed now. I have an early morning ahead of me. ‘Night everyone! :)

Benedict Nelson on November 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Yep. Not a bad movie. He’s probably a lib, but I like Nicolas Cage.

xblade on November 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I agree..It is a good flick..Cage is a good actor whose movies are sometimes hit or miss..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Benedict Nelson on November 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Happy Birthday..:)

PS..Thumbs up on the voting for R&R..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Quick Pop in Peeps…………

……….Intell News From the Election War Front:)
======================================================

Obama wins in village of Hart’s Location with 23 votes to Romney’s 9. Libertarian Gary Johnson receives 1 vote – @AP

7 mins ago from http://www.cbsnews.com by editor

Nov 6 2012–1:17AM

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Thanks for the link..:)

Dire Straits on November 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM

In the event of a Romney/Ryan win.

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

:-) Brindisi works to :-)

Libiamo!…à votre santé :-)

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM

So much delusional wishcasting on the right these days — and I hope you’re right — personally I’m prepared and expecting the worst tomorrow (er, tonight).

And I’m not sure how shoving your head in the sand, rejecting poll after poll, convincing yourselves and everyone in your partisan bubble that THEY ARE WRONG and WE WILL WIN IN A LANDSLIDE somehow makes it so. I get that optimism is important when it comes to campaigning, but the level of optimism here with the talks of Romney winning easy fly strictly in the face of reality.

Again, I hope I’m wrong. But at some point, you have to allow reason to take hold, take off the red-colored glasses and realize, for starters, the polls tend to be accurate. Remember 4 years ago, when all those PUMAs were going to change the election by 10 points, and McCain was going to win and these polls were all bogus? Yeah…

Unfortunately, it looks like most of you didn’t learn a thing from that, and are set to be massively disappointed tomorrow night. And inevitably, that will lead to the latest circular firing squad about “what went wrong” and inevitably from there throwing Romney under the bus, who ran a brilliant campaign and did everything he could to win.

What a pity it will be to see this place revert to what it was a year ago (when it came to Romney) on steroids.

jjraines on November 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Trollcot!

Flotsam Jetsome on November 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Nous allons tous avoir une boisson demain soir !

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Candy Crowley may look like one, but Angela Gheorghiu is the opera singer.

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM

My final thoughts, humbly shared here. (Real name: Michael Christian Knudsen.)

My Final Thoughts on the 2012 Election

Four years ago, after Barack Obama was elected, I gave him every benefit of the doubt. I wanted to believe that he could be any semblance of the centrist, uniting figure he professed at times to be (during his teleprompter speeches, to be sure, not when he was speaking honestly off the cuff).

Mr. Obama has been fifty times worse than I ever allowed myself to imagine.

He has expanded the federal government’s power and control beyond any semblance of reasonableness (to the point where, if in 2014, Obamacare remains on the books as is, I will, for the first time in my adult life, willfully defy a government directive; I will not cooperate with the insurance mandate nor its reporting requirements). He has saddled my children, and my children’s children, with crushing, catastrophic, unsustainable debt, for no benefit whatsoever (indeed, the Feds can’t even protect an ambassador, expand our Navy, nor help hurricane victims; all that massive spending was for pure political patronage…and real-world impotence).

GM and Chrysler were “saved” by the government, at the expense of the non-union workers, in a mockery of bankruptcy law that made permanent their insolvency (Chrysler is no longer an American company, and GM will need to be “saved” again). The Federal Government is now the only game in town for student loans. Coal-fired plants are having to shut down left and right due to an out-of-control EPA. Obama won’t let us drill for oil on federal land, but has the gall to tout the expansion of drilling on private lands. The Keystone Pipeline has been blocked. What Obama could not “achieve” via the Constitutional lawmaking process (cap and trade, the DREAM Act, gutting welfare reform), he has simply instituted via executive fiat. Indeed, he has discarded entirely any of the lawful restraints on the office that he holds, ordering troops to Libya without Congressional approval, and deciding when and how Congress can be considered to be “in recess.” And in the most brazen act of cowardice and betrayal, Mr. Obama apparently stood by and watched as four Americans were murdered in Benghazi (for political gain). Obama couldn’t look a father in the eye whose son he had watched get murdered. He took a grieving mother in his arms, promising her that he would “get to the bottom” of what happened….and then utterly ignored the madam once she longer presented a good photo op. Mr. Obama and his Secretary of State then lied to the American people, and furthermore, apologized to the Muslim world for the First Amendment that Americans hold so dear. This President then spat upon said freedom by arresting a filmmaker on some trumped up “parole violation,” certainly one that didn’t require a visit by federal agents in the middle of the night with the news cameras rolling. He has thus taken a man prisoner for political benefit, i.e. a political prisoner. We haven’t had one of those in generations. And, Obama sacrificed untold American and Mexican lives, including that of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, for an apparent gunwalking scheme designed to give a pretext for the undermining of our Second Amendment. When the opportunity to come clean with the American people arose, Obama declared “Executive Privilege,” and his Attorney General was held in contempt of Congress. And let’s not forget, Obama told Vladimir Putin to be patient; our president would have more “flexibility” on missile defense….after the election.

Mr. Obama, to be sure, is not the first command-and control “progressive” president; he is merely its latest manifestation (from a movement that has been constant, unyielding, patient, and inevitable, in expanding government power throughout the past hundred years). But Barack has moved the ball for his cause forward, in ways which Wilson, Johnson, and even FDR could have only dreamed of, to the country’s ultimate detriment.

Mr. Obama has been the most craven, the most childish, the most brazen, the most contemptible, the least presidential, and the most attention-whoring man ever to hold the Executive Office. I don’t want a President who campaigned as a “uniter,” but holds people like me, i.e. political opposition, in far more contempt than he ever holds a foreign enemy of the United States. I don’t want a president who claimed to “hear my voice” and “need my help” in his victory speech, but then turned right around and said “I won,” told a friendly audience to “punish” their enemies (that would be me), and this past week told another rally that theirs is a vote for revenge. I don’t want a president who makes a mockery of his office by giving more time to The Daily Show and The View than he does to the White House Press Corps (indeed, this apparent new tradition of the president behaving no differently than the average run-of-the-mill no-name senator, being the “Celebrity in Chief” on late night talk shows…may this end with Obama; it’s a joke, and not a funny one). Obama has rarely, if ever, been honest about his true agenda, for if he were, he would not have garnered one single vote. He doesn’t believe in that “rugged, American spirit.” If he did, he would trust me to manage my own health care decisions.

And I don’t want a president who abandons our allies (be it Israel or the Pakistani doctor who helped us find Bin Laden), looks away as an Ambassador and heroic Navy Seals are killed, and is so desperate to play politics with everything that he couldn’t wait to spike the Bin Laden football (immediately rendering useless any intelligence that we may have recovered from the terrorist’s compound).

“You didn’t build that”…… THAT’S the real Obama. Everything starts and ends with government, the collective (with Mr. Obama, of course, as the only remaining individual, pulling everyone’s puppet strings).

None of the past four years have been fun. Nothing of feeling this way about one’s president is fun. And unlike the leftists who despised President Bush, I despise Mr. Obama for what he does and how he acts…not for what he looks like, how he speaks, nor where he comes from (and, to be sure, I would never sanction a film about his assassination, unlike our pals on the left). If I had been wrong about Obama four years ago, no one would have been happier than I.

I was not wrong.

(And no, the “where he comes from” bit wasn’t a hint that I think Obama was born in Kenya. That’s a marginalized, non-issue politically unless and until someone ever produces incontrovertible proof that Mr. Obama was not born in these United States. It is utterly beside the point at this juncture.)

Sadly, I’m not sure if all Americans realize what’s in store for them in a second Obama term….or if they are aware, it truly frightens me that they embrace it.

How one could look objectively at the persistent, soul-crushing misery brought upon their fellow citizens by unemployment as it currently stands (and has remained for four years), yet not wish a change….I do not know.

How one could envision the IRS fining you for not purchasing the health insurance that the government MANDATES you to have (the cost of the same having increased dramatically due to further government dictates)….how one can know that this is coming, and NOT be outraged, appalled, and terrified, I do not know.

How one could watch as the EPA, the IRS, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Independent Payment Advisory Board, and all the rest, issue rule after rule after regulation after mandate after fine after penalty with no control, consent, nor input from the citizenry…how one could bear witness to the same and not be disgusted by the societal destruction left behind in the wake of their arbitrary, nonsensical, life and livelihood destroying demands….I do not know.

Mr. Romney, for whatever his faults (he is by no means anyone’s doctrinaire conservative), is a kind and generous man, has argued eloquently for limited government in this campaign, and through his VP selection of Paul Ryan, has signaled that he is more than willing to address at least one of the two top issues of this generation: our crushing debt. (The monstrous federal bureaucracy is the other issue, by the way.) Paul Ryan is the only pol in Washington who has attempted to address this problem with any seriousness whatsoever. The rest are either complicit in the problem, going along merely to get along (sadly, George Bush and the Congressional Republicans who lost their majority fall into this category), wanting only to tell the public what it wants to hear (all about Uncle Sam’s goodies, never about their cost), or….they are following the Cloward-Piven strategy of willfully invoking doom to our financial system.

Whichever of the latter two categories Obama falls into (blind naive ideology or deliberate ruination), only he knows. The question, in the end, is irrelevant.

There is a tangible toll in human suffering to one Barack Obama in power, and it cannot be allowed to continue.

Mitt Romney is hardly the perfect blueprint of the unshakeable political will (from conservatism) that needs to be summoned at this hour. But, the primaries are over (and the alternative candidates were also each very flawed). In a choice between Romney and Obama, there is no choice. Mr. Romney has asked for this opportunity, and the American people, tomorrow, shall give his candidacy its final hearing. Should Mr. Romney be elected, he will face perhaps the most difficult test of any president in our time: he will be charged with turning back the expansion of the leviathan state. If he succeeds in repealing Obamacare nor any other Obama-era law, let alone in bringing reform to Social Security and Medicare (one day, we will be talking about their elimination, not their reform)….Romney will have accomplished what no other modern politician, not even Reagan, was able to do: turn back the growth of government. Our Republic, and our Constitution as it is currently (mis-)applied, so incentivizes the power of the state to grow, as to make a turning back point somewhat of a miracle.

We are potentially facing dark times, regardless of tomorrow’s outcome. Generations from now, our descendants will care not for Big Bird and “binders full of women” and Seamus the Dog and all the rest of the nonsense. They will know whether our nation decided collectively to face our fiscal calamity as adults….or if we decided to stay in the unsustainable Wonderland, where the state provides all for the favored, stifles the freedom of the rest, and creates the line of demarcation between itself and the citizen so faintly as to be not cognizable. And if the latter should hold true, the children of tomorrow will rightly curse our names.

Methinks the American idea will live on, regardless. But very difficult years are on the way if we do not change course. Now. As we are tragically seeing right now with Hurricane Sandy’s aftermath, a government that can dictate your purchase of soda cannot come to your aid when the floods come. It can mico-manage your daily activities. But it cannot protect your freedom, your person, your livelihood, or, in the end, your life.

That which cannot continue, won’t.

I pray tomorrow for a change to a better path.

Hawkins1701 on November 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Nov 6 2012–1:17AM

canopfor on November 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Not a good sign or a good start.. but at this point, i cannot wait for this election to get over.

Canopfor, you and I cannot vote for Romney/Ryan – always thought that you are Canadian and as for me, i am Indian (no, not native American :-) but here we are wishing that Romney will somehow win – i am using the word “somehow” as it will take nothing less than a miracle for Romney to win – he needs to get every vote that he possibly can.

jjraines on November 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM

JJ Raines, i dont live in the US any more (moved back home in 2010 to India) but i know exactly how and why conservatives feel the way they do – Distrust in the MSM is at an all time high and this is why people like George Will and Michael Barone – very sane, reasonable people who are not exactly partisan hacks are predicting a Romney win… and you know how ? NOT by going with the polling data – if they did, they would have said that this election is too close to call.

Lets assume every one in HA is crazy.. but how do you explain Michael Barone’s confidence ? This is the guy who keeps saying “Dont get cockly kid..” I actually agree with you that many conservatives are not seeing how close and tight the race is and how incredibly difficult it is to dislodge the incumbent.

But the reason why the folks here are expecting/seeing things differently is because they are TERRIFIED to even imagine a second term for Obama.. this one person has already done enough damage to this country and polarize it to the extent that he is talking about “revenge” ! Revenge against whom ? fellow Americans ? for what ?? What kind of person talks like that ?? let alone the President of the United States ??

What ever happened to “hope and change” ?? Well, it just so happens that he is just another fraud from Chicago – probably THE GREATEST FRAUD from Chicago.

Good luck to conservatives out here in HA and every where else… Stand up and FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT !!!

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Nous allons tous avoir une boisson demain soir !

bayview on November 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM

absolument :-)…I’ll open a reserve Château Haut-Brion de Pesac for the occasion :-)

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 3:28 AM

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM

thank you, nagee for your great pep talk!! :-) we fought the right fight and we will WIN tomorrow!!!

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 3:33 AM

My missive comes late in the night but early in the morning…

I want to on this last day say a heartfelt huge Thank You from the bottom of my heart for all the wonderful folks I have met here…

I was here but a short while, I got the fever for Palin, still I was a somewhat Libertarian… but sat on the sidelines for a long time digesting everything that was written here by a great crew, Allah and Ed and Doc Zero and all the others who wrote here, but especially everyone who posted thoughtful and sensible comments that helped me to see just how much of a Conservative I am!!

I have so enjoyed the warmth I have felt here from the very special folks who made me feel welcome.

The last 4 years have been dreadful, and yet here you all were/are so salient in your prose so strong in belief that we can and will have a brand new morning in America!

No matter the outcome later today…

I will always have HA to come to and laugh and cry and spin tunes and read of the silliness that happens here on QOTD!

HA is an amazing gathering of good people from all across this great country and from dear friends from across the border to the north!!

The trolls have been amusing and downright nasty… I was glad to see TROLLCOTT enacted! The last few days have been so nice…

I feel a great change in the air, I believe God on high is looking down upon us and He will know we did our very best…

Until we meet again later…

God Bless America and God Bless each and everyone of you here…

Thank you to Jackie, Sparky, Canopfor, Bmore, Lanceman, EG, Flora, Axe, Fred, Dire, Shadenfreude, Chesire, Predator, Cindy, KOOLAID, KCB, RWM, Jaime, JP, Red et al…all very special folks…

Good Morning and good night!

Scrumpy on November 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM

(moved back home in 2010 to India)

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM

You may be safer there, for the nonce.

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM

I’ve looked at a lot of different numbers from a lot of different polls, sourced via links at this and many other sites, and while I’ll not re-hash ground that’s been gone over endlessly here and elsewhere, I’ll just say that I think that R&R is going to win, and win BIG, despite what we’re being fed by the pollsters and the MSM. Call it an educated hunch.

Flotsam Jetsome on November 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Hawkins1701 on November 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Sir! I sincerely applaud your commentary…

I wish I was as eloquent as you…

You have said what many of us feel, and I Thank You for the time and effort it took you to write this.

You Sir are all heart!!

God Bless you…

Scrumpy on November 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Day before yesterday it was even. Yesterday the media started with everyone but everyone smothering the airwaves with ‘Barry is pulling ahead’. PBS’ Newshour didn’t have one guest pick RnR. The media out hacking down the R vote as best they can. Will it work? I pray not but the peeps are such a fickle bunch.

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Limerick on November 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM

it’s not going to work, not this time!!

jimver on November 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Cannot wait for this day to end. RR FTW…

OmahaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 4:11 AM

The Democrats — including Barry in Iowa — look pretty defeated. Barry was even crying thinking back to the excitement and energy of ’08 in Iowa. Mary Ann Marsh on BOR was fighting back the lump in her throat as she was spinning, and MSNBC was outright angry tonight.

It’s looking good — especially with the EVs in Ohio:

:-)

Punchenko on November 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I received this last night from my sister-in-law. It’s not the prayer Eisenhower issued on the eve of D-Day, but it ain’t bad:

Dear Beloved God in Heaven:
Please give us a president who loves this country and everything it stands for.
Please give us a president who respects you as the one true God.
Please give us a president who will, with your help, restore this nation to its former glory, the way you created her.
Please help us to respect what you have given to us and not take anything for granted ever again.
Please God weaken the evil and strengthen the good both without and within.
May our eyes be opened.
In Jesus’ name, Amen
God Bless America

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Thanks for this…

OmahaConservative on November 6, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Scrumpy on November 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Quick late night peek, caught your post. It has been a long 4 years. Let’s do our part to end this administration. Doesn’t mean we can’t keep getting together, spin some tunes, and talk about what Romney should be doing. ;-) Take care. See you tomorrow.

KCB on November 6, 2012 at 4:23 AM

That which cannot continue, won’t.

I pray tomorrow for a change to a better path.

Hawkins1701 on November 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM

For any ideal to live on, it needs enough number of people to support that ideal. It cannot live on, all by itself – and if Obama is re-elected, it would be a sad but sure sign that America is on a declining path because most of its citizens are ignorant of its founding ideals or worse vehemently disagree with it.

When Obama dared to declare “You did not build that”, he pretty much threw the guantlet down at the American ideal.Whether there are enough number of Americans who will pick it up remains to be seen.

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Trollcot!

Flotsam Jetsome on November 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM

I’m not a troll. I can almost guarantee that I’ve been on HotAir longer than you have (been reading since ’07).

This is the exact groupthink, head in the sand mentality that’s become so irksome and frankly embarrassing.

So if someone looks at the situation with some modicum of objectivity, lends credence to polls and projections, and thus is not-so-bullish about Romney’s chances, that makes one a troll in your fantasy land? Good to know.

jjraines on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 AM

You may be safer there, for the nonce.

Was that a misspelt word or did you really mean what Urban Dictionary says what the word nonce means ?

You have no idea of how much I wish the above sentiment ends up being true..how ever, iam a pessimist by nature (may be thats why I like AP:-) and at this point can only fervently hope and pray for a Romney/Ryan to win.

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 4:47 AM

jjraines on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 AM

No one even wants to contemplate losing at this point – it does not do any good to keep telling that the polls are not looking good for Romney right now… i am a pessimist myself but lets not depress the conservative base out here – turn out is going to be every thing today. Get out and Vote if you feel that Obama has been allowed a free hand to ruin this country.. let the chips fall as they may.

There are only so many things you can control in a close election – one of those is how you vote. So what if you feel Romney is behind ? i hope it does not stop you from voting for him and helping to get out the vote for Romney /Ryan.

Good luck !!

nagee76 on November 6, 2012 at 4:55 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Thank you Sam. I needed that. I too am in southwest Ohio and I hope we will pull through for the country’s sake. I am cautiously optimistic! All the best today as we wait to hear the fate of our beloved country.

JannyMc on November 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Well, I always thought I was a pessimist by nature, but this year, I am fired up. Polls open in an hour here — and I’m going to be near the front of that line.

CJ on November 6, 2012 at 5:02 AM

QUESTION:

There was a big hull-a-ba-loo about the Osama bin Laden movie that National Geographic was running the weekend before the election. I even saw the director last week interviewed on MSNBC (“Oh, no, timing has nothing to do with anything”) I didn’t hear much about it otherwise. Can we assume everyone was watching the Alabama-LSU game? I’m curious as to how much it tried to prop-up Zero. I understand more scenes were added to do that.

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Come to think of it, what did happen to that thing? We didn’t even get a review thread here.

hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM

There’s an election today?

rob verdi on November 6, 2012 at 5:21 AM

..well, I guess I am reporting for the Day Shift here on QOTD and there seems to be an abundance of protracted — and poignant — declarations of affection for HG as one of the better refuges and havens from the liberal brown tide that engulfs the political intertoobes.

I’ll briefly add what I have said all along: you folks are the greatest and, come what may, we will persevere.

I also want to add that I am sincerely grateful (literally) for those of you who put aside your disappointment and (in some cases) rancor to support Mitt Romney over the candidate of your choice in the primaries.

The battle is about to be joined and I hope we all emerge happier, wiser, and with a man as our leader who will rescue this country at it’s moment of dire peril.

Let this day be our Battle of Agincourt, our Crispian’s day.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian.’
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say ‘These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.’
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he’ll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

Let’s get this done!

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Good Morning HA Crew!

I love you guys, and we are in this together no matter the outcome….

*wearing my romney t shirt*

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Let’s get this done!

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:38 AM

amen wp

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:48 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM

*clink*

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:48 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:48 AM

*clink*

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:50 AM

..sadly, cms, I cannot share in any libations having — only yesterday — been put on a regimen of antibiotics for a (non-serious) abdominal infection.

But I count it as an omen that Romney will triumph since I will be relegated to toasting him with cub soda!

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:50 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:50 AM

ugharoo sorry to hear that…no worries, we’ll drink one for you and club soda will work just fine, canopfor will have a great big mug of tea ready to go

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Time to take out the trash

tommyboy on November 6, 2012 at 5:56 AM

whats the over/under of how many lawsuits and dems crying voter suppression today

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Poor old Joe, he like a pit bull that gets lost a lot but thinks he a cat. Maybe it’s the fur plugs?

Don L on November 6, 2012 at 5:58 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM
The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 5:38 AM

I wish you a good morning, I hope that the day goes well for our side, it has already come to pass for me as I am on the other side of the world, so tomorrow when I wake we will be in the thick of it and by afternonn my time we should know. Hunker down my freinds, it will be a long one, and I hope a great outcome!

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 5:59 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:56 AM

..I believe there will be some mischief today but it woill look pathetic if Romney wins big. Ace’s got a post on one such tactic:

Brad Thor: I Have It From A Reliable Source In the Chicago Camp That Obama Plans To Declare Victory Early Tomorrow, In Order to Demoralize Romney Voters
—Ace

Hey! He may as well start RIGHT NOW since the Dixville Notch count has come in with The Crapsack™ with him leading, I think.

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM

New Jersey’s top elections official told POLITICO late Monday that voters who submit ballots via email or fax must also mail in those ballots for their votes to count

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83371.html#ixzz2BRISy6rs

ruh roh, i can hear al sharpton now…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:02 AM

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 5:59 AM

..good morning to you as well. If you are deployed, stay safe and join the thread when you wake.

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:02 AM

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 5:59 AM

morning mf, with ya there buddy

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM

i don’t put anything past these libs…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM

ruh roh, i can hear al sharpton now…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:02 AM

..complaining because his followers cannot fathom the complexities of a postage stamp perhaps?

*chortle*

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM

game over mika says the president is going to win and that it will be good for the country

y’all can stay on the couch

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:04 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM

..you’re in Phoenix, right? Or Tucson? I forget.

(Do not have to answer if privacy is a concern.)

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:05 AM

For Whom The Bells Tolls……..

gametime, yo.

ted c on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:04 AM

LOL.michael steele even nodded in approval. obama by a hair.

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

ted c on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

..morning, ted! I brought Danish if you want one!

:-D

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:05 AM

right outside phoenix

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM

It is here! The longest day in memory. Logic, through the parsing of numbers, tells me Romney will win. Emotion still unsure.

Is it because I truly believe that there has never been more at stake for our great country? Is it because I know the depths of evil that lurks in the far lefts hearts? Whatever the reason, this:

Dear Beloved God in Heaven:
Please give us a president who loves this country and everything it stands for.
Please give us a president who respects you as the one true God.
Please God weaken the evil and strengthen the good both without and within.
May our eyes be opened.
In Jesus’ name, Amen
God Bless America

BuckeyeSam on November 6, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Now..Let’s go kick some butt!!!

HoustonRight on November 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM

good morning folks! here we are. I am optimistic today. don’t have much time to chat as I’ve gotta scoot. but i’ll be on/off through the day.

ted c on November 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

steele and joe, the ‘conservatives’ wonder twins

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:09 AM

ted c on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Now THAT starts the morning off right! Thx

HoustonRight on November 6, 2012 at 6:09 AM

morning ted c, we’ll see you on the flip side

lots of prayers this am houston right

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Y’all can stomach Moaning Schmoe today? Not me. It took Schmoe ten seconds to declare Obama the winner and his panel has the two weakest links for Republicans: Steele and Schmidt. Oh, I’ll be watching tomorrow. In fact, it will probably see record ratings.

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

morning joe-why should gop be hopeful because if you look at the polls theres no way mitt can win….

jiminey christmas…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

its tough this am lemme tell you….will see how long i last

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:13 AM

right outside phoenix

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM

..in SoCal here. So we’re both pushing the envelope for “morning” I guess. Anyway, hang tough, cms. It’ll be a fun day, I think!

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

chuck f. talks to gop “insiders” and they feel mitt will lose ohio by 3.
heilman talks to obama “insiders” and they are quietly confidant.

propaganda, thy name is mornining joe.

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM
cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

..someone’s gonna be very surprised later today. I hope it’s them.

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

*crossing fingers*

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Last election it was Cyndi McCain tearful on election day. I think these campaigns know about a week out (at least) who will win.

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:19 AM

propaganda, thy name is mornining joe.

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

oh yeah, count the rest of msdnc and cnn

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Uhhh….no, I don’t remember that at all.

Which polls would those be, the ones showing Obama ahead, the ones showing Romney ahead, or the ones showing the race is tied? Or maybe the polls that have the dems at D+11, which I don’t think has never happened.

Yes, the polls tend to be accurate….except when they aren’t. We’ll see soon enough which ones were accurate. Hopefully the right ones were.

xblade on November 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

So back in the day (as kids), you like me picked scabs off ourselves to see how much pain we could take?

No pain

No gain :)

HoustonRight on November 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Well me and the wife are calling it deployed, the guy that sent me here calls it a Permanent Change of Station , for one year, so another year without the wife, but at least this year she doesn’t have to worry about me getting shot at or blown up as I am on an island in the middle of the Pacific. I am more worried about her, the threat of rioting concerns me a bit, but she is hunkered down on base back there so all should be well. I will check back in once I get up.

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:19 AM

i hope so

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM

I’m 6th in line and ready to do this!!!! R&R!!!!

Nikkia2112 on November 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Hell for folk hung out to dry
By DOUG AUER, RICH CALDER and LEONARD GREENE
Last Updated: 3:27 AM, November 6, 2012
Posted: 12:44 AM, November 6, 2012
They’re getting their drinking water from fire hydrants, walking past raw sewage in stairwells and donning three sets of clothing to stave off the freezing temps.
From Long Beach to Red Hook, from Coney Island to Midland Beach, the hurricane horror stories just keep coming.

why doesn’t moaning joe focus on these stories?/s

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:25 AM

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM

hang tight

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM

dan rathers “gut” says romney.

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM

LOL, Dan Rather on Schmoe? I thought he was a Current TV boy.

Oh, now it’s Mike Allen struggling to speak.
“Pfffthph Mitt Romney will ptthhhtthh struggle all day ptthhhh today…..”

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM

yes! RR2012

I am taking three RR voters to the polls with me this evening!!

screwauger on November 6, 2012 at 6:30 AM

jjraines on November 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I’m hoping for a big win, if even by a hair. But there’ll be no meltdown. This war doesn’t stop because of a single battle.

hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 6:30 AM

dan rathers “gut” says romney.

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM

A real prediction or are you funning?

hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM

apparently only mitt has to worry about turnout not dear leader

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM

mike allen brushing off rather’s gut…just because mitt has had large crowds at his rallies doesn’t mean they’ll vote

what a crock

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Somebody tell my buddy libdie that Adam Baldwin is not related to Alec & Stephen since he’s not speaking to me.

Lanceman on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

This Mike Allen really is a weenie, isn’t he? He would have gotten stuffed in a locker on a daily basis in my high school. And I went to an all-girls Catholic school.

Dan Rather? What, to add gravitas to the show?

Naturally Curly on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

The War Planner on November 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Yeah, I saw that too.

It got me started before I’d even slurped my first cup of joe.

Don’t worry to much, between Glenn and Rush… I suspect they’ll fire up the troops.

Thought of the day:

CPT. Charles on November 6, 2012 at 6:34 AM

it’s sinking in in the mitt camp that they are losing
-john heileman

wow, just wow the propaganda is just spewing like a volcano this am…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Okay boys and girls. It’s time to evict the Manchurian President from OUR House. My Take.

kingsjester on November 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Thanks, I will. I wish that I would get to comment at the end of it with you guys tonight when its over, but I will be at work, but at least I can follow.

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM

This Mike Allen really is a weenie, isn’t he?

I despise MSNBC’s line up of weenies. Chris Hayes. Mike Allen. Heilemann. But the worst of the worst is Ezra Klein. When Rush does his lisp-ing character the “New Liberal Castratti” I always think of Ezra.
(“But Misther Limbaugh! Misther Limbaugh!”)

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Dan Rather thinks Mika’s hair color is fake but accurate.

Naturally Curly on November 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM

MarshFox on November 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM

please do…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM

(“But Misther Limbaugh! Misther Limbaugh!”)

Marcus on November 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I’ve often wondered why there are so many lisping liberals. I think it has something to do with botched up toilet training when they were toddlers.

Naturally Curly on November 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM

GREAT TAKE KJ!!

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Rather said he thought Mitt would win?

hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM

hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM

sure sounded like it…but then he went on agreeing with what the mj crew was saying about dear leader so who knows…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

. My Take.

kingsjester on November 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Your take is always a good one! Well done.

HoustonRight on November 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM

A real prediction or are you funning?
hawkdriver on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

i just listened to the segment again. rather said that something in his gut tells him its going to be a good day for romney.

he went on to say that if obama gets turnout that he will win. romney will get turnout. he does see a path for a romney win.

renalin on November 6, 2012 at 6:46 AM

why are floridians standing in long lines requesting absentee ballots one day before the election? i don’t get it…

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM