Quotes of the day

posted at 9:01 pm on November 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

Four years ago, the Daily News endorsed Obama, seeing a historic figure whose intelligence, political skills and empathy with common folk positioned him to build on the small practical experience he would bring to the world’s toughest job. We valued Obama’s pledge to govern with bold pragmatism and bipartisanship.

The hopes of those days went unfulfilled…

The presidential imperative of the times is to energize the economy and get deficits under control to empower the working and middle classes to again enjoy the fruits of an ascendant America.

So The News is compelled to stand with Romney.

***

Obama is the president. The buck stops with him. This is now Obama’s economy, even though the GOP shares in the blame for partisan games.

It was Obama and his fellow Democrats who went it alone on health care, making subsequent deals even harder to find. It was Obama who too often let Congress steer the ship in circles. It still is Obama who hasn’t laid out a clear vision for the next four years.

We endorsed Obama for change last time around. Now we’re endorsing change again: Mitt Romney.

***

Last week, I noticed this blog comment: “Romney was not my first, second, or third choice, but I will crawl over ground glass to vote for him.”

A lot of Republicans — and, judging from polls, a lot of independents — feel this way. If there are enough of them, Romney will win, and win big.

Are there? Well, there are some signs. I’ve written here before that politics is all about showing up. And in recent months, people on the Right have been doing a lot of showing up. They’ve showed up at Romney-Ryan events in unprecedented numbers. They made Dinesh D’Souza’s “2016: Obama’s America” a huge hit despite a virtual blackout from traditional media. They stood in line for hours at Chick-fil-A restaurants to buy chicken sandwiches in response to politicians’ bullying. They packed houses at the “Hating Breitbart” premiere.

Will they now pack the voting booths and vote for Romney, and against Obama, in similarly unprecedented numbers? If they do, Romney will win in a landslide.

***

The 76-year-old retiree was a Hillary Clinton supporter in 2008, but volunteered for Barack Obama when he became the nominee. He’s been doing the same for the Democratic president’s campaign since March, door-knocking and phone-banking throughout Ohio, repeating shifts from the late morning until the evening, when it’s too dark to see outside.

Can the Democrat put his finger on the difference in energy in 2012?

“It’s hard to quantify, but there is significantly less enthusiasm,” said Roan. “I think there’s sort of grim determination on the part of some people, more than enthusiasm. … And it shows up in our volunteers. … We don’t have the number of young people volunteering like we did last time.”

***

Already our government redistributes too much from the young to the old, from working families to retirees, from productive entrepreneurs to protected clients. To accede to this government’s permanent expansion is to walk, with eyes wide open, into the kind of economic and demographic trap that has ensnared the weaker economies of Europe today.

President Obama did not single-handedly put us on this path. But he has kept us on it, accelerated our progress down it, and campaigned for re-election as though taking this course had no downsides whatsoever. He’s the candidate of the Medicare status quo in a country facing an entitlement crunch, of government bailouts in an economy with a crony capitalism problem, and of contraceptive mandates in a society with a birth dearth.

For an incumbent president facing a mistrusted opposition party, this may prove a formula for a narrow electoral victory. But for the country that might vote to re-elect him, it risks four more years of drift, stagnation and decline.

***

I don’t know whether Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan can fix things, but I do know that Barack Obama and Joe Biden won’t even try — and that therefore a vote for Obama is a vote for the certainty of national collapse. Look at Lower Manhattan in the dark, and try to imagine what America might look like after the rest of the planet decides it no longer needs the dollar as global reserve currency. For four years, we have had a president who can spend everything but build nothing. Nothing but debt, dependency, and decay. As I said at the beginning, in different ways the response to Hurricane Sandy and Benghazi exemplify the fundamental unseriousness of the superpower at twilight. Whether or not to get serious is the choice facing the electorate on Tuesday.

***

Via Breitbart.

***

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 12

Right on time..

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

President elect Mitt Romney

tom daschle concerned on November 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What is it???

TrollCot??

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

One and done!

ConcealedKerry on November 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

My wife just decided to vote Romney…Yay.

tomas on November 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

KOOLAID2

angrymike on November 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

217 321 George WIll prediction?

Wow. Inside information is making these guys bold in their predictions maybe?

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Bishop+6

gh on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’d prefer a Mitt blowout, but if I can’t have that, I’m rooting for Mitt to lose OH and win PA.

If he clinches by circumventing Obama’s Bailout Firewall completely, I’ll laugh so hard my monocle will fall off and hit the gay man or the minority I’m oppressing under my boot heel. Either/or.

HitNRun on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Trollcott!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Two more days! Feeling good.

And remember George Will back in January was saying that there was no way to beat Obama & the GOP should just concentrate on Congressional races– BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dark Star on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

President elect Mitt Romney

tom daschle concerned on November 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Former President Barry Hussein 0bama

Brat on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

40 minutes
Our CiC is tuckered out after 40 minutes..

Our bravest can do 200 push ups in that time..

RIP Ty Woods

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Allah.

Please get rid of the autoplay video …

gh on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Guess I lost my touch……;(

angrymike on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Former President Barry Hussein 0bama

Brat on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Even Better!

tom daschle concerned on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

My wife just decided to vote Romney…Yay.

tomas on November 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

*clink*

And thank her for me…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

T R O L L
F R E E
N I G H T…!!!

…make it happen!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I just saw the pics of Romney in Yardley, PA (where I used to live). GWB spoke in the same area in 2004 and won Bucks that election. If Romney wins Bucks and Montgomery, he wins PA. If he wins Chester and Delaware, that’s a bonus.

Philly on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

TROLLCOTT!!!!

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

What the who, who,

Who the who, who …

LOL Axelrod win or lose is stammering like his boss. Must be contagious.

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Re-posted from Gillespie thread:

Latest poll from CNN.

It has Obama and Romney tied at 49%. Noe for the insanely stupid from this poll.

“Among those likely voters, 41% described themselves as Democrats, 29% described themselves as Independents, and 30% described themselves as Republicans.”

D+11!!!!!!!

=============Total=Dem.==Ind.==Rep.
=============—–=—–=—–=—–
Obama,Biden==49%===93%===37%===1%
Romney,Ryan==49%===5%====59%===99%

There is no doubt in my mind they cooked the books on this poll after seeing Romney up by 22 points among independents. D+11? Really??

Readjusting for an R+2.8 turnout (my current model adjustment until Rasmussen updates its party identification page) it becomes 55.5 to 42.6, Romney. I think that is too optimistic. I think this CNN poll is just plain garbage from top to bottom.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

This is crap, I was watching the Panthers/Skins game recap.

I’m calling my union rep and someone is going to get a late-night visit.

Bishop on November 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

T R O L L
F R E E
N I G H T…!!!

…make it happen!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

It will happen…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

my husband and I are watching all the election stuff on FOX, and we just looked at each other and wondered how this can possibly even be a race? I just don’t know what anyone, other than cousin Pookie, can find even remotely appealing about Obama.

BettyRuth on November 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Hold on to the ball ’til the ref signals TOUCHDOWN!

Let’s finish this!

HoustonRight on November 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

George Will. The man that makes AP look like Pollyanna just said Romney will win big?

Good think I was sitting down or I would have fallen down.

gophergirl on November 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I think we will know the winner 48 hours from now!! Go Mitt!!

txmomof6 on November 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

MSM, “fact checkers” and now pollsters. A lot of credibility lost this year.

John the Libertarian on November 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

New CNN poll has Romney +22 with indies….

That points to a Romney landslide.

Norwegian on November 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

LOL, Obama bought ads on Hot Air. Narrated by Chelle. Considering this and the quality of trolls they’ve hired here, they really are throwing their money away.

Refresh, Listen, Repeat.

HotAir, do they pay by the start of the ad or do we have to listen to the whole thing to soak them for some campaign ad bucks?

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

217 321 George WIll prediction?

Wow. Inside information is making these guys bold in their predictions maybe?

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

You’ll know for sure if Lip Gloss Dave Brooks pens an article tomorrow extolling the virtues of Rombo and adding “Let me just say that I never really did like Bark Obama”.

Bishop on November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

R@R Blitzkriegy-lets Roll………………….

canopfor on November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

angrymike on November 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

…dude!…you aren’t here enough!…between your car and your blog…the wominz here at Hot Air miss you!…(but then…I’d miss those girls in your blog!…*sigh*)

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Tuesday will be sweet.

Can’t wait.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Obama is going to lose.

I was at dinner tonight Portland, and the election was the topic at many tables. The libs are past freaking out. They are in full on acceptance mode. Many are discussing the Obama administration in the past tense. They are gearing up for atleast 4 years of Romney.

I just drank my white Russian and smiled.

portlandon on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I’m pretty enthusiastic. I don’t think I could get much more enthusiastic. I plan to be at the polls before they open on Tuesday and I’m picking up people on the way and giving them a ride, too.

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Just a couple more days Ladies and Gentlemen…

… Let us finish this!

*clinky!*

Seven Percent Solution on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Redskins lost today — superstition says in the game the weekend before the election if they lose, the incumbent lose; if they win, the incumbent wins (has happened like that in 18 of 19 last elections).

Also, GOP has never lost a Presidential election when election day fell on Nov. 6th (has happened 6 times in the past).

Plus, Obama really, really s*cks.

Dark Star on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Philly on November 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Links?

txmomof6 on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

We are gonna win!

KCB on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Former President Barry Hussein 0bama

Brat on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Gitmo Inmate # 786 Odinga Hussein XI

burrata on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

TROLLCOTT!!!!

ok what is it ????

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Okay, you have to restart three times to get rid of Chelle.

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

There’s a new USA Today/Gallup swing state poll out tonight. You can look at it here

It’s all tied up, 48-48, but the D/R/I is 37/29/34, D+8. The write-up I saw didn’t say it, but apparently Mitt is way up with Independents to be tied at 48 in this poll. The write-up also said that enthusiasm was about even.

TarheelBen on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I’ll spring for a bus!

HoustonRight on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

gophergirl on November 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

GG, was Ryan’s mom there with the family today? Her story inspires a lot of people.

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I just drank my white Russian and smiled.

portlandon on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

sweet.

CoffeeLover on November 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Plus, Obama really, really s*cks.

Dark Star on November 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

+1000

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Obama is going to lose.

I just drank my white Russian and smiled.

portlandon on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I was North of Seattle last month..

I was driving on Camino Island…where I graduated HS.

6 foot signs with Romney/Ryan on their front lawn…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

HitNRun on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

That would be so so sweet. These effers are too smart by half and I am concerned about Ohio. If PA and/or MI go for Romney I’ll how do they say it—rofflol?

arnold ziffel on November 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

davidk endorses R2/012.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I love that Americas Future Fund Ad. Good on ya Conservative women.

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Trollcott is now fully armed and operational.

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

HoustonRight on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

No need, but I appreciate the offer! A group of us got together and volunteered to give rides to people who might not otherwise be able to make it. It’s going to be a regular convoy!

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I love that line…

Tim Zank on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Bishop on November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I kind of think it will be more along the lines of Romney’s “pant’s crease” and the “exquisitely dimpled necktie” that’ll do it for him.

TXUS on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Nope just Janna and the kids. One of his sons is really shy – the young blonde one is a crowd ham. So cute.

gophergirl on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

(but then…I’d miss those girls in your blog!…*sigh*)

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Me too!

KCB on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I was just thinking that four years ago, I was making the same excuses that the Democrats are making today. Interesting.

joekenha on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Awesome Jackie!

I early voted & took the day off on Tuesday & will be driving people to the polls all day. I’ve phone banked in the past for different elections (state, local, national) but I’ve *never* taken a day off of work to drive people to the polls before!

Dark Star on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Another Great Ad by the Romney/Ryan Team

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

TarheelBen on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Every single one of these pollsters needs to be shamed after this election. D+8 is total crap, but only 29% Republican in their internal? 3 points less than 2008? This is going to be the most terrible polling of an election I’ve seen in my lifetime.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I’m not buying that democratic enthusiasm is even with ours. I believe the correct term for it is “panic”.

BettyRuth on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Even Better!

tom daschle concerned on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Both are music to the ears.

Brat on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I’m outta here. Not going to listen to George Will every time I refresh.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

THere is zero enthusiasm for the election at my union shop. Sure they wear the propaganda and believe their own bs, but they are not enthused.

tom daschle concerned on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Bishop on November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Davey Brooks. Do you remember how to speel pffft?

P-f-f-f-f-f-f-t.

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

KOOLAID2
I really really got sick of the trolls, but since there’s a TROLLCOTT, I’ll be around. I lurked, just couldn’t stand the petty jerks hangin around…….

angrymike on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Sweet!

You’re a great American. Thank you!

HoustonRight on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Markos Moulitas is extremely confident:

Romney camp talks losing because they’re losing

Now, all those Republicans who so certainly proclaimed a looming Romney landslide need to preserve some modicum of credibility. Maybe they’ll keep spinning nonsense about Sandy turning the tide, or maybe they’ll cut that out and zero in on Mitt Romney’s inadequacies as a candidate. They were legion, after all.

What’s delicious is that this loser talk is happening days before the election. They’re beat, they know it, and after weeks of pretending otherwise, they’re too exhausted to keep up the pretenses.

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

gophergirl on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Both the Ryan’s and the Romney’s have beautiful families. I get a little choked up when I see them together sometimes. They obviously care a great deal for one another. That photo you posted of Ann hugging Mitt at the podium the other day was one of those moments. :)

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

gophergirl on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

David Letterman will bone them up…

Sarc..

But it is true…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

BettyRuth on November 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

They keep using that “enthusiasm” word. I don’t think it means what they think it means.

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I am a nervous wreck waiting for this election.

Terrye on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Allah.

Please get rid of the autoplay video …

gh on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This +1000

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Don’t let them out of the car without threatening their life if they vote wrong. Sorry, we’re at war here, no time for sweetness and light.;-)

TXUS on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

If that poll were accurate, it would already be over, and we would have won. If Mitt Romney wins Indy’s by 22, it is over.

JohnGalt23 on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

HoustonRight on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

No need to thank me, at all! It’s my pleasure, believe me!

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

they’re too exhausted to keep up the pretenses.

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Priceless. Yeah, Romney sure looked exhausted in PA tonight!

John the Libertarian on November 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

GOP is all over Youtube on the official music videos…must piss off the kids

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

We are coming to take our country back. And then we are coming for the legacy media. It all begins Tuesday…this is the beginning!

d1carter on November 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Someone on here said the lib/troll tears on this site “nourish and sustain us”. May we all live to 1000 after Tuesday.

msupertas on November 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Allah.

Please get rid of the autoplay video …

gh on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This +1000

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

FireFox with AdBlock…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

JohnGalt23 on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

No doubt.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

FireFox with AdBlock…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

To add…

I can hear a pin drop…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I like how these late polls are calling for a close race with D+4 thru D+8 splits. Gotta have election night ratings you know.

Being somewhat of an eeyore. I now BELIEVE…

Landslide

HoustonRight on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Trollcott is now fully armed and operational.

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

what the heck is this trollcott your talking about …
come on … I don’t go to every thread …

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

TXUS on November 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

This is Oklahoma, TXUS! I don’t hang out with people who might ‘vote the wrong way’! I surely wouldn’t take them to the polls! lol!

thatsafactjack on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Screw em as the man once said.

Terrye on November 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I don’t post much on HA, but I spend hours everyday lurking here. Just want to thank alot of the posters here for giving me hope that we can, and will win this thing, and there are people who share similar viewpoints to you. This website and a few others really have kept me sane during the dark days of 2009-11 and I think they’re finally about to be over.

Anyway..

There’s an interesting part about the 1980 election. Up until about 2 days before the vote, everyone saw the race as too close to call. Pat Caddell then supposedly saw a complete collapse of Carters internal numbers just a day before the election and he called Carter and told him it was over. He describes it as something like “the bottom falling out from under his support”. supposedly Jimmah started crying on the plane when he heard the news…haha

I also never realized what a douchebag Carter was after Reagan took officer and he always tried to undermine him, and was extremely bitter about losing.

After watching Fluffer, and Axlegreaseball today I am very, very convinced history is repeating itself. I hope Romney can be my generation’s Reagan, we need one.

1984 in real life on November 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I just drank my white Russian and smiled.

portlandon on November 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Left coast or right coast?

John the Libertarian on November 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

TROLLCOTT!!!!

ok what is it ????

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

…we are ALL boycotting trolls today and letting them fart in the wind!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Well, maybe not ground glass but I’d crawl over ground coffee, ground beef and groundhogs to vote on Tuesday.

Fallon on November 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

what the heck is this trollcott your talking about …
come on … I don’t go to every thread …

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

It means do not respond to trolls…shut them out.

Terrye on November 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

We are encouraging a “no engagement” policy on trolls.

novaculus on November 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

FireFox with AdBlock…

Electrongod on November 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Got to have that and AdBlock Plus to kill autoplay, the latter allowing you to kill any specific video you don’t want to open.

TXUS on November 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

what the heck is this trollcott your talking about …
come on … I don’t go to every thread …

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

We are ignoring the trolls since our host’s refuse to show them to the door.

TrollCott.

And Gumby should be showing up at any minute to tell us Romney is toast because of the CNN poll.

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

We are encouraging a “no engagement” policy on trolls.

novaculus on November 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Not even if the ring is a flawless 10 karats.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM

We made big signs with “smiley” faces and had planned to put them in yard on Tuesday — but may do it tomorrow just to make all our neighbors with their obama signs go crazy. Am so excited about voting. Did not want Romney during the primaries, but have become a ground glass voter. Obama is history.

msactionjackson on November 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM