It begins continues. Dirty tricks in Ohio.

posted at 4:01 pm on November 3, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

If you can’t beat ‘em, NAB ‘EM!

Perrysburg police arrested four Toledo area men early Friday morning on charges of stealing Mitt Romney campaign signs in Wood and Lucas counties in Northwest Ohio.

The signs were found in a pickup truck owned by Sheet Metal Workers International, Union Local 33 in Parma, according to the police report.

Many of the signs — some measuring as large as 4 feet by 8 feet — were believed to have been put up by members of Northwest Ohio Conservative Coalition, said John McAvoy, the group’s president.

Stories of political signs going “missing” in the final days of an election are as old as the invention of yard signs. This one, of course, has the bonus goodness of having the signs show up in a truck operated by one of the labor unions, pretty much satisfying every stereotype we see in the news. During the 2010 campaign I asked one of the delivery guys who worked for the company making our yard signs if they typically saw a lot of big replacement orders in October. He told me that it was the rule rather than the exception, and quipped jokingly (I hope) that sign thieves probably accounted for a significant portion of their business before sales died off for the following four months.

But technology and the ubiquitous nature of cell phones are making more and more sign thieves think twice. (Or at least they should.) Here’s video shot by one guy last month who simply couldn’t figure out why his Mitt Romney yard signs kept disappearing. He found the answer.

One parting thought on this subject. I know criminals are generally expected to be dumb, but have none of them realized the self-defeating nature of these actions? Most campaigns expect that people picking up yard signs to display at their homes will kick in a contribution to help cover the costs. And angry, ripped off people are even more likely to donate just to get their point across. Every time you steal a yard sign, you’re probably just putting more money in the opponent’s campaign coffers, stupid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Subpeona their timecards. They were getting paid for this.

logis on November 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’ve always found that if you rub your yard sign with poison ivy, you can laugh at the thief.

VioletTiger on November 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

A guy that goes to my church has a cattle ranch a few miles from my house. He put up a homemade FIRE OBAMA sign out in a field next the road. A few days after he put it up it was gone. It was no small sign. I think he made it out of an old door. So it made another one and attached it to 3 metal poles and put it in the same spot. A few days later someone tried to steal it but didn’t get very far. He’d hooked it up to his electric fence. Whoever tried to steal it used a shovel to dig around the poles, but when they tried to lift it out they must have gotten one hell of a jolt.

ReaganWasRight on November 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I like the way you think. :-) How do you dispose of the sign when it comes time without getting yourself or belongings messed up?

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I just remove it in the same stained and crappy clothes I wear when working around the house or boat and such. It does take some doing to get the stuff off your hands, so you might want to use some old gardening gloves too.

RadClown on November 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Seems a bit pompous, but many here are not jurisprudential.

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Pompous? How so? As a Christian, we are called to spread the Word. Christian doctrine is very clear, unless you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ who came into the world to justify the world through his suffering and death for the sins of the world you will not be saved. The consequences of that are eternal death. Mormonism replaces trust in Christ for the full atonement of sins with the requirement for works to prove oneself worthy, replaces eternal life in heaven with a different reward and alters the nature of Christ compared to scripture’s description of the Messiah. Concern that Mormons have been mislead by false doctrine is hardly pompous. Failing to speak truth to false doctrine would be to ignore the Christian calling. However, we can only speak the truth, the Spirit causes the seed sown to grow.

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I’d go out and rip up some Obama signs, in retaliation, but they’re just too hard to find.

Norky on November 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Regarding bumper stickers, I was driving in a Cincinnati suburb 15 minutes ago. I drove behind a minivan with an unreadable bumper sticker. When I eventually pulled close behind it at a light, I could finally see that it said “Obama-Biden.” The font was so small it was like reading the bottom line on the eye doctor’s chart. It was a complete failure as a bumper sticker.

BuckeyeSam on November 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Do Leftists even know that Walmart backs their guy, and their ideologiocy? What must they think of that?

visions on November 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

fify

cableguy615 on November 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

On Nov. 7th, Thank a Catholic: Obama’s support among Catholics has collapsed. BONUS – only 45 attend “Catholics for Obama” rally and bishops are having priests read letters this Sunday specifically touching on “religious freedom”.

Doubt me not when I say: MASSIVE LANDSLIDE.

Mutnodjmet on November 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Norky on November 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You wanna talk about Obama signs being hard to find? Come to the suburbs of Philadelphia, near the Main Line. They exist, but they’re dang hard to find. Nothing like in 2008.

Romney signs, on the other hand, keep showing up (and staying) in very visible places.

Harpazo on November 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I have no problem with your spirituality Sr, only the Snark
May God Bless You

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I put a Romney/Ryan sign in the front window of my ground floor apartment on a heavily-trafficked street right smack in the middle of Obama County, Brooklyn. Came home one night and my window was covered thick in spit, really disgusting and nasty spit. That’s how they roll. I’m surprised they didn’t break the glass too.

Urban Infidel on November 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I was stationed in DC during the first W.Bush campagin. I lived in SE DC down on the river front. I got the same treatment almost every day. One day they went further and broke my rear window. When the cop came, you wouldn’t believe the attitude. I would have had more respect for him if he had just come out and said “look dude, it’s your fault for having the Bush sticker on your car in the first place”.

Alabama Infidel on November 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

OK Another point. I do not believe that Romney’s Mormonism even approaches the Punks atheistic Marxism. Romney will not use his religion for statism, like Moslems and commies would. Romney, like Catholics, wiil set their religion aside for a Secular Government. He will be a fine president because he is a truly good man.

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Where did I state otherwise? As a matter of fact, that is the exact argument I was making. Christians are not biased against Romney regardless of what the media says. When the choice is a jugeared athiestic marxist bent on the destruction of our country as founded or a person who has expressed love for country and exhibited strong business sense and leadership abilities who happens to be mormon, it’s a no-brainer.

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I was out shopping a little while ago with the Junior Logician when we pulled up next to a company work van. It had a bumper sticker saying “The Doctor Will See You Now” next to a picture of POTUS made up like Heath Ledger in the Batman movie….Some of these bumper stickers are quite creative.

LL

Lady Logician on November 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

+100

petefrt on November 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Happens on both sides. Republicans tore down my Bill Nelson signs. I’d be more ticked but Connie Mack is going to lose.

Ric on November 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Ric on November 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

100% rating from NARAL. At least you have the party of death aspect covered.

tom daschle concerned on November 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Ric on November 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Poor slic. Sure they did.

CW on November 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Ric on November 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Poor slic. Sure they did.

CW on November 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Funny, here the only vandalism of signs I see are against Republican signs. Never see any democrat signs go missing or get vandalized.

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM

They just took down our Romney/Ryan sign in Michigan last night that we had out in a public area with 20 other signs. Punks.

HopeHeFails on November 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Even in my part of SOCAL, I have yet to see an Obama yard sign…

Khun Joe on November 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I have noticed several GOP signs near my home come up missing. Strangely the two yards with the most Dem signs seem to have their’s intact. Hmmmm.

CW on November 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM

2 Romney signs stolen from our yard last night. Incompetent thieves left one behind…

BUZLTYR on November 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I like the way you think.

I don’t. The world is flooded with stupid product-ideas. Can’t stand em…unless they’re the competition at which point we trounce ‘em.

Capitalist Hog on November 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

BUZLTYR on November 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Watch the web. Idiots have a knack for self-incriminating. Seriously, everything that is stolen, no matter the value, eventually gets bragged about by stupid-thieves and thugs.

Capitalist Hog on November 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Capitalist Hog on November 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Solaratov on November 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I finally got a Romney/Ryan sticker in October and put it on the rear window of my
car on a Saturday afternoon. By Monday someone had ripped half of it off. Now it
says “mney/Ryan”. But happily that same day a new Romney/Ryan sticker arrived
in the mail. I taped that one up inside the rear window. I’m hoping the hoodlums
don’t slash my tires next time. The ripped half-sticker is still on my car, just to
show the world how much today’s Democrats respect freedom of speech and, well,
democracy.

solideogloria on November 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

It’s rampant here in VA too. Must have been a dozen people by the Victory office today where I was making calls getting signs to replace stolen ones. One gentleman said they egged his house also.

Govgirl on November 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Solaratov on November 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Gun-safety is 24/7. Live by it.

Capitalist Hog on November 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM

That is, if you’re always armed.

Capitalist Hog on November 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Good Grief!

BREAKING: NAACP Takes Over Houston Polling Station, Advocates for President Obama

workingclass artist on November 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

FRAUD- Democrat in NC: ‘I’ve Voted Four Times Already’

And he boasted about it on Facebook

workingclass artist on November 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

FRAUD- Democrat in NC: ‘I’ve Voted Four Times Already’

And he boasted about it on Facebook

workingclass artist on November 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

WOW! If a Republican had done this, Holder would be parachuting into NC right now and the MSM would be there in force to record the play by play of the perp-walk.

Alabama Infidel on November 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

After multiple complaints from voters about the line cutting, Rockford received a phone call from downtown telling her to “stand down.”

So she stood down. Weak.

Capitalist Hog on November 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Gonna steal my sign? Two words: Pit Bull. Run, fool, run.

TinMan13 on November 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

AZfederalist on November 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

While I appreciate your fair-minded (and, I think, accurate) assessment of the connection of Romney’s religion to his behavior as President, your description of LDS doctrines is NOT accurate.

(Getting information about LDS beliefs from non-LDS publications, as many people seem to do, is very much like getting information about the Republican Party from the Obama campaign.)

Mormons believe completely and without reservation in Jesus Christ as our only Savior and Redeemer through his atonement and resurrection (as recorded in the New Testament).

The “works” we do are not a “replacement” for salvation: they are a demonstration of our commitment to following the commandments Christ gave (in the New Testament) to follow him, to feed his sheep, to care for the poor and needy, to preach the gospel, and so forth.

Christ atones for our sins when we repent of them and are baptized (as it says in the New Testament); then we strive to show our gratitude for that gift of grace through our obedience to his words.

Mormons believe that the baptized believers in Christ will be rewarded with eternal life in heaven (that is, they will be where the resurrected Christ dwells) following their own resurrection (as it says in the New Testament). Since this eternal existence is variously characterized by the writers of the New Testament, any “different reward” might or might not be congruent with those characterizations, but is not a “replacement”; the issue cannot be addressed since you do not say specifically what you are thinking of.

Mormons are sometimes said to “alter the nature of Christ” because they actually believe in the separate personages of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost clearly visible in any plain reading of the New Testament rather than in the Greek philosophical construct that gained favor centuries later among Constantinian’s council of churchmen as the trinitarian doctrine of the Nicene Creed (three persons in one substance).

Any number of non-LDS publications will discuss how the argument went down at that time, and how the previously-accepted-but-later-derided-as-heretic belief in three separate holy beings lost out primarily on political points.

I suppose the restoration of a theological doctrine to its original meaning could be considered an “alteration” of an earlier alteration.

AesopFan on November 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Govgirl on November 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Hey govgirl, which office are you at? I’m ringing doorbells in Bristow. Last weekend in Richmond. We are going to win!

YehuditTX on November 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Come folks. When you stock up on guns and ammo, buy a motion detector camera.

Get one with flash.

seven on November 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Who is influenced by yard signs? Is anyone that frickin’ impressionable?
I can maybe picture a stoopid dog going by in the car passing yard signs thinking “Yep yep gonna go with Romney!”, “Nope nope gonna go with Odouchebag!,” “Nope nope, gonna go with Romney!”….”SQUIRREL!”… “Yep yep, gonna go with Romney.” “Nope nope, gonna go with Odumbo.” ….

justltl on November 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM

“Yep yep, gonna go with Romney!” “GARY JOHNSON?!” “Ermm, I’m not that stoopid.” “Yep yep, gonna go with Romney!” “Nope nope, gonna go with Odirtball!” “Nope nope, gonna go with Romney.”

justltl on November 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM

AesopFan on November 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Were that that were true, but its not. See, like the secret handshakes you don’t talk about, nor the never ending baptisms for people long dead, nor the endless pregnancies on foreign planets and the best one, the “categorical rape” of Mary, they teach you incorrectly about trinitarian dogma.

WIthout going to it here, I’d recommend you review the Athanasian Creed, which is standard dogmatic theology among most mainstream christian religions even though many here have never heard of it nor read it. They still believe it as a matter of truth.

JP1986UM on November 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I have always wondered if there is a market for electified political lawn signs, ones that delivered a healthy dose of 50,000 volts if you so much as touch it.

pilamaye on November 4, 2012 at 7:28 AM

If Hotair is so concerned about dirty tactics, one would think that the site would list violations on both sides.

Dave Rywall on November 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM

My favorite sign vandalism story so far this year involves an Obama sign that kept getting torn apart in the Austin, TX area. The owners of the house would come out and find the sign all ripped to pieces in the morning. So they set up a hidden camera to catch the culprit.

They did. The next morning when they checked the camera, they saw that it had caught a deer enter their yard, walk over to the Obama sign, and then chew it to pieces. What made it even funnier was that they had other yard signs, but the deer only went after the Obama sign. (Let’s hear it for the choom gang, I guess.)

I will say that they did post the video. Saw it at the website of one of the Texas newspapers.

No Truce With Kings on November 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Who is influenced by yard signs? Is anyone that frickin’ impressionable?

Who is influenced by billboards? “T-Mobil” “No, Verizon..”

I would imagine the primary value political yard signs is a subconscious one… “It’s okay to vote for Romney.”

I am more than happy doing something to influence the low information voter than simply allowing my children’s future to be decided by those who vote on a whim, if at all.

BUZLTYR on November 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM

It should be a civil rights violation punishable by time in federal prison to remove or deface yard signs. They’re taking away your political free speech!

During the primary I kept my Mitt Romney sign in the front window. When it shifted to the general election I cut the sign in two, front and back, and tacked them to 3/8 inch plywood with 10 upholstery tacks a piece. Then I zip tied them to the railing on my front porch.

I really hate sign thieves and vandals, and they’re all Democrats without exception.

claudius on November 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

BUZLTYR on November 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM

In NW Montana an Obama sign sends out both conscious and subconscious signals that the person is an idiot.

claudius on November 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Could someone who lives near Parma go to that Sheet Metal Workers Union Office and return a bit of justice on their sign over and over and over. No matter how many times they repair or replace, just keep returning justice to them, until they repent. I suppose it could be painted over or removed or maybe even a Romney Ryan sign placed over it, that would be real nice.

j bo on November 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

j bo on November 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Ah, my hometown of Parma – once again, nothing surprises me.

The Sheet Metal Workers Union building is located on Corporate Drive, right off Snow Road and Chevy Blvd, next to the Chevy Metal Plant, which is a metal fabrication factory. The SMW building is quite large, and it would be a chore to do any damage to their facility. But why would you want to play their game? They know their team is in trouble, and desperate times call for desperate measures. We’re better than that, and smarter than that.

Parma has enough problems. It doesn’t need any more.

Ygritte on November 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I live in the Dayton area, and I’ve also been a victim of Liberal Tolerance©.

I went to the Paul Ryan rally a week ago at Young’s Dairy and bought a sign that had a picture of Uncle Sam that said “OBAMA, for lack of leadership… YOU’RE FIRED!!!” I put it in my yard that Saturday afternoon, and Monday morning it was gone.

They left my Romney/Ryan sign. Maybe it was the neighborhood Civility Czar that thought it was too harsh. Whoever it was better not let me find out who they are.

Dexter_Alarius on November 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM