Video: Loathsome nanny-state mayor going to give you “something to cheer about” whether you like it or not; Update: Marathon finally canceled

posted at 5:23 pm on November 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

He seems to be one of maybe three people in New York who think this is a good idea, but he can get away with that because he’s term-limited and therefore enjoys all sorts of extra “flexibility.” Something to remember when you’re in the booth on Tuesday. At least he’s consistent, though: When it comes to knowing what’s in your best interest, he’s a better authority than you are.

[P]eople aren’t good at describing what is in their own interest … What leaders should do is make decisions as to what they think is in the public interest based on the best advice that they can get, and then try and build a constituency and bring it along.

How many members are there in his “let’s have a marathon while people are freezing on Staten Island” constituency? Not even his pal Christine Quinn, the city council president, is with him. One of his basic problems here, I think, is that the marathon is just way too boutique an event to use as some sort of rallying point for the city. Thousands of people participate, I know, but beyond those who are running, no one cares. If we were talking about a Yankees World Series game instead of a marathon, that’d be a closer call. If you want to use sports as catharsis, make sure you pick one that the wider population is invested in.

Walter Russell Mead spies the demise of Bloombergmania, just a day after he tried to juice his national profile by endorsing Obama:

Michael Bloomberg must have hoped that Sandy would be his own 9/11. A population in shock turned to the mayor in their hour of need. He dominated the airwaves; he issued decrees. He seized the occasion to speak out on the big issues: climate change, endorsing a president. He worked to project an air of authority and calm: the Marathon would go on.

It must have looked for a while as if he had done a Rudy and resuscitated a tired mayoralty, relaunching a national career. Perhaps a cabinet appointment in a second Obama administration, perhaps another shot at an independent presidential campaign.

It is looking less that way by the hour. As the true dimensions of the damage in New York gradually appear, as the death toll mounts and as chaos at the gas stations and devastation in Staten Island undercut the narrative that the city has responded effectively to the challenge, Mayor Bloomberg looks more like the hapless officials of New Orleans than Rudy Giuliani or Chris Christie.

Fair points, but even if the recovery after the storm had been smoother, without gas stations turning into mini-Thunderdomes and people without power resorting to copping a squat in their hallways, Bloomberg wasn’t going anywhere nationally. His legacy has already been defined by small things. Giuliani will be remembered chiefly for the aftermath of 9/11, and Mayor No Labels will be remembered for Big Gulps and smoking bans. I don’t underestimate what a billion dollars could do by way of image enhancement, but if Rudy, a vastly more charismatic politician, couldn’t parlay his legacy into something bigger, then I wouldn’t bet on Bloomberg doing so either.

Just as I’m writing this, a rumor’s spreading on Twitter:

Stand by for updates. Exit quotation: “If they take one first responder from Staten Island to cover this marathon, I will scream.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Update: Looks like I got this post in just under the wire. Bloomberg held out as long as he could but ultimately that constituency he built only included one person:

The lights just came back on in the east Village for 67,000 people. Presumably he didn’t want media outrage over the marathon cannibalizing the good news about power returning and the subways coming back online. Poof: Bye-bye, marathon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Rosie Ruiz is still planning to run it.

GreenBlade on November 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Ni-i-ice, I had to really think about that one… :)

Fallon on November 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

So now all these runners are in New York where there’s no subway, etc. to go to hotels were displaced New Yorkers are staying, when presumably they don’t have a flight back OUT until at least Sunday…

Wow. These people are geniuses!

UnderstandingisPower on November 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I would suggest that many, if not virtually all, of these runners have never been in a hurricane and just assumed it would decimate the local trailer parks and leave everything else alone.

Just think about Florida. You can tell who down there decided to ride out a storm when the next one comes. Those are the folks who pack up and leave first. Its the new arrivals who think its exciting…right up to the time the flood water consumes their big screen TV and arugula snack tray.

Hurricane veterans haul ass. You only have to go hungry once to that lesson.

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Oh, not my way – send them to our friends in Long Island.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Prayers to your friends in Long Island most certainly, and to you for being a source of strength for them.

PatriotGal2257 on November 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Days late and dollars wasted….you’d think that Bloomberg was a Democrat ;)

ProfShadow on November 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I gotta say, I feel for the runners who trained for this, spent a small fortune to go to NY, and who will be bitterly disappointed by its cancellation … But my sympathy cannot overrun my dark hearted joy at seeing this prig of a man, a moralist with money, looking like the a-hole he is ad always was.

MaxMBJ on November 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Bloomberg – a real Nowhere Man.

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM

NOT… I’m pretty sure that the real Nowhere Man’s nowhere plans didn’t actually steal the freedom, liberty or jeopardize the lives of nobody.

SWalker on November 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Reichsmarshall “Ray Nagin” Bloomberg has just declared himself Duke of New York with Brian Williams to serve as his effeminate envoy.

Meanwhile, Snake Plissken is pissed off, taking names and prioritizing the fecal roster whilst opening a can of whupass reportedly somewhere near Gracie Mansion.

viking01 on November 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

so much concern for a swing state/

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I am beginning to suspect you are a sociopath.

NotCoach on November 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Now, wait a minute, NC. After all this NY may be a swing state!

SailorMark on November 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

couldn’t parlay his legacy into something bigger

I totally agree, but Bloomy is too delusional to have his presidential plans derailed by his ridiculous Big Gulp, smoking, and transfat bans or this post-hurricane debacle which his idiocy seems to have greatly contributed to–either that or he can’t think straight due to lack of sleep and he didn’t think anywhere near straight to begin with.

stukinIL4now on November 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

GOOD!!!

Who gives a flying flip about a sporting event when thousands upon thousands of NY citizen are still without even the most basic necessities of food, heat, and shelter? Ignoring the desperate need of those poor Staten Island citizens by their city leadership so they could focus precious and limited resources on a stupid foot race was outrageous!

Priorities, man, priorities!

mom29js on November 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

ah, 3 days ago I was asking more attention for the storm and I was told “get over it, the storm has passed”, and “the rest of the country go on”, and now someone says me this?!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Three days ago you were whoring for attention and today you’re whoring for more. Nobody is going to defend themselves from an emotionally stunted whore.

NotCoach on November 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

stukinIL4now on November 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Mike Bloomberg – The Republican Obama.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Maybe Bloomberg has dementia. It was definitely a loathsome thing to even consider going ahead with a marathon while people are digging in dumpsters for food. For the love of God, what was he thinking? If he were any kind of “leader” the very first thing he would have done is cancel it.

scalleywag on November 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Ace has an awesome rant on this.

John the Libertarian on November 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

+ 100..Yes he does..It is pure poetry..:)

Dire Straits on November 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

although this is simply “common sense” to most of America, apparently, the “let them eat cake” NY limousine liberals had a hard time coming to the conclusion that the homeless starving people need the hotels and generators more than the “NY Cocktail Circuit” needs the Marathon parties…

You cannot make this sh*t up…

Strike Hornet on November 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Well, if the bridges to Staten Island (Goethals and Verazzano) will be open without the marathon, could Bloomie use them to truck some big-@$$ generators in from New Jersey?

As for the marathon, Bloomie should re-schedule it in the spring, and tell all the runners that they are pre-qualified.

Steve Z on November 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Rosie Ruiz is still planning to run it.

GreenBlade on November 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

You are old. I remember her.

derft on November 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Rosie Ruiz is still planning to run it.

GreenBlade on November 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

But how? The subway’s not running.

stukinIL4now on November 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

nice work Bloomy! a couple of my son’s friends got on an airplane for that marathoe at around noon today after being assured it was going to happen…

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Yeah. My heart bleeds for your son’s friends’ inconveniences.

Oh wait! No it doesn’t…

Just got word that a friend’s son was killed in the storm. He was a tugboat captain or first mate. don’t have the details, but I can’t imagine the pain.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Mitoch55 on November 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Your nom s/b nether.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Priorities, man, priorities!

mom29js on November 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Oh, there were priorities involved mom, don’t get that messed up. Staten Island is apparently the Redneck/Flyover Republican capital of New York City. Bloomingidiot was just displaying the typical Marxist ideological solution to the embarrassing problem presented by Conservatives. Give them the scraps after even the dogs and pigs are done eating.

SWalker on November 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Wow. Are you a jack@$$? Not everything is about politics.

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

of course it is! this is HA! HA will now highlight all the stories that make the rescue look bad so obama and his storm stricken endorsers\newlovers look bad as well.
while a valiant effort, its really to short time to create a narrative to influence the election.
but go on!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

If Bloomie in his addled little mind is contemplating a run for president sometime in the future, I hope this will be hung around his neck and not forgotten as an example of his complete and total incompetence and arrogance.

Likewise, Benghazi should be the first and foremost thing that comes up whenever the names “Obama” and “Hillary Clinton” are mentioned if they are contemplating a run for the presidency, again. Their dubious and destructive legacies should never be forgotten and should be the catalyst that destroys their careers forever.

PatriotGal2257 on November 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

So much wasted time, materials, money !!!!
Bloomy, you OWN this, as did Nagin and whatshername in NOLA !!!!

Livid, I am … Maybe I shouldn’t be online……. ARRGGHH !!!

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Bloomberg was a Democrat until 2001 and then switched to Republican until 2007 after which he became an Independent. After this mess, I don’t think any party will want to be associated with him. Maybe the Greens?

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Mike Bloomberg – The Republican Obama.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Bloomingidiot is NOT a Republican, despite pretending to be one between 2001 and 2007, he is currently a registered Independent, but is really a phucking Marxist.

SWalker on November 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

The major issue to resolve:
(1) How do you get electricity back on quickly for resources that need it the most. I’m not talking about houses, just for applications such as pumping gas and water and for emergency centers, hospitals, etc.

With windmills installed on the roof, the winds before, during and after the storm should supply enough power to run the facility, in addition to appropriate-size storage batteries.

(2) How do you keep the fuel flowing?

Thats a great question…see, the plan is to do away completely with gasoline. Have you heard about the Chevy Volt? Don’t need to pump gas. Just charge up (see #1 above).

(3) What do you do with people that will be displaced long term?

We construct low-cost, high rise, high density housing projects away from vulnerable areas (coastlines, fault lines, forests, etc…), in an environmentally sustainable manner and location.

(4) What’s the best way to supply people with food and water?

Food Stamps.

A big part of this could be resolved by taking personal responsibility.

Thats racist thinking. You don’t belong in this fundamentally transformed, post-constitutional, post-racial nation.

I live in western NC, but I learned my lesson seeing the devastation of Katrina and flooding in TN. I don’t expect anyone to take care of my family.

Obviously you consider yourself a sovereign person. Resistance is futile.

However, you’d think that states would start seeing that every widespread natural disaster results in very similar situations as far as their populace is concerned. Why is there no preplanning for this stuff?

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Imagine how much worse it would have been under the previous administration.

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Exactly…

SWalker on November 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

LIVES on the line, and you go there, a**hat ??
We can’t help the FACT that Dems screw up this stuff, at every turn !

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

people without power resorting to copping a squat in their hallways

Umm, might I suggest… a bucket or some other receptacle? Or even the cat’s litter box? I’ve heard of people “not having a pot to p*** in”, but — really?

Any HAers with military, police, fire, Boy Scout, Girl Scout, etc., backgrounds, let me suggest that after the East Coast digs out from under this (and they will, especially if we help — I have great faith in the human spirit), if you offered to teach a basic survival preparedness class, you would probably need to rent Carnegie Hall to seat all the eager students.

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Wyoming would work, too.

Fallon on November 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

OI!!!

BigWyo on November 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

NotCoach on November 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

you really lose the argument when you insult like that after I pointed out the hypocrisy!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Far from it. We’d be arrested for terrorist activity, as defined by Big Sis.

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I think tone-deafness like Bloomberg’s runs to the bone.

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I think he’s got a screw loose. At least one.

Have to wonder, with judgement as bad as his, how he ever succeeded in business.

petefrt on November 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

nice work Bloomy! a couple of my son’s friends got on an airplane for that marathon at around noon today after being assured it was going to happen…

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I hope they get there and home again safely. Of course, young men being young men, they might decide it would be more exciting to stay to help! Either way, safe travel to them.

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

LIVES on the line, and you go there, a**hat ??
We can’t help the FACT that Dems screw up this stuff, at every turn !

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I really don’t think any party cornered the market on competence or incompetence, your argument is just unhinged partisanship!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I guess if the deli and the supermart is open on the upper east-side, it doesn’t matter what has happened elsewhere.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I’m sorry to hear that. I watched the video of the people in Staten Island. They are now going building to building pulling out bodies, and marking them like they did in Katrina.

As for the marathon, I heard it was the sponsors who pulled out, so I hope Bloomberg and Obama do not receive credit for doing the right thing. They had nothing to do with it.

Night Owl on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Night Owl on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Thanks for the info..Good to see you.:)

Dire Straits on November 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Is that an apolitical comment?

derft on November 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

LOL.

By the way, I’m not so sure your Volt idea would work out well for a hurricane. Apparently, electric cars don’t deal well with salt water.

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Far from it. We’d be arrested for terrorist activity, as defined by Big Sis.

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hmm. Something in that… Well, after January 2013, then! Most of the cleanup will be done, but the storm damage will still be fresh in everyone’s minds. Heck, if I had any credentials in the area of disaster prep, I’d go do it.

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

We’re talking the BIG GOV’t party !! Which one is that, pray tell ????
When one has to suspend federal regulations in order to get Americans the help they need, IT’S TOO DAMN BIG !!!

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Do you want to know why I wanted the NYC Marathon to continue? There’s one single name why.

Audréy Renée-Maree Hitchcock.

The New Jerk City Marathon should not have been cancelled.

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Has Bloomberg even ventured out to see the storm damage? I haven’t seen him anywhere but behind a mic.

scalleywag on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

A Dozen Obama-Subsidized Fisker Electric Cars Caught Fire and Exploded in a Port Lot After Being Flooded by Sandy
—Ace

Posted by Ace at 11:28 AM Comments

More great stuff from Ace. Those pesky batteries. Just can’t get them wet.

talkingpoints on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Bloomberg tried to be Rudy Giuliani, but ended up as Ray Nagin.

merlich on November 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

“Character counts”, “the cream rises to the top”, and other quotable quotes come to mind. Poor progs…they want to do the “right thing” so they can look good, but when push comes to shove, they just don’t know how. In times of crisis they can’t summon up an ounce of compassion among them because it wasn’t in them to begin with.

mom29js on November 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

ESPN Track and Field analyst explaining that there will be an economic loss with the cancellation.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

MaxMBJ on November 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Indeed. That said, someone here posted that some of the runners in town were going to opt out of the marathon and spend race day wearing their marathon number bibs and passing out water and supplies to those in need. That’s something to cheer for!

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Is that an apolitical comment?

derft on November 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I don’t think HA comenters appreciate those, learned that 3 days ago!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Good on ya ESPN. “honestly the race does not go into those areas.”

Effing brilliant.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m genuinely sorry for your loss.

scalleywag on November 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Oh, no doubt — but I bet that even the amount of money the marathon might have made for the city would be dwarfed by the cost of all the storm damage.

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

From your link:

Approximately 16 of the $100,000+ Fisker Karma extended-range luxury hybrids were parked in Port Newark, New Jersey last night when water from Hurricane Sandy’s storm surge apparently breached the port and submerged the vehicles. As Jalopnik has exclusively learned, the cars then caught fire and burned to the ground.

Cars that burn underwater. Hmmmmmm……is that safe?

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

ESPN brilliant analysis.

“Bring out yer dead, just not to close to the race.”

Wonder if there is any ESPN tapes from post Katrina days.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Effing brilliant.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Sheesh !!

Sorry for the loss of your son’s friend, Roy.
Dang.

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

i don’t cuss too often here at HA, but what a dumb-f*uck this bloomberg is.

good god.

DrW on November 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Wonder if there is any ESPN tapes from post Katrina days.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I’d bet my old fedora that there are countless tapes calling Bush a racist etc. etc. in post Katrina in the ESPN archives.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Lets pray there isn’t an International Emergency Aid Hander-outer Union. If these volunteers aren’t members……

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

[silent tears]

Prayers going up.

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I don’t think HA comenters appreciate those, learned that 3 days ago!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Saw your post this morning. That is why I pulled your chain. The devil made me do it.

derft on November 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Night Owl on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

This. Just as Eric Bolling predicted.

petefrt on November 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thanks for the info..Good to see you.:)

Dire Straits on November 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

You’re welcome. Good to see you too!

Night Owl on November 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Bloomers should have had the runners who wanted to, run the race but have them go to areas that need help.

GoodBoy on November 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I hope they mention that it will now not divert much needed local police etc. away from where they are desperately needed.

I hope Bloomberg makes good use of the generators that were rented.

Mitsouko on November 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I guess one arrogant, narcissistic SOB in Washington DC isn’t enough for New York so they got their own, as if their other politicians don’t do enough damage. Hopefully this mini-obama with a Napoleon Complex will just stay in NY and limit his damage to the helpless sheep that elected him, perhaps next time there is an election they will look for someone who will actually look out for the peoples interest instead of trying to dictate who,what where why and when of peoples lives although New Yorkers don’t seem to have a recent history of taking care of themselves. His competence is pretty much on par with Nagin and Blanco

Exgunman on November 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I hope Bloomberg makes good use of the generators that were rented.

Mitsouko on November 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Nope, not at all. Just “If the Giant are going to play, then why not the marathon?”

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Runners organizing to help.

Facebook link.

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

The fact that Bloomberg is able to be elected mayor – let alone of the largest city – and that after becoming a very rich man – baffles the living hell out of me.

We are scroomed as a species.

CycloneCDB on November 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Cars that burn underwater. Hmmmmmm……is that safe?

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Might be a good way to start a fire if you’re out of matches. Open hood…dump in a bucket of salt water….voila: the smores are ready.

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

And yet New York will vote for the big gov loving Progressive EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

And New Jersey too.

Sadly you get what you vote for.

PappyD61 on November 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Who is that Rabble with Nanny Bloomberg in the video?

Kjeil on November 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m so sorry for your loss..Heaven is indeed improved with her presence there..

Dire Straits on November 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The New Jerk City Marathon should not have been cancelled.

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I am sorry about your sweet little girl, John.

Mitsouko on November 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

John, that is heartbreaking, but this isn’t just another day in New York. Resources needed for people facing non-average days were being used not to keep people fed and warm.

NotCoach on November 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

We’re talking the BIG GOV’t party !! Which one is that, pray tell ????

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

let me see if I get this straight, dems are screwing this up(as they allways do) because goverment is too big, and if goverment was smaller, rescue operations would go better? is this it?

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Like I’ve said repeatedly Sandy is Obamas Katrina!!

…..and Christ Christie is just a pole dancing sellout for giving Obama that hug/photo opp.

PappyD61 on November 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m sorry for your loss, John.

kingsjester on November 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Bloomberg hell, why isn’t the press screaming at Oblama the way they did at Bush?

People are dumpster diving for food for crying out loud!

dogsoldier on November 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Aww, marie-let-them-eat-from-the-dumpsters-antoinette-bloomberg finally got it. How sensitive of him to think of the poor stranded people without electricity as opposed to a bunch of narcissist marathon runners (can somebody remind me again what is with this marathon thingy anyways? Like you can’t run on your own at the track or on the machines, at the gym, if the purpose is keeping fit).

jimver on November 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You make a good point. All the survival preparedness classes center around leaving the urban area and surviving in the hinterlands. A far more interesting concept would be to train people how to properly shelter in place in a large urban environment.

Especially when your neighbors start laying cable in the hallway.

TexasDan on November 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Like I’ve said repeatedly Sandy is Obamas Katrina!!

PappyD61 on November 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

People eating from dumpsters is a more potent image than his bomber jacket photo session….

jimver on November 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

OBAMAS KATRINA!!!

Spread the word far and wide.

PappyD61 on November 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I just saw on FB that friends of mine who live in Connecticut are still without power. A house two doors down from them was destroyed by a tree and 4 houses on their block burned down. So yeah, hard for me to feel sorry for Bloomie.

txmomof6 on November 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This is what hard-core libs like Bloomin’ Idjit and Obama do. Live in their cocoon and make a plan. Announce that plan only to find out the real world think it sucks. Walk it back.

What terribly over-matched fools these two are.

RedNewEnglander on November 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

There’s hope for you, yet !???
Of COURSE it would !!
It’s being proven before your very eyes.
THOUSANDS of volunteers there, or on their ways, and have to stand down UNTIL the freaking regulations are suspended in order to help/distribute !!
If you could only see thru YOUR haze of politicization, you’d actually see that.

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Just read there is an NBC telethon tonight and every guest is a major Obama backer.

That is going to be REAL impartial – NOT

gophergirl on November 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Doomberg is such a twit, they’re still finding bodies and people are with out food, fuel and housing. what goes on in the fools head is beyond absurd.

esnap on November 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

John Hitchcock on November 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

My heartfelt sympathies, John. Many prayers for you also.

PatriotGal2257 on November 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I head that obamas love for the country comes from his loins! lol!

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Okay I hate to do this but in fairness to Bloomberg, it was also the New York Road Runners who had pushed to keep it on too. They had offered to donate to relief $26.20 for every runner who started the race, a pojected $1 million. ING and the Rubin family, who are sponsors, are donating $1.6 millon. They expected 40,000 runners, don’t know how many actually have made it though. I imagine many changed their minds.

Deanna on November 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Anybody need a good smile ?? I do/did ….

WOW !! Yay for R&R !!!

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Risible optics, sinking optimism.

RushBaby on November 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Why is there no preplanning for this stuff?

ReaganWasRight on November 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Salt rationing and regulating Big Gulps isn’t enough for you…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Anybody need a good smile ?? I do/did ….

WOW !! Yay for R&R !!!

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

That’s way better than the picture I posted in the other thread.

Bring it home Mitt – BRING IT HOME!

gophergirl on November 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

There’s hope for you, yet !???
Of COURSE it would !!
It’s being proven before your very eyes.

volunteers dont have the assets necessary to perform hard rescues. but apart from that, although I believe volunteers would help, I would really prefer not to be dependent of someones else good will. either i would contract relief from some insurance company( the real libertarian way), or I really prefer to see some politician accountable to lose their job if they did not aided me when in distress as they supposed to.

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

ok.

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

(Apologies to Randy Newman)

Staten Island, 2012

What has happened down here is the wind has changed
Clouds roll in from the south and it start to rain
Rained real hard and rained for a real long time
Six feet of water in the streets of Jersey shoreline

Ocean rose all day
The ocean rose all night
Some people got lost in the flood
Some people got away alright
The ocean has busted through clear down to Brigantine
Six feet of water in the streets of Jersey shoreline

Staten Island, Staten Island
They’re trying to wash us away
They’re trying to wash us away
Staten Island, Staten Island
They’re trying to wash us away
They’re trying to wash us away

President Obama came up in a big jet plane
With a trans-fat man with an iPad in his hand
The President say, “Trans-fat man, isn’t it a shame What the ocean has done
To this poor cracker’s land.”

Staten Island, Staten Island
They’re trying to wash us away
They’re trying to wash us away
Staten Island, Staten Island
They’re trying to wash us away
They’re trying to wash us away

Christien on November 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

.. I really prefer to see some politician accountable to lose their job if they did not aided me when in distress as they supposed to.
nathor on November 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Common ground.
Bloomy should be toast !!!

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Libertarian. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yeah – when you have to contract out your libertarian ideals, I think you may have lost the point.

oldroy on November 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Err…post that in English please??

BigWyo on November 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM