Polls: This Mitt fellow is becoming more likeable by the day

posted at 1:31 pm on November 4, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

I know many conservatives bristle at the notion of “likeability” or personal “favorability” as an important campaign metric, dismissing it as a shallow consideration not worthy of news coverage.

But, the fact is, it does matter. It is not, on its own, a qualification for office, but we are human beings and we make many decisions based on whether we like or dislike others. If you don’t think it’s a boon to be likeable, imagine Ronald Reagan’s presidency with Harry Reid’s personality.

The likeability issue has probably received an outsized amount of coverage during President Obama’s four years in office because, as economic stats stalled and fell, Obama’s personal “favorability” didn’t, allowing media to crow about its preferred candidate’s appeal.

No longer. In the waning days of this election, Mitt Romney has closed the likeability gap—formerly Obama’s greatest asset— in four separate polls (three national, one battleground), rising to his highest levels of the campaign in the eyes of voters.

WaPo/ABC:

Fifty-four percent of likely voters in the latest ABC News/Washington Post tracking poll express a favorable opinion of Obama overall, the most basic measure of a public figure’s popularity. Yet 53 percent now see Romney favorably – a majority, remarkably, for the first time.

It’s a dramatic gain for Romney, who emerged from the Republican primaries as the least popular major party candidate in polling back to 1984 and remained there up to the debates. Just 40 percent saw him favorably as recently as late August, and it was essentially no better, 44 percent, after the party conventions.

Politico/GWU:

Romney and Obama are now at parity on likability: 51 percent view Obama favorably while 50 percent view Romney favorably. Meanwhile, 45 percent of respondents view Obama unfavorably and 44 percent view Romney unfavorably.

In the Oct. 1 Politico/GWU poll, taken entirely before the first debate, Obama outdid Romney 51-46 on this measure.

Same in the most recent Fox poll:

In addition, the two are about equally liked by voters. Fifty-two percent have a favorable opinion of Obama, while 51 percent have a positive view of Romney.

Pittsburgh Tribune poll of Pennsylvania, which shows a 47-47 race in the Keystone state today:

Obama enjoyed wide leads in state polling during most of the race. That narrowed when Romney’s image improved as a result of the October presidential debates. Susquehanna found 48 percent of voters view Romney favorably, the first time he tied Obama on that measure. A Trib poll in September found Obama with a 47 percent favorability rating, compared with Romney’s 41 percent.

The NBC poll’s numbers on individual questions won’t come out until tonight. The race is a dead heat in four national polls and Romney has closed the likeability gap, while Democrats show signs of improving their enthusiasm numbers. Will the former offset the latter? Romney’s problems with likeability were widely seen as a large part of the reason people didn’t view him as a viable alternative to the president. He has changed his image perceptibly since the first debate, wiping out what used to be sometimes a double-digit advantage for the president.

Is it enough to push a few extra voters to the polls in Northwest Ohio and Eastern Ohio coal country, Western Pennsylvania, and the Philadelphia burbs? Or, given the high numbers of early voters, did folks just learn to like Mitt a little too late?

Since we’re going anti-Eyeore in this post, let’s also give you a shot in the arm with Guy Benson’s 6 Reasons to be Optimistic this weekend.

Front-page photo credit to Nate Beeler

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 11

Gallup: GALLUP: 2008, 54% D, 42% R — 2012: 49% R, 46% D…

portlandon on November 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

In 2000, it was Florida, Florida, Florida

In 2004, it was Ohio, Ohio, Ohio

In 2012, it is Sandy, Sandy, Sandy

Obama wins by 1-2 pts in the popular vote, and that entire margin can be blamed on Sandy/Christie

gumbyandpokey on November 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

What’s likeable about Dear Liar? He’s petty and narcissistic.

rbj on November 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Apparently cancelling the marathons weren’t enough.

Chaz706 on November 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I can’t wait. Not for Tuesday when Romney wins the election, but Wednesday when jamegumbandpokemon is gone from this site.

Doughboy on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Romney.

Mitsouko on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

“Likability” also increases when they’re tossed from office. There are a couple FoxNews hosts I can think of who are positively going to have glowing flowery things to say about Obummer, like they did with Gore and Kerry. I suppose it’s good manners.

Marcus on November 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Done.

Lanceman on November 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Wrong link.

clearbluesky on November 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Still concerned about all the early voting particularly the absolutely insane rules in “Oiho” where apparently the window for early voting starts the minute the voter leaves the womb or something. Early voting reflects different a different time in the campaign including a lot of votes cast before the first debate. And, of course, all those NY/NJ people who think nothing of casting votes in Florida too- just to help Mr. Obama.

The GOP needs to make it clear that this has become a turn-out election to counteract all the known Dem fraud.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Where is MKH seeing that Democratic enthusiasm is gaining? I haven’t seen that anywhere. Because people showed up for free concerts yesterday?

BettyRuth on November 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

All aboard!

Kataklysmic on November 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The only Obama signs around here are in front of the McMansions of the local ambulance chasers.

Make me laugh.

batterup on November 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yep

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

/thread

Left Coast Right Mind on November 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!!!!elevnty!!!*
*this thread is for trolls only. And for the smart people who already know that to write something goofy like trolls.

cozmo on November 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Got it!

Flora Duh on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

B O Y C O T T
T R O L L S

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Mitt’s likeability increases as Obama shrinks into a whining, diapered toddler. I mean, what’s not to like when you’re contrasted with a petulant child? All that Romney has to do is act as an adult and his numbers will increase. Well, that’s a lil’ simplistic, but say it ain’t so.

ted c on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I would like to thank Mary Katharine Ham for posting some actual substantive content on the Sunday before the biggest election of our lives. I should think that we would be seeing some serious posts from HA throughout this weekend.

nitzsche on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Well hell, let me carry over my seat-of-the-pants, stream-of-consciousness electoral-vote prediction I just made on the “Virtual Ties” thread:

Here’s a stream-of-consciousness prediction:

I think 0bama will get Washington, Oregon, California, Vermont, Connecticut, Delaware, D.C., New York, New Jersey, Maine, Rhode Island, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Colorado, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Hawaii, and THAT’S IT.

Romney gets the rest.

So let me total all that up: 216 for 0bama. 322 for Romney.

That’s my prediction… making it now.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

The key four: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan……

Those go Romney/Ryan.

My opinion only.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

My prediction: wrong. Romney will get IA and CO. But I love that you have WI, PA and MI for Romney…beyond my wildest dreams.

Jaibones on November 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I am factoring in the preference cascade that I sense. Way too many editorials of major newspapers flipping sides.

I stand by my prediction. I disagree with you as far as IA and CO for these reasons: Iowans have a hard-headed wrongness streak that surfaces a lot. Colorado has ben invaded by way too many rich hippies.

But I am curious….. do you think that Romney will get ANY of WI, PA and MI?

My reasons:

Ryan, combined with the Walker mess, will deliver WI as a favorite son/protest vote.

Romney’s knowledge of the auto industry will deliver a MI that knows the industry is on its deathbed.

PA…. that’s just a gut feeling. There are enough hardscrabble towns that depend upon coal, and enough common sense in the western half of the state to outweigh Philly.

My predictions are worth the electrons that convey them…. but I am giving my reasoning.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I G N O R E…
T R O L L S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Roger on the TrollCot.

Copy that.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

TROLLCOT

BeachBum on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Trollcot!!!!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

ok.

SHARPTOOTH on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I don’t think the link is working. It goes to the MSNBC page.

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

In 2000, it was Florida, Florida, Florida

In 2004, it was Ohio, Ohio, Ohio

In 2012, it is Sandy, Sandy, Sandy

gumbyandpokey on November 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Tuesday, November 6 2012, is not going to be kind to you!

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

MK; that doesn’t link to a Guy Benson post…it’s an Obama-pr0n site ….er. I meant, NBC news...

ted c on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

F L U K E
T H E
T R O L L S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I can not for the life of me figure out why bho is likable? He is a snotty, brat, pouts if he doesn’t get his way, blames everything that has gone wrong in the four years on someone else besides himself, has totally messed up our foreign policies all over the world, nasty, evil, given the US our first downgrade because of his spending, and to boot, his wife is nasty also!

I’m sure I left things out?
L

letget on November 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Tuesday, November 6 2012, is not going to be kind to you!

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

So how does chumming factor into a TrollCot?

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

ROMNEY.

purgatory on November 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Trollcot

buckichick1 on November 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

TROLLCOT

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

It’s not close today, and it never has been!

Obama will win, California, New York, Illinois, Vermont and the District of Columbia.
Obama May win Washington, Oregon, Maine, and Hawaii.

All other states will vote Romney.

The republicans will gain 12 in the Senate and hold the House with 7 to 11 seats gained.

The Popular Vote Split will be – Romney 54 Obama 45

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

In 2000, it was RINO, RINO, RINO

In 2004, it was RINO, RINO, RINO

In 2008, it was SCoaMF, SCoaMF, SCoaMF

In 2012, it is RINO, RINO, RINO

ShainS on November 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

President Romney.

Has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

purgatory on November 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Showtunes, MKH?

Showtunes?

Typhoon on November 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

So I got dis chicken.

Been layin out in the sun for two-t’ree days, yeah.

Puttin it on a mais big hook, throwin it over a big tree limb.

Gonna eat me some boudin and make sure the .45′s loaded.

Iffin I come back and that chicken she’s in the bayou we gonna have some alligator tail, chere.

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

…N O
HABLA
T R O L L S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

TrollCot!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’m sure I left things out?
L

letget on November 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

One of his traits that really grinds me is how he jaunts up the steps to the podium of any rally, with his sleeves halfway rolled up, like they just called his name on the Price is Right.

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Romney/Ryan2012

And that’s all I’ve got to say about that!

Flora Duh on November 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Apparently cancelling the marathons weren’t enough.

Chaz706 on November 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I was in New Orleans post-Katrina. What the rat-eared wonder and his administration is doing in NY/NJ is more inept. Complete with turning away repair crews for being non-union. Declaring that the National Guard can’t be on the streets of NYC because they carry guns (NG troops were on the ground in NOLA for years). And not immediately cancelling the Marathon. And where are the Governors of NY and NJ and Bloomberg in telling the unions to stand-down? Restoring order and power to the people suffering in freezing temps without benefit of power or running water? But hey, Obama is on the campaign trail and his worthless whore of a DHS secretary is screwing things up far worse than Brownie ever did.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

President Romney.

Has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

purgatory on November 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I can’t wait until it’s VP Ryan, too. And Ted Cruz in the Senate.

batterup on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Trollcot

hollygolightly on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I’m sure I left things out?
L

letget on November 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

In 1979 we had the Sex Symbol of Sex Symbols.
She was the New Brigit Bardot – Sophia Loren and Raquel Welch all rolled into one.
She was “The Sexiest Woman Alive!”

Who was she?

Bo Derek, of course.

And why was she this super international Sex Symbol that everyone was clammoring about?

Because the Media told us so, that’s why.

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

President Romney.

Has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

purgatory on November 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Former President Barack Obama sounds even better.

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Few things are more scary than the number of people who rely on talking points, instead of weighing serious issues in a serious way. Thomas Sowell

Speakup on November 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

N O

spechen zie

T R O L L S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Thanks, you reminded me of a couple others, coming down the stairs of AF1 with his skinny hands flopping up and down and that worthless slug PUTTING his feet on every piece of furniture in the Oval Office!
L

letget on November 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

TrollCot!

JPeterman on November 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’m sorry, you’ve lost me.

Precisely what is a TrollCot?

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Bo Derek, of course.

Because the Media told us so, that’s why.

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

FYI – Bo Derek is an uber conservative and attended Reagan’s funeral. That makes her a 10 in my book, and I’m straight.

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Gallup: GALLUP: 2008, 54% D, 42% R — 2012: 49% R, 46% D…

portlandon on November 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

That is ATOMIC! Even poor little Nate Silver today is covering his ass with the prediction that if the electorate is R+1, Romney has a 70% chance of winning. If it is R+3 — as Gallup says it is — it will be a historic landslide victory for Romney.

Rational Thought on November 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I’ve got to think that there are not a lot of swing voters in early voting. This is going to be a turn out election and the punditocracy make the claim that the rat-eared wonder has a good ground game. That’s what makes me most concerned.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

No need to wait,here’s Politico’s new battleground poll

Can it fix this tho?

Independents are now split evenly, with Obama up 44 to 43 percent. A week ago, Romney had a 10-point advantage among this key demographic.

On the generic congressional ballot, Republicans are tied with Democrats at 46 percent. On this measure, Republicans led the last two weeks after Democrats had an advantage for much of the fall

Democrats continue to have an advantage on early voting, but Republicans closed the gap somewhat over the past week.

A full 27 percent of those surveyed said they’ve already cast their ballot. Of them, Obama leads 50 to 48 percent.

Poll was done last Monday-thursday, overall, Obama went down 1% to being at a tie now.

Party ID
43/40/14 D/R/I (includes leans)
36/31/14 (w/o leans)

You decide

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Here’s the link to the Benson article

catquilt on November 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM

OOps

Precisely what is a TrollCot?

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

BoyTrollcot.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM

cane_loader on November 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hahaha! Love it! You sound just like my Uncle Roy…true Cajun from down around Plaquemines. Throw in some dirty rice too!

graywaiter on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

And Ted Cruz in the Senate.

batterup on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

And Ted Cruz in the GOP-controlled Senate.

batterup on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

FIFY

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Apparently cancelling the marathons weren’t enough.

Chaz706 on November 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

That is beyond sad.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

T R O L L C O T…!!!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I think this likeability stuff is important. If you look back over the years, the winning candidate always seemed to be the one that people most wanted to have a beer with.

Barry has worked hard at this – trying to appear down to earth – but his negative campaign has not worn well, and I think Romney made great strides during the debates when people finally saw him unfiltered by the media. The problem is – Mitt doesn’t drink. But if he did, I think most would rather have a beer with him at this point.

TarheelBen on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Trollcot

SWalker on November 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog

Bible-thumping extremist politician cites scripture as basis for legislation http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/11/03/obama-campaign-releases-ad-citing-moral-biblical-background-administration-policies-1 … h/t @jstrevino

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

My ex-wife and her mother always voted for who they wanted to see on their TV set for the next four years.

meci on November 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I knew that, but it doesn’t change how Marketing over substance was engaged to Make someone appear to be what they wanted them to be was engaged.

I said nothing about the fact that she is smart.

Obama isn’t a likeable guy, he just plays one on TV.
Notice how, without a Teleprompter, are all the times when we see the Real Barack.
I won!
You didn’t build that!
Voting is the Best Revenge!

All UnTeleprompted.

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Anybody planning on seeing The Hobbit? (Trollcot)

neuquenguy on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Trollcott…

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Precisely what is a TrollCot?

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

It means ignore the trolls like gumby. Their entire purpose is to get people mad and make us react.

They are pathetic losers with no lives of their own who can’t relate well to humans, so they have to get their sexual satisfaction by trolling conservative sites while they imagine their mothers under Obama.

Adjoran on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

letget on November 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Well, since we’re going to list peeves- How about calling everybody including the Muslim animals that killed four Americans at Benghazi “folks.”

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

ot/…I know it’s not the football thread…but since I’m on here while watching pro-football…why do I like watching college football SO MUCH better?

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

And Ted Cruz in the GOP-controlled Senate.

batterup on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

FIFY

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Cruz is a lock for the win, but I’m not feeling good about GOP control. Akin and Mourdock with their self inflicted wounds, although Akin’s was much worse, is gonna make it tough.

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Boycott.

A boycott is an act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for political reasons. It can be a form of consumer activism.

Etymology

The word boycott entered the English language during the Irish “Land War” and is derived from the name of Captain Charles Boycott, the land agent of an absentee landlord, Lord Erne, who lived in Lough Mask House, near Ballinrobe in County Mayo, Ireland, who was subject to social ostracism organized by the Irish Land League in 1880. As harvests had been poor that year, Lord Erne offered his tenants a ten percent reduction in their rents. In September of that year, protesting tenants demanded a twenty five percent reduction, which Lord Erne refused. Boycott then attempted to evict eleven tenants from the land. Charles Stewart Parnell, in a speech in Ennis prior to the events in Lough Mask, proposed that when dealing with tenants who take farms where another tenant was evicted, rather than resorting to violence, everyone in the locality should shun them. While Parnell’s speech did not refer to land agents or landlords, the tactic was first applied to Boycott when the alarm was raised about the evictions. Despite the short-term economic hardship to those undertaking this action, Boycott soon found himself isolated — his workers stopped work in the fields and stables, as well as in his house. Local businessmen stopped trading with him, and the local postman refused to deliver mail.

Just FYI.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

meci on November 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I gotta admit that I understand that strategy even though I don’t vote according to it. I thought Bill Clinton was the worst and it got so that I could not stand to see him on television. But, I truly loathe seeing the rat-eared wonder on television in any responsible role. If he wants to tell the folks to “come on down” to Barry’s used car lot, that is one thing but as leader of the free world- not so much.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

…why do I like watching college football SO MUCH better?

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The cheerleaders ain’t as sleazy?
trollcott

cozmo on November 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Revenge!

profitsbeard on November 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Sorry if that came out a little snarky, I agree with what you’re saying. My nerves are pretty frayed after four years.

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

In 2000, it was Florida, Florida, Florida

In 2004, it was Ohio, Ohio, Ohio

In 2012, it is Sandy, Sandy, Sandy

gumbyandpokey on November 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Tuesday, November 6 2012, is not going to be kind to you!

jaydee_007 on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Wednesday, November 7, 2012, doesn’t look so hot for him either.

pilamaye on November 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Trollcot

ShadowsPawn on November 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

N O

spechen zie

T R O L L S…!!!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Ich verstehe !!!

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Not Optimal.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Well… compared to Obama, Poison Ivy is ‘likable”

Awesome Video Nugget courtesy Dave @ MOONBATTERY: Joe Dan Gorman of Intellectual Frog Legs is a “Modern Day Will Rogers’ of sorts… he destroys Libs with a grin….cool graphics and some tasty classic rock. LINK

deedtrader on November 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I just don’t understand how anyone can like 0bama…

OmahaConservative on November 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

neuquenguy on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Planning to, just not sure when. Will probably go see Skyfall at Thanksgiving though.

Left Coast Right Mind on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Polls in battleground states show Obama being well behind Romney in likability. They’re often even on the pro side, but the negative side is way higher on Obama.

BTW, I went to Kos. Their articles are all “Reasons to vote for Obama and reasons to vote against Romney”. If you’re still trying to make the argument this late in the game, it’s over. The comments are not optimistic at all. They are all angry. The “revenge” comment is targeted at them. This says that Obama is behind and still trying to drive up his “angry” base. But it’s tough being angry at someone who’s been out of office for 4 years or angry against someone who hasn’t been in the Oval Office at all.

MrX on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The cheerleaders ain’t as sleazy?

cozmo on November 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Sleazy, mais non, au contraire :)

jimver on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Polls: This Mitt fellow is becoming more likeable by the day

A headline just begging for another Hot Air troll circle jerk.

Trollcot.

MichaelGabriel on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The “6 reasons for optimism” link does work — it should be “/03/” not “/3/”.

ClintACK on November 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ha! Your lib friends in Madison is sellin’ you down the river Obama!
cya! wouldntwannabeya!

ted c on November 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

…I think I’m more worried about the Senate than the Presidential!
I’ve been on the phones periodically…taking a va-ca day tomorrow too…and the number of so called Dems that are going to vote for Romney this time surprises me…and I’m not sure that is reflected in a lot of ‘polling’.

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I’m with you on this. People here keep patting me on the head and telling me not to worry about it, but I still do. I’m doing my best to keep my hopes up, but I’m nowhere near as confident as everyone else here seems to be.

JFS61 on November 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

…and that worthless slug PUTTING his feet on every piece of furniture in the Oval Office!

letget on November 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That one irks me, too… especially when I see them on Resolute Desk!

jffree1 on November 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Well, I like Romney more than I did.

davidk on November 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

TROLLCOT

dogsoldier on November 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I hereby nominate gumbyandpokey for clean-up detail at MSNBC Tuesday night to take care of the aftermath of all the head explosions that will happen there.

pilamaye on November 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM