NFL Week 9 open thread

posted at 12:16 pm on November 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last week the Pittsburgh Steelers dominated RGIII and the Washington Redskins, raising their record to 4-3 and my hopes of a Super Bowl season.  Today they take on Washington’s division rival New York Giants, who have played dominating football of late themselves.  They’ll play in the Meadowlands, with the emotion of surviving Hurricane Sandy making the Giants emotional as well betting favorites in this game.  I’m still picking the Steelers, although I admit this is a faith-based decision.  Pittsburgh 20, Giants 16.

I had a good week in Week 8, going 5-1 for three weeks in a row to run my season record to 32-16.  Can I get a sweep today?

• Cardinals at Packers – Arizona looked sharp to start the season, but they’ve gone dull ever since.  The Packers have stepped up their play since losing to Seattle in the game that all but demanded an end to the game-officials strike.  I don’t see either trend ending this week.  Green Bay over Arizona, 35-17.
  • Vikings at Seahawks – The Vikings don’t play well on the road, and Seattle plays tough at home; they haven’t lost a game there yet, and I don’t think the Vikes are the team to end that streak.  Seahawks edge Minnesota, 31-27.
  • Cowboys at Falcons – Dallas desperately needs a win to keep their season alive, but Atlanta looks too tough at home — or anywhere else, for that matter.  Atlanta won’t go 16-0, but they won’t be 7-1 either.  The line has the Falcons up by 4, but I think it won’t be that close.  Falcons 30, Dallas 20.
  • Eagles at Saints – This should be a really good Monday Night Football game, but only because both teams are looking pretty desperate.  Both have fallen far short of expectations, and both have a tremendous amount of pressure to start righting their collective ships.  New Orleans has deeper talent on both sides of the ball, though, and they’re playing at home.  I’m picking the Saints to win, 38-27.
  • Panthers at Redskins – Normally I wouldn’t pick this game, but we’re hearing once again about the “Redskins Rule.”   “Since 1940 — ever since the Redskins moved to D.C. — the team’s outcome in their final game before the presidential election has usually determined which party would win the White House all but one time,” the Washington Post explains.  “Every time the Redskins win on their game before the election, the incumbent party wins the presidential vote. If the Redskins lose, the non-incumbent wins.” Soooooooo … go Panthers, 29-17 over the Redskins.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh great, as a long suffering Redskins fan I have learned to never count on them. The Panthers have only won one game? I’m sick.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Go Falcons! Rise up tonight!

Donald Draper on November 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

last week sucked, 7-6 total of 69-48 need a good week

Ed, we started a new streak 4 years ago, so it is now 9-0, 8-0 and 1-0, Redskins win and it goes 2-0 ;))

got chargers
GB
Lions
Bears
Broncos
Ravens
Dolphins
TX’s
seahawks
bucs
steelerss
falcons
and saints

good luck all off to the bar

smitty41 on November 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

chin up cindy :))))

smitty41 on November 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Can the rule be modified if the Redskins & Romney & Ryan all win?

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Following the 2004 election the rule was modified to “If the Redskins win, then the party that won the POPULAR vote in the previous election will win the next election.”

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Go Steelers!!!!!!

CW on November 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I’m hanging my hat on the 2004 exception.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

As a lifelong Redskins fan, I’m not really sure how to feel about this week. Go Panthers, but as meekly as possible. Rooting for a tie, maybe?

Sgt Steve on November 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I would love a final score Panthers 49 Washington 48. And BTW the one time the Redskins Rule did hold true was 2008. DC won but the nation lost.

Happy Nomad on November 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

has usually determined which party would win the White House all but one time

As I said in the headlines, that one time is a pretty important exception. Having said that, go Panthers!

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Steelers 47 – Enemy 3

Bishop on November 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Does Gumby ruin NFL threads too?

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It would be of great value to every human being, current and future, if the human race would just grow up.

Maybe the Steelers should lose in a symbolic gesture, eh? Wouldn’t that be appropriate?

“throw the game….Kum-bay-ya…Kum-bay-ya”

Hell, why don’t we petition the NFL to spot the Giants, Jets, Patriots, and the Ravens a “win”, just to show how much we care?

BobMbx on November 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Only if we let him.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Sgt Steve on November 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

A tie? Then you will be to blame if we get the dreaded Romney-Biden result.

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Only if we let him.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

So you’re saying there’s a chance…

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Go Falcons! Rise up tonight!
Donald Draper on November 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I used to live in Atlanta – I went to both games in 2010 (packers at Atlanta)

The packers mothers and wives section had to have additional security called in during the playoff game due to items thrown and death threats.

I was personally accosted outside the stadium.

The falcons have been losers, are losers, will be losers – beating the sisters of the blind make get you the #1 seed but Chicago, Seattle, Green Bay, Nyg or the 49ers will expose you in a heartbeat.

Green_Bay_Packers on November 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

A tie? Then you will be to blame if we get the dreaded Romney-Biden result.

aunursa on November 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’ll take that result any day. What does Biden do, anyhow? Talks about how things are big effin’ deals that he didn’t have anything to do with.

Sgt Steve on November 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

LOL! You would be amazed at how easy it is to ignore these jokers.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The bad news, sort of, is that the 3-5 Skins are 1-2 at home and the 1-6 Panthers are 0-3 on the road. The good news, sort of, is that the Panthers are from a red state and the Skins are from bluer than blue, and Romney is going to win (by 315-330 EVs), which will pull the Panthers through to a comfortable win, 30-24.

Go Panthers!!! (and Texans!!!)

TXUS on November 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Da Bearsss, my friend.

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Green_Bay_Packers on November 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

FIFY

I love my Bears, but they look more like paper tigers right now. Played one good team in first half & lost to them. I am happy that they are beating (barely) the teams they should. But let’s see where they are on Dec 17 after the Texans, Niners, Vikes, ‘Hawks, Vikes, and Pack get done with them.

mdenis39 on November 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Rooting for the Redskins as a Giants fan? Oh politics, look what you’ve done to me.

libfreeordie on November 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

LOL! You would be amazed at how easy it is to ignore these jokers.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Obviously it’s not. Every single thread on this site is dominated by gumbyandpokey. Every single discussion is dominated by his inane prognostications.

No amount of chastising guests to “ignore” the man defecating in the corner makes it a pleasant dinner party.

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Normally I wouldn’t pick this game, but we’re hearing once again about the “Redskins Rule.” “Since 1940 — ever since the Redskins moved to D.C. — the team’s outcome in their final game before the presidential election has usually determined which party would win the White House all but one time,” the Washington Post explains. “Every time the Redskins win on their game before the election, the incumbent party wins the presidential vote. If the Redskins lose, the non-incumbent wins.”

Soooooooo … go Panthers, 29-17 over the Redskins.

lol…only 29?

Until I started college in the DC area (UMCP) I never let the ‘Skins bother me much, and left that to the Giants fans to deal with. But after four years of Redskins fans and their insipid attitude, I really got to despise anything about that team. Dear gawd, they got on my every nerve.

Just getting through one disaster with Sandy…and getting a much-needed break from another perennial disaster as the Jets have a bye.

JetBoy on November 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Go Panthers!!! (and Texans!!!)

TXUS on November 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Ya know, I’ve never gotten into the Texans after the Oilers left. I still remember the Luv Ya Blue heydey. My friends and I would always get the SRO tickets and it was great. I think I still have my columbia blue pom poms somewhere in the attic. I did love the tribute to Bum at the playoff game last season. We love our Bum Phillips down here. (A fellow alumni of SFA like moi)

TxAnn56 on November 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Vikings at Seahawks – The Vikings don’t play well on the road, and Seattle plays tough at home; they haven’t lost a game there yet, and I don’t think the Vikes are the team to end that streak. Seahawks edge Minnesota, 31-27.

Them’s some funny ciggies you’re smoking. So long as the Seahawks have Pete Carroll, they will never amount to anything.

Normally I wouldn’t pick this game, but we’re hearing once again about the “Redskins Rule.” … go Panthers, 29-17 over the Redskins.

That’s the danger of letting who you want to win determining who you predict will win.

Stoic Patriot on November 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Go Stillers!

Philly on November 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Romney ad on during Fox football pregame show! BOOM! This is what we need! Get the dummies who don’t pay attention to the news to wake the hell up!

Decoski on November 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’d be more confident about the Giants if they were playing in Pittsburgh, since their history in the Eli Manning/Tom Coughlin era is to save their worst games for the Meadowlands and beat the good teams on the road. But the Sandy factor’s something of a wild card this weekend — hard to tell if it’s a plus or minus for taking them out of their normal struggling and/or losing routine at home, or if the Steelers having to fly in on game day due to the lack of hotel space is a positive or negative factor.

(Actually, with Eli, he’s had two main home towns in his life, New York/New Jersey and New Orleans, and for whatever reason he tends to play his best away from both of them. The Giants close at home with the Steelers, Packers, Saints and Eagles, and even though they lost in Philly on Kevin Gilbride’s dumb-arse coaching decision last month, the Saints game is the only one I’d rather see the Giants be playing at home right now.)

jon1979 on November 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Any Steelers win lately is a faith-based initiative. I hope they have turned the corner and will make it past the regular season as more than a Wildcard.

Philly on November 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I hope I see a ton of Mitt’s politcal ads during the Steelers game. Gotta win PA, Mitt. Remind liberal New Yorkers and New Jerseyites now that 3 NYC area papers endorsed you.

Philly on November 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Pappys’ Pigskin picks of the week.

all the way from Possum Holler, here we go.

Lemme just say…”Waitin’ all day for Faith Hills’ leggy leg legs!!”

St.Louis Cardinals that flew the coop to Northern Mexico (I mean Arizona, same difference) versus the Paul Ryan Packers?

No contest John McCain versus Paul Ryan? Packers sour cheese wins.

Norse Horned Purple heads versus the Seagulls from the Obamanation superstate of Washington?

Go with the Norse on this one, Starbucks is a lefty organization, Bill Gates is buds with Progressive Champion Warren Buffet. NO PICK THE HAWKIES.

Jerry Jones players versus the Peach birds from Georgia. Birds due to crash but Romo sucks every other week so….Birds still have sharp claws, and they have the pokes in their nest. Feathers win.

Eagles at Saints?
Philadelphia will vote for Obama by an 8 to 1 margin. I will never pick the Vickbirds. Pagans from the Bayou for the win.

Panthers at Redskins?
Who is a bigger crybaby than Cam Newton? RGXXLIIXIII is a youngster I know. And I don’t care about that presidential election thing. Carolina kitties go home meowing after this loss.

PappyD61 on November 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha. Panthers’ history is almost as bad the Seahawks’, which is almost as bad the Jaguars’… teams destined to mediocrity. The almost but not quite expansion trio.

If the Panthers will give us a new president I’m all for it.

Rode Werk on November 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Steelers have a tough row to hoe today, as they are up against the best coach in the NFL.

Sorry for you BDS-ers, but the Patriots have a Bye Week. So the second-best coach in the NFL has the weekend off.

Del Dolemonte on November 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Watching football here in PA – and ad after ad hammering Obama.

forest on November 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Does Gumby ruin NFL threads too?

happytobehere on November 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Shhhhhh…it might hear you and drop by just to spite you!

and GO BRONCOS!

scalleywag on November 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

The Redskins are wearing Throwback uniforms – so I think that changes this whole thing. If they win in these uniforms, I think it only results in FDR getting elected.

Anyway, maybe the Panthers are due – or maybe not. They’re pretty amazing at finding a way to lose each week.

TarheelBen on November 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

J.E.T.S…..oh wait, uhhh maybe next week

NY Conservative on November 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

libfreeordie on November 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Now that you’ve been PIDed as DeathToMediaHacks, I’m sure it’s okay if you go back to your swearing and wishing people harm.

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Punt.

Block.

6!

Da Bearsss!

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Cam Newton is so douchey… I hate having to root for him for the “Redskins Rule”.

ninjapirate on November 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

hawkdriver on November 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

and may Tebow get traded to his favorite team. he’d have to cheer for someone who loves America and fear God.

renalin on November 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Hey, they’re playing some Lee Greenwald at the Redskins Game… that’s got to be a point in favor of Romney.

ninjapirate on November 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Safety for Tennessee because the pathetic excuse that the Bears have for a left tackle committed a face mask penalty in the end zone.

Christ.

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Whoops… that’s “Lee Greenwood”… “God Bless the USA”

ninjapirate on November 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Hester with a punt return down to the 10-yard line. Forte runs upright into a pile of Titans at the 3. The rest of the Bears push him, and the Titans, across the goal line for the TD. Robbie “Good As” Gould with the XP. That, my friend, is how you do it!

Bears 14, Titans 2.

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Brian Urlacher with a pick 6!

Bears 21, Titans 2!

And it’s still the 1st quarter!

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I believe that the Steelers will have the advantage if they wear their pajamas again this week.

==========================================================================

Is Polamalu back?

If so, Steelers by 13.

If not, Steelers by 3.

hillbillyjim on November 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Peanut Tillman strips the ball and recovers the fumble. A few plays later Cutler finds Brandon Marshall in the end zone for 6!

Bears 28, Titans 2!

And it’s still the first quarter!

Oh, the humanity!

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Falcons 30, Dallas 20.

Uh, I think you’re being a little too kind to Dallas.

This is a big game.

Romo’s going to throw 7-9 interceptions.

Falcons 49 Dallas 14.

CorporatePiggy on November 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Like the Packers(-10 1/2), Vikings(+4 1/2), Falcons(-4), Saints(-3), Panthers(+3 1/2)

TouchdownBuddha on November 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

The Redskins Rule doesn’t work during an NHL lockout.

Over30 on November 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

14-3 Carolina at the half…

Good enough…I’m calling it. R/R +6

MaxSplinters on November 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Nice, Romney’s up by two scores…

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Nice, Romney’s up by two scores…

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Heh.

In other news, Bears lead the Titans 31-5 at the half. One and five at half-time. Now there’s a square that doesn’t hit very often in the office “squares” pool.

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Er, it was a lockout of the officials, and the union zebras didn’t do any better so far in today’s game.

Steve Eggleston on November 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Living in Wyoming, we get Seahawks games for, I think, regional reasons. I could not CARE LESS about the seahawks, and SOOOOO annoyed that that’s the game we get every week. Wish I had a few extra bones for the NFL package so I could watch Da Bears every week!

Jackalope on November 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I’m still picking the Steelers, although I admit this is a faith-based decision. Pittsburgh 20, Giants 26.

There…all fixed up nice nice.

timberline on November 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Da Bearsss!

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Woot! Woot!

Fallon on November 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Da Bearsss!

JimLennon on November 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Woot! Woot!

Fallon on November 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

HOLLA!!!!

Jackalope on November 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

cripes!…the Jax’s are making my Lions look good!
…we might not have to wait until the last two minutes to wake up!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM

cripes!…the Jax’s are making my Lions look good!
…we might not have to wait until the last two minutes to wake up!

KOOLAID2 on November 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM

’tis a thing of beauty!

Ugly on November 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Redskins rule?

heh……not today……

and the Panthers no less…..

RealMc on November 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

The Redskins rule is alive, and the irony of a Charlotte, NC team is a cherry on top. Odumbo cam look back at this site selection and get the same feeling Napoleon did after Waterloo. And I’m a Skins fan too! 11/6/12 free at last!

skanter on November 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Looks like the Redskins are in control.

p0s3r on November 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Redskins vs Pathers … 4th quarter …. Panthers 21 Skins 6 … 7 mins 10 seconds
left to go …..

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Redskins vs Pathers … 4th quarter …. Panthers 21 Skins 6 … 7 mins 10 seconds
left to go …..

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I give the Redskins a 76% chance of winning this game. Though it drops to 30% if the Panthers score two more touchdowns.

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

The Redskins have the Panthers right where they want them.

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Awesome comment.

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

The Redskins have the Panthers right where they want them.

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Newton’s 89 yard pass deep into Redskins territory was a desperate move showing how far down the Panthers are.

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Final will be Romney by 7 or 8.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Final will be Romney by 7 or 8.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I mean Panthers…Panthers by 7 or 8…

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Dude, you are on fire. Keep ‘em coming!

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Panthers 21 … Skins 13 … under 2 mins ….

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM

according to the Panthers-Redskins game, Romney is officially our next President. Buh bye Bo Diddlie.

timberline on November 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Dude, you are on fire. Keep ‘em coming!

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Didn’t you just see that Redskins TD? I really hate to break it to you, but it’s over. Redskins will win and it won’t even be all that close. I want everybody here to be able to face reality so that they aren’t rudely surprised when the Redskins come out ahead at the end of this.
/gumbo

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Panthers better get a first down here or this might not be over yet.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Why decline the penalty? Kick it again and run another 10 seconds off the clock!

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Doesn’t matter: Romney by 8.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Panthers held on for the win.

bayview on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Redskins lose. Gumballs is wrong yet again.

wargamer6 on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Panthers 21 … Skins 13 …. final …..
bye Obama ….

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

THE REDSKINS LOST, MISTER PRESIDENT ROMNEY!

timberline on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

/gumbo

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Excellent. Equivalent of Hurricane Sandy?

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

1972, 1984, Redskins lose and Romney Romps!!!

skanter on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Well, Romney is going to win. The NFL will never let us down.

philoquin on November 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

So now what? If the Giants win, will the GOP win the Senate too?

timberline on November 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Woot, there it is…Panthers/Romney FTW

Knott Buyinit on November 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I wonder if the press in DC is really starting to panic now?

goflyers on November 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I mean Panthers…Panthers by 7 or 8…

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

By 8. Romney surge wins by 4 or 5.

VegasRick on November 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

As a Redskins fan, I am heartsick and beyond pissed today.

But, if it means the Won and his cronies leave the WH, then I guess I will take one for the team.

Still, it kinda sucks.

DopLar on November 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Redskins lose. Gumballs is wrong yet again.

wargamer6 on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Gumballs….heh heh…

timberline on November 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

So now what? If the Giants win, will the GOP win the Senate too?

If that’s wjay it takes, Reid needs to go too!

skanter on November 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Soooo, I know I live in FL and all, but do I really need to go vote now?? I mean its so totally locked up :P

GG Panthers! (This is the last time I will root for you)

airmonkey on November 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM

THE REDSKINS LOST, MISTER PRESIDENT ROMNEY!

timberline on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Apparently you weren’t watching. They found three extra Redskins field goals in the trunk of a car in the FedEx Field parking lot. SO you neanderthals were wrong again! —Pokey McGumbo

PetecminMd on November 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Still, it kinda sucks.

DopLar on November 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

and a grateful nation thanks you … :D

conservative tarheel on November 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Excellent. Equivalent of Hurricane Sandy?

SAZMD on November 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Actually the whole thing is a good analogue for the election. All the “experts” said that Washington should pull it out narrowly (-3 or -4 in most sportsbooks). Carolina was 1-6, and needed to march into Washington’s home turf and win. Once the game really started Carolina took control and opened up to a decent lead that wasn’t really recognized. Toward the end, there was a bit of stalling that got some fans worried that Washington could pull it out after all, but in the end it was a solid Carolina win.

Also Denver won, which has nothing to do with the election, but I still like it.

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM