I guess we need to talk about that “Walking Dead” episode last night

posted at 10:24 pm on November 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

People have been asking for a TWD thread and we need a palate cleanser before 49 percent of the population has a nervous breakdown tomorrow, so here you go. Major spoilers below. Turn back now if you don’t want to know what happened.

Two things. First, why did Oscar, the big convict, shoot the little convict instead of shooting Rick? I know, I know, Rick spared his life after he tomahawked the convict gang leader in the forehead a few episodes ago, but even if you think Oscar would reciprocate in gratitude, why’d he shoot the little guy? Didn’t they spend 10 months together holed up in the cafeteria while zombies overran the prison? That must have built a certain esprit de corps. And yet, given the chance to (a) shoot Rick in the face or (b) take Rick prisoner and establish himself as the new leader, Oscar opts for (c) shooting his friend, the little guy, for no apparent reason and then handing the gun back to Rick. Did I miss a plot point somewhere that would explain that? Did Oscar suffer some sort of brain damage in hand to hand combat with the undead? Rule one of life during the zombie apocalypse: Never, ever, ever surrender your weapon.

Two: I agree with everyone else in America that the show’s much better this season than last season but I still don’t care about any of the characters. The only death that’s been even a little affecting was Shane’s, and that’s because he was the only thing happening onscreen for most of season two. Watching Carl euthanize his mom and then have his dad fall to pieces in front of him should have been gut-wrenching but all of the main players are too two-dimensional. Rick isn’t a person, he’s a lab rat in a dramatic experiment designed to see how a good man might behave when civil society collapses around him. Carl is basically just Rick at an earlier stage of development so that we can compare the effect of zombie stresses on a child in his formative years to those of an adult. If you’ve read “Lord of the Flies” or watched a few particularly didactic episodes of “The Twilight Zone,” you’re well acquainted with fragility-of-civilization drama. To make it three-dimensional, you need to be scrupulous about adding small, human details to your characters; the show used to do that (remember the sick man in season one who asked to be abandoned by a tree so he could die in serenity?) but it doesn’t do it as much anymore. It’s smart and bold and admirably merciless of the writers to cull their main characters, but there’s never any punch when they do it beyond, “Wow, I didn’t think they’d dump him/her so soon.” Is anyone going to miss Lori? Did anyone feel anything from Carl last night? If not, then we have a problem.

Oh, in case you’re wondering because of the slight ambiguity when Carl pulled the trigger: Yes, it looks like he really did finish Lori off.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

In the comic Laurie and the baby get shot by the governor

Conservative4ev on November 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

No time for this..

Must get the word out..

Vote for the American..

Sorry AP..

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

She died I cried…

Scrumpy on November 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

My students were going on and on about it today.

Bob's Kid on November 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

jeez, hug yer son you prick.

JohnBrown on November 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I was surprised at how much of the cast left last night.

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Carl’s not going for the womyn vote

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I guess we need to talk about that “Walking Dead” episode last night

Nope, goin’ to bed.

cozmo on November 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Great. ‘spoilers’ didn’t even begin to cover that bucket of chum, chum. I forgot to watch it last night, was meaning to catch the repeat. No poit now.

rayra on November 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

That show’s still on the air?

FlatFoot on November 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

The big convict had already had 10 months of the little convict. Rick’s group had womyn. Real womyn with vajajays.

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

…I’m boycotting myself on this thread.

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I guess we need to talk about that “Walking Dead” episode last night
====================================================================

For the Love of Gawd that is all Political Wholey,er,Holey,D*mn
the spelling,anywho,WTF!

Thee only plausable explanation,is that AllahPundit is working on
a Historical Hum-Dinger of a QOTD!!

(AP,I’m kidding)—————————:)

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Nope, goin’ to bed.

cozmo on November 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

30 minutes…

Just wait…

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Meh……….

FlaMurph on November 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

EVERYONE MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR ROMNEY TOMORROW

GW_SS-Delta on November 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

No T-Dog v. Merle moment.

Who freed the zombies in the opening scene? I was told it was the Little Convict but I haven’t scrutinized the hand CU. Could have been the Big Convict or T-Dog but why would T-Dog do it?

I was reading while watching and relied on others for many visual interpretations.

tuffy on November 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Lori was the reason I only watched a few episodes of season 1. I was glad to see, on Twitter last night, that she had been killed off. #SoAnnoying

rndmusrnm on November 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

…I’m boycotting myself on this thread.

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I just checked my list…
You are on it..

The list of HotArians that want to talk about the future of this Country…
And not about Walking Liberals…

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

First off AP, I think you are the only one. Almost every review I can find calls the scenes with Lori and Carl, then Rick’s reaction as gut-wrenching.

As to why Oscar shot Andrew, there were two reasons. One, Andrew was a bad con and had been lording over Oscar for 10 months while they were trapped in the prison. He didn’t want to go back to that. Two, he was very close to getting in with Rick’s group–he had just helped them turn off the generators. By killing Oscar and giving the gun back to Rick he’s hoping to prove his loyalty. He may be quiet but he knows life out on his own would be certain death and life with Rick’s group is his only chance.

freedomtrail on November 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Who the hell cares?

Terrye on November 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

was the reason I only

rndmusrnm on November 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I was waiting all day for you to say that, Allah!

sparkle motion on November 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

that stupid blonde is going to get that ninja sword lady killed.

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I’ve been rooting for the zombies since the first episode because the non-dead characters are so annoying, though the little girl walking from the barn in season two was sort of shocking.

Of course the brother had to get knocked off though, I expect Jesse Jackson to start picketing any day now.

Bishop on November 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

rayra on November 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

You were warned.

In the past I knew enough not to click on the link until I saw the episode.

No sympathy for you.

And those that post that they don’t care, go post on something you do care about. Hate the show, tell us why, love the show, tell us why, indifferent to the show, go away you add nothing.

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

MSNBC employees will be able to take zombie jobs after tomorrows landslide

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I think Oscar’s decision has to do with the weeping he did to get let into the group earlier in the episode. He wanted to sing kumbaya and feel like he belonged enough that he was willing to go that far.

As an aside, does anyone else find it funny/trollish/really funny that they killed the token black guy, and apparently replace him in the same episode? xP

Atlas on November 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Oh Oh I now,

tommorrow will be a MENTAL HEALTH DEFCON 1,2,and 3 ALERT!!!

For,

Pissed Off Walking Political DEAD,

aka;

–DemonRats
—-ProgTards
——LibTards
——SocialistSnakes
——and the Marxist Socialist Media(s) who helped CREATE….

……Hopey the Frankenstein!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

The acting was pretty powerful. Good grief!

sparkle motion on November 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

…no one cares about Dexter anymore, I guess. Alas.

Bee on November 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I guess we need to talk about that “Walking Dead” episode last night

Let’s not and say we did…

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Just finished watching the episode a couple hours ago via the DVR. The explanation of why Oscar shot the little dude is simple – he recognizes that Rick and his crew are proven survivors and realizes his best chance is proving his loyalty.

UncleFodder on November 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I just checked my list…
You are on it..

The list of HotArians that want to talk about the future of this Country…
And not about Walking Liberals…

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

…well… I know I’m not on Santa’s list! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Allah stop trolling.

aebloo on November 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I like the show but the whole zombie apocalypse scenario just gets old after awhile. In a “realistic” scenario (yeah, roll with it) most of the population would have went zombie within the first few weeks. Which means their constantly rotting bodies could never go the distance against environmental factors. Unless there’s some unexplained factor that keeps their flesh relatively free from normal decomposition. After a few weeks the majority of the Walker population should be rendered useless.

And what’s up with Hershel getting away? The guy with one good leg gimps up to a secure location outside while the other idiots run inside the prison?

If the room they were hiding in while in the prison didn’t close properly, and they’re so concerned about noise attracting Walkers, then how come Lori screaming, the baby crying, or Carl’s gunshot didn’t attract them? That one chick pops her head out the door with the baby and sees Walkers shambling down the halls, and two seconds later Carl puts a round in Lori’s head.

Gee. Maybe I don’t like this show as much as I thought. :P

Phoenix7 on November 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

that stupid blonde is going to get that ninja sword lady killed.

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Good. Can’t wait. #annoying

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

For the record, I’ve never watched an episode of the Walking Dead. Should I? ;)

Bee on November 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

On the matter of “Walking Dead”:

The Benghazi Story: Mass Grave of Reputations

Maybe the anonymous “senior U.S. intelligence officials” who gave out a “detailed timeline” about the Benghazi fiasco on Thursday never heard of Healy’s Law: “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.”

That is because the hole in which they found themselves will surely end up a mass grave for their reputations and for many others’ — beginning with General David Petraeus.

Petraeus’ sterling reputation was beginning to become forever tarnished by the failure of his COIN strategy, but that’s a tale for another post, because the “detailed timeline” that was briefed or e-mailed to the media is coming under severe attack on The Hill and elsewhere — particularly by Fox.

The “detailed timeline” contains glaring conflicts with earlier background briefings, leaks, and independent reporting, but, most importantly, it contains conflicts with what Petraeus himself told Congress when he, just three days after the attack, was calling it, as described by the inimitable Mark Steyn, a “movie review that just got a little out of hand.”

VorDaj on November 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Let’s not and say we did…

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

You just dated yourself with that comment :)

My did used to say that to me back in the day..

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

WTF, is this a show on television or something?

TXUS on November 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Speaking of the Walking Dead,…..

***Rumoured Propaghanda Political Pennslyvannia Death Grip***sarc)

Obama’s deputy campaign manager says Pennsylvania has ‘tightened’ – @politico

14 mins ago from http://www.politico.com by editor

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

…well… I know I’m not on Santa’s list! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

You do know that Santa is voting for the American…

You are on Santa’s list…

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Um. FYI, Farscape Season 1 is now available on Hulu.

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

ummm… you dont kill all the zombies in the place on the 1st day????

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

My did used to say that to me back in the day..

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

My did?????

My Dad..

Jeeze..

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

WTF, is this a show on television or something?

TXUS on November 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I vote for “Something”…

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Are you kidding? Best episode yet. Because Lori died. God, I hated her.

Dukeboy01 on November 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I’ve never seen the show. I partake little in pop culture. TWD, Lady Gaga, and whatever else makes Kim Kardashian tick on a given day doesn’t really concern me. Maybe I’m old, my kids would say yes. They are happy watching TLC cooking shows or, for voyeur purposes, we’ll watch TruTV that Wipeout show where people get creamed by all kinds of stuff—coincidentally, they need better looking chicks on there, but that’s another story.

So, does we really needsta talk about TWD episode?? If allah wants to, I guess….

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

The first thing any film or TV show has to have is a reason for the audience to care. If they fail at that nothing else matters.

None of the characters are all that likable, or interesting.

sharrukin on November 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Isn’t it Shane’s baby?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Let’s not and say we did…

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I find it ironic that folk go through all the trouble of clicking a link, logging in, typing up, and posting their opinion… which turns out to be nothing but an expression of indifference.

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Um. FYI, Farscape Season 1 is now available on Hulu.

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

What’s a Farscape???
Is that season 1 or Term 1???

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I still think it’s funny that Hollywood is about Twilight-icize zombies. LOL@

terryannonline on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

They need to run across a roving band of NFL cheerleaders.

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I freely admit to being a fan of The Walking Dead. I listened all year the first season about how “dammit, all they do is talk, where are the zombies?” The, last season, is was all about “Jeez everyone’s so touchy feely.” Then Shane got the skull ventilation and it’s all gone kill-crazy since then. This season, we’ve seen more walker blood than all the previous episodes combined. Still, people complain.

Dammit, it’s a TV show. It’s entertainment. And I’m probably the only one happy to see that conniving Lori buy the farm.

john1schn on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Obama’s deputy campaign manager says Pennsylvania has ‘tightened’ – @politico

14 mins ago from http://www.politico.com by editor

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

maybe he means his sphincter……

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

****************** ALERT ****************

@jmsummers tweeted:
jmsummers
Romney campaign announces @PaulRyanVP will travel to Ohio and Virginia tomorrow.

=============================

Juana Summers ‏@jmsummers

Romney campaign emails put Romney arriving in Cleveland at 11:40 AM EST, Ryan at 11:55 AM EST.

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Thank you Thank you for a Walking Dead Thread!!

Jackalope on November 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Your posting about a TV series… I’m finding it hard to believe that it’s that slow a night. Don’t get me wrong, you deserve some downtime.

Corporal Tunnel on November 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Ridiculous that the little convict could survive the walkers in the courtyard, survive on his own for a week without starving or being eaten, and then figure out enough of zombie behavior to set up the trap. Very weak writing — the characters are already in enough danger without this manipulation.

Neuro-conservative on November 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

A President’s Last Race, Win or Lose…
Ends Campaign in Half-Empty Arena…

flaccid……

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

What do you Think the governor is planning?

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

People have been asking for a TWD thread

So you got my tweet earlier today… @TrafficCopTimmy

Mr_Magoo on November 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

…no one cares about Dexter anymore, I guess. Alas.

Bee on November 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’m loving season 7, still have to watch last nights episode

El_Terrible on November 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Thank you Thank you for a Walking Dead Thread!!

Jackalope on November 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Well said.

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I gotsta hand it to Allah. He does know when we need to blow off a bit of steam and can sense when the pressure is gettin’ to us……

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wow, it seems like the TV show is skipping over a lot of the hardcore stuff from the comic. The comic is so much more gruesome. I guess its hard to show a baby getting its brains blown out by a madman on TV though. . . .

thphilli on November 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Sadly, Lori was becoming the person we love to hate. She spent the first two seasons developing into a two-timing, scheming b—h, and just as she is about to replace Shane, they off her.

The writers have been slow…err…boring developing Michon, who should add some excitement.

To answer the question about Oscar, it just seems about math, he saves Rick and joins the group as the new “Token” which has more benefits, instead of joining short stuff and going towards a certain death. That would be my guess. Hopefully he is not as self loathing and takes an active role in contributing to the group.

Rode Werk on November 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

What do you Think the governor is planning?

portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

a curbstompin.

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I’m also really liking Season 3 of TWD… haven’t felt disappointed with any episodes this season… didn’t like the casting of the Governor, but still liking it

El_Terrible on November 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Good show. The only thing Mrs. and little Red agree to watch together. Curious about that tea. . .

RedNewEnglander on November 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Come on haters, lighten up. There’s plenty of red meat for everybody. For example, in season2, Dale wants to takes Andrea’s guns away…Dale also is the one who is the token liberal on all of the other social issues. Dale is killed off…discuss

Jackalope on November 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

They were on the down-low? Nobody wants THAT to get out.

Mr_Magoo on November 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

that stupid blonde is going to get that ninja sword lady killed.
portlandon on November 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Ninja and the Governor are going to wind up going toe to toe I bet. And it won’t be her head that winds up in the fish tank.

Kataklysmic on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I’m embarrassed I like this show, but here it goes.

It’s interesting how the Walking Dead is showing a psychopath (the governor) as a more successful leader of his people and holding Woodbury together than a basically decent man (Rick) who is getting people killed and watching his family/group fall apart. We’ll see how things develop this season, but for now the contrasts couldn’t be more glaring.

mpthompson on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

in the comic Laurie and the baby get shot by the governor

Huh? This TV series was a comic book? Boy, am I out of touch. There is an election tomorrow, right?

SpiderMike on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

john1schn on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Nope. Me too. I’m only sorry they didn’t make it a twofer with Walt’s wife from Breaking Bad.

kim roy on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

We’ve got the most important election of our lives and at almost any time in the history of our country tomorrow, and AP has decided to indulge in a thread on a TV series? Maybe this is the Night of the Living Dead.

TXUS on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I like Dexter, too. Some seasons are better than others. This season features Miranda from Mass Effect.

Now that Dexter and his sister are divorced in real life, I keep hoping the show will hook them up constantly. I’m like Hitchcock in that way. Actors should be tortured.

tuffy on November 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I watched all of “Hell On Wheels” the other day and it wasn’t bad, not bad at all. The grittiness is thorough, living in squalor was how they did it back then.

Bishop on November 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Kataklysmic on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Check the previews, there’s a nice prelude for that. Intense.

john1schn on November 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Jackalope on November 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

what channel that show on, yo?

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM

In the comic Laurie and the baby get shot by the governor

Conservative4ev on November 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Aw, man! I haven’t read the comic yet!

Mr_Magoo on November 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM

************** RED ALERT *************************************

RALLY LIVE ON CSPAN AT 11:00PM

Mitt & Ann Romney Attend Final Rally in New Hampshire
*****************************************************
*****************************************************

Manchester, New Hampshire
Monday, November 5, 2012

Mitt Romney will be joined by his wife Ann at the campaign’s final rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.

The stop in New Hampshire at the Verizon Wireless Arena, wraps up the final day of events for Romney. Earlier in the day, he spent time in the battleground states of Florida, Virginia and Ohio.

During a campaign stop on Saturday, Mitt Romney said “New Hampshire got me the Republican nomination, and New Hampshire is going to get me the White House.” Romney won the New Hampshire Republican primary in January with 39.3% of the votes.

The latest WMUR/Granite State Poll released on October 22, has President Obama leading 49% to 41%.

Updated: Sunday at 6:01pm (ET)
==============================

Mitt Romney, Ann Romney Final Rally in Manchester, NH: Live at 11pm (ET)

*****CLick Upper Right Linky dodad,under…VIDEO PLAYLIST

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

TXUS on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yeah, well, I voted already, and I want to unwind.

john1schn on November 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

is this a place holder for AP’s “I ain’t done with the election eve QOTD thread yet?”……

discuss/

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Exit question: After the Zombie Apocalypse, do my kids still owe the $16 trillion deficit?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I’m more concerned about Negan… seems suicidal to take his group on.

El_Terrible on November 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

TXUS on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

We can talk about a TV show tonight and still vote Romney tomorrow. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I’m embarrassed I like this show, but here it goes.

mpthompson on November 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

1) I don’t know why you’re embarrassed. I’m a Walking Dead dork and freely admit it. (I never get into this kind of thing…it’s actually fun) 2) There was a viewer poll (I know, ANOTHER poll) but it asked who would you want to be your leader in the Zom-Poc. Rick won overwhelmingly. I know the Gov was trying to keep things together and maybe gets a pass for his fish tanks, but I’d stick with Rick any day of the week.

Jackalope on November 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Oh a TV show…thought we were getting early reports of democrat vote fraud.

HumpBot Salvation on November 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

thphilli on November 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Agreed. But now, since they killed off Sofia (which didn’t make any sense to me) Glenn and Maggie now have a child to raise.

rollthedice on November 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

They need to run across a roving band of NFL cheerleaders.

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Yea, I’d totaly watch that…

Mr_Magoo on November 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Mitt’s Body Man ‏@dgjackson

WOW! @aebrandenburger: PACKED house for @MittRomney in #NH #onemoreday!! http://lockerz.com/s/259211957

Mitt’s Body Man ‏@dgjackson

For our final rally, back to where it all began..New Hampshire. Going to be a great night.

=============================

canopfor on November 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM

who gets to bishop the QOTD thread tonight?

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Why are they clinging to their guns, but not their religion?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM

who gets to bishop the QOTD thread tonight?

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Me..

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

In the comic Laurie and the baby get shot by the governor

Conservative4ev on November 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Show writes/comic writers agree to change things up a bit on the show to keep views from knowing too much and ruining the suspense.

Jackalope on November 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM