Cutter: Remain calm, and don’t let tomorrow’s early tallies get you down

posted at 8:08 pm on November 5, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

For such an ostensibly confident, feelin’-good campaign, they certainly seem to be taking an awful lot of messaging precautions. In a conference call this afternoon, the Obama campaign offered some advice to supporters, lest tomorrow’s news cycle start bringing in evidence that things are going Mitt Romney’s way, via Politicker:

“My warning, we need to stay calm for much of the day,” Stephanie Cutter, Mr. Obama’s deputy campaign manager, said, touting thousands of early ballots already submitted by voters. “We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.” …

“Keep calm and tweet on,” Ms. Cutter said. “So, no matter what you hear tomorrow about turnout in Republican counties or exit polls, particularly early in the day, please remember and remind your readers that, because of early votes, we’re where we need to be to win….I don’t think there’s going to be official exits until the end of the day, but if things leak out that aren’t validated or weighted, please stay calm.”

No, it simply wouldn’t do for any potential late-in-the-day Democratic voters to be dissuaded from getting to their polling stations by poor news or spreading pessimism, would it? Cutter reminds supporters that President Obama has logged enough early votes to counterbalance any such news, but, as Mary Katharine wondered earlier… have they really? Their early voting totals across-the-board don’t seem to be anywhere near the levels they reached in 2008, and a lot of these polls’ samples are relying on similarly heady levels of enthusiastic Democratic turnout — not to mention, the Republican ground game isn’t nearly as wanting as it was in 2008. If the Obama campaign really feels so secure that that is what’s going to happen, that doesn’t quite explain away the “Please stay calm” memo, does it?

Anyhow, wouldn’t want to leave you for the evening with a bitter taste in your mouth, so here’s a bit of a palate-cleansing last-minute word on real “confidence” from Mitt himself. It’s do or die tomorrow, friends:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t panic. It’s not over until the hidden ballots pulled out of the union goon’s truck are processed.

Wigglesworth on November 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Kevin Bacon to the rescue!

aunursa on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

They’ll have the lead early on tomorrow until all of us conservatives get off work and vote…

Tim Zank on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

That actually sounds like the Democrats are worried.

sharrukin on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Trollcott, Erika.

RINO in Name Only on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

TRANSLATION: Don’t riot until the fat lady sings.

Glenn Jericho on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

If it appears Romney is going to win, what station is the best to watch liberal minds explode? MSNBC?

usedtobeinmich on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

“Keep calm and tweet on,” Ms. Cutter said.

I’m so happy right now, I could play a banjo and grin.

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

nervous about tomorrow, but cautiously optimistic

cjv209 on November 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yeah but I’m afraid you all have written checks that your ass can’t cash.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I vote for “do.”

Bob's Kid on November 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Take Obama out of President.

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

“Even though I know I’ll be back to working the graveyard shift at the massage parlor come January, I’m still going to keep my brave face firmly attached.”

Bishop on November 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Women.

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

November 6, 2012: Chick-fil-A the Kenyan Day.

JPeterman on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

They know.

drunyan8315 on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m so happy right now, I could play a banjo and grin.

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

and tomorrow dems will be squealing like a pig. A symphony or cacophony.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

“My warning, we need to stay calm for much of the day,” Stephanie Cutter, Mr Obama’s deputy campaign manager, said, touting thousands of early ballots already submitted by voters. “We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.” …

so they’re worried about their supporters being upset…and rioting? Be calm for much of the day???? and if you lose? Riot…or stay calm..for the endless recounts where the last minute fraud can take place? (as opposed to the pre-vote fraud…and the shortly after the vote fraud)

r keller on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Heard this prediction – Obama will be ahead in the exit polls during the day, until the Republicans get out of work. Romney/Ryan 2012

LadyGator88 on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yeah but I’m afraid you all have written checks that your ass can’t cash.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Maybe this is what she means?

Report: Voting Machines in Battleground States Switching Romney Votes for Obama

sharrukin on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Cutter reminds supporters that President Obama has logged enough early votes

How do they know that?

Here in Florida, the early votes aren’t counted until tomorrow.

Lanceman on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

That actually sounds like the Democrats are worried.

sharrukin on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

To hear it through that thick shell implies a scream in there somewhere. :) In the vernacular of my people, that sounds more like “scared s***less” than worried.

Maybe not. Might be wishful thinking. Need to see if her foot’s tapping incessantly to be sure.

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Let’s see if this works.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Cutter always says somethong completely misleading to the benefit of Obama

When she is pleading to not be discouraged, you know they are in trouble

audiotom on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

This is the official proof that the Obama campaign discouraged the riots that will inevitably happen.

nitzsche on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Just a flesh wound.

hawkdriver on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I got nervous when while out for a walk with my wife, we came across an OFA working knocking on doors to harass people that haven’t voted yet. She had maps with the voter rolls showing who had not voted yet. Creeped me out a bit that they have access to that information.

BioTeachEd on November 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

usedtobeinmich on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Depends how strong your stomach is. I fully expect the MSDNC dolts to commit seppuku one-by-one live on stage as the results roll in, Matthews being the last and the messiest.

Bishop on November 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Let’s see if this works.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Why you passive-aggressive so and so. That’s just divisive and mean.

hawkdriver on November 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

If it was any other Republican candidate, I would be beside myself with worry, but if we have any chance of restoring America, I think it will be with Mitt Romney. He’s a good man. Godspeed.

BettyRuth on November 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Cutter’s request is odd. I would think exit polls would favor Obama more than actual votes. They favored Kerry in 2004.

Perhaps they expect things to be really ugly for them tomorrow?

WannabeAnglican on November 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

A symphony or cacophony.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Choosing the interpretation would require the eye of the beholder. :) I’d dance to it.

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

All is well! Remain calm!

awck on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Poor, poor Steph will be out of work come Wednesday.

Any ideas for her search?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The stout-hearted Manly Rash promised ~in these same comments back in 2008~ that if McCain lost to Obama he would stop posting on Hot Air.

Time for someone to issue the same promise in this election, so I will uphold his stirring tradition.

I swear that if Romney does not win the election I , by the beard of the profit, will stop posting on Hot Air.

I am that confident of an Obama loss.

So Go Mitt!

Begone Barack!

And wish me luck, Manly!

profitsbeard on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Wigglesworth on November 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

…it may take them a while…to see exactly where those will be needed!

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Love the trollcott.
By the way, we got this.

rob verdi on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Cutter knows they are in trouble. The early vote totals aren’t nearly what they need to overcome the Election Day vote that Romney will accumulate. I’m here in Ohio and Romney will win Election Day by at least 6% or roughly 240,000 votes. Obama might have 100,000 banked if he is lucky.

Ta111 on November 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Cutter: Remain calm, and don’t let tomorrow’s early tallies get you down, we’re gonna keep cheatin our butts off till even MSNBC calls it for Mitt…

RalphyBoy on November 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

her warning? Wha??? what does this mean

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Hmmmmmm. This sure sounds like they are expecting the exit polls to be bad for them. And keep in mind exit polls are considerably more favorable to Dems. Even in 2008, they predicted Obama would win by 11, he won by 6.7%, and we already know the joke the 2004 exit polls were.

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Maybe she is worried the early voting tallies will include a lot of the military vote?

sharrukin on November 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Yeah but I’m afraid you all have written checks that your ass can’t cash.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hmmmm….without having seen the body part in question, I am withholding judgement.

cozmo on November 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Ok I need to be around like-minded people. Mr Fisted believes Obama will win and I need to be calm. There isn’t a doubt in his mind. Arrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!”!!!

CrimsonFisted on November 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

A guy at my husband’s office said he really didn’t want to vote because he didn’t like either candidate, but feels that now he must vote for Romney because it is so close. We live in Texas…it is not close here. I am hoping this poll manipulation by the MSMs and polling companies backfires big time by juicing GOP voters who might not be sold on Romney but want Obama gone.

txmomof6 on November 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Poor, poor Steph will be out of work come Wednesday.

Any ideas for her search?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

…prostitution is still legal in Nevada…Maybe Harry Reid can get her into the Mustang Ranch or something.

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Please. Pathetic attempt at a head fake: Cutter knows damned well that the early exit results will be heavily pro-Obama. He’s strong in the Eastern time zone, morning exit polls tilt Democratic because Democrats tend not to have jobs, exit polling overall always has a Democratic tilt because of the human element in interviewing, and these days absentee and early ballots get scanned and counted during the day so the earliest official results will include the early vote that Democrats so obsessively try to maximize.

So tomorrow afternoon, Axelrod will blow his conch shell and all the Obama surrogates and trolls will hit the airwaves and Internet talking about how Obama’s profoundly overperforming, how they were braced for an early deficit but instead are surging, how Pennsylvania will be called for Obama any minute now, how their totals are sure to increase once the so-very-time-consuming process of counting the early vote begins, blah blah blah.

Like everything these people say, it’s all a pack of lies, a phantasm deliberately constructed to manipulate you. Just tune them out.

Fabozz on November 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

How do they know that?

Here in Florida, the early votes aren’t counted until tomorrow.

Lanceman on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yep. That has been my question all along. Their “banked” votes are from polling, not from counted votes.

oldroy on November 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

“Keep calm and tweet on,” Ms. Cutter said. “So, no matter what you hear tomorrow about turnout in Republican counties or exit polls . . .

A classic “tell”. She forgot to remind everyone to bring those “necessities” for a “not-so-fresh” day.

smellthecoffee on November 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

“We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.” …

Holy crap.

That’s an admission the Romney/Rove info is correct, even though Plouffe, Axelrod and Messina were denying it all weekend.

Souls To The Polls must have really flatlined.

I know it did well in Cuyahoga, but it doesn’t appear to have shown in Columbus or Cincy.

Wow. Their internals for Earlies must be interesting…

budfox on November 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Bishop on November 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Am I a bad person for thinking I’d truly, deeply enjoy that?

Midas on November 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Perhaps they expect things to be really ugly for them tomorrow?

WannabeAnglican on November 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Well her logic, whether she believes it or not, is that they’ve used a lot of their base on early voting and those won’t come in till after the polls open and exit polls start being analyzed. If the majority of people at the polls are voting for Mitt, it would initially bode badly in appearance. (If she really believes the early voters will be such a late night come back)

hawkdriver on November 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

her warning? Wha??? what does this mean

ted c on November 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Sounds to me as though she’s telling their peeps not to riot – after they’ve whipped them into a hate-filled frenzy.

Code………….

Cody1991 on November 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Remain calm!!! All is Well!!!

LOL!!!

patch on November 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Their “banked” votes are from polling, not from counted votes.

oldroy on November 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Nah – they’re “banked” in trunks, basements, janitor’s closets, etc.

Midas on November 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

It’s such a sad, sad state of affairs when the media is this far in the tank for the government. There really is no difference between the U.S. and Soviet Russia anymore.

KMC1 on November 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

TRANSLATION: Don’t riot until the fat lady sings.

Glenn Jericho on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Michelle is going to sing?

BobMbx on November 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

CrimsonFisted on November 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I know a good divorce lawyer.

JPeterman on November 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Nah – they’re “banked” in trunks, basements, janitor’s closets, etc.

Midas on November 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Ohhh…. now I get it.

oldroy on November 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.” …

I find it revealing that she used a code word from a game show called ‘The Weakest Link’.

BobMbx on November 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Glenn Jericho on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Michelle is going to sing?

BobMbx on November 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Michelle’s not fat. She’s just big boned-ed.

I wonder if they’re packed …

Axe on November 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Cutter: Remain calm, and don’t let tomorrow’s early tallies get you down

Heh! In 2004 Cutter and the rest of the Kerry critters were declaring victory based on early tallies. Bob Shrum opined- may I be the first to call you Mr. President? to NEVER PRESIDENT John Kerry.

Is Cutter being cautious or does she recognize the reality? The rat-eared wonder is going down.

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Let’s see if this works.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Racist!

1984 in real life on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Fabozz on November 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’d agree, but she just contradicted the weekend talk show narrative.

IMO, this was a under-the-radar message to the prog base.

“Don’t freak out on Twitter”, because IIRC, a story came out a few weeks ago where Team Barry has become very aware of Twitter memes forming.

In fact, they blame the Denver Debate on Twitter reactions.

budfox on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

TROLLCOT

MidniteRambler on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. I swear I am going to bound out of bed at 5:30 a.m. and try to be one of the first at my polling place. Thankfully, I will be in meetings all day and then will try to distract myself and stay away from TV until tomorrow night around 9 p.m. I can’t believe the day is finally here!!!!!!

In 2008 I pulled the lever for McCain simply to vote against Obama. This year I am proud to say I am wholeheartedly without hesitation voting FOR Mitt Romney!

Nikkia2112 on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

So, if the dems are saying “don’t panic,” then it’s good news for us repubs.

Othniel on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Upthread someone mentioned the lib networks melting down. I wonder what Christina Matthews will do since he no feel tingle up his leg. Will he bleed out his anus?

Whatever, it should be fun.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Ahhhhh, how sweet the smell of lib fear wafting through the night.

*clink*

petefrt on November 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Tim Zank on November 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

This conservative will be in line when the polls open and then go off to work. I want the enemy to be daunted by the early voters.

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Whatever, it should be fun.

arnold ziffel on November 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

He will tell us that it is unconstitutional to vote for the American.

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

My guess is that a lot of employers will let their workers have a little time off to vote on this one.

MechanicalBill on November 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Read this and weep, Cutter:

onlineanalyst on November 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

He will tell us that it is unconstitutional to vote for the American.

Electrongod on November 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Nah, dante already has that avenue covered.

cozmo on November 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Chip Diller is here!..:)

Dire Straits on November 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

In 2008 Obama was campaigning on election day. Romney is doing that this year. Obama is playing basketball in Chicago.

Writing is on the wall, if you take the time to read it.

1984 in real life on November 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I just keep playing game after game of solitaire.

Cindy Munford on November 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Nikkia2112 on November 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Ditto here except I’m probably going to be in line at the polling place at 5:30am.

Happy Nomad on November 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

That’s a good sign! Dems are expecting bad news from early voting. Their internals are getting worse by the day, is my guess. They probably are taking into account the angry Obama voters from 08 changing to Romney!
The Fight against the Obama Enemy media continues: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on November 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Perhaps they expect things to be really ugly for them tomorrow?

WannabeAnglican on November 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

This. And at what point does the dam break and the truth become obvious… that is my only question.

UnderstandingisPower on November 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Ah reckon we’ve jess seen Mizz Cutter’s tell.

ElectricPhase on November 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

“We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.”

Bags of ballots strategically placed in trunks of cars, ready to deploy to wherever they’re needed in case of a recount.

malclave on November 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Romney pollster says 6 states within 2 pts/margin of error.

Zaggs on November 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

You know, under other circumstances I might think Cutter is an attractive woman. It’s amazing how liberalism’s inherent bitterness destroys people.

AubieJon on November 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

UnderstandingisPower on November 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

They will keep up the facade until about 8:35pm eastern.

cozmo on November 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

“We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.” …

If I were an Obama supporter, this, in itself, would be depressing.

Dusty on November 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

what do you mean?

It is not going to be a 3% landslide as you claimed to have had in 2008 with an astonishing amazing large mandate of 53% of the voters?

You mean the turnout for Obama will not be the 11+% as CNN is using to pump him up to the same level as Romney? You mean there may be less dems voting?

WHY DO YOU SAY DONT PANIC?

huntingmoose on November 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

“No I am not scared and neither should you be!”

—Baghdad Bob

claudius on November 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’m really optimistic about our chances. Something in Peggy Noonan’s column struck me as right on the mark. I’ve been saying for the last few months that there is something weird going on here in OIHO. I suspect she may be right and we’re looking at the paper (polls) and missing the signs right in front of us.

buckichick1 on November 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

…NO POLL TROLL…!!!
T R O L L C O T T

everybody else is fine!…you have to have some fun the next couple of days!…I think we’ll be seeing brain tissue on computer screens and in between the keys on their keyboards!

KOOLAID2 on November 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

They know they’re doomed.

wargamer6 on November 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Jump. Just end it.

It’s the only way, libs.

RedNewEnglander on November 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Sounds like the Dem’s internal polls don’t look so good. Unlike the national polls with Dem + over sampling it tells a different story.

I hope they get their panties in a wade big time.

plutorocks on November 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

They’re trying to manage expectations. I suspect that they will try to legitimize Romney if he wins.

ghostwriter on November 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

DONT PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Poor, poor Steph will be out of work come Wednesday.

Any ideas for her search?

faraway on November 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

No she won’t. As long as there are gentlemen’s clubs, she can always go back to the poles and the laps.

Meanwhile, tomorrow we’ll be doing our dancing, “Humpbot Style.”

TXUS on November 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Panic is what is left.

Bmore on November 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

nitzsche on November 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Of course. Any riots will no doubt be spontaneous protests caused by a YouTube video, or something.

malclave on November 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I hope they get their panties in a wade big time.

plutorocks on November 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I was just watching Kirsten Powers on Fox. Many of the Dems that are supposedly in the know really believe that they have the electoral advantage that we’ve been seeing in a lot of the public polling. They really believe it. I think that tomorrow is going to be a real eye opener for them… or us…

ghostwriter on November 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Something to be warned about!

Glen Beck’s site has a story about a leak out of Chicago that team O is planning on calling victory well early to discourage Romney voters.

JellyToast on November 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM