Polls: Virtual ties in Michigan, Pennsylvania

posted at 11:01 am on November 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Two media polls out in normally safe Democratic states show the presidential race in considerable flux — and pundits with few touchstones for their final calls.  First we go to Pennsylvania, where Mitt Romney has made a last-minute personal push for a state that hasn’t gone Republican in 24 years — and the new poll from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review suggests he has a real shot at winning:

President Obama and Republican Mitt Romney entered the final days of the presidential race tied in a state that the campaigns only recently began contesting, a Tribune-Review poll shows.

The poll showed the race for Pennsylvania’s 20 electoral votes locked up at 47 percent in its final week. Romney was scheduled to campaign in the Philadelphia area on Sunday, and former President Bill Clinton planned to stump for Obama on Monday. The campaigns have begun to saturate the airwaves with millions of dollars in presidential advertising.

“They’re both in here because of exactly what you’re seeing” in this poll, said Jim Lee, president of Susquehanna Polling & Research, which surveyed 800 likely voters Oct. 29-31. Most of the interviews occurred after Hurricane Sandy inundated Eastern and Central Pennsylvania. The poll’s error margin is 3.46 percentage points.

The PTR didn’t release the poll internals, but Lee told me this week that the poll is D+7, 44/37/19.  SPR wanted to stick with one turnout model, and that closely resembles 2008′s electorate in PA.  This result matches very closely to yesterday’s SPR poll results on the Senate race in PA, also a virtual dead heat.

In Michigan, perhaps the results come as an even bigger surprise, where Obama figured to ride the auto bailouts to an easy victory.  A new poll from Foster McCollum White Baydoun of over 1900 likely voters has Romney ahead of Obama by less than one percent, 46.86%/46.24%.  The same pollster had Obama with nearly a 4-point lead before the first debate.  Also, this same poll shows Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow beating Pete Hoekstra rather easily, 50/43 — so it doesn’t appear to have a significant Republican tilt.

In fact, the sample is reasonably Democratic, although perhaps underrepresenting independents.  The D/R/I is 44/35/21; in 2008, 41/29/29, and no exit polling exists for 2010.  The poll did reweight in several categories to make up for deficiencies in demographics, as almost all pollsters do, but there are a couple of interesting points about the weighting, too.  After their initial sample only included 8% African-Americans, the pollster reweighted them to 17.5%. In 2008, though, this bloc only comprised 12% of the MI electorate.  At the same time, though, they appear to have overweighted seniors at the expense of middle-aged voters, but the two together look similar to 2008.

It looks like a surprise could be brewing in two Democratic states.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I want Mitt to be over 300, if even by 1, so that the recounts are meaningless. The rats will fight hard – they love their power and looting way more than they love the land.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Unless massive cheating happens…. which will precipitate basically a civil war, Mitt will be taking over 300 EVs, I am convinced.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

The path to the WH

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

In Michigan, perhaps the results come as an even bigger surprise, where Obama figured to ride the auto bailouts to an easy victory. A new poll from Foster McCollum White Baydoun of over 1900 likely voters has Romney ahead of Obama by less than one percent, 46.86%/46.24%. The same pollster had Obama with nearly a 4-point lead before the first debate. Also, this same poll shows Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow beating Pete Hoekstra rather easily, 50/43 — so it doesn’t appear to have a significant Republican tilt.

Been trying to get it out. Hoskstra is too familiar, and carries no punch with the public. Mich politics is basically a hereditary office, and Senatorships are rewarded for party loyalty, which is why our senators stink – in both inbred parties

Stabenow, embedded with every interest group and union, has been running a massive tv campaign against Republicans for half a year. The line: that the GOP is robbing Medicare, but she voted over and over to save Medicare. She isnt wasting time on Hoekstra but goes after the national GOP. Why even give the guy name recogniion? He has zero

Hoekstra ran one major lame ad with a short clip of Stabenow saying yes the DEM did cut Medicare. However, the clip was badly staged and IMHO looked suspect to anyone who does not know the whole story i.e. those who are still open to ads.

The Stabenow ads rubbed against the residual goodwill Romney has carried in Michigan since the McCain contest

Romney can’t run ads against a Senator, but ads could be run against Stabenow that included Romney clips about Medicare. It would help Romney under the mantle of helping Hoekstra.

They ought to use the convention clip of Clint Eastwood saying if someone doesn’t work out, it is ok to replace them. Many did not see it, and it has legs. Throw in the revenge vs vote for love of country clips. Close the ad without the snotty voice overs. The public hatred of the snide aside has maxed due to too many crooked ballot proposal ads

Romney has everything needed to appeal to Michigan. He could use some last minute ads

entagor on November 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

An incumbent President at 46% on Gallup’s final day of polling?

That’s what you call a one term President.

BradTank on November 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

In a heavily D+ 2008 model sample.

dogsoldier on November 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

May it be so.

On your personal challenges – sound advice – remain logical not emotional. Think it all through on your flight. It’s meant sincerely and with the best of intentions. No need to reply to this. No need to comment on it further.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the USCCB letter. Needs to be posted far and wide.

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I’m not catholic, but a lot of people in my extended family are. They are Obama voters. I have a question I can’t ask them. It seems to me that Catholic leaders were okay with and even encouraged the social justice and redistributive actions of the Obama regime until it affected them, which I find hypocritical. Is there any push back on that from those of you who don’t agree with your leaders on that?

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Success!!!! Drive them all to the polls!!! :)

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Early voting ended on Friday. They are asking us volunteers if we can stay and do driving on Tuesday.

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher

Rasmussen has a tie again at 49% as per Drudge, but Romney back up 9 w/ indies. Small improvements from immediate post-Sandy days.

@NumbersMuncher His sample is D39, R37, I24 with Mitt up 9 with independents. How does he get 49-49? I get 51-49 Mitt.

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher

@kesgardner Yeah that’s going to be a huge element. GOP typically gets more crossover votes. That + indies would be big for Romney.

Sean Trende ‏@SeanTrende

I think Akin will lose, but if there were ever a case for a Bradley-style Effect in polling, it would be the MO-Sen race.
Retweeted by NumbersMuncher

Resist We Much on November 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

May it be so.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Yep. Thanks. That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

is Nebraska a proportional EV state as opposed to ‘winner takes all’?

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

The former, along with Maine. They are the only two.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Still running D+2, D+3 and the like 48 hrs. before the election? So they’ve decided to ditch their credibility and play “too close to call”/”within margin of error”–anything to help their fluking messiah.

Nothing surpasses the love of leftists for their Dear Leader. Idolatrous, bootlicking cowards.

Remember Benghazi!
2 Days.

spiritof61 on November 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Gumby is like a dog that has been fed at the table too long and become a pest, and now needs to be put out in the yard.

Liam on November 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Retweeted by NumbersMuncher

Resist We Much on November 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Dang, after Obama, I really hate that witch.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Success!!!! Drive them all to the polls!!! :)

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Oh, so you’re knocking at doors to get the vote out on Tue…are you staying till Tue?

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Liam on November 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Couldn’t agree more. That’s how I feel about it. No feeding from me, that I know.

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Popping out of lurkerdom (Wow–three posts in two days–still a lurker though, I’ll explain…)

Anti-Control on November 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Not knowing what’s in Ed and Allah’s minds, I think the reason why they haven’t banned him is because he and the others serve as canaries in the coal mine. Let’s be honest, pokey’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer–personally, while I think some of his posts are made by a human, I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them come from a bot they basically say the same thing with slightly different wording. In any event, he’s not the most innovative or creative individual which is exactly what the OFA apparatus wants out of its employees/volunteers. They don’t want their campaign workers to think, they just want them to type–hence my bot comment. I think, the increasing stridency and number of posts is indicative of a campaign and campaign worker that is losing confidence. If OFA were more confident, we’d see less of pokey and his pals and they wouldn’t be so frantic in their posts.

As to why I lurk instead of post regularly. A few of the old timers who know me know that I used to be a relatively frequent poster. It’s just that a couple of years ago I was hospitalized with a heart condition and well, decided to take some time to reconnect with what was truly important: family, friends, my writing, spring and fall days, and just enjoying life. Also, I found myself falling into that quote from Neitzche:

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

I felt like I had stared a little too long into the abyss. I’m posting a bit more now because it election time, but after the election I’ll likely as not go back to strictly lurking.

Lurker Mode Back On

Matt Helm on November 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

hate to say it but in all honesty if they are voting or Obama then they are just pretneding to be catholic. Obama voted 3 times for infanticide, that makes him the worst of the worst. and the Catholic church has a Loooooooong history of voting for social reforms, the problem is that the priests etc are human therefore they are prone like most of us to errors in judgement , and like a lot of folks they dont always think things through and grasp the unintended consequences side of things. so yes you could call them hypocrites if you choose to , but in reality it was more along the lines of trying to be helpful to the masses without realizeing the consequences would get so bad

katee bayer on November 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Will decide by tonight. Over/out.

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Pennsylvania and American Catholics thus the term cafeteria catholics) go against the Bishop and the Pope and church doctrine all the time ( on some issues 90%) so why do you think they will listen to them about voting …

U2denver on November 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Well, they had scheduled a rally of “Catholics for Obama” at one of your universities, but only 45 people showed up so they decided to have a “group discussion” instead.

Even non-practicing Catholics recognize the abuse of religious freedom and the utter failure on every level of this peacock pretender.

Adjoran on November 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on November 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I do that too! It explains why I’m always a couple pages behind in comments, I guess.

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

God damn the fake media.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

That doesn’t even ring true. I would think Romney would be ashamed of a lot of the things that come out of Chrisie’s mouth.

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

My family and I are ok thanks,fortunately we had power restored quickly all things considered and I was not flooded but many many of my friends have not fared near as well. Its a real horrific sight seeing houses floated clean off their foundations and the rest simply devastated/flooded.

NY Conservative on November 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM

An Obama ad just aired here in the Philadelphia market during the out-of-town NFL games.

It was followed successively by 3 – count ‘em, 3 – Romney ads.

HitNRun on November 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

NY Conservative on November 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Where in NY are you? My kids live in Long Beach.

BeachBum on November 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Panthers up 11 on Redskins at the half.

kit9 on November 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Best Case Prediction:
Romney 54% 353 EVs (36 states, ME+1)
Obama 44% 185 EVs (CA,OR,WA,HI,IL,DC,MD,DE,NJ,NY,VT,CN,RI,ME+3)

Worst Case Prediction:
Romney 50% 281 EVs (29 states, ME+1)
Obama 48% 257 EVs (add NV,NM,CO,IA,MN,MI,PA to above)

I’m leaning strongly toward the first.

spiritof61 on November 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

A best case prediction should include California, Obama is not anywhere near as popular here as the Democrat and the Fifth Column Treasonous Media want you to believe.

SWalker on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Interesting you should say that…Largest diocese in the US is in LA and Gomez has been forceful in promoting the USCCB position…And Orange County just got a Bishop from Ft. Worth Texas (great guy btw…Texas sad to lose him but we’re glad he’s going to CA)

So who knows?…Lots of catholics hearing the bishops at every mass for months. Jobs & Family just might count there.

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

He was perm-banned once before under the handle DeathToMediaHacks. A perma-ban should be, well, a perma-ban.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

If someone banned is permitted to return under a different handle there is no point in banning anyone.

If a ban means nothing why bother banning anyone? May as well let HA become troll heaven.

farsighted on November 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

It was followed successively by 3 – count ‘em, 3 – Romney ads.

HitNRun on November 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Close…Close…Close

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

We need to work on the Senate races. Make sure friends and family understand that we need a Republican Senate majority. Show them the Reid quote. Show them that the Dems will attempt to block the will of the American people.

If they want change, they need to fire their Senate Dems as well. Then we can put Reid in the corner where he can’t do anymore damage to the country.

Missouri, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Montana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Virginia – this means YOU.

We need 51.

goflyers on November 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

U2denver on November 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

That doesn’t matter in this election…The Bishops have said they will shutdown the Catholic Schools,Charities & Hospitals within 2 years if Obamacare is not repealed.

They can and will do it allover the country and have united together in this cause.

Liberal and Conservative Catholics want to keep the Catholic Institutions.

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

As my final observation of Mitt’s campaign, I have to say that win or lose, he has run one of the most efficient and flawless campaigns of any Republican candidate that I can remember. It ran with the same intelligent, brutal efficiency that we saw in the primaries as he bulldozed over Newt and Santorum. He doesn’t make mistakes. He has a plan. He prepares. He adapts. He uses his resources wisely. It really is like watching a top notch CEO in action, just as you would expect.

tkyang99 on November 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You are absolutely correct: some of the bishops were very hypocritical about the social justice/redistribution crap until they all were jolted into realizing that Obama was going to screw them over by not providing any exceptions in the HHS mandates to the Church’s health care hospitals, clinics and other services. Obama’s position was pretty clear to us average Catholics in the pews — he was basically saying that he didn’t care (because he really doesn’t) that every one of those hospitals and clinics would have to shut down if they didn’t follow the Obamacare mandates, but I think some of the bishops thought they could play both sides of the fence with him.

That doesn’t excuse those bishops’ actions, of course, but pretty soon afterward, there was significant pushback, not only from ordinary parishoners, but from pretty well-known columnists, such as George Weigel and Kathryn Lopez at National Review and Elizabeth Scalia at First Things, the national president of the Knights of Columbus, and many priests and nuns who spelled out exactly what the HHS mandate meant for Catholics and by extension, all Americans, in this violation of the First Amendment. And God bless Bishop Daniel Jankey of Peoria — he continues to be very vocal and very much on the front lines of being critical of Obamacare: Peoria bishop urges ‘heroic Catholicism.’ I think that many of the bishops got quite an earful after this came to light.

My own opinion about these so-called “peace and justice” Catholics is that they can’t leave the Church soon enough for me. They are the last vestiges of yet another aspect of 60s radicalism that infiltrated the Church, but their numbers are dwindling year by year. They are being replaced by bishops and priests who are faithful to the Magisterium (official teaching authority) of the Church and adhere especially to the leadership of the late Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI and are slowly bringing the Church back to its traditional teachings.

I also have some Catholic in-laws and friends in my parish who voted for Obama in 2008. I really don’t get their motivations at all. To me, it’s a no-brainer that if a person is a Catholic, there is no moral way to be a Democrat as well, but I don’t know how some Catholic Dems reconcile that in their minds. All I can conclude is that they either don’t think about it at all, are bound by some kind of strange loyalty to what the Democrat Party stood for 50 years ago, or they’re too given over to self-interest (think free stuff from the government that they don’t consider comes out of their paycheck also). But whatever it is, it’s clear that their Catholicism is a very distant second, and that’s a real pity.

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

is Nebraska a proportional EV state as opposed to ‘winner takes all’?

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

The former, along with Maine. They are the only two.

Schadenfreude on November 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

District two was gerrymandered to include heavy red Papillion and other parts of Sarpy County in 2011. No way 0bama gets his one electoral vote this time…

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

SWalker on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Even with the San Diego newspaper endorsing Romney today (not a surprise), CA is far far too gone to ever go Republican for President. I like your optimism, but there are too many people here that want to keep Obama in president, you know.

oceansidecon on November 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Liam on November 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

What’s wrong with the “farm”? Isn’t that where problem pets go?

arnold ziffel on November 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Good, it might be the one EV that decides the election:)..

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

And Romney continues to not lead in any national poll…

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher
Pew nat’l poll has Obama up 48-45. Sample is D+4. Last sample was D+1 with a tie – moved 3 to Ds, O moved 3. Pew has large Dem house effect.

gumbyandpokey on November 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

tkyang99 on November 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Very thoughtful post!!

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Good, it might be the one EV that decides the election:)..

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Yeah, they had three ACORN offices here in 2008…

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Remember, guys and gals, TROLLCOT!!!! For your peace of mind, don’t feed the worms!!

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Trollcot

BeachBum on November 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Is Gallup projecting a + 3 R turnout?

Conservative4ev on November 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ask them to explain the Catholic principal of subsidiarity.

I they can’t do that send them this which is the church teaching on subsidiarity that is foundational to church governance & liturgy since apostolic times (adopted by our constitutional founders as a secular model for our constitutional republic)

Catholic Social Teaching has been hijacked by liberals since before Vatican II…But Conservatives under JPII and especially Benedict XVI have been correcting the liberal distortions (Pope Benedict XVI, a formidable theologian cut his teeth battling the heresy of “Liberation Theology” when he was Cardinal Ratzinger…and why he was elected Pope after JPII died) Despite the usual media representation, Pope Benedict XVI is as popular a pope as JPII, especially with the youth.

He is popular because he is a formidable theologian, he is conservative, and he is continuing ecumenism in a conservative fashion not a liberal one.

He has basically said Better a smaller church with liturgical clarity than a larger confused church.

Conservatism in the Catholic Church is roaring back and is fueled by Anglican converts & young Catholics…

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Dominus exaudi orationem nostram!

Vive Petra nostra

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Dominus exaudi orationem nostram!

Vive Petra nostra

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

A most heartfelt amen!

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Again, thanks for the YouTube link. I am sending it to my errant Catholic friends and in-laws.

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Trollcot.

Adjoran on November 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

katee bayer on November 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Thank you all for your answers! And thank you for taking my question in the spirit in which it was intended. I was kind of nervous. Even though I’m not Catholic, I like to watch EWTN, and your explanations clear up why I don’t see much of that “60′s” attitude there.

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

NATE SILVER WALKBACK:

If Romney wins PV by 1% he has 70% chance of winning.

Well duh.

mitchellvii on November 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I predict a 83.7% chance of rain tomorrow unless there aren’t very many clouds and then I predict a 70% chance of a sunny day. I also predict the coin will land on heads, unless it lands on tails.

VorDaj on November 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Liberal and Conservative Catholics want to keep the Catholic Institutions.

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Oh what a disgrace if such a despicable and base man, who hates America and it’s constitution and all Christians, and worships himself, should be allowed to assault a people which has the faith of omnipotent God! With what reproaches will the Lord overwhelm us if we do not promptly and fully aid those who’s conscience is being brutalized and murdered because they profess the Catholic religion! Let those who have been accustomed unjustly to wage private warfare against other of the faithful now all unite and go against the tyrant in a Holy Crusade and end with total victory in November!

Let those who have been in service of this tyrant against their own brothers and sisters now fight in a proper way against this tyrant. Let those who have been wearing themselves out in both body and soul in vain attempt to appease him now labor for glorious honor against him. Behold! On the one side will be the completely destroyed tyrant, on the other the fierce and righteous protectors of the Constitution and Christianity. On the one side will be the destroyed enemy of the Lord and the Constitution, on the other, their friends who will shout at the tyrant as they destroy him in November, “It is for the Founding Fathers!”, “It is for the Founding Fathers!, and “Deus vult! Deus vult! Deus vult!”

RasThavas on November 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

no worries hun. as long as your not bashing us we tend to respond well ~winks~

katee bayer on November 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

You are quite welcome.

I’m of the belief that one of the reasons EWTN became a reality in the first place was to combat the extreme liberalism that had infiltrated the Catholic Church in the United States. Mother Angelica was and is the real catalyst behind the channel being the force it is today. Not surprisingly, she does not like, and generally deplores, Catholic feminists, which is an additional plague upon the Church in the U.S.

If you are interested, look up her book: Mother Angelica’s Answers, Not Promises. I have it myself, and not only does it present the truths of Catholicism in a simple, easy-to-understand way, but Mother Angelica has a great sense of humor. I first borrowed her book from a library, and as I was paging through it there, I almost had to be picked up off the floor, I was laughing so hard at her insights.

I also have her biography, Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles, which is also excellent and worth reading. She recounts the story of how EWTN came to be in both books.

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Thanks!

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Redskins LOSE

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

You are quite welcome.

God bless!

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM

O’bamna gets a coveted endorsement:

Team Obama must be sighing in collective relief this weekend. Pee Wee Herman, the alter ego of actor Paul Reubens, has endorsed President Barack Obama in a typically colorful column over at The Huffington Post.

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

ATOMIC!

Get Candy Crowley warmed up, this one is over.

cozmo on November 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

katee bayer on November 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Truth is Catholics have made huge inroads in terms of cultural respect for other religions, and that was a positive trend from Vatican II…

But bottom line the liberals after Vatican II went too far.

They relaxed Seminarian, practice & instruction which opened the gates for lower standards,political infighting and the priest scandals…

They have exploited Vatican II to push a liberal political agenda that divided Catholics.

They have tried to usurp the authority of the Bishop of Rome by distorting our foundation of subsidiarity.

They have spent years making Catholics feel confused and ashamed for our very catholicity…This is what binds us together as the Body of Christ…
example : Latin was the language used at Mass that bound us together so that at any mass in the world a Catholic could participate & understand the Mass. In my childhood every catholic knew church latin. When liberals lowered the seminary standards the american seminarians who didn’t attend catholic schools balked at learning higher Latin (All Catholic HS students had a foundation in higher Latin)
When they did this they changed the liturgy…and then they changed the customs…and then they tried to change the nature of the sacraments.

What binds Catholics together is the relationship of these ancient elements…Scripture/Tradition, Sacraments, Teaching Authority of the Rock (Bishop of Rome), Subsidiarity,Universal liturgy understood through universal language,practice and teaching balanced with cultural customs if these customs don’t conflict with the authority of Rome to confuse Catholics.

(This was the mistake of the heresy of Liberation Theology that spread in Latin America)

In short The Liberals tried to make the Roman Catholic Church a quazi american protestantish political church in liturgy and practice to undermine the authority of Rome in order to push a liberal agenda and have failed…

Let Protestants be Protestants & Let Catholics be Catholics…They are different and that’s OK cause we can still learn from each other without muddying up Liturgy.

The Roman Catholic Church is not an American Church…It is a Global Church and our Rock resides in Rome.

Conservatives are roaring back with younger Catholics demanding clarity,protestant converts who hunger for our traditions,traditional catholics,Vat II lapsed catholics who are returning to the church and they are pushing for a return to our universal Catholicity.

Pope Benedict XVI has been reforming the seminaries and has drawn a line in the sand with Liberal Catholic Institutions. He is appointing conservative Bishops,Archbishops, and Cardinals. He has reached out to Catholic Bloggers and he is restoring our faith with clarity as a good shepherd does.

This is who we are…The Church Militant

This is from Catholics come home…to remind lapsed catholics to come home…

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Get Candy Crowley warmed up, this one is over.

cozmo on November 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

She mistakenly called Mitt “President Romney” earlier today.

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Get Candy Crowley warmed up, this one is over.

cozmo on November 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

She mistakenly called Mitt “President Romney” earlier today.

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

…and Governor Romney immediately jumped up and said “What was that again Candy, could you say that one more time a little louder Candy…”

slickwillie2001 on November 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Liberal and Conservative Catholics want to keep the Catholic Institutions.

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

RasThavas on November 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Amen!

Remember…In her long history the Church born with the sacrifice of the crucifixion into the promise of the resurrection and sealed with the blood,sweat and tears of Martyrs and Apostles has seen many Neros and she will prevail because it is promised by Christ.

The British drove our schools out of Ireland and made Priests criminals…Yet we survived.

Hitler murdered our clergy throughout Europe…Yet Catholics saved many Jews and although smaller there are still Catholics in Europe. Poland will lead a conservative catholic resurgence.

Stalin crushed us under his Iron Curtain…Yet the Orthodox are roaring back in Russia and Roman Catholics are coming back throughout the former Eastern Block. Our Lady predicted this and JPII consecrated Russia…precipitating the collapse of the soviet union.

Marxists murdered our clergy in Mexico…But we are coming back and can now (since the 1990′s) resume teaching in Catholic Schools which are being built as fast as possible. (Many mexicans come here to educate their children because the socialists destroyed the catholic school system and the parishes…That is never mentioned in the immigration story…It’s not just economics…It is Persecution of Catholics in socialist countries throughout Latin America and Cuba)

China trying to undermine our Pope is persecuting Catholics who won’t conform to the false government church (They are also seizing other Christian Denominational Churches)…But we will prevail.

Remember…We will prevail and our fight here is the fight for religious liberty guaranteed for all religions in our unique and inspired constitution.

Tu es Petra et super hanc petram aedificabo Ecclesiam meam

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Breitbart:

People Walk Out On Obama At Virginia Rally

…that’s what happened yesterday to Barack Obama in Virginia. Famous liar, womanizer, and accused rapist Bill Clinton kept the audience in their seats, but as Obama was speaking, many people had had enough; they got up and left so they could beat the parking lot traffic.

As Charlie Spiering of the Washington Examiner tweeted:

Wow. Steady stream of cold people trotting towards the exit in the middle of Obama’s speech.

And even Obama’s hot air wasn’t enough to hold them.

Ka-Boom!

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Ka-Boom!

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Ka-Boom!

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Now that’s a poll one can believe. Will they vote for Oblama Tuesday or stay home?

dogsoldier on November 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Looks like a pretty big group at the Romney rally in PA!:

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Night Owl on November 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Damn! Pew has it 50-47 for Obama. They are amongst the most accurate polls. This thing is over. Now it feels like four years ago. Stop all the anecdotal crap. The polls do matter and Pew is not gonna risk their reputation for any political party! So stop with the nonsense.

Robb on November 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Robb on November 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

BUZLTYR on November 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Good luck with that!

Panthers are 1-6. They have no chance.

gumbyandpokey on November 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

If I thought I could stand your company, I would offer you and all expenses paid trip to Vegas. We would sit at a roulette table, and you would tell me whether you thought red or black would come up. I would bet the other way and only lose when the zero hit.

IamDA on November 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Instead of digging down deep in the weeds with polls like his, how about an honest overall appraisal of where Mitt stands? To be sure, polling in swing states and other blue-turning-purple ones will be the key to who wins and loses here, but how about a bird’s eye view of what the prospects of Mitt’s chances are when everything is said and done up to this point.

I’m as much a political and electoral junkie as anyone else, but (almost) anecdotal stories of enthusiasm here and snap polling there really don’t mean squat. Let’s have an open thread like the NFL thread that’s going on right now. What are Mitt’s chances of winning? Or do we need to go to Intrade for that?

On Fox News this morning, Joe Trippi and Karl Rove seemed to agree on one thing: Ohio would be outcome determinative. And Ohio would depend on one county, Hamilton County. According to them, Hamilton has traditionally been red, but turned blue last election.

The big question is whether they’re both right about Hamilton and Ohio. If so, shouldn’t that issue be pushing where all the election threads here (and elsewhere) are going, in addition to an Intrade like tracking system about the winner in this election? That’s not to say that threads on other key states should be dumped, but if something is truly a key issue, it should be placed front and center. All the other stuff about enthusiasm and what not should be really take a back seat.

ieplaya on November 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Robb on November 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Moby.

wargamer6 on November 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

For the few unfortunately mentally retarded here: Dade County and Broward County in Florida are overwhelmingly democratic counties, and democratics run the voting offices, just as democratics made up the butterfly ballot. If Dade and Broward are screwed up it’s because that’s the way democratics do things. If the lines are too long it’s because democratics didn’t put in enough machines or enough voting locations.

slickwillie2001 on November 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

workingclass artist on November 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Terrific analysis and great links!

I would also add that the 60s liberalism that arose after Vatican II resulted in the disintegration of catechesis as taught to school age children. Eventually, that has resulted in a sizable number of adults who were baptized Catholic and may have made their First Communion, but know little to nothing about their faith, and thus do not practice it.

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

ieplaya on November 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM

What a silly post. Everything is covered here. Nobody knows exactly how this is going to go down, but I want as much analysis of all aspects as possible.

Here’s another bit of news for you guys:

@DefendoLibertas I’m told that Ras already is showing a “good” Romney day coming up tomorrow and two “good” Obama days dropping off
12:17pm – 4 Nov 12

Expect Rasmussen to have Romney at least at 50 tomorrow

bluegill on November 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM

ieplaya on November 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM

It is quite simple……if the democrat turnout is as high or higher than it was in 2008, O wins. On the other hand, if the turn out returns to the “norm” Romney wins simple as that.

Remember that 2008 was the high water mark for Dem turnout.

My feeling is that if anything…..turnout will be a bit of a Republican wave, maybe not a high water mark but up significantly from 2008.

Animal60 on November 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Robb on November 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I remember the thread on Thursday where you promised not to appear again if the unemployment rate went up on Friday. Go away.

IamDA on November 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

IamDA on November 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

He won’t. Lying trolls like him never do.

wargamer6 on November 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

IamDA on November 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

When you guys respond to the trolls like that, can you please not quote their entire post over again. You do understand that is exactly what they want you to do, right? It just spreads the crap around. So sad to see people do the same thing over and over. You can quote his name and timestamp only if you want to make it clear who you are responding to.

bluegill on November 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Oh no! Gallup says that Swing States are a Tie! The electorate is swinging back to Obama, Oh no! Are we doomed?

timoric on November 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I’m curious: If –as seems increasingly likely– President Obama is re-elected on Tuesday, will there be anyone in the Hot Air community willing to acknowledge here that the win is legitimate? Will anyone admit that Barack Obama will have earned the right to be president the same way that every other President has earned that right — by being elected to that office?

Or will the collective worldview around here be all about “voter fraud,” “stolen elections” and other simple denials of electoral reality?

It will be interesting to see how that plays out here.

Drew Lowell on November 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Drew Lowell on November 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

After Obama loses on Tuesday, an outcome which is looking all but certain, will the Obama worshipers and MOBY trolls still hang around this website? What will they have to do with themselves?

bluegill on November 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

It will be interesting to see how that plays out here.

Drew Lowell on November 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

We’re not progs, like you.

If it’s a straight-up win. It’s a win.

If it’s a win that comes on the backs of his 600 lawyers in Cuyahoga County and cries of “suppression”, then it’s political warfare for a solid year.

budfox on November 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Robb on November 4, 2012 at 6:04 P

Oh nooooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oooes!

BTW, is this, by any chance, the same Pew folks that sponsor every other PBS program?

M240H on November 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

It will be interesting to see how that plays out here.

Drew Lowell on November 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’d be satisfied with all you reprobate leftists self-immolating when Romney sweeps the nation.

Shove it nimrod!

tom daschle concerned on November 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I’m curious: ….
Drew Lowell on November 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I am sure Libfree and Ric and cure your curiosity. Have fun. FO.

CW on November 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Who is voting for Mitt Romney? AKA: Let’s save America because we can!

Catholics – who have been challenged by Obama in their faith and beliefs. They have been running a vast nationwide campaign, along with millions of other Christians, to vote overwhelmingly for Romney.
Blacks – who are against same-sex marriages as being immoral and who have suffered most from Obama’s failures.
Whites – who see that Blacks are voting for Obama because he’s Black; Whites will vote for Whites.
Republicans – none of which voted for Obamacare.
Tea Party followers – who like in 2010 are throwing out Liberals and RHINOS again. And, here they come in every state of the union to do a 2010-style get-out-the-vote in 2012 for Romney/Ryan.
Coal Miners – who are taking Obama’s threats to end coal mining in America seriously. Coal mining is their livelihood and they are going to the polls to vote ROMNEY.
Vehicle drivers – those who are faced with TWICE the cost of gas since Obama took office.
Jobless workers – those who have been waiting for Obama to create jobs, but he hasn’t; many job-seekers have left the job market. Millions are underemployed and have taken lower wager. Fight Obama!
Stock and Bond holders – many of whom were shafted when GM and Chrysler went bankrupt. Obama gave preference to unions and left bond-holders with nothing.
Small Business owners – who have repeatedly been ignored by Obama. They favor Romney and are waiting to grow their businesses in an environment that is favorable to business.
Citizens against Obamacare – because of the upcoming increase in taxes and excessive regulation if Obamacare is not repealed.
Jewish folks – because Obama has not visited Israel even once since taking office; and Obama’s bad attitude toward Israel. An overwhelming majority in Israel favor Romney. A major NY Jewish newspaper has endorsed Romney for President.
Hispanics – those who know that Obama’s failure to create sufficient jobs is hurting the U.S. economy in a bad way. And Obama’s bad policies have raised gas and food prices; Hispanics shop, too! Many support Romney now.
Business people – millions who are hesitant to grow because of the vast uncertainty due to Obama and Obamacare.
Workers – facing layoffs, underemployment and a worsening economy; lower wages.
Shoppers – those who see prices rising and product size shrinking; inventories reduced.
Concerned Citizens – who see the Benghazi incident as an Obama failure and even treasonous (un-American).
Concerned Citizens – who see Obama’s foreign policies as dangerous and failures.
Persons of Faith – who recognize Obama’s forcing provision by them of contraception to employees as Constitutional violations.
Gun owners – who have always been against the extreme liberal ideas Obama has for gun control.
Local government officials – who see Obama’s federal encroachment as unacceptable.
Truckers – who see the high price of gas as an attack on their livelihood.
Oil business – that reject Obama’s curbs on off-shore drilling.
Oil industry workers – that recognize the Keystone pipeline as Obama’s failure to encourage jobs and job growth.
Americans – who view Obama’s encouragement of high oil prices and lowered U.S. oil production as favoring OPEC and Arabs.
Concerned Congressmen – those that recognize that Obama has no cogent foreign policy, which could prove to be dangerous.
Individuals
Homeowners – who have seen their life saving and equity go down the drain because Obama has done nothing on the economy.
Health care providers – doctors and others who see Obamacare as a threat to their income; and harmful extreme regulations that take medical decision-making away from doctors and gives it to bureaucrats.
Concerned citizens – that are very concerned about the U.S. deficit and Obama’s extreme radical uncontrolled spending.
Others – concerned about Obama’s illegal activities, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, not defending DOMA, condoning illegal aliens.
Abortion foes – object to Obama’s callous lack of concern for the unborn and Obama’s radical third trimester abortion views.
Concerned Americans – who have been outright lied to by Obama when he claimed his administration would be transparent.
Car manufacturers – those that have seen car sales drop with Obama’s bad economy and economic policies hurting sales.
Housing developers – who like many others have seen the Obama economy cripple home construction and lower profits.
Mormons – who support Mitt Romney as a person of faith, good character, and honest principles.
Economists – that have expressed encouragement that Romney’s experience and knowledge will lead to true hope and results.
Military – seeing that Obama’s cuts will endanger their ability to protect our country.
Independents – who already have provided a surge for Romney, are convinced that the past 4 years of Obama is enough.
Evangelicals – who organized the largest get-out-the-vote for conservatism ever, in their concerted effort to defeat Obama.
Conservatives – a majority in U.S., are pushing hard to take the Senate, Presidency and House for the good of America.
Skeptics – who 4 years ago were duped into believing in Obama’s Hope and Change that eventually came to nothing, just lies.
Disillusioned Democrats – who have been utterly disappointed in Obama and will not vote for Obama or not vote at all.
and millions, millions more against Obama and his lies and failures.
And, YES. Many State and Federal workers support Romney because they have FAMILY members that need jobs; fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandma and grandpa — they are suffering, too, from Obama’s failure to create adequate numbers of good-paying jobs.

Vote Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan. Let’s make America strong and great again because we can!

AdrianS on November 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

“This election…is lost”
Dingy Reid

Strike Hornet on November 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Having lived through Carter, I just cannot fathom an Obama re-election. It does not make sense, not one bit.

It’s quite fitting for the media and pundits to assume a failed president could win, it is easy to do when you are sitting in the same position with the same salary that you had in 2008. I would imagine that if your income has not changed in four years you have all the time in the world to wait for “change”. I do not begrudge them, but they are out of the loop.

Here’s my story, and there are millions like me: I am 52 years old, female, on my fourth job since inauguration Day. All three previous jobs were from company closures. The first job loss in February 2009 was a 22 year position. I currently make 24K less per year in income since that date. Unemployment, looking for full time work, temporary positions in between so I could get off unemployment while continuing to look for full time work.My husband lost his job of 36+ years one year ago today. His company closed.

Do I blame the President of the United States for all my trials? No, not really. I do however blame him and his administration for not turning this around, he said he could, he said he would. Working on health care for an entire year while I was searching for unemployment. Priorities not in order. I do not have the time to wait for change, I want a change of strategy.

shar61 on November 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Saw this recently and just had to share:

It’s unfortunate that Mitt hasn’t learned the lessons of the past. The last time a Republican presidential candidate won PA was in 1988, yet every single one of them has wasted valuable time and money campaigning in PA. He will not win Pennsylvania. It’s fool’s gold, and Republican presidential candidates always seem to be foolish enough to think they can push it over the top with a few extra rallies and ad buys. The more resources he wastes in PA, the less he can wasted in true battleground states like Colorado, Florida or Virginia.

Every single poll aggregator [as opposed to the polls cherry-picked by Hot Air] is forecasting an Obama win, and it’ll be a sizable one, too. In fact, the only swing states Romney is likely to win are NC and FL, the latter only because of cheap bureaucratic tricks. That will put Obama at 303 electoral votes, which is 33 more than he needs to be re-elected.

Constantine on November 5, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Constantine on November 5, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I have a feeling you won’t be too pleased if Mitt does win PA, which looks increasingly likely. ;-)

bluegill on November 5, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Constantine on November 5, 2012 at 3:06 AM

If dems turnout in numbers equal to or greater than they did in 2008, your post will be correct.

NOw ask yourself how likely that is.

Animal60 on November 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I just spent this past weekend visiting family up in Levittown, Pennsylvania. Still no power at my Dad’s house, but he has a whole house generator, so he’s okay. In fact, he’s letting a neighbor run an extension chord to their house. When I jogged around the neighborhood Saturday, I noticed those with generators were letting neighbors run extension chords. Observations:
1. In a time of crisis, it’s going to be neighbors helping neighbors that gets the job done…..not dependence on the All Knowing, All Powerful Federal Government (so be nice to your neighbors!)
2. A smattering of Romney/Ryan signs and Smith for Senate yard signs. The few democrat yards signs were for state offices….virtually no Obama signs
3. The Pastor absolutely UNLOADED during the homily at mass Sunday morning. I saw one person slink out of mass during the homily. Needless to say, without directly mentioning Obama, you knew who was being blasted.

I have a hunch that election day will make Chik-Fil-A Appreciation Day turnout look sparse.

olesparkie on November 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Wow, if Romney wins in Michigan or Pennsylvania then Obama is history. Those are must win states for Obama, he has to win both to even have a chance at being re-elected.

Dollayo on November 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

RASMUSSEN: R 49% O 48%

Resist We Much on November 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM

FL, the latter only because of cheap bureaucratic tricks

In a state that has, since 2008, elected a GOP governor, massively increased its congressional delegation in favor of the GOP, elected a popular GOP Senator, and witnessed a strong state house swing toward the GOP, you found Democrat identification advantage in your survey that more than doubles the advantage they enjoyed in 2008 despite a nearly net 300,000 swing towards Republicans in voter registrations and you call it “cheap bureaucratic tricks!”

Resist We Much on November 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I’m curious: If –as seems increasingly likely– President Obama Governor Romney is re-elected on Tuesday, will there be anyone in the Hot Air Liberal community willing to acknowledge here that the win is legitimate? Will anyone admit that Barack Obama Mitt Romney will have earned the right to be president the same way that every other President has earned that right — by being elected to that office?

It will be interesting to see how that plays out here.

Drew Lowell on November 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM

FIFY

Tenwheeler on November 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Damn! Pew has it 50-47 for Obama. They are amongst the most accurate polls.

Robb on November 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Analysis: Most Accurate polls from 2008 presidential election

Resist We Much on November 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

The Republicans (hopefully Conservatives) have a REAL chance to increase their House seats and take over the Senate by several seats.

Worthwhile reading for the day before the presidential election 2012:

Romney for President
The Obama record is unimpressive.

AdrianS on November 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM